Todd Akin to appear on Piers Morgan’s show tonight, or maybe not; Update: Not

posted at 8:37 pm on August 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET on CNN — if it happens. As I write this, Morgan’s show says he’s booked:

Dana Loesch says he’s not:

Can’t wait for the backstory on the mixed signals. Presumably he was booked at some point and then, after he flailed for 10 minutes on Hannity’s show, his advisors figured out that sending him onto a set with someone who’s openly hostile wouldn’t be smart. Or maybe he made a decision after he was booked to drop out and will be announcing that soon instead? In that case, er, why’s he buying up online ads vowing that he won’t quit? Strange things afoot tonight, no matter what happens on CNN at 9. Here’s your thread for reaction.

While we wait, via Mediaite, here’s Reince Priebus shoving Akin towards the exit with both hands, to the point where he declares flatly that he’d rather not see him show up at the convention. The latest name being kicked around as a possible replacement: Jo Ann Emerson, who’s been elected comfortably to the House by southeastern Missouri for the past 16 years.

Update: Am hearing on Twitter that Morgan’s show opened with a shot of an empty chair and that he called Akin a “gutless little twerp” for canceling. Like I say, can’t wait for the backstory.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I have exposed KingGold liberalism tonight. He’s a f— idiot. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Sometimes we’re actually right when we go with our gut and stand on principle in supporting underdog candidates.

Rational Thought on August 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Nothing wrong with that..:)

idesign on August 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

But you have this efffeminate moderate guy KingGold making that claim.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Quit spamming the thread, short-bus. Why don’t you gather your thoughts in a single post, and then start writing?

And you misspelled “effeminate.”

KingGold on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I am not defending this guy .What he said was dumb and stupid.But for the GOP senatorial committee to say they would not give this guy any money is just dishonest.They gave Sen.Collins ,Snowe and Arlen Specter all kinds of money after all they did to help the Dems and hurt the Rep.

logman1 on August 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Which is why the GOP Senatorial Committee isn’t worth supporting financially. Far better to donate to the candidate directly and/or to SarahPAC while spending copious amounts of money at your nearest Chick-fil-A (Mine’s still about 65 miles away…sigh).

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Mnjg, well what is your examples of this?

O’Donnel is the best one I can think of right off the bat?

And Ann Coulter when s he’s maded her little gafffes.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

If this dimwit is still in the news on Wednesday everyone in GOP leadership positions need to be sacked.

Bruno Strozek on August 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

KingGold, you are so liberal? WHy not vote for Obama? You make things up. If you want to debate a conservative, let’s go, brother. You won’t make up whtat I think though. You just lied about what Rush would have said to score points and it’s not believable.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Yep…

idesign on August 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

However in this case I doubt that he will do it because everyone on the right is also attacking ths fool Akin…

mnjg on August 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM

On his show tomorrow? I have no doubt he’ll join in, if Akin hasn’t already stepped aside.

But at noon today, very few influential voices had weighed in on the issue. It’s very likely Rush would have sympathized with a fellow conservative Missourian under assault by the media. It’s not that much of an assumption to make.

KingGold on August 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The thing is, this KingsGold sits in t he dark and watches Jon Stewart every night and he watches Bill Maher when he comes on.

Then he whines about Rush and both those guys are trying to copy Rush in one way or another.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Well I think every conservative should be squeamish about this railroading of people every time they say something controversial.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I agree..Akin needs to go..:)

Dire Straits on August 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Can we just have a proper flogging of Obama and every dem we see w/out our own guys causing headaches? Not my year to quit drinking. 2013 could be even worse. Call me eeeyore.

arnold ziffel on August 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

You guys don’t even realize that your entire life revolves around this guy in Missouri stepping down. You hate this guy…he could be giving thousands of dollars to cancer research, helping kids with cancer, and all kinds of things of good things. But you demonized the guy for one statement that was not a good one. My parents didn’t raise a lynch mobbist in me, so I question it sometimes when is ee in others. You guys have the blood lust. You guys are jacked up on this.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I must admit, the lefts ability to take a single person/issue and slam it into the ground is pretty stunning. go to the hill and it’s supersaturated with leftists claiming this jackwad is all of us on the right.

We live in scary times. Every little thing is thier krystalnaught.

wolly4321 on August 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Oh wow. This looks like an, uh, interesting thread.

after he flailed for 10 minutes on Hannity’s show,

How does a GOP candidate flail on Hannity of all places? Good grief. If he can’t handle Hannity then he needs to go. Not ready for prime time.

Why aren’t they looking at Steelman to replace Akin?

conservative pilgrim on August 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

You guys don’t even realize that your entire life revolves around this

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Every third post in this and other threads is you, and it is us that is obsessed?

pedestrian on August 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I didn’t realize Hannity was that cupcaky. He is tough on Democrats, a pretty good debater despite a lot of people who claim he’s stupid for whatever reason.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

logman1 on August 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I think they were only half serious, and were using the money threat as a way of pressuring him.

If he stays in the race, and it’s relatively close, they will support him.

But, I hope he withdraws by 5 pm tomorrow and is replaced with a conservative who can win.

kakypat on August 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Well, I see T has also taken over this thread.

a capella on August 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Akin a no-show for cable TV interview
08/20/12 09:37 PM ET
********************

canopfor on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

pedestrian on August 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM

He’s been Spamming/Trolling since lunch. Perhaps, it’s time to go to the Moderators.

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

pedistarian,

I’m interested in the story, but I’m not with rope and torch and all that for this Akin guy. You guy act like committed rape or something. I think it would be good if you had little persepective on this. He said something that was not helpful and he probably does need to step do wn but you guys want to blow up to bigger than that.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

pedestrian on August 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I’m going to propose to the bosses that each poster can only have five posts per thread—-with most that isn’t a problem. :)

arnold ziffel on August 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My point is maybe this guy ain’t that bad. The guy is a little older and probably has some “old fashioned” ideas, but i think his views were coming from a good place, he obviously about babies right?

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You appear to have the inability see reality when it hits you in the face.

I’m sure Akin is a very nice man, and I’m sorry it’s come to this, but he needs to put the country’s well being above his ambitions. We are teetering on brink as it is.

kakypat on August 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Go to the moderaters, stop with whining about me though. Nobody is stopping you from posting as much as I do. I’m rarrely post here so I’m getting money’s worth tonight. You’ll get over it some day. There are kids with cancer who don’t whine like you do over some dude on the internet. Get a grip and some real problems.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

How long before Team Obama digs up some old Romney girlfriend who swears he used the words “legitimate rape” in a conversation when he was in high school?

JellyToast on August 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

arnold ziffel on August 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Good point..I’m a eeyore in a lot of ways also..:)

Dire Straits on August 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Bullshiite.

What Akin said wasn’t “controversial”. Paul Ryan saying “we have to made serious structural changes in Medicare before it goes bankrupt” is controversial. Ron Paul proposing to cut $1 trillion in Year One of a budget is controversial. Bobby Kennedy calling to get out of Vietnam was controversial.

What Akin said was stupid. Over-the-top, incredibly ignorant, (with hat tip to someone from last night’s Headlines thread) Joe-Biden-on-bath-salts stupid. A level of stupidity that we should be thankful we get a chance to rectify… but only if Todd Akin recognizes that God, in fact, doesn’t want him to be a US Senator, and steps down.

JohnGalt23 on August 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

*fart*..

Dire Straits on August 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Are the moderators asleep? There is no continuity to these threads, since at least two have been hijacked.

DrStock on August 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

JellyToast on August 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Would that top being an animal abusing, murdering felon? ;o)

kakypat on August 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Kakpat,

Where is your proof he can’t win despite his comments? Just b/c political pundits didn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s a big deal to the voters? I haven’t seen any polls yet that show him way behind this democrat. I understand the deadline for him to drop out cleanly is 2morrow but still, pundits don’t always have it right.

Again, a new candidate doesn’t mean we win, historically they lose, I think. I’m notn against a new candidate.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Well,

Paul Ryan has some controversial votes nobody likes to talk about on here. Voted for TARP, voted for auto bailout, presciription drug entlitment, some kind of tax on CEO bonuses, not really free market kind of votes.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

If I hijacked the thread, I done it while staying on topic, It’s all been about the subject of the blog post, Akin, right? You guys don’t make sense.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Reminds me of AnninCA..:)

Dire Straits on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Crackpot Senate candidate Liarwatha Elizabeth Warren, posts on her Facebook page, a claim that the Republicans (and Scott Brown) have a “rape agenda”, and can’t run away from Akin.

vilebody on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

well Dr. Charles K said it was stupid. Obviously it was stupid. That’s not my point. I thought maybe the dude could ljust say say he said something stupid and laugh it off and move on. I don’t think it has to be a big issue, but we’ve allowed it to becoome one. What happened to damage control? I think our own media is worst than the Democrats media at times. To me it seemed a little reactionary but the dsamage has been done and he will have to go.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

This is true but, with Akin, our backs are against the wall when they shouldn’t have been. You know for a fact that Akin would be pounded relentlessly by the opposition and the media. In fact, from now until election day that’s probably all we would hear about that race. Ms. Claire is probably throwing a party ’bout now, and you’ve seen where she wants him to stay in the race.

I seem to remember from the primaries that there were more than just Akin who out polled Ms. Claire. I say a new candidate, preferably a woman, would diffuse the situation. We might still win.

kakypat on August 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

What this is is lot of our pundits get bat crazy about social issues, they think it’s a loser for us so if this dude says stomething stupid in that arena, and they want to string him up. I understand but it still lmakes me quesy.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Yeah, and lets see how long it takes before someone in the msm asks whether that rape vs pregnancy thing is a Mormon teaching.

JellyToast on August 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Nobody seems to care that people in Missouri aren’t going to have a say in who his replacement is. You are going to like who is selected to replace him. What was the point of the primary?

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

NRO is saying Joann emerson is being floated

Mod R…like Blunt

but, who would then be emerson’s replacement?

betcha people are very very busy about now

i’ve concluded that akin will drop out. they are just working out the details, so that everything goes down tomorrow

ads go up soon

r keller on August 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

This has nothing to do with social issues. Akin said something very stupid, and this is the fallout. It’s the way things work. I don’t like the double standard, but it is what it is.

Something must be done to reverse the damage, or we stand a good chance of not only losing what could have been a senate majority, but the presidency, as well.

kakypat on August 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM

r keller on August 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Concur…

kakypat on August 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

What this guy said was bat crazy and plays into the whole “war on women” BS that the media loves to trot out. This is the stereotype they want to smear all of us with.

And it’s not like it’s just some odd offhand comment. It’s one of the dumbest things I ever heard a politician say.

WisCon on August 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Oh jeez that Tesla troll is still around? How dull.

Gilda on August 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

ATTENTION: HOTAIR MESSAGE BOARD MODERATORS

Disruptive troll commenter Dr. Tesla is once again hijacking discussion threads. This person has been put on moderation in the past and offers nothing to this site. He posts non-stop to generate reactions and to create disruptions. This guy needs to go.

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Here we go!!

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

First pro-life group calls on Todd Akin to withdraw from his Senate race. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/anti-abortion-group-calls-akin-withdraw-senate-race
=================================

Anti-Abortion Group Calls on Todd Akin to Withdraw from Senate Race
on Mon, 08/20/2012 – 9:49pm
****************************

Earlier this evening, the Christian Defense Coalition became the first anti-abortion group to call on Todd Akin to withdraw from the Senate race in Missouri. In a statement distributed by the right-wing Christian Newswire, the head of the Christian Defense Coalition, Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, described Akin’s comments on “legitimate rape” as “offensive, repugnant and troubling.”
Mahoney said that while he respects “the record of Congressman Akin, especially in the pro-life community,” his comments were “so offensive and indefensible” that he must “assume the full consequences and responsibility for making them.” He can do so, Mahoney said, by “removing himself from the Missouri Senate race.” Mahoney also expressed his concern that if Akin doesn’t withdraw, “these comments will follow the Congressman throughout the entire campaign.”

Mahoney is not what you would call a liberal. He was a longtime associate of Randall Terry, the extremist anti-abortion activist and former leader of Operation Rescue. In February, Mahoney was arrested in front of the White House while protesting President Obama’s health care bill. In March he participated in an effort to “encircle” the Supreme Court and pray for Obamacare to be struck down. And next month in Charlotte, he plans to lead protests against Obama and offer “live ultrasounds” throughout the city.

canopfor on August 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Akin is a great example of one of the biggest problems the Rethugican party has. (don’t worry I call the other “party” the Demonrats, I’m an equal opportunity hater of the establishment parties.)

Too many members of the GOP reflexively support banning abortion and its a litmus test for candidates far too often. I’m sure that Akin was still partly in primary mode and thinking that he needed to throw some red meat to social conservatives who tend to go completely gaga when they hear a candidate say anything even close to what he did. And while I’m no doctor there is reason to suggest that his statement isn’t entirely incorrect. I know that many other mammals cannot conceive if they are stressed and many smaller mammals will spontaneously abort if they suffer too much stress. The statement by Akin merely suggests that some doctors believe the same about human women. So a woman being attacked and rapes may not be able to conceive.

However, in this case, Akin has effectively thrown a pick-6 dying quail that he did not have to. If he can make this big of a gaffe this early in the campaign there is no way I can believe he won’t self destruct in the near future. His Demonrat opponent is experienced and quite happy to engage in an extremely vicious campaign.

And if Akin really won’t quit because his “wife” won’t let him someone needs to drag his wife to the side and explain to her that she can now expect 3 months of completely dishonest attacks on her for standing with him while the rest of the leftist trolls come out to vilify her husband. If she has half a brain she’ll realize that his odds of winning are somewhere between slim and none. (and slim left town yesterday.)

If only for any chance to have a political future Akin should pull out. If he refuses to withdraw and loses he permanently ends his political career. If he pulls out he might be able to rehablitate his reputation and return to politics, although considering how big a gaffe this was he might consider finding a less controversial career path.

mvargus on August 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM

DrStock on August 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

DrStock:Just sent in a Airstrike Request to AP:)

canopfor on August 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM

canopfor on August 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thank you for the good news!

lynncgb on August 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM

DrStock:Just sent in a Airstrike Request to AP:)

canopfor on August 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Thanks, eh. Hate to see one of the best traffic nights for HA abandoned by the best posters because of incessant spam.

DrStock on August 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I did it 30 minutes ago.

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I’m going to repost this on this thread & it’s on topic:-)

Where is Dire? We may need his quote. It appears that the Missouri Republican Committee aren’t interested in Brunner nor Steelman.

Instead, the top three names being floated are former senator Jim Talent, former state GOP chair Ann Wagner (who is running as the Republican in the district Akin currently represents), and Tom Schweich, the state auditor who also worked as John Bolton’s chief of staff in previous years.

Akin does the right thing and drops out, it appears the Missouri Republican Party apparatus is bound and determined to lose the seat anyway. None of these establishment types being mentioned even bothered to run in the primary. If the Missouri GOP anoints a candidate who lacks an established, grassroots organization on the ground, McCaskill will be a shoo-in for re-election.

It would be a shame if Akins drops out and this R Committee appoints someone other than Brunner or Steelman and lose the race anyway. None of these suggested names even ran in the race. This Committee makes the appointment political, instead of the voters of Mo.

bluefox on August 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

bluefox on August 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

No way that they will turn to Steelman. None. The voters of the Missouri be damned. The Establishment Republicans are not about to hand Palin a “win”. Can’t even have her speaking at the convention and some here are asking why they aren’t talking about Steelman being one of Mr. Legitimate Rape possible replacements. It is plain as the light of day. Sarah backed Sarah. A sin in the eyes of the Romney Republicans.

Tarnsman on August 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Somebody must’a told him to…

RalphyBoy on August 21, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Various newspapers are making the claim that Todd Akin was “Tea Party”. NO! Akin was never Tea Party. Akin beat the tea party candidate and the one endorsed by Sarah Palin, Sarah Steelman in the primaries.

It seems Claire McCaskill was hoping Akin would be her opponent, hoping he would implode. Sadly, he did — far too early for her, as the GOP seems to be taking measures to get another candidate in Akin’s place. I hope the GOP swiftly finds a replacement — the race and its important to the country is such a priority we need someone in there who knows how to handle the stress.

Mutnodjmet on August 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

C’mon Hot Air!

As I just pulled up your site, 11 of the 35 articles on the page referred to Todd Akin — OVER 30%!

I doubt that if Israel had bombed Iran this morning you would have had this much coverage.

Give us a break. The guy made an idiotic statement. BIG DEAL! End of story.

Concerned_American on August 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM