Quotes of the day

posted at 9:31 pm on August 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

The Obama team on Sunday maintained that Vice President Joe Biden has not become a liability to the president’s reelection bid, despite the recent Republican backlash over his latest gaffe…

Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter, reaffirmed the president’s confidence in Biden and noted his comment, while awkwardly delivered, did highlight an important difference between the two presidential campaigns.

“They’re using that one word as a distraction, but the larger point is an important point,” Cutter said Sunday on ABC’s This Week, in response to the Romney camp’s criticism of Biden’s comments.

***

“Y’all?” Santorum asked incredulously. “Y’all is y’all. When you are in a group – and I have been in groups like that, and you know, it is very easy when you are in a group of people that, you know, when you are in the South or up in different areas of the country and different groups of people – and you develop an affinity with the group that you are speaking in front of, and that is what the vice president was doing. And he tried to develop the affinity and he did it in a horrendous way, and he should apologize for it.”

***

“There isn’t a racist bone in Joe Biden’s body and to suggest that, I think, is over the edge,” Durbin shot back. “This fact is, Joe Biden, throughout his career, has fought for equality and opportunity and to suggest something else — it may have been a misuse of words, but to take it to that extreme is just too much Mr. Mayor.”

“Well, how about apologizing for it,” Giuliani responded.

***

Barack Obama is in danger of ruining his “hope and change” brand by “turning negative” this year! This claim simply relies on a re-imagined history. Those who now believe Obama ran only positive commercials in 2008 may want to review the record. While John McCain ran a higher percentage of negative ads, Obama still availed himself of plenty of opportunities to criticize and contrast his opponents, as more than 50% of his ads were negative, according to the Wisconsin Advertising Project.

And during the primary campaign with Hillary Clinton, implicit in his positive argument that he would usher in “hope and change” was the counter-argument that Clinton was a symbol of the old, dirtier way of doing business in DC. Based on emails I have from that time, specific attacks on Clinton ranged from policy critiques on her health care plan and its individual mandate, to more personal characterizations like “disingenuous,” “untruthful,” “dishonest,” “doing whatever it takes to win,” “attempting to deceive the American people just so that they can win this election,” and “playing politics with war.”

The bottom line: For better or worse, Obama is a professional politician, and always has been. This means he plays by similar rules and playbooks as other people in his line of business.

***

Paul Ryan is a real addition to Romney’s camp. He’s young, intelligent, well-informed and articulate. He’s serious about matters which are serious. And he has a genuine personal appeal. In fact, when I think of Ryan in comparison with the Jar Jar Binks who currently serves President Obama, that bundle of malapropisms, confusion, malice and profound shallowness the world knows as Joe Biden, I think the Romney choice is a stoke of contrasting genius. Biden some people have called a “gaffe-machine.” But they struggle for real explanation, for who has fathomed the dead still waters of the mare closum of the Biden mind?…

Of course, immediately after this consummate ["chains"] smear, a lot of people dismissively said, “Oh, it’s only Joe again.” Problem is, it’s always Joe. He’s a bumbling, offensive, shallow, undisciplined excuse for a vice-president

Some of this election was supposed to have pivoted on Romney’s pick of Ryan. Now it might — after the “y’all in chains” comment this week — turn more on up-to-now-ignored Joe Biden. After all, what besides misadventure, an undammable flow of cliches and gaffes, and sour race-based slurs, does Joe Biden bring to the Obama ticket? If we discount the flurry of prayers begging that Obama never fall ill or worse, nothing…

No, Obama has to live with his VP, like a strange uncle in the attic. But I suspect after this week, the handlers will take over Joe, write his scripts, narrow his appearances and keep him away for good from African-American audiences. If he needs something to feel like he’s contributing, a colouring book should suffice. And perhaps a little extra clarification on what century he’s living in, too.

***

Via the Corner.

***

Cutter jabbed back at Giuliani’s comments regarding Biden’s abilities to handle the job as vice president by recalling Giuliani’s full-throated defense of controversial pick Sarah Palin to do the job nearly three years ago.

“If he wants to criticize the capacity of a vice president to take hold of this country, he should go back and look at those remarks and whether he still believes that they’re true,” Cutter said.

***

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

First, you call me “mentally disabled. Next, you attack AP. Then, you attack Ed.

So, tell us all, bluegill. How’s YOUR blog doing?

Oh…wait…

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Whatever. I did none of those things. You’re misinterpreting comments.

So, what are yoru thoughts, KingJester? Would you like to see Akin replaced? Would you like to see Sarah Palin or Ed or others call for him to step aside? After all, this matter doesn’t only affect MO. Control of the senate is a national issue.

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Yes, it is, Others have already carefullyexplained Palin’s stance, over and over again, to you. What is it about English,that you don’t understand?

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM

1. It will be a cold day in hell when I ever give a flying fig about how you think I act on this board.

2. I had never said, nor have I ever said, anything personally negative about any of the nominees, including Mitt Romney, when you decided it was your place to insert yourself into something I had said to another commenter by telling me to take my comments elsewhere and then demanding that I vote for someone AND like it.

3. I have NEVER said anything to OR about Sheryl and petunia and I challenge you to find where I have or admit that you’re lying – AGAIN.

4. It was established long ago who has embarrassed whom.

5. Your opportunity for “unity” with me passed in January, when I offered the deal to ignore each other and you didn’t take me up on it.

6. I’m still waiting for you to back up your claim from a few weeks ago where you claimed that you have proven me to be wrong on many occasions or the admission that you were lying – AGAIN.

7. ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮ h/t SparkPlug

#WAR

Flora Duh on August 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I’ve been curious about Biden for a long time. He’s an idiot, no doubt, but either he is so self absorbed he doesn’t realize he is saying idiotic things, OR he is starting to suffer early signs of dementia.

I watched it.

I here to say, it is more than an idiot thinking he is bright. I know. I think Biden is losing it and EVERYBODY KNOWS but won’t say anything. Like JFK cheating, Clinton getting BJ’s, Hillary having knock down drag out fights with Bill over the BJ’s! We all learn later it was a big deal, but those in power didn’t think we needed to know.

You watch he may limp through next election, but not for next four years. I know because sooner or later you can’t hide it.

archer52 on August 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Flora Duh on August 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Grow up and bother someone else. You’re just mad because I embarrassed you months ago.

Get. Over. It.

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

kingsjester on August 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

What is her stance? I understand that she endorsed Steelman, but that shouldn’t prevent her from saying anything. Please explain this. I would like to better understand. Since time is of the essence, I think it would be best to have as many prominent conservatives as possible putting pressure on Akin.

Does Palin have the guts? I hope so. We shall soon see.

Now, maybe there are details in the replacement process that I don’t know about, which would lead people to stay quiet for the time being. But if this is all about convincing Akin to step aside, then I say pressure him with all we got.

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You’re just mad because I embarrassed you months ago.

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

LOL

Prove it gilled one.

Flora Duh on August 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

7. ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮ h/t SparkPlug

#WAR

Flora Duh on August 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

LMAO- thats my Sparky.

Morning Flora…have a splendid day.

bazil9 on August 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Get. Bread. Ball.

bluegill on August 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Bmore on August 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Santorum misses the boat here. It’s very common for someone to address a group of people in the South as “y’all”, as a plural form of “you”. Biden’s real gaffe was the “back in chains” part of his statement–what if there were non-black people in his audience whose ancestors never were in chains?

Biden’s allusion to slavery probably reminded some voters of his earlier remarks that Delaware (which Biden represented in the Senate) was a slave state, and his complaints about convenience stores being run by people of Indian descent. Guess what, Joe, there are two Governors of Indian descent, both Republicans in the South (Jindal of LA and Haley of SC).

So who is the real racist in this Presidential election? Romney and Ryan, who never mentioned anything about race in their campaign, or Biden, who keeps bringing it up?

Steve Z on August 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

But, I have to wonder. What is the real difference between Akin talking about “legitimate rape” and Whoopie Goldberg’s comments about “rape rape.”

One is a senate candidate, one is a comedian. Though really who can tell which at this point.

libfreeordie on August 20, 2012 at 8:29 AM

For once, we agree…make that twice, considering your good taste for classical music

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM