Notably unhorrified women, young people, and senior citizens cheer Ryan in Colorado

posted at 6:41 pm on August 14, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

LAKEWOOD, Colo.— A capacity crowd of over 2,000 packed a high-school gym here Tuesday for vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan’s first appearance in the swing state, the room dotted with toddler-toting moms and senior citizens.

Introduced by a Lakewood High School senior and Romney volunteer just weeks too young to vote for him— the crowd replied loudly, “Awwww.”— Ryan touted his connection to the Rocky Mountain state, saying he had been planning to be in Colorado this week anyway, “for family vacation.”

“I’ve been climbing 14ers for 20 years in this great state,” he said— a reference to Colorado’s 53 14,000-foot peaks, which avid climbers collect like merit badges.

A change of plans has him traveling his family’s vacation spot for a different reason this summer, and the crowd was happy to have him. The mere mention of a Ryan-Biden debate by state senate candidate Lang Sias got them stomping their feet in the bleachers— a move usually reserved for intense basketball games.

“Mark your calendars for Oct. 11,” Sias said. “No, it’s not a Broncos game, but you will see a lot of defenses shredded because that’s day (Ryan & Biden) debate.”

Ryan is clearly happy on the stump, and dealt with no hecklers at the Colorado event, as he had at an Iowa event earlier in the week. The only yelling from the stands this time around was supportive.

“Look! No TelePrompter,” one audience member yelled during a pause. Ryan chuckled and happily repeated the joke for the benefit of the rest of the audience.

Ryan started his speech with a concession that President Obama inherited a bad situation, “But here’s the problem…”

Another face in the crowd finished his thought: “He made it worse!”

The concession was one of several moments in his speech that belie the extreme cartoon of him drawn by the left. The phrase “environmentally sensitive,” not generally recognized as red meat, is a complement to his raucous call to increase oil and natural gas production at home. He mentions an “all of the above” strategy on energy, name checking wind and solar, before promising a Romney administration would okay Keystone, to huge applause. That was the second-biggest applause line of the day.

The first? “We’ve got to stop spending money we don’t have!”

To be sure, Ryan hammered Obama, saying “he can’t run on his record,” so all that’s left is demagoguing.

“(President Obama) promised to cut the deficit in half in four years,” Ryan said incredulously, to audience laughter. “I rest my case.”

But Ryan also made a positive appeal to Americans’ aspirational spirit, which he claims Obama is intent on discouraging. He chided the president for acting as if Americans are creatures without agency, acted upon by forces they can’t control, capable only of being delivered by the benevolent hand of federal government.

“When I was growing up, flipping burgers at McDonald’s or…washing dishes, I never felt like I was stuck in some station in life,” Ryan said. “I thought to myself: I’m the American dream.”

That sentence was missing from the campaign before Romney added Ryan to the ticket. Romney is a model of success whose success story sometimes hampers him. Ryan’s version, sunny smile and a bit of working-class grit, unabashedly says that what makes this country great is that it encourages us to be great, not with stimulus money or taxes, but with freedom.

Ryan’s story puts the credit for American success where it belongs. We are people, working hard for ourselves and our families, not a mere collection of government programs and infrastructure projects in which the greatest height an individual can reach is filing ever-larger 1040s.

“The reception was unbelievable,” said Joe Coors, who is running for Congress against Rep. Ed Perlmutter in Colorado’s 7th Congressional District. “What I take from this, as a candidate and an American, is they’re ready for someone getting back to the basics of what makes this country great.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

..are you married? Do you want to be?

:-)

Except for Mrs War Planner (who tolerates all of the above and DOES shoot — but just at paper), there are a distinct lack of wimminfolk with your admirable qualities.

The War Planner on August 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Well, all I’ll say is there were a few close calls, but I dodged the bullets. ;)

I will say that I’ve noticed that we no longer seem to encourage men to be men. To me, this is disturbing, and on that point I agree with Rush. If you listen to him, you know it’s one of his favorite themes.

Perhaps that’s part of Ryan’s appeal….. he’s all ‘boy’, all-American, smart as he// – and he probably tramps mud into the house occasionally.

Cody1991 on August 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ryan/Hume Interview
Just released!
VIDEO:(20:17)

canopfor on August 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Thanks for the link!

Night Owl on August 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Cody1991 on August 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The funny thing is that the liberals have convinced most men that they have to be whimps but if you ask most single women – they are looking for a man that “tramps mud in the house”.

A lot more alpha and a lot less beta please.

gophergirl on August 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

GAME ON !

Finally.

PappyD61 on August 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I thought about going to the rally, but some of us do have to work.

Go Joe Coors! We absolutely have to get rid of Perlmutter!

Common Sense on August 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM

And Ryan is pulling less campaign money in than Palin did.

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Different times. In late August 2008 the GOP base had endured months of “my friends” and was tired from 8 years on the field playing defense. Things were looking quite iffy. Sarah was a much needed boost and continued to buoy spirits and polls until Lehman fell and it was all over.

This year Obama is sucking it up for the fourth straight year, we already know we’re going to win, and Romney is already raising a ton of $$$ with no end in sight. Ryan is fabulous, but he is icing on a nearly-baked cake.

Missy on August 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM

A lot more alpha and a lot less beta please.

gophergirl on August 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Yes, gg. That’s why I don’t understand the polling with women. I’m biased but not blind. Why would any women prefer someone like BO over Romney or Ryan? Makes no sense to me for all sorts of reasons.

I’m betting this will change.

It would be fun to make tee shirts with that Ryan pick and hand them out to women prior to the R2 rallies. That’s so cheap, isn’t it? Free Beefcake! Whatever it takes.

Cody1991 on August 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM

“Ryan wants to destroy Medicare and social security.”

Nope, Nope and Nope.

Lanny Davis: Wyden-Ryan Plan Deserves A Look!

M2RB: Eurythmics

Hey, Remember When Clinton Wanted To Privatise Social Security?!?

M2RB: Elvis Presley

No, Grandma Won’t Get Run Over By A Ryandeer

M2RB: Alexander Ebert

Resist We Much on August 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

….brainlessordie…I am really astonished by all the insight you give me…you are really amazing!

KOOLAID2 on August 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM

A lot more alpha and a lot less beta please.

gophergirl on August 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Problem is, a whole lot of single women out there have also been convinced of same by the liberals, and these are your young female Obama voters, as a rule. I’ve even met some older women, in their early 40s, who think like that, who think they want betas yet some probably really do.

If I even sense this in a woman whom I’ve met or after going out with her, the veil ultimately lifted, she will be kindly and courteously told that I’m probably not the right kind of guy for her, and best wishes. I don’t have the time to re-educate, no matter how pretty or alluring such a woman might be.

TXUS on August 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

And Ryan is pulling less campaign money in than Palin did.

libfreeordie

Probably because the guy at the top of the ticket has already been pulling it in.

xblade on August 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Apparently, as a transfer from Illinois, I have sold short the charms of Wisconsin

Daisy_WI on August 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Cody1991 on August 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM

i think even Helen de Generes and Rossie O’Donnel would succumb to that..beefcake, as you put it :)…

jimver on August 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM

signing up this weekend to help in Michigan… romeny/ryan yes we will!

usedtobeinmich on August 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

War Planner, I like men who do those things, too!! I probably could learn how to prep game to cook it. But for a good, Godly, manly-man I’d be willing to learn. I’m not old enough to be Ryan’s mom, or even to have babysat him, but I am older.

And unmarried, BTW. :)

chelie on August 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Did anyone see that Brit Hume Ryan interview? he was absolutely horrible in the first section. The so-called budget wonk fell pretty flat. This Ryan-Other Guy ticket may have some trouble.

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

TXUS on August 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I am stunned that you are single. Truly.

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I am stunned that you are single. Truly.

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

It’s no secret that American men are resorting to mail-order brides thanks to rabid feminism and liberal cultural destruction.

MelonCollie on August 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

magicbeans on August 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM

magicbeans, I think the link is no good.

Bmore on August 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Like Joe Biden, you’re missing a colon.

Link.

profitsbeard on August 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM

TXUS on August 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Or,”One brief, shining moment….and then that MOUTH!”

Tenwheeler on August 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Your brain isn’t functioning properly. Must be all the glue you’re huffing when you post.

wargamer6 on August 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Now I know why all they keep showing and talking about is the crowd in Ryan’s home state.

2000 in CO

All image. Create a image

There is no different from the republican or the dem machines.

Romney is a liberal and who knows he may send Ryan to AK to drill for oil for 4 years.

You wonder why nothing ever changes because you can’t fix stupid in this country.

oldyeller on August 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

wargamer6 on August 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Doesn’t have a functioning brain, only marching orders, in the plantation.

Schadenfreude on August 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I am stunned that you are single. Truly.

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

well, not everybody resort to dating men as an alternative to being single :)…

jimver on August 15, 2012 at 3:02 AM

libfreeordie on August 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

as opposed to the Ogabe budget plan….?

You know the one so cool it gets ZERO votes?

Yeah LibFrito yeah…

I’ma cut defense to the bone and increase all other spending!

ELEVENTY!!! is not seen as realistic from a guy who stole 716 billion from Medicare to start another risky scheme entitlement that will add to the debt.

Go do some MATH!

harlekwin15 on August 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

oldyeller on August 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Plugz drew 660 in VA doing his Uncle Remus Pander Bear best….

I’ll take those odds.

harlekwin15 on August 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM

OK, so I’m starting to wonder how the lsm will spin the VP debate as a win for Biden. In no way can I imagine that fool holding a candle to Ryan in an honest debate about the issues. Just saying.

mel23059 on August 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

harlekwin15 on August 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Excellent description. Very funny.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

mel23059 on August 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

They already started by knocking Ryan for not having foreign policy experience. Biden will be touted as some kind of genius in this arena. Watch the tilt of the questions. I assume Ryan will be brushing up on policy between now and then for whatever he may actually lack.

He doesn’t seem to be someone to show up unprepared.

Spiders from Mars on August 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I LOVE this ticket!!! I am so happy with Mr. Ryan and his determination to bring back the “American Dream” for the next generation. Ryan will speak to us in the debates that will make Biden a buffoon. GOD Bless Romney/Ryan.

karlinsync on August 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM