Video: Reality-show star perfectly demonstrates decline of civilization in two minutes

posted at 8:47 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a metaphor for cultural decadence so spectacularly apt that I can’t quite believe it’s unintentional. The “craft” she’s engaged in here is bad enough, but to have the star of “The Hills,” of all shows, doing the demonstration is just too good to be true. If you gave the “South Park” guys a solid month to think, they still couldn’t come up with a better goof on celebrity shallowness than this. The only way it could be improved is with Kim Kardashian in place of Conrad, maybe burning the pages off over an open fire instead of cutting them with an exacto knife. Can’t wait for next month’s craft lesson, in which Lauren repurposes canvas from old paintings to make some super cute shoes.

Exit quotation from Lemony Snicket, whose book you’ll see receiving the exacto treatment: “It has always been my belief that people who spend too much time with my work end up as lost souls, drained of reason, who lead lives of raving emptiness and occasional lunatic violence. What a relief it is to see this documented.” Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I kept praying she would slice a finger.

Sherman1864 on August 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Dumb as dirt, but not untypical. A metaphor for what books & literacy have come to. It will get worse.
But why does Snicket write such trash & then show pretense of despair?

arand on August 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Too bad she didn’t use a Koran. That would’ve been awesome.

Mark1971 on August 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That comment was awesome!

Pablo Snooze on August 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Those saying this is no big deal have a limited point.

It is her decision to destroy the books. She’s using books that are readily replacable. But she’s encouraging others to do the same, and in a careless indifferent fashion or attitude.

Look at what she is doing. Destroying books to make a ‘thing’ that presents a facade of having books.

The purposeful destruction of books (kinda seems like self-censhorship to me) is a sensitive subject and accounts for (IMO) some of the reaction. In this time of socialist takover that we are fighting so hard to counter, this represents the mind, body, and soul control that the socialists want. If they can get us to voluntarily do what they want it makes their job so much easier.

I realize I don’t have eloquent words to get my point across but this bothers me on so many levels.

TerryW on August 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

After you take a class, you know you’ll never crack that book again. Why not have it stuffed and mounted?

Red Creek on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

vac·u·ous
adj \ˈva-kyə-wəs\
Definition of VACUOUS
1: emptied of or lacking content

2: marked by lack of ideas or intelligence : stupid, inane

3: devoid of serious occupation : idle

FineasFinn on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Too bad she didn’t use a Koran. That would’ve been awesome.

Mark1971 on August 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Dude.

SlimyBill on August 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

“Ever read Shakespeare?”
“I’m not sure. Who wrote it?”

CrustyB on August 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I’m going to burn a bunch of my own books tonight to prove a point. the point being that there is no point – it won’t have any effect on anyone except for me. I’ll then have less books in my possession.

It won’t lead to socialism.

Monkeytoe on August 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Well, that “craft” might be all right for old college textbooks that are going to end up recycled anyway because no one wants them, but geeze, destroying new story books to decorate a box? Wasteful.

RebeccaH on August 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM

My grandfather, who owned a bookbinding business is rolling over in his grave. How sad.

lea on August 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

lea on August 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Why? the more current books destroyed, the more business he would have had in binding new editions.

Monkeytoe on August 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I just decorated my Dropbox like this using several Ebooks.

It’s pretty cool.

esnap on August 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM

ROFLMAO! :-D

Mary in LA on August 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Folks, I think it’s a mistake to fetishize the notion of “The Book.”

If she had done this to a priceless first edition, then, yes, I and everyone else here would unleash a hellstorm of wrath — but that’s not what she did.

A fellow student of mine took old sheet music and decoupaged it all over her fiddle case. The case looked really cool, and really, how were the tunes harmed? The sheet music wasn’t rare — she wasn’t using original Mozart manuscripts, just mass-market arrangements of old standards and show tunes.

We should fight like hell to make sure that the contents of books aren’t damaged or suppressed, but an individual copy of a book, not so much.

That’s even true, IMHO, for the Bible, and I am a Christian. When I see terrorists burning the Bible, or the American flag, I get outraged and angry — most of us do — and I also roll my eyes at the stupid primitives who think they can damage America by burning her flag, or damage God or Jesus Christ by desecrating a printed copy of the Eternal Word. Stupid primitives mistaking the symbol for the reality — that’s all they are.

Mary in LA on August 17, 2012 at 4:54 PM