Oh my: Romney busts out the white board on Medicare

posted at 6:56 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, who rightly points to Karl’s post here yesterday as anticipating how the GOP will run this Medicare offensive. Normally I think visual aids on the trail risk turning voters off because they’re too self-consciously didactic, but not this time. As Virginia Postrel says, wonking out might be just the ticket:

We’re in another anxious period, and voters are again primed to consider serious policy talk. To play up its team’s strengths as numbers guys, countering the self-congratulatory idea of Democrats as the party of intellect, the Romney campaign could make a gutsy move. It could deploy Ryan to talk to the public at length about the looming fiscal crisis, producing a series of long-form, Perot-style videos. Nowadays the Republicans wouldn’t even need to spend money for prime-time television (although that would certainly get attention). They could rely on YouTube.

One video could lay out the problems; another could explain the plan (which presumes the Romney campaign settles on one); another could address objections or answer questions sent in by viewers. One video might invite Erskine Bowles and Alan Simpson, or Pete Domenici and Alice Rivlin, to explain their bipartisan budget plans, drawing contrasts among the different approaches and identifying common ground. For the finale of each video, or of the series, Romney could join his running mate, giving a top- of-the-ticket endorsement while maintaining his own thematic concentration on jobs…

The American public is in the appropriately desperate frame of mind for a serious policy discussion. The Ryan pick suggests that Romney might be willing to offer one. The alternative is three more months of sniping about tax returns and college transcripts (not to mention how dogs are treated) — attacks on the candidates’ identities rather than their ideas. The times demand better.

As if to prove her point, after today’s white board presser on the stump, reporters pestered Romney with questions about … his tax returns. But never mind that. Pulling out the white board does two things for him. One: It engages voters on policy on a level that rhetoric can’t. It’s essentially a visual cue for seriousness. If Romney’s committed to winning the Medicare debate, he needs to convince voters that the war of words with Obama isn’t election fingerpointing as usual but a real argument over hugely consequential policy differences. The better he is at conveying that, the more the public will resist liberal Mediscaring, I think. Two: It builds on the new identity Romney’s forged for himself as a policy wonk by picking Ryan as VP. I flagged that in my very first post after Ryan was announced: It felt like, until last week, Mitt’s campaign had been about nothing in particular except how bad Obama’s been on the economy. Now, suddenly, he’s an entitlement reformer par excellence, bold enough that he’s actually willing to bust out a de facto blackboard for his cause. I imagine undecided voters look at that and feel a frisson of technocratic competence, even if they’re not following along with every last number. That’s an essential feeling for them to have before they make the leap of replacing a sitting president with a challenger.

Speaking of boldness on Medicare, Paul Ryan’s headed to Florida’s biggest retirement community this weekend to make the pitch. Also attending: His Medicare-using, Florida-residing septuagenarian mother. Awesome. Exit quotation: “Hey Paul! Good luck! Kick ass!”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

A Progressive fighting Veep-nominee

A Prez-nominee using a whiteboard talking about bankruptcy

Beck has beaten the establishment. Hallelujah.

budfox on August 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Will Obama steal the election?

John the Libertarian on August 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM

No. He has already stolen enough from America, and we’re not stupid.

Key West Reader on August 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You mean some people only use one line in the dollar sign? Maybe that’s meant to be reflective of the dollar’s decline in value as well.

Hell, even my Mac keyboard has just one line, see: $. It’s over, I tell you, it’s over.

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 7:46

why, how many they should be? It’s always been one line on the dollar sin ever since I used computer and tech gadgets keyboards…

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I’m thinking that Michael Steele is one of these Republican operatives who is secretly undermining the Ryan pick.

shannon76 on August 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Roe Conn and Richard Roeper have him on once a week on WLS 890AM (Chicago!) on their afternoon drive show, and I think you’re right, shannon76.

Well, at least he gave us “Drill, baby, drill!”, which is possibly the catchiest call I’ve ever heard for domestic energy production.

JimLennon on August 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Any Romney PAC want to pickup on this :
—–
Hussein doesn’t even take care of his own family in their sickness ,
ya think he will take care of your granma ?

burrata on August 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

oups, dollar sign not dollar sin :-)…no Freudian slip there :-)…

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I was hoping Romney would at some point break out a version of a Powerpoint presentation to underscore his seriousness.

Once again, he does not disappoint.

The Ugly American on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Richie Rich’s money had 2 dollar signs and I’ll be damned if he thinks his money is better than mine!

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I wonder if anyone in the Press will now ask Pantload if he would like to demonstrate, a la white board, his plan…?

… Come on Jake, I know you have it in you!

Seven Percent Solution on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

He’s going Ross Perot, but it a good way. :)

Love it!

It the battle of BRAINS and BEAUTY, RomenRyan2012 dominates!

Mutnodjmet on August 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM

OOOH!!! That’s gonna leave a mark.

I bet the O BS campaign hates white boards.

Speakup on August 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Two intellects trying to save our country and restore dignity to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave in a manner that can be grasped by all of those who thirst for the truth.

Thank you Jesus.

hillsoftx on August 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM

At this rate, Ryan will break out PowerPoint for his convention speech.

Which would be hilariously and wonkishly awesome.

JimLennon on August 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM

as long as it’s not SPSS or STATA :-)…

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Clearly, we now have Adults running on our side.

Yaaay, us! It’s about time.

Obama/Biden have nuttin’ ..unless they “Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran” in October as we redneck gun-totin’ bible thumpers have wanted since 1979 – trying to save their electoral Bacon.

I don’t think even Obama is cynical and jaded enough to save his skinny butt by helping Israel.

Who is John Galt on August 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

He’s like Ross Perot, except his opponent’s stuck with Stockdale.

EddieC on August 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Yeah and Scroooge McDuck too.

Deanna on August 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM

far far FAR too elitist for HA!

das411 on August 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

… Come on Jake, I know you have it in you!

Seven Percent Solution on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Michael Ramirez already did yesterday

hillsoftx on August 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

[lorien1973 on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM]

I’ll second that!
Mr. McDuck

Dusty on August 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Handwritten, it’s always had two lines, and I honestly don’t know when the change to one line was made. Maybe it started with the typewriter, to save ribbon, I don’t know. All I know is that I was taught to write the dollar sign with two lines struck through the S.

We need to get Mary Katharine or Stossel on this, stat.

TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Yeah and Scroooge McDuck too.

[Deanna on August 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM]

Aw, you beat me to it.

Dusty on August 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I thought it was a “U” over an “S”, which became an “S” with two lines through it, which became an “S” with a single line through it.

EddieC on August 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Ya know, the Choom Gang didn’t pay taxes on all the weed they smoked. That would be State and Federal tax. Zero. just sayin.

oprockwell on August 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

shannon76 on August 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Absolutely.

rrpjr on August 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Anyone else noticing the dichotomy of Romney and Ryan calmly explaining things to group of people in a conversational tone, and Obama and Biden almost yelling, exhorting?

MarkT on August 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM

[TXUS on August 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM]

Yup, if you skim through photos of antique cash registers or vintage receipts you’ll find where they do show up, it’s with the double stroke.

I think it comes from the US Mint in that their bags had the U overstruck on the S such that the double stroke became the common way of writing the symbol. I have a really old typewriter which has the double stroke, so it’s not purely the mechanical age that caused the switch.

Dusty on August 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

shannon76 on August 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Absolutely.

rrpjr on August 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Steele is a patented idiot, with an intellect similar to Biden’s.

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

PS the irony of using TPM video on this is appreciated.

MarkT on August 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Obama does March Madness basketball picks; Romney does Medicare. SECOND LOOK AT GRAVITAS!

Buy Danish on August 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM

white board

black marker

=

racist dog whistle

GO MITT

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m very impressed! Go Mitt! Go Ryan. You’re busting Their balls. Dear Leader (and Mooochelle) will be insulted. Sheriff Joe will be trying to figure out what state and century he is in.

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Wait a minute, wait a minute!!! Love the clip but it is from MSNBC snd Talking Points Memo???????? WTH

bluealice on August 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

One more thing the media hacks don’t seem to get:

People are more worried about their own tax returns than they are about Mitt Romney’s.

IndieDogg on August 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

… Come on Jake, I know you have it in you!

Seven Percent Solution on August 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM

That would make my day. Heck, that would make my whole month

JusDreamin on August 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

How many of you know the two lines in the dollar sign is because it means a U superimposed over an S standing for USA?

GardenGnome on August 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Why is Romney in SC?

jp on August 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Compare
and
contrast
:O

burrata on August 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Any Romney PAC want to pickup on this :
—–
Hussein doesn’t even take care of his own family in their sickness ,
ya think he will take care of your granma ?

burrata on August 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

you’re on fire 2nite, burrata

bravo

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

you guys are kidding me right. roves lap dog gets up and with a board and a marker (messing up the #) thinks that a filthy rich white guy is going to get down with the peeps.

LOL. mitt romney (hey if worked in 2004 why wouldn’t it work today?)

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Sir/Madame: do your realize the illiteracy of what you just posted? Put down the Obama endorsed bong and chill. Strongly suggest you go back to Axlegrease and get talking points that you can simply cut and paste. Do not try to banter based on your own limited skill set. Axle can help you…he has talking points that the most illiterate can use…if they know how to cut and paste. Hope you can find a real meaning in life.

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM

hey don’t get me wrong. the white chalkboard, so that even the most stupid prol can understand. since i mitt romney the rich guy knows better than the rest of you whats good for you.

its condescending and reveals how far in the tank romney is with rove.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

LOL. mitt romney (hey if worked in 2004 why wouldn’t it work today?)

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

That’s the best you’ve got?

Defend these (just to name a few):

Navy corpse-man

I’ve now been in 57 states — I think one left to go.

Hawaii is in Asia

We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad.

I don’t know what the term is in Austrian

On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes — and I see many of them in the audience here today — our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No doubt you have a long history of loathing “filthy rich white guys” like FDR, JFK, LBJ, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry and John Edwards (to name a few).

Buy Danish on August 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

White board is very unthreatening to seniors – good medium.

Romney still needs to hammer no changes whatsoever for anyone over 55.

matthew8787 on August 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

It’s prole not prol. Apparently Mitt has to dumb things down for the likes of….you.

Buy Danish on August 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

LOL. mitt romney (hey if worked in 2004 why wouldn’t it work today?)

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I only saw the top of this quote and knew immediately it was yours.

New material is needed.

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Blah , blah, blah, and blah.

What a waste of time you are.

CW on August 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Normally, I don’t feed the trolls, but I’ll make an exception. If you’re going to be a troll, please do a better job. I mean it. You’re such an awful troll, that you’re just plain boring.

PopsRacer on August 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let’s see, what brilliant predictions were you making about Ryan yesterday? Oh yeah:

the next polls will come out with him standing next to a squish. looking like 2008 more and more.

renalin on August 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Florida voters are more afraid of President Obama’s health care overhaul than Paul Ryan’s budget plan when it comes to Medicare’s future, according to a Rasmussen Reports poll released Thursday.

The poll also asked Floridians whether they prefer Obama or Romney. The results were roughly even, with 45 percent choosing Romney and 43 percent choosing Obama.

Flora Duh on August 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Don’t know if this has been cited already but:

Whiteboards. They’ve taken the place of blackboards in too many classrooms. #ThingsToureThinksAreRacist

— benshapiro (@benshapiro) August 16, 2012

Buy Danish on August 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

‘ It’s essentially a visual cue for seriousness.’

LMFAO. Karl Rove had me convinced it was a ‘visual cue for shoestring budget and lack of graphics support by FoxNews’

rayra on August 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

white board

black marker

=

racist dog whistle

GO MITT

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

GrannyDee, you beat me to the punch. This is so obviously racist, Toure and the MSNBC crowd will be wetting their pants. You know what else was racist about this? That tie… it is obviously appealing to low income racists who want to shoot Mexicans and put AA’s back in chains.

wcwindbag on August 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I love it!

txhsmom on August 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Flora Duh on August 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

lets see in a few weeks shall we.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

and i thought all along that the gop was suppose to be a big tent.

conservatives sit in the back in this party.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

lets see in a few weeks shall we.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

More blah, blah, blah. You rank up there with the dumbest posters. Congrats. Ipalin would love to have you knock her out of the top five.

CW on August 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

onservatives sit in the back in this party.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Polly says blah.

CW on August 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM

and i thought all along that the gop was suppose to be a big tent.

conservatives sit in the back in this party.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You are rapidly becoming a blithering idiot.

chewmeister on August 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

CW on August 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM

as you know mitt now says he paid no less than 13% tax for the past 10 years.

Why didn’t he keep his mouth shut and stand on principles. nope. he caved once again. i had my fill of wafflers with mccain. won’t make the same mistake again.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Priorities USA is responsible for the content of this troll.

nobar on August 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

nobar on August 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

why doesn’t it even enter your conciousness that i’m a po’ed conservative?

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Priorities USA is responsible for the content of this troll.

nobar on August 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

*snort*

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

why doesn’t it even enter your conciousness that i’m a po’ed conservative?

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

You may be po’ed, but the rest of us are tired of being p’d on.

That’s why.

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM

LOVE THE WHITE BOARD !

If I ran for office, that is just how I would do it; someone attacks me; I break down their policy and mine and the results on put that stuff up so everyone can see and note.

That’s the way you get people to see your side, if you can teach your views; you’ve got a winning argument.

cougar on August 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

why doesn’t it even enter your conciousness that i’m a po’ed conservative?

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

After seeing renalin’s constant desperate, illogical, unhinged and frankly childish bashing (allegedly in the name of supposed “po’d conservatives”) of Mitt and Paul Ryan in all these threads, it’s clear that renalin is nothing but an Obama supporter who wants to stir up trouble.

I used to believe that renalin was truly a conservative and a Sarah Palin superfan. I apologize to the genuine Palin fans for grouping fakes like renalin in with the real Palin fans. People like LevinFan, ProudPalinFan, etc. don’t deserve to be tainted by Obama-supporting trolls like renalin.

bluegill on August 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

LOVE THE WHITE BOARD !

cougar on August 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I loved it, too!

Mitt laid out the information very clearly and effectively. His reassuring demeanor comes off very well.

bluegill on August 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This is an absolute and total winner. Completely brilliant.

paul1149 on August 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

So excellent.

RedNewEnglander on August 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

So, I am at work today (where we are not able to talk politics AT ALL, EVER, but for some reason it is okay with Obama and democrats)

Anyway, one of my co workers still drinking the Obama Kool-Aide says “all you people voting against Obama got a problem with the black people” (word per word) So after a lengthy discussion in which he didn’t understand what I was talking about anyway, I say ” okay, lets take Obama out of the equation along with his skin color, why does Obama surround himself with the most ignorant, stupid, vile, white people that I have ever seen?” He really didn’t have an answer.

shar61 on August 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I loved it, too!

bluegill on August 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Likewise, I loved it, too!

One of the hallmarks of a great public speaker and good teacher is to know your material forwards, backwards, inside and out. This is what captures the attention of the audience and keeps them “with you” as your laying out your talking points.

Using visual aids is also an excellent idea. It helps the audience to relate to you, see your talking points and then remember what you’ve said. Not only that, but now that Mitt is using the whiteboard, I’ll bet wherever he speaks next the audiences will have pen and paper at hand to take notes.

All in all, this was such a brilliant move on Mitt’s part. And all without a teleprompter!

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

bluegill on August 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

and a nice evening to you. we need a president with a steel spine, not one made with a noodle. if the former wins then our country loses.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

latter wins:)

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM

shar61 on August 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

+1000. I must remember this the next time my lib acquaintances bring up the race issue.

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

How bad are things when little victories like this get me all misty?

We are gonna win this one, and this grown man is going to cry like a baby because this reign of terror is finally over.

Mitt and Paul are bringing thier A game, and I’m loving it.

wolly4321 on August 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

We have the facts and the Math on our side… we should be happy that our Romney/Ryan ticket know the numbers and math unlike the welfare queens agitator and his VP clown who cannot add 2+2 together…

mnjg on August 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

lets see in a few weeks shall we.

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m looking forward to it.

Flora Duh on August 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

shar61 on August 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Yep, I hear the same things. It’s pretty embarrassing. They have been sounding scared lately and make it all about race. They get sooo worked up and upset when anyone mentions any criticism of Obama. I don’t dare saying a single word about my own political views, though, because I know what the reaction would be. Whenever politics comes up I just play dumb about everything and act like I don’t even know there’s an election approaching. You’re braver than I.

Can’t wait for November 7. :-)

bluegill on August 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

At this rate, Ryan will break out PowerPoint for his convention speech.
Which would be hilariously and wonkishly awesome.
JimLennon on August 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM
as long as it’s not SPSS or STATA :-)…
jimver on August 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

It would be even better if he did it Steve Jobs-style with Keynote.

“Introducing….iMath.”

Lord of the Wings on August 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I’m looking forward to it.

Flora Duh on August 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Still haven’t seen JPeterman. Have you?

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Still haven’t seen JPeterman. Have you?

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

No, I haven’t.

Flora Duh on August 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I love the whiteboard and actually use it to outline my plan when I arrive at a new client.

I am a consultant and NO client would ever hire me if they did not have a problem, or thought they could do it better in house.

That being said the whiteboard session is a great learning tool about the client infrastructure.

The whiteboard session is all about teaching/learning and from that we are able to come up with a new plan.

F15Mech on August 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM

No, I haven’t.

Flora Duh on August 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Maybe he’ll show at QOTD. I still have it clip boarded for him from you. ; )

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

It leaves me wondering, though. Just HOW does Romney keep current benefits for Srs AND make the program solvent for the future? If he can explain that in 30 seconds, it’s game over for Obama.

skydaddy on August 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Romney has succeeded in doing something that obama will never be able to do and that is intelligently use the whiteboard to make his point. What next? The EPA will ban the whiteboard.

cpasherry on August 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

At this rate, Ryan will break out PowerPoint for his convention speech.
Which would be hilariously and wonkishly awesome.
JimLennon on August 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM
as long as it’s not SPSS or STATA :-)…
jimver on August 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

It would be even better if he did it Steve Jobs-style with Keynote.

“Introducing….iMath.”

Lord of the Wings on August 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I love it!!

I’m pretty good at PP, I’d love to volunteer to build one for him!

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

The force is strong with this one. That whiteboard rocks.

I have to say, I was not a Romney fan early in the game, but dang. I am more impressed everyday. He really might be the guy who saves us from Obama.

bitsy on August 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM

renalin

Things must really be bad. Is this the best that Axle can come up with? It should not be that hard to find trolls that are somewhat proficient with the English language. The challenge, I would think, is finding a troll that can spew Dear Leader’s talking points in a somewhat intelligent way. This troll fails in so many ways. Ok, I’ll quit feeding him/her/it.

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

skydaddy on August 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

He’s going to offer the sub 55 crowd a gradual buy out through premium enhancement and semi-privatize the benefits.

It’ll hurt until the hybrid money pool gets going, but once that happens you’ll have genuine free market price influence reintroduced into medical care.

That is probably the ONLY way to get medical care expenses under control.

Think of it this way.

in the 1960s it was stated by the comproteoller and actuary of medicare that by 1990 the program would cost 9 billion dollars thanks to the stabilizing influence on price structure the federal government having control of the purse would incur.

It cost 67 billion.

Medicare has never performed more economically than a competing private plan pound for pound, and this fact more than anything belies the “price stabilizer” impact of Obamacare. Simply flooding the zone with a money pool does not influence any price structure, because you need bargaining and contract being matched to utility in a fluid environment. Obamacare undermines the fluidity of cost analysis by forcing in destabilizing datapoints like forcing the acceptance of pre-existing conditions which drives the actuary to eat his abacus.

Romney is betting on the hybrid pool offering better performance leading to demands down the pike that we get the ability to buy “more freedom” by waiving benefit payoff for reduced benefit as a direct source later.

Unless I miss my guess….besides he is running against a guy who “hoped and changed” his way to hijacking about a trillion or so from an entitlement pool….

the notion Romney owes the Media and the DNC a point by point I am ROMNEY THIS SHALL BE! plan is funny….

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Glenn Beck hardest hit.

BKennedy on August 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Glenn Beck hardest hit.

BKennedy on August 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I thought the same thing!

I haven’t listened to GB in a while, is he Pro/Con Romney/Ryan?

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Romney used a WHITE board!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIIISSSSSSSSSTTTTTT!!!

csdeven on August 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Awesome!

Even if most people don’t pay attention to the details, Romney
has painted himself as serious about our economy and other issues.

And after all the corruption in the Obama admin, voters are looking for some serious.

Amjean on August 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Wonk out Romney. Also please wonk out during the debate. You’re not going to win the debates on charms so wonk out instead.

terryannonline

Romney knows this, that’s one of the reasons he picked Ryan. They’re a good blend.

RR have also picked the tone of this election to a T. It’s not about identity politics, it’s not about being cool and fooling the idiots. It’s a serious time with serious problems, and we need serious people to solve them*.

Plus it helps if you are actually competent with the whiteboard and can get your point across with precision and punch. Mittens did good.

*Take that Sorkin.

Ozwitch on August 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I still can’t figure out what is the cutoff date for being 55, though. That is an important detail to people born in 1957, 1958, I’d think, anyway.

Bob's Kid on August 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Bob’s Kid on August 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

It’s not hardset. It’s more like a barometer.

Romney or Ryan said this past week they believe that once they have the full data, it will actually slide to 52. If they get it to 52, then they’ll just eat the last two years and make it 50.

budfox on August 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Bob’s Kid on August 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Seriously? I’m 50 and do not expect squat, from any gov’t agency…

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Bob’s Kid on August 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

It may be less important that you think. If there’s one aptitude demonstrated by today’s health insurance companies, it’s dexterity at tailoring plans and benefits to target specific patient profiles. Under the incentives of the Ryan plan, those incentives will change and insurance companies will adapt accordingly:

“Classic” Medicare will still be around — but it might be a sinking ship
The first thing Ryan always tells seniors about his Medicare plan is, if you’re already in the program or near retirement, don’t worry — we leave you alone. The changes don’t start until 2023, for people who are currently under age 55. That assumes Medicare can really stay just like it is, even if other people are bailing out of the ship.
In a report last year, Third Way, a centrist Democratic think tank, warned that doctors would start leaving traditional Medicare if there are other options — especially since a lot of them don’t think Medicare pays enough now. So seniors would be able to stay in traditional Medicare as long as they want — but that doesn’t mean they will find doctors to treat them.
It might not be the same benefits
The latest Ryan plan says the new private health plans would have to cover “the actuarial equivalent” of Medicare benefits. So here’s the fine print: that means they might not have to be the same actual benefits.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79584_Page2.html#ixzz23lmtHIvB

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Seriously? I’m 50 and do not expect squat, from any gov’t agency…

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Sorry, I should have added, at least I hope so…

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Charts? You like charts?

Paul Ryan is the CHART KING!

The Path to Prosperity (Episode 1)

ignatzk on August 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM