How the Romney campaign kept their veepstakes secrets

posted at 6:31 pm on August 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Since we’ve all been gnashing our teeth speculatin’ about what’s been going on behind the curtain of Romney’s vice-presidential vetting process for months, here’s a fun look into how things went down during the eventual selection of Paul Ryan, via NBC. Just ’cause, heck, everybody likes a little political intrigue now and then (when it’s the the good kind of intrigue and not, oh, I don’t know — say, political donors being granted inside access to the White House to rent-seek on behalf of their green-energy schemes. Just as a random example. Cough.):

Myers told reporters she established a system, approved by Romney, to quietly vet candidates after asking if they were interested in the job. A team of lawyers worked with Myers in a secure room of the campaign’s Boston headquarters. No copies were made of any documents, and everything was locked in a safe when the team left at night. No documents were allowed out of the room. …

By August, reporters had begun to whittle down the short list of possible candidates and to keep a close eye on the top contenders. Despite this, on Aug. 5, Ryan quietly slipped out of his home and, dressed casually and wearing a hat and sunglasses to obscure his appearance, drove to Chicago, where he boarded a flight to Hartford, Conn. …

Keeping the Romney/Ryan pairing a secret for the next week proved to be an Olympian challenge. A boomlet of support for the Ryan candidacy drew increased scrutiny, and reporters such as NBC’s Alex Moe were staking out Ryan’s home, chatting with the candidate and his family and keeping tabs on their movement, lest they slip away again undetected. …

Ryan returned home in the early afternoon and went inside through the back as he was locked out of his side door, telling reporters who stood watching on the sidewalk he must have forgotten his keys. That would be the last time anyone saw the congressman in Janesville, because sometime after 3 p.m., he exited his home into the back yard (where reporters couldn’t see) and went into the woods. …

Waiting a couple of hundred yards on the other side: Speth, who took Ryan and his family to an airport in neighboring Illinois, where a private plane would whisk them to Virginia.

And so on and so forth. I must confess, I kind of get a kick out of the fact that thwarting the full and formidable force of the American political media can still rely on something so simple and old-school as sneaking off through the woods.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What did mitt say to the heckler

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He was respectful. Something along the lines of “Young man, I appreciate your passion. This is not the time or the place to disrupt this event.” Then somehow turned a hit on Obama. Not bad.

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Romney/Ryan versus Dumb/Dumber

R2D2

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Could go viral.

Curtiss on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

What did mitt say to the heckler

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Nothing. He just kept speaking strongly. Talked right over him.

Mitt handled it well.

Philly on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Michelle: “What’s this flag that Mitt speaks of”

faraway on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

What did mitt say to the heckler

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM

cmsinaz:In short-form,Mind your manners!!:)

canopfor on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

By the way, this is a great speech by Mitt. He even mentioned “Shiny city on the hill.”

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The kids gets the A, not the bus driver. Classic.

Zaggs on August 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

That was a good speech.

bayview on August 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Could go viral.

Curtiss on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Thanks, I hope so. C_F was responsible for the Zephania Claude Demetrius Jake Huntsman meme. I am C_F, so it would be so cool to have two in a lifetime.

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Oh sorry – Mitt did tell the heckler to be respectful, but he just kept on speaking. He told the heckler that his campaign is not about that kind of behavior. Not the time or place.

Philly on August 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

He even mentioned “Shiny city on the hill.”

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I certainly hope that he said “shining” and not ‘shiny’.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Thanks everyone

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

New aesthetic, Cozmo
I think during the primaries most of us, except bluegill, was against Romney. We have, almost, all pulled together to rid this country of someone who is either trying to end the USA or is dumb as a bag of hammers.
I don’t want to demean any hammers if their reading this……….

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I certainly hope that he said “shining” and not ‘shiny’.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 12, 2012 at 8:07PM

Yes, of course. My mistake, not Mitt’s.

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Some more images and info!

Romney/Ryan event in Wisconsin draws a large crowd, traffic jam
Posted at 6:21 pm on August 12, 2012

canopfor on August 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I don’t think casual observers are going to realize the dearth of leadership we’ve had until they start hearing Romney/Ryan speaking. The difference is going to appear stark.

hoosiermama on August 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Thanks everyone

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

cmsinaz:Anytime CMS:)

canopfor on August 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I am ashamed to say that I even resorted to calling Mitt evil in arguments with my brother in law. There was one debate, can’t remember which one it was, but I connected with Mitt. It was like the moment of clarity that alcoholics experience. I just realized that he was a good man. He may change his positions often, but who is to say that he was not experiencing moments of clarity when he changed those. He won me over then. When he chose Paul Ryan instead of choosing Tim Pawlenty, it was icing on the cake. He chose a superstar of politics; someone a generation younger with charisma and smarts. Someone who could quite possible up stage him. Yet, he still chose him. Proved to me that Mitt is true. This election is not about Mitt Romney’s ego. That, my friend, is true leadership. Surround yourself with the smartest people in the room, rather then pretending to be the smartest person in the room. Hello, President McMomJeansSandTrap.

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

:) Canopfor

cmsinaz on August 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I really hope that a lot of people had watched this rally. Both Ryan and Romney were great. The story about thetattered flag from the World Trade Center being brought into the opening ceremony of the 2002 Olympics was very moving.

The contrast of the men cannot be more clear when Romney/Ryan are compared to Barry/Biden. Keep up the fight. Let’s get it done!!!

bayview on August 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

How the Romney campaign kept their veepstakes secrets

The same way you keep ANY secret in this country. You don’t tell the White House.

Glenn Jericho on August 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

New aesthetic
+ 100,000
I agree, Mitt may be the next Reagan! !!!!!! I can’t believe I said that, but I really feel it today……..

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

If I wasn’t broker than an Obama promise I would join you with a snort… ;)

SWalker on August 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

..you’re just down the road from me. We oughta head to some bar in San Clemente or Oceanside with WiFi and do a QOTD one evening in style!

:-D

The War Planner on August 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

..hey, angrymike, thanks for the blog visit the other day. I was looking to return the favor but couldn’t find the link. Pass it along when you get a chance!

The War Planner on August 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I certainly hope that he said “shining” and not ‘shiny’.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 12, 2012 at 8:07PM

Yes, of course. My mistake, not Mitt’s.

the new aesthetic on August 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

…well!…we’ve gotten nothing but shiny things from the government media day after day…so who can blame you!

KOOLAID2 on August 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM

My pleasant surprises in Mitt Romney keep coming every day.

This is a pleasure I haven’t experienced in DECADES!

I can’t wait for November!

golfmann on August 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

SWalker on August 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

:-D

The War Planner on August 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Well if I don’t find a job and get back to work here pretty soon I won’t be doing anything remotely resembling going anywhere… :(

SWalker on August 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I don’t want to demean any hammers if their reading this……….

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

An insult to hammers everywhere.

chewmeister on August 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Get a grip. There will never be another Reagan.

chewmeister on August 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Reminds you of the Von Trapp family.

djaymick on August 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Romney/Ryan 2012
We Won’t Get Fooled Again

socalcon on August 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I want a bumper sticker.

Philly on August 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Try this on for size

Wolfmoon on August 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

If I wasn’t broker than an Obama promise I would join you with a snort… ;)

SWalker on August 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

:-D

The War Planner on August 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I’m in Lake Fores and will meet you

koaiko on August 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Get a grip. There will never be another Reagan.

chewmeister on August 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Even if we had another one, good luck getting him elected. The single-issue wingnuts ALONE would vilify the man almost to Ron Paul levels.

MelonCollie on August 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

This was an example of how the media doesn’t have the best priorities. They went out of their way to break a story that everyone knew was going to get announced soon. The likeliest scenarios under which the story would be broken would occur less than a day before the announcement, such as if Secret Service agents were seen visiting the guy’s house, or the campaign plane got repainted. In the process, they wasted time and resources, and ensured that a presidential candidate would have to do the same.

Mister Mets on August 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM

angrymike on August 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Get a grip. There will never be another Reagan.

chewmeister on August 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I will have to agree with you there. Some may come close but no one can fill those shoes.

logicman_1998 on August 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM