Is Todd Akin going to drop out? Update: Tea Party group says Akin should drop out

posted at 4:01 pm on August 20, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

His Twitter feed says no:

The tide is rising against him after offensive and erroneous comments on rape and the female body threw his campaign into the national spotlight and high-profile turmoil this weekend.

Jennifer Rubin of the Washington Post reports that she talked to a GOP aide who said, if he stays in the race, he “gets no assistance, no money, no surrogates.”

Ann Coulter tweets:

Crossroads GPS has yanked its ads:

Another ominous sign for embattled Missouri GOP Senate candidate Todd Akin: the heavyweight conservative groups American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS are pulling out of the state and halting their advertising against Akin’s opponent, Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill.

“The act speaks for itself,” Crossroads spokesman Nate Hodson said Monday.

Sen. Scott Brown has called on Akin to withdraw from the race. (Correction: I was unable to find my original sourcing for Sen. Olympia Snowe’s position on Akin, so I’m removing it until I can track down that story. Sorry about that!)

Sen. John Cornyn’s statement sounds like a suggestion. Cornyn is head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee:

“Congressman Akin’s statements were wrong, offensive, and indefensible. I recognize that this is a difficult time for him, but over the next twenty-four hours, Congressman Akin should carefully consider what is best for him, his family, the Republican Party, and the values that he cares about and has fought for throughout his career in public service.”

Phil Klein notes that the GOP in Missouri would be better off picking another candidate, and still has time to do so:

Politically, a lot of the analysis as to whether Akin should drop out of the race has focused on whether he could still recover from this horrendous statement and win. A more important question is what kind of senator Republicans would be getting if he could hang on and they could gain a majority in the Senate. Anybody capable of making a statement as simultaneously offensive and moronic as Akin’s is likely to make more such statements. That means, even if Akin wins, he’s likely to embarrass his party for six years and undermine the pro-life cause.

Missouri Republicans have other choices. Both Sarah Steelman and John Brunner led troubled Democratic incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill in polls taken during the GOP primary, and both were closer to the Tea Party than Akin (Steelman was endorsed by Sarah Palin). If Akin drops out of the race by tomorrow, the Missouri GOP could still pick another candidate. Akin has caused enough damage already. He should do the right thing and step aside and make room for somebody else while there’s still time.

I’m with Phil on this. This kind of statement is the last thing Republicans need when they’re already forced to fend off false allegations of misogyny and insensitivity over contraception and “women’s issues.” High-profile instances of real insensitivity do damage to the Republican brand and conservative causes alike. Yes, Akin is paying a higher price for this gaffe than he would another because it plays into an established narrative the Left and the media favor, but we have to ask ourselves whether we want someone representing us who is prone to such boneheaded pronouncements. It sounded as if he’s never thought through his pro-life stance before. There are plenty of ways to communicate his position on this issue without saying what he did. If, as the Weekly Standard suggests, social issues do matter in this election, do you want Akin as your side’s spokesperson? I will stipulate, however, that the fact this is getting more coverage than the shooting at Family Research Council will ever get is a sin.

On the other hand, Matt Lewis argues that national coverage of this gaffe might not be as damaging in Missouri as coverage of Sen. George Allen’s “macaca” moment was Virginia in 2006:

Larry Sabato notes that is a national story, and indeed it is. But a national story probably hurts much less in Missouri than it did in Virginia. When the Washington Post relentlessly covered “macaca” during the fall of 2006, those national stories were read by thousands of voters in population-heavy Northern Virginia (which also shares the Washington, DC TV media market). My guess is the national impact won’t matter quite as much in Missouri. It’s also worth noting that Allen’s gaffe also occurred in 2006, a very bad Republican year. What is more — unlike this year — there was no presidential race to overshadow it (it’s unclear whether or not that factor will help or hurt Akin, as Democrats will try to tie him to the ticket.)

In any event, while it is unclear whether or not Akin can survive, the “macaca” analogy is probably flawed.

Update: Statutorily speaking, Akin has 24 hours:

Missouri state law allows a nominated candidate to withdraw his or her bid for office by 5 p.m. on the 11th Tuesday before the election which, as it turns out, is tomorrow. If Akin does drop his bid before tomorrow’s deadline, the state’s GOP central committee would pick his replacement.

This statutory fact alone is why Republicans — from National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn (Texas) to presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) — are coalescing around a 24-hour ultimatum.

Update: Former Missouri Sen. Jim Talent weighs in:

Former Missouri Senator Jim Talent said he will not run against Sen. Claire McCaskill, even if Rep. Todd Akin exits the key Senate race.

“No, I’m not running for the Senate,” Talent told reporters attending the Republican platform committee in Tampa, where he serves as a delegate from Missouri.

There’s some wiggle room in that formulation, and he calls Cornyn’s comments “very appropriate.”

Update: Tea Party Express says Akin should hit the road. Your mileage may vary on how much Tea Party Express is a stand-in for actual grassroots Tea Party sentiment, but interesting:

“One of the lessons we learned in 2010 is that we need candidates who are not only conservative, but are capable of putting together a strong campaign against liberal opponents,” Amy Kremer, the group’s chairwoman, said in a statement. Kremer followed Connie Mack’s lead in comparing Akin’s comments to ones made by Vice President Joe Biden last week: “Akin’s frequent ‘Bidenisms’ are distracting from the important issues at hand.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

we will rally around Akin as GOP hero if he withdraws for the good of the country. Roe is at stake!

Freakin’ A!!

JohnGalt23 on August 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

If he sincerely wants to apologize, the way to show his sincerity is by dropping out.

aunursa on August 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

His rival, Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, spent $2 million during the Republican primary boosting Akin as the “true conservative” because the campaign considered him the weakest potential challenger.

If she wins due to this moron, he can burn in Hades.

She is the Blanche Lincoln of 2010 and MUST go!

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

This guy needs to go. This statement shows a complete lack of judgement and awareness.

The GOP needs to be talking about the economy now, not splitting hairs on abortion. What a huge unforced error.

NoDonkey on August 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

He’s raping the GOP chances of winning the senate this cycle. Thus preventing us from aborting Obamacare.

lorien1973 on August 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Why do we need yet another stupid politician in office? If he doesn’t have a more rudimentary knowledge of the human body than this, how is he going to balance the budget or even get the roads plowed in the winter?

vityas on August 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

He got under 40 percent of the primary vote in a race with two other relatively even candidates, so this isn’t like the GOP being forced to import Alan Keyes from Maryland to take on Barack Obama in the ’04 Illinois Senate race. Get it done quickly and the focus goes back on McCaskill, especially if she has to continue to keep hiding from Obama for the next 80 days.

jon1979 on August 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

My last comment on this matter all day:

The man is a fool and deserves to lose, but despite the glee of the msm/Democrats we are still winning. The reality on the ground is a groundswell in factor of limited government ideas, we are seeing this on the state level and national level and Obama can be defeated, every week he is losing power and as angry as this made me, it will not change the rightward shift the whole country is making.

rob verdi on August 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

The Hannity interview was a catastrophe.

He would start to go down a rhetorical road to defend a particular word, phrase, or worldview, and you could just picture him looking up at a staffer who would be shaking his/her head, only to have Akin do a 180.

aquaviva on August 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

GET. OUT. NOW.

Caiwyn on August 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Just heard Akin on Hannity. Sean all but suggested that he should drop out for the good of the party and the country – but Akin says he’s staying in.

TarheelBen on August 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

He’s done. Drop out, or figure out a way to get MI to agree on a 3rd candidate, and make that the de facto candidate.

anotherJoe on August 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Sen. Scott Brown has called on Akin to withdraw from the race while Sen. Olympia Snowe has suggested resignation from the House.

When the RINOs abandon you, it seems it’s really over.

kim roy on August 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

With idiots like Akin….
What a total fool.
He makes Biden look smart.

albill on August 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

He can’t possibly stay in…right? Right???

Who knew that control of the Senate might hinge on the moronic musings of a guy who’s apparently never cracked open a biology book published in the last 50 years. Yay us!

changer1701 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

As a St Louis Republican, I called State GOP HQ yesterday within half an hour of his moronic statements, telling them he wasn’t going to get my vote. He NEEDS TO LEAVE. I have known women who were the victims of sexual assault, and I will not give my stamp of approval to the appallingly ignorant remarks he made. This ticks me off massively, as I’ve been waiting 6 years to see McCaskill booted out of her seat for her vote on ObamaCare–but I cannot cast a vote for a twisted dirtbag like him and still look at myself in the mirror.

In the words of Oliver Cromwell: “Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

quikstrike98 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

This guy needs to drop out NOW! There is no coming back from this one, fall on our sword and do the right thing. We do not need this kind of message representing our party.

deuce on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The conceit that he is the only one that can take on these issues is astounding, especially considering how badly he stepped in it this weekend. We do need a conservative senate, that’s kinda the whole point here Todd!

stldave on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Buh bye

cmsinaz on August 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Drop out now you stubborn pain in the @ss, Romney can make you an ambassador or something if he wins.

gsherin on August 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Does Akin think God is going to shower money down on him from Heaven to fund his campaign?

Mark1971 on August 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

He should get out of the race. If for no other reason than his Alfalfa hair cut.

kit dinker on August 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM

GET OUT NOW. We do not need this. The stakes are too high. GET OUT!

Gilda on August 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Don’t let the door hit you!

brewcrew67 on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

She is the Blanche Lincoln of 2010 and MUST go!

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Actually I’d much prefer Lincoln over McCaskill. Less of a liberal, much less of a demogogue, and a million times easier on the eyes. Replacing McCaskill is even more important than replacing Lincoln was.

BuzzCrutcher on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Drop out, we do not support that kind of hokey talk Akin. Keep it at your house not in the Senate. My goodness, where are we Zimbabwe?, Iran?

jake49 on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I’ll never understand why anyone believes politicians do anything for the good of the party or their community. They do whatever they can to stay in power. They will make calculated moves towards that end.

If this was an up and coming politician with a long future ahead of him, I could see him bowing out because it would be good for that type of politician to do so. They would take time off and try to come back later.

But this is an established politician that is used to the perks and power of being in Congress. He’s not about to let that power slip away so easily.

I would be very, very, very surprised if he drops out.

ButterflyDragon on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Atkin needs to drop the ^^ out. Someone give him a carrot, and if that doesn’t work, give him the stick.

anotherJoe on August 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Rising tide of bullshite.
The guy said something stupid, but this bum’s rush is getting even more stupid.

rayra on August 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I suspect he has all fingers in the wind to see if he can salvage it. Probably doing a quick poll after his Hannity debacle, as a last measure. Unrelenting pressure from all sides, please.

a capella on August 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

He’s Tweeting for money?! For money?! You have got to be kidding me! This guy is such a loser. He could have dropped out and gained sympathy in a few days. Now, he’s just an a-hole.

Rational Thought on August 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

What’s worse, Akins comment or RomneyCare and Ann Coulter’s defense of RomneyCare? Devil’s advocate but i got a point.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Everyone wants him to drop out but himself and perhaps Huckabee. If he doesn’t, they need to find a write in candidate with name recognition and back him. Otherwise there is no way we will win this seat.

mrscullen on August 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

quikstrike98 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I was going to go the Henry II/Thomas Becket route, but I don’t want to encourage anyone out there who I know must be as angry as me…

JohnGalt23 on August 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

He says he’s staying in.

catmman on August 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Akin will drop out. The pressure is incredible from the GOP, and rightly so, and he stands zero chance of winning.

The problem is that he’s so toxic now that he stands little chance of salvaging anything of his career. He may well think he has nothing to lose personally.

This is when the electorate and the GOP establishment gets a definitive answer regarding the degree to which Akin is willing to put the needs of the nation, and what’s best for his own electorate, before his own ambition and personal feelings.

thatsafactjack on August 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

What’s with the Facebook commenters in the headlines? Is that like the kids’ table at Thanksgiving?

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Wow! That’s a lot of dough droppin’ out of sympathy.

DrStock on August 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I voted for Akin, but he needs to drop out. Romney win or no Romney win, six more years of McCaskill as senator will be impossible for me to tolerate.

T-Rav on August 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I will fund this man’s campaign by myself if I need to. I feel sorry for the man now.Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

An excellent reason to support a candidate.

a capella on August 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He has to go. At least conservatives are being sensible in not trying to defend the indefensible.

Southernblogger on August 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

This has been so damaging, that Obama actually came out of seclusion to be asked questions on it by the White House Press Corp.

DROP OUT, SCHMUCK!!

portlandon on August 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He must go !!
If he stays, it will be a one issue campaign that he cannot possibly win.
Publicity(negative) will seep out into other races and distract from other, more pertinant ones.
This guy is walking, talking burnt toast.

Jabberwock on August 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Yeah, poor guy, what are we thinking? I mean, who hasn’t opined about legitimate rape and how the female body rejects rapist sperm?

You go ahead and fund that.

changer1701 on August 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Akin is what happens when you don’thave a primary run-off.

See also: Romney :)

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I am predicting that if he stays in, Obama will win MO and it is game over for R/R.

weaselyone on August 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

That sick feeling of knowing we just threw away another senate seat.

Harry Reid for another 2 years. Unbelievable.

acyl72 on August 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

If we lose the Senate because of him, he’ll be vilified by every
Republican for the rest of his miserable life. He is putting his personal ambition above the millions of people who will be forced to put their health in the hands of Obamacare.

I am a senior (age 64). I am terrified of Obamacare, and worse, the fate of my children as we slide into fiscal insolvency because of an unsustainable entitlement. Akin should withdraw now. A couple of years from now he can return, with a rehabilitated image. Right now, he will lose and drag the rest of us down with him.

hachiban on August 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

quikstrike98 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

KUDOS.

Marcus on August 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Shoulda listened to Palin.

faraway on August 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It sounded as if he’s never thought through his pro-life stance before.

yes, yes and yes. This is an issue of incompetence. Incompetence in speaking to a journo. Do we want another incompetent R in the Senate

Coulter used to say, wrt to the candidate for president, she wanted someone who wouldn’t tie her stomach in knots every time he answered a question.

bingo. we have a lot of good ole boys who aren’t that bright and really can’t handle modern day telecommunications

No doubt Akin believes he’s the man…but this is just venality. At this point, he could not be elected in his own district in St Louis County…which is a moderately conservative middle class area

If people knew who he was, they would have voted for Steelman or Brunner

r keller on August 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Why is it that the second a Republican makes a stupid statement, there are calls for his head on a platter, but if a Democrat makes a stupid statement, you never hear about it? (Oh yeah — double standard. I forgot.)

JoAnn1965 on August 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I feel confident that Mr. Akins is not for rape perior, legitimate rape or illegitimate rape.

He’s also not a witch.

I think everybody getting worked up over nothing. He’s just bad with words. Nobody would care if this was Biden.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I’m sensing a party of concern trolls here.

faraway on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Out.

Abby Adams on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

We need to win.
If Akin drops out I will max out my contribution to the replacement Republican nominee.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Has Palin called on him to drop out yet?

Mark1971 on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I live here in Missouri and I can say without a doubt that Akin will be a pariah here if he doesn’t drop out and costs us the seat. He would never be able to show his face here in public again.

eva3071 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

From the headlines.

eva3071 on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Right now we are the Rape-publican Party. We have to keep the pressure on to get him out. Call and email:

Missouri Republican State Committee
(573) 636-3146
info@mogop.org

scrubjay on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

weaselyone on August 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Why do you think he could barely keep from doing a jig at his presser, the cat with the canary feathers coming out of his mouth?

Marcus on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

anybody seen the feedback to his earlier tweet regarding staying in?

Uniformly negative.

Akin has to go.

matthew8787 on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Look,

I have some experience with lynch mobs, and this dude is getting strung up over some words.

Everybody needs to cool down a bit. Akins is a person too. A legimiate bonified person.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I’m sensing a party of concern trolls here.

faraway on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

You should see the original thread…to paraphrase Lionel Richie, “All Day Long”.

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

When Establishment Republicans act Like Liberals! Eat your own and then expect others to follow you? Really? The Same way Obama Sold Out the Dr. Who confirmed Bin Laden. Establishment Republicans and Rino’s have now admitted to following the “John McCain Model” of Campaign Strategy in order to not have to repeal ObamTaxCare!

God Bless America!

We really need it now more than ever!

paratisi on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

JoAnn1965 on August 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

The double standard only applies to the media.

Republicans get rid of guys like this because it is the right thing to do. This is one of the things that distinguishes the GOP from the DNC.

weaselyone on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

GET. OUT. NOW.

Caiwyn on August 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

quikstrike98 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I assume Akin is having some interesting telephone conversations today. I hope to God he does the right thing.

If he withdraws quickly, this whole kerfuffle could actually help the Republican party – by demonstrating that it has zero tolerance for such lunacy. Conversely, if he stays, the “war against women” meme sticks like glue.

Pythagoras on August 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

quikstrike98 on August 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Get your people on the phones to the State GOP, and to his campaign office. Not his House office… his campaign office. (636) 207-7986

Have them be polite, but let his staff know they are from MO, they tend to vote GOP, but that Todd Akin will not get their vote.

I cannot overstate how important I think getting him out is. Please. If you have MO people, get them to work on this. Only you can do this.

JohnGalt23 on August 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

This idiot needs to leave the stage right now! However, I’m not terribly enthusiastic about the state GOP selecting a replacement if it isn’t from one of the two who ran in the primary. They’re foisting up names like John Ashcroft and Jim Talent. Geez, really?!! Those are the types we need now?

JonPrichard on August 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Can he be replaced on the ballot if we can get a court to declare him legally insane?

Mark1971 on August 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Obamacare is the law of the land and will be until the day we die – Akin or no Akin.

Mitt RomneyCare Romneyy will never repeal it or have the votes to reapeal it.

That said, Akin should absolutely drop out – and now.

newtopia on August 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Curiously, the “lynch mobs” after Akin and you only formed after you both opened your mouths and something tremendously moronic came out.

Jeddite on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

will people please stop calling it a gaffe. A gaffe is when you are misunderstood because you said something in a clumsy way. We heard what he said about women having the ability to not get pregnant from a rape, that part was clear. It wasn’t a gaffe it was moronic and offensive. Call it what it is.

exceller on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

People need to seriously call the MO GOP 573-636-3146 and tell this idiot to step down

Yes, life is unfair. Yes, there is a double standard.

But this was a self-inflicted and fatal wound.

matthew8787 on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Biden should drop out for his “chains” statement.

Obama should drop out for calling his opponent a felon and accusing him of killing Ms. Sobic! — or not showing his college records.

Stephanie Cutter should quit for lying about the phone conference with Sobic

Axelrod should quit because — you name he’s lied about it!

Liz Warren should withdraw because of her lying about her heritage and plagiarizing recipes.

By dropping out/quitting they would sincerely be apologizing to the US electorate.

Akin has already recanted his misstatement.

KenInIL on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’m sensing a party of concern trolls here.

faraway on August 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Yeah, Tesla is doing his best to make the thread all about him. Again.

a capella on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Not disputing that. Unfortunately the only fix is to be repentant and leave.

Southernblogger on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I don’t think Akins is going to see doing the right thing as dropping out. Dude didn’t spend all this time running for office to give up that quickly.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

i’m torn on this. why do republicans have to constantly remove themselves because of an ill advised comment?? i don’t see biden stepping down after his chains remark! how about warren in massachusetts?!?

there are literally dozens of cases of dems making equally bad statements, yet they lay low for a few days and then it goes away. why must republicans always turn on each other and demand our guy steps down, yet we do not demand the same from their side???

jetch on August 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I say we trade him for Biden… or DWS.

faraway on August 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I regularly give my Democratic friends grief over the corruption and venality of their elected officials. I demand that Republicans maintain high standards of conduct as well, and I will not be a hypocrite by criticizing the mote in the opposition’s eye while ignoring the beam in my own party’s.

quikstrike98 on August 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

What’s wrong with there being 1 person (1 hero) defending Akins on here? Fair and balanced?

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Please, drop out now. We need the Senate and Missouri is winnable.

Kaffa on August 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

A legimiate bonified person.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Of course.

But he’s an idiot and needs to go.

In my mind, its not about lynch mobs. Its holding ours accountable where the other side doesn’t. If this guy were a Democrat, he’d be fine. He’s not. Yeah, they were “just words” but those are supposed to have consequences, just like actions.

Too much depends on this.

catmman on August 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

So I’m guessing he won’t be speaking at the convention?

kit dinker on August 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

jetch on August 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Because republicans are cowards and let the media dictate the terms of the playing field.

tom daschle concerned on August 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Dems from all over the country probably promising all kinds of contributions that will never materialize to prop up this sure loser.

He even looks too damned old.

matthew8787 on August 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Don’t Feed DR T.

MontanaMmmm on August 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Please don’t go the hero self-worshipping route. Barry has that role locked up.

DrStock on August 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

catmman,

If we continue to support him, he wins. Who do you want Atkins or the liberal woman? His views on abortion aren’t going to matter in the Senate.

Dr. Tesla on August 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Hannity told Akins directly that according to his incoming emails, people want him to get out. I think he will. I just hope Sarah Steelman gets chosen to take his place.

parteagirl on August 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The lead story on every MSM outlet I tuned into today, hour after hour.

Big GOP money already turned off the tap to Akin.

Meanwhile, the left is in Alinsky high gear trying to put Akin’s words in every GOP mouth.

Viator on August 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I haven’t seen this much concern since Custer used his telescope before the battle of Big Horn.

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Don’t Feed DR T.

MontanaMmmm on August 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

weaselyone on August 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

JoAnn1965 on August 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Two reasons. First, we hold ourselves to a higher standard than the Dems. Secondly, we don’t want to jeopardize a crucial Senate seat that should be a gimme this November.

Think back to Tony Dick(aka Anthony Weiner) who took a very long time to resign from his seat, in no small part because his fellow Democrats didn’t demand he step down immediately. He eventually alienated his district so much that they elected a conservative Republican to his seat.

There are consequences for tolerating stupidity like this. Let’s not risk it when replacing would all but guarantee we pick up this seat.

Doughboy on August 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Anyone with name recognition that would be a good write in candidate? I’m sure that individual would get plenty of funding!

mrscullen on August 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM

His Twitter feed says no

Well, that makes it a legitimate rape.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM