Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on August 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Via Real Clear Politics, a true Alfred E. Newman moment … what, me divide?

“I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country. We’ve always tried to bring the country together,” President Obama said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight.

John Podhoretz scoffs that this comes down to the age-old argument from the person caught redhanded: Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

President Obama’s answer on Wednesday to a question about his running mate claiming Republicans are going to put “y’all back in chains” was a classic bit of soothing presidential palaver.

I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country,” he said about a moment in which Joe Biden had done precisely that.

The president’s answer has the quality of the adulterer caught in bed with another woman who says to his wife, “Who you gonna believe? Me or your lying eyes?”

Obama has been using an almost-explicit class-warfare campaign since his speech to Congress in September of last year.  From blaming those who use corporate jets to the wealthy for the massive deficits his administration has rung up — over a trillion dollars in each of his years — Obama has been trying to stoke rage against the wealthy for the woes of the nation.  That strategy was put into place specifically to run against Romney, which is why Team Obama keeps obsessing over Romney’s tax returns rather than talking about what their second-term agenda is.

The only place Obama could possibly peddle this comic relief is Entertainment Tonight … which is not coincidentally the only national media outlet he’s engaging.

It’s time once again to show our support for Day By Day and its artist-publisher, Chris Muir.  Chris holds an annual fundraiser to keep the adventures of Sam, Zed, Jan, and Damon coming.  Chris, whose artwork has enhanced the OOTD feature since its inception for Hot Air readers, uses the funds raised for only the continuance of DBD.  As always, the fundraiser has many fabulous gifts available at whatever level one chooses to donate.  If you’re thinking about donating at the Jan/Damon level or above, you’ll get a Last Supper Red vs Blue magnet, which has depictions of personalities from New Media — myself included.  Donating at the Anatoly Level will get you a 9×15 print of the artwork.  Dig deep and be part of supporting the one of the best New Media cartoonists in the biz!

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

Ed did not just flirt with the President.

bayview on August 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM

what a crock!

cmsinaz on August 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Says the filthy bastard who is being sued by 43 religious institutions over the HHS mandate. Says the filthy bastard who doesn’t think businesses make their own success. Says the filthy bastard who signed an executive order to circumvent Congress on the DREAM act in order to harbor illegals and give them the status to take jobs that would otherwise be held by legitimate citizens.

In all honesty this does not meet the critera for a real OOTD because this was all intentional.

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM

My BS meter has been pegged on 100% since Jan 20th 2009.

meci on August 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM

How can you tell when Obama is being divisive? His lips are moving.

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Divide must not mean what I thought it meant.

Electrongod on August 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It is true, his pandering has brought each group together to vote for him…

hillsoftx on August 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Ed – Obama has been using class warfare since day one. Corporate jets, and Las Vegas are good examples.

EliTheBean on August 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

The Big Lie, told over and over becomes the New Truth.

JimK on August 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM

A very funny scene from A Guide for the Married Man comes to mind. The geezers among you will know which one I’m referencing.

SKYFOX on August 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

So sick and tired of this lying pissant and his cabal!

Naturally Curly on August 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

It’s just another trip down the rabbit hole…
And yet, still, nearly half of America continues to believe the lies spewing from his mouth.
I admit, I just don’t get it.

Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit on August 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I think he’s trying to bring the country together.

One country. One vision. One people. One destiny. One collective salvation. And in the future, we’ll look back and see that this, this was the time when the oceans stopped rising. When dogs and cats began to sleep next to each other and fear no harm. THIS is when mankind came together and SIEZED HIS DESTINY and ALL PEOPLE stared into the stars and knew their dreams and the dreams of their children would come true! THIS time, THIS DAY is when WE THE PEOPLE came into THE PROMISE OF ALL OF FATHER’S DREAMS!

*HUZZAH!*

*HUZZAH!*

*HUZZAH!*

*pant*

– wait, what I say?

Axe on August 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

The man cannot simply speak the truth… Almost every word he utters is the opposite of what he does… and he lies as easy as he breathes… I have never seen anything like this…Folks, this is a mental disorder…

mnjg on August 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM

He has spent entire political career is raging against the wealthy and the producers… He wants to steal the producers money and give it to the parasites…The man is a socialist and most probably a communist… There is no debate about this…

mnjg on August 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

This man is going to be so, so dangerous if he gets a second term.

Rational Thought on August 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Folks, this is a mental disorder…

mnjg on August 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Since the media supports it 100%, it can’t be a mental disorder. At worst an eccentricity.

swinia sutki on August 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Obama has been using an almost-explicit class-warfare campaign since his speech to Congress in September of last year…Obama has been trying to stoke rage against the wealthy for the woes of the nation.

Despots need to do this.
In Germany 80 yrs ago, it was the Jews’ fault.

No, I’m not comparing Obama to Hitler.
Even though both are pro-abortion, pro-high-taxes, pro-big-government, pro-fascism, anti-gun rights, & anti-religious freedom.

itsnotaboutme on August 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I guess it’s a lucky thing that whether he has tried to bring people together or not is not the focus of this election. It doesn’t change the fact that he has been a failure in all areas of the office he was elected to.

Night Owl on August 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I wasn’t happy that Obama won in 2008, but was willing to give him a chance, following in a Delaware tradition of ‘burying the hatchet’ after the election (we have a Return Day celebration where opposing candidates actually bury a hatchet signifying the end of campaigning). At that moment, he was MY president, too.

It didn’t take long before he showed he wasn’t my president. Think of all the remarks and slights, showing that he only cared about those who gave him money or could reelect him–the unions in the GM giveaway, the “they bring a knife, you bring a gun” comments, the lies about the Tea Party, the “I won” comment, his rants against the Supreme Court…and it goes on and on. “You didn’t build that” is only one more in his long list of dividing Americans into ‘his’ favored people and all the rest of us. And he has the gall to say he has united us?

This “great unifier” has increased racial tension, class envy, and union thuggery. He has divided us as Americans toward one end–getting himself elected once again so he can continue his dismantling of the nation as founded. It will take a long time before we can get over the damage he has done to our country and our economy…and that is only if we win this time.

mathgal60 on August 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

He’s the class-warfare General and Commander in Chief.

Buy Danish on August 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

“And if Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, we’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us..”

Yep, Barack, that there’s real unifying talk there…

Putz.

[Merely one example out of hundreds…]

coldwarrior on August 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Crusader Rabbit on August 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Where is Red Rabbit and where is Black Rabbit?

CorporatePiggy on August 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

The irony of all of this is that thanks to Obama, the Great Unifier, racism has increased…and…Obama by his own actions, has made it increasingly difficult for any candidate of color to make it to the White House next time around.

Basically, Obama sold “his people” down the river for a single term as President.

Gonna be a reckoning.

coldwarrior on August 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

He can keep pushing this ditty until the cows come home but the fact is he did divide the country before day one of his term.

docflash on August 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

BTW, I urge you all to see Obama 2016. Especially Ed – who is perhaps more of a skeptic than some of us about how purposefully destructive O is.

Buy Danish on August 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

mnjg on August 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Yes, It’s well beyond occasional lying. His lying is chronic, brazen and sociopathic. His elitist ideology of moral superiority, where the ends justify the means, is his license to do it. And his condescending arrogance enables him to think that we’re too stupid to know better.

petefrt on August 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

This is why he doesn’t have the guts to be interviewed by a LEGITIMATE NEWS SERVICE, and instead is relying on softball interviews to carry his warped message.

He damn well knows if he were try to pander that same load of bilge that he dumped on Entertainment Tonight at some other place like say, oh, Fox News, he would be hammered with example after example after example of how he has indeed tried to divide the country and he would be put to task to answer each and every one of those examples. He wouldn’t be able to and he knows it.

So instead, he cowers to the likes of Entertainment Tonight, and The Late Show, and The View, where he knows he is safe from the really hard questions.

The word “pathetic” does not even come close to describing this.

pilamaye on August 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Buy Danish on August 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I second that. Or if it’s not at a theater near you, read the book,
Obama’s America: Unmaking the American Dream. (Available on Kindle and as an audiobook.)

I listened to the audiobook a few days ago, and it’s first rate.

petefrt on August 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

“I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would DARE say that in any way we have tried to divide the country.”

FIFY Barack.

I pretty much take everything he says as a veiled menace. Just to be on the safe side.

“Yes We Can” is not just a slogan, it’s a threat.
“Forward” comes with an “Or Else.”
“We’ve always tried to bring the country together” is just missing the sequitur: “to our way of thinking and they’d better get in line or get euthanized by my non-existent death panels, or hollow-pointed by the EPA. “

Joan of Argghh on August 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Via Real Clear Politics, a true Alfred E. Newman moment … what, me divide?

Math is hard!

Sabercat2 on August 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Well, @Iowahawkblog has already revealed that Paul Ryan will use Obama’s weakness against him; Math! This is another case where Division by Zero has led to no answers. I think that after November, he should spend more time with his Brackets.

CitizenEgg on August 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

The word “pathetic” does not even come close to describing this.

pilamaye on August 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Not even in the same zip code!

Happy Nomad on August 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM

The economy and country overall would be better off today if, instead of “community organizing”, Øbama had spent those years working for Bain Capital (assuming he could even get a job there).

petefrt on August 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Obama and the WH “historians” edit Ben Franklin’s original quote:

We must all hang together, or (A)ssuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Fallon on August 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Well look at all the other pols that lie like this who keep getting reelected time after time.
It’s pretty outrageous, but so many fall for it bcs they don’t follow the news & what news they do follow is in the tank for him.
So he can say what he wants & none of his voters care bcs all they want are freebies at everyone else’s expense.
I will admit, tho, this guy is so over the top I can’t see how he can lie like that without bursting into flames.
It is incredible to watch.

Badger40 on August 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Obama would have continued, “I mean, everybody’s welcome to get on board with my proposals. They’re obviously what’s best for everyone. The folks that don’t see it my way are the ones being devisive.”

EconomicNeocon on August 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ed, I don’t know how we missed this meme.

To Divide by Zero is an internet slang term describing an action that leads to epic failure. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/divide-by-zero

That explains Obama to a ‘T’.

CitizenEgg on August 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Ed,
You can take the week off from doing OOTD because this is the one for the week! But I know Obama has it in him to create an even worse one so I guess we will have to wait.

tims472 on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The word “pathetic” does not even come close to describing this.

pilamaye on August 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Tell you, though, the only word I can come up with to describe the behavior of O’bama supporters over the past 4 years is “cultish”.

As I mentioned in a Hot Gas thread last week, in the course of my job I’ve gone into several houses over the past few years of people who are total strangers, and they have actually had shrines to O’bama in their homes. That’s something I have never seen in nearly 40 years in my business; I have seen the occasional picture hanging of Ronnie Reagan or JFK but they had both actually died first. Oh, and all of these people with the O’bama shrines were White.

This morning I went on Facebook for a few minutes and saw that one of my Leftist friends belongs to a Facebook Page called, and I’m not making this up, “I Love Waking Up Knowing Barack O’bama is President”.

Isn’t that kind of scary? Imagine seemingly intelligent people who wake up in the morning, and the very first thing they do is think about how wonderful Dear Leader is?

We’re turning into North Korea.

Del Dolemonte on August 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM

The key phrase here is “…who’s been watching the campaign…”

An increasing number of us have stopped watching his campaign. We change the station or change the channel when he comes on. The people who are still watching are on Obama’s side of the divide.

J Baustian on August 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

It’s going to be a glorious future komrades, GLORIOUS!!!!

jukin3 on August 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Are you trying to kid us? As I recall, Owe’s divisiveness started when he was campaigning in 2007 and said “they bring a knife, you bring a gun”, attacked mid westerners for “clinging to their guns and religion”. Attacked Wall Street while inviting them to WH wed. parties AND putting them in his administration. Demonizing the “rich” as not having paid their “fair share”. Threw his grandmother, Jeremiah Wright and a bunch of others under the bus.

He has NEVER taken the blame for any of his failures – he has ALWAYS (and continues) to blame others. Right now the blame is on his own campaign workers infighting.

katablog.com on August 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM

This is Owebama’s

I didn’t have sexual relations with that woman

moment. Though, I wouldn’t put it past Owebama for it to be his

I didn’t have sexual relations with that man

moment.

ImageSniper on August 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

…Ed said it right!…that comment from JugEars was a joke belonging on ET!

KOOLAID2 on August 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Orwellian, Pinocchean, Muenchhausean and Machiavellian degenerate!

Counter that, Tom_Schipley, you ‘erudite’ nitwit who wants proof.

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Gender-warfare
Race-warfare
Sex-warfare
Region-warfare

On class-warfare, he’s in Vegas tomorrow, again, gambling on the stupidity of the ones he unemployed and berated, the hyena.

Mock him out of town.

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

“I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country party. We’ve always tried to bring the country party together,” President Obama said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight.

sadatoni on August 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Drats, hit submit instead of preview. I corrected to quote to use what Obama meant by “country”.

sadatoni on August 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I think Obama IS trying to bring the country together…in a massive, united, bipartisan effort to remove the current administration and elect a new president in 2012…and, despite himself, he is succeeding!

His only problem is that he is totally unaware of the effects of his own efforts.

landlines on August 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Ed, I don’t know how we missed this meme.

That explains Obama to a ‘T’.

CitizenEgg on August 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Or, as Microsoft Excel would say:

#DIV/0!

ITguy on August 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Mock him out of town.

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Senate Majority Leader Reed is the only player I can think of who is much worse than the Democratic Candidate for President.

The fact the Vegas went big for him in 2010 is real support for their moniker of “Sin City”.

IlikedAUH2O on August 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

So, are you saying he’s actually not “clean and articulate”? You must be racist towards our 44th White President.

Nutstuyu on August 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Through the filter of clinical narcissism, he cannot see how anything he has said would be considered divisive. His goal in saying the things he says is to draw the passion of the groups to whom he is pandering with each pronouncement. Therefore, his statements are bringing together a coalition of dependency class groups, those for whom these messages really are filled with hope, the hope of more government cheese at the expense of the nation’s producers.

The enemies of his words, those who make this nation work, are not in his target constituency. He doesn’t care a fig for those people, or what they think of his words. Since they are outside of his scope of interest, it is impossible for him to imagine that their thoughts or reactions matter.

Therefore, he honestly believes that he is not being divisive.

This is important. Either the above is true, proving the man unfit due to mental illness to hold ANY elected office, much less the highest in the land, or the above is untrue, and he knows that he is lying everytime he speaks, and simply depends upon the media to have his back. Either way, he did not deserve a first term, much less a second.

Freelancer on August 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM