Vice President Paul Ryan: Could free enterprise get its groove back?

posted at 11:01 am on August 11, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I’ve made no secret out of the fact that I’ve long been rooting for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal for Mitt Romney’s running mate selection, but when I went to check my e-mail and the Twitters one last time before hittin’ the hay last night and saw the Paul Ryan news, I had about a twelve-second rush of confused and conflicting emotions before deciding that, actually… this is kind of awesome.

I was really afraid there for a while that Romney would go with Rob Portman or Tim Pawlenty — as competent as either of them might be, I’m sorry, but I confess that I side with the “vanilla”-detractors on that one. They’d just be so boring. And while a lot of the speculators were speculatin’ that Paul Ryan’s fiscal reform and budget proposals will be a liability because of the way the Left will hammer and distort them, I don’t happen to see it that way. Paul Ryan is one of the few politicians who has dared to suggest comprehensive, viable solutions to our dramatically unsustainable national spending habits. That is a good thing, and if we can frame it simply and correctly (ay, there’s the rub!), I think people will respond in the positive.

I’ve heard quite a few fellow conservatives express their ire that his plans don’t go far enough, and in a more perfect and ideal world, I’d wholeheartedly agree with them — but buck up, friends. It’s important to stand tall for your principles, but this isn’t a more perfect and ideal world. Huge, sweeping, and sudden changes are just not part of the infrastructure of our two-party republic. Sometimes you’ve gotta’ do things by halves to work toward a whole — it’s a heck of a lot better than doing nothing.

Our national debt, fueled by our rapacious entitlement programs, is perhaps the most utterly predictable, self-inflicted, and calamitously far-reaching problem in modern history. Honestly, it’s so painfully laughable when people accuse free enterprise of fueling human greed, when big government is so clearly what allows the negative aspects of greed to flourish. If you haven’t picked up on this yet (tee hee), freedom and free markets are pretty much my political guiding lights: Their penetrating power to solve all manner of material ills, without coercion or affectation, is unparalleled. Whatever their other political faults may be, I think Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan truly understand and respect free markets. While Mitt sometimes stumbles on communicating that message (“corporations are people” and “I like firing people” = essentially true, but unfortunately not the most appealing way to say it), I’ve only ever heard clarifying and effective free-market testaments from Paul Ryan so far.

Along with my Townhall buddy Guy Benson, I had the opportunity to sit down for a lengthy interview with Paul Ryan in the Capitol offices last summer. I usually approach all politicians’ sincerity with extreme skepticism, but I was amazed at how friendly, easygoing, earnest, polite, casual, and engaging Ryan was. Democrats are going to have their work cut out for them trying to make him look like a bad guy, because I really believe people are going to naturally like him. Oh, did I mention brilliant? Because the man was passionately spouting off about complex fiscal and tax scenarios like they were as simple as the ABCs.

Every time I’ve written about Paul Ryan since then, I’ve referred to him as a hard-hitting fiscal guru — and more than anything, that’s what America needs right now. His common sense and doggedness are invaluable, and I’m hoping this will be a positive and definitive step in moving America away from intellectually cheap populism and instead making free enterprise cool again. Let’s do this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I can see Obama letting a terrorist attack happen to help his foreign policy cred. Suddenly terrorism is attached to the economy and you have two guys without ANY foreign policy experience.

melle1228 on August 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Desperate people do desperate things, but I don’t think O’bama would try anything quite that desperate.

More probable would be to produce an imminent terror attack threat out of thin air, call it “credible and serious”, and use that threat as an excuse to “temporarily suspend” the election in November.

Let’s wait and see what happens. If O’bama is losing to Romney in early October by 7 points, all bets are off the table.

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

harlekwin15 are you really Carol Herman?

sandspur on August 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Oh, no, not her! lol

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Or it would take too much time away from his golfing schedule. :)

melle1228 on August 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

LOL! Let’s leave it there; I don’t want to to fight. Obama is the one that we’ve got to beat.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Perty bad when Ed Rollins says you have no chance really.
————————————

No Romney is becoming a joke.

Major screw ups but he never fires anyone.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I thought the anti-Romney narrative was he just wuuves firing people…

and Ed Rollins?…..

the guy hasn’t been relevant since the 80′s and has been consistently wrong since, his claim to fame is being the outlier.. the guy who goes against popular opinion.. once in a while he’ll be the broken clock and get the time right, but his batting average sucks.. and didn’t he end up being an embarrassment to Bachman?… picking fights for now reason?

If Rollins is your best face opinion.. You ought to fold, it’s like having a 8 of clubs high card hand.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Serious thought experiment: Can you think of a single greybeard in the Dem party that would stand against such a ploy? There are a couple dozen Republicans that would never allow a Republican to pull such a stunt. But I’m hard-pressed to think of a single liberal. I guess maybe Lieberman would do the right thing, but who else would join him?

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

That is the ultimate nightmare scenerio.. I figure, if he’s that evil.. and lagging to where he doesn’t think ACORN can steal it.. that is when he’d try such a thing.. is he that vile?.. I’m.. not sure.. but if any US politician were to ever pull a Hugo Chavez.. it would be him..

would the country stand for it?

and would he have the stones to use troops to suppress a protest?

and would the field officer obey such an order?

I pray to God we never find out… a civil war isn’t something we need.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM

He’s pretty awful, but that’s a bit of a stretch. Frankly, I don’t think that he has the management ability to pull it off :)

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

One call to his pals in the Muslim Brotherhood is all it would take.

honsy on August 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

And the Irish vote spans every state of the Union. Let’s not forget that!

honsy on August 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I’m coming around to this.

By picking Ryan, Romney is doubling down on the economy, and committing to reform. This is a good thing.

And Ryan, like Romney, is such a decent, clean-cut, likeable guy that it is going to be very difficult for the left to demonize the ticket, although they will try very hard.

Ryan is very much a protege pick. In eight years, at age 50, Ryan will be ready to take over. If he and Mitt can save the country and return us to prosperity, a Ryan presidency will be a given.

Ryan, like Romney, is weak on foreign policy. But that weakness, should Obama wish to criticize it, will force him to run as a hawk, which is going to be really funny.

Ryan knows his way around Congress, and how to pass legislation. This is important.

Ryan is conservative enough to placate a considerable portion of the base, without scaring off moderates. The media and the left (or do I contradict myself) will try to “Palinize” Ryan, but will have a much harder time doing so.

Speaking of Palin. This VP business has dominated the news cycle, but it is ultimately meh. The choice of Ryan is anticlimactic, and the timing of the announcement shows me that Romney is not putting too much stock in it. The big news will be when Romney and Palin reach an accomodation. That should be really interesting.

Mr. Arkadin on August 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

would the country stand for it?

and would he have the stones to use troops to suppress a protest?

and would the field officer obey such an order?

I pray to God we never find out… a civil war isn’t something we need.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Frankly, I don’t think that he has the guts to try it. There too many controls in place on the presidency. However, if anybody ever did try it, it would irreparably change the character of this nation. Such a move, particularly if it was necessary to use violence to undo it, would turn us into an honest to goodness banana republic.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

One call to his pals in the Muslim Brotherhood is all it would take.

honsy on August 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It would take a good bit more than that, actually.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

According to foxnews, Ryan is still on the congressional ballot. I am glad in case the unthinkable happens and Obama pulls out a win somehow.

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

They wouldn’t have had time to do anything about that yet.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

There have always been principled republicans who said no to a president of our party when they believed him wrong…

I can’t ever remember a democrat ever doing the same.. the only time I can think of a democrat going full tilt against their president, was Teddy running against Carter… but that, was more a personal power play, and even then, it was from the left.. and it’s hard to think it principled when he stood to gain personally from it.

But a democrat tell their president.. no.. that’s illegal?

not in my lifetime.

They are lemmings by nature… or they simply hate us more.. take your pick.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

No but he has called Mitt one in effect for saying that he’s have his own plan instead of the Ryan plan, as if the Romney plan won’t be affected by Veep pick Ryan

thebrokenrattle on August 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

A critical skill in leadership is the ability to delegate to people who are more equipped for a given situation.

For instance it was a far better idea to send in Team 6 to take down OBL than say, a bunch of community organizers.

I would have had ‘chelle on standby though. The man would have topped himself if you dropped her into the same room nekkid.

CorporatePiggy on August 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Am I an awful human being for thinking that sending a bunch of community organizers in to take out bin Laden would have been really kind of funny funny? They would show up with their stupid signs and slogans facing men with automatic weapons and the will to use them, and a very predictable outcome…

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

You are not paying attention.

Sure Obama would make the attack real. We will not be fooled by a false attack that does not happen. Obama has plenty of friends in the Muslim Brotherhood who live to attack us. All he need to is give the word they will attack. After all he is their leader not ours.

Obama does not wear his watch or ring during Ramadan and holds Ramadan feast in the White House. Obama is the President of the Muslims in America. The rest of us are just insignificant infidels.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

CorporatePiggy on August 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM

OK… I’ll play..—-

Two words….

Geneva Convention…

That’s a one way ticket to a war crimes trial if ever I saw one. But the pay per view revenue should pay for his defense.. libs love a good cat fight.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

So is this attitude gonna carry over if the Rs get elected?

Can’t question any decision made by Republicans?

melle1228 on August 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yes. This is why the “feet to the fire” people are dreaming. They’ll just be called traitors and extremists, and purged from the party.

Doomberg on August 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Geneva Convention…

OK, definitely a fair point.

CorporatePiggy on August 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

You are not paying attention.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

They’ve been having Ramadan dinners at the WH since the Clinton Administration.

What proof do you have that the MB takes their orders from Obama?

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

After all he is their leader not ours.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

now you’re crossing into tinfoil hat territory.. It’s one thing to think he might try and manipulate the law to play dictator.. quite another to believe he’s really the secret Caliph put in place by the brotherhood…

The American communists have had far more influence in his lfe than his childhood travels in muslim lands have.. and what good muslim does weed and coke? I don’t think he favors any religion, he just uses them to peddle himself to the audience in front of him..

and yes.. I too pay attention..

this is taking a what if scenario into aliens ate my brain turf.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Very few Republicans are hot on Romney.

Most say we will need to hold his feet to the fire.

That is not actually much of an endorsement.

Sometimes they are outright mad at Romney. Over Romney twisting arms to give Obama an easier time of forcing his nominees on us made Levine hopping mad. Now Romney Care would have come to the rescue actually had calls to stop contributing to Romney. That you were an idiot if you did so. Many Republicans were and still are hopping mad over that Saul still works for Romney. But she is not the problem Romney is. Romney would never get rid of Romney Care or Obama Care. They are the same. Romney has no problem with Romney Care as currently implemented. He is not calling his Republican friends in Mass to overturn it though do not know he has any real Republican friends in Mass.

It is never good when the 2016 candidates are auditioning before the 2012 election. Did I make that up. No. Did it happen in 2008 too. Yes it did but not in 2000.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Doomberg on August 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Oh come on.. you really think a bit of hyperbole on a political blog in a moment of heated passion… translates into party purges?

if that were true, we would still be plagued by Ronulans.. and the Gary what’s his name folks..

people argue, there won’t be any jackbooted people coming to take your internet away for not liking Mitt.. God knows if I had that power, there’d be some weeping folks at kos and huff n puff….

=

=

nahhh… I wouldn’t.. first amendment rules.. and I wouldn’t change that.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Well written Post Erika! I’m pretty excited about this pick..he was def one of my top choices and will help with the conservative vote

sadsushi on August 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Very few Republicans are hot on Romney.
—————————

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

and your point?

Name an election year where the bulk of the country ever paid much attention before the conventions.. Hell I doubt a man in the street interview would find a majority who even know Biden is the VP…

We’re talking about a country which doesn’t focus until it has to.. we’re political junkies, so we watch.. but this far out..

Ryan will generate some interest, because to most folks watching the news, he’s a new face.

Tell me after the conventions, that nobody likes Romney, and it’ll mean a lot more with polling showing most starting to pay attention.. but now, it’s not that much an indication.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That would be a mistake – he’s a likeable guy. They should paint him as an extremely inexperienced guy with zero private enterprise experience. A guy who knows little to nothing about the rest of the world.

These are all true about Ryan Barak Obama.

Nice guy – but the office is too big for his feet.

HondaV65 on August 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

This is correct

Strike Hornet on August 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Could free enterprise in medicine ever come back when the top guy Romney is proposing to replace marxist care with his own version?

bgibbs1000 on August 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM

This is the R’s Jeremiah Wright…and one of several reasons why there was no panic on the Dem side about this pick; just utter disbelief and a bit of amusement. The R’s will have to flip-flop to get out of this like they’ve already tried to do. And….then religion (gasp) will enter into the debate and we RIGHT back to the social issues where Conservatives prefer not to be…and that’s how Romney Mormonism will come into play. If me, someone who never stepped foot in the political arena can see that, surely someone in Romney’s camp can and definitely Obama’s camp.

StoneKrab on August 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

and yes.. I too pay attention..

this is taking a what if scenario into aliens ate my brain turf.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Barry went to college under that name not Barack.

This means that at some point Barry decided he would rather be known as a Muslim. Muslims that convert commonly choose Muslim names Barry had only a need to change his name back to his birth name. His “Pastor” of 20 years was actually a imam (his degree from an Islamic college). Barack had been honored by Muslims all over the world and was Muslim as a child even according to his own book. His father was Muslim. Now he would not be honored by Muslims unless he was still Muslim as they would actually have a death warrant on him instead for illegally converting you are not allowed to do that. So Muslims worldwide accept that Barack is a Muslim.

Furthermore. Barack has been very quick to force out Dictators that stood in the way of the Muslim Brotherhood gaining power. He will lie all day long that they are not who they are. He even called they largely secular. Do not dare call a person an Islamic Terrorist either. That defames Islam and is offensive to Muslims like Barack. The murderers of the President of Egypt are now in charge of Egypt thanks to Barack.

No this is hardly tin foil hat stuff. You are simply not paying close enough attention. Every thing Barack has done in office has furthered the Muslim Brotherhoods cause. Even killing Bin Laden. He was assured his 70 virgins and Pakistan was able to stop helping us. Same with his drone strikes. The Martyrs get 70 virgins and it gives Obama more room to further the overall cause.

Then why am I against Mitt.

Firstly he offended the jews so much in Mass they wrote a letter to Salt Lake City asking he be excommunicated.

Secondly he was raised as a Communist taught that Communism was a better system.

Thirdly he as President would be the face of the Republican Party. Thus the Republican Party would be blamed for his utter failure as President. He would fail with out any doubt. There would be no way for him to get legislation passed that could possibly help this country even if he wanted to and there is no indication he does.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yeah, Joe’s a No Brainer on that one.

Not sure if anyone else would join him though.

By the way I want to amend my original comment; I doubt that O’bama could produce such an imminent threat “out of thin air”, as it would have to seem to be a credible threat for this ruse to work.

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Just got here and too damn lazy to read all the comments thus far but I have to ask: should Romney/Ryan win, what happens to Ryan’s seat (meaning: how likely are we to keep it)?

affenhauer on August 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

StoneKrab on August 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

LOL! Dream on, loser..

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Definite tin foil hat stuff. You probably ought to lay off those fringe websites for a while.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

affenhauer on August 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

It’s a swing district, but Ryan always has managed to win reelection comfortably. I suspect that the Republicans have a 50-percent shot at retaining it.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

affenhauer on August 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Who cares? We have another RINO picks conservative VP ticket to get behind. Yay, whoopi, go Mitt.

bgibbs1000 on August 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, Joe’s a No Brainer on that one.

Not sure if anyone else would join him though.

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

For the record, if there was a terrorist attack on his watch between now and November, it would not help Obama. Quite the contrary, it would demonstrate that his policies have failed.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM

StoneKrab on August 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Yes I read a different article on this where Ryan basically said he doubts the existance of GOD.

Of course she is totally wrong. I feel sorry for her really. It is unfortunate that she never found someone she could truly love. Then she would understand that the only true happiness in life is found by giving to another. That if you truly do so then your own needs are met far more fully than by any selfish endeavor. This speaks more clearly that GOD exist more so than anything else. You give unselfishly to others and you are in fact blessed and helped more than those you help. No doing so unselfishly is the hard part.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Right.

Why GW Bush lost his second term.

This only works if the response is weak. If Obama plans it the response will be anything but weak. Remember Obama could Nuke Iran and be praised worldwide for doing so. If they hit us hard enough. Hardly thinking that would happen just giving perspective. Any military strike Obama does will be portrayed as valiant. Quite the opposite of the response Mitt would get or GW got.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!

Let’s get ready to RRRRRUMBLE!

Buttercup on August 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Free enterprise???

Ryan voted for TARP, the auto/union bailouts, Obama’s stimulus, raising the debt ceiling, etc.

Wake up, people.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

They wouldn’t have had time to do anything about that yet.

Biden remained on the ballot in Delaware in 2008, and I believe so did Lieberman in 2000.

Right Mover on August 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Right.

Why GW Bush lost his second term.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

No. First, Obama is associated with laxity on national security (despite killing Obama). Second, Obama has rolled back much of the intelligence gathering that was developed on Bush’s watch. Taking out terrorist leaders from a distance doesn’t afford opportunities to get information. Finally, most people will realize that Bush’s policies kept us safe for 8 plus years, and Obama’s led to several terrorist attacks on US soil.

Bombing somebody after the fact won’t make those criticisms go away. Moreover, the administration likely wouldn’t be able to arrange a sufficient response in time for the election. A run-of-the-mill bombing won’t be seen as sufficient, because they are routine at this point.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Very few Republicans are hot on Romney.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You realize he’s the nominee. I don’t think “very few” means what you think it means.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Who would’a thunk that Wisconsin, the “birthplace of the insane American leftist, Welfare State, Hippie/Union Thug Lunacy”, would become Ground Zero for the fight for Freedom and Economic Sanity…First Hitler himself Scott Walker destroys the Corrupt Milwaukee Machine Commie Mayor Barrett a 2nd time by a larger margin than the 1st time only a year earlier, then the Republican Presidential Nominee chooses The Grandma Killer Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan for his VP running mate…WOW!
Leftie heads exploding all over the Cheese-Head State…LOL
Cue the Drum Circles!!!!!
‘HEY-HEY-HO-HO, UNION THUGS HAVE GOT TO GO!!~ THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!!!!

UP-TWINKLES!!!!

Strike Hornet on August 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM

LOL! Dream on, loser..

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM

LOL, too funny…to the Kos Kiddies, it’s all about social justice as the country falls into bankruptcy…
LOOK! THERE’S OBAMA RIDING A UNICORN ON A RAINBOW AFTER A SKITTLES AND PUPPIES RAIN-SHOWER!!!!
UP-TWINKLES!!!!

Strike Hornet on August 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Unfortunately he is, but only by default.

bgibbs1000 on August 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Free enterprise???

Wake up, people.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

He didn’t vote for the stimulus:

TARP and the auto bailouts were extraordinary circumstances. And raising the debt limit was unavoidable. Solving the budget deficit issue isn’t going to get done in a year or two.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

UP-TWINKLES!!!!

Strike Hornet on August 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Sigh. They really do seem utterly hopel.ess, don’t they? I wonder how many Obama supporters from 2008 have seen the light..

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

It would take a good bit more than that, actually.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

“Actually”, they are already here. They have been crossing the porous Mexican border for awhile now, hiding among us for the right moment (and instruction) as to when to attack our malls, our military posts, our electrical grids, nuclear plants, oil depots, airports, train and bus stations and schools.

How easily we forget the many reports of all those olive-pigmented strangers taking photos of many of these sites over the last decade.

honsy on August 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

He didn’t vote for the stimulus:

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It has to end a some point. This is just more BS. Can’t wait for the excuse when marxist care doesn’t get repealed.

bgibbs1000 on August 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Unlike obumble…. Ryan HAS worked in McDonalds.

ultracon on August 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

In the meanwhile, your fascists, from the left to the right, in perfect ‘transparency’.

Your president and your ‘representatives’ are like in Hitler’s time.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Unlike obumble…. Ryan HAS worked in McDonalds.

ultracon on August 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

But O’Bozo has eaten there – many times when Moochie wasn’t there. Doesn’t that count for anything? ;)

honsy on August 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Today Romney lost the election. Not because Ryan is a bad person but because he does portray the ethnic and racial diversity needed to win the election. Don’t get me wrong I will vote for Romney. To beat Obama I would vote for Romney if he selected Jerry Sandusky to be his VP.

The problem is that Ryan brings little or nothing to the table. Cubans in Florida will be miffed that Rubio was snubbed and this could spell defeat in a MUST HAVE state. If Romney wanted to pick off Wisconin-he would have done better with Walker. He will lose Wisconsin DESPITE Ryan. Ryan, indeed, brings NO state into the Romney column.

The only hope now is that some egregious faux pas is created by the Obama camp or if Obama’s doctored Columbia transcripts “mysteriously” appear (which would probably include an anti-American dissertation or two.)

MaiDee on August 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

In all the ‘excitement’ over Savior Ryan’s Pick, this dangerous, outrageous assault on the Constitution goes unnoticed:

The law now allows Obama and future presidents to name appointees to senior positions in every branch of the administration, from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security. without Senate confirmation.

Wow, those fools in the House and Senate sure can multitask. They, stick a knife in our backs, crap on the Constitution, and cut their own throats, all at the same time.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

No one is seriously questioning the role and importance of free enterprise. What’s less clear is how government is what allowed the Western banking system to engage in Libor and undoubtedly countless other rate-fixing schemes across global markets, gravely distorting capitalism. Your vast oversimplifications don’t actually address the complex realities of the world.

bayam on August 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thank you for understanding the long game and that it took decades to get in this situation and that it can’t be turned on a dime.

It’s much like getting rid of tenured, multiple termed corruptocrats in office – one at a time. Just have to be patient with an eye on the long game. People are just too impatient and worship at the God of Instant Gratification too much.

kim roy on August 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Free enterprise???

Wake up, people.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

And those measures did more to protect American free enterprise from the threats of depression and encroaching Asian competitors than anything the Tea Party has ever contemplated in it’s collectively challenged, tiny brain.

Let’s try to get this straight- American automakers are the foundation of the US manufacturing base, NOT Japanese or German auto companies that have manufacturing operations in some US states.

bayam on August 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM

MaiDee on August 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I’m a Cuban. I grew up in Florida. I’m not miffed about the Ryan pick. If Republicans worry about this PC diversity crap, we are going to lose, because we can’t win these kinds of bidding wars with Democrats. In the end, we’re never going to make a pick that pleases the Dems: If we pick a Black guy, he’s a token, and if we don’t pick a Black guy we’re boring white guys. Last time, we picked a woman, the “liberal feminists” went to great lengths to ensure that we knew that Palin should have just stayed in the kitchen. This race/gender thing is BS–a smokescreen.

It wasn’t Rubio’s time this year. That’s okay. This choice won’t cost us the election.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Romney/Ryan=Repair/Replace

Speakup on August 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

MaiDee on August 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Cubans are smart people, they will vote Romney in 2012 and will be happy to have Rubio as their Senator for a few more years.

thebrokenrattle on August 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

bayam on August 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Of those votes: for TARP, for the auto bailouts, and for the debt limit increases, the only one that really bother me was the auto bailout vote. TARP and the debt limit increases were completely unavoidable. We had to do them: The first one to save the economy, and the second to honor our commitments.

However, I can see no similar rationale for saving GM and Chrysleer. They should have been allowed to fail. The most galling thing about the TARP vote, is that it seems that little has been done to address the issue of too-big-to-fail banks.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

thebrokenrattle on August 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I concur! Cubans are smart people! :)

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Ugh. It’s truly pathetic to see Republicans saying things like this.

HB3 on August 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Sorry, Erika: it won’t work. You can’t have the statists move the ball ten yards in four years and then say it’s too sweeping to move it ten or eleven yards back. One yard back means in a few years statism wins, touchdown, and game over.

AshleyTKing on August 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Doesn’t matter whether Thelma or Louise is driving.

The car is still going over the cliff.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM

As many of you that know me, I am a big backer of Romney and I knew he would make a great choice as VP and bring all components of the conservative party together! Romney is a brilliant guy and likely gathered many opposing voices together and weighed them all and decided to go young, go tea party style, strong on economy and policy, strong on 2nd Amendment, etc etc

Great Choice and now we have a GREAT ticket in:

ROMNEY / RYAN 2012!!

g2825m on August 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM

AshleyTKing on August 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I’m not sure where you get that from. Ryan’s budget is a good first step. Is it enough? Probably not by itself. However, it is a reasonable proposal, and when the Dems set themselves on fire calling it extreme, they run the risk of discrediting themselves, because it is anything but extreme.

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I just watched the speech again! I can’t get enough R&R! Man… what a relief! How refreshing! LOVE those guys!

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Wisconsin laws allow Ryan to stay on the ballot for his house seat while running for VP, and he is leading the Dem candidate 61 to 33 or something like that.

bayview on August 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I’ve been struck today by how many times we’ve had to REAFFIRM that ‘voting blocks’ are NOT full of idiots !!
Sort of says something about how deeply embedded our ‘new tone’ senses of division have been whacked upon us, for the past few years, doesn’t it ?
Anyone else know what I mean ??

Wish I knew how to word that better .. hmm.
Axe ?????? ;-)

pambi on August 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Is anyone suprised by the troll activity today?

Would there be this amount of craziness if Ryan was a bad pick?

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Ugh. It’s truly pathetic to see Republicans saying things like this.

HB3 on August 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You’re giving the troll too much credit.

Anyone can call themselves anything on a post.

This is such a “seminar post” that its laughable in its face.

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

They will tell you whom they fear.

kingsjester on August 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

MaiDee on August 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I do not think Cuban Americans are that petty…besides, Rubio is very young…he will be around for some time and he said time and again that he did not want the job. Maybe he meant it.

Terrye on August 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

In the name of what, protecting the purity of capitalism? I’m afraid that capitalism has been abused for centuries and the Chinese have been prostituting it out for the past few decades, with crushing effect on Western democracies.

Not even an anti-union President like Bush could let the industry die- taking down Ford with it. The nation’s center would have been economically devastated, perhaps beyond repair, if the industry had died.

It’s a testament to American capitalism that once the defective management and business models were repaired, the companies came roaring back. Fiat also deserves praise for their exceptional tolerance to risk in helping save Chrysler.

bayam on August 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

ghostwriter I really, truly hope I’m wrong. We’ll find out of Nov 6.

MaiDee on August 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Man, I am very impressed with Ryan as the VP choice.
Just stop for a second, close your eyes and imagine yourself in this moment if Romney had chosen Pawlenty.
Yep, I thought so.

We might just win this thing.

the new aesthetic on August 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Ryan speaking live in Manassass right now and mentioning Solyndra and getting great reaction.

the new aesthetic on August 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

bayview on August 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Does that mean Ryan could win the House seat and immediately resign it? Then, the Rep gov of Wisconsin appoint another republican to serve out the term?

BacaDog on August 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Best Ryan quote of the day: “Hope and Change has become attack and blame”

Love it.

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

CSPAN is broadcasting the speeches Live.

Buttercup on August 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Free enterprise???

Wake up, people.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Yes, free enterprise…The first TARP that was passed when Bush was in office was an emergency measure costing about 300billion and that money has been paid back…and the original loan to the GM was not a bailout..they were to come back the following March with a plan to restructure…do not blame Ryan or Bush for that matter for what the Obama administration did when they came into office. There was a difference between a few emergency measures meant to stop a collapse and a take over of auto companies and banks.

Ryan is enough of a believer in free enterprise to raise the ire of the left. Their reaction to the man should tell you something.

Terrye on August 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Mitt is speaking now, and he is fighting mad at the Obama attacks! He said, “We’re not going to besmirch the office of President by rolling around in the dirt. We’re going to talk about ideas!” And enough of that said, he’s talking about ideas.

MJBrutus on August 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Raised 2 million since the announcement? Yahoo!

scalleywag on August 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM

W

bgibbs1000 on August 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I am not sure it is that simple..if people had not been able to cash paychecks or if employers had not been able to make payroll..there could have been all kinds of problems the likes of which we can not imagine..we are not in the debt we are in today because of some emergency program…we are in this problem because of chronic over spending in entitlement programs and low tax receipts due to slow growth and high unemployment.

Terrye on August 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I got that from his budget proposals that assume trillion dollar deficits. That allows Obama/Pelosi/Reid to have done a massive statist reset in federal spending, at a bankrupting level. A conservative or Tea Partier cannot accept that as the new normal going forward.

AshleyTKing on August 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I like how they have simplified Romney’s 60 something plan down to just 5 things:

1) Energy Independence
2) Skills to succeed (education, teachers’ union takes a backseat)
3) Trade that works for America
4) Fiscal sanity, reduce the deficit and get to a balanced budget
5) Champion small business

If they stay on these 5 things, they should be able to control the narrative over Obama’s “attack and blame”.

He also wants to repeal and replace Obamacare. Wonder what that really means?

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Since the Dems rolled in the “one time” Omnibus spending in 2009 along with that stimulus, into the baseline spending, we have been spending that same number over and over ever since. That is one of the reasons Reid won’t do a budget. As long as they have to just do continuing resolutions, all of that one time spending gets spent each year over and over.

Why can’t they just go back to the 2008 baseline when they get control next year? I just don’t understand that at all. Cowards, all of them.

karenhasfreedom on August 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Typical threat …

“Trumka later appeared at the (AFL-CIO Philly) rally alongside DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, telling the crowd that the economy needs to grow from the “bottom up” and the “middle out.” He also warned that opponents of the unions’ vision of prosperity “had better get out of our way because we are going to run up their chests, come down their heads and come down on their backs.”

pambi on August 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

White House Insider when asked by Ulsterman how the administration is taking the news about the Ryan pick: ” Obama just sh*t himself.”

the new aesthetic on August 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

ghostwriter on August 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

well put.

jimver on August 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

They will tell you whom they fear.

kingsjester on August 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

+100

You’ve got the last word.

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I am literally laughing at anyone who thinks TARP was necessary or that the stimulus or bailouts were necessary, while cursing you as ignorant enablers in the same breath.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I am stoked. I bought a few bumper stickers and a shirt today.

Lawdawg86 on August 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

the new aesthetic on August 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Why would he do that? The Republicans just picked a guy who agrees with him economically. Obama gets to point to Ryan’s votes for the bailouts, for TARP, for raising the debt ceiling and increasing spending. This was a gift to the Obama camp, which isindistinguishable from the Romney/Republican camp. Look at all of you cheerleading Romney and Ryan.

Dante on August 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

hey should paint him as an extremely inexperienced guy with zero private enterprise experience. Nice guy – but the office is too big for his feet.

HondaV65 on August 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

hahaha, priceless, as opposed to the private sector experience galore of ‘you-didn-build-that-community-organizer-in-chief-Obama’…you should do stand up comedy, man, especially if you can say all that with a straight face….definitely stand up’s your shtick :-)

jimver on August 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM