Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on August 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

Five solid hours of Ryan-palooza this morning in case you’re still jonesing after yesterday’s announcement. As I write this, the man himself isn’t yet scheduled to appear, but expect a brief satellite interview or two to have been hastily arranged overnight. Public interest is too high right now not to take advantage. One amazing footnote here: Tim Pawlenty, who just got passed over for VP after making the shortlist for the second election in a row, is scheduled to do not one but two segments in defense of the Romney/Ryan ticket. That’s a loyal soldier. Go ahead and pencil him in now for a cabinet position if Romney wins.

The Ryan announcement means there’ll be much less time this morning to dissect the Obama Super PAC smear ad heard ’round the world, but look out for a few minutes on that in each show’s panel section. It’ll make for a nice contrast with Romney’s exceedingly substantive VP pick. The line-up via WaPo:

NBC’s Meet the Press: Former Governor Tim Pawlenty; Rachel Maddow, MSNBC; Chuck Todd, NBC; former Gov. Frank Keating (R-OK); Dan Balz, Washington Post

CBS’ Face the Nation: Eric Fehrnstrom, senior advisor to the Romney Campaign; Stephanie Cutter, Obama deputy campaign manager; Newt Gingrich; Ruth Marcus, Washington Post; Bob Shrum, The Week; David Frum, Daily Beast; Michael Gerson, Washington Post; Roger Simon, Politico

ABC’s This Week: Former Gov. Tim Pawlenty; David Axelrod, senior adviser to the Obama campaign; Cokie Roberts, ABC; former Vermont Governor Howard Dean; Paul Gigot, Wall Street Journal; California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom; Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal

Fox News Sunday: Sen. John McCain (R-AZ); Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL); Chip Saltsman, former Huckabee campaign manager; Erin McPike, RealClearPolitics; Liz Cheney, Keep America Safe; David Drucker, Roll Call

CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley: Sen. John Thune (R-SD); David Axelrod, senior adviser to the Obama campaign; Ed Gillespie, senior adviser to the Romney campaign

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

a capella on August 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Cool! Your all-time total is:
282,664 blocked
Abine.com | the online privacy company

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

OT

Barry’s war chest all at a sudden is bulging with the gift money from the Wedding Registry.

bayview on August 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Mine are coming from email subs I signed up for…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I installed this a couple of months ago. To date it registers 159,000 cookies blocked.

a capella on August 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’ve tried that a couple of times .. Last night, even, and for some stupid reason it just won’t download right for me (xp). Got it installed once, but didn’t work at all. So disappointed, since y’all have such good reports.
Is there any other recommended free app I could try that does the same job ??

pambi on August 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Is there any other recommended free app I could try that does the same job ??

pambi on August 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Are you using Firefox as your browser?

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

pambi on August 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Maybe it won’t run on XP. I am running Windows 7…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

DWS “every word she says is a lie, including ‘and’ and ‘the’.”

SurferDoc on August 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Care to explain the contradiction or are you a liar?

nobar on August 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

It’s not a contradiction. One can be for limited government yet recongize that government isn’t necessary. I can be for limited government and know that government isn’t necessary for roads to exist; that roads would exist if there were no government. I’m a libertarian leaning more toward anarcho-capitalism as I read and learn more about it.

Regardless, both limited government and no government are still opposed to big government.

Dante on August 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I’ve been reading with amazement (for lack of a better word) and the “fist-shaking” of some of the Ron Paul Crew on here. For them, I would like to share the words of Libertarian writer Dr. Tim Nerenz, whom I (as a conservative-leaning Libertarian), deeply respect:

Some people can’t see past the things that divide libertarians and conservatives; and there are indeed enough to warrant the two different nameplates. But I prefer to focus on the things that unite us, because when we are united we win elections.

And when we win elections we at least give ourselves a chance to restore liberty as our nation’s first principle instead of just writing about how nice it would be to live free again someday.

right of the dial on August 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

oops, won’t let me add the link…anyhow here is is:

right of the dial on August 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

You HotAirheads are living in a self-indulgent fantasyland. Paul Ryan is the Dennis Kucinich of the GOP. He’s exciting to you who are incapable of seeing beyond your own base, but the rest of the country will view him as little more than a Romney MiniMe.

An intellectual? Hahaha. From the Homer Simpson School of Economics?

bifidis on August 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Sniff..sniff… Do I detect the aroma of sour grapes? Why, yes. Yes I do.

And sweet, sweet tears of bitter leftist frustration.

Solaratov on August 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

No, Granny Won’t Get Run Over By A Ryandeer

M2RB: Alexander Ebert

Resist We Much on August 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Bifidis tries to speak for the whole country, but he/she, like most leftists, has no conception of the fact that most of the country doesn’t think like they do.
But I realize he/she is nothing but a mouthpiece who doesn’t think for herself, but rather carries the water for the talking points Axelrod Inc. sends out for the day.

Right Mover on August 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I haven’t gotten any Ann emails, but I haven’t sent any $$.
Could that be it ??
I dunno.

pambi on August 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

One of mine came via my subscription to The Political Insider…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I have a throwaway email address I use for political purposes. I had never gotten any political email at my personal account, until I used it to register at HA.

Flora Duh on August 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

YOU are what is wrong with the country.

Dante on August 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM

YOU…are an idiot.

You would rather see the country destroyed than vote for someone who can, at least, start the turn-around that we must have.
But then, you probably believe that “the people will rise up and throw out the oppressors”, and “return to a true republic”, if things become too bad. You Stormfront-types live for that.
Keep dreamin’, Skippy.

Solaratov on August 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Sightly OT:

Am reading on Twitter this morning that barack has broken the long tradition of calling the opposition party’s VP nominee and congratulating him. Keepin’ it classy, barack, as usual. Sheesh. What a baby.

Clearly with Ryan, it’s personal for barack — has never gotten over the obamacare summit dressing down in front of the nation. Good. Ryan is living inside barack’s head.

Rational Thought on August 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Barrack is such a small man…

RockyJ. on August 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Flora Duh on August 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Must have come from TownHall then. I resent having my address sold/given out if that’s the case. I have never been to their website and joined HA when MM still owned it…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

In light of the Ryan hoopla and the network liberals’ knee-jerk need to defend Our Idiot President, this should be fun:

NBC: R; Kook-fringe-left; D; R; D

CBS: R; nutty D; R; D; D; lib R; lib R; D

ABC: R; D; D; kook-fringe-D; R; D; nominal R

Fox: Rino-AZ; Kook-D; R; Erin McPike (unknown); R; Drucker (unknown)

CNN: R; D; R

Score, including moderators:

D – 14
Kook-fringe-left – 3
R – 13
Other – 3 (McPike, Drucker, Wallace – all three on Fox, of course)

Special mention to CBS, which assembled the lamest group of the week, with Newt Gingrich the only voice to offset Romney’s idiot Fehrnstrom, the kook-fringe left, five Democrats, and two worthless RINOs. Nice.

Jaibones on August 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Keep dreamin’, Skippy.

Solaratov on August 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

On the contrary, I’m the one who wishes to stop the direction we’ve been heading in and save the country. You are the one who continues to vote for the destroyers who have brought us to where we are today.

Your Republican administrations – every single one of them – have grown government; have increased spending; have increased the debt and deficits; have raised taxes; have given us Souter, Roberts, Obamacare, the TSA, the DHS, amnesty; unconstitutional wars; infringements on liberty; mafia-like extortion of the states. The list goes on and on, and none of it is limited, Constitutional government. None of it. Yet YOU want to keep voting for these destroyers. You think Romney and Ryan are going to do anything different than any Republican administration over the last, say, 60 years? Don’t make me laugh.

You tell me how voting for Romney/Ryan is going to stop the growth of Leviathan. You tell me how voting for Romney/Ryan is going to resotre our infringed rights and return us to limited government. You tell me how voting for Romney/Ryan is going to prevent something like Obamacare or Kelo or Sitz. You tell me how voting Republican is going to change ANYTHING, when I have nothing but history to throw in your face and prove otherwise.

Dante on August 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

hey it looks like ryan is working out his abs while watching mitt. is that a p90x thingy? or he just bored?

renalin on August 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

p90x? Is that what you used to stay in shape during your vast military service?
After all, since R&R’s lack of military experience was so important to you yesterday, one must presume that you have served.

You did serve, didn’t you?

Solaratov on August 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

someone let me know when he attacks obama.

renalin on August 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Why? You gonna cry? And call somebody names?

Solaratov on August 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

renalin, are you really a Republican?

hawkdriver on August 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Why…NO. Why would you ask?

Lil Ren is much too ideologically pure to be a mere Republican.

Solaratov on August 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

OT

bayview on August 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Wow, she’s almost a half a century younger than he is.

Wonder if George will give her some of his Halliburton stock as a wedding gift?

Del Dolemonte on August 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Bifidis, Do you know why your sneer stinks? Because your lips have been in foul places, eagerly ingesting foulness that someone told you was chocolate ice cream. They are wrong and we can smell it.

aloysiusmiller on August 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Testing

bluefox on August 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Jaibones on August 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thank you. ; )

Bmore on August 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I’m impressed at how much smarter you all are than the ones who actually do the hard work of winning an election are.

So much smarter.

And if they would just listen to you they would win in a landslide.

Just wow.

Romney and Ryan and thier staffs are doing just fine without your words of infinite wisdom to steer by…

If you think you are so much smarter why are you commenting here rather than working on the campaign?

Back seat drivers and Monday morning quarter backs are the worst.

And Dante–get a new brain. Somethings happened to the one in your head, it is malfunctioning big time.

petunia on August 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Looks like I’ll be skipping by a lot of posts again today.
Sure gets tiring.
Sigh.

pambi on August 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Which is why HA really should set up the comments with the names on top, so it is easy to skip over those who are diarrhea-mouthed.

Siddhartha Vicious on August 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Sightly OT:

Rational Thought on August 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Barrack is such a small man…

RockyJ. on August 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I keep thinking this man can’t sink any lower, but he continues to astound. What a spoiled infant.

avagreen on August 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thank you. ; )

Bmore on August 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

And you. Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than highlighting the absurdity and intellectual corruption of the DNC media.

Jaibones on August 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Maybe it won’t run on XP. I am running Windows 7…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Concerning Do Not Track by Abine, I just installed it for my Chrome Browser and for Firefox on my good ol’ winxp laptop. Seems to work fine.

NOMOBO on August 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Dante on August 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Dante, look at it this way. You have four choices:

1. Vote for Obambi and we will go hyperspeed to hell in a handbasket

2. Vote for Romney and we will go much more slowly to hell in a
handbasket with the outside chance of actually changing directions

3. Vote for a third party candidate who doesn’t have a snowball’s chance of winning, thereby contributing to the election of Obambi–see choice 1.

4. Don’t vote. It’s not your fault and we won’t blame you. How could we–you didn’t vote. But you might as well have pulled the lever for Obambi. See choice 1.

Sometimes Practicality really does trump Ideology, like when we need to throw out the worst president in history.

NOMOBO on August 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

NOMOBO on August 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I reject your characterization and premise.

Dante on August 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM