Did Douglas Wilder attend a Romney fundraiser tonight?

posted at 10:01 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Is the country’s first black governor, a long-time Democrat, now officially part of America’s comeback team? We already knew he was irritated with Biden, but man, I guess we didn’t really know. From today’s interview with Fox News, his second on the network in 48 hours:

I did read something that shocked me today also that I saw — not shocked me. I shouldn’t have been shocked. But Biden said this in 2010. It was in a Washington Post piece today. And they were saying how he is getting ready to deal with Paul Ryan. And in fact in 2010, this is what Biden said about Obama: ‘You know, he is smarter than I thought he was.’ What did that mean? If he is smarter than you thought he was, did you think he was just ordinary? Did you think he was below par? If he is smarter than what you thought he was, what does that mean? Why would you say that two years after the election and the guy that brought you along to a position that you never would have occupied, but for his being there.

Sounds like he’s right on the verge there of accusing Biden of racism. Further evidence that he’s joined the Romney/Ryan camp? Bryan Preston says yes:

At a fundraiser at the Richmond, VA Marriott tonight for the Romney campaign, there was a surprise guest. Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell introduced Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who in turn introduced Rep. Paul Ryan. But before McDonnell took the mic, another figure was acknowledging dignitaries in the crowd. Among those dignitaries addressed from the stage, was former Virginia Gov. Douglas Wilder, according to a Tatler source who was there.

BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller saw the media’s pool report from the fundraiser, though, and says no:

Not sure what to think. If he really is sufficiently committed to Romney that he’d agree to make a splash by attending a fundraiser, why not just own it and tell the press that when they asked why he was there? On the other hand, seems awwwwfully coincidental that a guy who’s been tearing Biden apart on TV this week — and whose criticism was dismissed publicly by Jay Carney at today’s briefing — would mistakenly stumble into an event being held by the other side’s nominee. And do note, Wilder’s Democratic affiliation hasn’t always been determinative. He’s supported at least one Republican in the past and briefly ran for Senate as an independent himself. His political repertoire includes unorthodox moves, although admittedly this one would be very unorthodox.

Two clips for you here, one of Wilder on Fox today and the other a new ad from the RNC saluting President Unity. Exit quotation from Obama in his hard-hitting interview with Entertainment Tonight: “I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bryan Preston says yes:

I miss Bryan.
Will HotAir ever try to lure him back?

itsnotaboutme on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The left is trying to say “He showed up at the wrong hotel.”

Yeah so did Zell Miller in ’04….

Like Gov. Wilder said “we are all Americans”

harlekwin15 on August 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Why not..

Electrongod on August 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

So we have Artur Davis and now Douglas Wilder. Is this a sign that Romney might make inroads into the black voting bloc?

David Marcoe on August 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

That is a horrible GOP.com ad.

If we can get Cory Booker to endorse Mitt…

SouthernGent on August 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Great ad

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

So he was trying to go to a different hotel where McDonnell was supposedly going to be doing some education thing but instead landed at this other hotel where McDonnell actually was…

Gingotts on August 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Nix my last comment. I had a brain fart and was thinking of another politician.

David Marcoe on August 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM

On August 13th, he tweeted:
L. Douglas Wilder ‏@GovernorWilder
I will be in the company of Governors Jindal, McDonnell, and Wise on Wednesday to discuss education reform in RVA: http://bit.ly/TyIBdw

Today is Thursday. He hasn’t said anything particularly positive about Obama recently and he refused to endorse Deeds when he ran against McDonnell. His endorsement would be huge for Romney. Has he seen the light?

GOPRanknFile on August 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Let’s see…….

The former Governor of Virginia who knows every street in Richmond shows up at the wrong hotel?

The Marriott is on Broad Street, right next to the convention center, less than 2 blocks from the Governors mansion and one of only two hotels in the area. It’s where all of the big rally’s are held.

Riiight.

BacaDog on August 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

That Douglas Wilder is a racist.

Flange on August 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

God bless the “Old Dominion”

F15Mech on August 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Everybody is having a good laugh over this one.

Happy Nomad on August 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Artur Davis…

Doug Wilder…

Keep them Coming We welcome you, and we understand why!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on August 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

You know, every time I go to the wrong hotel, I always find it too easy to ignore all signs or staff mentioning a major party fundraiser, or notice all of the GOP dignitaries including at least two sitting governors a Vice-Presidential candidate. It always flusters me so much that instead of seeking directions to the right hotel and leaving, I sit in a prominent place in the crowd for an hour or two and watch the fundraiser play out.

Such things are so easily confused with a meeting of a couple dozen bureaucrats about education.

Gingotts on August 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

This could be a well-planned maneuver by the Obama campaign. If enough black leaders complain about Biden and threaten to walk away from the Obama campaign, it would give Obama the cover he needs to dump Joe “The Oaf” Biden and replace him with Clinton.

I think Obama is worried enough, and I think he sees Clinton as strong enough to save his presidency.

To do this, Obama would have to admit that a) he made a mistake choosing The Oaf, and b) that he’s too weak to save his own presidency and has to have Clinton do it for him.

But I think he may be desperate enough to do it, and time is running out for him.

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

God I love this!!!

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM

“Speak to people as equals”…Amen, Governor Wilder.

d1carter on August 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM

GOPRanknFile on August 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

According to the summit agenda, he was due to be part of a panel with McDonnell, Jindal, and others b/w 7-9 this evening. Since the fundraiser was at the Marriott and the summit at the adjacent convention center, sounds like he just went with McDonnell and Jindal to the fundraiser. If he was acknowledged from the stage at the latter, I doubt he just wandered in there.

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I was looking for the video store…what?…this is the Republican National Convention? …um…sure…I’ll say a few words.

Rational Thought on August 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM

“Speak to people as equals”…Amen, Governor Wilder.

d1carter on August 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM

sounds familiar… where did I hear…?
oh yeah,

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

:) Hope one day we really can do this and stop the division.

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Great soundbites but the gop.com ad needs more “context”… and I’m not being facetious.

de rigueur on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

On Drudge right now:

“Jesse Jackson to endorse Romney!”

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Again, what’s in it for either Clinton? Even if one believes that Hillary intends another run in 2016 (I don’t.) why would she see the best path to that office in attaching her name even more closely to this failed administration? Wouldn’t it be better for her to let Romney win so she can prepare a run that isn’t in a cycle after 8 years of Democrat fatigue?

If Zero dumps Biden, it won’t be for Hillary. Gillibrand, maybe, to play ID politics. Bayh, if he actually decides he gives a crap about being perceived as too far to the left.

Gingotts on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Precisely. This “wrong hotel” business just doesn’t pass the smell test.

GOPRanknFile on August 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Ouch. This has to hurt…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Yup, Doug Wilder obviously is a racist.

What a coup for Romney if he got Wilder’s endorsement. Wonder what Barry did to get in Doug’s bad graces.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Jerk.

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I don’t believe it. I’ve been a VA resident for ten years. Wilder is as liberal and Democrat as they come.

Meryl Yourish on August 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I expect we’ll hear some type of BS spin from Barry. What a crock.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:22 PM

On Drudge right now:

“Jesse Jackson to endorse Romney!”

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Haha

Drudge doesn’t really needs the hits, does he?

ccrosby on August 16, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’ll enjoy this a lot more when I know Slow Joe is sticking around.

stldave on August 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

That Douglas Wilder is a racist.

Flange on August 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

he surely is not black-black, as whoopy would put it :-)…

jimver on August 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Precisely. This “wrong hotel” business just doesn’t pass the smell test.

GOPRanknFile on August 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I think Doug Wilder probably knows Richmond well enough by now to know where he’s going.

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I remember Obama being irritated with Wilder for not endorsing Creigh Deeds in his race against McDonnell despite Obama’s personal plea. I don’t think Wilder cares all that much for Obama.

GOPRanknFile on August 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

On Drudge right now:

“Jesse Jackson to endorse Romney!”

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

You fooled me once, Bishop, a long time ago.

Not. This. Time.

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Maybe this is some backward attempt to get the Bidens to move out of Number One Observatory Circle – the hard way.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Jesse Jackson?

Are there pigs flying?

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

You’ll go look again eventually. They ALL go look again. Oh yes.

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Jesse Jackson was bought and paid for decades ago.

He ain’t goin off da plantation as Mrs. Bill Clinton would say.

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

He went to the wrong hotel long enough to walk into a GOP event and be introduced by the governor. Nope, not buying that story.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

On Drudge right now:

“Jesse Jackson to endorse Romney!”

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

OOOoo Whiplash!!!

AubieJon on August 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

So.. he went to the hotel where McDonnell actually was in attendance, rather than a hotel where he was supposed to be meeting McDonnell for an education event. That doesn’t make sense. Was he terribly early for the educational event? Was McDonnell going to be terribly late to the educational event?

I’d think that Wilder would immediately know the difference between a room full of Democrats and Democrat donors,many of whom he would have recognized and known by name, from a room full of Republicans and Republican donors. Those R&R signs might have been a big clue. Why would he stick around to be introduced if he didn’t wish to lend his presence to the affair?

I’ve got far more questions than answers.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Is Doug Wilder official full slave blood or is he 1/2 white or sum thin?

Paging color police Toure!!!!!!!!

PappyD61 on August 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You’ll go look again eventually. They ALL go look again. Oh yes.

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Damn your eyes!

bofh on August 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Gingotts on August 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

OK, maybe not Clinton. But she has said that she’s definitely not running for office again, so I don’t know what her aspirations are.

And we know that she has a reputation for being a long-suffering heroine for the cause; e.g. Lewinsky. She might decide to take another one for the team.

One of the problems I see for Obama dumping The Oaf for Clinton is that it makes him look weak (which he is), and if Clinton were seen as a savior she would have a lot more power than any normal VP.

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The Honkeyization of Wilder…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I loves me some Gov. Wilder. AND if Biden were to even get it close – it’s “all y’all”. He couldn’t even F it up right.

koaiko on August 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Maybe the world has had enough of Barry’s race-bating politics of hate. Won’t be enough to make him stop it, though.

Doug Wilder smear campaign in 3,2,1…

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM

If they don’t look, they at least earnestly refute. Don’t bother resisting, it won’t save you.

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Punish our enemies
Bitter clingers
Millionaires and Billionaires
You didn’t build that
etc.

Yes, these the catchphrases of a great uniter.

CorporatePiggy on August 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It’s Biden he despises.

“slavery is nothing to joke about”.

wolly4321 on August 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, but at this pace it may become reality by October.

cozmo on August 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM

People need to understand something about Doug Wilder:

He’s an authentic maverick conserva-Dem. Actually quite a bit like Artur Davis, although maybe a bit more slick, likably so (a generational thing, most likely). [em]Pace[/em] Meryl Yourish’s complaint earlier, Wilder wasn’t anyone’s idea of a liberal where it counted, which was tax policy — he ran on a pledge not to raise taxes and he actually kept his word despite a budget crisis in 1990-1991 and the fact that, as a VA governor he didn’t have to worry about reelection (they’re forbidden by law from running for reelection in consecutive terms, which in practice means that they only serve one term).

He’s always had a rocky relationship with the state and national Democratic party, dating back to his refusal to budge on raising taxes and what I’ve always taken to be Wilder’s genuine belief in his own reputation as a cross-party ‘don’t box me in, bro!” sort of politician. He all-but-endorsed Bob McDonnell in 2009, and you’ve seen his latest greatest hits w/Neil Cavuto in recent days.

Therefore, don’t believe for one second the whole “oh noes I totally got lost and went to the wrong hotel in a town where I was born and raised and served as Lt. Governor, Governor, and mayor” story. It’s a tissue-thin pretext and Doug Wilder wholly intends it as such: he’s toying with the Democrats. Will he endorse Romney? Probably not, at least not outright. (He may pull a Creigh Deeds, however, and refuse to back Obama.) What he’s doing is, in his own way, sending a pointed message to the Obama campaign: “this race-baiting crap has got to stop, and if it doesn’t just watch me send Northern Virginia’s swing vote tumbling to Romney/Ryan with my endorsement.”

Because make no mistake: Doug Wilder is still a very popular, VERY well respected name in Virginia, among moderates and crossover voters in NoVA and Richmond in particular. His pointed refusal to endorse Deeds and conspicuous praise of McDonnell (falling short of outright endorsement) was widely viewed as a key element that helped McDonnell run up such massive margins in 2009 (particularly in Fairfax County) and, as much as partisan Dems HATE HIS GUTS — for stunts like this — he can swing voters off the fence. Lots of people still like Doug.

Heck, I still like Doug.

Esoteric on August 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

And because Sarah Palin told him to!!!

It’s been a good week for Mitt.

Ozwitch on August 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Need more popcorn.

KCB on August 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Esoteric on August 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Interesting. Thanks.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

When Sarah told him to get rid of slow Joe, I laughed my ass off. No way in hell he could get rid of him now.

KCB on August 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I’ve known Doug Wilder for over 30 years. He is first and foremost for himself. With that said he is a very astute politician who doesn’t suffer fools like Biden. Doug is frustrating, feisty, and contrary but he was also a successful Governor. He likes to bask in the limelight and the Dems never reached out to him after the 2008. In the end I think he’ll support the Dems, however one can’t rule out that Doug Wilder just might like being a wildcard.

olde forester on August 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM

But he’s not really black. Is he?

MustLoveBlogs on August 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Barry will do whatever it takes to get elected, including dumping Slow Joe from the ticket. I’m sure Valerie Jarrett and David Astroturf are cooking up a way to spin it. It won’t work and will shriek desperation, but they’ll at least plan the scenario. Maybe Joe will resign to spend more time with his family.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Maybe Doug just wants some attention.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

A spin on the “Wilder effect”

Dingbat63 on August 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM

…If we can get Cory Booker to endorse Mitt…
SouthernGent on August 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Wouldn’t help, Gent.

Saw Cory Booker on MSNBC last night on Piers Morgan ( I suffer from insomnia). Poor man was shilling for Obama like a puppy that’s been locked out of the house for pooping on the rug. Booker is terribly diminished after that “hostage video” he did. It was kinda pitiful.

Actually, it was really awfully pitiful.

marybel on August 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You’ll go look again eventually. They ALL go look again. Oh yes.

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

You got me.

HawaiiLwyr on August 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Esoteric on August 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

New data for me. Thanks.

marybel on August 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM

David Marcoe on August 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This is your brain on drugs.

Alabama Infidel on August 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

He showed up at the wrong hotel by mistake???? Or he showed up at the wrong hotel because the DND would’ve never wanted him to go there but he did????

ted c on August 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM

dnd=dnc

ted c on August 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM

If we can get Cory Booker to endorse Mitt…

SouthernGent on August 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

If Mitt offers a solid reform of urban school system without slaughtering the sacred cow of public education, he just might.

Archivarix on August 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM

yep, very curious….very curious indeed.

ted c on August 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM

You fooled me once, Bishop, a long time ago.

Not. This. Time.

GrannyDee on August 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Me too. I think it was Supreme Court day.

Night Owl on August 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM

oh yeah, wooops! lookie, how the heck did i find myself in a what?? a paul ryan, bob mcdonnell republican event???? how the…..?
/mistakes

ted c on August 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Pool: Gov. Wilder was at the hotel, but he was apparently planning to attend Gov. McDonnell’s education summit and went to the wrong hotel.

— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) August 17, 2012

Why would he go to a hotel wrong, one or not. The Education Summit was at the Richmond Convention Center down the street, not at a hotel.

Dusty on August 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I always wondered when some Black leaders would wake up and smell the coffee that Democrats have been getting the Black vote and not giving much in return. Could Gov. Wilder be the start of a small trend, we will have to wait to be sure.

banzaibob on August 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Which brings up another point. Wilder was going to be a participant in the Governors Panel during the dinner time program 7-9PM which would also have Jindal and McDonnell participating (along with another former Gov Bob Wise from WV), both of whom were still at the Marriott.

Why’d he go over there?

Dusty on August 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM

David Marcoe on August 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Hahahahahahahaha…

My how I envy your naivety.

ButterflyDragon on August 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Did you look at Gov. Wilder’s twitter feed?

crosspatch on August 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I don’t understand it. It looks like everybody tweets on his twitter page except Wilder. What’s up with that?

Dusty on August 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

This is your brain on drugs.
Alabama Infidel on August 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

If Mitt gets even 3% of the black vote to switch I think Obama’s toast, but I think Obama’s toast anyway.

txhsmom on August 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Leftists are the biggest racists/bigots in the world.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

txhsmom on August 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Oh, I’m looking at figuring that he’ll get a lot more than that. Yes, there is a “Bloc” of those that will vote for Obama, but i think Romney & Ryan can both make the case that will bring out more of the Independent Black voters & some of the last minute deciders.

If i had to put a number to it, i’d say at least 10-12%…But i sure the undecided voter base will be alot larger than it was in 2008.

BlaxPac on August 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Leftists are the biggest racists/bigots in the world.

Schadenfreude on August 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Sadly Furiously, AMEN, brother.

RushBaby on August 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Joe Biden repels anyone who has common sense…

I am sure even Bill Clinton, not matter what any of us think of him, if given truth serum (truth is something he likes to hide) would say Obama and Biden are idiots.

William Eaton on August 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

What a thrill it would be if Obama switched to Hillary. Her ethical baggage could sink a battleship. It’d be sure to sink Obama’s chances of reelection.

Pythagoras on August 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM

In the interview with Cavuto Wilder said Obama has gone too far left but he thinks with a Republican Congress in a second term he’d have to come to the middle.

When asked on another network (CNN maybe) whether he was voting for Obama he didn’t say yes or no but that he has supported Obama all along.

Both are a savvy politician’s non-answers if anyone is looking for a definitive yes or no.

My feeling is that if Wilder doesn’t say specifically he’s voting for Obama, he’s open to voting for Romney. Whether he’s actually made up his mind or not is still up in the air I presume.

MaggiePoo on August 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You’ll go look again eventually. They ALL go look again. Oh yes.

Bishop on August 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

sigh…you got me LOL

dmacleo on August 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Wilder called Biden a tar baby!

lolol

That should make some leftie heads explode.

soundingboard on August 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

If this keeps up, Biden may decide to dump Obama!

UnderstandingisPower on August 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

On Drudge right now:

“Jesse Jackson to endorse Romney!”

TROLOLOL

aebloo on August 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

dmacleo on August 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Don’t feel lonely.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

..raise your hand out there in HG land if you hate — and I really, really mean despise with a white hot passion — THE FETUS, a.k.a, Jay Carney.

FEEL THE ENMITY!

I can hardly wait for this puerile, sniveling little infant’s testicles to drop just so I can kick them back up from whence the came.

The War Planner on August 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

the real ‘whoa’
Must Watch: Kira Davis’ open letter to MSNBC host Touré

pat on August 17, 2012 at 2:58 AM

soundingboard on August 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM
You know, in reality the term “Tar Baby” has nothing to do with skin color. It means a sticky problem that won’t go away.
It is the bizarre race baiters that turn such innocent phrases into racist metaphors, analogies, synonyms, etc. Liberals all.

pat on August 17, 2012 at 3:02 AM

We might have a little hesitancy before we cheer the fact that a highly recognized liberal likes Romney. It might just reflect less upon Obama’s extremism and more upon Mitt’s history of being a moderate.

Changing a sinking boat for one with gas fumes everywhere might not be something for which we get comfortable enough to we light the celebratory candles and break out the champaign,

Don L on August 17, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Pythagoras on August 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Ethical baggage in todays morally corrupt society, have a funny way of becoming resume enhancers.

Don L on August 17, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Wonder what Barry did to get in Doug’s bad graces.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Have you seen black unemployment rates recently?

When an economy is bad, those at lower SES levels are hit hardest. Obama’s economic policies are harder overall on the poor and minorities. If we had a competent and honest media everyone would know that. Wilder doesn’t seem to be fooled by the media cover-up for Obama.

talkingpoints on August 17, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Republican P.B.S. Pinchback was the first black Governor of a State, not Wilder.

Wilder was the first black democrat governor.

Jason Coleman on August 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Jason Coleman on August 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Pinchback briefly stepped into the role of governor after the sitting governor was impeached. He was not elected to be governor (although he was elected to the lieutenant governor position).

Doug Wilder was America’s first elected black governor.

The first vote I ever cast was for Doug Wilder for governor of Virginia. Have never regretted that vote, unlike many of my other votes over the years.

AZCoyote on August 17, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Don’t be too excited to have yourself associated with Doug Wilder. He’s currently facing some tough questions about his leadership of the group that was establishing a Slavery Museum in Fredericksburg. After years of fundraising and taking in millions of dollars (along with donations of artifacts) absolutely nothing has been accomplished. The architectural firm has sued for several millions and the city has foreclosed on the donated property for non-payment of taxes. And no one can account for the money the group raised. Doug Wilder is right in the middle of all of it.

SoonerMarine on August 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM