Video: Romney, Ryan play offense on Medicare in 60 Minutes appearance

posted at 10:41 am on August 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

According to the ever-accurate E-Mail Outrage Sensor, CBS edited this clip when the Romney/Ryan interview went to air, although I wouldn’t know.  I didn’t watch 60 Minutes last night because … well, I don’t watch 60 Minutes at all (and I suspect that’s also true of most of the e-mailers).  However, if it’s true that the show didn’t use the last part of the clip, maybe they were saving it for the network news tonight, or for their morning show today?  After all, Schieffer isn’t a correspondent for 60 Minutes, so I assume the use of excerpts of this interview on last night’s show was as hastily arranged as the interview itself, and perhaps meant to promote a bigger platform.

It’s good news, though, that the 60 Minutes audience got a chance to see this swipe at the Mediscaring that had already begun over the weekend after Mitt Romney picked Paul Ryan for his running mate.  It turns out that Ryan and Romney both agree that the best defense is a good offense:

Romney answered critics who say Ryan’s Medicare plan will hurt the ticket’s chances, especially in Florida.

“There’s only one president that I know of in history that robbed Medicare, $716 billion to pay for a new risky program of his own that we call Obamacare,” Romney said.

“What Paul Ryan and I have talked about is saving Medicare, is providing people greater choice in Medicare, making sure it’s there for current seniors. No changes, by the way, for current seniors, or those nearing retirement. But looking for young people down the road and saying, “We’re going to give you a bigger choice.” In America, the nature of this country has been giving people more freedom, more choices. That’s how we make Medicare work down the road.”

This is the part that readers claim was edited out of the broadcast, which if true would be journalistic malpractice:

Ryan added, “My mom is a Medicare senior in Florida. Our point is we need to preserve their benefits, because government made promises to them that they’ve organized their retirements around. In order to make sure we can do that, you must reform it for those of us who are younger. And we think these reforms are good reforms. That have bipartisan origins. They started from the Clinton commission in the late ’90s.”

Ryan’s plan doesn’t affect those already eligible for Medicare.  In fact, one of the conservative criticisms of the plan was that he didn’t give current Medicare recipients the option to choose a private-insurance plan, as younger Americans will get once they become eligible.  That’s a pretty newsworthy detail, no?

The Ryan budget proposes the partial privatization of Medicare by turning it into a premium-support system within a federal exchange, where insurance companies compete for business while meeting coverage requirements.  That’s really no different than Medicare Advantage, which puts market power into cost control and gets the government out of paying providers over a period of several years.  It’s not a perfect solution, as it maintains the third-party-payer system that interferes with pricing signals, which is the main problem driving the cost spiral.  However, it’s as close as we can get to a good political solution, since there is absolutely no support for dismantling Medicare entirely, and it at leastlessensthe problems of price-signal opacity.

This demonstrates the advantage that Romney gets in picking Ryan as his running mate.  Democrats would have hung the Ryan plan around his neck anyway.  Now Ryan himself gets to answer those attacks on the biggest stage, and the more people hear what Ryan actually proposes, the more apt they are to like it.

Update: The CBS broadcast transcript shows pretty clearly that none of this actually aired on 60 Minutes last night.  The E-Mail Outrage Meter got this one right.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Stunning that 60 Minutes would excise the part of the interview that would serve as the most ringing indictment of the Obama Administration.

Right Mover on August 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Lying Liars of the MSM!

They will do anything to make and keep Obama lookin’ good.

I got the interview HT to Flora Duh!

Scrumpy on August 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Gallup did a survey on the Ryan plan in 2011. Its biggest support came from those over the age of 65.

Vashta.Nerada on August 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

lol they force you to their iPad app to browse the site on the iPad. Lame

p0s3r on August 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

OT:
Cash for Calories?

oconp88 on August 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I saw this ad this morning when it was ran on Varney & Co. It was great!

They tag-teamed with statements about Obamanation’s farce about Medicare and what he’s done to gut it, and clarified their plans for the future of Medicare for present and past recipients.

A good start!

Although I supported another player, Romney is our guy now.
Romney-Ryan 2012!

avagreen on August 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I watched it and all of the Medicare talk was edited out.

JA on August 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Unlike BHO (and Pelosi for that matter), we don’t have to first elect this team to find out what they really believe.

Refreshing.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Own it Libs….

Chicago Jesus handed US the title of “Defender of Medicare”….

Breitbart Lives!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Was still a smart move to get on 60 Minutes. I’m sure Team Romney didn’t expect everything to get on the air. Part of the interview was shown last night during the local news on CBS Philly. I didn’t even know about it untiel then because I don;t watch 60 Minutes. But a lot of seniors do.

That’s a good line by Ryan, and I would expect it to be repeated in every interview he does, and in some speeches. Eventually it will be aired.

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Unbelievably ironic that push granny over the cliff, kill Medicare, etc. is enjoying a redux from the democRATS… yet what’s on the table is 3/4 of a trillion in cuts to the program from those very same people.

Seniors… arm yourself with knowledge and pay attention to that man behind the curtain.

VietVet_Dave on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I watched it and all of the Medicare talk was edited out.

JA on August 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Not the clip shown on Varney&Co.

avagreen on August 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My mother in law is from WI and has most relatives still living there. She consumes a daily diet of the Today Show etc and would be considered a low information voter. My wife has been trying to gently nudge her into seeing that “Look, this guy is from Wisconsin! and he’s not trying to push anyone off a cliff!”

we’ve got work to do w/ her but hopefully, she’ll come around.

ted c on August 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I very well could be wrong, but I don’t think they put any of this in the 60 minutes interview. I saw that clip on QOTD last night and then before going to bed decided to pull the entire thing up on DVR and I don’t recall any of that exchange being shown.

Now, I was fighting off falling asleep pretty hard so I might have zoned out on the critical part, but that was exactly the reason I decided to watch it last night vs. tonight in the first place.

stldave on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

It was not included. Not a shock.

txag92 on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

OK. What just happened? My comment was struck out…….wasn’t aware that I did that.

avagreen on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

60 minutes is still on the air? I quit watching it even before they gave Clinton a Lewinsky on the air prior to his first election.

Wino on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Of course 60 Minutes excised that portion. With two Republican candidates who know what they’re talking about while Obama is clueless, it would be ‘unfair’ and maybe racist to not leave room for Obama to respond.

The portion will maybe be aired at another time, after first giving the boy-king chance to speak first a few hundred times, with a script.

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I like this Ryan guy, he fights.

ted c on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I watched it and all of the Medicare talk was edited out.

JA on August 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Ok, I was starting to worry about myself but apparently I was awake and coherent throughout the piece.

stldave on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The funny thing about facts and truth…they always confuse the liberals and put a hole in their lying bucket. It is fun to watch them carry their leaking bucket, but when the realize its leaking they smash it on the ground and exclaim, “Look what the conservatives did!” LMAO Moron will be morons.

Tbone McGraw on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Right Mover on August 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

…you would think these networks would learn… but they are so far in the tank that I think we need to organize as a nation and drown them in that tank!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It was edited out. I’ve been waiting to see who noticed besides myself. This is a damning indictment of CBS. It needs to be addressed by Rush and other conservative media outlets.

writeblock on August 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I did not hear this part on air – I was waiting for it. (I was doing other things, so I could have missed it)

This is a big, big, big scandal for CBS.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

RM Bob Schieffer’s gonna be an ad campaign star I assure you.

Romney impressed me with his delivery as well.

SCOAMF is toast if we close ranks.

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I watched the segment last night, along with the second segment, and from what I remember the quip about the 700 million was not part of what they showed.

They showed Scheiffer asking about taxes, and the rich needing to pay more (obvious liberal trash questions), but had 2/3 general questions and answers about the Ryan budget.

milcus on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

A good offense is something we didn’t have in 2008…

“PRESS ON!”

Khun Joe on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I saw it

That clip was not shown

cmsinaz on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

CBS edited this clip

This is almost impossible to believe. Are you saying that a reputable media giant like CBS would fabricate a story to effect the outcome of a presidential election….?

Who ever heard of such a thing?

repvoter on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Right Mover on August 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Do these guys really think they’re not gonna get caught doing this or do they just not care? Not only will the quote get out there anyway, but their bias will be exposed(yet again), and it’s not like Ryan and Romney can’t say the exact same thing in a hundred other interviews or rallies.

Doughboy on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM

This is a damning indictment of CBS.

writeblock on August 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

The only reason Dan Rather was let go with a sweetheart retirement package was because CBS couldn’t dodge the bullet on it.

Otherwise, CBS is just a pack of liberals who do the same thing over and over, all the time.

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Before or after the interview with the 87-year-old who says she’ll be eating cat food if Mr. Romney is elected President?

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I guess CBS is jealous of how NBC keeps making news instead of reporting it and decided to join the club.

Bitter Clinger on August 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s not like CBS doesn’t know this is a big, big story. Here is the web page they devoted to it complete with the 1:11 minute clip that was cut from the broadcast.

SCANDAL. And yes, I’m going all CAPS on their *ss:)

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ed, here’s the video of what was broadcast on 60 Minutes last night.

Actually, none of what Romney and Ryan said about Medicare was included in the interview that aired.

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

This is a big, big, big scandal for CBS.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The democrats are gonna be dumb enough to tell Obama THIS is a smart play in the debates:

O: You know uh I know a lot of er noise has been generated about Obamacare, but Mitt it was uh YOUR plan…….why are you against it?”

and the devastating reply will be:

Mitt: Well Mr. President I did not have to steal 700 billion dollars from medicare to fund it and it was what MY voters the people of the State of Massachusettes wanted, I promise the American people I will not resort to petty trickery to get signature programs for my own vanity against the advice and consent of the opposition party…..minority party voices have a place in our way of life why did you take the money paid for by workers’ wages to create more debt Mr. President?

BOOM!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

As to the supposedly draconian nature of Paul Ryan’s Medicare cuts, they’re only exceeded by the severity of the Medicare cuts in…Obamacare.

J_Crater on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I watched all too, and it was all edited out. Flora Duh pointed it out last night before it ran here so I was looking for it.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM

milcus on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The problem with Scheiffer’s question was that the entire premise was absurd. He was insinuating that “the rich” pay either little or no taxes. I’m glad Romney shot that down immediately in his response.

Doughboy on August 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Shieffer: “Your going to have to do a little selling on that”

Then Bob promptly cuts out the convincing argument.

How we let the MSM get away with this I’ll never know.

WisRich on August 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I recorded it and just watched it again. It’s not in there.

brewcrew67 on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

After all, Schieffer isn’t a correspondent for 60 Minutes

But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night AND he’ll be the moderator for one of the presidential debates!

DEBATE MODERATORS ANNOUNCED:
PBS Jim Lehrer, first Pres debate, Oct 3 Denver…
CNN Candy Crowley, town hall, Oct 16, Hempstead NY…
CBS Bob Schieffer, third Pres debate, Oct. 22, Boca Raton…
ABC Martha Raddatz, VP debate, Oct 11, Danville KY…

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

More than hoping for Obama to be sent back to Chicago in total humiliation, I wish to see the MSM so vividly exposed that all their outlets file for bankruptcy in the next two years.

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The pig Stephanie Cutter said the Obama plan cuts $700 billion in spending. The pig did not say where it was coming from, nor did the pig say where else that spending would be transferred to, as it will. How do you lie about $700 billion, easy if you’re a Democrat.

arand on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

OT: Obama: “A new vision of an America in which prosperity is shared

FDR would be horrified

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Ed, CBS edited out ALL the quotes you cite above. ALL of them. The criticism of barack cutting $700 bIllion from Medicare? Cut from the broadcast. Ryan saying his own mother is a “Medicare senior in Florida”? Cut from the broadcast. And it isn’t journalistic malpractice, it is corruption. An O-bot in the editing room watched the tape, knew it would be a powerful argument for Romney-Ryan, and cut it out to protect barack. THIS NEEDS TO GO VIRAL!!! This is a case where MORE PEOPLE will see the quotes BECAUSE THEY CUT THEM than would have if they had done the ethical thing and left them in.

GIVE THIS CBS OBAMA ELECTIONEERING ITS OWN THREAD, ED. MAKE IT GO VIRAL.

Rational Thought on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Ryan seems to be having a hard time listening to Romney spin there.
‘Please let me anwer these ones? I won’t be using the ‘Obama robbed’ and ‘America loves freedom’ bits…ok?’
Maybe this will the inverse of The Obama/Biden relationship.

verbaluce on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

arand on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

How do you lie about stealing from senior citizens if you’re a democrat?

Simple you count on the Media not to ask the question…..

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

and the devastating reply will be:

BOOM!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Oh, I hope it plays out like that. I’m looking forward to turning the Democrats’ Mediscare tactics against them.

Caiwyn on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

GIVE THIS CBS OBAMA ELECTIONEERING ITS OWN THREAD, ED. MAKE IT GO VIRAL.

Rational Thought on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Push it to the nines!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I don’t usually watch “60 Minutes” (we’re usually eating dinner) but I DVR’d this.

Maybe I’m hallucinating, but I swear that part was in there. I remember thinking that I didn’t realize Paul Ryan’s mom lived in Florida.

So I either saw it (I didn’t watch the whole thing) or I read it.

lizzieillinois on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I actually watched 60 Minutes last night, the first time in years — the interview was being promoted during the PGA Tournament airing on CBS, so I kept it tuned. Romney and Ryan did very well and they also project good chemistry between them. I’m liking Romney’s choice here more and more.

TXUS on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Glad to see others noticed that NONE of the Medicare talk aired.

I wonder what unrelavent topics the moderators will try to stay on to avoid the deficit/economy/Medicare talk?

Lord of the Wings on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I was yelling at the TV when I heard that Romney/Ryan’s first interview together would be on 60 Minutes! 60 Minutes are you kidding me? But in spite of the bad premises of the questions and the condescension and the “critics say” memes and even a mention of a Romney gaffe, it seems to me that Romney and Ryan held their own quite well. They kept pushing back at Obama’s failed policies, discrediting his campaign of distractions, and bringing common sense to the fore. The recurring line was “getting America back on track” which they reiterated over and over. Suspect that resonates well with many voters.

Christian Conservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

According to the ever-accurate E-Mail Outrage Sensor, CBS edited this clip when the Romney/Ryan interview went to air, although I wouldn’t know. I didn’t watch 60 Minutes last night because … well, I don’t watch 60 Minutes at all

I am in the same boat as you, Ed. I didn’t watch it.

But the word on Twitter last night was that viewers on both the East and West coasts were reporting that the clip had been edited out of what was broadcast on TV.

ITguy on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Doughboy on August 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Oh, I agree. And its easy for Democrats to do when they can say people like Romney pay 15%, because the average American worker has no clue what capital gains are.

In a way, Romney almost has to dumb down the tax code for people and explain why some people pay 15% or 0%, who Obama wants to pay 39% (or if things work well in France, 75%), and how those people paying 15% or even 0% is not a bad thing because it encoruages risk and innovation.

milcus on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

ScheifferGate?

Will Bob Scheiffer be fired?

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I didn’t even know about it until then because I don’t watch 60 Minutes. But a lot of seniors do….

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Seniors tend to trust those that are senior to themselves at 60 Minutes.

slickwillie2001 on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Caiwyn on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It will play out like that because Mitt and Ryan WILL WORK IT IN AND AD BOMB the hell out of it….

we’re gonna win this thing folks and you know how I know?

CBS would rather look like idiots than try to creatively edit the damned delivery and leave it on the floor althogether….

the left has NO ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!

Florida will be OURS and we may flip Cali with non millionaire seniors….

“Why did Barack Obama steal 700 billion and rising from the Medicare trsut fund?”

WE ALL NEED TO KEEP ASKING EVERYONE WE SEE POLITELY!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

ScheifferGate?

Will Bob Scheiffer be fired?

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

He’s been announced as host of one of the debates.

slickwillie2001 on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

By the way Flora Duh, that was an awesome early catch. Thanks to you I knew to look for it. We get the lies from lsm a few hours later out west. The heads up is nice!

wolly4321 on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Glad to see others noticed that NONE of the Medicare talk aired.

Lord of the Wings on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Oh, that’s easy! “Mr. Romney, why do you think it’s a great thing to push helpless grandmas over cliffs in their wheelchairs, and why do you think it’s so wonderful to be called a racist pig?”

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I had seen the clip and read the transcript yesterday afternoon, so when it didn’t show up in the 60 Minutes broadcast I was fuming. I immediately took CBS to task in an email and alerted several conservative radio hosts and bloggers about the omission.

Mr. Duh says that after I alerted Fox & Friends about it this morning they played the clip that was left out in their next segment.

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I like this Ryan guy, he fights.

ted c on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Not only that, but isn’t it refreshing to listen to someone answer a question intelligently and without saying “ummm… ahhh…errrr.. ahhhh… ummmmm… ah, ah ah…”

VietVet_Dave on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Calling Dan Rather…

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

DEBATE MODERATORS ANNOUNCED:
PBS Jim Lehrer, first Pres debate, Oct 3 Denver…
CNN Candy Crowley, town hall, Oct 16, Hempstead NY…
CBS Bob Schieffer, third Pres debate, Oct. 22, Boca Raton…
ABC Martha Raddatz, VP debate, Oct 11, Danville KY…

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Blech. I guess we’re supposed to be happy bexcause there’s no Gwen Ifill or David Gregory on that list. But these folks aren’t much better. I despise Bob Schieffer, he is a leftist that always disguises his bias with that folksy drawl.

Martha Raddatz used to write for The New Republic. ‘Nuff said.

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Was still a smart move to get on 60 Minutes.
rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

If I was in their position, I would only agree to interviews if I was allowed to bring my own camera crew to tape the entire interview. Show producers are biased before they start the interview. Everything on a set is setup to skew it towards their view.

LoganSix on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

DEBATE MODERATORS ANNOUNCED:
PBS Jim Lehrer, first Pres debate, Oct 3 Denver…
CNN Candy Crowley, town hall, Oct 16, Hempstead NY…
CBS Bob Schieffer, third Pres debate, Oct. 22, Boca Raton…
ABC Martha Raddatz, VP debate, Oct 11, Danville KY…

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Well at least NBC isn’t in there, but why Team Romney didn’t insist on Fox carrying one of them is a mystery. Perhaps they did but that damned debate commission is probably stacked anyway, something that we can change when winning the Senate.

TXUS on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

wolly4321 on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Happy to help. :-)

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

He doesn’t have to go back to Chicago, just as long as he gets the hell out of the People’s house.

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I can tell you what’s going to happen. The Dems will try to villify Ryan, but when they see that he’s too likeable, they will remind everyone that they would be voting for Romney, not Ryan.

michaelthomas on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Christian Conservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I thought it was brilliant. Great strategery by Team Romney. They totally dominated the weekend news cycle. The visuals of the handsome Romney and the youthful but earnest Ryan were fantastic. They are really good in this informal interview format, as is Barack Obama. This was a “Game On” message to Obama. He’s not going to win the personality race this time.

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

michaelthomas on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Mitt Romney refuses to stoop to my level and Hate the most radical man in power in my lifetime….

good luck with that sale Libs…

I’ll do Mitt’s flamethrowing by word of mouth politely with MATH!

all Mitt has to do is keep hammering barack on his lies and weakness.

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM

FINALLY a discussion of the issues.

itsspideyman on August 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

He’s not going to win the personality race this time.

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Oh he’ll win it….

just not with the majority of the American people….

I’ll never be a “Mittbot” like his biggest fans are Obats….

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Also, Martha Raddatz has spent a large chunk of her career covering foreign affairs amd wrote a book about the war in Iraq, so we can expect her to go heavily on foriegn policy questions to try to trip up Ryan and make Joe Biden look like an expereinced statesman. I hope Team Romney is ready for that debate, I can almost guarantee you it WON’T be about Medicare or budgets. The Obama-Romney debates will.

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Gillespie / queer Establishment GOP is already trying to disavow Ryan.

rayra on August 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

rockmom on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

But will they be able to bracket the NCAA Basketball final four? ;0

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Wouldn’t it be easier it explain that Obama turns Medicare into Medicaid, a program for poor people that rations care…this is what Obamacare is, Medicaid for all!

Romney/Ryan turn it into Medicare Advantage, which is a program seniors actually like.

monalisa on August 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Wow, Drudge linked to Obama saying:

“Do we go forward towards a new vision of an America in which prosperity is shared?” Obama asked. “Or do we go backward to the same policies that got us in the mess in the first place?”

Lord of the Wings on August 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Right Mover on August 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Yes. I’m still reeling with shock.

In response to the baggy old whore’s smarmy insistence that their plan will require a lot of “selling,” I’d have responded: “The truth isn’t hard to sell. The problem is, you in the media need to report it not distort it so people can hear it.”

rrpjr on August 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Mr. Duh. LOL!

Vince on August 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

DEBATE MODERATORS ANNOUNCED:
PBS Jim Lehrer, first Pres debate, Oct 3 Denver…
CNN Candy Crowley, town hall, Oct 16, Hempstead NY…
CBS Bob Schieffer, third Pres debate, Oct. 22, Boca Raton…
ABC Martha Raddatz, VP debate, Oct 11, Danville KY…

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Jeezus. Why do we constantly accept this crap. Someone from the new media, like Breitbart.com, and Brett Baier from FOX should have been required.

rrpjr on August 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM

To be honest, I don’t think he’s going to leave gracefully if he loses the election. I expect there will be an actual battle at our White House between the Secret Service and the 101st Airborne (which is responsible to defend Washington, DC) to send Obama packing.

The MSM and all other liberals will call it ‘a coup’.

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

we’re gonna win this thing folks and you know how I know?

the left has NO ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!

Florida will be OURS and we may flip Cali with non millionaire seniors….

WE ALL NEED TO KEEP ASKING EVERYONE WE SEE POLITELY!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Yes, if everybody on every sunday talking show made it a point to point this out, then I am confident the ad campaign is coming,and likely today. Not one of those 2 min web ads either, I suspect, a 30 second one that tells voters what he did and what he did it for.

Get the first punch in and make it more than a jab. It’s an honest attack. It will be spun as disingenious but it is certainly not, because of what the Medicare raid was for.

stldave on August 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Wow, Drudge linked to Obama saying:

Lord of the Wings on August 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Look for the Ogabe patented “What I really meant as most eloquent man alive” Meme Suppression squad to say “he is being misrepresented”….

folks he keeps showing his red diaper…..

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I could have sworn i heard Ryan say his mother lived in florida and then discussed about the need to preserve those benefits last night when i watched the video. I remember thinking wow thats a pretty good talking point about Florida. I live in Orlando so thats why it stuck in my head. Maybe im crazy.

brut4ce on August 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Lord of the Wings on August 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

We’re all Joe the Plumber now.

Vince on August 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

DEBATE MODERATORS ANNOUNCED:
PBS Jim Lehrer, first Pres debate, Oct 3 Denver…
CNN Candy Crowley, town hall, Oct 16, Hempstead NY…
CBS Bob Schieffer, third Pres debate, Oct. 22, Boca Raton…
ABC Martha Raddatz, VP debate, Oct 11, Danville KY…

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Impartial mod: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/08/11/cnns-candy-crowley-ryan-pick-looks-little-bit-some-sort-ticket-death-

davidk on August 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Wonder what the odds are that bho/biden gets the questions before the debates from these people?
L

letget on August 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

brut4ce on August 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

His mom does live in Florida

He is a man who was on SSSurvivor benefit…

he is not the lie they are selling and Barack gave us the club of Mediscare that is true to hit him….

After the AD Bombing to soften up the ground, Ryan will go down to Florida and face the beast…..

I take it back Mitt all of it YOU ARE IN FACT A GENIUS!

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Ed, here’s the video of what was broadcast on 60 Minutes last night.

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Ed, FIX this post. Neither of the quotes you include above were in the broadcast. i watched it before reading CBS’s pre-release — could not BELIEVE what they had edited out. Total media corruption, and CLEARLY they got a call from the Obama campaign before the piece aired and it was hastily edited for them. THIS IS A SCANDAL, AND THE GUN ISN’T SMOKING, IT HAS BURST INTO FLAMES. Please make a thread about CBS’s corruption. Others will follow — it will get the quotes out there, and it’ll put Schieffer on notice as he tees up his debate moderation. Come on, Ed. You’re missing the story here.

Rational Thought on August 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Translation: “What’s mine is mine, and what you think is yours is what I allow you to keep. You didn’t build that, after all. I did.”

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The Mars landing-I BUILT THAT!

The Great Medicare Raid-I did not build that!

//Choom king

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Come on, Ed. You’re missing the story here.

Rational Thought on August 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I agree Ed this is plain as day, we need you to stake you reputation as a moderate voice of reason on pointing this out….we need a blogstorm Boss….

harlekwin15 on August 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The Wyden-Ryan Medicare plan, so named because it was coauthored by progressive Sen. Ron Wyden (D., Ore.), only applies to Americans younger than 55 years of age, and gives those younger individuals the option of remaining in the traditional Medicare program, or choosing a comparable private-sector insurance plan.

J_Crater on August 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Here is CBS’s own verbatim transcript of the interview. The Medicare stuff isn’t there. They edited it out before the broadcast. Why?

Rational Thought on August 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Rational Thought on August 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Is that a trick question?

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

davidk on August 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I thought of her comments too immediately upon seeing she is going to moderate.

L

letget on August 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

As crr6 used to be fond of saying, “Count It!”

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Ryan seems to be having a hard time listening to Romney spin there.
Maybe this will the inverse of The Obama/Biden relationship.

verbaluce on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

…that was a pretty long phart!…wasn’t it?…feel better? …(check your shorts!)

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM