Video: Kira Davis’ open letter to MSNBC’s Toure

posted at 12:41 pm on August 17, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

After Toure’s assertion that Joe Biden’s “chains” comment was not racial but Mitt Romney’s criticism of it and the tone of the Obama/Biden team somehow was, I was by turns annoyed at the hypocrisy, outraged at the crudity in which it was expressed, and saddened by the unrelenting desire of a portion of the commentariat on the Left to smear anyone who opposes Barack Obama and his policies as racists and haters.  I’m glad that Allahpundit wrote the excellent post, rather than me; I needed more time to approach the issue rationally, and frankly to pray about it and for our nation.

Later yesterday evening, I saw this video from young African-American conservative Kira Davis posted by Duane Lester, and earlier this morning by Jim Treacher.  Kira harshly rebukes Toure for smearing Romney, but her entire missive has food for thought for everyone:

I read your comments about Mitt Romney today and they made me sick to my stomach, and very angry. You accuse Romney of “niggerizing” Obama. There is so much wrong with that statement, I hardly know where to begin. You see, that word…nigger….it means something. It means something very real to people like me who actually have intimate, firsthand knowledge of how it can be applied. I resent that you would use that so easily (though you claim it wasn’t ‘easy’, I don’t believe you). You used that term to get some press. Great. Mission accomplished. But in the process you have watered down a term of hate with deep historical significance by applying it where it most certainly does not fit.

But that doesn’t mean that racism doesn’t exist, either. Kira has experienced it, which is why she’s angry that commentators like Toure minimize its “horror” by conflating disagreement with actual hate:

Toure, I’ve seen hate up close. I know what it looks like. I’ve felt it’s hands on my skin, seen the look in its eyes, felt the burn of its words. It is deliberate and it is real. Racism is not disliing our black President because of his socialist leanings. Racism is the scar I carried near my lip for decades after one particularly harsh punch in the mouth from a kid screaming “NIGGER!” at me while swinging away. Racism is that guy in the diner, the hoses and dogs turned on folks from my grandparent’s generation just looking to drink at a decent water fountain. When you accuse a person of racism, THAT is the legacy of hate you are laying at their feet. It’s every bit as heinous as accusing someone of being a child molester arbitrarily. When you accuse Mitt Romney and other conservatives like me of being racist based on no other proof besides the fact that we vehemently disagree with this President and his policies, you dilute the history and experiences of people like me. You cheapen that word – nigger. You rob it of it’s true horror – a horror we should never forget or take for granted.Not only that, Toure; but you cheapen yourself. You make it clear to blacks like me that you, indeed have no clue in hell what real racism is or where it can be found.

Accusing Mitt Romney of the “niggerization” of Obama is ugly, base, cheap and just plain wrong. You owe him and people like an apology. You seem like an intelligent guy. If you disagree with Mitt Romney and me, do so on the merits of the issues at hand. Don’t prostitute yourself on a network that it more way more white (percentage-wise) than the Republican party. It’s a song and dance eerily similar the minstrel shows of the past. You and I know full well the execs at MSNBC laugh and applaud and sign your paycheck every time you put on your tap shoes. Don’t like that reference? Hey, as you said so yourself, Im just using the same old race-baiting playbook you and the Democrats have been using for decades.

You should be embarrassed.

I mention this because too often we forget that real racism still exists.  There are actual virulent racists who make life hell for people like Kira, not because they disagree with her political point of view, but because they actually hate her for the color of her skin.  Unfortunately, few people who sin in this fashion can be transformed through blaming politicians for arguing over legitimate policy differences.  We can — and we have been, imperfectly at times — remove racism from government policy and enforcement, but passing laws will not change the hearts of those who hate.  It just keeps them from using the power of government as a vehicle for putting their hate into action.

Keep that in mind when applauding Kira for her pushback against Toure.  There are more lessons to learn from Kira than just that MSNBC hired a hack.

Speaking of which, Dana Milbank takes Human Rights Campaign and the Southern Poverty Law Center to task for doing exactly what Toure did — equating political disagreement with hatred, and cheapening the latter to score a few bogus points for their own political point of view:

I disagree with the Family Research Council’s views on gays and lesbians. But it’s absurd to put the group, as the law center does, in the same category as Aryan Nations, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Stormfront and the Westboro Baptist Church. The center says the FRC “often makes false claims about the LGBT community based on discredited research and junk science.” Exhibit A in its dossier is a quote by an FRC official from 1999 (!) saying that “gaining access to children has been a long-term goal of the homosexual movement.”

Offensive, certainly. But in the same category as the KKK?

Since the shooting, conservatives have complained that the media have played down the story. This probably has less to do with bias than with the fact that nobody was killed. Still, there is something to the complaint.

Milbank uses the “pox upon both their houses” to a large extent in this column, but he’s right on the core of his argument.  Organizations like SPLC and HRC have gone from the legitimate warning of actual hate groups that represent potential for danger and violence to claiming everyone who disagrees with their point of view belong in the same category as the Aryan Nation.  It goes beyond “absurd,” and does real damage to efforts to those who want to end actual hatred.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tourettes is an even bigger clown then DWS. I have a really hard time taking him seriously on anything.

NotCoach on August 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I try not to concern myself with the hypocrisy, lies and pandering of a Commie effeminate.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I think I’m in love.

CurtZHP on August 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I mention this because too often we forget that real racism still exists.

One need look no farther than the Obama campaign.

catmman on August 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The woman of my dreams…

Aizen on August 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Pearls before swine, those intended for the message will trample upon it and snort in derisive laughter.

Skwor on August 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Its MSNBS… do you really expect any better from these people ?

FlaMurph on August 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The SPLC itself has become a “hate group”.

Wonder if they’ll list themselves?

GarandFan on August 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Skwor on August 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

And retort with classics like … Uncle TomasinaHouse Nig&%r.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

She’s being racist about herself!!!

mankai on August 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Ms. Davis rocks.

darwin on August 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I blame Allen West. He made the “race card” sexy again.

StoneKrab on August 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Amazing. What a great video. Share this with your friends.

rlyle on August 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Kira, thank you for your article. It is just horrible you or we have to deal with people like toure still today here in the US. I blame bho/team for keeping various races/groups/wealth in the front to divide our nation. IT stinks! Our nation had a wonderful chance to have a black president that would help not harm our nation, but alas, it was/is not to be under bho!
L

letget on August 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

While I agree with Kira Davis in her criticism of Toure, I would point out that nowhere in this article does it mention the fact that groups like the New Black Panthers also exist. Toure leans very close, in the essence of that which he tries so desperately to project, to some of the hate-filled racist rhetoric that comes from that organization. He simply seeks more subtle, means, encouraged and condoned not only by his bosses at MSNBC, but also by many in academia who should know better, to project it. Racism is not specific to ANY race. Sadly, it exists across the spectrum of humanity.

thatsafactjack on August 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

..pretty eloquent tome from a very brave, sensible young lady.

The War Planner on August 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I disagree with the Family Research Council’s views on gays and lesbians. But it’s absurd to put the group, as the law center does, in the same category as Aryan Nations, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Stormfront and the Westboro Baptist Church. The center says the FRC “often makes false claims about the LGBT community based on discredited research and junk science.” Exhibit A in its dossier is a quote by an FRC official from 1999 (!) saying that “gaining access to children has been a long-term goal of the homosexual movement.”

Offensive, certainly. But in the same category as the KKK?

I don’t know if I would’ve even taken that as an example of Dan Milbank taking much of anything to task. That was the bone he threw in the spirit of being unbiased. The rest of the article used that little nugget of fairness as an excuse to keep pushing the meme that the majority of political violence is on the right and that the left shouldn’t stoop to such measures.

mintycrys on August 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Anyone who can look at this beautiful young lady, and the first thought in their head is “n****r”, is pitiful. Literally, I pity the fools.

But she says this happened in Canada. I thought the Left was always telling us how great Canada is, what with “free” health care and tough gun control and stuff.

The Monster on August 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Kira Davis is awesome!

EL on August 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The SPLC itself has become a “hate group”.

Wonder if they’ll list themselves?

GarandFan on August 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Nope, because they’re left-wing.

Someone from another site, The Gateway Pundit IIRC, tried to press them on listing Occupy as one over the Occupy Cleveland organizers who got busted for conspiracy and, after being shunted around numerous times, finally got them to admit they only pay attention to anything they percieve as right-wing.

teke184 on August 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

This thread wil draw in libfreeordie like a magnet. Won’t be able to resist calling Kira an Oreo.

a capella on August 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I blame Allen West. He made the “race card” sexy again.

StoneKrab on August 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Your comments are descending into the absurd.

hawkdriver on August 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Toure is a clown.

John the Libertarian on August 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I share your frustration, Ed. The race card was one of the most maddening aspects of the ’08 race, and now they’re pulling it again. It’s a disgrace.

changer1701 on August 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You go, girl!!

CrazyGene on August 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Milbank is full of BS when he states ther was no bias in the reporting. There were no deaths as I recall in the Giffords shooting but the left wing media was all over it. It is clear that the leftist media will not shine a light on the hate of the left-which is prevalent.

Ta111 on August 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Keep that in mind when applauding Kira for her pushback against Toure. There are more lessons to learn from Kira than just that MSNBC hired a hack.

Ed, we all know what hate looks like. We aren’t OWS thugs who never grew up. Wile I am sick and tired and having race injected into every single aspect of our lives, I am not blind to the fact that hateful people exist in this world. I don’t think it is necessary to lecture us on the realities of human nature. Most of us at Hot Gas would stand up for Ms. Davis if we witnessed such hate used against her.

So instead of the lecturing let’s remain focused on real racism when it is before us. Tourettes has demonstrated that he is a real racist time and again. No man so obsessed with race is not. Those who make a career out of race are admitting to the rest of us they hate those not of possessing their particular skin pigmentation. Tourettes is the one who needs to be lectured too.

NotCoach on August 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Odd, that you didn’t point the finger at the real racist … the one who hates Conservatives … especially the black ones … and its name is … apparently … Toure.

I get tired of the presumption that only white people are racist.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

NotCoach on August 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Bingo. Glad you said it, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ta111 on August 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Six people were murdered by Loughner that day.

NotCoach on August 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Kira Davis is awesome!

EL on August 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Yes, she is. What a courageous young lady.

Unfortunately, she will now experience the hatred and racism of the oh-so-tolerant Left.

Stand strong, Kira.

GrannyDee on August 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

If only MSNBC had two or three more viewers than the 6o or so have now,, they along with a few new ones,, hell they could destroy the commie Democrats alone and save the U.S.A. on the fool who ruins General Electic Company’s dime.

But they are just to sorry a lot to do the job, we will have to vote the commie Democrats into the dust heap of History over the next 20 years or so.

It is what it is,,, work.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Libfreeonthesweatofothers-

You should be embarrassed.

CW on August 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Wow! The future of this country is still possible. Cheers Kira Davis!

d1carter on August 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I think I’m in love.

CurtZHP on August 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

No kidding, right? Beautiful, intelligent, articulate, and on the right side of the issue.

The Rogue Tomato on August 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

“She’s not as clean and articulate as other negr0s I know.”

-Jumpin’ Joe

Bishop on August 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Stand strong, Kira.

GrannyDee on August 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

She’ll be fine. She’s been challenging the status quo for a while.

CW on August 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Davis makes a great case for how calling out racism when it is inappropriate trivializes language which should be reserved for those situations where hate and fear are truly present.

STL_Vet on August 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I can’t get worked up about being accused of racism by a guy who looks like he’s 13.

His skin color doesn’t trump my decades of common sense.

blue13326 on August 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Race card ends next Thurs Aug 23rd. It will then be Mitt the Mormon Cult Leader as Brian Williams and the crew at Rock Center brings you a 1hr special on Mormonism in America.

hillsoftx on August 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

It took great courage for this young woman to come forward and speak her mind, MSNBC and Toure should be ashamed of themselves for once again pandering…

We all know that isn’t gonna happen… No apology will come forth.

I am sickened to my heart to think that the Left still decries and uses the “Racism” card…

It is time for the Republican Party to take a stand against this blatant and foul demagogery against good and decent people everywhere.

I am equally appalled when the Left attempts to ‘colour’ people like Herman Cain or Allen West or anyone in the R Party as an “oreo”
they (the Left) are nothing but schoolyard bullies hoping to entice the weak minded to their clique…

It IS ALL about the political issues, Obama should be ashamed of himself for bringing this country so low, that this has become the ‘norm’ for this campaign…

It’s the Issues man!!

I would applaud the day when the Left actually uses reason…

Won’t happen, their tank is empty, the R card is all they have left.

Such a shame that one of 2 major political parties has to resort to this kind of behaviour to try and garner votes…

Scrumpy on August 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

thatsafactjack on August 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No disrespect to Ms Davis or anyone else, but that sad reality is that the idea that if you are black it is absolutely and utterly impossible for you to be a racist is carved in stone in the African-American community.

SWalker on August 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Thank you Kira. We can disagree politically without pulling out the race card.

Ward Cleaver on August 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Anecdotal S. Vt. evidence:

Many around me, family, friends, folks in general
are die hard libs. Genuine libs. Some back to FDR.

They are livid.

6 (or is it 8?) wars, Guantanamo, TSA, drones, economic disaster,
prosecuting whistleblowers, Corzine walks away.

Mention any one of these to happily witness the
red face and clenched jaw.
Try it, you will like it!

They are Not feeling the Hopeychange.

PaleoRider on August 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Toure … isn’t he a college dropout?
Does NBC really hire dropouts as pundits and talking heads?
But I have to admit, getting a PAYING gig LARPing “The Boondocks” is impressive … I wonder how much longer it will last …

Arbalest on August 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

“But Paul Ryan’s family got rich from crony capitalism! A Salon blogger told me so!”

libfreeordie

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

maybe Reince can give her a few mins in Tampa….

hillsoftx on August 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Wow! What a powerful “letter”. And, Kira Davis, what a classy young woman. She has more integrity in her pinky finger than does this Toure piece of garbage in his whole being.

This video needs to be posted on every thread Hot Air has from here on out dealing with race bating, race pimping, and the like, as a reminder that there are real people who are hurt when the race card is played so thoughtlessly.

TXUS on August 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM

These relentless charges of racism may backfire come Nov. 6.

I suspect many independents and moderates who voted for Post-Racial Happy-Face Hope’N Change in 2008 are getting sick of them.

farsighted on August 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Well, she is clean and articulate.

/Biden

mankai on August 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Kira Davis rocks! May God bless her abundantly.

22044 on August 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

THANK YOU Kira, you speak for a lot of people and I do really mean a lot. Toure’ speaks for MSNBC and the liberals, which are few. MSNBC’s numbers have been in the tank for a long time and yet, they keep allowing filth like this to be spewed. It is hateful, it serves no purpose and it is disgusting and spiteful of them to allow it or even think and utter it for the sould purpose to incite and infalme.
Kira, you said what people would love to say, but just cannot find the words to say.Toure’ is one and the ED show is another and just look at what ED accomplished in Wisconsin. Thank you ED, you proved people have no time for ilks like you.
The word and the reference Toure’ used is never utterred in my house and would not be tolerated in my surroundings and it should not be tolerated by a national network. It has and it serves no useful purpose other than to inflame and incite. MSNBC need to apoligize for not bleeping it out and they need to consider the lack of talent they put out there. Disgraceful.

j bo on August 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

The fact that the Left can and does change the ‘meme’ on a daily basis, can’t the Right do the same?

…the idea that if you are black it is absolutely and utterly impossible for you to be a racist is carved in stone in the African-American community. SWalker on August 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

You are so right, so, how does one go about changing that? Can it be changed?

Whilst there are people like Sharpton et al out there espousing this damaging tone, nothing will change I guess.

We could do it through Education? Just as the liberal left has ‘hijacked’ the educational system, could the Right not do the same?

I know, I am an impossible ‘dreamer’… no harm in thinking ‘out loud’ right?!!

Scrumpy on August 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I think I’m in love.

CurtZHP on August 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I want to marry her.

But wait, I’m already married and I want to propose the Liz Cheney too. This isn’t going to work is it.

JellyToast on August 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I think it’s about time for Republicans to start calling the Democrats and their leadership to task. It’s about time to call the Congressional black caucus to task and to start setting the record straight. Mitt Romney marched for civil rights, Mitt Romney has never displayed racists tendencies, Mitt Romney, is a man of character and honesty, that’s Mitt Romney. If, in the zeal to elect Barach Obama, they must lie about someone like Mitt Romney, they’re just wrong. If they call tell the truth about MItt Romney, and get Barack Obama elected, so be it. If they have to lie they should be ashamed of themselves.

As far as Toure is concerned, the word moron comes to mind.

bflat879 on August 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

#CallHimNeblettFTW

Valkyriepundit on August 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

To ask so little of the first half-black president is the ultimate form of racism.

The leftists, media too, most all, display it around the clock.

MLK cries in his grave.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM

What a powerful video.

I got choked up when Kira said that she was called a N nearly every day of early life. How horribly, horribly sad.

God bless you Kira – thank you for opening my eyes.

Hill60 on August 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Wow. That was the second most thorough take-down of an idiot that I’ve seen this week, the first being Jenna Marbles Some Idiot/How Sports Bras Work youtube. You’d still have to hand the win to Ms. Davis though, as she gets bonus points for her marvelous composure and dignified restraint in the face of more emotionally provocative material.. and by not dropping the f-bomb.

Murf76 on August 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Anecdotal S. Vt. evidence:

Many around me, family, friends, folks in general
are die hard libs. Genuine libs. Some back to FDR.

They are livid.

6 (or is it 8?) wars, Guantanamo, TSA, drones, economic disaster,
prosecuting whistleblowers, Corzine walks away.

Mention any one of these to happily witness the
red face and clenched jaw.
Try it, you will like it!

They are Not feeling the Hopeychange.

PaleoRider on August 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

A few days ago on Power Line, there was a link to an article noting the breathtaking hypocrisy of the current crop of “historians” (all of whom are of course Democrats) over the past 4 years. These were the same “historians” who cried nonstop for 8 years about the Evil Bush being a warmonger, depriving people of their human rights, torturing prisoners, etc.

None of these “historians”, not one, has expressed any concern over O’bama having continued many of those very same “Evil” Bush policies.

And no doubt when O’bama loses, they’ll be the first to claim that Racism cost him the election, not any of his Socialist policies.

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

It is sort of fun in a mean way to play with these race based commies of the Democrat party.

Back some years ago as I was doing the infiltrate thing into Greenpeace and Earth First… all of them once they found out of
my 1/2 Apache condition they “ass you and me’d” instant that I would be a lib. nut job too due to the “dark skinned condition”,, so you must be a person who uses race to your advantage as we Earth First, Greenpeace and commie Democrats all do.

Made it a breeze to get inside and then rat out their punk ass’s.

Works even better with the anti-war type commie Democrats.
and
The CO2 crowd are even an worse bunch, they never check me out,
just go with “its how we will get control of the people”, the ends justifies the means.

got to love that they are so predictable

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM

It’s hard to imagine that kind of thing was still going on in the 80′s. Although we did encounter some snark from some octogenarians on a school field trip once. I think they were expecting separate bathrooms. If you can be that creepy to a child, you aren’t worth knowing.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I guess drones are swell, it’s not real people killing real people.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Nicely done, Ms. Davis.

mr.blacksheep on August 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I want to marry her.

JellyToast on August 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I’m even more conflicted, because I’m also ga-ga over the girl in the triple-facepalm screencap (the one with the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot look on her face). It’s her eyes. They melt me.

CurtZHP on August 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Ta111 on August 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I’m not sure which news outlets you were paying attention to, but I’m also fairly sure that there were deaths from the Gifford shooting, one an eight year old girl. I appreciate that you want to advance a conservative point of view, but it does us no good if you don’t have the facts at hand when you do. Liberals don’t let facts get in the way of their narrative, but that doesn’t excuse conservatives from getting the story right.

College Prof on August 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Dang, she needs to be cloned. What a awesome young woman.

wsucoug on August 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Sorry, but I’m confused. Do white conservatives now want black people to emphasize their position as historical victims? Please advise.

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Toure … isn’t he a college dropout?

Arbalest on August 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Yes, he is. He dropped out of Emory, where Newt also went.

But because he’s a Leftist, he was then allowed to join Columbia University’s Graduate creative writing program, for a full year. If we could all get such Special Treatment!

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I want to marry her.

JellyToast on August 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Hey buddy! Haven’t you heard? Marriage Equality is the new “in” thing!

Mitoch55 on August 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Sorry, but I’m confused.

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

We know, because you prove it here on Hot Gas on a daily basis.

A+++

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

That’s what happens now that we’re living in a nation of citizens that seek out and worship victim status.

ButterflyDragon on August 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Please advise.

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I think only God is capable of penetrating such density, so I’ll pass.

NotCoach on August 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Toure has gone viral…..and he looks the fool. Shark Jumped. While conservatives ridiculed him, one little girl destroyed him.

pat on August 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Ed, Have you thought about inviting Kira Davis into the Green Room?

meci on August 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Offensive, certainly. But in the same category as the KKK?

“Certainly”? Really? We’re just imagining all the children’s books and primary school curriculum outrages?

bofh on August 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

She made is clear in the beginning that she’s not a victim.

You sure are confused. Be happy.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

You are quite confused. Conservatives want to get beyond the white/black/yellow/whatever conversation.

The conversation is supposed to be about PEOPLE. Period. No descriptors needed. Just people.

The problem with being able to focus on just people and not a specific demographic is because the left loves to point out every difference and use it as an excuse to start an argument. Knowing that by doing so they get the “victims” in their pocket.

ButterflyDragon on August 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Progs don’t want a colorblind society; they want a color-coded society.

BuckeyeSam on August 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Embarrassment is not an emotion that liberals have. To be embarrassed, one has to have the capacity to understand that one’s actions were inappropriate. Liberals lack this capacity. Inside the head of a liberal is a little voice that tells them that they are never wrong, they can’t ever misspeak and they can’t ever make mistakes because their every utterance is a manifestation of their self-defined “truth” which is usually based on what they “feel.” Not content to stop there, they also believe that is is their duty to point out — in any way necessary — how anyone who dares believe or think differently than they do is morally bankrupt, corrupt, evil, racist, bigoted or intolerant (pick one or all).

natasha333 on August 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

You go girl!

Scrappy on August 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Nope. We simply recognize that some of them are contemporary victims of racism. And we realize that every time someone like Toure shrikes about dog whistles and coded language, it downplays the real life, honest-to-goodness racism that still sadly exists in this world.

Good Solid B-Plus on August 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Kira Davis

Is she one of the new demographic of Romney/Ryan voters?

“The Swooners”?

Gals are swooning over Ryan much the same way as Toure swooned over Obama.

Romney / Ryan 2012
Swoon!

Obama / Biden 2012
Doom !

PappyD61 on August 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Allen West- Kira Davis 2012!

irishspy on August 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

plewis on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

She made is clear in the beginning that she’s not a victim.

You sure are confused. Be happy.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

You’ll have to cut the leftist a little slack. They’re all incapable of looking at people as individuals; rather, they spend all their time trying to assign them to the appropriate leftist-approved “victim” class.

right of the dial on August 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

She may as well be speaking a foreign language to them – that’s about how well they will comprehend her message.

Prepare for Toure to double down on racism stupid in the next few days.

tdpwells on August 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’m so glad I cancelled my cable. It’s been over a year now and haven’t missed it for a minute.

lea on August 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Toure is a clown.

John the Libertarian on August 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Is this the same clown that o’reiley used to invite on his show to discuss the political topic du jour, though funnily enough the dude was an an academic in some cultural (pop??) studies dept at Columbia U, I think…

jimver on August 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ed:

I know it’s an important article of faith for liberals to believe there are many such racists, that in fact it is THE social ill of our times … but it’s not. Maybe the social ill of the 1950s and 60s, but, listen, that was 50 years ago.

Ed:
young African-American conservative Kira Davis

She’s 38. You’re 49. Maybe you’re both young.

I watched the video this morning when someone linked to it in the “Toure” thread. This is a good quote from the video:

“It’s just as heinous as charging that someone is a child molester, arbitrarily”. (at 5:35)

The old social ill, racism. The new social ill, race-baiting. Liberals are fighting the last war, as people do. Race-baiting, gay-baiting, gender-baiting, Muslim-baiting, and the consequent Balkinization of the country, that’s the new social ill. I just hope Romney/Ryan win in 81 days, and help put a stop to it.

Her combination of passion and intelligence and conservatism is really appealing. I learned a lot from her video, which was humble, and from the heart.

Paul-Cincy on August 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Open letter to MSNBC, CNN, Time, and assorted other media outlets:

I would like to know if you feel any shame or regret regarding the fact that you regularly give a platform to Touré to spout his racist nonsense? Or are you proud of your association with a vile, race-baiting 9/11 Truther? Are race-baiting, use of the “N” word on TV, and peddling of crackpot 9/11 conspiracy theories reflective of your corporate policies and standards of conduct? If not, then why do you continue to give a platform to Touré? Would you be willing to give a similar, non-judgmental platform to, say, an avowed white racist and outspoken Birther conspiracy theorist? If not, why not, and what is the difference? These are simple questions.

I know, I know…

/crickets

Hayabusa on August 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Let’s also not pretend that this applies for “people like Kira”, it applies to people like, well… everyone.

Please refer back to vids from a couple of days ago from the NBP party for quite recent evidence of virulent, real, angry, and dangerous racism on display. It’s not solely the realm of white people directing it at black people.

Midas on August 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

One of the reasons I find people like Toure so offensive is because I’m old enough to remember segregation, in a part of the country where it was de rigeur for department stores and other public places to have separate restrooms and water fountains, plainly marked for whites and “coloreds”. I remember hearing friends and family make blatantly racist remarks, and I remember watching on the nightly newscasts the terrible things perpetrated against blacks when they were marching for civil rights. I also remember that those same newscasts often presented the black crowds as scary insurrectionists, even as they were being firehosed and attacked by dogs, and that was almost two decades before the black power movement got caught up in radicalism and started burning cities.

No sane human being wants to go back to those days, but people like Toure, and yes, stupid Joe Biden and his ilk, are doing their damnedest to take us back there.

RebeccaH on August 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

” You and I know full well the execs at MSNBC laugh and applaud and sign your paycheck every time you put on your tap shoes.”

Pretty much…

Seven Percent Solution on August 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I mention this because too often we forget that real racism still exists.

Yep. Even if you are white.

IrishEyes on August 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Milbank uses the “pox upon both their houses”

This is the first refuge of the Left to cover their own disgusting calumny day in and day out. I’m profoundly sick of the moral equivalence argument. No, the pox is in your house, Milbank.

And by the way, would you EVER classify an Islamist group as a “hate group.” Didn’t think so.

rrpjr on August 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Love her.

Philly on August 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Where’s Touré? MSNBC’s The Cycle Hosts Absent From Regular Tease Segment

MSNBC’s The Cycle hosts Touré and Krystal Ball were absent from a regular promotional segment that the pair does with MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts. Given the criticism that Touré drew after he made racially inflammatory comments about the Romney campaign on Thursday, his absence from Robert’s set today is sure to spark speculation.

steebo77 on August 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

“Racism” or “racist” are the most meaningless terms nowadays.

When you use them against people who are not, you seem desperate and foolish.

When used against people who are, they do not care and would only proudly agree.

StubbleSpark on August 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM