Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on August 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

In choosing Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) as his running mate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney not only surprised the political world late Friday night, but he has become a different candidate for president over night.

He is suddenly someone willing to take a risk, someone offering specifics instead of generalities, and someone willing to sell his own agenda to the voters instead of trying to bash his way into the Oval Office. And by embracing Ryan, and the controversial policy heft he brings to the ticket, Romney is now a serious candidate who has displayed true leadership — the willingness to do something politically dangerous because he believes it is the right thing to do…

Romney has shown now he doesn’t plan to try and win by default. He has chosen the best person, likely the only person, who can convince an anxious electorate of the need to swallow some dreadful medicine. If Ryan can’t do it, then it’s likely nobody can.

***

Many close aides had been lobbying for the low-risk, non-objectionable Pawlenty, arguing that the two could run as outsiders, taking on Washington…

Instead, Romney went for one of the most prominent faces in Washington. “Do no harm,” the campaign’s longtime philosophy about choosing a ticket mate, had suddenly become: “Let’s take a chance.” For several weeks, top aides had seen that Romney was learning toward bold over safe.

“Chemistry, seriousness, bigness,” said one of Romney’s closest advisers, when asked what sealed the deal for Ryan. “Win with a mandate to fix what needed to be fixed.”

***

Romney is rolling the dice on a bet that voters crave “substance” — in this case, a deep debate about the deficit and entitlement cuts that Romney himself has mostly dodged up to this point…

For the GOP’s conservative base, Ryan’s entry holds the tantalizing promise of elevating Romney’s game, inciting a debate on the familiar and friendly battlefield of the tea party-dominated 2010 midterms.

The 42-year-old Wisconsin congressman “knows the game — he knows math — he knows exactly what the country needs,” said Alan Simpson, the former Republican senator from Wyoming Obama tapped to co-chair his deficit commission.

“There will be an adult conversation, therefore the children will throw emotion, fear, guilt, and racism on him,” he added. “They will bomb him, bomb him, shell him coastline and bunker, and he will survive. He has facts. He uses math. He’s damn good. He’s excellent.

***

Three years ago, the Tea Party movement emerged as a way of protesting Mr. Obama’s health care legislation. Members followed up with a wave of political victories in the 2010 midterm elections that gave the movement a strong — if not always organized and coherent — voice in the Congress.

Now, Mr. Ryan’s place on the national ticket testifies to the staying power of the Tea Party ideology and provides a single person around which the movement can coalesce. When he delivers his remarks at the Republican National Convention in Tampa later this month, Mr. Ryan will be speaking for the Tea Party as much as anyone else…

[E]very movement needs someone to help it focus. For the Tea Party, Mr. Ryan appears to be that man.

***

Romney embraced Ryan after the sociopathic — indifferent to the truth — ad for Barack Obama that is meretricious about every important particular of the death from cancer of the wife of steelworker Joe Soptic. Obama’s desperate flailing about to justify four more years has sunk into such unhinged smarminess that Romney may have concluded: There is nothing Obama won’t say about me, because he has nothing to say for himself, so I will chose a running mate whose seriousness about large problems and ideas underscores what the president has become — silly and small…

When Ryan said in Norfolk, “We won’t replace our Founding principles, we will reapply them,” he effectively challenged Obama to say what Obama believes, which is: Madison was an extremist in enunciating the principles of limited government — the enumeration and separation of powers. And Jefferson was an extremist in asserting that government exists not to grant rights but to “secure” natural rights that pre-exist government.

Romney’s selection of a running mate was, in method and outcome, presidential. It underscores how little in the last four years merits that adjective.

***

Beneath Messina’s distortions lies a real and important debate. Is our welfare state basically healthy, just in need of a few tweaks to restore its fiscal health? Democrats believe, or claim to believe, that if we just raised taxes on the rich and let experts redirect Medicare spending, we could keep the open- ended entitlement programs on which we have come to rely.

Republicans, on the other hand, tend to think that our entitlement programs are structurally flawed in a way that neither tax increases nor better management can solve. Republicans do not want to abolish these entitlements. Their view is that they should be limited, and made to work with rather than against markets.

The Democratic view has a strong base of support among voters. Even those who share the Republican view, as I do, cannot be sure it will win in the court of public opinion. If Romney and Ryan do prevail in November, it will mean that voters accept the need to modernize the welfare state — and this election will end up having been the most important one since 1980.

***

[B]y making this choice, Mitt Romney is declaring war. There will be no evasion, no triangulation, no attempt to mask what is at stake in this election. Instead, Romney and Ryan will directly confront Barack Obama and call him to account for putting us on a ruinous course.

This will alter radically the dynamics of the race. The money spent by Obama trying to demonize Governor Romney will prove to be money entirely wasted. The election is not going to be about Mitt Romney. It is not going to be about the sexual revolution. It is not going to be about Bain Capital. It is going to be about the failed policies of Barack Obama, about their dangerous character, and about the sober, sound alternative the Republicans represent.

This will help the Republicans in Senate and House races immeasurably, for it will give Romney and Ryan coattails — now, without a doubt, the candidates in these other races have something concrete on which to run: repeal Obamacare, pare back the entitlements state, reform our system of taxation, and put our fiscal house in order. No one will doubt the capacity of the Republicans to rule.

I have predicted that Romney will win by a landslide. The choice of Paul Ryan means that Romney has chosen the path that will maximize the significance of his victory and its impact on the races for seats in the House and Senate.

***

“The race is now framed exactly as we want it,” said Kevin Madden, a senior Romney adviser. “Voters are going to judge our current struggling economy and President Obama’s lack of leadership on that issue very harshly, and then look at a Romney-Ryan ticket as an opportunity to take the country in a bold new direction towards a better future.”…

What Mr. Obama found appealing, the notion of a man of ideas willing to make tough choices, is what he now will need to devalue him. While Democrats openly crowed that Mr. Ryan was the choice they had hoped for because of the sharp contrast, they acknowledged he is a young, attractive, well-spoken politician who explains his plan better than his fellow Republicans do. If he makes the issue the national debt that has risen so much under Mr. Obama, rather than his solution for it, Mr. Ryan could pose a serious challenge to the president.

In other words, to put the bull’s-eye on Mr. Ryan’s back, Mr. Obama will first have to get it off his own.

***

“There’s only one president that I know of in history that robbed Medicare, $716 billion to pay for a new risky program of his own that we call Obamacare,” Romney said.

“What Paul Ryan and I have talked about is saving Medicare, is providing people greater choice in Medicare, making sure it’s there for current seniors. No changes, by the way, for current seniors, or those nearing retirement. But looking for young people down the road and saying, “We’re going to give you a bigger choice.” In America, the nature of this country has been giving people more freedom, more choices. That’s how we make Medicare work down the road.”

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

MontanaMmmm on August 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I know how annoying it can be to have something like that nagging at you! Glad I could help. :)

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

All I meant was that I never felt hatred for him (or any other president in my lifetime). For Odumbo I do.

Lol…Am I being “radicalized”?!?

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Here comes the U.S. Secret Service . . . (KNOCK … KNOCK … KNOCK)

listens2glenn on August 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

LOL! Not good.

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Lol! I’ve been there and enjoyed that look myself on more than one occasion. ; ). Hard on keyboards.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Zep! Very nice, indeed.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM

No sh!t. I think cowboy harry is bringing forward SB 3227, which says it’s a crime to disagree with Odumbo (or his “beautiful” wife.)

Kids–Eat your arugala!

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Lol…Am I being “radicalized”?!?

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

..actually, the same can be said for the hapless, drooling peanut farmer from Plains ~~ if one discounts his traitorous post-POTUShood.

I thought I despised Carter during each and every one of the 444 days he bumbled his way through the Iran hostage crisis, but going back and reviewing some candid videos of conversations reveals a man whose heart — if not his brain — was there. He cared to some degree about the fate of this country. He just acted stupidly.

There is a combination of malevolence towards this country and childish disregard for the gravity and responsibilities of the office he holds that engenders this smoldering enmity of Obama inside me.

I wish evil befall no decent man — certainly not the President of the United States — but I frankly could care less what happens to him and his hateful, grasping, mooching wife after they pass from the scene.

I’ll leave it at that.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I’ll leave it at that.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Only one word to describe your post: Brilliant.

(I was just a little kid during the Carter years. Mainly, I remember the gas shortages and the Iran hostage stuff. Too young to have seen the “malaise” speech. But, like you said–I didn’t have any hate for the guy. Now…? Lol.)

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

You’re kinder toward Obama than I, War Planner. My father used to say “You reap what you sow.” Obama will leave the White House and he will spend the rest of his life with Michelle…even if they become the first ex presidential couple to get a divorce… he is forever tied to her. I’ve taken careful note of that woman. She is a harpy. A veritable Fury. Its a fate he has earned.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I’ll leave it at that.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Won’t miss them eh? I hope to never think of them again.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Lol…Am I being “radicalized”?!?

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I knew what you meant, but I also understand what you are saying about Jugears. In my case, I had very similar feelings about Clinton based upon his political core as evidenced by the actions I listed, but certainly those feelings have intensified with Obama. Can’t really use the word hate here so much as loathing at the kind of people both of these presidents are and their hatred for America the way it was founded. Loathing as well as just plain fear for what is happening to our liberties and the direction this is taking our country. The actions of these two men are responsible for changing America from the liberty centered free country that was founded and turning it into a statist nanny state.

Hatred, that I unfortunately must confess is something that I have only felt, in the biblical sense of the word, towards John Benedict Roberts. When history is written, his decision will be cited as one of the defining moments in which the Constitutional Republic was destroyed by the twisted sophistry of a weaselly lawyer trying to secure a place in history. It is his decision that will require either a constitutional amendment or a split in the country to repair, because by his decision, he has unleashed the power of the federal government to intrude upon any element of American lives simply by punishing those who fail to comply with a “tax”. Despite the fact that such a tax as he ruled constitutional is not, because it is a head tax and the only head tax allowed by the constitution is the income tax, and that only in proportion to a person’s income.

/sorry for the rant, I guess that wound is still a bit raw

AZfederalist on August 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Haven’t listened to this on in a while.

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Amado Mio

Martini time!

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Don’t apologize…it was a good rant.

My fear inspires my hatred. (I don’t like the word or the feeling, but hey, hey, what can I do?) (I don’t hate anyone in my life, at this moment, so…)

I’m not sure, but I think you bring up a Chicken-and-Egg situation: Is Obama (and Clinton) responsible for the changes–basically in the definition of “liberty”–or were the changes themselves what allowed a marxist like odumbo into the White House?

(No doubt, Odumbo has furthered his cause of subjugating the American citizen.)

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM

/sorry for the rant, I guess that wound is still a bit raw

AZfederalist on August 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

..good and decent rant, friend. QOTD is the vehicle for that kind of stuff and you’re among friends.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Am I first?

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

. Of course, it’s probably that I’m racist and didn’t know it.)

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM

….dude!…We are from the Detroit area!…We have had Coleman A Young, John Conyers, Barbara Rose Collins, MaMa Kilparick and Kwame Kilpatrick… whipping us for decades for wearing robes at night and holding burning crosses everywhere we go…(even though my folks came off the boat and were marching with the ancestors of those that came over on the bottom of the boat…before my folks even learned English!)
Nope!…if your skin is lighter shade…you’re racist!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Won’t miss them eh? I hope to never think of them again.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM

..man, was that a great movie! Incredibly stark lines delivered like that; a scalpel cut so precise and deep that the blood appears only after some seconds.

Patricia Neal was never lovelier; Gary Cooper never so laconic.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Your takedown of Dannyjwhatever was primo work!..Thumbs up!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Am I first?

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

..possibly for tomorrow night’s QOTD.

C-

(Sorry, could not resist.)

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

sip & enjoy the master

jrsrigmvr on August 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Early call time tomorrow, today.

Good Night All.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Hinderaker @ Power Line

Barack Obama, of course, can’t take his campaign out of the gutter, because if he does so he will have to talk about his record, and then he will lose.

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

..good night. May your slumber be filled with visions of Barack and Michelle..in your rear view mirror!

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM

nite bmore

Romney/Ryan 2012

jrsrigmvr on August 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM

jrsrigmvr on August 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Very cool, indeed, Fred!

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Goodnight, B. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Hey, Kool. Good to see ya.
Since I have you here, and since it’s QOTD and off-topic is encouraged…

What did you think of the passing of the DIA millage? (A local sports talk radio station was ALL for it, and couldn’t understand how anyone could possibly vote against it.)

Personally, I loved how they cajoled their way into an August ballot. Why wasn’t it put on the November ballot? Well, precisely because MORE PEOPLE would have had the chance to vote on it!

Any other thoughts? (I voted for Durant.)

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Early call time tomorrow, today.

Good Night All.

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Night mang!

tom daschle concerned on August 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Bmore on August 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

See ya, B. :)

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I lost the prefix

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

…did you see our buddy Dr. T was back tonight?
Hope he didn’t get the ban hammer at his new cypher home!
You think we can send him off to find Dave until November? It would give him something to do… since he declared he’s not going to vote anyway! (The meds had him talking about 70 eleven times … and he’s not even going to vote) There has to be at least 70 eleven sites where he could go look for Dave!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Stop

I leave you with this little tune. I bid you all a fond goodnight. Its been a real pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Good tune. Also, funny to see the 80′s helmet hair!

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Night, jack!

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

There is a Palin post!..Are you going to play policeman tonight??..:)

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 1:53 AM

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM

..night, ma’am.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

nite Jackie: you never cease to amaze me

Romney/Ryan 2012

Fred

thatsafactjack on August 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM

jrsrigmvr on August 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Hey, did you see my post here?

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Nope, Bmore took care of it…

Did you post anything?

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM

.well, the Comeback Team has hit the big time. There’s a neat poster out about them.

Also, they’ve picked their new campaign logo.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Did you post anything?

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I don’t think so..But we can pretend I did..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Well, G’nite HA folks.
Sleep well.

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

.gotta scoot. Thanks for the drinks, folks!

Someone please tell angrymike I need the link to his blog.

BCNU es 73s.

dit dit.

The War Planner on August 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I don’t think so..But we can pretend I did..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Well, if so, I hope you and Tesla had fun discussing the topics to be discussed at the upcoming VP debate…

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Did you post anything?

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I don’t think so..But we can pretend I did..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

But I might have..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:09 AM

You do know he is a Doctor..LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Any other thoughts? (I voted for Durant.)

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

…I worked for and voted for all the losers again!
I think Brooks Patterson was the only one I got right! Durant was the better man. I had to go for Cassis for Moron McCotter’s spot…since she is pretty conservative and Kerry Bentivolio recently had a BK! I didn’t like him preaching about budgets!
Where I live everybody that’s a Democrat runs as a Republican in the primary…and whoever wins ALWAYS goes unopposed in the general.
When I first moved here historically they never had any candidates except one in the primary…so I filed and finally others did. (It pissed the locals off)…then when the local paper “declared” whoever wins the primary…that candidate wins the election…I filed as an independent (you can do that weeks later)…just to give the paper a civics lesson. I didn’t do anything and the number of votes was surprising. They did it again in ’08 (:->)…so I did it again and the paper doesn’t like me too much. I’m waiting to see what this weeks paper declares…I really don’t feel like standing in front of our local Kroger’s for a few hours getting the required signatures to file…but I will! That’s what pissed me off about McCotter’s people! They didn’t need to go door to door! They would have spent less time in a parking lot… than doing all that cutting and pasting they are going to trial for!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

You do know he is a Doctor..LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM

An ME with an EE’s nic…

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM

LoLz..Good point!..:)

PS..So what do you think of the Ryan pick??..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM

…I’m slow…I had to take the old lab out…and I HAVE TO SEE him do his Obama’s on the lawn before I go to bed. He’s so old…he has surprised me with a couple of Obama’s in the foyer a couple of times…he’s old and happy and can hardly get up…so if there’s no Obama accidents…the wife won’t be suggesting I put him down. (:->)

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I’d sign your petition in a heartbeat….just come on down to Manchester!

Don’t worry, we have no Kroger here.

Wolfmoon on August 13, 2012 at 2:27 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I have a friend who is your position..His lab has hip problems..It break’s your heart..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM

what do you think of the Ryan pick??..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Whoever helps Mitt win this November works for me…

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Well, G’nite HA folks.
Sleep well.

RedCrow on August 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM

…shet!…get up!
I voted for the DIA (cuz I go there)…but my wife and three kids more than cancelled me out.
The bride and I did the candidates the same…but the kids screwed 50% of them up!…The one told me Hoekstra looked like a “nice old man”!…Geeeez!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM

…I think he was 12 when I got him and I’ve had him for 4 years. He’s deaf now too…so the wife worries when he follows her for walks on the road…he follows 10-20 feet behind and she has to run back and get him to the side of the road if a car comes from behind – cuz the duffus can’t hear it. It’s okay with me though…my bride’s getting in pretty good shape!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I hear you!..I’m prety jazzed about the Ryan pick!..Time will tell!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Sounds like a great dog ad friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:48 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Sounds like a great dog and friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Sorry..Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM

what do you think of the Ryan pick??..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I wanted Jindal or Condi…and the wife wanted Ryan. I wanted him where he was at if we get the Senate…my wife didn’t want another governor that doesn’t have “Washington” experience. My kids like him too! (He’s coooooool dad…not like the clown with the plugs and the dentures!)

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I hear you!..I think Ryan was a very good choice..I was also pulling for Jindal!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM

…well…I gotta go look for Dave…6:30 is going to come before I want it to! Sleep well patriots!

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Hope you have a good day!..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Gohawgs you still out there??..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Gohawgs you still out there??..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I’m here, HAL…

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Gohawgs on August 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM

..:)

Dire Straits on August 13, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Good morning

Without TV this am so you’ll have to rely on Marcus. NC and Renalin for the MJ updates

cmsinaz on August 13, 2012 at 5:40 AM

I was very concerned that Mitt was going to pick some hideous RINO like Christie or colorless geek like Pawlenty. He didn’t. I’m happy with his choice of Ryan. I think they both understand the sh*tstorm of negativity that will descend on them from Obama and his minions in the media. If they have any doubts, they only need look at the Joe Soptic ad again. It’s hard to imagine a campaign going lower than that, but if anyone is capable, it’s Duh Won. Hold on to your hats, boys. This is fixin to be one wild ride…yeehaw!

swinia sutki on August 13, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Using his surrogates, Barack Hussein Obama is following in the footsteps of Lyndon Baines Johnson. In a Texas race he thought he might lose, LBJ instructed his campaign staff to put out a story that his opponent was once caught having sexual relations with a pig (an actual pig, not Nancy Pelosi). One of his staff said, “But that’s not true,” LBJ replied, “But let him deny it.”

RasThavas on August 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM

cmsinaz: the panel very happy with mitts bold choice. a brilliant man, good family. mika was a little icy but warmed up when andrea mitchell pointed out that ryans wife went to wellesley and that her uncle, dan boren, is a democrat.

renalin on August 13, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Thanks Renalin :)
Im sure john heilman or someone will begin the bashing in short order no experience etc

cmsinaz on August 13, 2012 at 6:27 AM

cmsinaz; oh yeah mark halperin said out of 18 good reasons to pic a vp choice, that ryan hit 15.

the three he is missing are
1. how his budget will meld with romney
2. appeal to independents
3. lack of foreign policy experience.

renalin on August 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Hallelujah! My take.

kingsjester on August 13, 2012 at 6:35 AM

If they attack the Obamamedia for harming America and being corrupted with the leftist agenda every time they do their math dog and pony show–they may have a chance, but to assume the masses think as we do, would be a catastophic mistake. First, the case for change must be made to the none-political junkie on main street that we’re in big trouble and Obama and big goverment got us here(not without the help of the GOP)

If you don’t talk family values and restoring sanity and sell the unreast and division as coming from th left to undermine our great nation, you’ll miss the motive behind our present trouble. Go for it. But don’t expect me to help if you play the GOP’s favorite Obama-lite RINOville games to buy votes.

Don L on August 13, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Natch renalin

Nevermind dear leader lack of ANY experience,

cmsinaz on August 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM

the three he is missing are
1. how his budget will meld with romney
2. appeal to independents
3. lack of foreign policy experience.

1. Of course they’ll meld or suffer media death.
2. to Hades with the indies -let them chose-freedom or communism
(or to paraphrase Obama-they didn’t win)
3. Foreign policy? How much experience does he need to know enough to stop bowing to our enemies?
4.(be like Reagan, make the atteck relentless, with a twinkle in your eyes. If you make the mistake of getting hot or angry,or worse, look like Mr. Aloof messiahship or his alter ego, Mr. Offended meesiahship, and you lose.

Don L on August 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM

joe pounding his fist on the desk saying that hard core movement conservatives like himself are excited for the first time in years. the kind of people who put bumper stickers on cars in churches. joe expects conservative involvement will be massive with the ryan pick. the days of smaller government are here crows joe.

renalin on August 13, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Did Joe just say that they’ve given up on Ohio by picking Ryan instead of Portman? What a Jackass!

Naturally Curly on August 13, 2012 at 7:04 AM

someone must have spoken into joes headphones, so he reminded the audience that ryan did support medicare part d a 7 trillion dollar unfunded mandate.

(duh!)

renalin on August 13, 2012 at 7:05 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM

But of course Bobby Jindal does have Washington experience.

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 7:21 AM

You folks do know that the portion of the interview where Romney/Ryan discussed Medicare was cut out of the 60 minutes interview. :(

TarheelBen on August 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

From this morning’s NY Times editorial.

Even less familiar to voters are Mr. Ryan’s plans for the rest of the federal budget, which if anything are worse than his Medicare proposal. By cutting $6 trillion from federal spending over the next 10 years, he would eliminate or slash so many programs that the federal government would be unrecognizable.

And that ladies and gents is what scares the hell out of the liberal left about Paul Ryan.

Flora Duh on August 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM

I’m happy with the Ryan pick. I don’t think there’s better in the field that Romney could have chosen. When they win it will be up to Scott Walker to find an appropriate successor. A worthy person to do so. Now to get Rand Paul in charge of budget over in the Senate.

Damn, I live in Manassas VA and did not get the message until after the event that Romney, Ryan, and Gov. McDonnell were appearing at the town pavilion Saturday afternoon. Missed a good one.

ironked on August 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM

NC joe doesn’t trust Ohioans to do the right thing ;

cmsinaz on August 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM

-George Will

Yes, yes and MORE YES.

I will be very enthusiastically casting my vote for Romney and Ryan. This is such an easy choice. I’ve already donated and plan to give more.

As another commenter stated,
After 4 years of Barack Obama, the country needs a little R & R!

bluegill on August 13, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Claire McCaskill is getting destroyed by Steve Doocey right now. Steve Doocey!

Naturally Curly on August 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Demographics is the killer of the ‘entitlements’.

They are created to do something that is not given to government to do: to care for our fellow man and to lead responsible lives planning for our own future and expecting to take care of ourselves.

The evil nature of seeing government as a ‘charity’ is that government is about power to coerce, charity is about the power to build a better society through one’s own actions. When given to government the ‘good’ of a ‘social safety net’ turns into an evil because it is an exercise of power, not of prudence and charity. It is an attempt to give government a responsibility that we cannot give up and still be free people. Once you fall into the hands of government it is to be remembered that it is a PUNISHER not a builder of society. So said Paine and it remains so to this day as this is the nature of government, which is built on the ruins of the bowers of paradise.

Once you give government the power to tax the young, to take food and livelihood from the young who are just starting their lives and need to prepare for the future, you are mortgaging their future and impoverishing them to a life of looking forward to servitude to the debt of their parents. That debt grows because of having fewer children and of extended life expectancy. The latter, alone, destroys ‘safety nets’ as they become overwhelmed with more people than can and could ever be planned for since government is not an investor in society but a taker of the lifeblood of it.

In a federalist system any attempts at a ‘social safety net’ does not start at the top, that government that is least accountable, least able to hear the individual, least able to adapt, least able to understand local problems….no that responsibility starts at the bottom with self-government and you. You are the basis for all government over you which starts with YOURSELF. You are granted the power as an inalienable right to build society, to protect yourself, to judge the future and prepare for it at the most local of levels. Your choice to be a power in your life and the lives of those around you builds society… government steals from you your livelihood and when it does so in the name of doing those things that you CANNOT give up because it is your sole responsibility to build society, then you agree to evil. Once in place only the civil tools of holding government accountable are left to you and clawing back from the ne’er-do-well society that such theft with poor oversight engenders and the dependence along with it, becomes a much, much harder task as you must not only fight against government but against those who willingly say that YOU are unable to do good with your own productive life.

The question isn’t about tweaking these things, or limiting them.

The target is to roll them back, get others to realize that they ARE slandering YOU by saying that government creates the GOOD and that you are INCAPABLE OF DOING THAT. The ‘help’ of government is bought at the cost of individuals and their self-made organizations building a better society to care for the poor, the weak, the infirm, and those who need a help up to a better life. If government COULD solve these problems then we have spent ENOUGH money on that project, more than any other Nation on this planet has ever spent and ever CAN SPEND in that objective and have gotten nowhere in its pursuit save in great debt that puts the Nation at risk forevermore.

Math is, indeed, a stubborn thing.

The numbers do not lie.

Demographics are destiny.

We are at the end of the road paved with good intentions and that creaking sound behind us are the gates of hell about to be slammed shut on us. If you think the way back is impossible then just turn to face the heat on the way forward. This is your last chance to say, ‘you know, a few steps back just might be a REAL GOOD IDEA just now’.

Or to gird yourself to march through center of hell and then keep on marching in any direction once you get there as any way out is a way out then… because we have stupidly gotten rid of the map of freedom and liberty and are in the heart of darkness where those things do not shine any more and only our memory of them will allow us to continue for a few short years.

This election is about the size, scope and power of the US government.

You decide… a few steps forward will but is darkness… a step or two back will get us on the other side of those gates.

Best hurry and make up your minds.

Time has nearly run out.

ajacksonian on August 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Claire McCaskill is getting destroyed by Steve Doocey right now. Steve Doocey!

Naturally Curly on August 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Darn! I missed it! It must have been a wonder to behold.

esr1951 on August 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM

chuck F. todd gives the white house spin.

Both obama and ryan slow down medicare spending.

obama won’t change medicare. ryan will change medicare.

(no wonder mitt wants to keep ryan as far away from florida as he can)

renalin on August 13, 2012 at 8:10 AM

ajacksonian on August 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Isn’t the center of hell sort of hot? I’m more of a cold weather guy, can I walk out on the flanks somewhere?

Bishop on August 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Morning, y’all.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Morning, y’all.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

buenos dias!

renalin on August 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Palin not invited to speak…

TATEMENT FROM GOVERNOR SARAH PALIN ABOUT THE REPUBLICAN CONVENTION — YOU SEE IT FIRST RIGHT HERE
by Greta Van Susteren

Aug 12 2012 – 11:31 PM ET

“…Everything I said at the 2008 convention about then-candidate Obama still stands today, and in fact the predictions made about the very unqualified and inexperienced Community Organizer’s plans to “fundamentally transform” our country are unfortunately coming true. This year is a good opportunity for other voices to speak at the convention and I’m excited to hear them. As I’ve repeatedly said, I support Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan in their efforts to replace President Obama at the ballot box, and I intend to focus on grassroots efforts to rally Independents and the GOP base to elect Senate and House members so a wise Congress is ready to work with our new President to get our country back on the right path. This is imperative. As President Clinton said in 2008 while candidate Obama and lapdogs in the media were thrashing his wife’s record and reputation, this is “…the biggest fairy tale.” For the sake of America’s solvency and sovereignty we must close this nonsensical book in November…”- Sarah Palin

Yet McCain and Huckabee are speaking??

ChuckTX on August 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM

If Ryan is an extreme right-winger and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district?

His lowest share of the vote was 57% — in his first race. He routinely wins over two-thirds of the vote.

When Obama swept the nation in 2008, he carried Ryan’s district by 4 points. But at the same time, Ryan won reelection with 65% of the vote, meaning that 20% of Obama voters also voted for Paul Ryan.

Resist We Much on August 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Morning, y’all.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Same to you, lady. (hard scowl)
Oh, who am I kidding . . . . good morning : )

listens2glenn on August 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Andrew Klavan has some fun mocking the media’s response to the R and R ticket.

onlineanalyst on August 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Hmmmm…

John_Frank Yesterday 11:59 PM

What we are witnessing is a huge power play and the back story is important. Some we know based on the record, and some is based on my filling in the blanks.

This saga starts in 2000 with the election of George W. Bush as President.

In 2004, after taking the country to war against Iraq and Afghanistan, while running up huge deficits and dramatically increasing the size of the Federal Government, Bush pleaded with conservative leaders to support his re-election effort promising that after the election he would change course, by reigning in government spending, coming up with a plan to balance the budget and so forth.

Bush was re-elected and declined to change course. In response, Richard Viguerie lead a conservative rebellion against the Republican party and the Bush administration.

As a result in the 2006 mid-term election, millions of right of center and independent conservative voters stayed home. The Republicans lost control of both the House and the Senate to the Democrats, suffering a monumental defeat.

Notwithstanding this defeat, the Republicans nominated John McCain as their Presidential nominee. The nomination of Sarah Palin as his running mate energized Republicans, including those who had left the party in 2006, while attracting PUMA voters and McCain surged into the lead.

In the face of the financial crisis, McCain endeavored to act in what he perceived was an honorable fashion. He did force a better deal, including compelling the Democrats and the Bush administration to abandon the idea of setting up a multimillion dollar slush fund for ACORN.

However, for this effort he ended up being rolled by the Democrats and abandoned by House Republicans. Having thrown in his lot with Bush, his lead evaporated, and even though the Governor was able to stop the bleeding with her debate performance, it was too little.

A couple of million right of center voters and independent conservative decided to stay home and not vote for McCain, having concluded that a McCain administration would be no different from a Bush administration.

In 2010, under the leadership of Sarah Palin and the TEA Party movement, the millions of right of center and independent conservative voters who had abandoned the Republican party in 2006, along with many PUMA voters came out in force. The result? Republicans swept State House elections and scored the biggest victory in Congressional politics in over a half century.

But for electoral fraud on the part of Harry Reid in Nevada, the GOPe abandoning a flawed candidate in Delaware who defeated the GOPe candidate in the primary and Mitt Romney mucking things up in California, Republicans would have regained control of the Senate.

Mitt Romney needs these same voters to come out for him in force this year, if he is to defeat Obama in November.

The problem? His campaign was generating very little enthusiasm among these voters and the polling data was showing that Romney was in exactly the same position that McCain was in before he selected Governor Palin as his running mate.

What to do? The Romney campaign decided to select Paul Ryan as Romney’s running mate. His role? To bring out these voters for Romney. The problem? Although Ryan is a good man, he is not a game changer. Yes, his selection moved the campaign in the right direction, but …

In the meantime, negotiations had been ongoing between the Romney campaign and Governor Palin about her roll at the convention.

The first card was played when the Governor gave her email interview to Peter Boyer.

Time passed. Cruz won his primary. High profile people were speaking out, calling for the Governor to be able to speak at the convention.

In April of this year, Ed Gillespie came on as adviser to the Romney campaign. The GOPe, in an effort to influence Romney’s VP pick began working over time, including an effort to re-write what transpired in 2008.

Ultimately, as part of this effort, Dick Cheney was trotted out. He said in an ABC interview that Palin’s selection was a mistake. The following morning, McCain fully and completely rebuffed that charge. The Governor waited 24 hours, to give Cheney an opportunity to back down. He did not.

So, she went on Greta van Susteren’s show and made Cheney look like a fool and an idiot.

Also, in response to a question from Greta, she gave the Republican party and the GOPe the back of her hand as far as speaking at the convention.

The next day, during the course of an interview with Bolling, the Governor indicated that her people and Romney’s people were talking. At the same time she stated that following in the footsteps of GHW Bush, GW Bush and Newt Gingrich, she was prepared to step aside and let new voices speak at the convention.

Negotiations ensued between the parties. The Steelman primary took place. The parties were moving closer. No more attacks, party unity, etc., etc.

So where did the negotiations break down?

I believe they broke down over what the Romney campaign was prepared to allow the Governor to say at the convention.

The Romney campaign wanted her to give a speech in which she gave a really hard Romney sell.

Last night in response to the Ryan announcement, she published her FB note. I believe the note set out what she was prepared to say.

Who was she expressly speaking to in that note? The millions of disaffected voters who were no longer prepared to support “business as usual” having left the Republican party in 2006, some of whom came back in 2008, along with the PUMA voters and all those who answered her message and that of the TEA Party movement in 2010; i.e. the very people that the Romney/Ryan ticket needed to come out and vote for them to beat Obama.

What she said in her FB note was not what the Romney campaign wanted her to say; and even though she reiterated her full support in the Breem interview that was not good enough.

While the Breem interview was taking place, the Romney campaign publicly distanced itself from Ryan’s common sense entitlement reform proposals in an effort to deflect the Democrat attacks on the House budget, agreeing that budget was austere, etc. even though:

– the budget merely slows down the rate of grow in spending and does not call for the budget to be balanced for 24 years.

– Romney has said that he wants to balance the budget in 8 – 10 years.

So, she called the bluff of the RNC and the Romney campaign and ultimately issued her public statement to Van Susteren.

In the statement, the door was left slightly ajar. The Romney campaign refused to budge, and Priebus as RNC chair ultimately issued his statement that he was saddened she would not be attending the convention, etc.

So, where does that leave Sarah Palin and her supporters?

Going out independently of the Romney campaign and working to:

– Get the disaffected voters who came out in 2010 to come out again in 2012 to help elect common sense constitutional conservatives to the House and Senate who will buck the GOPe and push for “sudden and relentless reform,” with the object of keeping the House and regaining control of the Senate.

– Encourage these voters to go to the polls to defeat Obama, etc.

In that regard, it is essential that we do everything we can to help Sandy Adams win her primary on Tuesday.

– After the election, representing these voters and working with those members of the House and Senate who are prepared to stand up to the permanent political class, to be in their face and the new President, to push for “sudden and relentless reform.”

– What happens if Republicans keep the House and win control of the Senate but Obama wins re-election? Not going to cross that bridge. We need to be all in with the mission as outlined in her FB note, her post to Gretawire and as announcements are rolled out.

– What happens in 2014 and 2016? Hard to tell at this juncture. A lot depends on future events, but if the Republican establishment persists on a course that rejects “sudden and relentless reform,” I believe the Governor will be at the fore, leading the charge and this time ….

P.S. I stand with Sarah Palin.

ChuckTX on August 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM

ChuckTX on August 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I stand with those who want to defeat Obama/Biden. Sarah Palin is one of them.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

There is nothing Obama won’t say about me, because he has nothing to say for himself…

That about sums it up.