Romney rolls the dice

posted at 6:31 pm on August 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

Has there ever been a campaign that went, literally overnight, from being about nothing to leaping neck-deep into the most treacherous, dangerous issue in American politics? Until last night, I thought Romney was running for president because he wanted to be president, full stop. Everything about him suggested personal ambition over vision — the endless flip-flops, the extreme caution on the trail, the negative-ad carpet-bombing of Gingrich and Santorum in the primaries. Then I wake up this morning and find he’s made the boldest move on entitlement reform in modern U.S. history, all but gambling his candidacy on the public’s ability to not only see through Democratic Mediscare smears but to embrace a reform agenda. I don’t know how to process it. I respect Romney tremendously for it, but it just doesn’t compute. It’s like watching C-3PO lead the raid on the Death Star.

I’ve seen a dozen posts online this morning marveling at how he’s now abandoned his “referendum” approach to the election — i.e. “vote for me because Obama’s terrible” — in favor of a “choice” approach, but that doesn’t remotely capture the boldness of this shift. It’s not just that he’s given Obama his wish by making the election a clear choice, it’s that he’s made it a choice about the most momentous, fraught domestic policy dilemma the country’s faced in ages. Amazing. Awesome. Baffling. As someone on Twitter said this morning, imagine John Kerry in August 2004 suddenly deciding he’d had enough of attacking Bush on Iraq and that it was time to make the election a battle over whether the U.S. should have single-payer health care. This is sort of like that.

I would have voted for Ryan for president if he had run so, as you might expect, I like the pick. To me, it’s a “clear conscience” selection: We’re going to own our agenda, let our very best salesman make the pitch on the biggest possible stage, and have the country decide. If they want to send The One back for a second term knowing that the consequences are a near-term fiscal meltdown, hey, that’s democracy. At least, for once, they’ll have made a fully informed choice on this issue; if the electorate prefers the $15 Trillion-Dollar Man’s “vision” on how to solve this existential problem to Paul Ryan’s, I prefer to have a clear statement at the polls to that effect. William Saletan is almost giddy over Ryan’s selection, not because he thinks it’s a sure winner for Democrats but because we’re finally guaranteed a meaningful argument on a matter of deepest consequence by a guy who can make it better than anyone else:

Ryan refutes the Democratic Party’s bogus arguments. He knows that our domestic spending trajectory is unsustainable and that liberals who fail to get it under control are leading their constituents over a cliff, just like in Europe. Eventually, you can’t borrow enough money to make good on your promises, and everyone’s screwed. Ryan understands that the longer we ignore the debt crisis and postpone serious budget cuts—the liberal equivalent of denying global warming—the more painful the reckoning will be. There’s nothing compassionate about that kind of irresponsibility.

Maybe, like me, you were raised in a liberal household. You don’t agree with conservative ideas on social or foreign policy. But this is why God made Republicans: to force a reality check when Democrats overpromise and overspend…

Screw the polls. Republicans will be on the right side of the spending debate. They’ll be on the right side of the substance debate, too. Instead of bickering about Romney’s tax returns and repeating the obvious but unhelpful observation that the unemployment rate sucks, we’ll actually have to debate serious problems and solutions. That’s great for the country.

Right on. Lefty bloggers have been pushing a theory lately that Romney’s choosing Ryan as a fall guy or patsy because he suspects he’s going to lose and wants to be able to blame someone else when he does. (“It was that darned Ryan budget!”) That’s unlikely — see my point above about how important personal ambition is to Romney — but it is true, I think, that Romney sees losing as a more real possibility than he did before. He wouldn’t take the risk of campaigning from the third rail if he thought he was cruising to victory by playing it safe. But that’s okay; a bet that would pay off this big is worth longer odds. The enormous risk here is that, if Romney crashes and burns, not only will we get another four years of O but Republicans and centrist Democrats who were heretofore open to entitlement reform will run screaming from it afterward. The enormous reward, obviously, is that if Romney wins, we not only get a Republican president but one with support from voters to take this issue up in earnest (finally). I think it’s worth the gamble.

But I’m under no illusions. This makes winning harder, not easier. Some tough truths: The Democrats are going to flood Ohio and Florida with ads aiming to scare the pants off of seniors and blue-collar workers about the “safety net” disappearing under Romney/Ryan. Obama will now frame the election not merely as a choice between Ryan’s budget and his own plan (whatever that is) but as a choice between the president and, as represented by Ryan, the most unpopular Congress in modern history. If the attacks work and Romney fades down the stretch, that could have huge downballot effects in House races too, jeopardizing the GOP majority. I think the best-case scenario is that Ryan’s salesmanship brings enough people around on entitlement reform to fight the Democrats to a standstill on that issue, and then Romney wins the election narrowly due to voter dissatisfaction on the economy. In other words, it’s both a “referendum election” and a “choice election”: If Ryan can make the choice on the budget a stalemate, the ticket can still win a referendum on Obama’s job performance. But that assumes, per Ryan’s speech this morning, that some critical mass of voters will respond to a campaign that tells them the truth and that ideas beat demagoguery, as the man himself once insisted. Is that true? Has it ever been true before when it comes to entitlements? If Krauthammer’s right that the infamous Obama Super PAC steelworker ad is working because voters don’t pay enough attention to be able to cut through the B.S. in emotionally charged ads, imagine how difficult it’ll be to rebut B.S. on a subject as complex and emotionally toxic as entitlements. Sean Trende, RCP’s elections guru (who’s no liberal, needless to say), argues that not only does this pick make things harder for Romney, it actually opens up the possibility of an Obama landslide. Huge gamble.

Just one teensy tiny footnote to all this: Is Romney going to campaign on the Ryan budget? It would be beyond bizarre to add a lightning rod to the ticket and then take cover from the lightning. And yet:

“Gov. Romney applauds Paul Ryan for going in the right direction with his budget,” according to the [Romney campaign] talking points, “and as president he will be putting together his own plan for cutting the deficit and putting the budget on a path to balance.”…

“Of course they aren’t going to have the same view on every issue. But they both share the view that this election is a choice about two fundamentally different paths for this country. President Obama has taken America down a path of debt and decline. Romney and Ryan believe in a path for America that leads to more jobs, less debt and smaller government. So, while you might find an issue or two where they might not agree, they are in complete agreement on the direction that they want to lead America.”

Eli Lake put it this way: “The worst that can happen to Paul Ryan is that the ticket wins. Then Ryan — who has won a loyal following as the principled budget cutter — will have to line up behind Romney budgets. This is kind of like putting Eddie Van Halen in REO Speedwagon. Yes it makes REO Speedwagon rock a lot harder, but it totally ruins Van Halen.” Is that what we’re getting here, Speedwagon with Eddie on guitar? Or are we getting Van Halen with a new lead singer, namely, Mitt Romney? (So sorry for that image, really.) Romney’s going to get torn to shreds for Ryan’s budget no matter what, so I’m not sure what the point is in proposing his own budget if it’s significantly different from Ryan’s. You own it now, Mitt. If you didn’t want to, why’d you choose Ryan?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Part of me still wishes Romney would have went with the enforcer Chris Christie, who would have punched back against the progressives twice as hard as they’ve punched Romney…but all in all I like Ryan.

Ryan may not have the pit bull style of Christie, but his fiscal credentials are rock solid, and he has shown he can dissect Obama’s economic policy.

MidniteRambler on August 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I know. I was trying to be cool by pretending I didn’t listen to them. :P

lorien1973 on August 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Too funny, me too. And for the record Sammy made VH better (ducks)

D-fusit on August 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

AllahsNippleHair on August 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I still think Romney is hitting one note and if he wants to win he needs to diversify.

terryannonline on August 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You own it now, Mitt. If you didn’t want to, why’d you choose Ryan?

Yes. The “talking points” memo from the Romney camp distancing him from Ryan’s budget disturbed me as well. I asked the same question. But wouldn’t it be so like a RINO to make a “bold” choice and then lose his nerve and scramble to hedge his bets?

Isn’t this what McCain did with Palin?

Romney strangely did not look confident in his introduction today. Let’s hope he didn’t make this choice out of fear (he really should have waited until the convention in my opinion rather than give the appearance the choice was timed to stop a bad news cycle) rather than conviction.

rrpjr on August 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Don’t just comment, go to Mitt’s site and donate already. $15 is all it takes. Send a message.

the new aesthetic on August 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I’m hearing a lot of lefty shrieking about medicare (“Ryan’s budget will SLASH Medicare” — as if letting it bankrupt is a better plan!) more “We tried it Bush’s way and it didn’t work” (Right, because the last 4 years were Bush’s policies?) and the abortion stuff is starting now too.

I anticipate a lot more “War on Women” ads because independents are sensitive to it. Hopefully Romney and Ryan can keep on point here.

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Let them hit us with their best shot and let’s him them with ours and see where the chips fall. It’s time to take the electorate’s temperature as to whether they want tyranny or liberty. If they choose the former then we know it’s time for plan B.

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Of course Romney is all in with the Ryan pick – he’s running for President against an incumbent that has the entire support of the media. Playing it safe by going with Portman or Pawlenty wouldn’t cut it. He has to offer voters a clear alternative and present them with plans to tackle the economy and debt. I don’t think the attacks will be much worse than they would have been with any other choice. Obama has nothing to run on so he’s just going to keep throwing out every attack possible. I’m sure the Dems were going to run mediscare ads in Ohio and Florida no matter what.

supernova on August 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Last night you were the total concern troll? Last night?

AllahsNippleHair on August 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Yeah, I’ve been hard on Romney more than once.

terryannonline on August 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Yes, so have I. He wasn’t my first choice. BUT, why do you think the Obama regime has been trying to distract everyone with gay marriage, birth control debate, amnesty, Romney’s dog?
Because he cannot talk about the economy because it is a disaster. Keep hounding the economy, and we have a win.
The economy. Everything else is secondary.

AllahsNippleHair on August 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Don’t you know it Canopfor

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I’m with you, AP. Truer words were never spoken. If Americans choose to give Obama a second term, knowing the damage he is causing, then I’ll finally be able to give up on politics altogether. Because it really won’t matter any more.

This is it. This is the big one. We either win this or we say goodbye to a nation that once believed in free enterprise and personal responsibility. America has a chance now to prove that we can still do what’s right, what’s responsible, what’s necessary to give every citizen a chance to make it on his own. I believe voters will make the right choice. I sure hope I’m right.

Caiwyn on August 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Obama does not want to turn America into Europe. This is a mistake to think so. He hates Europeans because they are too white anyway. His plan for a second term is to turn America into Kalifornia, then in a third term, Venezuela, and in a fourth term, North Korea. He would already have transformed America into North Korea but such forward change will take a few more terms.

VorDaj on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Paul Ryan vs dumb ol’ uncle joe in the debate. priceless.

VegasRick on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Ryan’s budget was overwhelmingly favored by seniors. I believe they were for it by over 20 points.

Capitalist Infidel on August 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Yep. I know I’ve already posted this several times since last night, but I’ll keep posting it until it sinks in.

Gallup: Seniors Most Favorable To Ryan Budget

A new Gallup/USA Today poll contains a counterintuitive finding: the age group most receptive to House Budget Chair Paul Ryan’s plan to deal with the budget – seniors.

The poll finds 48 percent of seniors (those 65 and over) support Ryan’s plan over President Obama’s plan, while 42 percent back the president.

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

The Team was here (Manassas, VA) a bit more than an hour ago.

I wish I was able to go see them speak, but local officials say there were 10,000 people on the scene this evening.

Sounds like some energy is building. I’ve got a good feeling…for the first time in a while.

Go Romney & Ryan!

freedomfirst on August 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I wish they had made it over my way (western VA) today.

changer1701 on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I’m almost a senior. I’m not afraid. Bring on the flying granny commercials! I’d rather see someone in office tackle the tough problems and go to my grave with a stomach full of cat food than to let the country keep on it’s current path.

Romney Ryan all the way.

scalleywag on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

You bet it’s worth the gamble. This election will determine whether we want to be a Communist country or a freedom loving country.

Obama wants to repeat ‘success’ of auto industry bailout in other industries

We cannot afford 4 more years of this crap.

JPeterman on August 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Can anyone else sense the fear?

maybe pelosi and reids complete nonsense will complete with facts and cognizant thinking? /s

maybe the demagoguery of liberal talk show hosts will help?

they are scared.. and I could not be happier, to think we have a shot to save our country.

MrMoe on August 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

JPeterman on August 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

That auto industry crap was explicitly supported by both Romney and Ryan. The right is full of hypocrites.

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You own it now, Mitt. If you didn’t want to, why’d you choose Ryan?

Because it is time to tell the truth, that’s why.

Key West Reader on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

compete

MrMoe on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Just get Mr. Ryan in front of the camera as often as possible. I watched a couple of his videos today and they rock. If a dumb old country girl like me can understand his message, the rest of the country can.

tj4osu on August 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Don’t you know it Canopfor

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

cmsinaz:Now comes the FULL ON WAR FRONT:)

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Does anyone have any evidence that Democrat Medicare tactics work in the current environment?

rob verdi on August 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Uh…NY-26

ChrisL on August 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Go Romney & Ryan!

freedomfirst on August 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

ME TOO! Yesterday after watching Ingram I felt a little disillusioned, but what a difference a day can make.

scalleywag on August 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

MrMoe on August 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

You can feel it. They now know that Romney is serious and is going to push the conversation with the American people. And we have a great voice and mind added to the ticket. Great day today.

VegasRick on August 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Romney and Ryan will have to convince today’s Seniors that they absolutely will not be effected by a restructuring of the entitlement programs to save them from collapse.

Obviously, Romney decided to have this fight now because if we do not have and win this fight now, it will be too late to have it later. Our country is headed toward “Greece” now, and kicking the situation down the road another four years is not an option, as it will do nothing but escalate the impending financial and economic collapse, and national self-destruction.

Time to “pad up,” “man up,” and “suit up,” folks! The survival of the nation is now in our hands, and we have about 2.5 months to save it. The battle for America’s future is now engaged.

SheetAnchor on August 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Allah, your post is a clinic in false choices.

mockmook on August 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Tingles impressed that neither mitt nor paul used a teleprompters

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Uh…NY-26

ChrisL on August 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

That only worked because there was a 3rd party candidate splitting the right.

wargamer6 on August 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s time to put everything on the table and find out if this is still the America of our forebears. If we lose, we go down fighting on principle instead of laying down like doormats the way McCain did in 2008. Bring on the fight!

CantCureStupid on August 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Poll
====

4:54 pm ET August 11, 2012
Scott Rasmussen:

Next 48 Hours Are Critical to Define VP Selection
**************************************************

Video:

Following the big VP announcement, Scott Rasmussen discussed some of the latest poll numbers from Rasmussenreports.com. “Paul Ryan is well-known to people inside the Beltway and to political junkies everywhere, but nationally, not so much,” he said.

In a recent Rasmussen poll of likely voters, he pointed out that 39 percent have a favorable opinion of Ryan, 29 percent unfavorable, and 35 percent no opinion (with margin of error being +/- 3 percent).

“7 out of 10 Republicans like him, which might help energize the base. 42 percent of unaffiliated voters have no idea who he is. These next 48-72 hours are going to be very critical to define the selection and what it says about the Romney campaign.”

He went on to say, “Despite all the hoopla today about Paul Ryan, this race is still primarily about Barack Obama. His job approval this morning fell to 43 percent, the lowest level of the year.”

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

And they’re too stupid to realize that the ‘safety net’ is only being held by threads at each corner.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Paul Ryan vs dumb ol’ uncle joe in the debate. priceless.

VegasRick on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

This.

gaius on August 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You are a joke.

VegasRick on August 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Key West Reader on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I’m glad I found you on this thread KWR! I wanted to thank you for the heads up about Spokeo! I deleted all of my information immediately and I told everyone else that I know, too!

Thanks again for pointing out that creepy site! I really appreciate it!

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Obama wants to repeat ‘success’ of auto industry bailout in other industries

We cannot afford 4 more years of this crap.

JPeterman on August 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

And Romney/Ryan should hammer Obama on this at the convention, while 60 million are watching and listening.

SheetAnchor on August 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I saw your post last night and I linked that study in a tweet to a lib political science professor who was arguing Romney put his support with seniors at risk. He came back with an argument that the wording of the question didn’t confirm respondents understood the details of Ryan’s plan. He was saying that it showed they would support a Republican plan. I don’t buy that. Seniors pay attention and vote. It obviously rattled him though because he seemed determined to shoot it down.

msmveritas on August 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I see your butt still hurts. She didn’t run and you still can’t get over it.

Poor baby.

JPeterman on August 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I think the key is explaining to people that being against a mandate for contraception doesn’t mean you’re against contraception itself. That Roe V. Wade is NOT being overturned. Nothing about Romney/Ryan is going to put “women back to the 1950′s” Debunk the stupid stuff. I was luke-warm about Romney’s ability to communicate basic concepts like this (the staffer gaffe last week didn’t help) but I have a lot of faith in Ryan’s ability to communicate this in every-day-language. He has the quality that Obama capitalized on, to feel like he’s talking to you as “one of the guys”.

The key is whether or not anyone will get a chance to truly listen to him. It’ll be an uphill battle, but I’m strangely.. cautiously… optimistic.

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yeah buddy

Canopfor :)

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Tingles impressed that neither mitt nor paul used a teleprompters

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

LoLz..He should be..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ryan is a smart choice, mostly because Ryan is smart. He’s also palatable to people who don’t generally like Republicans. He will make best-foot-forward appearances on hostile media with a nice smile and a solid argument. Long-term, having Ryan front-and-center is great for the party. We just have to make sure Obama is making a fool of himself at all times, forcing him to defend the indefensible until any positive is pushed to a negative. Alinsky the ba$tard.

alwaysfiredup on August 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

AllahPundit, from your analysis it does look like Romney decided to give the voters a distinct choice. This is great because when your persona is a nebulous question mark, when you seemed to be trying to fade away and not radiate, the voters would choose the candidate that is tangible, that they can get a hold of, even if they disagree on the issues.
It is very important now for Romney to make this a bigger choice than just about entitlements and spending. First, it’s not about the short-term economy, it’s about the long-term economy, it’s about whether we are going to follow a path to bankruptcy and to the loss of freedom and to the loss of the American Dream. On the most profound level it is the choice of whether we return to conservative principle, or dive head first into radical leftist abyss (or cesspool!).
Remind the voters always about the nature of the choice, conservative or extreme liberal leftist, because surprise that is a battle we win. Don’t say it’s about the short-term economy, as the voters will understand that it is really not about that, and we might lose if it were.

Conservative or leftist. That is the choice.

And we can’t hide from the main elements of that choice. Conservative also means rejecting the extreme aspects of the “new morality” and the gay militants, and standing up against a tide of illegal immigration that is threatening to turn our country into Mexico.

anotherJoe on August 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

If this is as eeyorish as AP is on the Ryan choice…we got a great chance to win.

d1carter on August 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Still at 43%??..I would have thought it would be lower..:)

PS..Thanks for the link!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

But I’m under no illusions. This makes winning harder, not easier

ONLY…ONLY…ONLY if R&R are unsuccessful at clearly defining and explaining the issues!!! The FACTS are on our side and the future of America is at stake…it’s called LEADERSHIP.
Yes all the RINO’s are wetting there pants but again…it’s what leaders do (unfamiliar to rino’s)

winston on August 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Only people who completely misread Romney are surprised at his choice of Ryan.

JA on August 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Thanks again for pointing out that creepy site! I really appreciate it!

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Holy crap, how do you remove yourself?

JPeterman on August 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Yeah buddy

Canopfor :)

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM

cmsinaz:–:)

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM

This election is about the size, scope and power of the US government.

Anything else is a distraction, a shiny object.

Keep your eye on the target, do not be distracted, and make sure all your friends are registered to vote. And make sure that they DO VOTE.

ajacksonian on August 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

What is the scoop on Todd Akin???..Can he win Senate seat?..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yep here we go:

Barack Obama ‏@BarackObama
FACT: Paul Ryan would ban all abortions, even in cases of rape or incest.

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

So, basically, they’re going to do what they did last election….and the one before that….and the one before that….and the one before that….and the one before that…..

“Paul Ryan is not qualified to be one heart beat away from presidency”,

promachus

..he says, as he quietly slips in his worn copy of “The Undefeated” while eying the half-empty bottle of Jergens on the end table next to him….

xblade on August 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

By “off the cliff” I assume you mean “more in control of your own destiny”.

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

If no real reforms are put in place, my generation will be off the cliff. All the money I’m putting into Medicare and Social Security is already gone. It infuriates me that I can’t keep that money.

SouthernGent on August 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

here’s why the left can lead people like Saletan around by the nose, off the cliff

from his twitter feed

Sure they do. Social issues are the #1 thing that keeps me from voting GOP. @KathaPollitt So Ryan’s votes against repro rights don’t count? about an hour ago

a totally vapid argument…stupid really, these people would rather live in a third world country as long as they can have an abortion or SSM or whatever. First it is a false choice. These are very stupid and self-absorbed people that we are stuck with…these people will happily consign poor people and the middle class to grinding poverty in failed cities, states in order to maintain their lifestyle preferences.

Sad really.

But, yeah, given the debasement of the country maybe it really is time to choose.

The Founders felt the same. And if R/R fail, barry/leftist media will crow for 20 years…and maybe, eventually the country will try to resurrect itself

honestly, i’ve not been optimistic for a while…I think that obama is a result of the general decline of the country. McCain was very symbolic in that way…old, tired, maybe addled, vague principles, always eager to negotiate and get his face on TV

he looked suspiciously like the end-game of the R party….certainly the left thought so

i hope romney/ryan do well…but we can’t blame them for not trying

r keller on August 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

gives an additional $250,000 tax cut for millionaires while punishing middle-class families with tax hikes of up to $2,000 a year

Un#^*!ngbelievable. They’re still saying that a tax DECREASE is an increase because the government has to make up the difference by taxing people.

Seriously, the Democrats have no #^(*ing clue what a tax decrease is so they call it an increase.

And they’re getting away with this.

I can’t take it. If we lose to this we deserve the inevitable gulags. WTF

bernverdnardo1 on August 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM

And, nor for nothing, Romney kept mentioning “character” today. Leadership starts with character. He’s planting the seeds for that new ad that exposes Barack as the nasty, vile piece of trash he is.

SouthernGent on August 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

And… this gem

*sigh*

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

BO makes a fool of himself without any help. Yes, the die-hard ‘bots will vote for him, but Romney and Ryan make a good first impression for those who haven’t been paying attention.

One thing about the choice of Ryan that delights me is that BO hates him, probably more than he despises Romney. Ryan exposes BO as an intellectual fraud. BO has treated Ryan badly in public in moments of pique, but Ryan just keeps on going.

In short, from a psychological viewpoint, the Ryan pick has probably got president pout all “wee-wee’d up”.

This is all to the good.

Cody1991 on August 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Yes..Team Obie will be using the “scare” tatics..Trying to create a “boogie man” out of Ryan..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Propaganda works best when it functions without a current reality with in-your-face consequences that contradicts it. I think the bankruptcies of various cities and the dire financial situation of governments in other locales will serve as a heavy counter-weight to the Dems caterwauling.

INC on August 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I’ve been saying for about 6 years that the general public and electorate IS READY for a heathy douse of reality and truth regarding entitlements. I’m absolutely giddy art finally having the chance to find out. GIDDY, I tell you.

I remain optimistic. If I’m proven wrong, it won’t much matter. We will be so screwed, and we will all find out the guard way. Facts are stubborn things.

connertown on August 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

It obviously rattled him though because he seemed determined to shoot it down.

msmveritas on August 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

heh. I’ve rattled a few libs too with that poll.

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Dear Leader Emperor Barack Hussein Louie Benito Hugo Issuzu Obama’s songbun system: The population of Dear Leader Barack Obama’s developing Democratik People’s Republik of Amerika can be roughly divided into three tiers, and ones place in these tiers is called songbun (based on North Korea’s sonbun system). An individuals songbun is based on ones position at the time of Obama’s ascendancy from questionable circumstances of birth to presidential occupation. Kenyan Obama himself, his K-lingon wife and ruling party members, largely comprised of the capos of Rahm, Axelrod, Reid, Pelosi and the Kennedy family and their sub-capos, are the main elite. People who helped to bankrupt the nation while lining their own pockets are at the next level in the songbun hierarchy and often have high committee positions in congress or are appointed to cabinet and czar positions and other high offices. The lowest songbun group is comprised of an as yet to be determined number of distinct classes, each with lower songbun then the next. Tea Party members, conservative blog writers, conservative talk show hosts, Christians, and people who still believe in Ayn Rand’s philosophy of individual rights and free enterprise or in the soon to be completely outdated U.S. Constitution and it’s guarantee of the right of free speech and assembly have the lowest songbun, and consequentially will occupy a role analogous to India’s untouchables.

VorDaj on August 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

With the focus on the economy and the budget, the SoCons will scream that not enough attention was given to social issues if this ticket loses. 2016 will be a battle between Jeb Bush and an extremist. Ugh.

McDuck on August 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

MeanWhile……………………….

Romney, Ryan & Walker Host ‘Homecoming Rally’ in Waukesha Sunday
*****************************************************************

Thousands expected at rally featuring Mitt Romney, his new running mate, Gov. Scott Walker and the GOP U.S. Senate candidate at the Waukesha County Expo Center.

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Hey. DS :)

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Obama Depression: “Happy Days Are Here, Again!”

M2RB: Chic

Resist We Much on August 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Hello!..Hope your weekend is going well!..:)

PS..R & R 2012!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

But I’m under no illusions. This makes winning harder, not easier.

Disagree. He just made GOP voters even more enthusiastic. 2010 may not have been the Tea Party’s peak.

Let the Democrat Party run their ads, they’ll say anything anyway, no one believes them anymore. I think Romney understands that.

I would have preferred Jindal, but this is the other uber-competence ticket.

America will have a clear choice between sensible fiscal policy and… well, Democrats.

TallDave on August 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Maybe you should read more often. This is just one small reference.

Barred on August 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

That is good news!..Very good news!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Still at 43%??..I would have thought it would be lower..:)

PS..Thanks for the link!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Dire Straits:I think,the situation,is…”Fluid”!(sarc):)

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

And… this gem

*sigh*

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Hey! warn people that they are clicking a site linked to the freaking government! I don’t go to those flipping places for a reason and if you had any sense neither would you. People are such sheep.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

1. His budget plans include big cuts, and there’s ample room for Democrats to continue with their “Romneyhood narrative.” The nonpartisan Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimates 62 percent of Ryan’s cuts are to programs for the poor.

Only a lying journalist like Elizabeth Hartfield would label a lefty outfit like Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, with board member like Marian Wright Edelman, nonpartisan.

bayview on August 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I’m thinking the opposite of what Krauthammer thinks is closer to the truth. It’s not that the ad didn’t have bite but because everyone knows it’s false and misleading linkage, there’s sinfulness attached to it too that prevents it from really sticking. IOW, it hasn’t permanently damaged Romney.

OTOH, The One, begins to pick up the stench of sh*t that’s coming off of the heels of his shoes.

We’re not morons and that includes Seniors.

Risk telling the truth. Remind voters that the alternative is shiny on the outside but rotting from within.

Eirenic Rebel on August 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I disagree with Krauthammer that the Bain/Cancer Murder ads are working. I just don’t think Americans are that stupid – and I think the vast majority of Likely Voters, including Independents, are aware that we are on an unsustainable fiscal path, and are ready to have a serious conversation about it.

Sure, Mediscare tactics may work with some low information voters. Hell, Obama’s entire campaign is aimed at low information voters. But those voters were likely to be sucked into Barry’s cult of personality anyway.

With Ryan, I feel we have the right messenger – the guy who can best make the case for a return to fiscal sanity in this country. What is the Ryan plan – a balanced budget by 2035? That’s not really painful at all – and it puts us on the right path.

The reform of Medicare? We need to stress that it only affects people younger than 55; that it is a “premium support” plan which is actually the same plan members of Congress have; and that it employs “means testing” which means the only folks who will pay more out of pocket will be those who can afford it.

TarheelBen on August 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

The Paul Ryan selection convinced me to donate. The campaign got $250 from me today and an order for a yard sign (I hope I’m the first one on the block!)

If Romney keeps pushing the right buttons, the donations will keep coming. But he’s got to show me.

Peri Winkle on August 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

It was Twitter.

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Weekend started out very well indeed DS

Hawkdriver has a good one : R2/012

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Romney opposed the auto bailout. I agree a normal bankruptcy would have left a stronger GM. Its stock is falling now that Japan doesn’t have a tsunami to deal with.

KW64 on August 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

PS..R & R 2012!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Once R & R get in office…

I am planning on taking some R & R…
Working two jobs to pay for Obama’s New World is taking its toll…

Electrongod on August 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

What is the scoop on Todd Akin???..Can he win Senate seat?..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

He can win, and he should win, but I think it is safe to say Claire has her best chance against him. He has a record, and she’ll do her best to paint him as extreme. And he really is conservative and very driven by social issues, and that can be used with independents.

On the plus side, he is very polished. He’s not going to let Claire off the hook for Obamacare. He doesn’t shy away from his beliefs but doesn’t have the tendency to come across as a crackpot with it. He’s the best communicator of the 3 IMO, but also has the long record to run ads on.

The rural areas will like him fine, and the cities won’t, and that’s nothing new. I think once it’s all said and done, he’ll benefit hugely from representing a big portion of St. Louis county, where about 20% of the state vote resides, and usually falls right around 50/50.

stldave on August 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Weekend started out very well indeed DS

Hawkdriver has a good one : R2/012

cmsinaz on August 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Good deal!..That is a good one by Hawkdriver..I like it..:)

PS.R2/2012..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

there’s another thing that AP forgot…not only the third rail stuff…but teachers Unions…explicitly

Now for every teacher, school admin, assistant teacher, janitor..and their extended families, thems fighting words.

r keller on August 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

What planet are these libs living on ? Even though the American electorate voted the biggest nothing in history into office in 2008, I have every faith that any person with a double digit I.Q. can see the difference between what R&R have to offer and what the liar in chief is selling. I’m not worried.

BettyRuth on August 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

stldave on August 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Thanks for the scoop!!..I don’t think a lot of folks saw this coming..I hope he can crush Claire..:)

PS..Go Todd Akin!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Obama was the one who first proposed slashing Medicare to get Obamacare through. He was proud of that. Happy with it.

If Democrats want to make an issue of Medicare, they will have to disavow Obama, himself, the to propose cutting Medicare and putting it underbus.

ajacksonian on August 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

And… this gem

*sigh*

Violina23 on August 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Maybe you should go to bed and cover your head until Nov. 6.

With your attitude, seems there is no hope for you.

Barred on August 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Maybe I’m just dense or something, but I don’t get the narrative that’s being spun by the media or even around here. Since ive been alive, every single presidential campaign involving an incumbent has been about the performance of the incumbent. But this time, suddenly the CW is that Obama doesn’t have to do a thing except attack and attack; he has a complete pass on having to defend anything, and it’s up to Romney and Ryan to fend off the negatives. Why in the HEdoublehockeysticks are we playing by these rules?? Ryan somehow changes the strategy for Romney? Excuse me, Obama’s been F’ing up the country for four years; he hasn’t proven he’s worthy to be president of a banana republic. It’s up to HIM to demonstrate otherwise. Regardless of who Romney picked, THAT should be the $@*%#+# narrative!

Erich66 on August 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I am planning on taking some R & R…
Working two jobs to pay for Obama’s New World is taking its toll…

Electrongod on August 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I hear you!..I was thinking it was going to be Jindal But I’m very much ok it was Ryan!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Mitt Romney Announces Paul Ryan As VP Running Mate
Mitt Romney in Manassas, Virginia
**********************************

Video:(34:42)

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

What is the scoop on Todd Akin???..Can he win Senate seat?..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yes, I don’t think he’ll have a problem. He’s a strong social conservative, McCaskill will try to make him seem reactionary, but there’s no chance she’ll move any GOPers into her column and she’ll lose. And the grassroots will yell a lot over the next six years about Akin votes. That’s about it.

alwaysfiredup on August 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Erich66 on August 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Hopefully the GOP can make that crystal clear!..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

And I can say with no doubt, middle class families and seniors in my home state of Florida want no part of a Romney-Ryan economic scheme that puts millionaires ahead of Medicare and throws the middle class under the bus to give more tax breaks to the wealthy.

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

It’s so cute the way Debbie the Delusional thinks she speaks for every senior and middle class family in FL. Time for me to send her a tweet letting her know she doesn’t.

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

alwaysfiredup on August 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Thanks for the scoop!..I hope he crushes Claire..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

posted at 6:31 pm on August 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

I never thought that about Romney. Never, ever. In the world of wanting to be President, versus wanting to do something as President, I figured Mitt wanted to do a Bain on us, for the better. Obama’s the one who wants to “be” President. AllahPundit you and I just don’t see eye to eye on this.

Paul-Cincy on August 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Obama Depression: “Happy Days Are Here, Again!”

M2RB: Chic

Resist We Much on August 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

How is the Ryan pick going over on twitter??..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

SouthernGent on August 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I thought Ryan had proposed setting up accounts where each individual owns the money in his account, but I looked here and I didn’t see anything but what looks like tinkering at the margin.

Have a look and let me know what you think. Maybe I’m wrong.

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM