Paul Ryan, yesterday and today

posted at 9:31 am on August 11, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Now that the question is settled as to the Veep selection, it’s a good time to see what we’re getting for our election dollar. (And don’t forget, America’s Comeback Team is still accepting donations for the battle to come.) A couple of items to digest this weekend follow. First, a few excerpts from Ryan’s comments during the announcement.

For the last 14 years, I have proudly represented Wisconsin in Congress. There, I have focused on solving the problems that confront our country, and turning ideas into action; and action into solutions.

I am committed, in mind and heart, to putting that experience to work in a Romney Administration. This is a crucial moment in the life of our nation; and it is absolutely vital that we select the right man to lead America back to prosperity and greatness.

That man is standing next to me. His name is Mitt Romney. And he will be the next president of the United States

Let me say a word about the man Mitt Romney will replace. No one disputes President Obama inherited a difficult situation. And, in his first 2 years, with his party in complete control of Washington, he passed nearly every item on his agenda. But that didn’t make things better.

In fact, we find ourselves in a nation facing debt, doubt and despair.

This is the worst economic recovery in 70 years.

Unemployment has been above 8 percent for more than three years, the longest run since the Great Depression. Families are hurting.

We have the largest deficits and the biggest federal government since WW II.

Nearly 1 out of 6 Americans are in poverty–the worst rate in a generation. Moms and dads are struggling to make ends meet.

Household incomes have dropped by more than $4,000 over the past four years.

Whatever the explanations, whatever the excuses, this is a record of failure.

Next, let’s jump into the time machine and revisit a couple of Ryan’s greatest hits in video form. First up, a speech he gave to Heritage last year.

And next, his speech at CPAC from earlier this year.

Additional reading: Doug Mataconis weighs the pros and cons of Ryan.

I suppose the first question I have there is whether this is going to work with the American public. Poll after poll has been telling us for the better part of the year that the number one issue in November is going to be the economy and jobs. The latest round of economic statistics suggests that the importance of these issues in the minds of voters are going to be even more important in the minds of voters. If the Romney/Ryan ticket begins to shift the focus of its message from the economy to the fiscal situation in Washington, though, are voters going to see the connection between those long-term issues and the short-term issue of the state of the economy and where the jobs are going to come from?

Discuss at your leisure.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Personally, I would have preferred to be led/guarded by Attila The Hun and Genghis Khan, but I’ll take these two as a good consolation prize.

OldEnglish on August 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Do that, bright boy.

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Awww butthurt troll is butthurt :-(

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A huge final step in sealing Obama’s victory.

“Yep.”

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Dude, you’re sad.

Obama’s Approval Rating: New Low for 2012

Seriously. Cherish the memories.

cynccook on August 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

James Carville is complaining that Paul Ryan didn’t wear a tie. I take that to mean they have nothing on this pick.

darkegop on August 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Does Skeletor ever point that out when it’s Bury, who almost never wears a tie at campaign events.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Pack your clubs, Obama.

faraway on August 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Actually, can we switch the debates and have Ryan with Obama? I’d like to see Obama blow a fuse live on national television.

Dongemaharu on August 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I hope they’re ready. The dems are going to come after them like wolves.
Other than that, I kinda wanted Jindal to get but I really do like Ryan. He’s not afraid and he sticks to the message.

RadioAngel on August 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Is anyone else sensing a little fear from bifidis?

Lol!!

wolly4321 on August 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

A huge final step in sealing Obama’s victory.

“Yep.”

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Good morning Troll! come November, i’ll be touching the voting screen circle next to Romney/Ryan. EAT IT!

GhoulAid on August 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Please don’t tell us you are gonna continue to c & p this post on every thread today. Please??

a capella on August 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

There won’t be one question that Paul Ryan can’t answer, that must scare you to death.

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Do that, bright boy.

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

The despair is deep in this one…

lovingmyUSA on August 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

“for the first time in my adult life (well at least since 2008) I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.”

-Me (and somebody else said that too…can’t remember exactly who it was)

Wine_N_Dine on August 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The despair is deep in this one…

lovingmyUSA on August 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Yep. Anguish , fear, and jealousy, when the Biden comparison comes to mind.

a capella on August 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Try going to mittromney.com to donate — they’re site keeps crashing! :D Try mittromneyin2012.com instead.

cynccook on August 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Dongemaharu on August 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think we’ll get the same effect with Ryan just being on the ticket. King Barry has hated him with a white hot hate ever since Ryan dropped an aircraft carrier on him at the healthcare summit.

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Say, where’d our little troll friend go all of a sudden? :(

cynccook on August 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I said this yesterday, but this VP pick guarantees a mandate for the Ryan Budget plan.

faraway on August 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

We need to start bookmarking the comments of clowns like this ↑↑↑ to repost on 11/7. It will make King Barry’s defeat that much sweeter.

Kataklysmic on August 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Do that, bright boy.

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Done.

CW on August 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

RadioAngel on August 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Have seen several interview clips with Ryan, today, and heard him sort of giggle, and say that he’s been dealing with what the left has thrown at him, FOR YEARS !
me: hey, ya don’t school the prez in 6 minutes (at budget committee mtg) and NOT get hammered.
Methinks they’re well prepared.
Granted, it’ll get brutal, but I have faith.

pambi on August 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

cynccook on August 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Dollars are trying to flow in faster than the system will allow. Good for us! Meanwhile, Barry tries to auction off three dollar lottery tickets to have lunch with the First Family.

a capella on August 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hey, check out the comments to this article in the NEW YORKER—they are SKEWERING the writter!!!!

lovingmyUSA on August 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

IOWAHAWK: “Paul Ryan represent Obama’s most horrifying nightmare: math.”

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Lol. This election has turned into a yawnfest. Ryan was the final pill.

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Gee, sort of like your lame talking points, huh?

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m good… he’s brilliant, sharp as a tack and quick on his feet.. he brings passion and he’s young… the left wing anchors are going to hate interviewing him, because he doesn’t suffer uneducated fools gladly.

so, I expect the democrat reaction to be bitterly savage and about as truthful as an Iranian ambassador… combined with Saddam’s spokesman. They’ll be describing their victory as the Romney/Ryan ticket is rolling their M1A2 over their cars in the parking lot behind him…

seriously… the democrats will go full sewer rat, they have nothing else.. not that we haven’t already seen how low they can go.. I’d expect that tempo to increase till the money runs out.

I’m just curious,.. will Obama’s concession speech be gracious,.. healing, or a bitter nasty smear job full of excuses and we was robbed accusations?

Hard to tell if Obama is intelligent enough to know how badly the second will serve his legacy..

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thanks angrymike… :-)

There are those here who are pointing out Ryans past voting history, just step back for a moment, think about it, cuz we all know in politics they sometimes have to ‘play’ along to ‘get’ along.

What is past is past, some of those things can be changed down the road.

In my heart of hearts, I have to believe the man and take him at his word, and hope that Ryan is an honourable man of his word!

The alternative of 4 more years of O, would be a disaster…

Lets get behind both and make this a great election for not only us as individuals, but for our nation as a whole!

It is sink or swim time…

Scrumpy on August 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

IOWAHAWK: “Paul Ryan represent Obama’s most horrifying nightmare: math.”

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I love that!!

txmomof6 on August 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Oh I’m not taking anything for granted, we can’t afford too… we’ll have to work like Hell, and still pray like Judgement Day is the day after tomorrow.. they’ll not stop at anything.. and I mean anything to win.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

If HotAirheads are thrilled about Paul Ryan, it’s a lock: four more years of Barry. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

bifidis on August 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Really, what was Romney thinking when he chose Ryan? He had to have known that he would lose the senior vote because so many of them hate Ryan’s budget plan.

Oh, wait…

A new Gallup/USA Today poll contains a counterintuitive finding: the age group most receptive to House Budget Chair Paul Ryan’s plan to deal with the budget – seniors.

The poll finds 48 percent of seniors (those 65 and over) support Ryan’s plan over President Obama’s plan, while 42 percent back the president. Source

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Just do it.

wolly4321 on August 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Lol. This election has turned into a yawnfest. Ryan was the final pill.

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yet you still showed up. Hmmm.

CW on August 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My favorite from Iowahawk this a.m.:

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog
Biden’s gonna need a bigger drool bucket on his Rascal scooter. #VPdebate #meepmeep

cynccook on August 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

IOWAHAWK: “Paul Ryan represent Obama’s most horrifying nightmare: math.”

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I love that!!

txmomof6 on August 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

LOL….. did he even show up for those classes?… I mean there are only so many choom hours in a day…

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Buddahpundit on August 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Lol. This election has turned into a yawnfest. Ryan was the final pill.

promachus on August 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What do you expect? A Jay Leno monolog? Sometimes serious issues just lack excitement. If you are suggesting that the candidates lack charisma, just remember, both Kennedy and Clinton had charisma and both sucked as presidents. I would rather have substance.

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I want to stay and comment, but I am having such terrible issues with either HA or my PC! Have run scan after scan… so many times I cannot see the comments, and my pc is like so sloooooow!

I have not detected a virus but have had plenty of warnings!

I am gonna lurk and come back in later…

Keep it real folks!!!

God Bless everyone…

Scrumpy on August 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

If you’ve been in Congress for the last 14 years, what, exactly do you have to be proud of? Just sayin’.

Galtian on August 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Yes, but you’re an adult, so you don’t count.

OldEnglish on August 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Yeah,.. I’m on SSD.. 53 years old.. not a senior quite yet,.. but I depend on social security and I like the seniors in the poll understand, there has to be reform, or there will be nothing left to allow the democrats to demagogue. They played that card too often, and we can read,.. the programs are near collapse if nothing is done.

Work injury.. spinal fractures.. never expected to be fully retired at 51,.. but.. you do what you have to to feed your kids and survive.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Democrat response, Iowahawk:

Damned he’s good!

wolly4321 on August 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Scrumpy on August 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Ryan killed the Internets

faraway on August 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Man, the libtard trolls have really mobilized this morning, with the just-released DNC talking points in their hot little hands. And they sound just as silly as ever.

Moose Drool on August 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Scrumpy on August 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Please don’t ask me to ignore his….career. He talks a good game, and I hope he can deliver on some of this stuff, working with Romney for some fiscal responsibility. But I can’t excuse his terrible votes or pretend they didn’t happen. Since when have conservatives respected intentions more than actions?

Dongemaharu on August 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Yes, but you’re an adult, so you don’t count.

OldEnglish on August 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I also commit the sin of having a job in (gasp) the oil industry and am one of the 53% of wage earners who actually pay taxes. I am, obviously, disqualified.

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

As I told that DEMwit, inthemiddle, last night, the seniors that I know, like myself, are more concerned about what the boy king is doing to our grandchildren’s future, than to fall for the lie that “Republican’s will throw granny off a cliff.”

What people like inthemiddle can’t possibly understand because it would involve putting someone else’s welfare above their own, is that I would voluntarily throw myself off a cliff, if it helped make my grandchildren’s future more secure.

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Shame on you! :)

OldEnglish on August 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I’m in the defense industry. Hard to tell which one of us works in an area that is more demonized by the left.

Moose Drool on August 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I am also a fascist. DAT60A3=Dumb Ass Tanker M-60A3 tanks. I was an Army CPT.

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Here’s the negatives as I see for Ryan.

Mediscaring up the butt from Team Obama. If Romney can kill a steelworkers wife, Ryan will wipe out an entire generation of old folks since rationing wont be allowed to be discussed.

Doesn’t expand the base at all. Sure it will fire up the conservative base, but was that really going to be an issue? If your choices for dinner guests are Freddy Krueger or the guy who wont shut up, you’re going to let someone else choose Freddy?

Ryan might actually fire up the dem base a little bit.

Ryan can’t make an argument in 30 seconds. You’ll have to hope like anything that people will bypass football to pay attention to Ryan on TV.

Zaggs on August 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Flora Duh on August 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

agreed… I started my family late.. didn’t even marry till I was 37.. had our two children, I was 39 and then 41.. so I’m the oldest dad at the bus stop, and often get asked are those your grandkids?.. when we’re out together. but,,, I couldn’t marry just to do it, and waited till Miss Right came along,.. now, I can’t imagine life without her.. and our girl and boy…

I’d easily, easily step in front of a bullet for them, so I understand you completely.. My primary concern has always been, making their future better than mine was,.. a parent’s firs second and last concern HAS to be their welfare.. if not, you don’t deserve them..

Times were awful, before my pension was approved, my wife worked like a dog,.. and we stayed with family.. but there were many times, I skipped dinner so the kids got enough to eat.. I cooked, cleaned, scrubbed.. anything to not be useless to them,.. even when I threw up from the pain,.. I couldn’t be useless, not for them.. and I carry a truckload of guilt from those years, even if it was an accident, they didn’t deserve to have it so hard..

Now, we’re doing fine, and even helping other family who need it.. we have to look after each other, family is the first and best support system.. and the church did help too.. and God.. always God, got us through, when things looked hopeless, there was always a guardian angel there who helped us when we were desperate…

I understand you, I do… so mamny helped along the way.. and my way of saying thank you to God, is to help those who really truly need it whenever I can.. family,,, sometimes a stranger.. but we have to be like this.. or what’s the point?… The government doesn’t have empathy, people do..

yeah.. too much.. but it goes to, we aren’t all wealthy, pampered republicans.. many many of us, made it by the grace of God and family.

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I am also a fascist. DAT60A3=Dumb Ass Tanker M-60A3 tanks. I was an Army CPT.

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Righteous…

My Uncle Al.. the man who I respected as much as my father, was a tanker as well.. M-48′s Vietnam..

armor rocks..

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I have great respect and admiration for those who served, especially in Vietnam. My Dad was there twice and I grew up on Army posts surrounded by these great people.

DAT60A3 on August 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Dude, you’re sad.

Obama’s Approval Rating: New Low for 2012

Seriously. Cherish the memories.

cynccook on August 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

You mean new low since June 2012?

He was a point lower in January.

It is interesting this recent drop and rise in disapproval. But probably statistical noise.

Regardless Mitt has to win this or not. He can not at all depend on Obama losing it. Approval is high enough that unless Mitt wins this Obama will. Like it or not Obama is known Mitt unknown. Either he gives Americans a real reason to vote for him or they will in fact keep Obama.

So far Mitt is NO SALE.

Ryan is not a bold choice and will help little except perhaps in Wisconsin. Bold would have been Gingrich or Santorum or if he really likes Wisconsin for some reason Walker. Though Walker is weak in experience though his second win might have made up for that.

Steveangell on August 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

mark81150 on August 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

He will never concede. He will keep filing lawsuits and demanding recounts and offering up post-election ballots that he demands be counted until the supreme court and then the army after his term expires order that he vacate the white house; and even then we will hear forever how it was stolen from him and Romney is not a legitimate president just like the progressives did with Bush after 2000.

KW64 on August 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

When I see and watch Paul Ryan’s CPAC speech, I find myself thinking that I’m watching Jack Ryan.

It’s just me, I’m sure.

njcommuter on August 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

It’s just me, I’m sure.

njcommuter on August 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Nope. I also read Executive Orders. the capability and honesty seems to emanate from him in waves, doesn’t it? Now we have cynics saying, “It has to be a lie.”

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on August 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

One of the things that I love about the Ryan selection is that Paul Ryan knows where Congress has buried the bodies. He has been involved in the national budget for his entire career.

Mitt is an outsider and will benefit tremendously from Ryan who knows what/when/why and how all the shady deals have been made. He will be invaluable in helping to determine which ones can be cut and which ones to put off for another day, because he knows exactly whose ox would be gored.

This kind of inside information is not the stuff of campaign ads or stump speeches, but it will be incredibly useful in helping Mitt to govern starting in January.

MJBrutus on August 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

IOWAHAWK: “Paul Ryan represent Obama’s most horrifying nightmare: math.”

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Iowahawk rules! The man’s a certified genius :-)

MJBrutus on August 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM