Video: Blogger still struggling to cope with that “I Am the Walrus” cover at the Olympics last night

posted at 6:41 pm on August 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. I turned the closing ceremony on early, soon enough to suffer through the treacle-upon-treacle child choir’s rendition of “Imagine,” but otherwise watched without paying close attention. Then this happened and for the first time ever I had the same gut reaction as Gawker, right down to their choice of analogy: “[A] low point in pop culture. It’s Snow White-at-the-Oscars bad. Shame.” Yep. I used to think Slash performing “Sweet Child O’ Mine” with the Black Eyed Peas at the Super Bowl was the low point, but if the Olympics are about anything, my friends, they’re about setting new records. On Twitter, Anthony Bourdain is at 1,200+ retweets and counting for this:

Click the image and skip to 35:00. The thing is, there’s no single obvious flaw. Brand carries the tune well enough, it’s well-choreographed, colorful, etc. The reaction, I think, is due to a perfect storm of lesser irritations: (1) He’s tremendously annoying generally, at least to American eyes; (2) it’s not just any song but a Beatles tune that’s being enlisted as a vehicle for his druggy libertine persona; (3) the fact that he’s performing in character as Willy Wonka makes the whole thing excruciatingly campy. The idea, I guess, was to present a “dangerous,” more hallucinogenic version of Wonka, but there’s nothing dangerous in a big, gaudy, kitschy pageant like the closing ceremony. It’s danger through a filter of cuteness and mass appeal. I half-expected Snow White to dance out there and get a sexy-yet-playful whack on her bottom from bad Wonka/Brand. That’s all that’s missing.

I don’t mind telling you: I’m thinking of making this our new “bad news” mascot video in lieu of the melting bunny.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That was really bad…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Trainwreck.

rbj on August 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Still deeply traumatized by brief but near lethal glimpse of Russell Brand’s “I Am the Walrus” . Might need to return to narcotics.

…he’s a liberal…if he was a dog he would let Present Baloney eat him!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Allahpundit, there’s this thingy on your remote control called “fast forward” – usually marked “>>” or “FFWD” or some such. Prime time variety shows are always best viewed with a liberal use of this button.

peski on August 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

What sort of drugs or alcohol or combination will make the closing ceremonies watchable? I have them recorded but haven’t seen them yet.

theCork on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Watched this last night.

NBC turned an event that lasted just over an hour into a four hour trek into the bowels of insanity.

You know things are bad when the highlight of the night is George Michael.

To be fair, though – the very end when they finally brought down the Olympic flame and the fireworks was pretty cool.

catmman on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Both ceremonies just made me cringe, watching that garbage was like watching the celebration of the death of Western culture, let’s all “imagine” and accept everything and everyone regardless of how dangerous or hostile it turns out to be…

Gross.

John_Locke on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I’ve desested him since he lectured us on voting for Obama and putting Palin down, I’m glad the rest of the world is catching up to us on the matter of Brandphobia

thebrokenrattle on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

What sort of mind-bending substances will make the closing ceremonies watchable? I have them recorded but haven’t seen them yet.

theCork on August 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Russell Brand is proof positive that the world is circling the toilet bowl right now. I felt like a voyeur peering into the open grave of a dead empire last night, and no, it did not make me feel good.

Pelosi delende est on August 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Who the HELL is keeping Russel Brand’s career afloat? Everybody loathes him, on both sides of the Atlantic, and everything he touches fails.

He’s like an even more obnoxious and repulsive Piers Morgan.

S. Weasel on August 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Have to admit, as soon as I saw Brand I hit the >> button, but I suspect that it was not as annoying as the Spice Girls bit. I got lured in by their looks, and then they sprung the screechy torture trap called whatever that song was.

peski on August 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Allah, I recommend that you check out the Quotes of the Day thread last night. We were having a good ole time with it here.

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

theCork on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM
—————————————-

Skip them. They were just that bad.

Pelosi delende est on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

sorry about the double post… the web site went wonky.

theCork on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

theCork on August 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Bath salts.

Go out with a bang.

aquaviva on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

The next time the Olympics are held in the UK, they might want to consider forgoing the OPENING and CLOSING ceremonies all together.

Pork-Chop on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I would rather be sewn into a burlap sack with 5 starved badgers and the sack tossed into a cesspool than watch one minute of Russel Brand performing anything; he makes my skin crawl.

Bishop on August 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Click the image and skip to 35:00. The thing is, there’s no single obvious flaw

You’re kidding right? I still can’t figure out what the hell that was!

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I had just gotten over watching that last night…thanks.

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Russell Brand the…what? Star of the Arthur remake?

Yeah, there’s some talent. The fading of the UK into a well-deserved obscurity proceeds apace.

Cicero43 on August 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

That far more enjoyable than an Obama rally.

Chuck Schick on August 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

We the hotair commenters are still struggling to cope with the attempted Facebook coup. Why are you keeping us in the dark??

Blake on August 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Clockwork Orange is here.

Honestly, I’m just stunned….and disgusted.

aquaviva on August 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

theCork on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

You could combine every drug known, with a 16 ounce glass of Tequila, and it still wouldn’t help.

GrannyDee on August 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

What he said that everybody wants to do to Palin sticks in my craw.

docflash on August 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

==================================================

AP,may I suggest,that the crew, vote on it!
(a tad sarc):)

canopfor on August 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Having Winston Churchill screaming, psychotically, from atop Big Ben was very, very progressive. I’m just surprised they couldn’t find a Middle Easterner to play Churchill to show how far modern Britain has progressed.

Punchenko on August 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Spice Girls were there. So yes I loved it. This GIF made it all worthwhile.

Like Obama, I don’t care much for Britain, but I love trash!

Apologetic California on August 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

D*mn…..D*mn……D*mn……

NBC is only allowed to show Olympic competition video on the internet to users in the United States and U.S. Territories.

Users outside of those locations will still have access to an extensive set of non-event video on NBCOlympics.com.
======================================================

canopfor on August 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

It wasn’t that bad although it was kind of bad. No I guess it was.

It did look really expensive, but really this was the best they could do? I saw a suggestion that they should have had McCartney, Clapton, Page, Richards, the Edge and anyone on drums for a set that would have been better than random one hit wonders. Was this really the best in British music?

At least they could have had Duran Duran singing Rio.

And at 11 pm, they stopped the Olympic broadcast and said they would have that Animal Hospital comedy and then resume with the broadcast. What the?

Does NBC really think they can keep screwing with America like this?

redeye on August 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Since I can’t bring myself to watch NBC, as a general matter, I watched very little of the Olympics. I missed the closing ceremony entirely, and that I suppose was a good thing since I would have found this excruciating.

MTF on August 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Obama says: “The second prettiest sound on earth.”

Yellow meta-custard, dripping from a dead dog’s eye.

(They don’t write lyrics like that anymore.)

profitsbeard on August 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

It shouldn’t replace the melting bunny for bad news. It should be a whole new thing to represent “WTF?”

Of course, that would mean at having to look at the jerk, which would also be bad news and require the melting bunny afterward.

Gingotts on August 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

o_O

Seven Percent Solution on August 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

..well! Thank goodness this SocialistFest is finally over! Now we can look forward to The Olympics returning to our shores and coming to Chicago..

..oh, wait!

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I was flipping around the channels and come upon this travesty, and after a couple of goo goo goo joobs, I dove for the remote. Simply awful.

rcpjr on August 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

NBC’s disastrous insulting coverage of the Olympics made me sorta OK with the idea of giving PBS the money to broadcast the Olympics in the future.

Apologetic California on August 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Allah.

You would REPLACE the melting bunny?

mimi1220 on August 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Best performance of the closing ceremonies was by Freddie Mercury.

And he’s dead.

But seriously, that looked like it was going to be the most epic rendition of “We Will Rock You” ever until Jassie J (or whatever her name is) started singing it.

JimLennon on August 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Pork-Chop on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

..or just run them back-to-back and skip the athletics. Except girl’s volleyball, maybe. And girl’s gymnastics for the pervs. Yep, that’ll do it.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

peski on August 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Or do what some of us do – don’t engage the “on” button except for sports.

Watched it and it was just one big karaoke night. These things have to be watched with one eye on it and the other on twitter. Then it turns into one bit Mystery Science Theater event.

kim roy on August 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

AP,

Good idea on the replacement of the melting bunny.

I suggest first use on the Facebook Comments thingy in the Headlines.

Jimmy Doolittle on August 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I caught it last night too, Allah. It was painful.

They did “We Will Rock You” by Queen, but not “We are the Champions”???

dude……wtf?

Russell Brand? Annie Lennox? John Lennon? Where were the friggin’ Rolling Stones? Def Leppard?….c’mon

ted c on August 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Key point to note: I thought the spice girls was a cheeky and welcomed addition, yet, Posh (Vicky Beckham) was utterly bored out of her head to be there.

Did she get her boobs reduced???

ted c on August 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Here’s an idea…

Make that video the “bad news” mascot video and

SWITCH TO FACEBOOK COMMENTING! YEAH! THAT’S A TOTALLY AWESOME IDEA!

Not.

FlatFoot on August 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Mitt was right, they weren’t ready.

Speakup on August 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Okay,the violin Angels are a plus!!

canopfor on August 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM

For those outside the land of the Bars n’ Stars!

BOND playing “I am the Walrus”
*******************************

canopfor on August 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Johnny Depp,would’ve been better, me thinks!!

canopfor on August 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

What if we keep the bunny for catastrophes and tragedies, and we use Willy Walrus for humiliating/shameful events?

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

You go to the Closing Ceremonies with the entertainers you have, not the ones you wish you had.

Over50 on August 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

— Anthony Bourdain (@Bourdain) August 13, 2012

Pound sand with this scumbag as well–do we not recall ” I would enjoy Sodomizing and deep-frying Dick Cheney”…..

hillsoftx on August 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

The trannie letting his ‘knickers down’ caused me to go into spontaneous eye rolls.

Biggest surprise of the night was Jessie J.

Never heard her before but damn the girl has pipes. Her team-up with Brian May was pretty darn awesome.

Also enjoyed the Rio preview with Brazilian pop music.

The Ugly American on August 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Jessie J covering Freddie… Bad

Brand doin Walrus, horrendous.

Eric Idle doing Bright side if life? Awesomeness!!

LtGenRob on August 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yeah. Just when you didn’t think it could get any lower. I heard him start the Wonka song, and that bus, and I thought “Oh great. We’re going to get Oompa loompas”. Then he started in with the Beatles song and I knew it was going to be brutal.

My wife just shook her head.

portlandon on August 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’m thinking the pilot for Animal Practice

The Ugly American on August 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Ed Morrissey · Works at Salem Web Network

We’re hoping to have both our current comment system and FB. Trying it out on headlines first to see if it’s possible.

Reply · 1 · 8 minutes ago

If HotAir does in fact go to Facebook only commenting — I’m outta here and I’m never coming back. Unless, of course, it’s a link on another blog that doesn’t force me to join Facebook to comment that directs me to a HotGas post. I’m sick and tired of being shoved and pushed and more or less getting my arm twisted towards creating a Facebook account that I do not want, have never ever wanted, and that I will never ever create.

Facebook is evil.

Try that out first, too.

FlatFoot on August 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Would one of you be kind enough to tell me where in the video Eric Idle comes on singing “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”? I missed that and I’d rather not watch the whole thing.

radjah shelduck on August 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM

What else drove me nuts was that somebody other than The Who was singing “Pinball Wizard”, then NBC cuts the Actual The Who for their crappy show.

And what was up with the Freddy Mercury video bit? Boring.

portlandon on August 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Animal Practice …the Heidi Game of the 2012 Olympics

The Ugly American on August 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I absolutely cannot stand this miserable excuse for an entertainer. Here he is at the 2008 MTV awards telling us we’re racists if we don’t to elect 0bama.

Tomolena1 on August 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

How sad.

Apparently Britain’s progressives haven’t the faintest notion regarding the difference between the terms ‘ceremony’ and ‘display’.

I didn’t see closing ceremonies for the games. I saw a vain and narcissistic display unparalleled in the annals of the games.

The notion that trollops and trash could be elevated to an art form seems to have gripped the British progressive, and, unfortunately, those progressives were in charge of both the opening ceremonies and the closing ceremonies.

I didn’t see a tribute to the athletes, the competing nations, or the spirit of the games. I saw a vainglorious spectacle dedicated to aggrandizing the lifestyle and ideology of the progressive community.

Its a shame.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Facebook is evil.

Try that out first, too.

FlatFoot on August 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Second that. I love this blog, but I will leave in a heartbeat if you try to take away my anonymity. I have no desire to be harassed by random liberals for commenting on here. What the hell are you guys thinking?

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I managed to catch the closing ceremonies live on the NBC website. It definitely could’ve been an hour shorter. Brand wasn’t that irritating to me… he was on for only what, five minutes? I was more surprised that they let Eric Idle sing the whole “Bright Side of Life” song (and yes, I heard the S-bomb). As a Python fan, though, I was thrilled that one of those guys was included in the lineup.

TMOverbeck on August 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

No wonder Katy Perry ditched him. What a loser. He’s famous for being a drug-addled arse of an alleged radio show host. Only the Brits would think this guy has talent. OK, so the French would too.

The socialist Olympic opening ceremony was the worst since Hitler hosted the games. And the closing ceremony was another display of British kookery. It had promise, but stumbled. Russell Brand sealed that deal.

Whose palms got greased for Russell Brand to immorally butcher The Beatles while peddling another of his zillion-dollar Hollywood stinkbombs?

Philly on August 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I found the Pet Shop Boys “West End Girls” number particularly bizarre. The duo was decked out in Spy vs. Spy meets the Klan black costumes while being shuttled through the stadium. They performed nearly completely motionless, as if they were quadriplegics. It reminded me of the captain in the original Star Trek pilot in his robotic wheelchair. And wasn’t West End Girls in the opening ceremony too?

Kungfoochimp on August 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Indeed. There are many reasons to abhor Facebook. Colossal privacy issues and maintaining necessary anonymity for starters. Their sinister yet obvious — and as yet unpunished at this point — gaming of the stock market during their IPO launch for enormous personal profit(s) is another. And many more reasons.

/Lawdawg86… as in LEO since 1986? if so — me too. just 4 more years and some loose change left to go — c’mon 30! LoL

FlatFoot on August 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I watched the whole thing. I find Russel Brand to be the living equivalent of nails-on-a-chalkboard, but here I found him to fit the bill for the big pile of psychodelic nonsense that “I Am the Walrus” is. I have no real objection as he’s just Brand here without the mindless bollocks that spews from his mouth.

Nethicus on August 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Both opening and closing ceremonies were bad on an epic level. Bad like a Super Bowl halftime show from the ’80s. Too stupid to even describe.

Captain Kirock on August 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Hahaha, so bad, so very, very bad. Thanks for posting, I needed a laugh!

scalleywag on August 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I used to think Slash performing “Sweet Child O’ Mine” with the Black Eyed Peas at the Super Bowl was the low point…

Fixed that. Seriously, how bad was that whole performance to get people in the middle of Super Bowl parties to light Twitter up?

Worse was #NBCFail cutting off the Who. Someone should lose their job for that.

William Teach on August 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

If Facebook comes in, I’m also outa here. I refuse to create a Facebook account.

MTF on August 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

A glimpse into the pit of Hell. GB is gone and it’s not the worst of the Euro bunch. But then again, maybe it is.

Mason on August 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

FlatFoot on August 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Yeah, I mean, I’m on Facebook. I don’t think they are evil or anything.

I just know that I will absolutely not post comments on a conservative blog if I have to use my real identity. 1.) I don’t want my comments showing up in a Google search of my name, for instance, if I’m applying for a job and my potential employer leans Democrat; and 2.) Frankly, after all the SWAT-ing and what not, I don’t want Anonymous or some other wacked out liberal group putting me on a master list of conservatives to harass and hack.

Its just not worth it. I just want to comment anonymously on the news of the day and shoot the **** with my fellow conservatives, I don’t want to create a public record of my political beliefs.

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I like that idea. NOTHING should replace the melting bunny. NOTHING.

But Russell Brand is so irreverent and disgusting that humiliating and shameful events befits him.

conservative pilgrim on August 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM

William Teach on August 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

You’re seriously going to place Black Eyed Peas as worse than the torture of watching the Rolling Stones or The Who? Really? I still have nightmares (and so do my kids!) when Townshend (I think) flashed his abs in that skimpy tank top. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

conservative pilgrim on August 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

…the best of pop culture.

equanimous on August 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Its a shame.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Ditto

Jvette on August 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Wasn’t it Slash, Fergie, and two of the guys from Cypress Hill? I thought they did an awesome job, BTW. I heard it on the radio and couldn’t believe it was Fergie singing it. Once I noticed it was a chick and not Axl I was thinking Doro Pesch or Lita Ford or somebody, but Fergie didn’t even cross my mind. I was stunned when I found out it was her.

Walter Sobchak on August 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I can’t be unbiased about Brand. Cannot stand him. Though I don’t know if that’s just because I first heard of him as he was ripping Palin’s children.

But he just looks so f-ing arrogant all the time, and it seemed to show in his performance.

Esthier on August 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Allah, I’m curious. Do you think you’re “evolving” as far as what in pop culture you can tolerate? Or have you always hit the “groan factor” with sappy stuff like this?

hawkdriver on August 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

When the banal bounders of a shattered empire cast long shadows, the sun is indeed setting.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM

No wonder Katy Perry ditched him.

Philly on August 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I can’t believe she ever wanted anything to do with him in the first place. She’s a talented (for a pop singer at least) hottie and could have damn near anybody she wants.

Walter Sobchak on August 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Esthier on August 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

The smug hipster douchenozzle factor is strong with him.

Walter Sobchak on August 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Lawdawg86
on August 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Yes we did. Have you since recovered, Lawdawg’ ?

I was kinda worried about you last night.

listens2glenn on August 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I commented over at the DailyMail website about how awful the ceremonies were. The reception I got was, well, frosty. Not unexpected but still a bit shocking.

GB has a lot to offer, tons of material for a decent opening and closing show. They instead desired to show the world they are bankrupt. Ha, guess we are not far behind.

LaughterJones on August 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Not afraid so say I liked it. Thanks AP, would have missed it otherwise. Now I might have to check out more of that video. As for the effect they were going for it was a grand slam.

mike_NC9 on August 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM

There’s a difference between “bad news” and “apocalyptic destruction”…

Meh, I just wasn’t that impressed by eith the opining or closing ceremonies…the Chinese raised the bar for that, and London was lackluster in comparison.

JetBoy on August 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Russell Brand the…what? Star of the Arthur remake?

Cicero43 on August 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Dudley Moore he ain’t !

cableguy615 on August 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Dudley Moore he ain’t !

cableguy615 on August 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Dudley who?

hawkdriver on August 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

But Russell Brand is so irreverent
conservative pilgrim on August 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I believe the correct spelling is I R R E L E V A N T

cableguy615 on August 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Dudley who?

hawkdriver on August 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

…. not sure if you are being sarcastic hawk, or if he is really before your time …

No offense I just haven’t really paid attention to too many posts to know.

cableguy615 on August 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Third that, for all the reasons you both stated. I have a FB account but I absolutely refuse to comment on political sites that use it as the only way to comment. I suppose I could create a fake FB account for just such an eventuality, but why mess with a good thing? I am the one in control my online persona, period.

PatriotGal2257 on August 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

As for Russell Brand, I’m glad I missed it. I started to watch a little bit of it, then my niece came over to visit and we turned off the TV. Guess I didn’t miss much. :)

PatriotGal2257 on August 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Third that, for all the reasons you both stated.

PatriotGal2257 on August 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

That’ll learn me to look carefully at the name below the comment before I quote.

PatriotGal2257 on August 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Part of what NBC didn’t want you to see!

Fast forward to the 1:30 mark

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Sorry to say I guess. I don’t know who this fellow is. Sorry.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Sorry to say I guess. I don’t know who this fellow is. Sorry.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

You are fortunate, indeed.

Philly on August 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM

cableguy615 on August 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I’m being snarky. To me, they’re all irrevelent.

George who?