This is precisely as newsworthy, I’d say, as a Ted Nugent op-ed calling Obama a “pinko” would be if The One had admitted in an interview somewhere that “Cat Scratch Fever” is kinda catchy. I can only assume that Rolling Stone waited until last night to publish it because they knew the only way anyone could even pretend to care is if the piece broke out on a slow news Friday.

Turns out that a guy whose politics have been to the left of Occupy Wall Street for decades isn’t a Paul Ryan fan. Please tell me more, Tom Morello, especially about seizing the means of production:

Paul Ryan’s love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn’t understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn’t understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine…

I wonder what Ryan’s favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of “Fuck the Police”? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

Don’t mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta “rage” in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he’s not raging against is the privileged elite he’s groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

This is a 48-year-old man writing for a major American magazine and the best he and the editors can do in a splashy piece attacking the new GOP VP nominee is far-left cant so turgid and predictable that it would embarrass a campus newspaper. Follow the link up top and you’ll find references to the Zapatistas and — yes, really — Leonard Peltier buried within. What happened to the obligatory Mumia mention, Jann Wenner? Too edgy?

If you missed it yesterday, go read Kirsten Powers’s piece on why Ryan holds special appeal for a younger generation that’s watching the “social safety net” slowly collapse beneath them. It’s a nice counterpoint to the spectacle of an aging Marxist “rebel” stamping his feet at the evils of The Machine. As Iowahawk puts it: