Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Taking command of the French 9th army in 1914 as it retreated before the Germans, Marshal Ferdinand Foch uttered his immortals words: “Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack.”…

In the Medicare debate, schoolyard rules apply: Punch the bully in the mouth twice as hard.

If Medicare reform could be adjudicated in a roundtable discussion hosted by uberwonk Alice Rivlin over tea and scones at the Brookings Institution, it would be one thing. But the tenor and substance will be set by David Axelrod, whose professional obligation is to be witlessly demagogic and wholly dishonest…

Even if it stays on offense, the Romney campaign is on perilous ground with Medicare. But there is no heading back. There is no cute way out.

***

Many spending hawks in Washington had hoped that Mitt Romney’s selection of leading deficit warrior Paul Ryan as his running mate would open a more candid and sober debate about cutting federal spending.

But the tone of the campaign rhetoric on Medicare — with each party accusing the other of working to destroy the program — has raised concern among longtime deficit-reduction advocates that neither party is preparing the public for what they see as the demographic imperative of curbing Medicare spending…

“Everyone knows that Medicare in its current state is unsustainable. There’s not a serious person out there who argues otherwise,” said Steve Bell, economic policy director at the Bipartisan Policy Center. “And we are now starting to have an emotional, distorted, propagandistic debate about it.”

***

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s new promise to restore the Medicare cuts made by President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul law could backfire if he’s elected.

The reason: Obama’s cuts also extended the life of Medicare’s giant trust fund, and by repealing them Romney would move the insolvency date of the program closer, toward the end of what would be his first term in office.

Instead of running out of money in 2024, Medicare says its trust fund for inpatient care would go broke in 2016 without the cuts. That could leave a President Romney little political breathing room to finalize his own Medicare plan…

“If you are going to restore (Obama’s cuts), then what it’s going to do is complicate the financial condition of Medicare,” said former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker, a fiscal conservative who says government health care programs are too costly.

***

Over time, the demographic pressures will intensify. The Social Security trustees project that by 2040 there will be 80 million seniors (one-fifth of the total population) and only about two and a half working-age Americans for each one of them. Ryan is right to recognize that something’s got to give.

But while he has correctly diagnosed a major problem, his plan ignores another central element of the budget equation: The bitter experience of leaders from Ronald Reagan to Newt Gingrich to Barack Obama has demonstrated that it is virtually impossible to sell major changes in entitlement programs without bipartisan support. And Ryan’s blueprint seems almost designed to repel Democrats

Virtually no Democrat would support converting Medicare into a premium-support system if it comes in that wrapping. “If Republicans are not going to let the Bush tax cuts for upper-income taxpayers expire, then any kind of serious entitlement reform is off the table for Democrats,” says the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Steve Bell, former Republican staff director for the Senate Budget Committee.

***

Democrats’ relentless campaigns against Republicans as threatening to “destroy” Social Security and Medicare have succeeded at intimidation — and, curiously, Paul Ryan is proof.

There are two Ryans: what I call the good Ryan and the bad Ryan. Probably more than anyone in Washington, the good Ryan has highlighted long-term deficits’ potential harm to our children and grandchildren. The bad Ryan has fashioned an unrealistic and undesirable budget by trying to accommodate both liberal dogma (don’t cut Social Security and Medicare benefits) and conservative dogma (don’t raise taxes). Any sensible plan must do both…

[T]he elderly would be mainly spared [in Ryan's budget]. Spending on them in 2030 would drop only slightly, estimates the CBO. Despite this, President Obama warns that Republicans “would end Medicare as we know it.” Liberal pundits say Republicans would “kill” Medicare. It is this cynical fear-mongering that poisons debate. One reason Democrats won’t change Social Security and Medicare is that defending them is so politically rewarding. This, as much as Republican tax intransigence, underlies the stalemate.

***

Had the president embraced the [Bowles-Simpson deficit reduction] plan, it still likely wouldn’t have passed but it would have provided a new, substantive line of attack. Obama could have, as Clinton did with changes to welfare, stolen the middle ground. Obama instead reverted back to his calls for more stimulus spending, miniature versions of his 2009 program.

Obama let Ryan off the hook. Ryan might have seemed intransigent, but when Obama punted and then offered a budget that ignored the issues, Ryan’s status as a man of big ideas and reason was preserved…

Now, Obama is reaping the unhappy harvest as Ryan crisscrosses the country prosecuting the president’s inaction on debt and deficits. Had Obama done the same to Ryan in the winter of 2010-2011, not only would Ryan not be Romney’s running mate, but Obama could be making a claim on fiscal centrism rather than just launching wave after wave of attacks on his Republican challenger.

***

President Obama’s campaign calls this an achievement. You think raiding Medicare to pay for Obamacare is an achievement? Neither do I.

Next time you get your pay stub, take a look at the line that says payroll taxes, FICA. Those payroll taxes that come out of our paychecks are designed for two programs and two programs alone: Medicare and Social Security. But now, because of Obamacare, it’s funding Obamacare as well.

It’s wrong.

***

Via the Corner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

For bayam to start out the tunes:

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I’m not going to click on a YouTube link and help enrich those liberals at Google. Nice try though.

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Resist We Much on August 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I was interested enough to read some of it, but my honest opinion is that you are spending too much of your time and considerable talent rebutting claims that, to my knowledge, only one person has raised. Quit sweating him and just keep doing what you do. You do it well! My two cents…

KCB on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Yep. I know one because he is a registered Democrat. He really should be an Indie…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Perhaps I should have said

elected

‘rats.

Not the rank & file useful idiots.

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM

In that clip with Sour Kraut debating with Juan Williams, check out Dr. K’s facial expression at the 1-minute mark. Priceless!

Doughboy on August 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I also know know registered Dems who have been voting straight R ticket since Reagan/and/or/Clinton years…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Can I make that my QOTD?

KCB on August 16, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Be my guest :)

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I am a reluctant FB user. I use it to mainly follow businesses and authors that I like. I try to keep my account on tight lock-down, but I never really know for certain that it is as secure as I would prefer because they change things all the time. And I believe that they are dishonest. After this week and the turmoil here, I’m seriously considering deactivating my account. Not sure it will do much good, but I know you absolutely cannot delete a fb account, which is kind of a scary thought.

MustLoveBlogs on August 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I am referring to the Bart Stupaks & the Heath Schulers.

How’d that ‘centrism’ work out for them?

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

The neighbor’s dog howled so both of my dogs just ran into the locked doggie door. One is still shaking his head. On that note, night all!

Fallon on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

BeBe Angienetter Norris

Why did u name her BeBe?

gracie on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Did your parents name you after Barney Rubble’s kid, bayam-bayam?

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

bayam, I don’t know you, but do you realize every time you refresh here. You are enriching, 3 social networks tracking you, 3 ad networks tracking you and 5 companies that are tracking you. Do you know who is enriched bey your refresh?

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

bey=by

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yes, CK can hammer Juan ever so softly and still bash his head in. OOh, too graphic?

MustLoveBlogs on August 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Good Night Fallon, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Not ‘ny more, thanks to you.

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

When is the veep debate?

wolly4321 on August 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

the new aesthetic on August 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

So sorry for your loss. Those who don’t understand the loving nature of dogs will never know the years of joy you experienced with BeBe. I pray that only good memories attend you as you endure this loss.

csdeven on August 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

My Firefox blocks the FB posts completely. Are they showing up down here in the blogs now?

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I checked a few of the headlines and didn’t see too many from FB.
Haven’t seen any in the regular HA threads.

Noticed an improvement as some of the ads were gone and my PC isn’t freaking out, so glad for that!!

bluefox on August 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Did your parents name you after Barney Rubble’s kid, bayam-bayam?

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

What is it that CW calls him? Brayam?

Apt. Reads like a jackass braying.

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I am so sick of hearing that “any serious plan to increase revenues must include tax increases”. Utter liberal tripe. But I have yet to hear Mitt or any republican make the case that raising taxes gets you less revenue and cutting taxes gets you more. It is a proven fact, especially with capital gains and it is essential to talk about this. Use JFK who cut the top marginal rate from 90 to 70 and revenues jumped tremendously. Of course the case is best demonstrated by Reagan’s results.

phillysfinest on August 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I’ve heard it said that Heaven is a place where all the dogs you’ve loved come running to greet you. That concept has comforted me in the past.

a capella on August 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM

night all!

Fallon on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

‘Nite, Fallon

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM

In a report last year, Third Way, a centrist Democratic think tank,
Anybody know any ‘centrist’ ‘rats?

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

You can find any number of analysts who reach the same conclusion and it’s clearly up to voters to decide if those sources are credible, and whether insurance companies would manipulate the provisions of any new regulations:

As for Medicaid, I don’t think anyone really questions the impact of Ryan’s plan

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Other than Google and FB, who else?

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Not ‘ny more, thanks to you.

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Plus its good for playing Bishop. ; )

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I’d love that.

gracie on August 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Apt. Reads like a jackass braying.

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

That’s even better.

Who’s CW?

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

You’re loss. Now don’t go braking my window to compensate for your refusal to click and enrich.

MeatHeadinCA on August 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Some of us purposefully hold back so as not to prematurely Bishop.

Fallon on August 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM

an erstwhile witty, yet epic juxtaposition of innuendo and HotAir inside jokes. Superb, spontaneous, cutting, and utterly *spot on* no pun intended. Destined to go down in the annals of HotAir lore for many many years to come. Rarely have I ever seen, nor ever bequeathed such an honor, yet tonight—I bestow it upon Fallon.

*genuflects*

Lotame

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM

*genuflects*

ted c on August 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Lol! ; )

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

If Hillary won’t do it maybe they can find another female to do it…..but who?

Sheila Jackson Lee?

Maxine Waters?

Rosa DaLauro?

Debbie Stabenow?

And what feaking difference does it make?…….the election is about OBAMA and HIS record.

If the Valerie Jarrett thing really happened then she must have taken GREAT PRIDE in stiffing Obama. Imagine effectively BEGGING Hillary to SAVE YOUR BEHIND.

#EPICEPICFAIL

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

ted c on August 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yeah, what ted said.

KCB on August 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

When is the veep debate?

wolly4321 on August 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Vice Presidential Debate

Thursday, October 11

Topic: Foreign and Domestic Policy

Air Time: 9:00-10:30 p.m. Eastern Time

Location: Centre College in Danville, Kentucky

Sponsor: Commission on Presidential Debates

Participants: Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan
Moderator: Martha Raddatz (ABC News Chief Foreign Correspondent)

The debate will cover both foreign and domestic topics and be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each. The moderator will ask an opening question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the question.

Better stock up on popcorn now. The demand for popcorn is gonna skyrocket in early October!

wren on August 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

the new aesthetic on August 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Sorry for your loss, but all dogs go to Heaven so BeBe’s right up there, running and playing and pee-ing wherever she wants, probably eating the best meal of her life. You will see her again one day, and she will come to you, licking your happy tears away.

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Juan Williams is a train wreck, he is just in panic mode

He’s really upset. Obama’s slipping away and he knows it. Juan’s real good subbing for Bill or Sean when he’s pretending to be a conservative.

gracie on August 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

If that Kudlow report is true then did Bill Clinton leak it anyway?

Sweet revenge for the Clinton team, if true.

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I love the theory that Obama let Rep. Ryan “off the hook” by not putting forth any ideas to save entitlements of his own, thereby securing Rep. Ryan’s reputation. What kind of circular logic is that?

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Night all!

Dark Star on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Facebook
Twitter badge
Google
Google analytics
Doubleclick
Lotame
Wordpress stats
Chartbeat
Dedicated Networks
Lotame

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Nice try, but you ain’t no Billy Joel.

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Valerie Jarrett

I’ll be so glad to see this gargoyle go.

gracie on August 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

KCB on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Thanks for your kind words. It is done now. I’ve destroyed his arguments with actual timestamps. Basically, he did the equivalent of a Harry Reid. Accusing me of “poaching” and trying to hurt Hot Air, Ed, and Allah were charges that I would not — could not — leave unanswered. As I prove, the first mentions of the possibility of using my blog as a meeting place in the event of mandatory FB registration came from another poster and was seconded nearly 2 hours before I weighed in on the subject.

The man falsely accused me of trying to hurt good people and defamed me by implying that I had some nefarious motivation. Turning the other cheek is not my nature. Perhaps, it is the lawyer in me, but when someone makes a blatantly and demonstrably false allegation, I will take him apart bit-by-bit with the truth and the evidence to back it up. For those kinds of people, it is simply not enough to be told that they are wrong. They must be obliterated by the facts and humiliated enough to think twice before ever doing such again either to me or anyone else on Hot Air.

As I said, it is now over and I have returned to regularly-scheduled programming.

~~wink, wink~~

Did you see this earlier?

hehehe

Resist We Much on August 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

BeBe Angienetter Norris
September 11, 2001 – August 16, 2012

the new aesthetic on August 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Oh no! I am so sorry.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM

wren on August 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Thanks, will bookmark it. I’m sure you are busy. Received an email from our Republican County Chair. Phone banks are set up and ready to go. Plan on setting up my schedule for that and whatever else I can do.

bluefox on August 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM

the new aesthetic on August 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

xoxoxo.

MontanaMmmm on August 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

What kind of circular logic is that?

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Exactly right.

If Obama had taken advantage of his education and then gotten a real job, he wouldn’t have had the arrogance to ruin the economy.

If Obama hadn’t acted against the will of the people to pass Obamacare the business confidence wouldn’t be so low and the economy would be recovering a lot faster.

If democratics hadn’t forced banks to lend money to people who couldn’t afford to pay it back we wouldn’t have had a world-wide recession.

We could go on and on.

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

OT – I’m watching a bit of “Viva Las Vegas” on TCM. Kind of fun. Definitely escapist.

MustLoveBlogs on August 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Night all!

Dark Star on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

‘Nite Dark Star

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM

In a report last year, Third Way, a centrist Democratic think tank,

Anybody know any ‘centrist’ ‘rats?

Lanceman on August 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

“A centrist Democratic think tank” is a contradiction in terms.

A Democrat is, by nature, inclined to go with “deep spiritual feelings” that have led them to a “superior level of enlightenment” – Or as I pointed out in my earlier post, they have no critical thinking capabilities.

Evidenced, in this case, by the troll seeking a response from me.

A ‘centrist’ ‘rat is a ploy used to identify independent thinkers in the Democratic ranks so the person identifying as one can be purged.

PolAgnostic on August 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM

gotta go.

‘Nite, All

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I don’t think they teach economics in Community Organizer School. I think they believe there are government money trees.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

You’re even dumber than you look. I didn’t think that was possible.

Dark Star on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Lol, never underestimate nature’s ability to offset a lack of intellect with an over abundance of stupid.

PolAgnostic on August 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Only a total and utter moron would make this analogy between Foch and Romney.

Rich Lowry – I had to look but I suppose I should have already known.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Bidens Western campaign stop..

wolly4321 on August 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Resist We Much on August 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

So wrong!! Nice to see you bcak at it! ;)

KCB on August 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

gotta go.

‘Nite, All

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Good night, jaime, sleep well!

cynccook on August 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

bcak= Ya’ll know.

KCB on August 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Team Romney and Republican pundits have to start doing a better job of explaining the simple specifics of the medicare plan, as evidenced by this:

For the niche demographic group known as the “Walmart moms,” GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan is still an unknown quantity.

So indicates the latest findings gleaned from two focus groups conducted by Democratic pollster Margie Omero of Momentum Analysis and Republican pollster Alex Bratty of Public Opinion Strategies in Columbus, Ohio, and Raleigh, N.C. The duo have been charting the mood of so-called swing “Walmart moms” — female voters with school-age children who have been to a Walmart at least once in the last month — throughout the cycle. The project is funded by the retailer.

Several of the moms knew about Mitt Romney’s announcement of Ryan, the Wisconsin Republican who heads the House Budget Committee, as his pick, but said they needed to get to know him better before they could form a fuller opinion of him. The focus group participants’ last names weren’t revealed to the news media.

“You’re kind of like, there has to be something really fantastic about him or they pulled him on for some other reason, like maybe to bump up Romney’s likability,” said one Columbus mom named Jessica. “I don’t know how I feel about it yet just because he’s either really great or he’s here for other reasons.”

Some noted that he seemed to have ascended the ladder in Washington in a up-from-bootstraps fashion that resonated with them. Several mentioned that he also seemed more warm and likable than Romney, although two also referenced his position on Medicare — a potential pitfall for the Republican ticket.

“I thought when he picked a running mate that would clarify everything for me and it has not,” said Chandler, a Raleigh mom. “His plan for the future about using vouchers for Medicare, so they can buy insurance. You think ‘OK, well, that might not be bad,’ but I have a mother on Medicare and I don’t know how that’s going to impact her.”

Jennifer, also from Raleigh added, “I was shocked that they [the Republicans] went with another controversial vice presidential candidate … because more than once he said he would do away with Medicare.” (Ryan has adamantly denied wanting to end Medicare, saying he wants to preserve it for future generations.)

Flora Duh on August 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM

The mega menagerie known as Q of D is becoming almost totally useless. More and more it is becoming a collection of clowns and may be unhealthily to brain cells.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Why d

id u name her BeBe?

gracie on August 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

My ex-girlfriend named her. She was always so attracted to girls. I almost gave her up in 2003 because she didn’t have anything to do with me. However, we bonded and she became my soul mate. It hurts so much to lose her. I am thankful, however, that she was able to be healthy and alive for so long. Great Danes have a life expectancy of 8 years. She went above an beyond that by 2 1/2 years. Truly a gift. And I am thankful. I will bury her tomorrow next to Lady Bird Johnson, a Pincher-Great Dane mix that I adopted before BeBe. Lady Bird and BeBe were so close. I pray they are together, and are frolicking in green pastures with no pain.

Thank you all for your kind words. If you are a dog lover and have lost. You know the pain.

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Resist We Much on August 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Lawyer to lawyer: By continuing to defend yourself from completely unfounded allegations, no matter your altruistic intent, you are playing into your opponents’ hands. They celebrate your replies, they provide sustenance to their motivations. My counsel: cease, desist, and kill.

TXUS on August 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Have ya’ll/ seen this.

Romney if you will.
I think someone here posted it this am.

MontanaMmmm on August 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

We could go on and on.

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Do you actually believe in that fantasy? Unbelievable. It’s amazing how banks like Wells Fargo and Chase exited the period of “forced loans to the poor” with manageable losses while other banks failed.

Those poor, victimized banks.

And you wonder why the Dallas Fed and even Sandy Weill are calling for a break up of the largest banks.

bayam on August 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Thank you friends. Hot Air is my second family for six years now. I appreciate your prayers. The prayers sustain me. I am c_f and I love each and every one of you.

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

VorDaj.- participation is optional, no?

wolly4321 on August 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Thanks for stopping by and proving your own point.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Nice try, but you ain’t no Billy Joel.

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

LOL was just listening to that! One of my favs…

BlaxPac on August 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I am a German Shepherd guy, and loving the big dogs means shorter life expectancy, as I have seen first hand. But there is something about the big dogs that I just can’t explain. I have a stepson now that is a dachshund. We call him and my Shepherd the twins. They are truly a collective mess.

KCB on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Resist We Much on August 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

TXUS on August 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Lyndon Baines Johnson, whose footsteps Barack Hussein Obama is following, in a Texas race he thought he might lose, instructed his campaign staff to put out a story that his opponent was once caught having sexual relations with a pig (an actual pig, not Nancy Pelosi). One of his staff said, “But that’s not true,” LBJ replied, “But let him deny it.”

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Nice try, but you ain’t no Billy Joel.

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Lol! ; )

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Oh, I knows! It’s terribly chit chatty! We should be seriously discussing Gary Johnson

John the Libertarian on August 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

The pain is so devastating. It has taken us five years to get over our last loss. She did live a long time for a Great Dane, both of you were lucky to have each other.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

VorDaj.- participation is optional, no?

wolly4321 on August 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

So I take it you agree with my assessment.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

John the Libertarian on August 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Does Gary Johnson wear a toupee? I just can’t decide, I change my mind depending on the photo.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

X

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

How are the others taking this?

cynccook on August 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

a capella on August 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I believe that to be true.

For new aesthetic: I can’t count the tears I have cried for every dog we have had when it died. Every time I am reminded of the phrase:

“I want to be as good a human being as my dog believes I am.”

I’ve included this link, not just because it is amusing, but because if you are a dog lover – you know it is true.

PolAgnostic on August 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Thanks for stopping by and proving your own point.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

If all the clowns are busy writing articles for the Q of D, who will perform at the circuses? Think of the children.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Sorry for your loss, but all dogs go to Heaven

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

That’s not entirely true. There’s the story about when the Devil was walking through Hell and saw a little doggy. He said “what’s your name, little fellah?” And the dog said, “My name is ‘No no bad dog.’”

John the Libertarian on August 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

John the Libertarian on August 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Who?

cynccook on August 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Always remember, it takes a village.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Yes, it leaves a hole in your heart, which, in time, will fill with your wonderful memories of Bebe. And then, that hole will close, and you’ll be filled with her love and presence always.

MustLoveBlogs on August 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Always remember, it takes a village.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I never had much use for villages. Too hard to find a decent haberdashery.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

PolAgnostic on August 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Funny!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I will bury her tomorrow

You’ll feel better after that when you finally lay her to sleep. You can order a doggy headstone on line and have it engraved with her name, dates and pawprints…not too expensive. I did that for my little pal…I can see her from my office window even now.

gracie on August 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

LOL! To true.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

My last was Fritz. German Shepard. He was so smart. He protected my wife and kids with gusto. Yet you could lay a baby next to him, no problem. He had ESP. He knew me better than I did. 2 day deer hunts, I’d say stay in camp, and he would. Kept my sleepingbag warm on frosty nights.

There’s a tree in MD. Big beautiful tree. He rests there. I’ll meet him again.

wolly4321 on August 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

No toupee, He just flips his lid a lot…and I mean, A LOT.

OTOH, his hair is about the only thing on him that shows life…

BlaxPac on August 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

LOL! To true.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

And a decent cravat – simply out of the question.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

the new aesthetic on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

My sincere condolences.

Resist We Much on August 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

[the new aesthetic on August 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM]

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know how hard that can be. No doubt mine has already shown your’s the best places to tinkle now. He was good at showing off like that.

Dusty on August 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Slow Joe Chained.

bayview on August 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

My counsel: cease, desist, and kill.

TXUS on August 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM

LOL!

Resist We Much on August 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

And a decent cravat – simply out of the question.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

My goodness. That’s certainly a lot of chitting and chatting from you.

cynccook on August 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

PolAgnostic on August 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

LOL! I’m forwarding this to my priest! :D

cynccook on August 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I predicted, repeatedly, that when grandma and grandpa find out about this the Obama thugs are done.

If only the middle class, minorities and other groups would find them out also, and ‘pitchfork’ them.

I’ll settle for mocking them out of town.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

My goodness. That’s certainly a lot of chitting and chatting from you.

cynccook on August 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

You certainly are difficult to please.

VorDaj on August 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM