Bad news from Rage Against the Machine: Paul Ryan is the machine

posted at 4:44 pm on August 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

This is precisely as newsworthy, I’d say, as a Ted Nugent op-ed calling Obama a “pinko” would be if The One had admitted in an interview somewhere that “Cat Scratch Fever” is kinda catchy. I can only assume that Rolling Stone waited until last night to publish it because they knew the only way anyone could even pretend to care is if the piece broke out on a slow news Friday.

Turns out that a guy whose politics have been to the left of Occupy Wall Street for decades isn’t a Paul Ryan fan. Please tell me more, Tom Morello, especially about seizing the means of production:

Paul Ryan’s love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn’t understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn’t understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine…

I wonder what Ryan’s favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of “Fuck the Police”? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

Don’t mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta “rage” in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he’s not raging against is the privileged elite he’s groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

This is a 48-year-old man writing for a major American magazine and the best he and the editors can do in a splashy piece attacking the new GOP VP nominee is far-left cant so turgid and predictable that it would embarrass a campus newspaper. Follow the link up top and you’ll find references to the Zapatistas and — yes, really — Leonard Peltier buried within. What happened to the obligatory Mumia mention, Jann Wenner? Too edgy?

If you missed it yesterday, go read Kirsten Powers’s piece on why Ryan holds special appeal for a younger generation that’s watching the “social safety net” slowly collapse beneath them. It’s a nice counterpoint to the spectacle of an aging Marxist “rebel” stamping his feet at the evils of The Machine. As Iowahawk puts it:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rolling Stone is the same magazine where readers voted Green Day as #1 punk band of all time… yeah right. Pretentious and completely wrong!

Mangofish26 on August 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Would guess Rush doesn’t know it (‘it’ being RATM’s political views), but he uses a clip of a RATM tune in his regular bumper music.

ahlaphus on August 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I don’t think Rush cares about that.

His theme song for the whole program has been the same for years, by The Pretenders. Ohio is the title. It is a very “progressive” song, but he likes the music, so he uses it.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Actually, he pays Chrissie Hynde to use it. She donates what he pays her to PETA.

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Mangofish26 on August 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Their recent special issue on “The 100 Best Guitarists” was also a joke, as was their “500 Greatest Albums”.

In the latter, they got albums #1 and #2 right, but after that it was all downhill.

Del Dolemonte on August 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Why waste virtual ink on these morons? The publicity is exactly what they want — maybe it’ll resurrect their dead careers.

KS Rex on August 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Glad to say that I’ve never heard a single song from this group, and only learned their name via this thread. Guess that makes me more of the Machine than Ryan.

Oh, yeah, get off my lawn!

TXUS on August 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Tom Morello used to rage against the machine. Now he’s the idiot in the machine.

Queasy on August 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I guess RATM doesn’t want to sell records to those dirty non-emo self cutting boobs that aren’t communists or anarchists.

Ah well. The way the world is, until they cut their emo selves to ribbons, there will be a market for their “music”.

Wolfmoon on August 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Rage against the machine: good music, chump lyrics.
Tools of the real machine.

Count to 10 on August 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM

He’s a one percenter….

Why can’t he live like the regular folk?

CW on August 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Rage’s music is cool but politically they are full of massive fail. Communists who are proof that “incitement to riot” shouldn’t be a crime. They do it all the times and nothing ever relly comes of it. OWS has reboosted their career.

Daikokuco on August 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Not the theme song by The Pretenders, just a little clip that he plays after coming back from commercials. Guerilla Radio is the title of the track.

ahlaphus on August 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Get on up
Stay on the scene
Get on up
Like a sex machine!
Get on up

Courtesy of JAMES BROWN

Blake on August 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

As I said in the headlines, it seems to me that if Ryan loves the music but doesn’t like the lyrics, then he does understand what they’re about. And it’s pretty clear that Christie understands Springsteen; he just doesn’t agree with Springsteen on the ways to deal with the situations that Springsteen sings about.

What kind of person thinks you have to agree with what a singer thinks in order to like what he or she sings? Probably the same kind who thinks that if they’d sat Hitler down in the 1930s and had a nice talk, all this Holocaust unpleasantness could have been avoided. (I know, Ryan’s not Hitler, but the point is that someone can understand you without being on the same planet, ideologically speaking, and some folks just don’t understand that.)

you’ll find references to the Zapatistas

…and how we should hop into the conflict there. Some folks never met a war they didn’t want others to fight (unless it’s a war begun by the right, in which case doing so is immoral).

calbear on August 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Happy TGIF to you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Happy TGIF to you Dire! Sorry for the slow reply I had to run up the street to pick up my repaired tower. Bad vid card. Got off cheap!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Paul Ryan is the machine? And all these years I thought that band was named after that feeling you get when the soda machine takes your dollar(s) and doesn’t give anything back! /

Benedict Nelson on August 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The fact that Ryan’s favorite band is Rage Against the Machine is the *only* negative thing I’ve found out about him so far.

Dark Star on August 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Bad vid card. Got off cheap!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Good deal!..:)

Dire Straits on August 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I can remember when we used to put the 8-track of Black Sabbath in the player and crank it up when we were field stripping and cleaning weapons at the armory.. sometimes on a dull daylight patrol..

That it was a viciously anti-war group didn’t matter much, we liked the beat.. and who the Hell could understand half of what they were screaming anyway..

and if Ozzy was miffed.. vexed and in general perturbed?

so much the better….

I guess these guys don’t get that we were mocking them as much as enjoying the heavy beat.

and RATM sold out from the get go….

anarchists with a corporate label contract?

really guys?

and if they were serious and not fakes.. they would have done what that fine young Catholic boy did, when he gave away all his worldly possessions.. and ended up a Saint…

Saint Francis of Assisi (born Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone; 1181/1182…. October 3, 1226)

now there was dedication.

you guys are just the casual phonies we expect..

mark81150 on August 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

ahlaphus on August 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I’m familiar with the track Guerilla Radio, and I have heard it in Rush’s rotation of bumpers.

The album GR is from is entitled The Battle of Los Angeles.

Isn’t that cute.

Rush is much more politically tolerant than his adversaries are.

Elton John played his wedding, for crying out loud.

Reminds me of that stupidity from Heart when Barracuda began appearing in Sarah Palin campaign stops in 2008. They whined and cried, threatened lawsuits.

Obama used a Brooks and Dunn song on his trail stops, and they were classy about appreciating people liking their music no matter what politics they hold. You know those guys aren’t Obama liberals.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Good deal!..:)

Dire Straits on August 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I know right, I seldom catch a break! *clink!*

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Mangofish26 on August 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

LOL!!! I did not know that. How moronic these readers are. Even in their “prime” they couldn’t be considered anything remotely Punk Rock. They’re freakin posers and were the laughing stock of the 90′s skate punk scene.

Most of these musicians with leftist views are flaming posers and hypocrites anyway. Especially Tom Mollero. This joke of a musician claims he hates the “machine” yet he’s used the “machine” to make millions selling his crappy music playing expansive instruments only possible through the production of the private capitalist economy he also claims to hate.

jawkneemusic on August 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM

mark81150 on August 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Black Sabbath is still great stuff in my opinion.

Hand of Doom, Fairies Wear Boots, Warpigs, Iron Man, Paranoid.

That created heavy metal as it is known today.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I particularly liked the way Morello referred to the “rich” as “they”. Poor dude, must be broke or something.

Sue on August 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Courtesy of one of Iowahawk’s tweets (he’s a *MUST FOLLOW* if you are on twitter)

broke and starving

kim roy on August 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Agreed.

For those unfamiliar, I first got into them listening the track at the end of “The Matrix” called “Wake Up” by Rage Against the Machine.

I also like the guitar riff in “Killing in the Name of” even though I disagree with the lyrics.

The guy knows how to play guitar and has a distinct recognizable style.

hatespam on August 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

That’s what I’m talkin bout. NIB!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Who is Tom Merello?

obsessedinga on August 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Genuine talent behind the band. Legit, respected guitar player.
Only reason band was worth a listen.
Lyricist ran out of ideas long ago,
slanted hard left to content.
Morello may be taking one for the team,
or preaching to his
triple digit cash paying consumer choir.
Fannys in the seats, so to speak.

PaleoRider on August 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Help! Help! I’m being repressed!
—– Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Dirtbag Commie waste of space.

viking01 on August 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Forgot to link it?!?! Sabbath!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The guy knows how to play guitar and has a distinct recognizable style.

hatespam on August 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM

They had some real hard hitting, high energy grooving music that I still enjoy when I hear it by accident, though I haven’t purposely played their stuff in over a decade. I catch it in a bar or during the intermission between live bands somewhere, and it’s better than a lot of things that could be playing.

The message though, it’s just straight up Lenin, Castro, Chomsky, New Black Panthers, and all that crap.

As purely a band, they were tight and furious players.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

That’s what I’m talkin bout. NIB!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Oh yeah!

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Oh yeah!

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

; )

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

So Rage Against The Machine doesn’t like Paul Ryan? Really – Who would’ve thunk that from a group of guys wearing Che Guevara shirts singing songs about Marxism.

JFS61 on August 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

these people were never punks but whingy, entitled social justice puzzies. performing in cuba for a murderous dictatorship is strictly what a-holes alone do. rich snotty a-holes. left wing muppets.

and i liked the first album-for the sound not the propaganda they were selling in the capitalist society they so so loathe and find so so oppressive that gave them so much blanking money.

chris cornell ruined himself playing for raging commie slaves. just ruined himself.

mittens on August 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

If the record store wannabes at payola Rolling Stone knew anything about punk they’d know the Ramones, Banshees, Buzzcocks and Pistols would wonder how those Hollyweird nancy boys calling themselves Green Day could even be mistaken for punk.

Putting on some tattoos, peroxide and shiny leather jackets straight off the Rodeo Drive shelf does not constitute “punk.”

“Oooh, Trey, it looks like I’ve got me a hangnail.”
“Don’t worry, Billy, I’ll get the Bactine.”

viking01 on August 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Love it! Morello is useful rube clown of the left. Is he saying that Obama supports “F_ the police”. Maybe he ought to go public with that. Besides, he needs to get on the same page as his stupid F_ friends at Occupy Oakland who last I saw, they were fighting Obama supporters last night. This guy is the biggest fool in music.

Hummer53 on August 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

mittens on August 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I agree with you, except for that last part.

Audioslave had some cool songs, I have played a couple of them at some acoustic shows the last few years.

I am the Highway

Of a racist crime
I’ve only served
Nineteen years of my time

Guilty of being white

Better:

WhatSlushfund on August 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I don’t think Rush cares about that.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Actually, it’s called My City Was Gone.

22044 on August 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

22044 on August 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

You’re right, haven’t heard it in a while.

She does say Ohio a lot though. :)

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

22044 on August 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

If I recall correctly, I think the song is about how Reaganomics destroyed her Ohio hometown, or something.

Funny that Limbaugh has opened his every hour with that riff for about 20 years.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

How can someone who graduated Harvard write such drivel.

RedRobin145 on August 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

How can someone who graduated Harvard write such drivel.

RedRobin145 on August 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

We could ask a former editor of the Harvard Law Review, our current President, except nothing he wrote at Harvard has ever been seen by anyone apparently.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

This just in on Drudge, July – record fundraising month for RNC…

jimver on August 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Addressing the comments above, I believe the Rage song Rush sometimes uses as a bumper is an anti-right-wing talk radio song. (My former housemate, a conservative Rage fan, told me that.) He uses it as a sly joke, and also a cool bumper.

As to “My City Was Gone,” he told the story about that once. He had been using it for years when Chrissie Hynde’s management told him to stop. Chrissie was not aware that they had done that. When she found out, she allowed him to keep using it. Even though she’s as lefty as it gets, her parents were big Rush fans and it made them happy to hear daughter’s song opening up the show.

Gordon Winslow on August 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Gordon Winslow on August 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Some people can separate their music, which is a business, from their ideology.

Unlike the Heart sisters, who could have kept their mouths shut and enjoyed a huge revival of their hit Barracuda when Sarah Palin was exploding on the scene in 2008, they went on TV whining and complaining about right wing this and right wing that, reproductive rights, blah blah blah. Cease and desist letter from their lawyer soon followed.

What a bunch of self righteous jerks.

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

my city was gone is a great song . hynde is known for stepping in and letting people use her music when her handlers have blocked use for whatever reason. she did the same for the band garbage and shirley manson when they quasi sampled ‘ talk of the town’.

the pretenders guitarist who tragically died young-James Honeyman-Scott- was an great guitarist who never ever gets his props. one of the best of the early punk years.

mittens on August 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Rage Against The Machine…as my daughter introduced me to them, and others, it’s just, “angry white boy music”.

Heck, I go way back and LOVE some industrial metal old school by:Ministry.

-New World Order
-Jesus Built My HotRod
-Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs

These guys make Metallica look like choir boys.

Ryan is the real deal and this kind of music means nothing.
I still love my Count Basie and Sinatra at the Sands besides by beautiful ballroom dance music!

Vive la differance! It helps keep you young and not always looking back in sadness, to that one decade of our youth, that was rockin it.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Brian1972 on August 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Looks like it ended up being a win for all sides – nobody hears that song without associating it with Limbaugh (I think it helps his brand), and Hynde raises some money for PETA.

22044 on August 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Morello then ranted about the good of Communism for benefit of the little man before hopping into his limo and heading back to the dacha.

/S

viking01 on August 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM

-Jesus Built My HotRod
Typicalwhitewoman

ahh the good old days when we used to fit that into a dj set… “Stigmata” is the freakin bomb though- as a friend used to say- like getting a metal fist of sound in your face:

i miss dancing to the classics.

and feel old.

mittens on August 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I knew that Allah couldn’t resist posting this… As I mentioned in the headline, RATM still thinks they’re hip, countercultural, and relevant, but the only people who probably still like them are in their 30s and 40s. Do you think that many high schoolers know who RATM are? In fact, Ryan probably is more popular with the kiddies than the aging rock band. Also, do you think that there are going to be many faux socialists purchasing overpriced tees now that Rage has been outed as Ryan’s favorite band.

Illinidiva on August 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

A millionaire liberal 1% hypocrite whining about a man with a plan to save Medicare?

Shocka.

dthorny on August 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I’m fairly sure Honeyman-Scott (and probably the original bassist, too) was pushing up daisies by the time “My City Was Gone” was recorded, but a good riff nonetheless.

viking01 on August 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thanks to unused airline miles, we have a subscription to the rag, and it is A RAG. It’s kind of sad to read the wandering nonsense of an aging hippie- it’s like, “Dude, we’ve all grown up; join us”

BettyRuth on August 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

“Rage” Throws Tantrum.

News at ten.

viking01 on August 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

ahlaphus on August 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

~~~~~

“Sleep Now In the Fire”. Great song by RATM, I LOVE their music, but they’re as wacky Lefty as you can get!

ellifint on August 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

yes both dead by that time-drugs. i saw them at the providence civic center before- they were incredible live with that original line up.

mittens on August 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Bad pick on Ryan’s part. That band stinks musically and politically.

AshleyTKing on August 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Aren’t these the same people who tell conservatives that advocate the boycotting of liberal entertainers to stop taking everything so seriously?

Knott Buyinit on August 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Gordon Winslow on August 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Coolest story ever.

bmmg39 on August 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I always liked Rage Against the Machine. I always knew that they are proud Marxist-Leninists.

But I want to see their tax returns.

V-rod on August 18, 2012 at 2:41 AM

So a guy who supports Castro and Chavez doesn’t like Ryan. Looks like my support for Ryan is justified again.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 18, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Reminds me of that community’s endless whining that they’re perpetually being ‘held back by the man’ when they’re ‘the man’ now!! Stupid idiots can’t even be happy when they’re in charge, as mental illness untreated (liberalism) can lead to a very unhappy existence :(

I wish more O humpers would utilize the mental health offerings at least before we have that thing kicked to the gutter/curb so familiar in O’s ‘organized community’ of ChicagObamaville which btw had 2 murders and 17 wounded in shootings just last night, Friday August 17th

So O’s community organizing is Averaging 5 murders a day, more than Baghdad… nice community work to be ‘promoted on’ to HNIC eh? NOT – http://trib.in/Ooqjtx

chicagoray on August 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Did anybody but me notice how completely lame this is?

Aside from the banal repetition of “rage” which might have been more appropriate coming from a 9th grader, Paul Ryan is arguably the most even-tempered fellow I’ve ever seen on the national stage. Mild-mannered, even, if it weren’t for the fact that he’s actually telling hard truths to politicians who don’t want to hear it.

And do we really have to listen to yet another recitation of the consummate error of the left: how they confuse their specific policy for the moral imperatives they think they’re fulfilling by pursuing those policies?

It doesn’t take great mental prowess to learn metal guitar (although there are things in music that do require significant mental ability, a chimpanzee can learn the physical pyrotechnics employed by the average metal band.) But I would have supposed it took enough that the poor fellow might have learned by now that “passing a law demanding that $X of the taxpayer’s money be handed out to poor people” is not the only possible variant of “helping the poor.” Maybe if he was capable of grasping that, it might be possible to explain to him that “passing a law” is not even a particularly good idea.

philwynk on August 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM

The “Machine” they’re raging against is the same one their parents and grandparents hated in the 60s.

Why haven’t liberals figured out that they’re just warming up warmed-over leftovers again and again and again?

Grace_is_sufficient on August 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Do you ever notice that leftists complain about rage while they sputter their own. They’re andry there’s dissent out there. how dare we?

arand on August 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Speaking of rage, what is this freak doing with two bandoliers of ammunition criss crossing what pases for his chest?
Hey Tom, do a St Francis of Assisi, give away all you have to the poor who touch your heart so much.

arand on August 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Still Raging Against Their Allowance are they?

MNHawk on August 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Sieze the means of production? All the more reason I loves me some bootlegged RATM downloads.

morbius on August 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Lets visit this band’s lyrics before we give too much credit for what these pinko commies think.

“Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times!
Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times!
Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times!
They can be f***ing with other n-words s***, but they can’t be f***ing with mine!”

What brilliance from a group of aging commies.

kregg on August 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’ve got news for you, Tom Morello & RATM, are in fact TOTM, Tools of the Machine they purport to disdain. Morello’s a millionaire, a member of the 1%, he and his fellow hypocrites do songs like, “Arm the Homeless”, because they view the homeless and other poor people as something to exploit. Now, back in 1999 and 2000,I was still a democrat. Yes, I was starting to question my party.. I knew Gore was a prat, dishonest, a hypocrite and I was disgusted with what Clinton had revealed himself to be.. but I was blindly willing to vote Gore, hoping he would be better than Clinton. I knew about the planned homeless protest in Los Angeles, during the democrat convention. The homeless and homeless advocates all across the country were planning on coverging in LA, to hold a peaceful protest, hoping to shame Gore and the democrats into caring.. the problem had only gotten worse since Bill Clinton started profiteering, incentivizing the outsourcing of jobs to those who cut him checks.

Well, Morello and Rage Against the Machine were raging against how unfair it was, that this was a perfect opportunity for them, and how dare mere homeless plebs, be allowed to hold the spotlight that would be better used, by RATM holding one of their grunge fests. They and their fellow frauds, the precursors to what would become the OWS blac block, invaded the peaceful homeless protest, throwing clots of mud, bottles, hitting the police, destroying public and private property. The homeless advocates begged for them to stop, but they were told they wouldn’t be allowed to waste a moment better spent “raging”. The black American homeless activist, Ted Hayes spoke out after this travesty, referring to Morello, RATM and their fellow spoiled brats treated the homeless with contempt, only something to exploit. Morello and his fellow circus freaks desire to lord it over all of us. Like their counterparts in pre-nazi Germany, they want to reshape the US in their image, something they haven’t spent enough time contemplating, they use their precious time to naval gaze and fantasize about a day when they’re treated with the deference they imagine they deserve.

and others like them, the precursors to Occupy’s Blac Block

Of a racist crime
I’ve only served
Nineteen years of my time

Guilty of being white

Better:

WhatSlushfund on August 17, 2012 at 6:52 P

Ahhh… I still love Minor Threat. Although Ian MacKaye is a complete lefty now and Fugazi just plain sucked….

RightXBrigade on August 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM

to quote some famous dead guy:

Corporate Magazines Suck