Oh my: Romney busts out the white board on Medicare

posted at 6:56 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, who rightly points to Karl’s post here yesterday as anticipating how the GOP will run this Medicare offensive. Normally I think visual aids on the trail risk turning voters off because they’re too self-consciously didactic, but not this time. As Virginia Postrel says, wonking out might be just the ticket:

We’re in another anxious period, and voters are again primed to consider serious policy talk. To play up its team’s strengths as numbers guys, countering the self-congratulatory idea of Democrats as the party of intellect, the Romney campaign could make a gutsy move. It could deploy Ryan to talk to the public at length about the looming fiscal crisis, producing a series of long-form, Perot-style videos. Nowadays the Republicans wouldn’t even need to spend money for prime-time television (although that would certainly get attention). They could rely on YouTube.

One video could lay out the problems; another could explain the plan (which presumes the Romney campaign settles on one); another could address objections or answer questions sent in by viewers. One video might invite Erskine Bowles and Alan Simpson, or Pete Domenici and Alice Rivlin, to explain their bipartisan budget plans, drawing contrasts among the different approaches and identifying common ground. For the finale of each video, or of the series, Romney could join his running mate, giving a top- of-the-ticket endorsement while maintaining his own thematic concentration on jobs…

The American public is in the appropriately desperate frame of mind for a serious policy discussion. The Ryan pick suggests that Romney might be willing to offer one. The alternative is three more months of sniping about tax returns and college transcripts (not to mention how dogs are treated) — attacks on the candidates’ identities rather than their ideas. The times demand better.

As if to prove her point, after today’s white board presser on the stump, reporters pestered Romney with questions about … his tax returns. But never mind that. Pulling out the white board does two things for him. One: It engages voters on policy on a level that rhetoric can’t. It’s essentially a visual cue for seriousness. If Romney’s committed to winning the Medicare debate, he needs to convince voters that the war of words with Obama isn’t election fingerpointing as usual but a real argument over hugely consequential policy differences. The better he is at conveying that, the more the public will resist liberal Mediscaring, I think. Two: It builds on the new identity Romney’s forged for himself as a policy wonk by picking Ryan as VP. I flagged that in my very first post after Ryan was announced: It felt like, until last week, Mitt’s campaign had been about nothing in particular except how bad Obama’s been on the economy. Now, suddenly, he’s an entitlement reformer par excellence, bold enough that he’s actually willing to bust out a de facto blackboard for his cause. I imagine undecided voters look at that and feel a frisson of technocratic competence, even if they’re not following along with every last number. That’s an essential feeling for them to have before they make the leap of replacing a sitting president with a challenger.

Speaking of boldness on Medicare, Paul Ryan’s headed to Florida’s biggest retirement community this weekend to make the pitch. Also attending: His Medicare-using, Florida-residing septuagenarian mother. Awesome. Exit quotation: “Hey Paul! Good luck! Kick ass!”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I still can’t figure out what is the cutoff date for being 55, though. That is an important detail to people born in 1957, 1958, I’d think, anyway.

Bob’s Kid on August 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

The probable underlying thesis is you have to make the decision at what point in time you moderate the benefit and introduce the weaning.

Unlike Choom Romney is probably going to take as much time as possible to have a groundwork mechanism in place. Obamacare is still being written for God’s sakes along with Dodd-Frank. Wrap your head around that Nan was NOT lying when she said “you gotta pass it to know what’s in it”…..

I detest these “let’s make it up as we got along by committee wheee” laws….

of course I am old school I hate the alphabet soup bodies of regulatory agencies being gifted with legal cover to whip up regs as full Congressional law as well.

EPA needs hamstrung

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

nobar on August 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

why doesn’t it even enter your conciousness that i’m a po’ed conservative?

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Oh boo hoo. We understand how disheartening it must be for a fanatic like you to see Romney pick Ryan as his running mate. It is inconsistent with your opinion of Mitt. Instead of being angry and stupid about it, you could adult-up and acknowledge that you were wrong about Mitt. He is obviously interested in reforming America’s public spending – as he said he was.

Try to keep the childish outbursts to a minimum. They are annoying.

Basilsbest on August 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Seriously? I’m 50 and do not expect squat, from any gov’t agency…

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’m 40 I KNOW it’s gone.

I’d rather have my freedom and hopefully have enough people calm enough about the system that Gen X and the youngsters can take back our freedom and self-responsibility in total.

Social Security bothers me than Medicare but I support semi-privatizing both.

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM

He knows the highest school drop out rate if in the African American community…obviously a racist presentation.

right2bright on August 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Try to keep the childish outbursts to a minimum. They are annoying.

Basilsbest on August 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I am past caring about what any of the ABRs say whether Paulnuts, SARAH!, or undercover Choom operatives.

It is to late for perfect to make good enough wait and the stakes are too high. We have a real chance to fix this since Romney has good character, good business sense, obvious cunning, and grasped that Barack had broken faith by raiding Medicare and broken faith with ALL American workers.

BOOM!

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM

why doesn’t it even enter your conciousness that i’m a po’ed conservative?

renalin on August 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

1) Conservatives care about their education. Your grammar is horrible, which says that you’re somewhere under 25.

2) In other posts, you discussed “a filthy rich white guy” and “mitt romney the rich guy.” No self-respecting conservative hates on the successful like you do.

Conclusion: you’re an OWS loser.

beatcanvas on August 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’m 40 I KNOW it’s gone.

Social Security bothers me than Medicare but I support semi-privatizing both.

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM

It will all be there, and more…as the baby boomers get older, they do “suck” the life out of medicare and SS, but than they begin to die off…fast, figure in about 5-10 years it peaks, than begins to rapidly fall off as we die (I am a boomer)…year 15 from now, you will be better off…in 20 years, much better 30 years, we will be about 98% dead, gone, and you will have all of your money, and empty hospitals, empty retirement homes…just like the schools closing after the boomers graduated.
In the city I grew up, 4 grammar schools, 2 junior high schools, and one high school closed because of lack of students…the schools that grew? Inner city with “immigrant” students.

right2bright on August 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

right2bright on August 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I agree, but why not let them freak out for a while?

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Try to keep the childish outbursts to a minimum. They are annoying.

Basilsbest on August 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Lol! I suspect the irony escapes you. Funny beta boy.

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I hope you will allow me to save that retort away for which to be more confident as I explain to the higher-ups in a formal fashion. That’s good advice.

mickytx on August 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Nope because from what I have seen the MATH! says that the boomers thus far have demanded the same growth in benefit through COLA that the ww2/silent gen got.

I would like to roll the dice, but I can’t especially not with the ongoing IOU raids and the severe skyrocketing of SSDI claims.

I’ll take the suckers’ bet and try to wean America off the FDR LBJ long con.

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Super Mitt and a teachable moment here ? Whoa for sure…….axelfraud scheming, how do we offset that???

- 20 years later that sucking sound is still going on.

Hold on to your hats for sure.

FlaMurph on August 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I thought the same thing!

I haven’t listened to GB in a while, is he Pro/Con Romney/Ryan?

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM

“Mitt Romney… Not a Commie.”

Beck is mildly supportive, and he understands the magnitude of the election. Romney is not as fiscally conservative as he would like, but Beck understands that Romney doesn’t think government is the fulcrum of society.

BKennedy on August 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Try to keep the childish outbursts to a minimum. They are annoying.

Basilsbest on August 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Lol! I suspect the irony escapes you. Funny beta boy.

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Still smarting from your latest lesson I see. You called Mitt weak – despite all the evidence to the contrary – and then when I called you on it you whined that I attacked you for making the slightest criticism of Romney. Calling Romney weak is slight criticism? Sure, punk.

So the only irony here is a weak punk like you
calling someone 30 years your senior a beta boy.

I enthusiastically supported Romney on this site when it wasn’t popular. You still don’t appreciate his talents. That makes you not too bright and the real beta boy.

Basilsbest on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Obamacare is a disaster for reasons nobody much understands. It presumes the existence of computer systems to administer it that simply can’t be built in the time allotted. The insurance exchanges don’t exist and the systems to support them can’t be built in time.

I’ve been in healthcare computing since 1998. It is incredibly complex and nothing happens overnight. There is no way government agencies can build the systems that will be required on day one to administer the exchanges.

The Obama Administration pushed out most of the implementation of Obamacare to 2013 and beyond. Should they stay in power we will witness a SNAFU beyond belief.

PatJDooley on August 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

The “big risky gamble” is that the American people will finally admit our entitlement system is an unsustainable part of our deficit crisis and that without reform it will crash and take the whole government and economy with it.

Without a popular mandate to do it, reform will never get through Congress – this has been coming and known for over 40 years and the most that’s ever been done is stop-gap measures to kick the can down the road. We are within sight of the dead end, no more places to kick it.

America: cowboy up and put up, or shut up and die.

Adjoran on August 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Basilsbest on August 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Dude you are so thin skinned. Let me explain something to you one more time. I walk lockstep with no one, especially a politician. I am in lockstep with no party. They have both screwed this great Nation. You seem to be under some sort of delusion of grandeur, your opinion is the only legitimate account of fact. It makes you appear a fool. You suggest that which simply isn’t true, a typical knee jerk reaction, caused by being to heavily invested. My idea of a great Conservative candidate and yours do not align. Romney is a good man by all measure. That does not make him a great candidate, a great nom or a great president. You wish casting it doesn’t make it so. You do seem very intent on having others conform to your set of ideas. With the respect earned by you, let me assure you of one thing. I conform to no one. I am of free will. You will never hold bearing over me. Nor shall any mortal man. My best advice to you is to give up the quest for conformity. Or you shall die disappointed. My friends are well within their privladge to address me as punk. You are no friend and little more than an old crank who’s best days are well behind him. You would never say it to my face because you are a cowardly beta male. You know this in your heart to be true. Get a grip old man. I don’t care one microscopic bit what you think of me. My wish is that you not think of me at all. But you cannot help yourself. You are indeed the weak one. For me, you are a funny, funny little man. I enjoy you. Try to give me up, I’m no good for you. You won’t, you can’t. Lol! Funny! Take care beta man. ; )

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Yeah but will he sing the theme song?

NoLeftTurn on August 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

P.S. beta man. I have no idea how old you are, what gender you are, what race you may be, I only no you by your comments. You are just some character on an anonymous blog on the interweb. I am unimpressed. Just my opinion of you. Which is worth exactly what you paid me for it. ; ) See ya.

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Ross Perot got 20% of the vote in 1992 with his pie chart infomercials. I say, bring back those visuals. They worked.

karenhasfreedom on August 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

PJDooley is right, I forgot about the fact that the technology does not exist for obamacare yet. What a freaking nightmare obama and his minions have created.

JustTruth101 on August 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I think I established my credentials in the Primary that I was no Mitt (That’s the House I’m running for the Senate) Romney.
But for crying out loud. There is a Fat Lady over there and She Is Singing.

Mitt’s the Candidate and no matter how much you stomp and tantrum you ain’t doin’ nuthin’ other than re-electing Obama if you don’t figure that out.

Mitt’s been bringing me on board little by little as he establishes that is is NOT John McCain and this isn’t your Whimpout Moderate Campaign he’s waging.

I’m thinking Mitt has some more surprises in store and I’m not a true beleiver at this point, but I believe enough to be enthused about Mitt.

jaydee_007 on August 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Correction;

I think I established my credentials in the Primary that I was no Mitt (That’s the House I’m running for the Senate) Romney Fan.

jaydee_007 on August 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

With all the bombthrowing, race baiting racists out there who see “coded” words under every rock, I wonder how long before one of them calls the “white” board a veiled racist tool.

manjodad on August 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I like the Obama plan. Especially when Romney explains it will go bankrupt.

Why is the GOP trying to save the New Deal from collapsing?

WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING?

ebrawer on August 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Yeah but will he sing the theme song?

NoLeftTurn on August 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Nope, only Bidet is allowed to do that

burrata on August 17, 2012 at 3:43 AM

“Ring the bell, school’s back in. Can’t touch this.”

Gotta love a guy who just lays it out in black and white.

Oh yeah, try to get that song out of your head now, Sucka.

Bigurn on August 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Gosh, the number and tenor of the personal attacks on HA lately seem to really degrade all of us.

Don L on August 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Don L on August 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I agree. Folks need to clean up their act.

Sherman1864 on August 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Now, for the transformation to be complete, Romney and Ryan… heck the entire campaign staff… should be in green eye-shades.

White shirt, black pants, pinstripe vest, green eyeshades… professional.

Take a topic and do a two-minute presentation with a whiteboard is all kinds of awesome. At any debate Romney or Ryan can say ‘if you give me two minutes to explain my position with a whiteboard, I’m more than willing to let my opponent explain the exact, same topic without diverging to any other topic’. And by the time of the debates this will be a chilling challenge to Obama and Biden.

Heck, it would be challenging to anyone on the Left as putting a policy forward to examine its merits, demerits and impacts and show that by using numbers is just far, far out of Leftist competence range. Do it with the green eyeshade attire and the impact is devastating.

ajacksonian on August 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Most people are visual learners. All teachers know this. Even the bad ones.
By the end of every class hour that I lecture, my arm is tired from doodling & writing on the board.
I’m surprised more politicians don’t do things like this.

Speaking of Medicare Advantage: my grandmother who is now 90yo said it was one of the best things regarding these programs that has helped her.
This has helped her save a lot of $$ & let’s her remain more independent.
Grandma doesn’t vote, but I’m encouraging her to this fall.

Badger40 on August 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Whether you like Mitt Romney or not, you have to admit its nice to have a serious adult running for office this time. Obama and company are crapping their diapers.

RobertE on August 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

See? SEE??!!

Why does it have to be a WHITEboard? Why not a BLACKboard?

Romney is obviously a racist.

;-)

TheLoudTalker on August 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I agree. Folks need to clean up their act.

Sherman1864 on August 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Lol!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Do it with the green eyeshade attire and the impact is devastating.

ajacksonian on August 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Perfect! And Funny!

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Don L on August 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I used to think that also Don L. Really though as of late I’ve come to realize that HA is filled with many varied and unique personalities. These online persona’s do not always play well together. My bad behavior is no reflection on this site or you or anyone else for that matter. If this were the case HA would have moved to silence the many amongst us who from time to time suffer these unseemly outbreaks of anger and emotion. With that said my apology’s to you if anything I have done here at HA has been awkward or uncomfortable to you. Tenor is a two way street. For myself I can only say I do not fit well into anyone’s preconceived or concept of how I should think or what I should think and how I shall comport myself here. Nonconformity is my true nature. I will not deny my God given right not to fit into someones else’s mold. Hopefully you will consider this and glean some understanding of my position. Thanks.. ; )

Bmore on August 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM