Quotes of the day

posted at 10:47 pm on August 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

[I]f Florida seniors were thinking rationally and self-interestedly, this Democratic attack would flop.

Paul Ryan is proposing no changes to Medicare for another 10 years, so anyone currently 55 or older wouldn’t be affected at all.

And if you assume that the law won’t get passed for a couple years, you can safely assume this issue is 100% irrelevant to anyone 53 or older…

Paul Ryan — in advocating hard money and entitlement reforms that don’t kick in for over a decade — is taking the side of seniors.

***

The secret of Paul Ryan is that he is a blend of the two; philosophically a small-government conservative, managerially a fiscal conservative.

He wants to reduce the size of government for the reasons the Tea Party elucidated — that Big Government saps individual initiative and is a betrayal of the rights enumerated in the Constitution. But he has also mastered the language and the approach of the fiscal conservatives, and has used them to get very specific about the threat posed to the American future by the coming tsunami in entitlement spending.

Ryan is able to put on the green eyeshade of the fiscal conservatives while speaking in the moral frame of the small-government conservatives. Doesn’t sound like it’s that much of a challenge, but no one else has been able to pull it off with his clarity and grace.

That’s what’s new about Paul Ryan — and it’s why liberals have reason to fear the clarity and power of his message.

***

Bob White, Mitt Romney’s partner at Bain Capital and close campaign confidante, gave Paul Ryan the ultimate compliment. “We would have hired him at Bain,” he told a campaign colleague. The buoyant 42-year-old Ryan did look a bit like the junior partner in the duo’s first sit-down interview with Bob Schieffer on 60 Minutes, matching Romney with a checked shirt and blazer. As Ryan kicked off his first two days of campaigning he was crisp, effective, and eager to show that the boss’ confidence was not misplaced. “We know who we are. We know what we believe. Now let’s go do it,” said Ryan Sunday…

As Mark Halperin has expertly detailed, the Romney team produced a nearly flawless Ryan roll-out. The pitch is that these two men are a kind of Geek Squad for the nation: efficient problem solvers who love numbers and analysis. Romney has the executive skills and Ryan knows every inch of the budget, so together they will turn around the country. The pitch spans the generations: Romney, who seems like a man of the ’50s, linking up with the first man on a national ticket from Generation X.

Ryan wasn’t the only beaming new guy on stage this weekend. The man at the top of the ticket seemed like a fresh presence too. “Ryan jacks him up,” said a campaign adviser. Romney is looser on the stump, at one point leading a cheer of “Paul! Paul! Paul!” He’s clearly pleased with his pick.

***

One way to think about the new race is in scientific terms. Romney has abandoned a strategy that relied on political mechanics in favor of one that relies on political chemistry.

A mechanical campaign aims to motivate certain identifiable blocs of voters through specific and well-rehearsed techniques — targeted appeals to well-defined demographic or geographic groups, designed to work in a classic action-reaction style.

Politics as chemistry is different. It seeks to change the relationship between the candidate and the electorate in a more fundamental way — encouraging voters to look at him and his capacity for leadership in a entirely new light, just as adding a new ingredient to a chemical solution can create an entirely new substance. For a campaign, this transformation is as much a psychological exercise as a narrowly political one…

“What I’m struck by is how the Republican campaign seems to be about big issues and big message — the state of the economy. The president’s campaign is about groups — women, minorities, ramping up turnout. It’s two different approaches,” agreed Ari Fleischer, the former White House press secretary under George W. Bush.

***

Picking Ryan answers some questions that so far Romney had not been able to address: Who is Mitt Romney and what does he stand for? The answer is that he is a business-oriented, pro-enterprise Republican who stands for limited government, budgetary discipline and entitlement reform. The more Democrats attack the choice of a “radical” running mate, the more they contribute to Romney’s rebranding. Indeed, the more widely Dems denounce Ryan as an extremist, they more they undercut the very telling line of attack that Romney is a man without convictions who will say and do anything to get elected. The more this looks like a gutsy, bold and ideological choice, the more Mitt Romney looks like a bold and principled leader rather than a flip flopping politician. More, as Michael Barone perceptively noted, Romney’s personal experience and skills at Bain involve the kind of numbers-crunching analysis that an election over the financial trajectory of the federal government will involve. Romney hasn’t wanted to talk about being governor of Massachusetts and most Americans don’t have a clear picture of what investment bankers do. That makes him Mr. Nobody from Nowhere — unless the election turns on issues where his experience in turnarounds and financial workouts becomes suddenly relevant.

***

Via the Corner.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

FORWARD..

In realistic kind of way.

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

cynccook on August 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

RR!!!

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM

First??

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Close…. but no cigar for me…. one of these times I’ll get it !

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM

R & R/2012!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM

R & R….

I need it…

So do you…

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Dire!!!!

*clink*

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

‘America’s Comeback Team’—-me likey a lot better than….

‘America’s Communist Team’.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

PappyD61 on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Can someone explain to me why I keep seeing random comments complaining about facebook today?

Kelligan on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Here is my favorite quote of the day:

RUSH: I was praying that at some point this campaign becomes one of ideology, one of ideas, one of principles, not just policy analysis, not just Electoral College analysis, but principles and ideas. I think they work. I think they have the ability, properly articulated, to be persuasive. And we have perhaps the best Republican to do that in Paul Ryan.

Harbingeing on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

LevinFan!!!

*clink*

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

First!

Fluck alla y’all!

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM

It is reserved for:

(1) Bishop

(2) Canopfor

(3) Electrongod

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

And GOPE will not betray you.

Whatever that is.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Excellent analysis as usual from Walter Russel Mead.

IR-MN on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

PappyD61 on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Can I steal one of those…?

It sounds so good.

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Competence and liking the US Constitution with a VP chaser of hard-nosed budget analysis, vs Mussolini- like nose in the air and the new fascism.

Plus the Dems VP for now is a fact-challenges plagiarizer with the intellectual depth of a film of coal dust.

NaCly dog on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Fluck alla y’all!

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

*clink*

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Kelligan on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

A couple of threads in Headlines suddenly appeared late this afternoon and the only way to comment on them was by using one’s FB account.

About a half an hour ago I was on another thread here and a poster said they had heard from Captain Ed that they are experimenting with having both Facebook comments and regular comments. Can’t verify that though.

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Wait a minute!..You are stealing my line!..LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Rock & Roll… It’s time to rumble!

iceman1960 on August 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Oh Jesus Christ! That’s all we need. More a$$holes.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM

My parents are most worried that if they need something like a knee replacement or a lifesaving procedure some bureaucrat will tell them to take the pain pill or if they pay for it themselves they wont be allowed to.

ldbgcoleman on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Kelligan on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Two of the headline threads:

Chicago is an example of what makes this country great”

Obama and Romney aren’t as similar on foreign policy as you think

They didn’t have the comment box we all know and love/hate, no, they had Facebook comments like Powerline does. And people went NUTS.

thebrokenrattle on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Wait a minute!..You are stealing my line!..LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yes but I have no idea what a gope is.

Nor do I know what a true con is.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That will ruin HA as we know it…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Here is my favorite quote of the day:

Harbingeing on August 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I love that one too….

I love this one too… heard it live this morning, music to my ears!

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

We don’t get enough trolls through open regs?

Kelligan on August 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

What in the fluke is Facebook?

Rusty Allen on August 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That will ruin HA as we know it…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Power Line lost me when they did that.

I am on Facebook, but I “religiously” keep my FB page politics-free. And any political content I get in my news feed, I simply mark as Spam.

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

, they had Facebook comments like Powerline does. And people went NUTS.

thebrokenrattle on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Powerline? That thing has that complete a$$hole Caylee. I once commented her mother Casey was supposed to have killed her.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That will ruin HA as we know it…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ed, Allah that is a really bad idea! One of the best things about hotair is the need to wait for registration, it keeps us from being overwhelmed by trolls. I hated having to wait so long for the opportunity to register, I was a lurker for 2 years… but once you finally get in you’re held accountable to not troll or spam under the threat of losing your posting privileges.

I really like the tight knit community that we have here as it is.

Please do not allow facebook postings.

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

That will ruin HA as we know it…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I agree!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I really like the tight knit community that we have here as it is.

Please do not allow facebook postings.

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

FACEbook..

I am gone…

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Please do not allow facebook postings.

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

This wouldn’t happen if Michelle was still runnin’ this dump.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Please do not allow facebook postings.

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I suspect it is TownHall, not Ed or Allah…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

From what I saw today, it all looked positive! Why, that nasty Bill Beckel looked positively chapped that Ryan was getting such a good reception- For the life of me, I don’t know why the other four on “The Five” don’t knock his teeth in most days.

BettyRuth on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

LoLz..I agree..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That will ruin HA as we know it…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I really like the tight knit community that we have here as it is.

Please do not allow facebook postings.

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

If you posts like romney is a member of the kkk or derogatory comments, by all means put Facebook postings

Conservative4ev on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Leaving behind libforrent..
Upperyerside..
and the kind…

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

[Rush] I was praying that at some point this campaign becomes one of ideology,.

And we have perhaps the best Republican to do that in Paul Ryan.

Ryan talks about the budget – not ideology.

Rush is going to be very disappointed. Ryan is not Superman.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

That will ruin HA as we know it…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Yep- and I would be moving on..no problemo.

bazil9 on August 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Screw Facebook. Todd Palin is on “Stars Earn Stripes”. Nothing else matters!

Rusty Allen on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I suspect it is TownHall, not Ed or Allah…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Does anyone here actually go to TownHall? That place is pop-up central and even my ad-blocker can’t stop them.

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Facebook? Ugh. Please no.

McDuck on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Hey, at least we got ridda libtard4life.

But I wonder.

If they allow FB in here, will I still be berated by that one clown, I forgot who, for posting her FB page?

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Rush is going to be very disappointed. Ryan is not Superman.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

There is no SuperMan…
Only someone that know reality…

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I’ve never been there and don’t plan to…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Ryan is not Superman.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Good. Because apparently y’alls buddy obama is not Spiderman.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Politico Air…?

Just tryin’ to come up with a new name for HA..

Sigh

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Bad news for O’bama here in New Hampshire; the new UNH/WMUR “poll” has him down to a 3 point lead over Romney, or well within the margin of error.

In late April he led Romney in the UNH survey by 9.

More troubling for O’bama from this new ‘un? The working class women in NH now favor Romney over O’bama. They make up 2/3 of the female NH voter pool.

O’bama won New Hampshire by 10 in 2008. Not happening again.

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

The more the American people get to know Paul Ryan, the more they’ll see that he’s the last guy who’d want to throw granny off the cliff. More like the guy who’d help granny cross Queens Blvd.

ardenenoch on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I had heard of it but never been to it before they owned hotair. I think I have opened it up twice since then, but there was so much stuff on the page I couldnt figure out what to do.

Kelligan on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

ldbgcoleman on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

This is true……….under Obamacare.

Tell them to stay away from IPAB*. Dems bad suckas!

*Death Panel

kakypat on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Somebody must have Stock in Facebook…

Barred on August 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Thanks for that link, LevinFan. After hearing Rush live this morning, I had to listen to his entire Paul Ryan monologue podcast about 3-4 times just to make sure – It’s like great music, where the more you listen to it, the more you get from it and the better it sounds. Like Rush always seems to do, he says aloud to 20 million people what I’m already thinking.

Harbingeing on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Yep, I used to go over to TH but rarely go there. There site is just to busy with too many popups. HA may be destined for the same. Sadly.

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Occasionally, Ad block and Do Not Track keeps most of the crap out.

Not bad, not great.

cozmo on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Refreshing.

Terrye on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Then I hope Townhall will actually listen to its members… the commenters who made hotair so profitable.

Actually listen to what we want instead of ruining this place.

I mean it gets tons of comments. I like therightscoop (actually like the topics better) but it’s the commenters for why I come here. Hardly any place can compete with the sheer number of comments and interaction. 1000 + threads, while therightscoop is lucky to get 100 on the same topic.

Plus on other sites you have to wait forever to even get replies.

And the way it have it now.. is intelligent replies for the most part, not trolls.

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Thx for that news..good to hear.

bazil9 on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

See B. More. He’ll fix ya up.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

FACEbook..

I am gone…

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

ME, TOO!

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Kelligan on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Well, whatever you do, DO NOT subscribe to them for e-mail updates. It’s impossible to get them to stop spamming your inbox. Just when you think you’ve gotten rid of them, they start sending crap all over again.

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

BTW, I saw a poster here on HA this morning asking about problems commenting on TH. I think they were trying the FB posting over there as well.

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I feel like I have been givin’ blow to the crotch..

Thanks LevinFan

Levin was mild tonite.

Maybe tomorrow…

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

In late April he led Romney in the UNH survey by 9.

O’bama won New Hampshire by 10 in 2008. Not happening again.

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

That’s right my friend!!

I’m in NH too.. and not on my watch!! We’re taking this state!!

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Agreed. Also, their layout is cluttered and too busy.

cynccook on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Ryan talks about the budget – not ideology.

Rush is going to be very disappointed. Ryan is not Superman.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

He does not have to give speeches about ideology to be a conservative…he has to show people how that philosophy can work in a practical way that makes sense to a broad range of people.

Terrye on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

K- been waiting for qotd..patiently..

Flora or Cindy…!! My vote in the primary is tomorrow..wanted your thoughts on the Senate race here- where are my chica’s?

bazil9 on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I am so gone if we have to go FB…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Looking down he road for the Rep party….. Super Mitt has chosen a successor- in whatever capacity he (Ryan) ends up in- that should guarantee a future course of the party that is steered right of center- for some years to come…….

Super Mitt ” bots” have to be enjoying a smidgen of affirmation today…… Severely………..

FlaMurph on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Oh Jesus Christ! That’s all we need. More a$$holes.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Second that. This place has already gone down hill with the band of liberal trolls.

gophergirl on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Let’s hope that does not happen!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Facebook is the mark of the beast.

Rusty Allen on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

bazil9 on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

You better get your ass out and vote for Sandy Adams.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Good. Because apparently y’alls buddy obama is not Spiderman.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

LOL But at least Paul Ryan looks like Superman and he’s capable of destroying Obamacare as fast as a speeding bullet….

cynccook on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

You need adblock plus ( Firefox, waterfox, opera, IE) If you want to stop tracking you need avine AKA do not track plus ( if you use firefox or waterfox). Use these… all the ads go away.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I am so gone if we have to go FB…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I will be right behind you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

LevinFan on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

It still has to make a profit.

cozmo on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Patrick Ishmael is good at polls….

Let’s ask Patrick to do a poll on FaceBook posting on HA….

I think I can call this one……

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Facebook mass murders seniors.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Well, if HA goes the route of Facebook, I’m gone.

JPeterman on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I’m with you on that, too!

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

See B. More. He’ll fix ya up.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Lanceman, I’ve found one you just have to be on the look out for She is schweet. I pulled some quotes from her and posted them together Here. Give it a quick scim. I think you will really like her. JackieB. Not to be confused with our Jackie, thatsafactjack.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

gophergirl on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

That was the name of my band in college (:

Rusty Allen on August 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Screw Facebook. Todd Palin is on “Stars Earn Stripes”. Nothing else matters!

Rusty Allen on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Ah that’s why Sarah Palin was pushing it on Facebook today.

gophergirl on August 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I will be right behind you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

This is just nuts…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

gophergirl on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

+100

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

What a moron Biden is.

Schadenfreude on August 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I thank you for making that distinction, B!

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

This is just nuts…

OmahaConservative on August 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Low hangin’ fruit are always latte..

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Hey, at least we got ridda libtard4life.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Really? When?

Been busy today and must’ve missed it !!!!

BacaDog on August 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Latte = late.

I need some more coffee….

Electrongod on August 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

d1carter on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

d1carter have you tried this? If not you might want to. Just don’t blame me when all the ads disappear and your refresh speed is 60% faster.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I ain’t been hangin’ around much.

But our three libtards have been on every single thread lately it looks like. Scared sh!tless.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Facebook used to be named BlackFaceBook. I’m just sayin’.

faraway on August 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

You better get your ass out and vote for Sandy Adams.

Lanceman on August 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I like Adams..it is the Senator election..I don’t like Mack.
You get ur a$$ out bud. ;) I voted for her last time..as you know..CD have been redrawn. I have Mica and Adams. I assume u do to.

Flora is always on top of everything..like her opinions as she is detailed in facts.. I havent had a lot of time..need some more details.

Who you going for? Senate?

bazil9 on August 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM