Did Douglas Wilder attend a Romney fundraiser tonight?

posted at 10:01 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Is the country’s first black governor, a long-time Democrat, now officially part of America’s comeback team? We already knew he was irritated with Biden, but man, I guess we didn’t really know. From today’s interview with Fox News, his second on the network in 48 hours:

I did read something that shocked me today also that I saw — not shocked me. I shouldn’t have been shocked. But Biden said this in 2010. It was in a Washington Post piece today. And they were saying how he is getting ready to deal with Paul Ryan. And in fact in 2010, this is what Biden said about Obama: ‘You know, he is smarter than I thought he was.’ What did that mean? If he is smarter than you thought he was, did you think he was just ordinary? Did you think he was below par? If he is smarter than what you thought he was, what does that mean? Why would you say that two years after the election and the guy that brought you along to a position that you never would have occupied, but for his being there.

Sounds like he’s right on the verge there of accusing Biden of racism. Further evidence that he’s joined the Romney/Ryan camp? Bryan Preston says yes:

At a fundraiser at the Richmond, VA Marriott tonight for the Romney campaign, there was a surprise guest. Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell introduced Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who in turn introduced Rep. Paul Ryan. But before McDonnell took the mic, another figure was acknowledging dignitaries in the crowd. Among those dignitaries addressed from the stage, was former Virginia Gov. Douglas Wilder, according to a Tatler source who was there.

BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller saw the media’s pool report from the fundraiser, though, and says no:

Not sure what to think. If he really is sufficiently committed to Romney that he’d agree to make a splash by attending a fundraiser, why not just own it and tell the press that when they asked why he was there? On the other hand, seems awwwwfully coincidental that a guy who’s been tearing Biden apart on TV this week — and whose criticism was dismissed publicly by Jay Carney at today’s briefing — would mistakenly stumble into an event being held by the other side’s nominee. And do note, Wilder’s Democratic affiliation hasn’t always been determinative. He’s supported at least one Republican in the past and briefly ran for Senate as an independent himself. His political repertoire includes unorthodox moves, although admittedly this one would be very unorthodox.

Two clips for you here, one of Wilder on Fox today and the other a new ad from the RNC saluting President Unity. Exit quotation from Obama in his hard-hitting interview with Entertainment Tonight: “I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A small anecdote: A friend had dinner last night with two O-bots. Both voted — proudly — for barack in ’08. Had the t-shirts, the bumper stickers, drank all the kool-aid, life-long democrats. This year? One is staying home, one is voting for Romney. I think that for every O-bot who switches to Romney, there will be at least one staying home.

Rational Thought on August 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Cavuto loves the guy, and I have never heard Gov Wilder say anything that raised my blood pressure. Sure he occasionally recites the party line, but it’s necessary sometimes and being a smart and astute person, I’m sure he doesn’t do it out of malice.

Anyhow, he’s a moderate no more, no less. If he supports Romney, that is a wonderful thing. If he doesn’t but still has a pain for Biden, even that’s a very good thing.

Mr. Grump on August 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Wilder called Biden a tar baby!

lolol

That should make some leftie heads explode.

soundingboard on August 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Yeah, I was surprised that didn’t get any play yesterday. Heck, even Toure the tool missed it. Does that mean we can reclaim it as the innocent and relevant metaphor it represents? Nah…didn’t think so.

CitizenEgg on August 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Don’t be too excited to have yourself associated with Doug Wilder. He’s currently facing some tough questions about his leadership of the group that was establishing a Slavery Museum in Fredericksburg. After years of fundraising and taking in millions of dollars (along with donations of artifacts) absolutely nothing has been accomplished. The architectural firm has sued for several millions and the city has foreclosed on the donated property for non-payment of taxes. And no one can account for the money the group raised. Doug Wilder is right in the middle of all of it.

SoonerMarine on August 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM

A slavery museum? Lets keep the wound festering.

You know, there have been slaves since the beginning of time and still are today, yet some libs act like slavery was birthed in the US and is still celebrated here today.

You want to talk reparations? Maybe it’s time Italy, Greece and some countries in the Middle East paid us all reparations. That would be the day.

JellyToast on August 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

The sad part is that, obama and Biden have not changed since 2008 – they are exactly who they said they were – so, why did anyone vote for them in the first place?

Pork-Chop on August 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I feel so much better now that all theses center left democrats and RINOs love Romney. And to think I was worried that Romney wsn’t conservative enough.

bgibbs1000 on August 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Wonder what Barry did to get in Doug’s bad graces.

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I wonder if Doug’s list is in chronological, alphabetical or topical order.

rwenger43 on August 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Hmm, the former VA state senator, former Governor of VA, former mayor of Richmond and man about town Doug Wilder made a rookie mistake by going to the wrong hotel? Really? There aren’t many plush hotels in Richmond to make such a mistake and the press buys this lame excuse? Pathetic. Wilder is and always has been a man driven by his own will. Not a mistake.

stop2think on August 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM

A slavery museum? Lets keep the wound festering.

JellyToast on August 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

We have one of those here in Cincinnati! The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center is a lovely eyesore on prime real estate on the riverfront right between the Reds’ and Bengals’ stadiums.

It was an obvious pander to the ‘local community’ after the race riots in 2001.

It sucks down a lot of taxpayer money and is normally only attended by schoolchildren on forced field trips.

We think it would do better as a strip club with a Putt-Putt course overlooking the river on the nice lawn they have! At least it would be self-sufficient…

Spiders from Mars on August 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

bgibbs1000 on August 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I have no problem with a big tent in a Presidential election–particularly when the other side is so polarizing.

When Sarah started her “Mama Grizzlies” deal, she was attempting to get liberal women to get back to the basic priority of common sense conservatism over the costly luxury of liberal ideals.

As Newt says, the most uniting concept in our country right now is our universal need to get back to work. The other side stands against it. I have no problem with some of them humbling themselves enough to join us.

I’m tired of pulling this wagon with so many passengers. Anytime one of them sees the light and takes a turn on the traces, I’m happy at their new-found maturity.

I’d love this election to be a 10-point blowout repudiation of the Unqualified One’s policies. That will require more than a handful of libs to see the previous error of their ways. Right now, they are responding to a positively articulated conservative economic message. What’s wrong with that?

rwenger43 on August 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Any event with Ryan would be a high-security event, essentially run on lockdown by the Secret Service. No one would just stumble through the door.

HakerA on August 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

These great and devastating ads mean nothing if they’re only on the Internet! It only reverberates in the echo chamber of conservative blogs and sites. Play these on TV. and be proactive! My God it’s so frustrating that the RNC and Romney isn’t going for the jugular. I’ve talked to people who are undecided and the Obama media and ads have swung them to Obama. My God go after him NOW!

Jason Alexander on August 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

“stammering White House” … lol

Interesting Allah.

I’ve always thought Wilder was a very honorable man to be respected. But I don’t see from the tid-bits offered how you could even be suspicious that he’d flip a vote Romney’s way. I’m not saying he won’t, but if he was at the hotel by mistake like Zeke Miller said, it really is just conjecture. What Mr. Gump said above.

It would be awesome for him to come out definatively for R2, but in the interviews with Cavuto he just sounds very irritated at Biden and sympathetic to the president for being stuck with him.

hawkdriver on August 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Gov. Wilder was my Governor for 4 years. I didn’t vote for him, and I didn’t agree with him on every issue, but I never thought he was governing against the best interests of Virginia. I can’t say the same about our current President and this nation.

I do find it hard to believe that Gov Wilder, having spent a lifetime in Richmond, wouldn’t know exactly where he was for any event. The area that constitutes downtown Richmond just isn’t that large to start with. And he’s been to enough functions at the Marriot to know where all the different venues are located.

But I do doubt he’d bail on Barack publicly. I thought he might in 08, but Doug is not about to buck the party completely. Would I vote for him today? Against George Allen, no. Against Tim Kaine, many times yes!

And in case some of you didn’t know, Gov Wilder is an Army veteran of the Korean War and was awarded the Bronze Star.

TugboatPhil on August 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Pool: Gov. Wilder was at the hotel, but he was apparently planning to attend Gov. McDonnell’s education summit and went to the wrong hotel.

Yeah, I’m always going to the wrong hotels. They all look alike these days.

Akzed on August 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The thought thickens.

PaleoRider on August 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

..raise your hand out there in HG land if you hate — and I really, really mean despise with a white hot passion — THE FETUS, a.k.a, Jay Carney.

FEEL THE ENMITY!

I can hardly wait for this puerile, sniveling little infant’s testicles to drop just so I can kick them back up from whence the came.

The War Planner on August 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

[hand up]

Here’s a beautiful portrait of Jay Carney.

Mary in LA on August 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

The second video above was terrific. The GOP needs to keep up the pressure on Obama all the way to November. I’m glad to see Team Romney decided to take off the gloves and hit back early rather than waiting until it’s October.

HoosierStateofMind on August 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Back in the late ’70s, I took a part-time job as a paper carrier in downtown Richmond, the high-rise apartments on Franklin Street. One of them was Monroe Park Towers, which was the last of the route because for whatever reason most of the subscribers there got up later, so I would be finishing up around 6:30 -7 am.

Because the newsprint ink came off so easily, I wore the same couple of sets of old clothes delivering, they were filthy and got worse, I looked like a bum.

But often riding down that elevator when done, I would often pick up Doug Wilder, then a State Senator, on his way to the Capitol (or breakfast first) in his three-piece suit. I lived in Henrico County and wasn’t a constituent, which he established on our first trip, but he was as nice and friendly as he could be, we talked politics and other things.

I later voted for him for Lt. Governor, the only Democrat I voted for in and for many years. I had left the state before he ran for Governor, but I would probably have voted for him against the idiot Wyatt Durrette, too.

Years after being Governor, he came back to be Mayor of Richmond after scandals took down the Mayor and half the City Council. My understanding is he sucked at that, though.

Adjoran on August 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, I’m always going to the wrong hotels. They all look alike these days.

Akzed on August 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

What a racist comment! ;)

honsy on August 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Willful stupidity is the only term that applies to the press – if Wilder was at the fundraiser he was there on purpose. There is only one Marriott in Richmond proper and it is directly across the street from the Convention Center – where ALL major political functions for both parties are held every year. Not to mention that it is only 4 blocks from the state capitol where Wilder has spent the better part of the last 30 years of his life. He was not at the wrong hotel …

Govgirl on August 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM