CBS: Obama needs to answer for the tone of the campaign

posted at 10:01 am on August 21, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

How well did Barack Obama do in his press conference yesterday?  If you’ve lost CBS …  Norah O’Donnell took Obama to task this morning for his attempt to distance himself from the personal attack run by his former White House aide Bill Burton, which blamed Mitt Romney for the death of a woman whose husband had been laid off years earlier from a Bain-owned steel plant, long after Romney had left Bain’s operations, but curiously while Obama bundler Jonathan Lavine was in charge.  Obama tried dancing away from Nancy Cordes’ question, but it didn’t satisfy Cordes’ colleague at CBS (via Instapundit):

Not only did this fail to impress, it now has CBS talking about just how much of a fantasy “Hope and Change” was in the first place.  It probably doesn’t help that David Axelrod, one of the architects of both the 2008 and 2012 campaigns, told Politico’s Glenn Thrush this, via Buzzfeed’s Zeke Miller:

Twitchy calls BS on Axelrod’s BS call, too:

Yeah, no kidding. Despite all the fawning lapdog media reports about Obama’s “above the fray” campaign style, we kinda noticed that. Here’s what Axelrod told Thrush:

The campaign is doing what it did in 2008, drawing a contrast between Obama and the opposition, he insisted. The difference now is that the pundit class is holding the president to a phony, Catch-22 standard.

Phony standard? Even as Obama embraced negative campaigning in 2008, he repeatedly talked about dispensing with politics as usual. You know, because hope and change. So the pundit class didn’t build that standard alone — Obama made that happen. Intentionally.

Just last month Obama railed against “negativity” and “cynicism” in campaign ads and Axelrod decried Romney super PAC ads “accusing Obama of running a negative campaign.” And now Axelrod is complaining about a false narrative? Obama’s lapdogs regurgitated the talking points they were fed.

Clearly Axelrod knows a thing or two about b.s. notions.

The problem for Axelrod is that the Obama campaign in 2008 was able to maintain the illusion of a positive, post-partisan campaign while engaging in bare-knuckle Chicago-style brawling.  How did they manage to do that?  The national media gave them plenty of cover for that illusion.  This time around, it looks like the national media isn’t playing along — even CBS is calling BS on 2008, too.

Note: Instapundit has a new RSS feed.  Be sure to update your feed readers accordingly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think the problem for the MSM is that they actually aired the miserable press conference and then realized all the sugar coating cannot possible cover Obama’s evasions and meaningless answers.

pat on August 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Wow, it only took them four years to wake up.

John the Libertarian on August 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Wow, it only took them four years to wake up.

John the Libertarian on August 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Better they did now than never.

Cherokee on August 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM

How is what she said a bad thing? All she’s saying to people is “don’t be so hard on Obama due to the tone of the campaign. It was like this in 2008 and everyone loved him, so why aren’t you loving him now?”

ButterflyDragon on August 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I know she’s an imbecile, but I’ve always wanted to shag Norah O. I wish it weren’t so but I can’t help it.

Blacksheep on August 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

urban elitist hardest hit

gwelf on August 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

lol, what a bloodbath this morning on that thread in Headlines…

Del Dolemonte on August 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Nora is one of barry’s biggest cheerleaders. She trashed HRC mercilessly until she got a new target in Palin.

lonestar1 on August 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Suffocate, you fools.
He hates you.

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I hate them too.

woodNfish on August 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Mr Obama gave a reasonable response to the question; perhaps he could have given a better answer but then he isn’t perfect. The fact that these ‘media’ people are criticising him for being imperfect says more about their fanciful expectations and unrealistic world-view than it says about Mr Obama.

Moreover, its not like there is a shortage of things he can be justifiably criticised for, or for which he needs to give an account … so criticising his less-than-perfect presentation seems lazy.

YiZhangZhe on August 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

YiZhangZhe on August 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Are you kidding? He could have eaten babies for lunch live on TV and the media wouldn’t have noticed.

I suspect the Obama lap-dog media is jumping off of the Obama Titanic because they see it breaking in half and the lifeboats are filling up fast. Like Obama, they’ll toss loyalty aside to survive. Liberals are the original cannibals.

Don L on August 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Blacksheep on August 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

She is truly stunning. You should see her in person. I once went to a party where she was present in a slinky blue dress (making her blue eyes even more striking), and it turned out that she was friends with my date, and she came over to us to talk with her. My date was also beautiful and, though they tried gamely to include me in the conversation, I was too tongue-tied to say anything coherent, so the two of them were on either side of me in the corner talking across me for about fifteen minutes.

Chuckles3 on August 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Only four years too late, they (MSM) wake up? Maybe.

Better late than never, but we’ve paid a high cost already, and I am not convinced. They will have to do much better and consistently so to garner any confidence.

IrishEyes on August 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

“It is true, he ran a very negative campaign in 2008 as well.”

Always. Ask Jack Ryan.

IrishEyes on August 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Felonies, murder, war on women, put blacks back in chains….vs…..

They took 716 million from medicare, they stopped the welfare to work program, they lied, they are running an angry campaign. Obama has socialist policies.

Hmmmm. Which campaign is more negative?

President Obama is Mr. Disingenuous.

KMav on August 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

One day, Norah will walk away from the brainwashers at CBS. She has apparently developed a weak immunity to the drumbeat of liberalism, and its growing stronger.

And when you’ve lost Norah O’Donnell, you’ve lost.

BobMbx on August 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

What about Seamus?

Norah, yeah that’s what I thought. Not one world about a serious issue like Seamus.

acyl72 on August 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The media is slowly realizing that the lipstick they slathered on this pig is wearing thin, and the supply is too limited to cover all the defects that need to be obscured.

Another Drew on August 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Norah, is this a ratings week?
No matter what anyone says at CBS, I don’t believe them.
I will never again believe them. I heard Cronkite talk about Vietnam and believed him. Then, I talked to people who were there, read the history, and found out he was a liar. Since then, if you work for CBS, I don’t believe you and you have given me no reason to change my opinion.

gordo on August 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM