Video: Are you ready for the Obama re-election musical?

posted at 4:01 pm on August 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace and Twitchy, until today I was firmly in the Romney column. Then I heard “Health care is a right/Medicare’s a must” sung-shouted in a collective voice so sweet, it can only have come from a choir of seraphim disguised as an especially annoying, but otherwise totally stereotypical, theater troupe.

And now I don’t know, guys. I just don’t know.

Seriously, in its own way, this pile captures the spirit — and “hipness” — of Obama’s current campaign roughly as well as will.i.am’s “yes we can” hymn to The One captured the mood of Hopenchange circa 2008. Watch ‘em back to back and shudder at the decline. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Trolls?

JPeterman on August 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

What would I rather do, go to the range or watch this….hmmmm….that’s a tough one.

Bishop on August 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

That’s a really nice pedostache that one soloist has.

Not creepy AT ALL.

Abby Adams on August 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Oh, hahahahaha…

Lourdes on August 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I laughed so hard I almost …well you can imagine…

sandspur on August 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I suggest taping a print of the photo onto your targets….

dentarthurdent on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Seismic: Defying Previous Trends, Theater Majors Support Obama

lorien1973 on August 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Coming headline:

“Hoping You’ll Think This Is A Different Group, Gay College Students Also Support Obama”

The Rogue Tomato on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Well, that’s about five minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Notice that with the exception of one chick in the second row, the women are pretty fugly and the men appear – how can I say it – metrosexual?

bw222 on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Perfect targets. They claim to be “parody” but that’s the real joke.

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hot Air should have promoted this as a combo with this:

ToddPA on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Some people will do anything for money !!

KenInIL on August 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

how can I say it – metrosexual?

bw222 on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

You’re too nice.

CW on August 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

“Where does one find the drugs that would make one so delusional?”

Flyovercountry on August 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Schools

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Ed should really avoid mixing vid clippage such as this and opiod painkillers…..

/tips

ted c on August 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

What a great day for the administration–in their column they can now count the Unlikely Voters, Lesbians and Thespians…sleep well Barky…

hillsoftx on August 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

And he had the greasy hair and beads of sweat on his face to go with the pedo-stache.

UltimateBob on August 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

The panty-dropper in question:

Abby Adams on August 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

That woman right up front and center could be Medea Benjamins sister, she has the same droopy dog-eyes.

Bishop on August 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

They are desperate. The waves in the leftist latrines are high.

McConnell’s “we want Obama to fail” will be to the annals of America what “It’s the economy, stupid” was/still is.

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I clicked the image.

Who in the freaking world does this?

JellyToast on August 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Consider the official Kool-Aid shortage to start in 3…2…1

Obviously they take themselves super-seriously. You just know that they are all congratulating themselves on their significant contribution to the Obama campaign.

And if you see a group calling their own piece “transformative,” well, then that’s a clue right there…

bigdubs on August 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Well, that’s about five minutes of my life that I will never get back.

bw222 on August 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Why do you think they use so much make up in theater?

Animal60 on August 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Click the image to watch.

CurtZHP on August 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM

RushBaby, you are a classic.

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

You really notice how good Rush is on a day like today when a guest host is constantly repeating himself.

Unfortunately, there are far more “Sean Hannitys” than “Rush Limbaughs” on talk radio.

bw222 on August 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The panty-dropper in question:

Abby Adams on August 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I doubt that is what he is dropping.

CW on August 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a little. I watched about 30 seconds and I feel like I need a hot shower with lots of soap.

I dont think this is a parody at all. I think it is the real deal. Liberals are getting really really nasty (more than usual, even), and not just the administration. My liberal relatives have been just awful recently. Ugh. This video brought up all the nasty stuff that has been flying around FB and emails, lately. They call you racists and nazis without any provocation in one sentence, and in the next they are complaining about polarization the lack of ‘civility’. It makes my head hurt. I think I am going to find an isolated cabin in the woods and stay there until November.

bitsy on August 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I haven’t read the comments yet so sorry if I am repeating someone but…… Did anyone see the clip played on Cavuto of Jake Trapper interviewing The Won; who not only admits that he took money from Medicare for Obamacare but says he will veto any legislation that tries to change it?

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

They seem angry and filled with hate.

ronsfi on August 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Oh, please, somebody sponsor this video and put it on TV day and night with a big O logo on it.

The Rogue Tomato on August 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The panty-dropper in question:

Abby Adams on August 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Too funny!

UltimateBob on August 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM

this IS a parody…

i took it as a brilliant parody of obama’s cult of personality and of victimhood

i love the name Don DeMesquita. like a bug. a mosquito — how post-modern irony

and the take-off on Les Miserables…”The Victims”

the mix of fiction and history — just like Obama’s autobiography.

obama as jean valjean — a former convict, haunted by his sordid past.

Michelle as Fantine?

could Javert be Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts??

even the bit about selling a t-shirt of obama for one term more is a brilliant satire of the selling of obama — you know like the wedding registry (odd that valerie jarrett’s daughter didnt register for obama)

wholefoodsrepublican on August 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

You didn’t read the “open letter”

“One Term More is a transformative political parody rendered under fair use. The accompanying illustration conveys the transcendent nature of a remarkable man. Sketches based on a recently reported, well-sourced, deeply disturbing event depict an uncommonly cruel act of aggression.

No ad time will be purchased nor will it be sold. It’s intended as social commentary, criticism & personal expression, displayed only online and freely available to all. Its purpose and character is informational, non-commercial & not-for-profit. The parodied lyrics are mine; the music’s from “Les Mis.” “

Animal60 on August 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Obama 2012! Do it for Trayvon St. Skittles!

the new aesthetic on August 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Funny that the opening quote mentions “chains”.

I say opening, but it’s just past all the suck-up-to-Les-Mis-so-they-don’t-sue-us bullcrap.

Brad G on August 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Wow, that video is hilariously bad.

This CANNOT be sincere.

Seriously, the Trayvon Martin and Fred Phelps pictures are just so over-the-top and dishonest I HAVE to think this must be a satire of Obama worshipers. Right?? Or not? Not saying they wouldn’t sink to such despicable lows… but come on.

bluegill on August 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

HERE:

Obama Pledged His Medicare Cuts Are Here to Stay

…with video (scroll down).

Lourdes on August 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

M2RB: Living Colour

UltimateBob on August 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

..for a clueless old guy, what in the hell does M2RB mean. The urban dictionary has failed me.

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

runningpundit on August 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM

every now and then the comments are too good to pass up

DanMan on August 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

C’mon Allah, WTF is this?

MrX on August 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

“Obama – the Musical: He can sing! He can dance! He can wear mom pants!”

natasha333 on August 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Lourdes on August 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Looks like it make a great ad.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

MrX on August 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

It’s culture, my friend, culture!!!

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Music to read by.

CurtZHP on August 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

In fairness (yeah, yeah, I know) the music is professional (unlike those creepy school-kid videos, mmmmmm-mmmmmmm-mmmm) so I am thinking that these folks are paid as is the other creative “talent” behind this effort. Given this assumption, the delicious thought creeps in where you wonder how many of these out-of-work actors are gonna pull the lever for Obama?

Betcha there’s at least one or two of ‘em who just needed the gig.

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Bishop on August 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Ok, I’m going to bite.

Why not just print the picture and take it to the range with you.

PrettyD_Vicious on August 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Music to read by.

CurtZHP on August 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

..thanks. Does it have any inherently negative connotations to it?

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Why not just print the picture and take it to the range with you.

PrettyD_Vicious on August 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

..sadly, that’s a no-no at shooting ranges. Dunno about DRIVING ranges. Worth a try.

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Funny, they put a disclaimer there at the beginning of this musical ‘thing’ , that it’s a parody….looks more like self-parody to me, not sure if intentional or not….

jimver on August 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Betcha there’s at least one or two of ‘em who just needed the gig.

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Oh, but then, am sure he will promise more grants for arts and stuff…then you can expect more of the dear leacer type of chants, Leni Riefenstahl-style propaganda movies and art forms and such….

jimver on August 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

..thanks. Does it have any inherently negative connotations to it?

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

No, he just posts music videos on his site for you to listen to while you read the blog.

CurtZHP on August 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The real reason Allah might change his vote: “We want a Jedi, not a Sith.”

bleakdaze on August 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

wonder if maybe this could include this guy’s face along with Treyvons. Maybe include a clip of the cincinnatti police interviewing these creatures.

A pack of animals beating someone for fun. Except that even animals don’t do it for fun but to eat.

acyl72 on August 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

CurtZHP on August 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

..romeo..oscar..golf..

Thanks!

The War Planner on August 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I tapped out as soon as they showed the five year old picture of Trayvon Martin (the one the media used to make it look like George Zimmerman shot a ten year old).

Aodhan on August 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

DU thinks it is brilliant:

Must see! Fantastic adaptation of Les Miz theme “One More Term” w/ H’wood & B’way cast – xpost

Cross-posted from Video and Multimedia forum because it’s too good to miss!

Please watch this. It’s SO great and not from the campaign — but driven by the fantastic talent. There’s also a captioned/subtitled version at http://www.onetermmore.com/video_subtitles.html, that explains why the video was produced and more. It’s vimeo, though, and I don’t know how to post that here.

Mr Snuggle Bunny on August 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Holy Crap, the was FREAKIN’ AWESOME!!!

St Gaudens on August 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Aodhan on August 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Watch it. I thought I was going to now hate one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite musicals forever after watching,

but instead I was laughing through it all. The thing was so ridiculous and over the top that I thought it had to be a parody.

but they are funny in their seriousness. Those expressions. lol these people really believe that garage and distorted lies. They live in another world, not reality.

“We want a Jedi, not a Sith?” Lol

“Then we can determine what our God in Heaven has in store?”

Are you kidding me?

Elisa on August 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Hey….that “main” dude gets to sing the part of Enjolras AND Javert?

How is that FAIR?

Somebody call the Actor’s Equity police – I want a ruling on this…..

TeresainFortWorth on August 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Since they are advertising this as a parody I’ll just assume they don’t mean anything they sang.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Totally OT – but – What do you think of Dish?
I’m thinking of switching to Dish, as my son just had a summer internship at their HQ and loved it. He’s really hoping to get a job offer from them for after college.
Just looking for honest critique from people who have dealt with them.

dentarthurdent on August 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

They are cheaper than the competition.

I don’t watch much TV though. When ever I do sit down and watch, it’s seldom I find anything I like. Flip through 3965 channels and what do I find? Cooking channels, reality shows devoid of all reality, cop shows were 110lb blonde babes that look like they stepped out of a Barbi box can deck a 220lb serial killer with one punch from a fist that never saw a callous in it’s life, music channels… who the freak puts music on TV? And I’m paying for this? There aren’t even any pictures. Just a black screen. Why? God tell me why? Oh.. and Spanish soaps. And Spanish talk shows. And some other kind of Spanish shows. I don’t know what they are because I can’t speak Spanish but I have them on my TV. And I am telling you, you know it’s bad, just plain wrong when after 3 hours and 45 minutes of flipping through 16 thousand channels you eventually find yourself sitting and staring at Spanish speaking people on your TV not knowing what they are doing or saying and somehow in the strangest way enjoying it.

JellyToast on August 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

That made my day -now I want to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir do it

koaiko on August 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Pretty disgusting. I really don’t know what else to say.

ILUVTX on August 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Where is the parody?

Happy Nomad on August 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM

“Obama – the Musical: He can sing! He can dance! He can wear mom pants!”

natasha333 on August 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

He can wear a pink tutu for all I care so long as the jug-eared bastard is gone Jan 20th. I can’t wait for the shot of Obama and Mooch (still clutching a lobster tail with drawn butter dripping down her chins) board that USAF plane, no longer called Air Force One, for the last time.

Happy Nomad on August 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Am I ready for this musical?

I will be once I prepares me rotten eggs and veggies and such.

This was a parody?

Of what?

Of themselves??

Sherman1864 on August 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

They’re using a telepromter.

How fitting.

Akzed on August 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

You’re too critical. I learned a lot. Did you know that contraception is now a sin?

tom on August 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

What was Nicole Ritchie doing front row and center? Not a surprise she’d be dumb enough to do this. Did you catch the part of the video where the GOP killed Trayvon Martin? Was the Romney gay bashing incident accurate? I can’t remember how Mitt responded to that.

Lothar on August 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

If this was from The Onion, I’d say it was brilliant. Seeing that it’s from Mother Jones, it’s just pathetic.

Dark Star on August 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

yongoro on August 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Lies…lies…lies…
No, actually, we have the worst president evah.

balkanmom on August 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

OK..hearing “unemployment’s in retreat” elicited a chuckle from me, but then hearing “Detroit is back on its feet” while I have Detroit news on TV in the background playing a story about the body parts they found in a sewer grate this morning – and were actually showing some of the body parts on the news in hopes that a viewer would recognize the few bits and pieces of a tattoo you could see – I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry…

Then I looked at the dorks in the video again and went with the laughing.

miConsevative on August 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM

no pucking SHOW TUNES… EVER!!!!!!

when comcast supported obama/robertscare i dropped them cold. netflix and hulu do me just fine, thank you. and with hulu you get current shows.

mittens on August 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Wait.. I thou

amend2 on August 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well, I can see why they had the free time. They sure as hell wouldn’t get called to do the original.

Ronnie on August 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I’ve always loved Les’ Miserables. Until now that is. I couldn’t help laughing at the new lyrics and utter hypocrisy they had to embrace in order to apply them. On the flip side, this is probably the absolute best Obama Campaign advertisement I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately it just repeats the mantra: Republicans are evil, stupid, and mean. Ah… the intellectual honesty of liberal ideology. ROFL.

eyesights on August 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Revolutionary?….nah, just Revolting!

FinallyRight on August 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

One term more.

Why?

Bmore on August 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

This is just too fabulous to be true.

Victor Hugo, the adulterous rich man unable to have a sensible relationship with his wife wrote “Les Miserables”, a sentimental moralising story that depends on more half-truths, improbabilities and cliches than a 911 conspiracy theory.

The “one day more” scene in the musical version is that point in the story, where the ignorant, ill-prepared, narcissistic, slightly tipsy, juvenile wanna-be-rebels (the fictional forerunners of the ‘occupy’ crowd) accost one another with laddish bravado.

The following day, having mistaken their own boasting for competence and having utterly underestimated what a trained and well-armed militia might inflict upon them, all but one are killed without having accomplished anything whatsoever. The obnoxiously superficial lover-boy survives only because somebody who didn’t even support the ‘revolution’ comes and drags his unconscious body from a sewer.

That “night before its all over” scene is what the Obama Musical has chosen to use to denigrate the opponents of Mr Obama in their “One term more” performance.

On top of all of the aforegoing, many of Mr Obama’s opponents might think that just “one term more” isn’t half enough time behind bars.

Truly it is a parody, but I confess I cannot decide whether they are mocking Obama supporters, Obama opponents, Victor Hugo and Les Miserables, or themselves. It is either awesomely clever or awesomely stupid but I am not smart enough to work out which.

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’ve always loved Les’ Miserables. Until now that is.

eyesights on August 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Surely everybody can love “Les Miserables” even more after this?

If these performers are actually Republicans pretending to be Democrats then this is a multi-layered parody both of Victor Hugo’s fanciful, sentimental baloney and of contemporary Democrats.

On the other hand, if these performers are truly Obama supporters then there is the sweet irony of them casting themselves perfectly in the role of Victor Hugo’s arrogant, clueless, snobby, intoxicated, condescending, self-congratulatory ‘intellectuals’; people who are out of touch with the needs and humanity of the common person, who understand nothing at all, who accomplish nothing worthwhile, and who get slaughtered a couple of scenes later.

Either way, I think its awesome.

YiZhangZhe on August 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM