Thompson wins WI primary for open Senate seat

posted at 9:21 am on August 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Political comeback?  That’s what Wisconsin media are calling Tommy Thompson’s win in yesterday’s primary, which turned out to be rather easy after a tough campaign:

Former Gov. Tommy Thompson took a major step in his political comeback Tuesday, winning a four-way Republican primary for an open U.S. Senate seat and setting up a sure-to-be nationally showcased November battle with Democrat Tammy Baldwin.

The Thompson-Baldwin contest will feature two candidates who are ideological opposites. On top of that, if the 50-year-old Baldwin prevails she would become the first openly gay member of the Senate.

Thompson declared victory shortly before 11 p.m., telling cheering supporters gathered at hotel in this Milwaukee suburb that “Wisconsin is on a roll” — a reference to the political star power of Republican Gov. Scott Walker and the newly selected GOP vice presidential choice, U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Janesville.

With more than 90 percent of the vote counted, Thompson led his nearest rival by some 20,000 votes.

Thompson had to run against a trio of tough primary opponents, who more or less split whatever coalition might have defeated the more establishment winner.  Tea Party grassroots went with either self-funder Eric Hovde and Club for Growth favorite Mark Neumann, who had represented Wisconsin in Congress before, as a member of the House rather than the Senate.  On top of that, Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald also had his hat in the ring, and his close ties to Scott Walker and his leadership in the Fleebagger crisis made him a formidable opponent.

Thompson now has to take on Tammy Baldwin, who might be even more doctrinaire liberal than former Senator Russ Feingold.  Baldwin wants to run for the open Senate seat left by Democrat Herb Kohl’s retirement by adopting the union playbook.  The NRSC has already begun painting her to the left of Barack Obama, and Baldwin has responded by attacking Republicans as the party of wealthy interests rather than the people.   That used to sell in Wisconsin, before the unions tried to undo an election and take over the state government.  This year, that attack simply doesn’t work, even when the unions spent millions to demonize Scott Walker after the public-employee union reforms took effect.

It will probably work even less in November against Thompson.  The former governor and Secretary of HHS has too long a record on the center-right to be painted as an extremist, and Thompson will benefit from Walker’s GOTV organization and the sudden competitiveness of Mitt Romney against Obama in Wisconsin.  If Thompson wins, the GOP takeover of Wisconsin will be all but complete within two years — a stunning turnaround for the cradle of Midwestern populism.

Comments

…I like that old phart!

KOOLAID2 on August 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM

…The cheese is changing!

KOOLAID2 on August 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM

On Wisconsin!

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Let’s tuen Wisconsin red.

bayview on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

…the cows are sick and tired of getting milked!

KOOLAID2 on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

How are the polls looking for the GOP in this Senate race thus far?

Doughboy on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

On Wisconsin!

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

…I’m humming their fight song right now!

KOOLAID2 on August 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I’m no Tommy Thompson fan, but I was rooting for him in the primary as it gives the Republicans an incredibly strong ticket in Wisconsin. Also, it must be said: PPP was wayyy off. I hope people stop taking its polls seriously.

GOPRanknFile on August 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

An even more interesting development in WI is that union backed candidates ousted some more moderate-leaning (relatively speaking) Dem incumbents in Milwaukee. People always talk about Republicans being extreme, but here in WI, the Democrats have taken a hard left turn.

gumbyandpokey on August 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM

For all the whining from people about how Thompson winning would be a terrible blow to conservatism in Wisconsin or something, picking up this seat is very, very good for a prospective Romney win.

This gets us one step closer to throwing Obamacare out the window.

KingGold on August 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM

On Wisconsin, indeed!

Abby Adams on August 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Cheese curds for all!

hillsoftx on August 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM

People always talk about Republicans being extreme, but here in WI America, the Democrats have taken a hard left turn.

gumbyandpokey on August 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Enhanced for accuracy.

hillsoftx on August 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

“How are the polls looking for the GOP in this Senate race thus far?”

The last MU law poll had Thompson ahead of Baldwin by a few pts. She’s a good campaigner and will not be easy to beat.

Btw, that MU poll had Tommy winning by 7 pts, so I guess it was the most accurate out there.

gumbyandpokey on August 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

How are the polls looking for the GOP in this Senate race thus far?

Doughboy on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The two most recent polls:
Marquette University 8/2 – 8/5 1188 LV 43 48 Thompson +5
CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac 7/31 – 8/6 1428 LV 47 47 Tie

GOPRanknFile on August 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

And with Thompson on the ballot and Ryan on the ticket, if WI can’t go to the GOP this fall, it will never go GOP in a Presidential election again.

gumbyandpokey on August 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

That means lots and lots of Republican voters will turn out.

docflash on August 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Rasmussen had that liberal turd Sherrod Brown tied with Josh Mandel here in Ohio.

gsherin on August 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Perhaps if WI turns around & becomes more friendly, I’ll consider driving through there again on my way out E. to visit friends & family in the summer so they can have some of my dollars.

Well, nahhhhh. Too many city folks on that route.
I’ll still opt for Iowa.

Badger40 on August 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

If Thompson wins, the GOP takeover of Wisconsin will be all but complete within two years — a stunning turnaround for the cradle of Midwestern popusocialism.

ITguy on August 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Rasmussen has Thompson losing by a pretty big margin 48-41

Capitalist Infidel on August 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Plus it’d mean I;d have to still go thru MN.
And I will never hit that state again.
They are horrible to out of staters.
I kept getting pulled over by State P.’s while trying to find a hotel along I90 at night.
I have never been so harassed in my life.
MN, IMO, sucks bad.
But maybe WI will infect them.
Bcs I’m getting tired of all these MN & WI people moving into ND.
I feel like we’re busting at the seams.

Badger40 on August 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Is the surprised win of Ted Yoho over Cliff Stearns final? Are we getting another Sharron Angle here?

Stearns had been a good conservative congressman and is chairman of an investigations subcommittee for the House Energy and Commerce Committee, that led high-profile probes of Planned Parenthood and the failed California solar energy company Solyndra.

bayview on August 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Wow…Guess ‘Stake through the heart’ after Mr. Thompson’s Governorship didn’t qualify as an option.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM

ITguy on August 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Yep.

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Don’t union members ever get a bit suspicious of their leaders? When they worry about the 1% don’t they see the union hierarchy as secure members who secure their own benefits and spend the rest on political campaigns. I understand that they want to keep the Dems in power but the money they spend seems way over the top.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You liked it the other way better?

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Well, as someone who has lived in Wisconsin all of my six decades of life I have to say I am extremely disappointed that this big-spender part Rino won. ONCE AGAIN, if it weren’t for Dane county and Milwaukee he wouldn’t have gotten it. Dane put him over. I am getting more and more disgusted with Dane and Milwaukee; they are, basically, making the votes of the the rest of the state (which takes up about 90% of the acreage) useless. Our votes don’t count much anymore when Madison and Milwaukee liberals are included. If it were up to me I would send those two to be part of Illinois liberals where they belong and leave Wisconsin red and conservative as most of the area of the state is (if you exclude those two).

I am, for the first time in many years, debating not voting for senate … not that I want a Dem to get in – again- but because I would probably have to take my barf bag along in with me when I vote if I do vote for him…. and I most certainly will NOT vote for the D…

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

MU seems to have the state pretty well canvased. They are showing the most accuracy. I believe Sabato has the race leaning towards leaning R. Clearly sees this as THE battleground state, and assumes Obama-Romney will be tight. I wonder if the Ryan pick has really done nothing more than break through the Obama defense he had been building in the swing states. Romney had been charging hard – Obama put up lines of defense in the swing states to halt the charge – maybe Mitt is starting to move again.

Zomcon JEM on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Rasmussen has Romney up 4 today in the tracking poll. And apparently the lead would be larger if leaners were included.

bayview on August 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Rasmussen has Thompson losing by a pretty big margin 48-41

Capitalist Infidel on August 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

JimLennon on August 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Pack – vote, get rid of the dem. Then if TT strays too far off the reservation deal with him in 2018. We need Reid out of power. Don’t let your desire for perfection stop a greater good.

Zomcon JEM on August 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

You liked it the other way better?

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Oh no.

I just wanted emphasize what ITguy was saying and what a lot of people around the country may not be aware of which is that Wisconsin has Socialists roots. Ed was kind of sugar coating it.

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Sorry, not reading for comprehension. Need more coffee!!!!

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I wonder how many Wisconsin voters, particularly males, are repelled by Tammy Baldwin campaigning as a gay candidate. On there other hand, were she to campaign as a lesbian candidate…

Archivarix on August 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Archivarix on August 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I don’t think it registers. All we have to do focus on her radical voting record.

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

THOMPSON is NOT the NEW REPUBLICAN Party.

If we are in the beginning of making a NEW REPUBLICAN PARTY then Thompson is a setback.

UGH.

PappyD61 on August 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

“Rassmussen’s most recent polling data for that race is 3 weeks old, though. There may have been some movement in that time, particularly now since Thompson has the nomination officially sewn up.”

Plus, that poll was taken at the height of the circular firing squad/negative advertising.

What a fascinating campaign this will be. Can Thompson still win if Rommey/Ryan loses, which they probably will? If Obama wasn’t incredibly popular here, that kind of ticket…with Ryan and Thompson on it…could have won WI in the general election.

gumbyandpokey on August 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Archivarix on August 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Oh, trust me it does register, if subconsciously. Not with political junkies like you and me, perhaps, but with an average male voter who takes Playboy Channel over C-SPAN any day and of the week and at least twice on Sunday.

Archivarix on August 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The only real downside here to having a well-known candidate like Thompson as the Senate nominee is because of his past history with welfare reform in the state, and his moderate Republican persona, he could potentially throw a stink bomb into the Romney-Ryan ticket by trying to go his own way on the budget and Medicare reforms.

Thompson is tied to Paul Ryan, like it or not for Tommy, because Ryan’s above him now on the national ticket. If he thinks he can pull in a few more swing voters in Wisconsin by going rogue on some of the tougher decisions on the reforms sought in D.C., it doesn’t just become a state issue; the big media and Team Obama will make the split between Thompson and Ryan into a national one.

jon1979 on August 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Consider this: a vote for any GOP senate candidate, even a RINO, is a vote against Harry Reid as Senate Majority leader. McConnell is no prize, but he’s a lot better than The Dinge.

TedInATL on August 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Thompson will vote with Ron Johnson to support the entire Romney agenda – tax cuts, entitlement reform, dismantle Obamacare.

Thompson will also vote to confirm every Romney appointee to the federal bench.

Baldwin will do none of these things.

Romney needs a mandate and a Republican majority in the Senate. Give me a break. Vote for Thompson.

matthew8787 on August 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

“How are the polls looking for the GOP in this Senate race thus far?”

gumbyandpokey on August 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I have seen the polling all over the place. I have seen Thompson ahead, but have also seen Baldwin ahead in a few polls as well.

This should be one of the 3 most competitive races imo along with the Scott Brown Race and the George Allan race in VA. Would not be shocked to see the difference in all 3 be under 50k.

Regardless, I do think that having Ryan on the ticket will push Thompson over the top. The better Romney does in Wisconsin, seems like a 50/50 bet to win Wisconsin now, the better Thompson will do. And that really applies to many states. I can even see Kyrillos and MacMahon being competitive in NJ and CT if Romney is able to close the gap to 4-6 against Obama in those states.

milcus on August 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

A lot of states have this problem: WA, OR, CA, MT, I could go on.

Happens here in ND, too.
Local politics is more important to get involved in.
Never give up.
IT is here at the local level that we can institute the most chanbge by voting 3rd party. It is possible. But I will still vote R, even if it’s a RINO. Then I’ll call the SOBs everyday about what they’re doing.
I HATE Rick Berg.
But I REFUSE to let Heidi Heitkamp win.
So I’ll; vote for this turd again & try & hold him responsible.

Badger40 on August 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Run, Tommy, run!

At least his political identity won’t hinge on his junk and how he gets his jollies.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM

WAUKESHA, Wis. — In the final week of his primary campaign, Tommy G. Thompson, the 70-year-old former governor of Wisconsin, performed 50 push-ups for a local newspaper editorial board to prove he was spry enough for the Senate post he is seeking.

I’m wondering if the openly gay Baldwin is as fit.

Happy Nomad on August 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I have a hard time keeping up with Wisconsin politics from here in Texas but didn’t Thompson reject a whole lot of federal welfare matching money to clean up Milwaukee back in Clinton’s day? If I remember it resulted in a trail of bedouin moochers trundling down to Chicago and causing friction with their long time takers.

My wife and I were discussing how amazing it is that the state brought forth Robert LaFollette and the union charge appears to be turning the tide. My most politically astute son mentioned he had never heard of him. I guess they don’t teach American history anymore do they?

I bet Thompson shows a more conservative bent with reinforcements around him. Right now Kay Bailey Hutchison is yelling about how conservative she is and the moderate label is unfair. My hunch is she would have tacked further right given reinforcements as well but she had her chance and will have to settle with her reputation.

DanMan on August 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

jon1979 on August 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Thompson will not go rogue on Romney-Ryan before the election. It was Ryan, Walker and Preibus who dragged Thompson across the finish line.

If Thompson tries any stunt, the trio will ensure that Thompson is defeated. He will stay in camp b4 and after the election.

matthew8787 on August 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The two most recent polls have Thompson up or tie

Marquette University 8/2 – 8/5 1188 LV Baldwin 43 Thompson 48 Thompson +5

CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac 7/31 – 8/6 1428 LV Baldwin 47 Thompson 47 Tie

bayview on August 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

You’ve gotta vote PackerFan. Bottom line…We’ve need to take the Senate at all costs.

Tommy will be one term and we have a deep bench of conservatives when he steps down.

Please, just vote.

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Voted for Hovde, but will accept Tommy. Make it known to him how we expect him to vote. Looking forward to Reid losing his leadership, ala Pelosi in 2010.

the_schmoo on August 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I feel your pain, Northern Virginia is the bane of Virginia’s existence. It is hard to believe that that small area of the state can almost wipe out the rest.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I want a runoff election. Thompson was the only guy out of four that was worthless. He set the path for Wisconsin’s fiscal doom well before Doyle got a crack at it.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Four candidate republican primary.

It would be better to do that for congressional seats not for senate.

Tommy, however needs to come up to the times, he is rather a retro guy of a different era, and he needs to get his competitors supporters in for a big group hug and a town hall meeting.

Has he said it was dumb to say something nice about Obamacare a couple years back?

Fleuries on August 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

How do you know he’ll be one term? He sat in the Governor’s mansion for three.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

O/T

@ShannonBream BREAKING: judge in PA reportedly refuses to block state’s voter ID law – will NOT grant injunction

Flora Duh on August 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

wow! I did lose track of Thompson. sheesh!

DanMan on August 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Don’t like Thompson but Baldwin is bad, almost as bad as Warren.

This should be one of the easier pickups after Missouri and Nebraska. A far left lesbian from Madison running against a popular four term former governor who’s won both Dane and Milwaukee County multiple times. In a general election. As a Republican.

Thompson should run a good 5 points ahead of R&R atleast.

—-

To get the Senate, the GOP needs to win: Missouri, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, and Nebraska.

Plus atleast one of Virginia or Massachusetts.

Surprise victories in New Mexico, Connecticut, Ohio, Florida, or Hawaii would be nice supplements.

Nelsen on August 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

WisRich on August 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

How do you know he’ll be one term? He sat in the Governor’s mansion for three.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I feel for yall Wisconsinites.
Here in ND we have the same bunch of RINOs running things.
John Hoeven, Rick Berg, etc. They ALL have grown our state govt too high.
Meanwhile, property tax relief here is pathetic. It’s just to shut us up.
How is a measley $400-$500 in property tax relief off of $5,000+ for me?
ND grows & grows & grows state govt, all under Republican leadership.
I personally am getting pi$$ed about it, as many of my fellow citizens.
We are doing our best to get rid of these people &/or make them accountable.
It’s a lot of work.
But I will still hold my nose & vote for the least worst of the worst.
WTH can one do?

Badger40 on August 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Nelsen on August 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Mica won in Florida. He isn’t horrible just a bet undependable. I think the Republican Party of Florida did a poor job of explaining the redistricting and who was running for what.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Nelsen on August 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Gosh I wish I could read. I don’t know if Connie Mack can beat Nelson, he’s pretty popular. I don’t get it myself.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Heh! I’d remind you that parts of Richmond and the Tidewater region aren’t exactly GOP-friendly either. But take heart. Romney supporters came to my door in Arlington last weekend. They are not taking any vote for granted. True, the area is liberal enough that criminals like Jim Moran will win in a walk but when it comes to the Senate and President, the statewide totals count and every Republican vote even in NoVa will mattter.

Happy Nomad on August 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM

There was an article I think it came out in 2010 that compared Baldwin and Ryan. They were both sent to Washington as young up and comers with high expectations from their parties. The liberal paper basically called Baldwin an embarrassment with no significant accomplishments besides being gay where as Ryan was making really waves. The paper ended up endorsing her Republican opponent. When she gets hammered in November, which she will because she is crazy, and Ryan becomes VP the comparison will be complete.

sammypants on August 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Too many to do individual responses… thank you for your input. I will take my barf bag along and try to be quiet while barfing in the voting booth, LOL.

DanMan- I don’t recall him doing anything for Milwaukee in particular. I only recall him as governor and how deep in debt he got our state… oh, and how he didn’t have the backbone to stand up against the unions, but did whatever they wanted. He was, at least back when he was a governor, a pushover for the libs, unions, and dems (I know, those are one and the same); either he agreed with them or else he had absolutely no backbone to stand up to any of them.

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

How do you know he’ll be one term? He sat in the Governor’s mansion for three.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM

He was Governor for four terms. How is it that I know that and you don’t?

Happy Nomad on August 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Baldwin has responded by attacking Republicans as the party of wealthy interests rather than the people. That used to sell in Wisconsin, before the unions tried to undo an election and take over the state government. This year, that attack simply doesn’t work

Yes, but you forget about the people who will vote for Baldwin to prove to their neighbors they’re not homophobes.

ButterflyDragon on August 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It would be nice to put this WI senate seat in the R column. It was nice of Kohl to retire and open the door.

OT:

gsherin on August 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Well, I consider that good news. I thought Mandel was way down. My paper, The Cincinnati Enquirer, loves to dump on Mandel any chance it can get. I think with Miami University grad Ryan on the ticket, you’ll have a monster GOP turnout in three populated SW counties (Hamilton, Butler, and Warren), which will help Mandel. Beyond that, sorry to play identity politics, but he’s a young, married, Jewish guy. That should help in pockets of Cuyahoga (Cleveland) and Franklin (Columbus) counties.

I also think that Obama’s war on fossil fuels loses him a lot of blue-collar energy-industry voters.

Ryan should attract a lot of Catholics around the state, which may weaken Obama around Toledo, Cleveland, and Akron.

We’ll see.

BuckeyeSam on August 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The same can be said of California. Five counties out of the state’s 58 contributed the majority of votes which keep the state thought of as blue. And those votes are made up of welfare takers, union looters, and the self-loathing inherited rich.

Freelancer on August 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Don’t union members ever get a bit suspicious of their leaders?

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Of course they do. That’s why unions have pushed closed shop laws. To force people to contribute to their slush fund if they want a job in a particular industry.

ButterflyDragon on August 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Well, nahhhhh. Too many city folks on that route.
I’ll still opt for Iowa.

Badger40 on August 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I’m counting on it! You’re visit every summer is the highlight of my summer. This summer was fantastic, seeing you AND txmomof3!

lovingmyUSA on August 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I did not know Thompson was running for Senate in Wisconsin. He was a very popular Governor. If Wisconsin turns red, there is still hope for Colorado.

lea on August 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

THOMPSON is NOT the NEW REPUBLICAN Party.

UGH.

PappyD61 on August 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Thompson is a RINO. He’s also aging poorly. I don’t think he’ll be around long for his comeback.

rickv404 on August 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Which explains why Waukesha County also went for Thompson, right?

Steve Eggleston on August 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

…The cheese is changing!

KOOLAID2 on August 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM

…The cheese is maturing!

esnap on August 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

rickv404 on August 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

What’s the Wisconsin law on replacement Senators?

Does the Governor get to choose a seat-filler or does it go to a special election immediately?

teke184 on August 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM

While the former is true, the latter is inverted, especially in western Wisconsin. Once one gets west of US 51 (or north of US 8), that is classic Thompson country.

I will say Ryan’s quasi-endorsement of Thompson by mentioning only him and his early-1990s reforms on school choice and welfare Sunday(followed up by RNC chair Reince Preibus doing the same Monday morning on Charlie Sykes’ show) delivered every county that’s part of the 1st Congressional District, including Waukesha County, and consequently the win, to Thompson.

Steve Eggleston on August 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

What’s the Wisconsin law on replacement Senators?

teke184 on August 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Special election.

Steve Eggleston on August 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

He was Governor for four terms. How is it that I know that and you don’t?

Happy Nomad on August 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

He was elected to four terms. He only served half of the fourth.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Priebus, even. Need caffeine.

Steve Eggleston on August 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I’m wondering how long it’ll be before an ad comes out noting that state spending increased every year under Thompson, including increased taxes on gasoline and tobacco. He’s as much of a fiscal conservative as Mike Huckabee.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I was just listening to the Green Bay conservative talk radio and almost all the calls in were pretty much saying the same thing:
- that the only reason Thompson won was because he was running against 3 others (3 REAL conservatives), which split the vote
and
- that they are so disgusted with Thompson winning that the host, Jerry Bader, had a hard time convincing them to go vote against Baldwin.

This win is a huge disappointment to the Wisconsin conservatives.

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM

rickv404 on August 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I would not classify him as a RINO. During his tenure as Governor, he got some very conservative legislation passed in Wisconsin, especially regarding welfare reform. Wisonsin has always been a welfare state. When I was growing up in Illinois, many people would move across the border to Wisconsin in order to receive welfare checks. Wisconsin’s economy did improve under Thompson.

I am a TEA Party member, and we have to be careful to not make snap judgements just because someone has been around for a long time.

lea on August 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM

lea on August 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Look into Thompson’s spending record, then.

Yeah, it’s a lefty site. Too few conservative sites have been willing to go after him.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM

When the southern part of the Green Bay audience stops sending Tom Petri back to DC and Dean Kaufert back to Madison, let me know.

Steve Eggleston on August 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Special election.

Steve Eggleston on August 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Good. The state’s been election-deprived of late.

Barnestormer on August 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I think he has the best chance to beat the left crazy bat Baldwin. This is the Wisconsin version of the wicked witch of the west in Polosi.

watertown on August 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

and

This win is a huge disappointment to the Wisconsin conservatives.

PackerFan4Life on August 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM

They really need to have a runoff election if no one gets 50%. This way you can have someone who in not wanted by 70% of the party still be the nominee.

Push on your elected officials to do runoff elections. Many States already do this.

Steveangell on August 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM

What the leftists slobber over.

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Thompson said he’d sue Obama for unraveling the Clinton/Gingrich Welfare Reform.

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM