Quotes of the day

posted at 9:16 pm on August 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

On the campaign trail this week, Ryan’s discussion of Medicare has focused on President Obama’s taking $716 billion from Medicare to pay for Obamacare, along with brief reassurances that he and Mitt Romney will protect the program. But in Florida today, Ryan put Medicare front and center. He both stepped up his attacks on Obamacare’s plan to change Medicare for current seniors and made a positive case for reforming the program for Americans under the age of 55. Ryan warned that Obamacare installed a board of bureaucrats that will “cut Medicare in ways that will lead to denied care for current seniors.” And he framed his case for reform in terms of family values -— in terms of his own obligation to protect Medicare as it is today for his mother, and to reform it in his generation so that his children will benefit from a social safety net and a debt-free nation…

Ryan explained that “in order to make sure we can guarantee that promise for my mom’s generation for those baby boomers retiring every day, we must reform it for my generation. To save it for this generation, you have to reform it for my generation, so it doesn’t go bankrupt when we want to retire.”…

And what did “Boston”—i.e., Romney headquarters—think of the event? One source said, “‘Boston’ was nervous early this morning. They watched it on TV. At first they were relieved. Then they were excited.”

***

That’s the genius of Romney’s vice-presidential pick: It explicitly invites Americans to “do the right thing.” Insofar as he’s known to the electorate at all, Paul Ryan is the man with the plan — the guy who understands that multi-trillion-dollar spendaholic government cannot continue. On that subject, Obama is the man with no plan, and no plans to get any plan. Yet the mere selection of Ryan has already improved the quality of the Obama campaign: Two weeks ago, they were denouncing Romney for killing a woman by cunningly giving her cancer five years after laying off her husband. Now they’re denouncing Ryan for killing off Medicare. The former is the opening scene from the straight-to-video Carcinogenic Zombie Mormon Venture Capitalist Apocalypse; the latter has a very very teensy-weensy gossamer thread of connection to the issues facing the United States. So we should congratulate the Democrats on a modest re-acquaintance with reality. With Ryan on the ticket, the central question facing America can’t be ducked…

For the record, Obama has already made $716 billion in Medicare cuts to pay for Obamacare. That’s three-quarters of a trillion. The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, was in Ottawa last week asking Her Majesty’s Canadian Government to chip in for the euro-zone bailout. The euro zone includes some of the richest nations in history, but it’s still not enough. And the entire euro-zone bailout is $450 billion — or a little over half the cost of the first Obama stimulus. Under Obama’s no-plan plan, there’s not enough money on the planet.

***

Republican strategists believe that there is really only one way to win the Medicare message wars: mount a bruising offense and attack Democrats for their own actions surrounding the popular federal health care program for senior citizens…

“It caught the Democrats a little off-guard that the fight’s being taken to them on an issue that they thought they’d just play defense on,” Stutzman said. “I just think this thing is really smart on a lot of levels that are not being appreciated: bringing up the issue now because it’s going to be brought up anyway, litigate it and win it now or at least fight it to a draw — which I’m absolutely convinced they can do — and that returns the October debate to jobs and the economy and now you’re back to a referendum on the incumbent.”…

Ultimately, though, the endgame for the Romney team on Medicare is to use the issue to move the discussion back to jobs and the economy, which is where the campaign wants the focus to be heading into Election Day. That isn’t an argument, however, that fits neatly into a soudbite.

“Romney can win this argument, but not until he finds a way to shift it back to the economy,” said Dan Schnur, director of the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics at the University of Southern California and a veteran GOP strategist. “There are connectors between Medicare and deficits and economic growth.”

***

If the past week has been any indication, the Democrats are not well prepared to deal with this strategy. I doubt they wanted to spend a week explaining why and how they cut Medicare for current seniors while still failing to avert the program’s future collapse. They’re still struggling to explain that, and with their first few excuses — we didn’t do it, Ryan did it too, they’re not real cuts, and seniors don’t really need those benefits we cut — mostly fallen by the wayside in a matter of days, they have turned to abject double counting, insisting that even though they spent the money elsewhere (on Obamacare), their Medicare cuts nonetheless increase the future solvency of the Medicare program…

The longer they flail, the less likely the Democrats are to be able to effectively bring up Medicare themselves in this election season, and the more likely Romney is to keep voters focused on the economy in the fall—and therefore focused on what they like least about the incumbent president. It’s easy to see what Romney will be running on in September and October. But what will Obama be running on?

***

“Like a lot of Americans, when I think about Medicare, it’s not just a program,” Ryan told the mostly-elderly crowd at The Villages, a central Florida retirement community that is billed as the world’s largest. “It’s what my mom relies on. It’s what my grandma had.”…

“Medicare was there for our family, for my grandma, when we needed it then, and Medicare is there for my mom while she needs that now, and we need to keep that guaranteed,” the 42-year-old House Budget Committee chairman said, describing the experience of being one of the primary caregivers for his grandmother, who suffered from advanced Alzheimer’s.

***

Obama expressed some artificial bemusement that the GOP ticket has focused on in recent days on Medicare, with Romney using a whiteboard as a prop Friday in South Carolina and Ryan stumping Saturday with his mother in The Villages retirement community in Florida.

“You’d think they’d avoid talking about Medicare, given the fact that both of them have proposed to voucherize the Medicare system,” Obama said. I guess they figured the best defense is playing on offense.”…

“Their plan would put Medicare on track to be ended as we know it,” he said. “It would be an entirely different plan. It would be a plan in which you could not count on health care because it would have to come out of your pocket. That’s the real difference between our plans on Medicare. That’s the choice in this election and that’s why I’m running for a second term as president.”

Click the image to watch.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

KCB on August 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

K, I love you. LOL.

One of my faves saw them a few times..I think your hip..damn! Tell your daughter..B said..she has the coolest dad evah. Just talked with this about a friend tonight..why on my mind. Saw them in 97. First time.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Good evening, War Planner. How are you, Sir?

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

..doin’ o.k., ma’am even after four beers and a few G’n’T’s.

My friend, Tim the Brit, on the other hand is feeling no pain.

You’re looking as lovely as ever, though, ma’am!

The War Planner on August 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I call b.s.!

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I am a gay chick and dig him . ;) For now…

Hey..long time Mister C.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Lol. Yep–long time.

Was at the bar earlier and chatting-up a lovely girl. Then, after several hours, she said something pro-Odumbo!!! ALAS!! I had to leave.

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Just curious…why do I pay 50% income tax and Mitt pays 13??? I’m doin “sunthin” wrong …the last time I payed 13% was when I was a hooker

Kirstie Alley (@kirstiealley) August 18, 2012

She then should still be paying 13% now.

bayview on August 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Come to think of it, if Kirstie Alley’s income is from the Oldest Profession now, she will be getting earned income credits.

bayview on August 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Lots of personal back and forth is this thread. I think we all need to wake up.Romney and Ryan are going to win.

Yes, I said it and I think it’s important to wrap your minds around it. Changing everthing is next and our enemies are VERY powerful.

So start planning.

AYNBLAND on August 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Hmmm. The personal chit chat bother you? Think it needs to be stopped?

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Proud.

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I call b.s.!

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I do worry about your new jaded outlook.

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

The War Planner on August 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM

You’re too kind, Sir! I’m glad to see you, too! :)

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

It’s Obama’s fault.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Sympathique…

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress – The Hollies

SparkPlug on August 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Are we suppose to start planning here? Tonight? Does it entail breaking up into small study groups?

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Very nice..:):)

PS..Here is one for you!..Don’t they look young in this video??!!??..:)

PSS..Hope things are going well for you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I didn’t even bring a pencil. Hope someone has an extra.

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Good evening folks..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Good Evening Dire. I trust all is well this Saturday evening. ; ) I was late getting here, just got caught up.

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Good evening, Cindy! Nice to see you. Say…. I didn’t know we had HALL MONITORS here on HA. Who appointed that one… the bland one…up thread?

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Quick pop in peeps,I`m on a Op-Ed/News Scrutenization Mission on
Ryan in Florida Speechy!:)
___________________________

(“And Mom you did build that,” he said. “I’m so proud of her for doing that.”)

August 18, 2012, 3:06 p.m. ET

Ryan Makes Case for Medicare Overhaul
**************************************

THE VILLAGES, Fla.—The Romney-Ryan Medicare plan isn’t just political rhetoric, Paul Ryan said Saturday. It is a promise to his mother.

“I want to introduce you to my mom, Betty. She’s why I’m here,” Mr. Ryan told the senior-dominated crowd that filled the town square of this sprawling retirement community.

At the end of a week that saw both presidential campaigns argue that their opponents would gut Medicare, the Republican vice-presidential candidate came to this GOP stronghold to make a personal pitch for his vision for the health-care program for the elderly and disabled.

“Like a lot of Americans, when I think about Medicare, it’s not just a program. It’s not just a bunch of numbers,” he said. “It’s what my mom relies on. It’s what my grandma had.”
(More…)
===========

canopfor on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Ho! LOL

I am in the smoker group. TY in advance.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Cool, I call dibs on study group with Cindy!

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

HIGH WATER EVERYWHERE

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Good evening!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Good evening!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Any idea what the tread is about?

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

It is amazing how many people want that job.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Are you ure the water is not this color??..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

So start planning.

AYNBLAND on August 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I will remind anyone of this scenario if they ever complain about chit chatting again.

MontanaMmmm on August 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Keeping my promise…

Please take a moment to read thru the ethanol thread and this one.
Try to catch up, people get to know each other here and take care of each other as best can be done over the internet. It was a beautiful thing to see. Catch a clue there’s other things in life sometimes.

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

That’s fine, I don’t believe that second hand smoke crap anyway.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

LOL! Well…high water would be deep water… and deep water might well be BLACK WATER! Nice tune!

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Any idea what the tread is about?

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I think it is SNAFU..In other words..Normal..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Dang, I didn’t bother answering you up thread because I thought you called it a night!

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Good Lord! I already hate these new headphones!
They’re way too short! I keep jerking my head and pulling the jack out!
AAAaarrrrrghhhh!!!

(Exit question: Should I eat them?)

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Howdy my fellow night owls…

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

BRAVO! Round of applause for MontanaMmmm! :)

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM

TY dire..my crue dude.
Yes, try live wire or shout at the devil..makes me feel old.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Well we may not fix the world but we will have fun.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Yeah, but,….the planning! Who else will do it if not us?

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

No, give them to someone your not crazy about.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

your = you’re in this instance.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Crap,one more,night again,off to watch Hunger Games——–:)

Ryan campaigns with mom in Florida, pitches Medicare fix
12 Hours ago.
*************

THE VILLAGES, Fla. — Campaigning with his retired mother at his side, Congressman Paul Ryan made the Romney-Ryan ticket pitch for fixing Medicare Saturday morning before thousands at the world’s largest senior citizens community.

“Like a lot of Americans, when I think about Medicare it’s not just a program, it’s not just a bunch of numbers, it’s what my mom relies on, it’s what my grandma had,” Ryan said in his most detailed campaign speech yet. “Medicare was there for our family, for my grandma, when we needed it then; and Medicare is there for my mom while she needs it now, and we have to keep that guarantee.”

In a very personal appeal to the crowd that started with Ryan walking hand-and-hand with his 78-year-old mother, Betty Douglas, he promised to make sure “bureaucrats will not mess with my
mom’s healthcare or your mom’s healthcare.”

The presumptive GOP vice presidential nominee also assured the crowd at The Villages the Romney-Ryan plan will not affect those already in retirement.

“Our solution to preserve, protect, and save Medicare does not affect your benefits. Let me repeat that. Our plan does not affect the benefits for people who are in or near retirement. It’s a promise that was made and it’s a promise that must be kept,” he said, with a large “protect & strengthen Medicare” sign behind him. “To save it for this generation, you have to reform it for my generation so it doesn’t go bankrupt when we retire.”

The Chairman of the House Budget Committee, speaking

in the state with the highest concentration of voters over 65 in the country,

had harsh words for President Barack Obama, as well.
*****************************************************
(More…)

3-Videos
==========

canopfor on August 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

So start planning.

AYNBLAND on August 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

God I hope so!!

I was alittle worried when I saw the Rasmussen daily tracking poll put Obummer up by 2 — since Rasmussen is one of the few polls I trust as it doesn’t way oversample Dems.

Then I saw that Romney finally has taken a lead in Fla by 2, is up in WI by 1 and is dead even in Ohio.

So that made me feel a bit better… even though ROmney should be way ahead!

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

So start planning.

AYNBLAND on August 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Please tell me you’re not one of those folks who has put everything off until the last second. My plan has been in place for quite sometime, 77 , 78 to be precise. It has worked quite well for me. I plan to continue along with it.

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

In keeping with Dire’s pick… Highway Song- Blackfoot

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Are you ure the water is not this color??..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Was going to send you friendly salutations, then the STUPID HEADPHONE CORD POPPED OUT OF THE JACK YET AGAIN!!!!~!eLEVENTY!! i’M OBVIOUSLY GONNA HAVE TO FIX THIS G___D___ CRAP!!!

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Pretty muh..Talk! Talk!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Yes, try live wire or shout at the devil..makes me feel old.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

LoLz..Tell me about it!.:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Well we may not fix the world but we will have fun.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Yes we will. ; )

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

No. Take them back! We’d hate to see you get indigestion! :)

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

That’s fine, I don’t believe that second hand smoke crap anyway.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM

LOL..cool your in my group. Sweet.! Flora too..she is feisty..lol

applause for MontanaMmmm! :)

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Yep, the world is cold enough..the net.ice.
Occasionally, I am proud to be associated here. :)
A hellava good crowd.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Excellent tune!..Two thumbs up!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

New York Jets offense sucks.

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Good evening!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Pretty muh..Talk! Talk!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Lol! Man it feels good to laugh a bit. I was in a heavy mood there for a while.

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

OH – Well, please allow JOE BIDEN to RETORT!!:

williamg on August 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

You need headphones to send salutations? Do you have one of those talk to text programs?

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

even though ROmney should be way ahead!

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

With 50% of country getting a gov check..I don’t see that happening..:)

PS..imho..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Did they play tonight? We forgot the Redskins were on tonight. Their quarterback Kirk had a good night.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

OH – Well, please allow JOE BIDEN to RETORT!!:

Are you copying Jules from Pulp Fiction with “please allow to RETORT?” line?

My favorite movie of all time!

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Damn B..I was 5. I have to catch up here.

I love people that drop in and complain. You that miserable?

Take a clue from Jimmy B..if we didn’t laugh we would all go insane.
Cheers**

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

With 50% of country getting a gov check..I don’t see that happening..:)

PS..imho..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I hear ya but you’d think at least some of them would have a shred of decency and some guilt for living off the backs of those who actually work for a living!

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

lolz..time moves quick eh?
Like yesterday for me..what happened?
This getting old stuff sucks..I will protest. ;)

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

No. Take them back! We’d hate to see you get indigestion! :)

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Lol! I’m a moose. I could eat my entire computer and survive. (Thanks, though, for your concern!)

Good evening!..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Heya Dire. Keeping my head still like I’m stupid!

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Lol. No. I like to listen to music REALLY REALLY LOUD!!!! ELEVENTY!!!!!11!! That’s what the headphones are for!

Huh? What?!?

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Yeah, they played the New York Giants. Neither Sanchez or Tebow had a night to brag about. Redskins, quarterback..Kirk? You mean RBG3?

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

The Seniors are going to be the key!..That is the reason Obie and the Dems are trying to scare them to death..:(

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Movie=boring, decided to check back in and lurk, but couldn’t resist keeping my promise.

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I Drink Alone

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

In general it’s hard to look much into anything for preseason…

but I do think the Jets shot themselves in the foot bringing Tebow in, no way they avoid a QB contorversy that rips apart the team.

Cindy is talking about Kirk Cousins from Michigan state, they took him a few rounds after Griffin.

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

No, it’s Kirk Cousins, apparently they call him Capt. Kirk as a joke.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen you end a post without a..:)

I think most seniors, especially in FLA will be smart enough to realize that it’s obama who’s stealing from Medicare and that if we do nothing it’ll be broke within a decade.

I mean Rubio ran on entitlement reform in Fla and won big..:)

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

OT question: Is it possible for a citizen to sue Barack Husein Obama for his failure to uphold the Constitution of the US?? Just curious.

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

O.K., now I know. He isn’t bad. Took us apart last fall without breaking a sweat.

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

For Our Pal, Fred

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

This getting old stuff sucks..I will protest. ;)

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I’m with you all the way..Kicking and screaming..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Speaking as someone who qualifies as a senior at a few stores, we aren’t as stupid as the Democrats would like to believe we are. Of course, almost no one could be that stupid but you know what I mean.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

*Cheers!* my dear. ; )

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I agree Dire.

Medicare..they were forced to pay into (as I am in taxes)..it aint going away. 10,000 people a day turn 65 right now-source CMS. Reality. It was robbed for Obiecare..Time for reform. Actually, like everything else..past time. They wait until something is so infected..it oozes out of the band aides they slapped on it for years. You can hide it..the infection still is there.
SS, Immigration, Med Care..we could go on.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I think the government has to give you permission to sue them and when you look at it, you are just suing yourself. You know that even if you won, it wouldn’t come out of that azzhat’s pocket.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

*Cheers!* my dear. ; )

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Ditto Cheers..I toasted so hard..broke your glass…lol

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Steal Your Heart Away

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

LevinFan on August 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Let’s hope so!..The Seniors are the key and they are fixing to get bombarded by the Dems with scare ads..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM

It is better loud isn’t it?

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

b, you never upset me. ; ) you always put a smile on my face. xo

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Me thinks,the Right Choice!!

•August 17, 2012, 6:49 p.m. ET
If Only They Had Listened
**************************

Ryan was a voice for Fannie Mae reform while Obama opposed it
*************************************************************

On July 27, 2000, a first-term Congressman from Wisconsin signed his name to the Housing Finance Regulatory Improvement Act.

The 30-year-old legislator didn’t have much company.
****************************************************

Of 435 Members of the House,
****************************

only 12 were willing to join Paul Ryan in sponsoring a bill to reduce the taxpayer risks at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
********************************************************

Eight years later to the day, a federal bailout of the two mortgage giants was on its way to the desk of President George W. Bush. Almost $190 billion in taxpayer financing later, the toxic twins of the housing crisis maintain their massive role in mortgage finance.

On Friday, the U.S. Treasury said it is relieving the two government-sponsored enterprises of the requirement to pay regular dividends to taxpayers. Instead, the toxic twins will simply pass to the feds any profits they make. Fan and Fred’s investment portfolios will also have to shrink more quickly, which is very good. But the deal suggests that they will continue to slap taxpayer-backed guarantees on mortgage bonds forever, or until there’s a reformer in the White House.

If only there had been a few more reformers on Capitol Hill in 2000. Fan and Fred and their army of “affordable housing” lobbyists saw to it that the plan backed by Mr. Ryan never made the House floor. The bill would have limited the assets the toxic twins could hold, increased their capital, added new federal oversight, and removed their credit lines at Treasury.

“In order to maintain double-digit growth,” noted Mr. Ryan at a 2000 Congressional hearing, “Fannie Mae will have to take on more and more risk” in order to “increase profitability to shareholders.” He added, “This is not a mission of public policy.”

As the government-fueled housing party heated up, Mr. Ryan continued to warn that many of Fan and Fred’s profit-making activities carried little benefit for homeowners. In 2002, he sponsored a bill to remove the exemptions Fan and Fred enjoyed from the disclosure requirements in federal securities laws.

Mr. Ryan continued his sometimes lonely effort to reform the mortgage giants, for which he endured their usual political wrath. In 2008 he told us that Fannie once called every mortgage holder in his district, claiming falsely that Mr. Ryan wanted to raise the cost of their mortgage and asking if Fannie could tell the Congressman to stop on their behalf. He received some 6,000 telegrams. (See “The Fannie Mae Gang,” July 23, 2008.)

Mr. Ryan’s embrace of reform in his first term in Congress compares favorably to the efforts of a freshman Senator from Illinois in 2005. President Obama likes to pretend he was a warning voice in the wilderness because he later issued vague statements of displeasure once the housing market was already cracking.

What Mr. Obama doesn’t say
**************************

is that he failed to support any of the serious reform efforts to reduce the role of Fannie and Freddie in the mortgage market.
*************************************************************

The same is true of old Senate hand Joe Biden.
**********************************************

Mitt Romney was never a Washington politician,

so he can’t be blamed for the legislative failures of the 2000s.
****************************************************************

This history bears further study,
*********************************

as Mr. Obama repeatedly attempts to tie the GOP candidates to Washington’s policy mistakes leading up to the financial crisis.

In Iowa this week, the President said that

Messrs. Romney and Ryan are proposing the same economic policies “that got us into this mess in the first place.”
************************************************

The truth is
************

that the President who loves to talk about the “mess” he “inherited”
************

did nothing to prevent it when he had the chance.
*************************************************

In contrast, his opponent’s new running mate was an early voice for reforms that might have helped America avoid it.
====================================================

canopfor on August 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM

What movie? Had to suck to come back here..lol
Except when Sparkplug comments.. :) I would pay $1.00 for an evening of sparkisms.. lmao.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Obama gutting Medicare to pay for a new young voter block and unleashing the IPAB to send people off hard and quick is as scary as it gets.

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Ditto Cheers..I toasted so hard..broke your glass…lol

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Lol!

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I know this and I agree with you..But it will not stop the Dems from trying to scare the Seniors..That is the only card the Dems know how to play..:(

PS..I hope you are right..:)

PSS..Great to see you!..:):)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

It is better loud isn’t it?

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

My motto. :) My steak better moo and my music has to be loud..

My new PC and headphones arent cutting it. :(

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

You know that even if you won, it wouldn’t come out of that azzhat’s pocket.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Lol. You are right on all counts, Cindy!
Chicken fat on hand and fingers–can’t compromise communicaticion..OVER!@

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Good point! This is where Romney and Ryan HAVE to attack and make the case for themselves..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

No, it’s Kirk Cousins, apparently they call him Capt. Kirk as a joke.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM

…Michigan State’s quarterback, and the last couple of years pulled out some last minute wins. A very good kid…he is nice like Tebow…but can throw!

KOOLAID2 on August 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM

RedCrow on August 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Sorry but no, it’s the purview of Congress (the House) to call into account the actions of the President, via the impeachment process.

And even then, it will only involve ‘high crimes and misdemeanors’… taking an approach of ‘non-compliance’ with the oath of office would be very problematic.

It would far more productive to prosecute an office-holder on criminal misdeeds… corruption, abuse of office, etc.
———————————————————————-
But, if it’ll make you feel any better, here’s my nomination for Sunday’s QOTD…

Yes friends, they’re saying, “…we meant to do that.”

CPT. Charles on August 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Many of us were also born in the late thirties and early forties…..and because of our parents’ experience with the real Depression, are a lot more conservative than many of the younger set believe. My dad was a farmer who started farming in 1932 and hated FDR with a white hot heat. Many of us grew up understanding more about national economics and government interference in free markets than present politicans believe.

a capella on August 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Leave My Little Girl Alone

thatsafactjack on August 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

What’s up? My brain is turning to mush, as I have been writing a research paper, so forgive me if my grammatical execution is a bit frayed.

uncommon sense on August 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Bazil, how are you my fun in the sun friend?

uncommon sense on August 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

What movie? Had to suck to come back here..lol
bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

One can only take soooo much of children’s movies, I don’t even know what it was called frankly, plus the basement was getting chilly.

Speaking of since we’ve been cleared for chit chat I wanted to relay a good way of working off steam.

Any one with a WII - there is a game called Go Vacation where you can make characters…. and compete in different sports and leisure activity… Anyway, we made characters for Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.
If you swing your arms just right in the boxing game, knock out in the first round. It’s a great stress relief and tons o’ fun.

MontanaMmmm on August 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

uncommon sense on August 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Just watch out for my nemesis..Basil. She like correct grammar.

I nerve had to

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yes friends, they’re saying, “…we meant to do that.”

CPT. Charles on August 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I guess we have to give them props for being consistent. Constant crap but still, consistent constant crap. Nicest way I could think of saying what I was really thinking. ; )

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I is dumb..nah stupad.

bazil9 on August 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bmore on August 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

B! how are you my friend? What is the preference for tuneage tonight?

uncommon sense on August 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM