Why you should boycott the greedy ****s at Comedy Central

posted at 1:46 pm on August 16, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

If you’re one of the people who tune in to Comedy Central on a regular basis, you’ve noticed something going on for a long time now which should rightly have you annoyed. You may think this is yet another screed against their regular skewering of conservatives far more often than liberals, but it’s not. The network has been starting shows on an increasingly bizarre, non-half hour schedule where their afternoon and prime time schedule kicks off. While this is not a new evil in broadcast greed, Comedy Central has taken the practice to new heights.

Your immediate assumption may have been because it’s simple greed, both for advertising revenue and viewer share in the ratings. And you’d be right… but there’s more to the story than that. This phenomenon was noted by media analysts more than a decade ago. And one of the chief reasons was to slosh around those advertising dollars.

Inveterate time-shifters — including owners of digital video recorders such as TiVo, as well as some VCR owners — are getting ticked off by the minutes lost when broadcasters shift their schedules so some shows start and end just slightly off the hour or half-hour…

But the motive is nothing so sinister. The networks are simply capitalizing on hit shows by moving a minute or two of ad or promo time from a lower-rated show into a more popular one that precedes it. They can then charge more for the ad and reach more viewers with a plug for another show.

Is Comedy Central doing some of that now? Yes. And the result is the usual, unwarranted annoyance of either missing part of the show on their network you wanted to watch or having to tune out early from the end of another show you like. And if you happen to use more antiquated methods of recording shows, you’ll miss out on it as well. They are also trying to capitalize on the idea that by getting you to miss a portion of a show on another network, they will steal away a rating point or two which they didn’t earn.

But Comedy Central has taken the practice to a new extreme, vastly greedier than the two or four minute “shifts” which networks used in the past to pad a popular show with a couple of extra ads. Take a look at the full daily schedule for Comedy Central. They aren’t just “stuffing” a few extra minutes into a popular show and taking them from another. This is something entirely new.

In the mornings they begin shuffling the start times around and stuffing more advertisements into their highest rated shows, but they splice in a number of shorter “Comedy Central Presents” clips (which run less than half an hour) to mix things up. They begin at 9:00 AM eastern and run Entourage, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report for 33 minutes each, and then stuff in a short stand-up bit for 21 minutes to reset the clock to 11:00. They continue this until they almost hit the top of the hour for the late afternoon / evening shift at 5:01.

A that point they being a series of what are supposed to be 1/2 hour shows, beginning with Futurama. Check out the math here:

5:01 Futurama
5:34 It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
6:05 Tosh.0
6:39 The Colbert Report
7:14 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
7:48 South Park
8:21 South Park
8:54 Futurama
9:27 Futurama
10:00 Futurama
10:30 South Park
11:00 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Notice what happened there? Not only do they run the shows at off times, packing ads into some of them like The Daily Show to balloon them up to *44 minutes 34 minutes long but they never give the time back to another show. The end result – if you add up all the shows above – is that they run eleven “half hour shows” in the six hours between 5:00 and 11:00. Put another way, they have stuffed a full, extra 1/2 hour show worth of commercials into a six hour period where they should have shown twelve. All the while messing up people’s plans to watch any given shows, messing up the ratings system and cashing in on more ads for the few shows they have which actually draw a reasonable audience. And they “miraculously” get back to an even hour starting time just in time for their flagship show at 11:00.

Now I know what many of you are thinking. “Oh, Jazz… how quaint! You still watch shows at the times they actually play? When will you come into the 21st century, you old fart? Well, I won’t. I’m an old man. (And yes… you are hereby invited to come mow my lawn and then get the hell off of it.) I don’t watch that much TV and don’t care to invest in some 24/7 “record everything” system. My wife and I generally pick a few shows we might like to see and we’d like them to start on time.

So I’m now only watching a couple of Comedy Central shows on the computer whenever I feel like it. (Yes, they run ads, but the network gets a LOT less money for those advertisements.) We shouldn’t have to put up with this. It’s beyond annoying and they should be called out for it.

Rant. Over. Jazz. Out.

*EDIT: (Jazz) Yes, it’s 34 minutes, not 44. What can I say? Math is hard. But the total added commercial weight still comes out to 11 “half hour” shows in six hours.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

First?

SomeCallMeJohn on August 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Their shameless shilling for lefties and cringing cowardice is even more annoying.

spiritof61 on August 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Comedy what?

Have never, ever watched anything on that channel more than a couple of minutes.

Want funny? Just watch some of Bidens’ speeches.

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Jazz, you’ll be pleased to know I’ve been participating in a boycott of Comedy Central for years (albeit unintentional–they simply don’t have any programming I give two sh*ts about)

Kataklysmic on August 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Time shifts are annoying, but watching commercials is by far more annoying. TiVo conquers all.

SomeCallMeJohn on August 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

so yeah, I’m def up for a boycott of that Comedy thingy.

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I can’t stop watching what I don’t watch but won’t this p.o. the regulars? By this thread I would have assume that’s a big Yes.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The only show of theirs I watch is “South Park” and I do it online only.

I don’t watch shows with commercials. Period. Only sporting events.

wildcat72 on August 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

6:39 The Colbert Report
7:14 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
7:48 South Park
8:21 South Park
8:54 Futurama
9:27 Futurama

The Daily Show isn’t 44 minutes long, but 34.

vegconservative on August 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

some of them like The Daily Show to balloon them up to 44 minutes long

7:14 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
7:48 South Park

That’s 34 minutes Jazz. Not 44 minutes.

I do agree that the schedule is a pain though. Not that it matters for me since I only watch South Park and it isn’t on that channel.

Queasy on August 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You’re boycotting CC over this? Not over the pathetic and shameful spectacle wherein CC censored all usage of the name “Muhammed” from an episode of South Park, including the entire speech at the end decrying appeasement of those who threaten others with violence?

Wow. Guess we see where the real priorities are.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Just like when we cancelled HBO, our household does not give money to people who call us racists.

kim roy on August 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

This is me. :|

This is me not caring. :|

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Free speech? Acquiescence to terrorists? No biggie.

More commercials? BOYCOTT THE MOTHERF**KERS!

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Get with the times you old fuddy duddy :-)

Kataklysmic on August 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Good comedy is hard to find these days. I’ve even noticed in when I rent movies, I find myself drawn to the non-comedy options. And I loved comedy for so many years.

22044 on August 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

More Matlock!!!

LtGenRob on August 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I don’t watch Comedy Central at all, but if they want to do this, whatever. If you don’t like it, don’t watch Comedy Central. This whole “greed” slant sounds like it came from the mouth of some liberal.

Bitter Clinger on August 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’m guilty. I watch Tosh.0, South Park, and Futurama. That’s about it from them.

I’m an old man. And yes… you are hereby invited to come mow my lawn and then get the hell off of it.

That’s going into my Random Quote section on my site.

…And done.

BigGator5 on August 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Somebody actually watches Comedy Central…I have it on my Dish Network package but I never watch that drivel.

logicman_1998 on August 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’m more PO’d about FB on HA…

d1carter on August 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Isn’t this some sort of capitalism? Are you saying they’re an evil corporation? Yes and yes. That is not what bothers me, but the hypocritical attitudes of the bleeding heart elitists there sure does.

yubley on August 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

This whole “greed” slant sounds like it came from the mouth of some liberal.

Bitter Clinger on August 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

That occurred to me, as well. Pretty pathetic, Jazz.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

People still watch TV on network’s schedule?

MNHawk on August 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Actually, you should cut the chord completely…you won’t miss it at all.

That said, this seems like a trivial (though annoying) concern.

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

If it’s not recorded on my Tivo first I don’t watch it. If the Tivo recording is missing parts I won’t watch it.

Not sure if I’d call it a boycott, but this will effectively keep me away from their shows.

Whatever. Tosh.O and Workaholics are the only things I watch from them (my tastes are refined as you can see) and they repeats dozen times.

Ampersand on August 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Just buy a DVR and end your frustration already. It won’t be long before technology catches up with the FF button and revenue won’t be paid on a commercial that wasn’t watched.

Get in on it now.

With the extra time you’ll have saved, you can mow your own lawn, at your leisure. win= win

OR as Joe Biden would say, “join us in the 20th century!”

Fish on August 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

By golly, we need a government commission and independent counsel to look into this sort of thing.

Like with baseball.

* * * * * *

On a more serious note, I’ve always had a problem with paying for my cable TV and then having to sit through commercials on top of it.

Spannerhead on August 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I smell desperation in the air at Comedy Central.

meci on August 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Why?

Tosh.0 is 10 year old internet clips with unfunny comments intermixed. I’ve actually wondered, why is this guy on TV?

Futurama isn’t funny since its return. It was barely funny prior to that.

South Park. Well, okay, I watch that but that’s on like 30 channels now. But even South Park is getting formulaic and a little tedious.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Futurama.

albill on August 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Thanks for confirming that I’m not missing anything by not watching any of the nighttime lineup at CC.

BuckeyeSam on August 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Fear Factor
Hardcore Pawn
World’s Dumbest

That’s good TV.

(And now I enjoy watching “big bang theory” in reruns. It’s kinda funny in that it’s not funny at all. It’s more sad.).

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

A conservative blog using “greed” as a pejorative? Really? That for socialists.

OF COURSE they are greedy. YOU are greedy. I am greedy. Stop whining and don’t watch if you are annoyed or inconvenienced by their programming.

Clark1 on August 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Fish on August 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Better yet, just get Netflix, and never have to deal with commercials again, at a far cheaper rate than cable or satellite.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Commercials are a big bugaboo for me. Most stations will play four minutes of a show followed by up to six minutes of ads. Being as I am, I calculated that for every one-hour program, viewers have to sit through 26 minutes of commercials.

More, all the stations play their ads at the same time! I have literally gone though up to 13 different stations during a commercial break on one, to find them all playing ads at the same time. Worse, some ads are played twice during a single break. Just in case you went to the can the first time they ran it. And, a new fad is what I call mini infomercials, where the view is treated to a solid four-minute ad for some skin cream or other (Call NOW!) Remember, people–if you have cable, you’re paying to suffer through this.

If I’m paying for entertainment, I want more than 34 minutes of program from what’s billed as a one-hour show.

I’m not big on government regulation. But if any industry needs to be fixed, it’s the TV stations.

/done with my rant, and it felt so good!

Liam on August 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I tried watching “The Colbert Report”, but five minutes into it I got my fill of that smug twit.

Really, there isn’t anything on CC that isn’t stupid, vile and usually filthy, the lowest common denominator in so-called humor.

I don’t find anything on CC amusing. At all.

hawkeye54 on August 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I think Jazz needs a reminder.

Amazing how many so-called conservatives will suddenly turn their ire on companies if their own personal convenience is threatened.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Clark1 on August 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

The programming is fine. It’s the onslaught of commercials that’s the problem!

Liam on August 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM

This is nothing new, really. Remember when (W)TBS always scheduled their programs five minutes ahead?

TMOverbeck on August 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I’m with you. I’ve never watched any Comedy Central show. For comedy, I always go with MSNBC.

Curtiss on August 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Rotten kids, with their zoot suits, beatles haircuts, and their “23-skiddoo!” Yes, get off my lawn! (shakes fist)

Bouncing Beatnik on August 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

More commercials just makes it easier to watch 2 shows at once. That’s all. Find a second show and flip between them when one is on commercial break.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

This is why God invented Netflix and such.

Oh, and Jon Stewart and Colbert aren’t worth it. Trust me. Let it go, Jazz. You’ll feel better for it.

beatcanvas on August 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

kim roy on August 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

So then you don’t watch TV, go to the movies, or listen to music? Because everyone in the entertainment industry thinks conservatives are racist. Oh, there may be the lone exception here or there. But if you want to block out all entertainment produced by people who are leftists and think we’re all racist wingnuts, you just have to block out all entertainment.

Shump on August 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

HEH!!!

Talon on August 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report should be moved to MSNBC. That would help me out, inasmuch as I’ve deleted MSNBC from my cable channels and, therefore, I wouldn’t have to see the so very funny face of Stewart, or the weirdo Colbert’s face [he whose best days were playing a closet homosexual, teacher on Strangers With Candy], anymore.

I can’t imagine a Conservative watching these Commie prepubescents.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

First?

SomeCallMeJohn on August 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Crap.

Tenwheeler on August 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

*blinks* more prune juice sir? If a network wants to run shows to make money why are you making a big deal about it? Either watch or don’t watch, I thought conservatives weren’t whiners? complaining that capitalist are trying to do anything possible to make money is like crying that water is wet. Get over it.

Zekecorlain on August 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I don’t see the problem. But, full disclaimer. I don’t have a TV, don’t intend to get a cable package, and the only show I find worth watching is Southpark – which airs a lot of episodes later on…

… problem solved?

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Watch Stewart and Colbert? I’d rather set my hair on fire and put it out with a hammer.

kingsjester on August 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Futurama isn’t funny since its return.

A fair point.

It was barely funny prior to that.

*Joe Wilson voice* YOU LIE

ninja duck on August 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Other than South Park I never watch Comedy Central anyway. I tried Always Sunny in Philly bit it’s not so good

BuzzCrutcher on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

SomeCallMeJohn on August 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Crap.

Tenwheeler on August 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Not you.

Just amazed how time flies.
There I was, watching….then got involved in that picnic table discussion. Looked back, and, well…crap.

Must feel good to be first.
Watch your back.

Tenwheeler on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

*Joe Wilson voice* YOU LIE

ninja duck on August 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Admit it. Only Bender is funny.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Thanks for another validation of my decision to stop watching TV. I gave DirecTV the boot over a year ago.

Socratease on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Joe Wilson was RIGHT!

Tenwheeler on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I’m an old man.

Old people have been adapting forever. Clearly, you have – you’re, um, a blogger.

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Get a PC or laptop (cheap if you can) and high speed internet. And a TV with a monitor plug. My laptop was used (family member thankfully) but the PC in question doesn’t have to be top of the line, and my new TV was a gift (I think in the $450 range a couple years back). Monitor plugs aren’t a surprise anymore on the back of a TV (I was surprised then, not so much now).

You can get a USB remote receiver and remote for a laptop on Amazon for $25-30. Aside from a button labelled “Mumlock” it works fine, and lets you use a remote to control the mouse with several buttons for standard functions.

Pay $9 for NetFlix and $9 for Hulu Plus (which I don’t have yet). Your cable/DSL/etc (I switched to DSL as they offered me a $25/mo intro rate) is the only other recurring part of this bill.

Watch your shows, when you want, streamed to your TV… with no cable bill.

If you like sports, or want to watch something live (Olympics, debates, etc.) that require Cable you’ll need something else. But I haven’t seen a commercial in years.

And we’re not discussing torrents or anything illegal or questionable.

I’m paying for exactly what I’m getting… and it’s saving me money and avoiding the hassle.

I’m sure there are people who would differ on the specific NetFlix/Hulu Plus/etc plans out there and I won’t claim mine is the “best”.

But my roommate watches TV one show at a time anymore. And watching 4 seasons of something in order without distractions or commercials when you want with a pause button and forward/reverse? It’s nice. Even being one season back on my shows doesn’t bother me (although from what I’m led to understand Hulu Plus would fix that).

I’m not sure what you’re paying for Cable; but I’m paying $35 for Netflix plus my DSL, I might end up as high as 45 in the near future once my roommate has more money coming in for Hulu Plus; but I’ll never have the $140 Cable + cable modem bill again.

If you’re a tech geek, or have one in the family who can help you arrange this setup… you can seriously cut your TV costs. Unless there is something that you require that can’t be covered here (as I said, sports, debates, live whatever). None of that seemed worth $100/mo for me.

gekkobear on August 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Why would anyone with a brain be watching this crap ??

If you watch this moronic drivel day after day your brain will rot, and you will tend to believe vote for anyone.

FlaMurph on August 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, I remember when Ted Turner started TBS and made it run at 5 and 35 minutes past the hour.

AubieJon on August 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

This sounds like a rant my grandmother would’ve made in the 80′s about touchtone phones. Technology changes, don’t be mad about it because you, for some reason, refuse to change along with it. Unless I’m watching a live sporting event (which even that is rare, I usually DVR them as well), I haven’t seen a commercial on TV in 5 years. Starting times of TV shows are irrelevant, as are the number of commercials they play during the show.

CoffeeMan on August 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This from a site that launches annoying video ads with sound on every page of their site? Ones that you can’t pause until after the first commercial plays completely?

Oh, the irony.

RationalIcthus on August 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

The programming is fine. It’s the onslaught of commercials that’s the problem!

Liam on August 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM

That will only be cured when people stop watching TV. Government regulation (which you initimated in a prior post) IS NOT THE SOLUTION.

Bitter Clinger on August 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

This is solved by a powerful computer running multiple, dual-tuner DVR cards. You can record 2-6 shows at once, and with Windows Media Center there are options for buffering before and after the actual scheduled record times to prevent the over and under-runs that cause you to miss parts of your shows.

I set all my recordings to record an extra 10 minutes past the scheduled stop time. This can be adjusted up to an extra 30 minutes before and after the scheduled time. Disk space is cheap, and it works most of the time. It does use extra disk space to record the extra time, but hard drives are inexpensive these days.

HopeHeFails on August 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Oh, the irony.

RationalIcthus on August 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

What ads?

/adblock

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I don’t even watch commercial television anymore at all. Ever. I haven’t for a really long time. I only ever watch commercial-free premium television channels. If there’s something from commercial channels that I want to watch I on-demand it via either my cable company’s on-demand or I use the excellent non-subscription on-demand service VUDU.

FlatFoot on August 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

spiritof61 on August 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

To be fair tho, Jon Stewart, for example, has been know to go after Democrats/liberals as well. And really, there’s only two shows where politics of any sort are discussed on Comedy Central…Stewart’s Daily Show, and Colbert’s show.

I think Jazz is getting himself worked up over nothing…he’s right in that this kind of thing isn’t new. And it’s been used by other networks as well, if I recall correctly, like TBS.

The real problems, in my opinion, are the noticeable increases in commercials on hit shows (primetime shows like LOST were an hour long, with 20 minutes of that hour being commercials…and those annoying graphics of other shows at the bottom of the screen that move around. I’ll add one more…I forgot which station it was, but they’ve gone to putting actual advertising during the show that’s on, via a banner ad at the bottom of the screen, blocking a good part of the viewing area…and they come on right after the commercials.

Now that needs to stop.

JetBoy on August 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Here’s an idea. Your TV? KILL IT! Boycott all shows. Read book or make something with your hands, anything but be a passive grub being spoonfed mental slurpies.

ronsfi on August 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Some people still watch TV?

Aronne on August 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

First?

SomeCallMeJohn on August 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

You need to be more confident.

CW on August 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

BuzzCrutcher on August 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

“Urge to kill….rising.” – Homer Simpson

sentinelrules on August 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh, the irony.

RationalIcthus on August 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Oh, burn.

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

kim roy on August 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Shump on August 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I bolded the important part for you.

Yes, I do watch TV, go to the movies, etc. I just don’t GIVE MONEY to those that come out and call me a racist or denigrate what I believe in. I don’t believe in funding it.

Yes, I am well aware of Hollywood and the like being liberals. That’s fine as long as they don’t blatantly insult me. Even if they support someone I cannot, that’s fine too. It’s a free country, right?

For instance, HBO and Sean Penn will never see another dime from me. There are a number of people that I will not pay to watch or buy their product. I mainly watch sports anyways, but there are “places” one can get things and Netflix is really all we need.

There really is something to be said about the “old Hollywood” way in which the studio heads kept a tight rein on everything – it didn’t turn off 50% of the customer base.

kim roy on August 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

“Urge to kill….rising.” – Homer Simpson

sentinelrules on August 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

HIMYM is vastly superior.

mythicknight on August 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Only thing work watching on CC in South park, and those episodes are easily available online, without ads.

brak on August 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Meh, they are my guilty pleasures. I know I’m feeding a far-left nut job like Tosh, but he is funny. Sue me.

FlaMurph on August 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

You really need to get a grip, my friend. If you can’t laugh at yourself sometimes, then you don’t know a good joke. My beliefs are stronger for laughing at their brianless jokes than if I just ignore them.

You can’t spell ignorance, without ignore.

BigGator5 on August 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Isnt Comedy Central free to offer its products and services however it likes and we as consumers are free to purchase / use them if we desire?

They have made a choice how to present the product, you are free to use it or not or how about this… you offer an alternative you think is better and would be better received by the public?

AndrewsDad on August 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Occasional South Park, viewed online, really rare turn in when changing channels and see a stand up comedian I like. Comedy Central is geared toward stoned college kids. As for being greedy, that’s their, and their viewers, business. As long as they can get eyes on it, and it makes money, I’d do it, too.

di butler on August 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

This is a private company right? And someone is willing to pay higher advertising fees, right? Then let it be.

tommer74 on August 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

HIMYM is vastly superior.

mythicknight on August 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Oh man…I feel faint.

sentinelrules on August 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

No worries here. We don’t buy cable TV anyway. It’s highway damn robbery.

Netflix ($8/mo), Hulu Plus ($8/mo) and a $30 one-time purchase of a digital antenna keeps the wife in her reality TV shows and the little ones in their kiddie stuff.

I save around $100/mo and I don’t have to worry about boycotting the a$$hats on Comedy Central.

mapper on August 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Comedy Central? I am fresh out of f**ks to give.

Archivarix on August 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

tommer74 on August 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Well, unless Jazz is suggesting we nationalize it!

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Comedy Central’s parent, Viacom, started pulling this stunt several years ago on Nick at Nite and TV Land. The problem was by then they had turned into nothing but non-stop repeats of “Rosanne”, “The Nanny” and “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air”, so nobody really paid much attention.

TBS also tried scheduling their show start times at five minutes after every hour/half hour, under the idea that people wouldn’t change the channel if the other networks’ shows already had started. Instead, it turned out people wouldn’t stay on TBS while flipping the dial on the hour/half hour because the station’s shows weren’t over yet and they didn’t want to hang around the additional five minutes until the next show started. My guess is Comedy Central’s going to learn the same lesson, especially if none of their shows are must-see-TV, except for liberals who want to see more lame Fox News rants passed off as comedy.

jon1979 on August 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

The market will handle this one. If people don’t like it, and get better value elsewhere, they will leave. In any trade, both parties are better off. If you don’t like the value you they give, in this case timeliness and more content, you don’t have to watch.

Part of your argument though is that they are greedy, which is a lousy argument. Everyone expects the maximum value whether the product is money or content. There are a good number of people who would force them or people in other professions to lower their prices. Would you like to be considered greedy or selfish for wanting more content and on YOUR schedule? The word “greedy” is a pejorative for people who want more for their buck or product attempting to get them to change their price. It is for people who want to make you feel bad for wanting to be able to choose to set the price at which you buy or sell.

So would you like congress to pass a law requiring X amount of content per half hour and that shows must only start on the hour or half hour? I’m personally glad CC still have the choice.

I’ve boycotted comedy central for my whole life excepting when somebody here or at instapundit provides a link to a clip that I get for free. Atlas Shrugged does a very good job of explaining how people use guilt and/or force to get desired results, and the resulting decline of free trade. Please don’t use class envy to get me not to use a service. I want to get rich some day by earning it by trading my services for valuable consideration. I don’t want somebody trying to put me down or change my business on account of my trying to get maximum value for services I provide. If there is a problem with my pricing or quality, the market will go elsewhere.

zonataman on August 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

You can’t spell ignorance, without ignore.

BigGator5 on August 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I guess I’m going to rain on your sunny parade.

FlaMurph is spot on. Wouldn’t you say you are less ignorant for ignoring many wasteful uses of time?

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Why is this on HotAir?

EricW on August 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Comedy Central.

I tend to not support people who lie to me right off the bat.

kbTexan on August 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

zonataman on August 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Summary: Jazz = greedy.

Spot on.

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

The Internet (as you already know) and Netflix are your friends. I don’t even have a cable box anymore.

The Rogue Tomato on August 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

5:01 Futurama
5:34 It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
6:05 Tosh.0
6:39 The Colbert Report
7:14 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
7:48 South Park
8:21 South Park
8:54 Futurama
9:27 Futurama
10:00 Futurama
10:30 South Park
11:00 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

No need to boycott – wouldn’t watch any of this crap anyway.

peski on August 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Ahh, Jazz, thank you for stepping in to provide a few moments of comic (pun intended) relief. I feel your frustration; I now manually set recordings on my dvr, because all networks do this to one degree or another. If you’re attempting to watch these programs in real time, which it sounds as if you are, then you’re just up the proverbial creek. But please, rant on! A good rant is cleansing.

MustLoveBlogs on August 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Seriously, who cares?

nico on August 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I agree with EricW: “Why is this on Hot Air?”

Who has time to watch this kind of crap? Don’t people have more valuable things to do, like get to bed in time to go to work the next day? Really, don’t you guys have families, wives, kids or a list of books long as your arm to attend to?

Comedy Central, like most everything you watch on TV, is garbage. The only reason to have the tube on is for news, sports and watching something with your loved ones.

Shmuli on August 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Not sure what Comedy Central is. I don’t do boycotts however. I just don’t watch.

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

It’s not working out for Comedy Central, in my case. I love the Futurama and South Parks, but I have a DirecTV DVR, which adjust to the times and can record two shows at the same time and just record the shows and when an ad comes on, I just push the 30 second forward button 7 times and the ads are gone.

Basically, the only shows I ever watch live, (at stated guide time) are sporting events and all other shows are recorded on my DVR, so I only see commercials during baseball or football games, and it’s been that way for almost 10 years now. I just spend 5 to 6 minutes each afternoon about 5:30 going thru the guide and recording the shows I may want to watch later. My current main DVR can record over 200 hours of HD programing.

Wallythedog on August 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Am I wrong or unless you have a Nielsen Box attached to your TV, a boycott wouldn’t mean a thing?

120pages on August 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Come on everyone – it’s a COMEDY SHOW.

Are we really going to slam left wing comedy?

Please – just laugh – cry – or turn the channel.

jake-the-goose on August 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM

There is no law that they have to provide 12 half-hour shows in 6 hours. (Or, I should say, I don’t think there is a law… given how many asinine laws we have in this country, I can’t be sure.)

If they have faithful enough veiwers to subject them to slightly more commecials than other networks, then they should do this. They could even shorten the actual content of each program and achieve the same increase in advertising minutes. I really don’t care, it is between them and their viewers. They are trying a new business model and if they alienate their viewers, so be it. I won’t be getting indignant about their adjusted business model.

But, if it makes you feel better, I won’t watch Comedy Central. Of course, I don’t watch them now, but I’ll continue to not watch them. Just for you.

makattak on August 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM