CNN moves Wisconsin from “leans Obama” to “toss up”

posted at 6:16 pm on August 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Rasmussen has it 48/47 for Romney among likely voters, CNN has it 49/45 for Obama among registered voters. Samples of registered voters do tend to skew more blue than actual turnout on election day, so those numbers jibe nicely. The state really is a toss up right now, it seems.

If we end up losing there in November despite Scott Walker’s big win this summer, with an eminently likable native son on the bottom half of the ticket, then I’m thinking Wisconsin may end up in Pennsylvania’s category for GOP consultants as a purplish state that’s really not worth the trouble of contesting.

CNN Thursday turned the important battleground state of Wisconsin from “lean Obama” to true “toss up” on its electoral map, in the wake of Mitt Romney’s naming of House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, a seven term congressman from the Badger state, as his running mate…

Wisconsin now becomes the eighth state CNN considers a true toss up, joining Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio and Virginia. CNN considers Michigan, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania as states that lean towards Obama, with Arizona, Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina as states that lean towards Romney.

There’s no partisan split provided for the sample so I can’t tell if it’s tilted toward Democrats. Two interesting data points, though. One: Not only is Ryan’s +18 the highest net favorable rating for any of the four men on the two tickets (not surprising in his home state), but Romney’s favorable rating is now net +3. I wonder if that’s reflected glow from Ryan’s numbers or if his image is improving among the electorate generally. Two: Feast your eyes on the age split here.

Senior citizens and the under-50 set are firmly behind Romney/Ryan but the in-between group leans heavily towards O. The good news there is that Wisconsinites are probably a bit more familiar with Ryan’s budget than voters nationwide, but evidently the local Mediscaring isn’t working on the elderly. The bad news is that it might be working on near-seniors: Remember, Ryan’s proposed Medicare reforms would apply to citizens under age 55, which overlaps to some extent with the heavily pro-Obama age group here. I’d like to see these same groups quizzed specifically on what they think of the two sides vis-a-vis Medicare. If that’s not what’s driving this curious split, let’s at least find out for sure.

Oh, speaking of Pennsylvania: Via Tom Elia, an intriguing tidbit from today’s Franklin & Marshall poll of the state putting Obama up by six points. In February, before Romney was crowned nominee, O led by 12:

O’s numbers are strikingly similar to Bush’s in 2004, when Dubya lost the state by two and a half points to Kerry. The big difference? Romney’s favorables are gruesome. On the other hand, as Elia pointed out in an e-mail, the partisan split for this poll is +13; four years ago, per the state’s exit polls, the Democrats’ advantage on election day was just +7. Bottom line, Mitt may be closer than six points in reality, but he’s sufficiently unpopular that I bet he won’t make a play for the state unless things start looking very rosy for him nationwide. Exit question via John Tabin: Dude?

Comments

Hey, they elected Scott Walker (twice now), so there’s hope.

Ward Cleaver on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Allah,

Bush only lost Wisconsin by 5k votes in 2000 and 10k votes in 2004.

Wisky is definitely in play and its not as blue as the media is trying to get people to believe.

Ca97 on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

CNN moves Wisconsin from “leans Obama” to “toss up”

For those unfamiliar with biased “socialist media speak,” “toss up” means “OBOZO is toast.”

TeaPartyNation on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Blue——-> Purple———-> Red!

Swing states are swinging our way!

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Hooray Cheeseheads!

Bruno Strozek on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Yaaay, President Rya—er, Romney! Yeah, that’s it!

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Obama was toast when Walker won (again). WI gets it. So does Ohio, and Florida, and probably Pennsylvania. I even think NY and MN will turn. That leaves the true pariah state of CA, and maybe some New England communes. Socialism, anyone? Buehler?

RobertMN on August 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Dat’s racist! ~ Toure

Blake on August 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Allah,

What’s up with the Dude? link?

milemarker2020 on August 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Things must be going into full-blown code blue panic alert at the DNC DeathStar. :D

cynccook on August 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

PA now has voter ID.

PA has a doofus senator running for re-election. GOP opponent is a former coal company exec.

PA has coal country voters who know that Obama is going to kill coal – in fact, he’s already started.

Wethal on August 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

CNN said that ? CNN ?
So the war on women, dogs, gays, poor people, blacks, taxes, cancer, pony, businesses, Ann’s shirt, seniors and the 1%
did not work ?
Time to start new wars…..your move Obama !!

burrata on August 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I even think MN will turn.

RobertMN on August 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

If we get voter ID passed I think there is a decent shot.

I was at the salon the other day and we were talking about gas prices and drilling. Both hairstylists and customers were pissed about not drilling here. The anger is there. I think Romney is going to make it very close here.

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM

MSNBC Host, TOURE, is quoted as saying that Romney is engaged in the ‘niggerization’ of Obama.

I have to say.. what a thoroughly reprehensible and despicable thing for anyone to say.

What kind of a mind comes up with something like that?

Taken together with Biden’s recent ‘chain’ comment, it begins to look like the Obama campaign, its surrogates, and at least some of their supporters, are seeking the lowest possible level of the gutter.

I understand that people lash out when they are losing from sheer desperation, however there are boundaries of common decency that must remain inviolate.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Exit question via John Tabin: Dude?

Two things:

1) That’s ain’t happening. If Wisconsin goes red, so will Virginia and possibly even Colorado and Nevada.

2) Even if that did happen, Romney becomes President. The GOP won the House in 2010. They get the tiebreaker. The Dems can cry about it til 2016 for all I care, but the law’s the law(well, except when you’re Obama, I suppose).

Doughboy on August 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yes, but what about the unlikely voters? I bet they are still for Obama! Hope! Change! (Or is it Hoax & Chains as someone said the other night?)

On Wisconsin! We believe in you!!!!!!!

UnderstandingisPower on August 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You have to be ahead 3% in WI to overcome the voter fraud that pours out of Madison and Milwaukee.

pat on August 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Caption: “WHEEEERE’S BIDEN!!!!”

Dongemaharu on August 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM

They need to go all in for WI. PA is always a tease.

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Its amazing what a difference a few days makes. I think the more R&R get the message out, the more Wisconsin will like what they hear.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

After Ryan pick, Romney leading in Wisconsin

jjrakman on August 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Here’s why you can win PA, Mitt:

Gee, what a coincidence that Barry announces that the feds are on spending $70 million in stimulus money in PA, Ohio and WV for promoting manufacturing:

Philly on August 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I even think MN will turn.

RobertMN on August 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

If we get voter ID passed I think there is a decent shot.

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You’re getting ahead of yourself there, GG. Voter ID won’t go into effect until after this election.

Now, the YES vote on both amendments might make it interesting if there is a decent pro marriage and ID turnout in outside the People’s Republic of Mpls/St Paul.

Bruno Strozek on August 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Doughboy on August 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

That’s what I was thinking. Particularly on Virginia.

WhatSlushfund on August 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM

But then there’s Al Franken…;)

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Bruno Strozek on August 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Oh I know – I guess I didn’t phrase my reply very well. It’s been a long day.

Those amendments are key. Of course by the time Richie is done, no one will know what the heck to vote for grrrrr.

gophergirl on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Have you SEEN the effect this is having on TOURE? Check out Drudge.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

What in the world is wrong with Wisconsin- can’t even back one of their own?

bayam on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Not to mention, I’ve seen the “I Regret Voting for Obama” commercial three times in the last hour and a half, along with Tom Smith’s which slams Bob Casey, Jr. here in western PA.

And yes, the state court upheld our Voter ID law. With any luck the appeal the opponents are going to file will fall as flat as the initial court case did.

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I don’t think JOhn Tabins scenario is possible. If Romney takes Wisconsin….I think it’s highly likely he’ll take Virginia. Virginia is much redder than Colorado or Wisconsin.

terryannonline on August 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM

They need to go all in for WI. PA is always a tease.

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, it is. Frustrates the hell out of us conservatives who have had our hopes dashed time and again. {sigh}

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Awesome news. NH is not a toss up. We tossed out the dems in 2010 and everywhere I see Romney signs, but Zero Obama signs. NH flipped red, people and now we have voter ID.

No Zombie votes.

dogsoldier on August 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This will be good news for Bishop.

He gets so tired of people ripping his beloved state…

BigWyo on August 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Have you SEEN the effect this is having on TOURE? Check out Drudge.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, I was over at AOSHQ reading, and watching that train wreck…

Holy Moses….

BigWyo on August 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Well, you had a good ’10 anyway. If only there was a way to split off Philly…

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

a few weeks of this and then the convention…. al ot of indies who want to vote for the likely winner, will sway themselves to Romney/Ryan.

FlaMurph on August 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Oh, yes, Wisconsin will be bright red…. that is, if we can push Madison and Milwaukee down to Illinois. There is a chance that we can over-vote their votes, but it will be harder now. The Walker recall was done when the Madison and Milwaukee campuses were empty. In November the kiddies will be voting just as their liberal professors tell them to. That is one thing that just doesn’t make sense to me. As a college grad decades ago I either went home to vote or voted absentee. I honestly don’t understand why there is no federal law stating that college students can only vote in their home states as absentee, and not in their campus state. There is no sense to getting the votes of people who will almost all only be here for a certain number of months and then go to settle in a different state, or else move back to their own state.

I, for one, would LOVE to see Wisconsin be the home state of our Vice President!!!

Speaking of which, this may be one of the few presidential elections where the candidate doesn’t win their home state. I would be surprised to see Romney win in MA…. wouldn’t THAT be a corker!!! If we could put MA in the red column because their “home boy” is running it would really be something!

PackerFan4Life on August 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Because of a vacancy, the PA Supreme Court is now 4 GOP, 4 Dem. A 4-4 vote would affirm the Commonwealth Court judge’s order upholding the constitutionality of the law.

Not that the Dems wouldn’t head down to federal court, but SCOTUS upheld an almost identical IN law.

Wethal on August 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM

BigWyo on August 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I think Toure is one of the most reprehensible people on the planet. Either that, or he’s just ill.

That level of vitriol almost has to be pathological.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM

WOW. I hope my State of Colorado follows suit.

lea on August 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM

PackerFan4Life on August 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I think the problem with the college kids voting in state is that they establish a year’s residency in order to qualify for ‘in-state tuition’ rates. That makes them residents of the state… hence they can vote there rather than their ‘home’ state.

Most of the students on any campus are attending, regardless of their home state or nation, as ‘residents’ and paying ‘in-state’ tuition rates.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Well, you had a good ’10 anyway. If only there was a way to split off Philly…

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Pittsburgh, too. As much as I love the architecture in the central city, their politics are and have been completely sclerotic.

Maybe we could offload Philly to Delaware or Maryland. //

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Have you SEEN the effect this is having on TOURE? Check out Drudge.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Wow. He should be fired for using that word on air…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

While we have all the exciting talk about Wisconsin, and dreams of Pennsylvania, has anyone heard anything out of Iowa and Michigan lately? Seems like Iowa is trending red, but I haven’t heard much about it. Neither Michigan, for that matter.

JimLennon on August 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM

What kind of a mind comes up with something like that?

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I’m sure we’ll get a thread on this topic shortly, but damn. damn. I was blown away by this arguement. This is the level of craziness that’s out there. MSNBC needs to publicly ream this guy.

BettyRuth on August 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Maybe we could offload Philly to Delaware or Maryland. //

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Delaware. I have MD reserved for Northern Virginia :)

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Wow. He should be fired for using that word on air…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I hope not. The more desperate the Left becomes, the more they lose control and start spouting off like that. At that point, they start turning off the “Why can’t we all just get along?” independents in droves.

JimLennon on August 16, 2012 at 7:02 PM

“On, Wisconsin!”

onlineanalyst on August 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Wethal on August 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yes, and if Joan Orie Melvin hadn’t been so stupid, it would be 5 GOP, 4 Dem.

I would hope that the SCOTUS would uphold the law, but it just makes me a bit nervous that the Dems will try to appeal but also that our stellar (sarc!) U.S. Attorney General was making noises about it and sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong (other than up Obama’s you-know-where).

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM

changer1701 on August 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM

LOL!

PatriotGal2257 on August 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I just watched the Romney/Ryan stop in Wisconsin again and I get all teary-eyed watching how much they adore him there, and how cool he is. I saw some headline on here about the “Ryanization” of the gop and I know it will be drivel so I won’t even bother with it. These media people have no idea what election day will look like because they are out of touch. And they are out of touch because no one else will have them so they hang around together and tell each other how very cool they are and oh so smart. If they leave their cocoon they might find out differently.

Paddington on August 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Wow. He should be fired for using that word on air…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

It’s OK he’s black, they’re allowed to use that word.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

cynccook on August 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Schadenfreude on August 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I agree OC!

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Have you SEEN the effect this is having on TOURE? Check out Drudge.

thatsafactjack on August 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

That’s not surprising or unusual. The democratics have been doing this exact same thing for as long as I can remember. And not just in politics.

jaime on August 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Re: Tabin: Virginia is going red, and I think Nevada will as well.

Vashta.Nerada on August 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well Romney surprised me today. He is actually fighting against Obama.

But the Democrats are now even using the N word against Mitt. Putting words in his mouth. Saying if you critize Mitt you are racist.

Listen I will not write what Touré said.

Steveangell on August 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM

No. This is exactly what the MSM wants you to think with their ridiculous D+13, but in reality we are probably looking at even split or better in 2012. Romney’s favorables are even when adjusted for that.

TallDave on August 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I have produced that map as well, but no way is Virginia going blue again.

R&R win:

NC +6%
VA +4%
WI +2%
NV +2%
OH +4%

Game.Set.Match.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Allah,

Bush only lost Wisconsin by 5k votes in 2000 and 10k votes in 2004.

Ca97 on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

So you’re saying democratics stole Wisconsin in 2000 and 2004?

I always have a problem with just letting things go because we won the eletions overall. Results in those states should have been challenged. Who knows how many we could have put in jail, and thereby done better in 2008 and this year.

slickwillie2001 on August 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

NV +2%
Game.Set.Match.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM

No way he wins Neveda.

Nevada is completely fixed. All the casinos force everyone to vote for the Democrats. It is completely corrupt. I mean really a polling place in a Casino. People have gone to prison in Nevada for voting fraud but it will not stop it.

Steveangell on August 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Schadenfreude, thatsafackjack, et al:

Re: “Poaching”

Let’s Face It: Bloviating & Assuming Facts Not In Evidence Are “Unseemly”

M2RB: Monty Python

He had it coming after this afternoon.

Resist We Much on August 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Picking Paul Ryan is just purely long overdue RESPECT for the Tea Party.
It’s energizing to me and brillian on Romney’s part

MAC1000 on August 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

On the registered-voter side, CNN’s registered-voter sample appears to be a roughly D+3 sample. It’s on the high-D end of “believable”.

Rasmussen’s likely-voter sample is R+1, on the high-R end of “believable”.

Steve Eggleston on August 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

pat on August 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM

And Racine.

Steve Eggleston on August 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM

No way he wins Neveda.

Steveangell on August 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

In Nevada the SEIU has the contract to manage and deploy the electronic voting machines. Nevada is only winnable if little Bammie is so bad that there’s a revolt in the union ranks, which is not impossible, but unlikely.

slickwillie2001 on August 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

No way he wins Neveda.

Nevada is completely fixed. All the ca$inos force everyone to vote for the Democrats. It is completely corrupt. I mean really a polling place in a Ca$ino. People have gone to prison in Nevada for voting fraud but it will not stop it.

Steveangell on August 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

slickwillie2001 on August 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

MSNBC needs to publicly ream this guy.

BettyRuth on August 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Eh, MSNBC will probably promote him to take over Scarborough one of these days.

Remember, they did NOTHING to Chris Hayes after his unconscionable attack on Memorial Day.

Myron Falwell on August 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM

RobertMN on August 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

In regards to pennsy, the dems are really upset about that voter ID. This guy on hannity practically had a meltdown about it. They know they won’t have the dead vote in Philly.

Conservative4ev on August 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Allah,

Bush only lost Wisconsin by 5k votes in 2000 and 10k votes in 2004.

Ca97 on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

This Allahpundit is ridiculously pessimistic and knee jerk reactionary… I think he deals with a lot of liberals and believe the shit they tell him…

mnjg on August 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

IN and AZ are not going to Obama – they aren’t leaning Romney – Obama is so far down in IN, he could lose the state by more than 20pts.

Also SCOTUS will never hear the PA voter ID case as long as PA upholds. Same as IN law, already ruled constituional by SCOTUS. If PA supreme court strikes it, PA will appeal it to SCOTUS where it will be upheld.

Zomcon JEM on August 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Are you ready for this?

Say, as proposed, that the electoral college is a 269-269 tie.

Then what happens?

If neither candidate gets a majority of the Electoral Votes, the election for President is decided in the House of Representatives, with each state delegation having one vote. Senators would elect the Vice-President.

The house would vote in Romney as president.

But the Senate…currently with 53 Dems, could very likely instead vote in Biden as VP. They have the right to do so.

And here’s the twist: even if 3 Dems flip and vote for the Republican, it would still be a tie…and BIDEN HIMSELF would cast the deciding vote to re-install himself back as VP!!!

So we very well might end up with Romney-Biden 2012!

Zombie on August 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I find it refreshing to have a candidate with Ryan’s charisma and savvy. He has energized Mitt’s campaign like Sarah’s pick did for McCain. Over this past week,I have seen interviews with former classmates, life-long neighbors, and teachers – all coming forward to shed light on his past. ” Good student” “Hard worker” “Class President and Prom King” No one recalls him ducking class to sit in car puffing pot – I’ll bet his grades are far better than the fabricated fabled past of one Barack Hussein Obungle.

USN Corpseman on August 17, 2012 at 4:48 AM

I don’t think people realize the tarnish on the democrat brand in Wisconsin when they see the upcoming election. I am from Minnesota but voting Democrat in MN is probably a lot like voting democrat in Wisconsin. The democrats are not a lock if they behave badly or govern poorly.

Wisconsin was basically tortured by the democrat party and the turnout for Walker was also a message I would expect in MN under the same circumstances. People who think the Obama brand of hope and change wasn’t BADLY tarnished in way that makes HIS negative campaigning go over like a lead balloon aren’t taking the temperature of WI.

Conan on August 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM