Romney campaign: $7.4 million raised online since Ryan was named VP

posted at 6:01 pm on August 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Enthusiasm, to the tune of $100,000+ per hour:

It’s a testament to the phenomenal excitement that greeted Palin’s selection in 2008 that Team McCain raised $8.8 million in just 48 hours after she was named VP. As for Ryan, Ed noted on Sunday that Team Mitt collected $3.5 million on 41,000 donations during the first day after he was introduced, which tells us two things. One: As you might expect, the bigger donations from more ardent Ryan fans came flooding in right away. Over the first 24 hours, the average contribution was north of 85 bucks. Two: Although it took them two more days to raise just a bit more money than they did on day one, they’re still averaging 30,000 donations per day over the last 48 hours. That’s the smaller-money donors flowing in now to show their support too, which has driven the average contribution down to a shade above $73.

But never mind all that; given the huge sums being spent this year on both sides, this is pocket change. The real money is in Republican Super PACs. Anyone seen any reports on how they’re doing this week? I’d be awfully curious to know whose side the GOP’s megabucks donors are on with respect to Ryan’s selection. Are they in sync with the base, which is thrilled to see Romney show such balls on an issue as momentous as entitlement reform? Or are they in sync with the pessimistic strategists who are already in “Game Change II” mode for Politico?

In more than three dozen interviews with Republican strategists and campaign operatives — old hands and rising next-generation conservatives alike — the most common reactions to Ryan ranged from gnawing apprehension to hair-on-fire anger that Romney has practically ceded the election…

They’re worried about inviting Medicare — usually death for Republicans — into the campaign. They’re worried it sidetracks the jobs issue. They’re worried he’ll expose the fact that Romney doesn’t have a budget plan. Most of all, they’re worried that Romney was on track to lose anyway — and now that feels all but certain…

“He just doesn’t seem like he can step into the job on Day One,” said [one] strategist, who professed himself a Ryan fan…

“This is the day the music died,” one Republican operative involved in 2012 races said after the rollout. The operative said that every House candidate now is racing to get ahead of this issue.

Another strategist emailed midway through Romney and Ryan’s first joint event Saturday: “The good news is that this ticket now has a vision. The bad news is that vision is basically just a chart of numbers used to justify policies that are extremely unpopular.”

Good lord. I see some potential pitfalls in the pick too but I don’t remotely believe that “Romney has practically ceded the election.” A terrifying thought, my friends: Not only are there people out there who are considerably more eeyorish than I am, but they’re apparently all working for the GOP. Terrific.

Here’s Stewart and “The Daily Show” with a cute segment on how confident each side is that Ryan’s going to win them the election. Pessimistic exit question: What’s ultimately a bigger liability for Romney’s new VP, the Medicare debate — or this?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My two cents.

lynncgb on August 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM

A very reasoned and reasonable position. I too accept Romney and Ryan as our team to hit the field running with. I have no animosity towards either. Are they my ideal candidates, no, but then I pretty picky. Lol! I think we can and will win. I have not questioned that. HeII I think many folks could beat 0. While I find the records of both our guys somewhat wanting, that to me is really a mute point. We will drag them across the finish line if we can warts and all. Romneys past governance has presented many hurdles for many Conservatives to except. Ryan is modestly better, but a quick look at his voting record reveals issues that I have reservations about. All of this is done and over. I am ready to win and rid the land of 0. My question was meant more as a process question and to see if others may have seen a similar process issue and had any ideas. To a certain degree I do agree with you, there is a subtle difference between a strong nominee needed for this race against 0, and one I might ultimately prefer in general. This said I could be more pleased, there is room for improvement, just not at this late date. Neither of these men on our team are the perfect candidates even though they may well be the correct. Sorry if I lead you to think otherwise. Thanks. ; )

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Maybe if I had said less than stellar Conservative candidate. Oh well next time. ; )

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Sorry if I lead you to think otherwise.

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You don’t. I know it’s just pondering “out loud”.

And yes, we are going to win this. Romney is a strong enough candidate to get a majority of the electorate on-board. Heck…even Bill Clinton is going to vote for him! And we’ll probably have to keep tugging him to the right for the next four (or should I say eight?) years…but I’m fine with that. I’ve always thought of politics as a game of tug-of-war anyway. You never get to put down the rope…

:-)

lynncgb on August 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I just feel as though something is wanting in the system we are currently using. Not sure what, which is why I posed the question.

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I don’t know, either. It was astonishing to learn that some of those in the late 1700s entertained the thought we should have a king. Then there’s the idea of the electoral college. Unless I’m misreading that part of the Constitution, the state politicians were basically the ones who would choose the electors and then Congress would take it from there-we the people weren’t directly involved.

Don’t see how that original system would have been any better or worse than we have now. I’d like to see a parallel universe U.S.A. that stuck to that system and see how many times they elected the same presidents as we have with citizens voting for electors.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

:-)

lynncgb on August 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Gosh I hope he can make it four years. I have had this feeling that if he does what is truly needed to turn this big ship around, he may well become the most hated President ever. Think of all the folks coming off the Government teet. That withdraw will be painful. They all have put us in quite a hole. We compromised our way here, I don’t think compromise on a grand scale will work to turn it around. Our side will more than likely have to do it alone. And dare I say this out loud, I think tax increases may be in the cards for course correction. That is so problematic itself, by it self, its just frightening. Here’s to getting it started, heave ho! *clink!* Steady as she goes. ; )

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

It would be cool to see how it would have differed. The Senators being appointed by the State legislature has, as I’ve heard argued, actually made them more responsible to the citizens of the individual States. It would certainly be interesting. One thing I do know as fact, Self Governance is hard, it relies on an involved and an informed citizenry. Something we art times seem to be in all too short supply of. ; )

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

art=are at

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Gonna have to stop using this iPad thingy. Lol!

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

But Team McCain never cleared 100 mil in a month. I’d rather have a higher average than a better quickshot.

Zaggs on August 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I agree with your larger point, but would also add that the $7.4 million number is just the ONLINE number for Romney/Ryan, while the $8.8 million number reflected ALL of McCain’s fundraising for a similar period.

HTL on August 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Again you have missed the point. Have you no inkling of observation? No creative awareness? Lockstep is your style. A follower, never a visionary or leader. You manufacture things you think I have said to manage your own intellectual ineptness. I am quite happy for everyone who is happy. I need to take nothing from another to have my own mind. You seem intent on suggesting otherwise, yet it is only your projection toward me that you have. No intelligent observations of your own. You seem happy to be the smart party man. I congratulate you. Carry on. Never questioning that which you are told to think. Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I was an enthusiastic supporter of Romney when he was at 25% support and most of the comments about him on this site were not only negative, but vicious. I said Romney was a conservative who would govern conservatively. He has now chosen the intellectual leader of the conservative wing of the GOP as his running mate.

You are the follower. An unobservant one.

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Here’s to getting it started, heave ho! *clink!* Steady as she goes. ;

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Yep…we can only take this one step at a time and then try to weather the storms as they come along…

*clink*

lynncgb on August 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Logic isn’t your strong suit. When Romney does what’s needed people will be better off. He will be loved, not hated.

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You are the follower. An unobservant one.

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yada yada yada……..You’re the smart one?

Bmore on August 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

You are the follower. An unobservant one.

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Oh, just so you will know a little bit about me. I have been a leader in my industry going on thirty years. At the top of the heap regionally and climbing quite nicely thank you Nationally. But you continue your quest. By all means its fun to watch. Lol!

Bmore on August 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

LOL! Shallow thought is obviously you’re strong suit, so there is that to contend with .

Bmore on August 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Basilsbest on August 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Bmore on August 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Girls, girls, you’re both pretty. At least call a truce until we can complete the primary mission: Beating the snot out of Obama and his brain-damaged spider monkey, Biden.

Extrafishy on August 15, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Extrafishy on August 15, 2012 at 6:36 AM

LOL!, I think the real problem between us is I’m alpha, he’s beta. ; )

Bmore on August 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM