Chris Christie: No, I will not tone it down for the convention

posted at 11:21 am on August 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Heh. Nor would we want you to, governor. Via CBS:

Governor Chris Christie is on his seventh draft of his keynote address for next week’s Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. …

The famously brash governor said he has no plans to tone it down for the national audience.

“I don’t think they have any expectation nor have they requested that I have a personality-ectomy between now and next Tuesday,” Christie told Haskell. “They know what they’re buying,” Christie added.

Leastaways, I certainly wouldn’t want him to tone it down — the conventions are a chance for the parties to showcase their multifaceted personalities. We’ve got wonks, serious-faces, and wizened politicos galore, and I think a little touch of Christie’s bombastic, don’t-mess-with-me-PUNK bodaciousness could be just the thing to really get this party started. The keynote slot isn’t something to be taken lightly; Barack Obama gave the DNC’s keynote address at their 2004 convention, and just look at him now! (Womp, womp.)

Also of interest via the AP, in addition to Bill Clinton and Elizabeth Warren, here are some more of the slated speakers who’ll be adding their personalities into the mix at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte the following week. Hmmm:

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, former Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick are among prominent Democrats who will speak at their party’s national convention in Charlotte, N.C.

The Democratic National Committee released a roster of speakers Monday. Besides Emanuel, Kaine and Patrick, speakers include Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley and former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland.

Comments

Democratic National Convention in Charlotte the following week. Hmmm:Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel

I take it Chic-Fil-A won’t be catering that event??

right2bright on August 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Let it fly Governor

jake-the-goose on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

They should invite some union leaders and put them in front of him to make it more realistic.

tommer74 on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

OT sorta: The Atlantic: Kill Boy Scouts Like Rabid Dogs

When will your kid be put in jail for hate speech?

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

All I want for Christmas is another Zell Miller moment!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C58YAONY_hE&feature=related

brewcrew67 on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I’ve got to say it: why still no word about Palin speaking?
A third of the party is virtually in love with her, and she is arguably the one speaker that is the most dynamic in engaging the independent voter. And she will bring a big audience! What goes?

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Murderer’s row. I won’t be watching.

VegasRick on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I’m okay with this.

This election will be about the path we as a nation want to take. If now’s not a time to swing for the fences, when is?

Washington Nearsider on August 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Let ‘er rip, Big Guy!

Naturally Curly on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

brewcrew67 on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Best political high of my life was Zell’s speech. Hopefully, we’ll get that and more from both Christie and Artur Davis.

ardenenoch on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

EXCELLENT!

aunursa on August 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The Left are crazed.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I’ve got to say it: why still no word about Palin speaking?

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

They have Huckabee/Akin instead!

the_nile on August 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Chris Christie: No, I will not tone it slim down for the convention

The devil made me do it.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I’ve got to say it: why still no word about Palin speaking?

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Wonderful! Another thread hijacked by people whining about Palin’s not speaking at the convention. Enough already!!! I’m sick of the crybabies.

Slightly OT but good news, TPM reinforcements are headed to VA from “safe” states to help with get out the vote efforts. Virginia is winnable but it is going to take some effort. Tim Kaine is a total douchebag but he is a popular douchebag. Mitt Romney is apt to get more support downstate but Northern Virginia is as commie as ever.

Happy Nomad on August 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I’ve got to say it: why still no word about Palin speaking?

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

WASHINGTON — Sarah Palin says she won’t speak at the Republican National Convention later this month in Tampa, Fla.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/13/no-speech-from-palin-at-republican-convention/#ixzz24CAgofei

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The DNC Sleaze Brigade…wow-zer..

hillsoftx on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Oh joy, Lurch is going to put everybody to sleep. Yeah, that’ll really bring in the viewers; maybe insomnia-sufferers.

One of Life’s great unsolved mysteries is how this droll gasbag is still around. I guess there really are phenomally-stupid voters.

SnarkySam on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Indeed, don’t tone it down. Crank it up! We need a little more testosterone and a whole lot less granola in the GOP. I’m tired of watching the libs project their hatred and prejudice onto us and have no one from the right point out their lies.

Wino on August 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

SnarkySam on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I’ve got to wonder if he’ll be “reporting for duty” again.

Happy Nomad on August 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Gov. Hickenlooper has no idea how he is tarnishing his name by speaking at the DNC…one of the very few non-Commie Dems left..

hillsoftx on August 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The DNC Sleaze Brigade…wow-zer..

hillsoftx on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Isn’t that redundant?

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I don’t want any politician to tone it down. That’s the problem with them, in the first place – the lies and the falsities don’t allow us to see to what extent they will become parasites in the Beltway.

That said, I don’t watch conventions. The last thing that I want to watch is a bunch of politicians smiling, pandering and telling us about liberty – when all they do is expand the State.

Re: Toning it down – I would watch the Communist convention, if they were really true to themselves and waved their red flags, with hammers and sickles.

But, they won’t do that – they’d rather hide what they really are.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The Democratic convention is gonna be a total snoozefest.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

terryannonline on August 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Actually, the quote was “No, ya stupid jerk, I will not tone it down for the convention.”

BigAlSouth on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

THEY have Huckabee/Akin instead!
the_nile on August 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I’ll take at least the Akin part as a bad joke, and she has no connection to Huckabee in any way. THEY are us. Make that the battle cry if need be.
Only the moderates and center leftists or overeducated establishment types join the Dems in the unwarranted mockery of Palin. I think Ryan has helped unify us, but if there is to be a unified party, Palin needs to be a central figure. Without her, at least if she is dissed, the party to me it seems will be largely without a full core. She is arguably the voice of the party … how could her voice not be heard at the convention?

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Christie should bring a giant can labeled “Whoop Ass” out on stage, crack it open, and then pull a huge wooden spoon from his pocket.

Bring it, Biggie, leave nothing behind.

Bishop on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That’s why you’re there, my man. That’s why you’re there.

de rigueur on August 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

…nor have they requested that I have a personality-ectomy between now and next Tuesday…

Well, how about a nice stomach-stapling then? Liposuction?

swinia sutki on August 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Hmmm Patrick, Warren, Kerry all from Massachusetts. Romney former Governor of Massachusetts. I wonder what the theme will be. I guess there weren’t any living Kennedy’s available to join the mud slinging.

bsinc1962 on August 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

How is Palin the voice of the party?

terryannonline on August 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

how could her voice not be heard at the convention?

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I think Joe is trying out for the ‘concern troll’ role.

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Bishop on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I think he should walk on stage wielding a Cluebat™.

Red Cloud on August 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

…who’s catering the event?

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Am I hearing a bias against weight challenged people being bandied about in this room?

Isn’t that “bigoted” behavior ?

Heavy people have “demographics” too, ya know !!

FlaMurph on August 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Why is Joe Biden going to Tampa during the GOP convention?

WEIRD !!!

jake-the-goose on August 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

…who’s catering the event?

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

dunkin donuts?

lorien1973 on August 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

For the party that claims to be the “party of diversity,” there’s not much diversity.

GOPRanknFile on August 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Most Americans are overweight. We win!

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

What an awe inspiring lineup. This group will stir ‘em all up, for sure. All they need now is to spice it up a bit with Harry Reid, who’d just set the place on fire, every sentence bringing a standing O.

Seriously, I think it’s telling that they featuring no one who might outshine the FSP (First Shinola President) whereas Romney and the RNC have no such fears by putting Christie on the dais. I, too, wish they’d included Palin, but they’re still presenting a pretty good group of folks.

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Whhaaaattt?

SOURCES: Biden at GOP convention; Secret Service in Tampa say they are Biden advance — he’s coming Monday or Tuesday… Developing…

Do the Democrats really want Joe ‘They gonna put y’all back in chains’ Biden at the GOP convention?

Resist We Much on August 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Chris Christie: No, I will not tone it down for the convention

Fun, fun, fun and (literally) BIG fun!!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

GOPRanknFile on August 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Deval Patrick is black.

Bam. There’s your diversity right there.

Not to mention the delegates are all selected to fill certain quotas to ensure that there are just the right number of women, just the right number of young people, just the right number of gays, just the right number of old people, just the right number of blacks, Latinos, Asians, transgendereds… and so on and so forth.

It’s the inclusion illusion.

Red Cloud on August 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Michelle Obama hates fat people.

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Hey, we’re just grateful that he won’t be VP – we really dodged a bullet.

Pork-Chop on August 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Why is Joe Biden going to Tampa during the GOP convention?

WEIRD !!!

jake-the-goose on August 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Testing the chains waters?

Flora Duh on August 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Christie’s speech has been released via video

/ I apologize in advance

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Just saw where Biden is heading for the RNC in Tampa.Well he did call Virginia, North Carolina.Guess he thinks Tampa is really Charlotte!Or he figures he will be dumped by Obama and wants the GOP to give him a try.

redware on August 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I hate gluttonous slobs like Christie.

It’s a sign he has bigger issues.

I’m just mad at myself..I was foolish enough to send this guy money when he first came on the scene.

Between Christie and Rubio, I’ve at least learned to hold on to my money and watch them carefully on what they say, versus what they do and how they vote.

Thank you GOP. Thanks for nothing.
Thanks for putting our country in the gutter by serving us Democrat-lite all these years.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Why is Joe Biden going to Tampa during the GOP convention?

WEIRD !!!

jake-the-goose on August 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Doing donuts around the convention hall in his Trans Am and mooning the GOP.

Chuck Schick on August 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Thank you GOP. Thanks for nothing.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

They’ve been complicit, and have been accomplices in the spread of the malignancy of Socialism. They are just as guilty.

I, pretty much, hold them all in contempt – their smiles, their pandering and their lies.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Why is Joe Biden going to Tampa during the GOP convention?

WEIRD !!!

jake-the-goose on August 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

To carry Obama’s strong message of support to the Move On and OWS crowds and, of course, to the Black Panthers who will be assembled there.

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM

OT sorta: The Atlantic: Kill Boy Scouts Like Rabid Dogs

When will your kid be put in jail for hate speech?

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yep, dehumanizing your political opponents is a feature of the proggie left. In case you missed it: How Hatred Became a Liberal Value

slickwillie2001 on August 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Fox News wonders what Christie “brings to the table”

kenny on August 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Ironic Bill Clinton is speaking, now that politicians and rape are being used in the same sentence again. I wonder if the risk of pregnancy goes down if the male asks the female to “put some ice on that?”

MNHawk on August 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Add another bully to the pile! What could go wrong!

tommyhawk on August 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Since Biden is going to be in town, Christie should say,

“Mr Vice-President, on behalf of the Republican Party and the residents of this great state, welcome to Alaska!”

Resist We Much on August 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I am Sorry but this guy is a train wreck waiting to happen.

KBird on August 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Doing donuts around the convention hall in his Trans Am and mooning the GOP.

Chuck Schick on August 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Christie: Did someone say donuts?

Spiders from Mars on August 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I am Sorry but this guy is a train wreck waiting to happen.

KBird on August 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ditto that.

Do you think Christie will speak about conservative
views/platform?

Maybe he’ll talk about green energy jobs, maybe he’ll talk about judge appointments, maybe he’ll talk about gun control, maybe he’ll talk about health litigation, maybe he’ll talk about mike Castle, maybe he’ll talk about immigration…because we all know how conservative Christie is on THOSE subjects

Wait, I forgot….this convention is all about the Love for Mitt.

tencole on August 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’ll pass on this speech. I really don’t care for the man.

Rose on August 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I read at Drudge that a hurricane might sweep into Tampa during the RNC–are they talking about Christie or the rumored appearance of Uncle Joeke Bidin’his’time in Tampa next week?

stukinIL4now on August 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Happy Nomad on August 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Nobody hijacked anything.
Stop being such a jerk. I find it a legitimate question.
I happen to like her. I find it unfortunate she’s not speaking.
But we’re not all whining about it. And not on this thread yet.

Add another bully to the pile! What could go wrong!

tommyhawk on August 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I can honestly see how some people might think he’s a bully.
He’s telling a bunch of lazy f^&*($s they need to do their jobs & stop demanding more $$ for work that isn’t worth that much.
People who have been allowed to skate through life often get tesy when you hold them accountable & tell them what they’re doing wrong.

Badger40 on August 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM

As boring as I’ve found most political conventions to be, this one might be worth watching on TV.

RebeccaH on August 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Why is Joe Biden going to Tampa during the GOP convention?

WEIRD !!!

jake-the-goose on August 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Maybe they haven’t told him where the dem convention is….

runawayyyy on August 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM

redware on August 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Tampa is in Charlotte! Dumba$$….

/idiocracy

runawayyyy on August 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I am not a fan of Gov. Christie, but I can’t wait till he comes down on Obama like a ton of bricks. This is going to be a fun week of television. I will need to get plenty of Netflix for the following convention though.

jazzuscounty on August 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM