Video: “Legitimate” rape? Update: Steelman blasts Akin

posted at 8:41 am on August 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Until yesterday, Todd Akin had a comfortable polling lead in Missouri over incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill in what had been the most vulnerable seat for Democrats this cycle.  Suddenly, one has to ask whether Akin has a, er, legitimate chance of beating McCaskill, or even a legitimate chance of avoiding a Torricelli maneuver:

In the clip, Charles Jaco, of St. Louis Fox affiliate KTVI’s “Jaco Report,” asks Akin whether he thinks abortions ought to permissible in a situation where a woman is raped. While explaining his position, Akin claimed that pregnancy only rarely results from “legitimate rape.”

“Well you know, people always want to make it as one of those things where how do you slice this particularly tough, sort of ethical question,” he replied. “It seems to me first of all, from what I understand from doctors — that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But, let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Good grief.  First, pregnancy from rape isn’t all that uncommon, as Twitchy discovered with just a little research; it’s around 5%.  At least one researcher has found that conception rates for rape actually exceeds that of single instances of consensual sex. Second, what in Akin’s mind constitutes legitimate rape?  Was he trying to distinguish between forcible rape and statutory rape?  If so, that’s a pretty fine distinction, and one that’s really nonsensical even in the argument Akin was trying to make.  And if he wanted to suggest that some women would lie about being raped in order to secure an abortion, then he’s really setting up an argument that any woman who is pregnant couldn’t really have been raped … which as noted above is simply not the case.

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan distanced themselves from Akin’s argument at light speed:

A spokeswoman for Mitt Romney wrote late Sunday that the presumptive GOP presidential nominee and his running mate, U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, did not share Rep. Todd Akin’s sentiments on rape.

“Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin’s statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape,” Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg wrote.

Even Akin himself repudiated his earlier remarks:

“As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault.  In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it’s clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year.  Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

“I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue.  But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.

“But I also believe that this election is about a wide-range of very important issues, starting with the economy and the type of country we will be leaving our children and grandchildren.  We’ve had 42 straight months of unacceptably high unemployment, trillion dollar deficits, and Democratic leaders in Washington who are focused on growing government, instead of jobs.  That is my primary focus in this campaign and while there are those who want to distract from that, knowing they cannot defend the Democrats’ failed economic record of the last four years, that will continue to be my focus in the months ahead.”

“Those who want to distract from that” got a big boost from Akin himself.

Can Republicans replace Akin, if they so choose?  Apparently they can — but the deadline is tomorrow.  Of course, deadlines didn’t matter when Robert Torricelli became a political pariah in New Jersey, but there are a couple of differences.  First, it involved actual corruption, not a case of foot-in-mouth disease, and second, Torricelli was a Democrat.  If Republicans want Akin off the ticket, they’d have to act quickly, which means it won’t happen at all.

That means that Missouri will probably see a lot of debate over “legitimate,” and Republicans had better hope that Akin can legitimately change the subject soon.

Update: Chuck Todd hints that there may be more time than we think if Akin withdraws:

Well, the whole thing’s getting pretty complicated now, isn’t it?

Update II: Sarah Steelman, one of two challengers against Akin in the primary and Sarah Palin’s endorsed choice, blasted Akin this morning on Twitter:

On the other hand, poll analyst Sean Trende reminds us that politicians who say stupid things often don’t pay as much of a price as we’d think:

I’m not sure that this is a comforting thought.

Update III: Even less comforting — Clayton Williams actually lost that election in 1990 to Ann Richards.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9

You actually “Pray to the Lord”??

ToddPA on August 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Bwahaha!
So libfreeanddie has finally admitted he’s a Jesus Freak.
Good catch there Todd.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Psychological issues,to a certain degree, ARE within peoples’ control.

Indeed. But one thing a therapist does is not close off emotional coping strategies unless they are self-destructive. And even then, a therapist gradually works through and helps patients walk through leaving self destructive coping mechanisms behind in favor of more productive ones. But those are conversations for a woman and her therapist and/or the other individuals in a group therapy setting. Not for the law to place boundaries around. The law should have *absolutely no say* in limiting the way a rape victims copes with her pregnancy in anyway than it already limits our behavior (i.e. no vigilante killings etc). To say that a first trimester abortion shouldn’t be part of a sexual victims emotional coping arsenal is, truly, one of the most callous unfeeling things a person can believe in this day and age. Everyone who thinks so ought to be ashamed.

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Democrats are a lot better at getting rid of dead weight than Democrats. Republicans tend to stick in there until being handily defeated.

The SoCon wing once again screws us. These clowns just can’t help themselves. I’m just glad Santorum wasn’t nominated and we handed a second term to Obama because we were talking about birth control.

BradTank on August 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You’re the clown. Just remember you wouldn’t win a single election on your policy terms without those SoCons you speak so poorly of. Or am I missing something and Libertarians are winning every election come November.

njrob on August 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

The reason why liberals seize on these rape sceniors is they can’t defend abortion in the general scenario. Everybody knows this. They support abortion and they dont’ care if it’s life or not, they still support it. They will pretend they think the fetus has no life but they know it does or at least they have doubts.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

ToddPA on August 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I don’t know about better-but it’s certainly weirder. LoL
My dad died in 2001. Pretty much forgiven him. As I said-he didn’t rape me. It could have been worse. I have said to Spawn that when he has kids-NOT to name them after my dad. My forgiveness has a limit

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I DO have a clue what it’s like to be raped & I am telling you women who kill their babies bcs they can’t handle the emotional stress are still murdering an innocent life.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

BTW, I am under the impression that people who accidentally kill an innocent person still often get punished by the law for doing so.
Indicating that we as a society still do not consider murder, even accidental, acceptable.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It’s amusing that you blame Palin, but have been silent on Bachmann and Huck backing Akin..:)

idesign on August 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM

How is Akin Huckabee’s fault? Huckabee would have been prepared for this type of question.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

For the same reason O’Donnell and Angle were Palin’s fault.

Come now, you remember the posts….SARAH PALIN COST US
THE SENATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToddPA on August 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

But you’re right, they should make their position clear. That way, people thinking they’re throwing their support begin a party that actually supports the rights of the unborn, could move on to an organization that really does.

hawkdriver on August 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

And now Mitt will soon be “head of the party….so with his history of flip-flopping on this issue, you might as “move on” now.

tencole on August 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

ToddPA on August 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I don’t know about better-but it’s certainly weirder. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

good for you!

ToddPA on August 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

So if a person doesn’t have personal experience with something means they cannot even weigh in on an issue?

It means they need to step extremely carefully, particularly when we’re talking about experiences that are physically and emotionally traumatic. It is annoying when a non-expert pontificates on history, but its not an attempt to tell a traumatized individual how they should be feeling or responding. You don’t understand the difference.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Like I said, as a man I don’t have anything to say about your sexual assault other than I’m sorry you went through and I hope you are on that continued path towards recovery. I would be content if the legality of abortion after a sexual assault were determined by an anonymous poll of victims of sexual assault. Would you?

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

As a woman who has born a child, I do not find this callous at all.
I’m not advocating a legal denial of abortion in these cases. But pregnancy from rape & incest is not common & your outrage tends to flee beyond this boundary by maintaining abortion is a right for ALL women no matter what.
And anyone who thinks that ought to be ashamed.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Read my above comment.
IT doesn’t mean a woman in this situation shouldn’t receive counseling in favor of letting the child live.
I find that most appropriate.
Just like I find it appropriate for a woman getting an abortion to have an ultrasound and actually LOOK at & HEAR the baby’s heartbeat they’re wanting to kill.
I find those types of things most appropriate when a woman is going to get an abortion, for any reason.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Lot of moderate liberal Republicans lost in the midterms. The woman in Califonira (fiona?), the woman ex wrestler babe in Conn., for example. so why all the emphasis on O’Donnel, Angle?

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I’m absolutely fine with the “no rape exemption” wing of the Party leaving the GOP. There’s the door, and we’ll actually win MORE elections without these people.

I’m not demanding Republicans drop the pro-life plank or even that they change their moral view on the matter, but what I am demanding is that people who want to reduce the number of abortion form a viable political coalition that can actually address the 95% of abortions that are nothing more than casual birth control.

If you want to pontificate on the morality of forcing a woman that’s been raped to give birth to the rapists’ child, fine, but keep it out of the political sphere. There’s all sorts of ministries you can join if that’s your bailiwick.

BradTank on August 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I most certainly DO understand the difference.
You do not need to walk in the shoes of another person’s misery to be able to take a stand on an issue.
If that was true, then I DEMAND everyone considering regulations regarding animals agriculture live on my ranch for a full year so that they can make an opinion on the issue.
I will say it is more likely one can develop a better informed opinion on an issue by experiencing it.
But it is not necessary if you use FACTS & consider testimonies.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Return on investment

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

badger,

I think it’s a bit much to expect a pregnant woman who has been raped to give birth to the rapist’s kid.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I don’t know why they keep arguing that.

The Delaware example is the most egregious because Castle most damaging votes to people where his votes on fiscal issues.

The guy was virtually untouched by his state party or anyone else in the state for years and then he actually had to start defending his votes.

That is why he lost, not because he was Pro-Choice.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

So when you force a woman to have a child from rape, and then the child’s father wants to meet with said child, say at the prison or after he gets out, who gets the fun job of explaining to the child how they were conceived and why their dad is in prison?

Zekecorlain on August 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

You act like there are no children that are the product of a rape. I grew up knowing a wonderful girl who’s life began as a rape and she and her mother were grateful that her mother did the right thing and let her live. Their lives were both stronger and better for it. Great family.

Who cares about the thug that committed a violent crime? If I had my way, violent rape offenders would be convicted and sentenced to capital punishment.

njrob on August 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

BradTank on August 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You seem to be under the misconception, or ignorance, that Christianity is something that can be put in a box, and only practiced in “appropriate” situations, to be defined by folks like yourself. That’s not the way it works.

A Christian’s faith and indwelling of the Holy Spirit is what guides him/her every day and enables him/her to practice a spirit of discernment in making decisions concerning not only their own life, but, in their attempts to be positive influence in the lives of those they care about.

Christians do comprise 78% of this nation. And, that’s a fact that you’re just going to have to learn to live with.

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM

it’s hard to believe Castle winning the general if he got beat by 10 points in the primary against a unpolished candidate. he was going to lose the general worse than o’donnel did, in my view, if somehow he won that time. You can’t have party support that soft and win general elections, but the castle lovers won’t accept that.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Sounds like Huckabee may be throwing a safety line out to Akin.
Just announced that The Huck will have the exclusive first interview on his radio show.

verbaluce on August 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The worst possible time in the worst possible place. Man we have to be perfect.

tomas on August 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

BradTank on August 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Please tell me about all of these “socially liberal, fiscally conservative” young voters who will come running into the arms of the GOP if they did that.

These people are the same voters that think they are informed because the listen to “Planet Money” and read the Economist.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

missouri is social conservative, atkins still will win.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I’m not advocating a legal denial of abortion in these cases.

Then we really don’t have much else to discuss. Just two questions. Do you believe the government has the authority to *force* a rape victim seeking an abortion to receive counseling to keep the rapists child? Do you believe the government has the right to *force* a woman seeking an abortion to have an ultra-sound?

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

huckabee support never helped his endorsees in South Carolina.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Why are you afraid of an ultra-sound?

That’s only a human life inside of there./

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

This is a pretty serious gaffe in a swing state where we should have an easy pick up. How is this guy going to talk about the contraceptive mandate in Obamacare, or healthcare in general, when the opposition can run video of him talking about legitimate rape, pregnancy rates from rape, and how a woman’s body has some sort of biological rejection of rape sperm.

Allen lost his Senate seat after the Makaka (or whatever it was) reference and he was up in the polls by as much as 20 points, he was even considered a Presidential contender. These things do matter.

The GOP should find a way to get Steelman in, Missouri voters don’t want McCaskill, we just need someone to run a safe and competent campaign.

Daemonocracy on August 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

SoCon idiocy might be what keeps ObamaCare in place if we lose this Senate seat. It’s not enough the moron wing nominated Christine O’Donnell, Ken Buck, Sharon Angle, etc. I honestly am starting to think the Santorum wing of the Party is the biggest enabler of socialism.

BradTank on August 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Go libertarian. It’s where your values align. Then you can have your 1-2% of the population and feel good about yourself. You’re the minority in the party. The sooner you realize it the better.

njrob on August 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

idesign on August 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM

The Huck endorsement wasn’t a factor. No one here cares about him. People here care about Palin.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Liberterians really aren’t on the abortion issue, as they have no problem giving up one person’s life for another’s convenience. that’s what abortion is about.

most liberterians wept when our miltiary took out saddam, a brutal despot.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

missouri is social conservative, atkins still will win.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Not really. Missouri wants leaders who make sense when they talk. We’re conservative in that we stick to old ways, but we’re not very ideological about it. We’re a state that would still elect Harry Truman and a younger Ike Skelton; blue dog democrats are still alive and well here. We’ll elect a candidate who opposes rape in all circumstances. We won’t elect someone who sounds like an idiot talking about it.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

why do people care about palin or huckebee at this point. neither is in politics anymore.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

As Huck shills for Akin as we speak..:)

idesign on August 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Daemonocracy on August 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

All Akin had to do was to keep his damned mouth shut. He refused to do so. Anyone voting on this issue already knew whom they were supporting.

Get the hook, Akin is toast, and I don’t care if Huckabee tries a salvage operation.

matthew8787 on August 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

ok, so go vote for the liberal woman over this guy with a stupid gaffee// i’d vote for atkins if i was there.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

The right? I wouldn’t call it a right, no, but it would certainly be legal and within their power, especially with the new standards set by Obamacare where the Government can punish religious institutions for not providing birth control or pass punitive taxes for economic non-activity.

Then again, we are supposed to have the inalienable right to life as humans, but the government allows and even funds the termination of this life in its earliest of forms.

Daemonocracy on August 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

In other words, they will vote to condemn Obamacare statewide, but they’ll vote for the gal that will keep Obamacare in law.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

look,

it’s not like this guy supports rape. everybody needs to calm down.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

look,

it’s highly unlkely the Atkins Let’s Force Raped Women To Give Birth bill will ever make it to the floor for a vote if he makes it to the senate. Let’s cool down a bit. We got to take some risks.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Sean Trende is dumb. Backtracking by tweeting “~” means “almost” but there was nothing “~” about Ann Richards winning. Clayton Williams got ground up like hamburger. Even I voted Richards.

Marcus on August 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I have never heard about this idiot Sean Trende until I start reading Hot Air… He is revealed by some here as some genius political analyst but all what he comes up with is utter idiocy and he says thing that are not supported by any facts or sound reasoning… His analysis of the polls are laughable as well…

mnjg on August 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM

This is the Akin line that isn’t getting enough attention:

“It seems to me first of all, from what I understand from doctors…”

As crazy as it sounds, there are going to be pro-lifers that actually dbl down on this. I can’t tell if there was a follow up from Jaco – but which doctors does he understand ‘this’ from?
I have NO doubt that he truly believes what he said said there.
And it doesn’t come from nowhere.
I’d say 24 hours before the ‘experts’ that espouse these theories get a little 15 mins of fame.

verbaluce on August 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM

ToddPA on August 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Let’s be clear here: It is not Palin’s fault whatever Akin does. Palin did have an effect on the Missouri primary. The effect was to significantly boost her endorsee. Her endorsee still came in 3rd because the endorsee was a bad candidate coming from far, far behind. Also, her endorsee and my endorsee decided to throw mud exclusively at each other, allowing Akin to squeak by. It was not the wisest decision.

Bachmann and Huckabee had no effect on the race. No one cares what they think. Akin won big in STL because he’s been a congresscritter from the area for 12 years, and with divided opposition, that was enough to win.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Why are you limiting how the rape victim can cope? If she wants to go on a 4 state killing spree, who are you to stop her?

cptacek on August 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

If the guy opposing the gal sounds like a moron, yes, they will.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

For the record,

I oppose all rape, legitmate rape and illegitimate rape.

I am also not a witch.

I’m Atkins and i support this message.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

As Huck shills for Akin as we speak..:)

idesign on August 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Who listens to that show? Limbaugh is a Missourian. His endorsement would carry more weight.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM

where does Santorum stand on Atkins?

where does atkins stand on sodomy?

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Great – the first question at Obama’s press conference is about Akin’s comments.

Thanks a lot, Todd Akin. Thanks a lot, Mike Huckabee.

steebo77 on August 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

If the guy opposing the gal sounds like a moron, yes, they will.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

So they care more about how their politicians sound then what they do. This is why we are in this mess.

I get it, he needs to drop out so that the national campaign remains about Obamacare and the Economy, but if the voters are not willing to vote for their own personal interests that they say they want, then we truly are doomed.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

It’s time for the people who believe in stories to become acclimated with reality for once. The world population is growing out of control. The more people that exist the lower our quality of life is. Abortions shouldn’t be rare, they should be available as required. I don’t need people who can’t keep their pants up to create further scarcity issues. All I care about is my own household, maybe you all should mind your own business too.

LevStrauss on August 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

You’re a monster. Thanks for sharing.

njrob on August 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM

it’s not like we are getting 4 more years of obama b/c of todd atkins’s comment.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM

no one cares

GW_SS-Delta on August 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

the issue of abortion and life is now one of scarcity and economics, per the liberterian heroes.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks a lot, Mike Huckabee.

steebo77 on August 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

If Huckabee was not shut down by the party he could be the guy helping GOP candidates talk about Abortion without putting their foot in their mouth.

Instead, we are blaming him for something he would have never done himself, either as SBC prez of Gov. of Arkansas.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Shorter and to the point: I support snuffing out human life as an acceptable means to an end.

NotCoach on August 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

The SoCons continue screwing the rest of the party with their abortion obsession. They simply cannot shut the F up and do work on their pet issue behind the scenes and under cover like the left does its pet issues.

They simply will never learn.

rickyricardo on August 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Go libertarian. You and Bradtank can have fun together. You’re the minority in the party. Us SoCons who are FisCons are the dominant block. Without us you’d be sitting on the corner with your 2% support like the libertarians already have.

njrob on August 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

huckabee is more into springing killers from death row so they can kill again.

he would NEVer make a gaffe about abortion though.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

WHAT where republican voters in Mo thinking?

He looks like the stereotypical white, out of touch, professional politician.

McCaskill is going to tear him to pieces, and make him look like a bafoon.

Best idea for gop? When running against a Democrat gal run a competent female to diffuse the war on women. Hey, that’s the way the game has to be played now.

PappyD61 on August 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM

prediction

akins is going to win pretty eaisly, by 5 points min.

people are pissed at obama.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM

JohnGalt23 on August 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

The point is that people disagreed with his points. Mostly becasue like what you do with them, they’re exaggerated and used to paint all the military in the worst light to accomplish your agenda. You only know what is written for you by people you seek to form your opinions from.

But moreover, if what this man has said dicatates that he should go, then what Paul supported (or possibly wrote himself) in his newsletter was more than enough to prejudice any serious consideration for him even holding the office he now holds.

The levels of wild hypocrisy you achieve and the mental gymnastics one would need to arrive at your conclusions never fails to astound me.

hawkdriver on August 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

So they care more about how their politicians sound then what they do.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Why would we want to be a national embarrassment? We can handle someone who isn’t slick, in fact slickness is a big no-no around here. But you can’t be a buffoon and expect to get elected. You have to pass a bar of minimum competence. After that, sure, we’ll take the responsible saver over the big spender, but you have to be somewhat reasonable. All three candidates presented themselves as sober custodians of the nation’s fisc. No one campaigned on abortion or any other socon issue. That is what people here want. Than Akin goes off half-cocked and here we are.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Huckabee’s not “shut down by the party.” He has his own show on FNC, he has his own radio show, he’s speaking at the convention in Tampa.

Huckabee knew what a loose-canon, mouth-running kook Todd Akin was (he’s had a long history of saying stupid things like this), and he still endorsed him in the primary and helped put him over the top.

Thanks a lot, Mike Huckabee.

steebo77 on August 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

after many debates with prolifers, I am surprised that some pol does a comment like this. prolifers, relating to abortion for rapes, come in 3 groups:
-light prolifers: allows abortion for rape.(usually keeps silent on this opionion so that rabid prolifers dont pile on them).
-politica prolifers: deny abortion for rapes not as a true belief, but a a rhetorical position.(can’t give those abortionist an inch). great way to generate political schizophrenia!/
-rabid prolifer: prolifer all the way, denying abortion even for rape, claiming “sanctity” of “life”.

Akin has now a new argument, that is, those rapes that generate pregnancies were not legitimate rapes. Its so incredibly moronic and insulting…

as someone that does not support prolifers, I at least give kudos for the quick distancing of most prolifers from these comments and Akin.

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Just what are you trying to say, Ed?

ignatzk on August 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I feel bad for mocking Ron Johnson. I had the wrong Ron Johnson. Senator Johnson, my apologies.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Do we have the right to *force* a three-day waiting period on the purchase of a firearm, a constitutionally-supported right?

itsspideyman on August 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

nathor is your typical liberal, he uses the rape scenior to defend all abortions, when majority of abortions have nothing to do with rape. Yet he sneers at pro-lifers as though he has high ground on morality. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thanks a lot, Mike Huckabee.

steebo77 on August 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Facepalm.

The guy is constantly ridiculed for fiscal sins, but he is one of the few politicans we have who can talk about socon issues in ways to help our candidates. Santorum can do that as well, and people like you just tell them to shut up when they could be helping.

Thanks a lot, Steebo77.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

For the record,

I oppose all rape, legitmate rape and illegitimate rape.

I am also not a witch.

I’m Atkins and i support this message.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I do not believe he is not a witch! we need… the test!

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I see. You preclude vigilante killings, but are OK with killing the innocent?

RationalIcthus on August 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We were all waiting patiently and with great anticipation for your response. We are sure you think very highly of the “sanctity” of your own voice. Now give us some Libor love. We need a large dose of hot gas at Hot Gas.

NotCoach on August 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Most if not every rape victim examined in an ER is given hormone or an IUD to prevent a negative pregnancy test from turning positive. You know this idiot would oppose that as well. Claire McCaskill is a smart cookie. And this will be just her second term?

Marcus on August 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

nathor,

what is your argument for abortion when rape isn’t in the scenirio?

It seems like liberals like you could move to the center on abortion and oppose the ones that have nothing to do with rape or death of the mother.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Its official Fox is doing a Todd Akin blackout. How much time did they spend on Hilary Rosen again? Shameful.

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

NO, I would not be OK with that. Since when do we decide whether it’s OK to kill babies by a vote? Aren’t some things just wrong because they’re wrong?

RationalIcthus on August 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

pretty sure Fox has talked Todd Akins. It’s just not going to be all day like CNN and MSNBC. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Life is a play thing for him to be snuffed out or ruled over as he sees fit. He has children. Someday he will get angry with one of them and blurt out how he and his wife could have aborted him/her instead of allowing him/her the grandest privilege in the universe of residing within the sanctified light of nathor.

NotCoach on August 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Poll question:

Who thinks Akins comment will swing the election to Obama?

Yes or NO

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Although at his LIVE press conference, he looks like he just won the lottery.
Maybe he had a good golf score

Marcus on August 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

First press conference he has had in awhile, so Atkins helped regain his confidence at least? :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM

badger,

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Dr. Tesla, I think it’s a bit much to expect a baby to give up its life so that a mother can cope with the trauma of rape.

See how I did that? We can keep throwing around meaningless emotional drivel, or you could explain how killing a child is justified so that a woman can “feel better.”

RationalIcthus on August 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM

If this was the The West Wing, our presidential nominee would have said what Atkins had said and it all would be over. Put Romney used to donate to Planned Parenthood so it’s all good. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

There are some things that are said that people can forget about in a short span of time, like “going to put y’all back in chains”; but, “legitimate rape” this will not go away. Good bye, Missouri.

DDay on August 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Who thinks Akins comment will swing the election to Obama?

Yes or NO

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Who cares? Akins’ comment might leave the Senate in Democrat control, and we cannot have that.

alwaysfiredup on August 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

rape? naaa, the best argument to put prolifers in the defensive is the in vitro argument. meaning, what to do with all those dozens fertilized eggs(in prolifer terminology, babies), that are a byproduct of barren couples trying to have babies?

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Put them up for adoption. Wow, that was hard. My brain hurts.

NotCoach on August 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’d rather Obama lose and Democrats keep control of senate.

@irrationalist,

I think if a woman didn’t have a say in having sex, she’s not responsiblie for the child’s creation. It’s cruel to demand that she give birth to the child, she should get a choice in that scenioro. Of course it’s ending the child’s life, it’s not a good situation.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Poll question:

Who thinks Akins comment will swing the election to Obama?

Yes or NO

No, but if the GOP can’t capture the Senate, ObamaCare will probably be with us forever.

It will probably come down to one or two Senators. If Akin stays on and loses (almost certain at this point) we basically have to draw a Royal Flush in all the other races to get control.

But regarding the Presidential race, he will cost Romney/Ryan a few newscycles and pull people’s attention away to issues that favor Democrats.

BradTank on August 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

This guy is an idiot and so are the posters who opine about
legitimate vs. not legitimate rape.

Replace this guy STAT!

Amjean on August 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I see debating actual issues is uncomfortable to you.
I find posters who are like this are also idiots.
Good luck in replacing this guy. Cuz if you don’t, I guess you’re voting for them Democrat?

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I stand by my posting. This guy shot himself in the foot; noone
else did. Give him the boot. If the republican party can’t handle this, then they are even worse than I thought. The country doesn’t have time to elect little wienies who are not helping
the cause (the “cause” being getting rid of Obama and his socialist/marxist/communist thug regime).

As far as “rape” being legitimate or not, you think this is an
actual issue to debate? Are you kidding me? Apparently not.

Amjean on August 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

It’s really not that hard for a real pro-lifer to answer. In vitro clinics should be required to fertilize one egg at a time. If that limit were in place, the industry would evolve to support it. The fact that it’s not allows the industry to keep killing more babies than it produces.

See, logical consistency isn’t that hard now, is it?

RationalIcthus on August 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

nathor,

I think abortion is the easiet thing to debate. I’m going to win the debate from a moral and scientific standpoint. When I got a pro-abortion person in yourself using the rape exception to the rule to defend all abortions, I’m winning the debate. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

That is why he lost, not because he was Pro-Choice.

Bluray on August 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Many years Mike Castle’s ACU rating was below 50% and at least one year he was in the 20s. Shed no tears for this man.

bw222 on August 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

ok, so from the every brilliant analysis of Trende we get 2 Rs who say something stupid and they lose

And one lying pos Dem who wins.

wow…i knew that…so what’s the conclusion? it depends on whether you want the Senate to be R or D. Simple

r keller on August 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

NotCoach on August 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

it was very frustating the libor case, I guess I am already distracted with some social issue while no banker\trader was put in jail. :(

nathor on August 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

ACU ratings tend to be pretty kind to, Paul Ryan has had some horrible big ficscal votes and yet his rating is still up there.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Only a fool would try to eliminate all abortions including the ones involving rape, ensuring we eliminated 0% of them.

I’d rather eliminate 95% of abortions and give rape victims a choice.

There are plently of dumb pro lifers…but dumb advocates does not make or break the right or wrong of the general issue. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

The SoCons need to study the progressives to figure out how to advance their agenda over a long period of time.

They need to shut up, organize under the radar, create networks of non profits under the guise of advancing womens health and gwt to work doing the hard job of influencing legislation and electing judges out of the public eye.

SoCons are impatient politcal neophytes.

rickyricardo on August 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

SoCons aren’t that impatient, especially since they consider abortion muurder of babies.

Abortion been legal for awhile now, seeems like we probably been too patient.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM