MSNBC’s Mitchell: Ryan “not a pick for women”

posted at 3:31 pm on August 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Just after Paul Ryan made his running-mate debut in front of the USS Wisconsin on Saturday, Andrea Mitchell reported back to MSNBC — and decreed that Romney’s selection means that “this is a base election. This is not a pick for suburban moms, this is not a pick for women.” …What the what?

In the name of all that is holy — stop presuming to speak for me. Please, please, please, liberal women, quit boxing me in to your stupid self-stereotypes. It never fails to mystify me as to why women could possibly be so eager to reduce the scope of their interests to such small-minded identifications. Oh, that’s right — most of them don’t, it’s just a stupid political ploy by the Left to make it seem like there’s no logical way that half of the population could group themselves with the Republican party.

According to progressives these days, it appears that the depth of my political sentience amounts to assuring free contraception and guaranteeing my right to get an abortion (because, duh, ‘we don’t want the government in our bedrooms’ and whatever). I suppose there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that “suburban moms” could be more concerned with their children’s future in terms of their employment and wealth prospects and the overall fiscal solvency of the United States, than in terms of making sure a nanny state will cover the costs of their personal, private decisions. And goodness knows there aren’t any women who consider themselves a part of the conservative base — because any females who align themselves beneath such a banner clearly aren’t real women, or something. Facepalm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

When conservatives talk about “government waste” they are talking specifically about programs that serve the elderly and children.

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM
____

Have you been studying with Maya Angelou?

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM
____

libfreeordie on August 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Its pretty obvious Your Momma Loves Me is a parody of a liberal…

libfreeordie on July 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

rogerb on July 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

rogerb on August 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I’m okay if you don’t like me. As for personal feelings, I’m not the one who brought them up; I never had chance to meet you before tonight, under better circumstances.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Oh, I’ve been around for longer that you…and longer than AnninCa… ;)

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You are a basturd liberal blasting machine. You’re so basturdly, you even disdain your own side. Lol.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I make no bones or apologies: I despise liberals and their entire philosophy. And I can’t truly call it a philosophy. The term reminds me of ancient Greeks who sat in the public square of Athens, having civilized discussions among educated men.

Liberalism is a mindset, retrograde to a preschool sandbox.

Liberals will show us no mercy, so why should I show anything better to them? When liberals finally choose to be civilized, maybe I’ll reciprocate.

If liblets continue to be infantile, then I’ll treat them as infants.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Oh, I’ve been around for longer that you…and longer than AnninCa… ;)

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I recall not liking her very much, and she didn’t like me at all. Well, at least she has an ally in you, Lady. Good for you both!

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Oh, I’ve been around for longer that you…and longer than AnninCa… ;)

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I imagine you both can team up one day and try ripping me to shreds. Fun for all! *L*

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Oh, I’ve been around for longer that you…and longer than AnninCa… ;)

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I think she’s trying to convey that she’s old, Liam.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

You are really kind of all kinds of dumb aren’t you. Ann was my nemesis and I quite remember how you courted her…

And I ain’t the only one who remembers you courting her…

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I think she’s trying to convey that she’s old, Liam.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Well, so much for age and wisdom going hand in hand.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I think she’s trying to convey that she’s old, Liam.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I am stating that I have been here at HA longer than Liam or his heartthrob Ann…how long have you been here, newbie?

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I think she’s trying to convey that she’s old, Liam.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Oh, I am a newbie. Happy to be here.
But, I have been here long enough to know Liam makes more sense than you do.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

But, I have been here long enough to know Liam makes more sense than you do.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

How so?

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

And I ain’t the only one who remembers you courting her…

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Courting? Someone in CA, when I’m 3000 miles away trying to court a liberal who disliked me? A liberal?

Call me dumb all you like and dislike me as you said you do. I don’t recall AnninCA very well, except for battles against her in the vaguest of recollection. Seems she’s more important to you than she is remembered to me.

If you want to hold a grudge, that’s all your problem and not mine. You can consider me an enemy for your own heart and head if that suits you. I really don’t mind either way.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Oh, I’ve been around for longer that you…and longer than AnninCa… ;)

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You’ve been around longer than a lot of people.

Capitalist Hog on August 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Heartthrob? I love almost no one except for those who I choose to love. What do you think makes me so mean, which you also dislike about mean ol’ me?

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

You’ve been around longer than a lot of people.

Capitalist Hog on August 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You’re really kinda new here, aren’t ya?

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I really bug the living daylights out of you, don’t I? You have been carrying some sort of grudge against me for years, when I don’t even know you.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I actually don’t think you are mean, only misguided. If I thought you mean, I wouldn’t have given you a H/T.

And we both know you sniffed all after Ann, and so do many here. Your intentions to flip her were admirable, but most misguided.

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

But, I have been here long enough to know Liam makes more sense than you do.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

How so?

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

He’s posting conservative points.
You’re acting like a liberal.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Oh, I’ve been around for longer that you…and longer than AnninCa… ;)

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You’ve been around longer than a lot of people.

Capitalist Hog on August 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Longer than Moses or Noah?
I remember reading anninca’s posts. This must be her mom.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Sniffed? AnninCA? All I recall is combat against her–just another common liblet to me to be destroyed. But in this case, between you and me, you’re making it personal.

Sorry, but I’m not going to share that view with you.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

He’s posting conservative points.
You’re acting like a liberal.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

*sigh*

Please quote my liberal posts….

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I don’t know you, Lady. But you recall me, and I guess that would be nice if you didn’t hold resentments against me for the years that you have.

Well, it’s said that a man never recalls an argument and a woman never forgets the details.

Looks like you’re stuck there, Lady. Or maybe you can just claim your win, since I don’t much remember all you keep bringing up. If it was all a worthy matter for me, I’d be all-knowing and -aware of what you wrote.

You win, okay?

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Neither do 6 billion other people. What’s your excuse?

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I consider you quite the asshat….

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Neither do 6 billion other people. What’s your excuse?

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I consider you an @zzh@t…

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I got a compliment from someone who dislikes me, when I don’t recall ever being in combat against her. A rare thing, to be sure.

And a good mention and measure of the Lady.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Don’t think it doesn’t pain me, but I give credit where credit is due.

I expect the same from you in the future.

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Unwarranted attack on Liam
And, spreading the credit around. Sounds socialist.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM

He’s posting conservative points.
You’re acting like a liberal.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

*sigh*

Please quote my liberal posts….

ladyingray on August 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Funny, your copied quotes ended up in moderation.
Oh well, Liam forgives you.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Oh well, Liam forgives you.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

No, he doesn’t. ~wry grin~

The Lady takes personal umbrage against me, seemingly going back years.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

wth?

hawkdriver on August 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Aw, poor wittle Andwea has her panties in a twist. Poor wittle girl. She doesn’t understand that WE’RE BROKE. But then, how can we expect her to? She’s married to Greenspan.

idalily on August 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I remember the last time somebody took my umbrage and after my applying a quick series of drop kicks, elbow drops and sleeper holds they swore they’d never take it again.

viking01 on August 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Well, I think he’s cute.

J.E. Dyer on August 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM

The “war on Women” has been waged by Democrats since the 1960′s. “They” said women were equal to men in all respects; that women didn’t need men to help raise children; that keeping people on welfare so they would be denied the opportunity to improve themselves (see, if you’re on welfare and you go to work – and earn above a certain threshold, all welfare is cut – there needs to be an interim step to move out but that’s for another day) – and their work is equal to men’s work. Everything on the left is about control.

Women who fall for this bunk think all of the rest of us are as gullible as they are. Remember “Julia?” The government took care of her all through her life.

What so many of these women do not understand, because they went into fire-free jobs or lefty politics, is that people have to EARN a living. When you spend your working career in the public sector, where it’s almost impossible to lose your job, you never learn what it takes to really succeed b/c you’re safe.

I’ve worked both public and private sector jobs. Public sector jobs are safer by a long shot (unless you’re a Republican teacher – then you need to keep your mouth shut).

It just amazes me that so many of these women buy into the “take care of me” mindset – they never really wanted to be on their own and they think those of us who THINK agree with them. Ostriches just never pull their heads out of the sand.

MN J on August 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM

It’s amazing to me that Andrea Mitchell has the gall to still show her face after she got PASTED by John Sununu on her own turf.

In Mr. Sununu’s words: “You’re struggling Andrea, you’re struggling.”

OneVision on August 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

A frosty melena shake to you, Madame.

Mason on August 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM

OneVision on August 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

In the eyes of every liberal, no liberal could possibly ever be wrong.

Liam on August 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Mitchell should stick to picking her nose with a toothpick.

Sherman1864 on August 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Well she’s right.

Women hate budgets, women hate avoiding wasteful spending; and women especially hate the idea that their kids might have a functional economy if someone gets spending under control.

Women love massive spending programs that will destroy the economy for their kids… that is what women want.

And Ryan won’t help that goal… so he’s not a pick for women.

What? Not what she meant? How so?

gekkobear on August 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

That’s code language for: he is pro-life.
So……..this offers a clear choice for Americans.

Democrat choice: more spending, higher taxes, more top-down government, abortion

Republican choice: less spending, lower taxes, more free enterprise, pro-life

Republicans like their odds.

Mark7788 on August 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM

….yeah – Or Whores…..

Ryan is CLEARLY not a pick for WHORES……..

…..Wonder why Mitchell is so obsessed with that?

williamg on August 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Ask any woman “what’s the FIRST thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘choice’ ?”
Can be quite telling.

pambi on August 13, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I’m not sure Andrea Mitchell is a ‘real’ woman…

zoyclem on August 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM

It would only be news if Andrea Mitchell had anything good to say about the Republican ticket.

Nomas on August 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I must have missed the election where the gals got together and decided to make this vile woman their appointed spokesperson.

Happy Nomad on August 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Reading between the lines, what Mitchell is saying is (but she doesn’t know it): Ryan is not a pick for men who have benefited over the decades from responsibility-free sex since Roe. Rough translation. A segment of women have been convinced that abortion is some kind of political sacrament and killing a preborn child is an honorable thing to do, while there is nothing “feminine” about abortion. This Mitchell perpetuates unconsciously, and if nothing else she is eminently qualified to opine on the non-feminine aspects of the technically female.

curved space on August 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM

She’s a troll. Do not feed the troll.

FineasFinn on August 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Great post, Erika.

Signed,
Woman & Suburban Mom

Violina23 on August 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Some day someone may be able to explain exactly what a “pick for women” means. Like gays, blacks, Hispanics and yes, white men, women have exactly the same constitutional rights.

I think what Andrea is really saying is that Ryan is not a pick for morons.

cajunpatriot on August 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Translation (?): Women do not want to balance the budget.

Axeman on August 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM

You can lump this woman in with DWS.
Truly vile creatures….

…oh, and Andrea Mitchell, NBC News, Washiiiinnnggton!

looks like her face has been resting under a steaming camel
pie for the last three years.

ToddPA on August 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This is not a pick for suburban moms

Yes because suburban Moms hate clean-cut earnest family men.

Hey if you want to talk cliches…

CorporatePiggy on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Liberalism is a mindset, retrograde to a preschool sandbox.

If liblets continue to be infantile, then I’ll treat them as infants.

Liam on August 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I think it’s a collection of petty insecurities that block the critical thinking process – not a philosophy, because a philosophy has to pass certain tests of logical deduction. What they have is just a whim.

michaelthomas on August 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Yet, like sheep, most will follow what is told of them…the fact is, conservative women don’t fight for their beliefs.
They are secure with their faith and policies, and that is the problem. Their security, their confidence, ends up not giving them the reason to fight. The liberals are scratching and clawing to become relevant. It’s the classic overachiever, the person who is behind in the race running harder to overtake the one in front.

Conservative women need to become bolder, to stand taller, and not just rely on the fact that they are the majority, that they are right.

While standing strong on the groundwork of conservative ideals, the weasels of the left are tunneling and undermining the ground beneath them.

Liberal journalist needs to be taken to task…demand to be heard, demand to have a say, choose your “attack dogs” and let them loose…and you can start with Liz Cheney.

right2bright on August 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Andrea, you are struggling again.

notasheeple on August 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yes because suburban Moms hate clean-cut earnest family men.

CorporatePiggy on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

The data shows that while women will say they want a GOOD boy as a mate, the majority will choose the BAD boy more times than not. Just saying.

Common sense says we can appeal to women based on Erika’s meme about the future for their children. We’ll have to see whether R&R are smart enough to push and re-push that message.

The same message seems logical with those 55 and over. While R&R won’t touch their entitlements, can R&R appeal to them that the future of SS & Medicare (not to mention the country itself) for their children/grandchildren depends upon restructuring the programs. Push and re-push that message.

Carnac on August 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yes because suburban Moms hate clean-cut earnest family men.

Hey if you want to talk cliches…

CorporatePiggy on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I agree with your sarcasm. In fact, this is exactly what suburban moms like – a good looking, smart guy. And I’m not gay (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

michaelthomas on August 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

One thing you missed….we’re talking about suburban moms, not any woman off the street.

michaelthomas on August 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Andrea & Company are obsessed with our uteruses. Because that’s all we are to them: walking, talking uteruses.

Andrea & Company disgust me.

(Great post, Erika.)

Grace_is_sufficient on August 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Carnac on August 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

michaelthomas on August 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

And yes.

CorporatePiggy on August 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I may not put this well, but I find it more than a little ironic that the female left (along with their male counterparts) are doing to women what the NOW gang complain men have done to women for millenia: reduce them to their reproductive organs and va-jay-jays.

Newsflash leftist women: you don’t speak for me and don’t speak for the women in my family. My mother and grandmother were and are strong, independent women and raised me to be the same and think for myself. That is true liberation. Burning one’s bra and having someone cover one’s primal desires isn’t liberation; it’s just another form of subservience.

There are more important things to concern me than whether or not I can have unprotected sex at whim or whether someone will protect me from that poor choice by paying for my contraception. Get the hell over yourselves lefties. Your concerns are not mine.

totherightofthem on August 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The culmination of feminism in the 21st century: Begging powerful men to force people to provide them with free contraceptives.

Transpo on August 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Well, you put it better than I. Nicely done.

totherightofthem on August 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM

HA!

I KNOW, RIGHT?

This came from none other than ANDREA MITCHELL.

Can you grasp the SERIOUS IRONY of Andrea Mitchell presuming to speak for SUBURBAN MOMS?

I so wish I’d been sitting there with her when she said it, because I would have laughed in her face.

She’s an elitist Manhattan-ite married to Alan Greenspan, ferchrissakes.

These people just DEFY REASON.

They are beyond belief. They are insane.

mountainaires on August 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Andrea Mitchell is rarely right…but this time she is!

Pragmatic on August 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Andrea Mitchell is rarely right…but this time she is!

Pragmatic on August 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Pragmatic liberal is an oxymoron.

cajunpatriot on August 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Angrier Mitchell – ha! A twice-married urban woman with no children presumes to know what suburban mothers want/need.

Brilliant.

CycloneCDB on August 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Mitchell is an expert at identifying appealing men. She proved that when she married sexy stud Alan Greenspan.

Hermeticus on August 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I thought she was dead or something, but now I’m not so sure…

claudius on August 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

When was the last time she balanced a checkbook or filled a gas tank. Isn’t that the measurement of a woman they gave Ann Romney.

Wagthatdog on August 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Liberal Womb Nazis are the only mammal on the planet that can smile oh so pleasantly while discussing how to completely annihilate a living baby intrauterine. Monsters….that kill, they also don’t care if that fetus is male or female which makes them woman abusers.

I am a woman and I think the Woman’s Liberation Army sold their souls to the evil masters of the democrat party ions ago….. some kind of a pact. We real and independently free and conservative woman do not feel that the only power we have is through our collective vaginas. Weak and stupid females the democrats are.

ActinUpinTexas on August 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I hate people who think we should do as they say because they are media stars like Andrea Mitchell, when people like her tell me what to do, I check and see if it is possible to do the opposite.

I think she is extremely unattractive too. Like an old crone who knows better than you and thinks she is better than she is. Leave me alone, Old Crone.

Fleuries on August 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Maybe now, there won’t be anymore Obama girl videos about how hunky somebody is when he’s wearing mom jeans or ridng a girl’s bicycle.

Vidoes of Paul Ryan working out or bow hunting would put Obama to shame.

C’mon, Andrea. Admit that the liberal idea of a man is whipped and henpecked. Oh, and that women aren’t feminine unless they pretend that they’re not women.

Kyle_Reese on August 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM