MSNBC’s Mitchell: Ryan “not a pick for women”

posted at 3:31 pm on August 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Just after Paul Ryan made his running-mate debut in front of the USS Wisconsin on Saturday, Andrea Mitchell reported back to MSNBC — and decreed that Romney’s selection means that “this is a base election. This is not a pick for suburban moms, this is not a pick for women.” …What the what?

In the name of all that is holy — stop presuming to speak for me. Please, please, please, liberal women, quit boxing me in to your stupid self-stereotypes. It never fails to mystify me as to why women could possibly be so eager to reduce the scope of their interests to such small-minded identifications. Oh, that’s right — most of them don’t, it’s just a stupid political ploy by the Left to make it seem like there’s no logical way that half of the population could group themselves with the Republican party.

According to progressives these days, it appears that the depth of my political sentience amounts to assuring free contraception and guaranteeing my right to get an abortion (because, duh, ‘we don’t want the government in our bedrooms’ and whatever). I suppose there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that “suburban moms” could be more concerned with their children’s future in terms of their employment and wealth prospects and the overall fiscal solvency of the United States, than in terms of making sure a nanny state will cover the costs of their personal, private decisions. And goodness knows there aren’t any women who consider themselves a part of the conservative base — because any females who align themselves beneath such a banner clearly aren’t real women, or something. Facepalm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You what hurts women, fiscal collapse.

rob verdi on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

If you play it backwards, Angrea says “Ryan murders grandmas… and puppies”

faraway on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Sorry Michell but we need a real woman to comment on this and you don’t qualify.

bgibbs1000 on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Bishop

That is all.

BacaDog on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Dang it. Foiled again

BacaDog on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Julia agrees.

Electrongod on August 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I assume that when the liberals picked Mr. Obama over Ms. Clinton, that was a victory for women?

unclesmrgol on August 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

And Joe Biden was?

What has Obama done for suburban moms other than put them out of work and made sure the college graduating kids move back home because they can’t find a job to pay off their college debt?

albill on August 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Who’s the effeminate guy with the microphone?

AubieJon on August 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Sandra Fluke agrees.

Electrongod on August 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM

..ask me if I give a parakeet schit what this old crone thinks. Sorry, but I cannot take this skanky old broad seriously ever since I saw her getting ignored by Sarah Palin her book tour.

The War Planner on August 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM

And, exactly how would any “woman” who works for obama’s MSNBC know anything about real women?

Pork-Chop on August 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Rosanne Barrf agrees.

Electrongod on August 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Contessa Brewer wants to know if Andrea has a degree in Womens Studies.

BacaDog on August 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

This applies to both woman and men.
Sometimes a product sells better when the seller says it’s not all easy. A Vocabulary “Intensive” may get more interest than something sold as “easy as pie.” Same with the proposed budget reforms. It’s going to take a major commitment on the part of the people, we have to band together to see this through. It’s this, or a horrible alternative. Hard is sometimes good. It becomes a selling point!

“We chose to go to the moon and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” -John Kennedy, 1961

anotherJoe on August 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

#DebbieDoesntKnow andrea b!tchell.

VegasRick on August 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Just another cog in dear leader’s wheel….. cant talk about his record so its anything but

I think suburban moms think you’re an idiot Andrea

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I think Andrea Mitchell is next in line to replace Debbie Blabbermouth as the DNC Chair :-)…

jimver on August 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Andrea I don’t want to quibble with you saying that Barack Obama is a woman…..

Paul Ryan just knows how to keep them from having 700 billion stolen from them to buy voters.

harlekwin15 on August 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Sandra BurntHard agrees.

Electrongod on August 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Andrea Mitchell is not impressed.

unclesmrgol on August 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

MSNBC’s Mitchell: Ryan “not a pick for women”

…Andrea Mitchell is NOT a woman…like Chas Bono…there just happens to be some body parts that happen to be there.

KOOLAID2 on August 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

+1 baca

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Wooooopi GoldBerg agrees.

Electrongod on August 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Andrea you know what REALLY HURTS WOMEN?

You and your filth supporting the ABORTION of millions since 1973.

About 22 million ouchies for baby women. Some which would be almost 40 years old now.

PappyD61 on August 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Not so Rosie O’Donnell agrees.

Electrongod on August 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM

How would Andrea Mitchel know what actual women prefer?

Archivarix on August 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Yes, I know! Totally!!

Women totally hate good looking young men who are married with three lovely children. They hate that sh1t!!

First, the GOP wasn’t going to get militant NOW votes, anyway. Second, who listens to Andrea Mitchell about anything?? Folks who do weren’t going to vote GOP, anyway.

So…this moron has created a plus 0.29487 for us. Thanks, Andrea!

RedCrow on August 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You know, Andrea is absolutely right. This is a pick for EVERY AMERICAN. Romney made the choice in November transparently clear. In fact, many women are thrilled, including Lipstick Underground, who has this: ROMNEY/RYAN 2012 T-SHIRTS DESIGNED BY A WOMAN FOR WOMEN.

Mutnodjmet on August 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Anyone who takes this come dunt seriously is dumber than DWS

Rio Linda Refugee on August 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Taking heads, or in Mitchell’s case talking skulls…

Mr_Magoo on August 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Greenspan’s serious lack of judgement was not confined to his running of the monetary policy of the Feds.

bayview on August 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Oh yah, Andrea Mitchell is definitely who I think of when I think spokeswomen for suburban moms…like me, bcos you know my reproductive systems relationship with the government is the most critically important issue for all women!
GEEZ

rebekahhuang on August 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Look, sweetie, you spout those talking points. I saw a clearly even split with men and women in the audience.

SouthernGent on August 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Hey Girl.. This is a blatant pander to women, especially suburban soccer moms. For very, very superficial reasons. ;)

Illinidiva on August 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Is Fluke a Pick?

Lean Forward

spiritof61 on August 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Andrea Mitchell stopped being a woman a long time ago.

Pelosi/wasserman-schultz/mitchell

3 douchebags in search of a c—

gerrym51 on August 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

She is a bitter and old out of touch beltway shill for 0bama and has no idea what classy babes want or need…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Scum.

CW on August 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Tell me again what women really want, Andrea-who-sleeps-with-Allen-Greenspan.

hoosiermama on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

We’ve all seen who Andrea Mitchell married. She’s Alan Greenspan’s wife. They make SUCH a lovely and vivacious couple…don’t they, though?

Its clear that Andrea made her marital decision based on her own, shall we say, unique , tastes and priorities. (Although, I’ve heard it argued often that her decision was based on one of the oldest and most common considerations among certain types of women, and in that respect, there was nothing unique about it.)

I think anything she might have to say about politics needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

thatsafactjack on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Wasserman-Schultz/Fluke 2016
Bend Over

spiritof61 on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Democrats – and the Mainstream Media (but, then, I repeat myself) – see people as members of various groups; Republicans see people as individuals with minds of their own. That is the difference in a nutshell.

Logic on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Ryan: “Not a Pick for Women”…yes, unlike the divide-and-conquer societal disruption, class, gender and ethnic warfare of OBOZO and his lunatic-left d-cRAT socialist extremists, Romney/Ryan will be the leaders of ALL Americans uniformly and without discrimination or pandering to specific sub-groups.

TeaPartyNation on August 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I’ll just say ditto to this entire post.

gophergirl on August 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

If you play it backwards, Angrea says “Ryan murders grandmas… and puppies”

faraway on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Duh! Of course he kills them. What kind of Neanderthal do you think he is? No one eats puppies while they’re still alive.

Alabama Infidel on August 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

One wonders if Mitchell has even bothered to look at a map of the Wisconsin First Congressional District. Maybe she thinks it’s all cows, but as a matter of fact, it includes all those suburban housewives who live just south of Milwaukee.

radjah shelduck on August 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Love you whit and how you write, Erika. Keep up the awesome work!

Mr_Magoo on August 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I am woman. Hear me roar. I mean, vote. It is quieter, but more effective.

Javahog on August 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Alabama Infidel on August 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Obama did that, and still does. I heard it from an extremely credible source too.

Harbingeing on August 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

thatsafactjack on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Lol.
Yeah. If she married such an effeminate man…what does that say about her?

RedCrow on August 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Wasserman-Schultz/Fluke 2016

“Just sort of rolls off your tongue, doesn’t it? RR is not a wimmin-sounding ticket.”
Inside Andrea Mitchell’s Brain

spiritof61 on August 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM

MSNBC’s Mitchell: Ryan “not a pick for women dead people who everybody knows all vote democrat

VorDaj on August 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Let’s be honest here: Ryan is very handsome and women will love him.

Blake on August 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

If you play it backwards, Angrea says “Ryan murders grandmas… and puppies”

faraway on August 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I laughed so hard coffee came out of my nose!

JellyToast on August 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

By November 7th these folks will be walking around mumbling stupid talking points to themselves looking like the walking dead.

VegasRick on August 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Coming from the women who married Alan Greenspan.

banzaibob on August 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

The ugliness from my lib FB friends is equal to the hysterical pronouncements in the media…funny, one friend of mine, who I have known forever and is an otherwise really good guy, is just so unhinged…and he just can’t see how HE is projecting…he accuses repubs of being so ugly and hateful, but he is the one using the vilest language when he talks about R’s…they can pretend all they want that they’re gleeful about the Ryan pick, but I can see right through that…they’re scared.

ellifint on August 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Hard is sometimes good.

Is that you, mrs. socalcon?

socalcon on August 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Andrea thinks women will side with Sandra Fluke over the Hey Girl hunkiness of Paul Ryan? Good luck with that strategy.

msmveritas on August 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

thatsafactjack on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

So every night when she goes to bed, she feels old age creeping up on her. That helps to explain why she has such a sour disposition.

VorDaj on August 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Speaking as a suburban mom, I am THRILLED with Ryan as VP. Hopefully we can finally have adults in charge of the executive branch of our government! I care deeply about the fiscal future of our country, the future that my son – now a senior in high school – will be facing in a very short period of time.

Liberal females do NOT speak for me and never have. They were the nasty ones who called me a traitor to feminism because I had a degree in Physics but took time off from my career to raise my son. MY CHOICE!

I was raised by a strong-willed, brilliant, independent conservative woman who refused to owe anyone anything and who taught me to think for myself!

I can pay for my own fricking contraception. I’ve been paying my own fricking way through graduate school as a non-traditional middle-aged student. I am more than simply a womb with legs and I do NOT need any overreaching, paternalistic, statist government nanny to tell me what to do, believe or decide for MY life!

GO ROMNEY/RYAN!!

P.S. Andrea, you’re just jealous because Ryan is way smarter, definitely much sexier and evidently happier with his lovely, talented wife and loving family than your ‘dreamboat’ president or his doofus of a VP. HA!

Kirin on August 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

According to Bill O’Reilley and Bernie Goldberg Mitchell is a good reporter!

KBird on August 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

As outraged as Erika feels there is a serious gender skew in terms of political ideology in this country. Women are much more likely to believe that the state should assist in the care of the vulnerable, mostly the elderly and children. Paul Ryan’s hardline stance against all welfare programs, including things like children’s health insurance and of course his plan to give Social Security and Medicare to Wall Street (trustworthy!) will turn off more women than his good looks will attract.

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

This is not a pick for suburban moms, this is not a pick for women.”

These are your liberal betters, ladies. Tell you how to think, tell you how to vote. Ol’ Andrea has already processed all of the information for you and come to your decision. So, all you need to do is get on out there and vote for Obama. You don’t need to think, you just need to be concerned with your uterus.

how does that make you feel?

ted c on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

According to Bill O’Reilley and Bernie Goldberg Mitchell is a good reporter!

KBird on August 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Opinions vary

Rio Linda Refugee on August 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM

IIRC, one of Alan Greenspan’s parting gifts when he left the Fed was an older model of a federal reserve note printing press. The card read, “To put in the basement so you can keep Andrea happy no matter what.”

So apparently it’s not enough to shut her up.

platypus on August 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Maybe because they’re so clueless about what moves ordinary people that they have to pretend to be mindreaders, as in, “you’re a woman, so you couldn’t possibly be a Republican, unless you’re brainwashed”. This is the pinnacle of liberal thought, a detailed mindreading of millions of people they’ve never met.

Paul-Cincy on August 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

LOL!
You do know that HA is a conservative site, right?

RedCrow on August 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Thank God Andrea was too old to have children when she married Alan Greenspan. Imagine what their children would have looked like. On second thought, don’t.

bw222 on August 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Andrea had that script ready regardless of who got picked for the VP slot. The frog in her throat went on to add that Ryan is not the choice for flies. That honor still belongs to the Fly King, Barack Obama.

My fondest memory of Andrea was at the 2008 convention, trying her damnedest to put a damper on Sarah Palin’s awesome debut while getting bombarded with balloons. It was the funniest sight.

CitizenEgg on August 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Now Joe Biden – that was a pick for suburban women if there ever was one.

Curtiss on August 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

how does that make you feel?

Pretty Pi$$ed. I hope I don’t get banned for that. I was head over heals yesterday while tending to my childrend in my subruban home.

earlgrey133 on August 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

should be heels

earlgrey133 on August 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Does an elitist, dried-up, infertile, bitter woman really speak for all women.

I think not.

My wife and daughter are elated about the Ryan choice.

Time for Andrea to join Helen Thomas out in the pasture. They can chew their cud together and reminisce about the good old days.

Hill60 on August 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

For Andrea, a woman’s pick must support killing their babies.

StevC on August 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

According to Bill O’Reilley and Bernie Goldberg Mitchell is a good reporter!

KBird on August 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Opinions vary

Rio Linda Refugee on August 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Opinion is like some body part: everybody has one. In the case of O’Reilley, that body part is the whole being.

bayview on August 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You might find this hard to swallow but virtually all conservatives believe that the state should assist those groups. The operative word is assist, not coddle. Assist means to not let somebody die from lack of resources, not support them indefinitely.

Ryan wants people to be able to amass enough personal wealth so they can be their own welfare agency.

platypus on August 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

From the horse in dead Greenspan’s bed…another pronouncement…

Just relabel her a hack.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I’m going on the record and saying that the Romney/Ryan ticket is a triple threat. These men are smart, articulate, and attractive.

Clint Eastwood recently endorsed Romney. He mentioned, in the interview, that he was directing a film in Massachusetts when Romney was running for Governor. Eastwood said that when he first saw Romney he thought ‘He’s too handsome to be Governor…. maybe President some day.’

Its no wonder that the Democrats are hysterical. These men are confident, competent, and successful…and it SHOWS.

It human nature to be drawn to people who are smart, courageous, attractive, confident, competent, energetic, vital, and successful.

Because, as we’ve seen with Obama, Democrats tend to vote for slogans and cults of personality, rather than core elements like, ability, competence, and experience. Vetting a candidate is a difficult process that requires research and effort. Democrats tend to vote for soundbites and what they SEE.

THIS is why the ROMNEY/RYAN ticket frightens them into babbling gibberish… like Andrea Mitchell.

They fear that not only the GOP base, but Independents, and even disaffected Democrats, are going to turn out and vote for ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!

thatsafactjack on August 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I think the internal polls the Obama team have show a steady decline in female support. So the narrative in the MSM is bring up women in any situation available. Otherwise the Obama team wouldn’t be out there trying to organize the female vote again this election. Last weekend at a farmers market as I was pushing my grandson in a stroller while browsing the vendors, a woman came up to me with a slip of paper she was handing out asking if I was interested in a attending a meeting “Women for Obama”. I was so stunned at the request my only response was an emphatic “NO” which gave her a hint how I felt about Obama. Later I wished I had responded “Obama only perceives women as victims and I am not a victim of anything”. Like I said I was just caught too off guard by someone in my small Wisconsin town organzing women for Obama.

traditionalgal on August 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hard is sometimes good.

Is that you, mrs. socalcon?

socalcon on August 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

No – it’s Anthony Weiner, sweetheart!

honsy on August 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Blah, blah. Sheesh you’re a walking breathing talking point.

CW on August 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Women are much more likely to believe that the state should assist in the care of the vulnerable mostly the elderly and children.

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

They want to be more generous with other people’s money. That’s very noble.

mudskipper on August 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

As outraged as Erika feels there is a serious gender skew in terms of political ideology in this country. Women are much more likely to believe that the state should assist in the care of the vulnerable, mostly the elderly and children and college coeds who want to have lots of sex but not pay for it themselves.

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

steebo77 on August 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Tell me again what women really want, Andrea-who-sleeps-with-Allen-Greenspan.

hoosiermama on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

maybe that’s the problem!….(she has a baginaless brain) she probably hasn’t been laid since BJ Clinton was in office!

KOOLAID2 on August 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Blah, blah, blah, rattle, rattle, rattle, blah, blah, blah….

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

A shock for liblets: Women aren’t always the deciding factor, if liberals are going to assume all women vote as a bloc.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I love when Rush does his Andrea Mitchell impersonation, cracks me up every time haha i can’t stand her

sadsushi on August 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

thatsafactjack on August 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Greenspan is hung like an ox??!! Who knew??? Gahhhh.

bofh on August 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

As a student in elementary school this problematic VP pick on more than one occasion claimed that girls had cooties. A female former classmate of Ryan’s comes forward with startling new allegations about the Republican candidate for vice president…Details at 11.

spiritof61 on August 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

…Yawn!…Pharting talking points again!

KOOLAID2 on August 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Yeah sure, Andrea. Keep telling yourself that. I mean, what’s to like? Boyish good looks with an intelligent, fiscally sane mind? Yeah, suburban moms like myself hate that. Yuck.

Nikkia2112 on August 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Andrea Mitchell…….mouth of the Fluker Media.

Aka Greenspans ———-

PappyD61 on August 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

And you polled every individual woman in America to come to that conclusion, right? You must have Star Trek warp drive to get that done in 24 hours.

Personally, I would say that you are anti-matter. Things matter, and you don’t.

Gee–does that make me sound ‘angry’ again?

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I object to a scarecrow speaking on behalf of women.

kuro_shogun on August 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

If I were a woman I’d make sure to get to a rally early enough to stand up front, just so I could faint so the cameras panned would pan to me and I could get in “Ryan and Romney are our saviors!” or something like that. Then, on the way out of the rally, I’d sidle up to a camera and shout, “Romney and Ryan are going to make it so I can pay for my own gas!”

Goofy Leftists like Andrea Mitchell are so predictable.

Yo, Andrea, your wise, old, white, feminist, Democrat woman schtick, with the richness of your cloistered media experiences, is not persuasive any more. Look behind you at who is attending; it’s a fact that a lot of women are there. The ethical thing to do is to quit mixing your closed-minded opinions with the news.

Dusty on August 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Andrea who? Oh, you mean Andrea the Wawa tape manipulator? I’m a woman and I couldn’t care less what that Wawa hack has to say about anything.

scalleywag on August 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM