Were Illinois state workers forced to attend a Pelosi rally for Jesse Jackson Jr in Chicago?

posted at 10:41 am on August 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

So says one state worker, who has come forward and signed an affadavit to that effect.  Marcy Bailey worked for the Illinois Student Assistance Commission in December of last year, and was instructed by her supervisors to attend a rally sponsored by Rev. Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH Coalition in support of spending on student loans being held in Chicago — hundreds of miles from her Clay County home.  Sensing somehow that a Rainbow PUSH rally might be overtly political and overtly hostile to her own political beliefs, Bailey tried to demur — and was ordered to attend, and to charge the state for all her expenses.

And that’s just the start:

According to the whistle-blower, Rev. Jackson also encouraged the government employees to load first-generation and low-income college students up with student loan debt — because Democrats in Congress, he allegedly promised, would eventually pass laws to forgive that debt later. “[T]hose people will continue to vote Democratic,” Jackson Sr. said, according to the whistle-blower.

On March 3, Pelosi flew to Chicago to endorse Rep. Jackson Jr., 17 days ahead of a heated March 20 Democratic primary he later won. Pelosi was scheduled to make the endorsement at a press conference later in the day, after she participated in an hour-long “forum” hosted by the elder Jackson at the headquarters of his progressive Rainbow PUSH Coalition.

Pelosi politicized that forum, jumping the gun and endorsing Jackson Jr. earlier than planned.

“One of the reasons I am here, and I will do this following this wonderful meeting, is to publicly state my endorsement of Jesse Jackson Jr. for re-election,” Pelosi said at the Rainbow PUSH forum. “I do so with great pride. I remember when he came to the Congress with a great name and a great tradition of his parents. But he came and he made his own mark in the Congress from his own generation.”

Why did her supervisors want her to attend?

“When I arrived at the meeting location, our ISAC directors instructed us to go to the second floor and congregate in a side hallway outside of zwhere Jesse Jackson Sr. was speaking to a group of individuals, including candidates and other political figures that were being addressed as ‘judge’ and ‘senator,’” Bailey wrote. “With cameras flashing, Jesse Jackson Sr., candidates and politicians left the conference room, and we were staged to look like we were political supporters. In other words, we were used as props during a campaign season.”

There is no indication at this time that Nancy Pelosi or either of the Jacksons knew that ISAC workers had been compelled to attend the event.  However, for the ISAC supervisors who ordered the attendance of dozens of staffers for the rally, this could be a very big problem.  The Daily Caller notes that state law prohibits the use of public funds for political activities.  The ISAC uses federal funding, which may create an even bigger problem for the agency, as it would almost certainly violate the Hatch Act.

Be sure to read the entire article, especially for the reaction Matthew Boyle received from ISAC spokesman John Samuels, who clearly needs a lesson in public relations.  In fact, his rude and hostile reaction calls into question how he got chosen for this particular job in the first place, and certainly doesn’t do anything to assuage concerns of politicization at ISAC.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

exactly HOW long does it take to treat someone with Bipolar?

GhoulAid on August 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Depends – when does the statute of limitations run out?

DamnCat on August 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thank you very much!

I understand why you all wouldn’t want to go full FB.

But now I also am getting a micro view of what trying to steer this behemoth of a nation to fiscal sanity is going to be like.

My condolences to Ed and Allah and a virtual bottle of Aspirin as you weather this commenter tantrum tantrum

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The Minnesota atmosphere can hold you back like that.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yeah, all this clean air.

Too bad we can’t erect a giant HEPA filter on our border with WI to keep out your disease laden soot.

Bishop on August 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

PS … we need an edit button… please disregard the repeated work.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Doesn’t Ace live in NY? That tells you how ‘conservative’ his blog is.

faraway on August 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I kind of suspect Ed and AP are innocent bits of helpless debris being swept along in the Town Hall obsession with dialing for dollars.

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I agree. Too bad the Boss isn’t still running the place.

Lightswitch on August 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Free speech, what a drag huh, you will be welcome to stay and we will be welcome to leave. I just hope it doesn’t come to that.

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Lightswitch on August 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

How are you? Things looking better now? BTW, I lost your phone number again. Was gonna call. If you’ll send it to me (again), I’ll call. Promise!

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I hope Marcy Bailey has been put into a witness protection program.

Buy Danish on August 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, all this clean air.

Bishop on August 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

At least you erected wind power generators…that don’t work because you forgot that winter is cold.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, how dare their customers express their disapproval of new and restrictive changes to the site.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I am not curbing your free speech. Some people on this thread are going off a lot of assumption and a little bit of fact and basically having a tantrum… saying that is not curbing your free speech… you however seem to think I don’t have a right to think some people on this thread are having a tantrum and saying so.

please feel free to disagree.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I hope Marcy Bailey has been put into a witness protection program.

Buy Danish on August 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Under protectiion of Holder’s DoJ? I hope not.

DamnCat on August 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Two Poverty Pimps side by side who should be in orange jump suits.

lilium479 on August 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Heh. Well,…good luck.

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Exactly, where did I say you did not have the right to say we were throwing a tantrum.

As I said,

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

TMZ Flash: HotAir was seen last night with 2 blondes. He says he picked them up on Facebook. No comment from his wife and 15,000 children.

faraway on August 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

And how dare someone point out that we don’t have all the facts and that there is a tip line for expressing your grievances rather than a thread that is much better suited to pointing out the AstroTurfing left

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

please feel free to disagree.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Let me guess… You work for Salem Communications.

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

So now we know why Jesse Jr. is at the Mayo Clinic being treated for “bi-polar disorder”.

RebeccaH on August 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you’re slow…

Note about Facebook commenting: Hot Air is experimenting with using Facebook for commenting. Right now, it is only the Headlines section of the site that will have Facebook comments.

And ‘tip lines’ are for tips.

faraway on August 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The tip line is for news tips, not your feelings about the website. You’re not too bright, are you?

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Farandaway and MadCon… I appologize… the correct email for actually getting word to Ed that you aren’t too happy with developments is below.

ed@hotair.com

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

ed@hotair.com

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Are you also going to apologize to them for implying that they were lying and for suggesting that they did not have a legitimate right to discuss their feeling in the comment threads with each other regarding stated plans and intentions by the blog managers now as well?

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

PAINT ME surprised.

Pork-Chop on August 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Facebook is the mark of the beast. Pretty soon you won’t be able to do anything without it. There are already many Facebook-only deals and offers. And now Facebook cameras spotting you when you shop. There’s your 666 on your forehead.

Rusty Allen on August 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Who ae you? You work for Salem Communications, don’t you? Well, if you don’t, tell them that the overwhelming majority of commenters at Hot Air say, “No Facebook. Period”.

kingsjester on August 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Look at Pelosi’s face. Either she just had a face lift…

GreatGarloo on August 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Ah, so the picture was taken in the early morning hours!

Valkyriepundit on August 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

kingsjester on August 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment against FB… I was simply stating my condolences to ED and Allah … particularly in light of the personal attacks on ED. I think HA is better than than what I read in the comments. Some people took issue to what I said.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

kingsjester on August 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

What utter and complete bull$hit. You implied that people discussing this issue were liars spouting off with no information and bi.t.ching and complaining in an inappropriate place and manner.

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I never said anyone was a liar… I never thought anyone was a liar. I do think we don’t know all the facts.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

. I spend as much time at http://www.theblogmocracy.com/ as I do here, so at least I will have someplace else to go.

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

It looks good, thanks. For funny, yet scary, check this out.

Lightswitch on August 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

It looks good, thanks. For funny, yet scary, check this out.

Lightswitch on August 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Wink wink nod nod, I wrote that ;)

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Lol…I’ll resend my number.

Lightswitch on August 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for pointing out an email I’ve given out for years. Seriously, who do you think you are? You’re talking to people who have been fielding complaints for a long damned time.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM

So let me get this straight. At a Rainbow PUSH event, an irregularity occurred that may involve violation of the Hatch Act, a potential federal violation. And someone thinks that Eric Holder is going to latch onto that? Really?

Someone has forgotten the definition of insanity. You know, that “doing the same thing over again and expecting a different outcome” thing.

Don’t make me start quoting Forrest Gump.

If only the Russian’s had just killed us all when they made their recent submarine visit in the Gulf.

Carnac on August 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Here is a novel concept for you, learn the definition of the word “implied” and then re-read this comment of yours.

please feel free to disagree.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM

kingsjester on August 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Normally I don’t chime in with these types of accusations, but in this case I think you’re spot on. I have no idea who this new guy is, but they sure are pissy about folks disapproving of new changes that clearly don’t benefit the community.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’ve got the site bookmarked, SWalker. Hotair has been my number 1 site for quite some time, but I really dislike using Facebook. Also, the ads here have grown more obnoxious, especially when I have to keep my sound on and I’m overtaken by audiovid commercials. ugh.

Lightswitch on August 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I took the above emphasized and bold portion to mean that he felt I was trying to stifle his free speech.

hence my comment on the free speech part and the “fell free to disagree”

I am assuming this is the part where you believe I am ‘implying’ people are lying… I am not They have the facts from management note and making a lot of assumptions about what that will mean in the future.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I wonder why they would bother to bring in state employees from 5 hours away. There are plenty of Illinois state employees in the Chicago area who could have been brought in instead.

J.S.K. on August 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I took the above portion in bold to mean that he felt I was trying to stifle his free speech.

hence my comment on the free speech part and the “fell free to disagree”

I am assuming this is the part where you believe I am ‘implying’ people are lying… I am not we have the facts from management note and it seems there are a lot of assumptions about what that will mean in the future.

redone for clarity

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

You need to stop talking about assumptions to those who have been here for years, and have no idea who you are. I and many others have watched this site devolve since Salem bought it a few years ago.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yeah, this new “FaceDURRRK-commenting” is so new and exciting and totally hasnt been done on other blogs/sites/forums. Who could possibly possess an inkling of where this is heading, what with this concept being so new that HotGas is the first dot.com to ever give it a whirl.

Jeddite on August 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yikes, I had a sex change.

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I think you may assume that if FB becomes an integral part of HA posting, there will be a major loss of posters because of it. That may be offset by any additional profit or gain Salem stands to make. If it is a business decision based solely on dollars, without regard to customer satisfaction, so be it. Most of us are fans of capitalism and power of the markets, both positive and negative.

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Achele175

Yeah, insulting others as childish (tantrums) is a great way to encourage free speech.

I will say this one more time, I said your are welcome to stay and we are free to leave.

MontanaMmmm on August 14, 2012 at 1:27 PM

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I think you are right. And it’s sad that the decision might be based purely on the bottom line. What would be lost may very well be irreplaceable. I do however hope that you are wrong and what is feared may not happen.

Not saying that change won’t happen. But that it won’t happen in the way people are thinking it will.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Facebook will drag your spirit to the pit of bitterness and gall.

Rusty Allen on August 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Doesn’t really matter. Most of us have noticed the negative changes since Malkin sold HA, and post here in spite of them. It won’t take much to reform the community elsewhere.

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM

a capella on August 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM

If that happens, I do hope to find it. I like reading the threads where the long time members are in top form and I learn a lot from them.

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

“Jesse Jackson Sr. also told us not to worry about loading students up with too much college debt, because Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats will eventually forgive all student loan debt. On the promise of debt forgiveness, ‘those people will continue to vote Democratic.’”

J_Crater on August 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

… and where is the Consumer Financial Protection Agency (CFPA) when consumers need them the most ?

J_Crater on August 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Achele175 on August 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Yea, using your posting today as an indicator… I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on an invitation if I were you.

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Doesn’t Ace live in NY? That tells you how ‘conservative’ his blog is.

faraway on August 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Don’t be such an ignoranimus, not everyone in NY is a liberal.
My district is red. We’re armed, (I’m packing at work) God fearing Conservatives as are most people in the mountain/farm country we live in.

Buttercup on August 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Buttercup on August 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Funny how that works eh? I live on the Left Coast, California in fact. We see pretty much the same thing here. Move inland (i.e. away from the ocean) 30 or 40 miles and the districts become surprisingly Conservative and the firearms ownership rate goes way up.

SWalker on August 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Not surprising.
I work for a school district in AZ.
We were told in a rally by the superintendent how to vote on budget overrides.
We were told not to put our kids in charter schools.

itsnotaboutme on August 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Both need to be taken off the taxpayer’s employ soon.

Amazingoly on August 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I just want to congratulate Ed for resisting his urge to pull some of that “on the other hand, a pox on everybody’s house” stuff.

Go Ed!

misterpeasea on August 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Wonder if JJJR will be able to remain a congressional rep. if he has to take bipolar meds? Hmmm… wonder how many on capitol hill already are on some bipolar meds? Doesn’t that make them, you know, not able to be good representatives to their constituents?

cpasherry on August 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

What is that all about, I mean for a non-techno geek like myself?

Bishop on August 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Sites that force people to use FB to comment get moolah. Sadly, with the more and more onerous ads I’ve seen used on HA, it doesn’t surprise me. I’m visiting less and less as a result. This site’s become nearly as bad as TownHall…which is what I guess Salem and Ed wanted.

MadisonConservative on August 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m new, so add my voice…. will no longer post here, either. I came here looking for a new posting home. It would be a huge disappointment if HA went with FB. There are so many places I don’t/can’t post because of having to use FB. Was glad that HA wasn’t like that.

Don’t like FB’s privacy policies and had to go to a lot of trouble to delete my account….not easy as they pretend. It’s hidden among many layers. And, I don’t like to be tracked when I’m off their site.

Re Ads: I use FF and have Adblock Plus. I see no ads here or other places where I’ve posted, although I’ve seen the complaints. ??

avagreen on August 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM

This would be unbelievable, except that this stuff has been done before.

In the 1970s, a department supervisor in the Department of the Interior was ordered by the political leadership to plump for the Equal Rights Amendment, both with his subordinate workers and in official contacts with the public. The supervisor said that (a) this seemed unrelated to his mission, and (b) he had his own thoughts on the subject, and didn’t feel comfortable complying with the order. He was told he’d have to.

Reagan did a radio broadcast about it.

J.E. Dyer on August 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Pravda!

Sherman1864 on August 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM

What is going on with all the comments about FaceBook? I don’t see any FB comments. Of course, I’m not logged in to FB. I don’t have an account (and probably never will).

GWB on August 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM