Paul Ryan and the 2nd Amendment

posted at 3:30 pm on August 11, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Normally, when you see Paul Ryan’s name crop up in terms of policy debate, it tends to be in the area of the economy. (Not terribly surprising, being the head of the budget committee and a widely recognized fiscal policy wonk.) But the man has been on the scene for quite a while and certainly has opinions on other issues of concern to voters. So where does Mitt Romney’s new running mate stand on the issues of gun owners rights, hunting and the associated freedoms that Americans enjoy? Well, for one thing, he’s got an A rating from the NRA.

Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers.
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse.
Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1.
National cross-state standard for concealed carry.

How does he feel about hunting in general? Mitt has been the recipient of some ribbing over his “hunting varmints” comments. Even though this particular shot was from bow hunting season, it’s clear that Ryan prefers larger game.

Paul Ryan Hunting 2

The Virginia Shooting Sports Association was quick to weigh in.

Mitt Romney has chosen Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate. Ryan brings a strong budgetary background to the ticket but also brings a strong record of support for the Second Amendment. Sportsmen and hunters will also relate to Ryan’s love of hunting and fishing, something that is very popular in his native Wisconsin. Ryan regularly posts photos from his hunting trips on his Facebook page. Now is the time to go “All In” and work hard to Defend Freedom and Defeat Obama.

There’s really not much in the way of “nuance” here. Ryan is, by all accounts, a physical fitness enthusiast, an avid hunter and an uncompromising champion of the second amendment rights of citizens. No squeamishness, no compromise, no blurred lines. If that’s something of interest to you in the candidates on a presidential ticket, file it away for further use.

Our next task will be to ask Mr. Ryan… where do you find all these huge deer???

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Heads UP Alert!
****************

@andreamsaul tweeted:

andreamsaul
Just passed $2 million raised since @MittRomney announced @PaulRyanVP #RomneyRyan2012

42 mins ago from twitter.com by editor
==========================================

Romney and Ryan to hold a ‘homecoming’ rally in Wisconsin at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday night – @GingerGibson

1 hour ago by editor

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Legend, the link you provided has a transposed number in it. It’s worse than you thought.

The bill passed by 261 to 116, not by 216/116, which makes it even worse.

Look at who the co-sponsers are: Lugar, McConnell, Alexander, Snow of course, and other weasels.

Schumer is the author and these are the co-sponsoring fascists:

Sen. Lamar Alexander [R, TN]
Sen. John Reed [D, RI]
Sen. Harry Reid [D, NV]
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

4-5 ?

Bmore on August 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I have a feeling Virginia just jumped to the right quite a bit.

Not so purple anymore?

Bat Chain Puller on August 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

These pictures of Mr. Ryan with the deer he had hunted…and bow hunted…will play well with the blue collar guys (union & non-union)and their families…the ones Mr. Obama has abandoned….you know those bitter clingers…The blue collar families in Ohio, Pennsylvania Michigan,Iowa, New Mexico, Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Virginia, Wisconsin…I am sure some of you can add more states to this list…

BOOM!

DVPTexFla on August 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, he voted Yea.
Schadenfreude on August 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM

The bill passed by 261 to 116, not by 216/116, which makes it even worse.
Schadenfreude on August 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Figures.

Yeah, get all euphoric over a Big Government / expanding Executive Branch Power hack, you suckers.

I wonder if he knew he was going to get the VP pick when he voted for this unconstitutional expanse of EP when he voted for it. Maybe he figured that he would get a chance to use it himself someday, and that it was worth the risk that it could be used against him and his constituents.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Average 200 fatalities a year in NYS and about 50,000 deer auto hits a year here in NYS; Insurance companies and Game Management work to keep the population down or deer would be all over the place and it wouldn’t be safe to drive anywhere. There are many deer in the parks within city limits that have become problems for residents. Thank the hunters to keep them under control.

mixplix on August 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

5 – 4 ?

Bmore on August 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

We’re going to have an adult discussion about economic issues. We’ll hear the normal screeds but there will be questions that will require Obama to come up with answers on reforming the budget, which Geithner has already said they have no long term solution for. All he could say is they didn’t like Ryan’s.

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Here’s hoping you are right but my “spideysense” (see what I did there) is that we’ll hear more from prostitutes like Sandra Fluke. We’ll hear more about Romney causing cancer. We’ll see the leader of the enemy giving away our society to keep him in power and his broad-beamed wife in taxpayer funded lobster tails and plane rides.

You can’t have a discussion on some of these fundamental issues when the enemy is more concerned about whether or not you opponent shaved some kid’s head back in the late 1960′s.

Happy Nomad on August 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Oh, additionally, if you’d actually read the entire article and not just the headline and the comments, you’d know that it includes a list of legislative items Ryan vote on – with a link to the full table – which have everything to do with the 2nd Amendment and nothing to do with hunting.

Again… carry on.

Jazz Shaw on August 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I know someone like you. He says here’s the deer, I’ve got pork but I found this (still warm) doe on the road.

You eat roadkill – own it.

Tbh no one realizes.

CorporatePiggy on August 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

LOL!
Actually, there is no need.
I eat my own beef. Which is better than deer.
And since there are plenty of live deer in my yard to shoot where I can pick a tasty fat critter that wasn’t terrified before it died, I would say road kill is not necessary.
But if I were starving, I would not be above it.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

So, who you voting for to change America?
Ron Paul?
Or is it Gary Johnson?
Just wondering how you think that’s going to work out.
Bcs either one, or any other will in truth, be a vote for Obama.
You & Steve should get together & vote for Obama.
See how that works out.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Romney-Ryan rally planned for Waukesha Sunday night
Updated: 4:10 p.m.
==================

A rally featuring presumptive Republican nominees Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will be held Sunday evening beginning at 6:05 p.m. at the Waukesha County Expo, 1000 Northview Road.

Doors will open at 4 p.m. The event is expected to begin at 6:05 p.m.

The two running mates will be coming from North Carolina.

The Romney campaign has posted a website to register for tickets. Here is the link to the site.

The campaign has not yet released details of the rally.

================================================

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

He appears to have been bow hunting in this 2nd Amendment photo.

claudius on August 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Wow you’re smart.

Even though this particular shot was from bow hunting season, it’s clear that Ryan prefers larger game.-Jazz Shaw from the post.

CW on August 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM

It’s a very nice hunting photo, but I’m simply pointing out that a bow hunting doesn’t really illustrate anything specifically about the 2nd Amendment. Neither does a gun hunting photo for that matter. The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting.

Having said that, I’m very happy that Ryan is a hunter, and very glad that he is on the ticket.

claudius on August 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

2012 elections

Supporters in Manassas, Va. hold new Romney/Ryan placards at rally – @kasie

8 mins ago from instagram.com by editor

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

omg! ryan killed bambi and he teaming up with the dog on the car roof guy! lol!

nathor on August 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Huh, not many hunters here at HA, I suppose.

Bmore on August 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

You know better than that Badger.

You have been around here long enough to know I think Ron Paul is a loon.

And while I haven’t been as noisy about it as with Paul, that while I liked Johnson as a governor, and would vote for him if he wanted to run for the US Senate, He would make about as good a president as Moonbeam Brown.

I have NO horses in this race.

I’m just trying to make sure that people know exactly what they are voting for. I don’t tell anyone who to vote for. I just want everyone to be ready for the inevitable knife in the back from the ones they do support.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I’m just trying to make sure that people know exactly what they are voting for.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Gee, thanks.

But I’m not obliged to consider you an authority on the subject.

Bat Chain Puller on August 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I’m just trying to make sure that people know exactly what they are voting for.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Does that include Obama?

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Bat Chain Puller on August 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Nope, you are not. Neither are you obliged to research and learn the truth for yourself.

itsspideyman on August 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Of course. But if you need me to tell you what 0bama is, does and will do, you are beyond any help.

And if you care to read back, my original post in this thread was about another one of 0bama’s newest usurpation of Constitutional power. That Ryan voted to allow it is just a sad coincidence.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I have NO horses in this race.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I’m skeptical of them all.
But I’m hopeful.
And it would be nice for others to start spreading some hopeful comments around as well.
I think it’s pointless to harp on these guys now.
Let’s make them change things for the better.
And let us be positive about it.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Conservative: What a nice rack.

Liberal: MUUUUUURDERER!

hawkdriver on August 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Heh.

BallisticBob on August 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Le Oops!!

Mitt Romney Chooses Paul Ryan as VP: Hollywood Reacts
10:08 AM PDT 8/11/2012
**********************

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Gee, I wonder how Savior Ryan voted on this bill:

The law now allows Obama and future presidents to name appointees to senior positions in every branch of the administration, from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security without Senate confirmation.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Maybe it’s time to worry less about being able to name appointees and worry more about why there are so many “senior” positions to begin with. God knows we need all the Associate Deputy Assistants to the Undersecretary we can get.

Nutstuyu on August 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Conservative: What a nice rack.

Liberal: MUUUUUURDERER!

hawkdriver on August 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

hawkdriver:Oh Gawd too funny,and Nice Points,haha!:)

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

But I’m hopeful….
Let’s make them change things for the better.
Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Hope and Change… Hmm, where have I heard that before, seems familiar ;-)

And let us be positive about it.

An optimist sees the glass as half full. That is considered positive thinking.

A pessimist sees the glass as half empty. That, considered negative thinking.

An engineer sees that the glass is the wrong size. The chemist recognizes that what is in the glass is poisonous.

Just think of me as the engineer and the chemist in the room, at the same time.

I’ve always liked you Badger, thought you were one of the wisest ones here . But on this, I’m sorry, I can’t summon any hope for the long term survival of this nation, given what the electorate at large have saddled us with on every side.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well I can’t either.
But had it ever occurred to you to try & invoke change in good people?
I believe Romney & Ryan are good men.
And if that is true, then we as a nation, led by the Tea Party, can get these men to see our side of things.

I personally have been feeling lost. I get bitter about it sometimes.
But I like Paul Ryan as a person from what I’ve seen & like Reagan, I think they love this country.
Besides, it’s the Democrats in Congress & RINOs there all the way down to our local levels is who we REALLY need to be worried aobut.
I think these 2 guys can give us the pep other people need to get off of their lazy a$$e$ & actually do something.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Huh, not many hunters here at HA, I suppose.

Bmore on August 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I’m more of a varmint person, prairie dogs mostly. This summers events were cut short when my rifle blew up while sighting it in.

/yeah, not fun. Nobody hurt, Ruger is assessing it to figure out what happened. Factory ammunition only, so it wasn’t a handload issue.

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM

There were a lot of people back in 1776 who thought the Patriots were fighting a losing cause.
Good thing the Patriots didn’t give up.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Jazz Shaw on August 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Agreed.
In fact, it’s not widely known, but the Second amendment was originally proposed as the “right to keep and bear arms and go grocery shopping”.

justltl on August 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Good thing! Yikes.
A good friend ranches down on the Grand River in Little Eagle SD.
He has tons of prairie dogs. They’re ridiculous.
I am so glad where I live is too sandy for them to bother.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Nutstuyu on August 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Really need to know the details of this bill to understand how bad it really is. The fact Chuck U Schumer sponsored it is not encouraging. However, if this is only for senior level positions and below, but not for directors, this may be a positive thing. Think of Romney or another Republican winning and being able to avoid filibuster to get his administration in place vs. the cluster that Bush had to endure.

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Then perhaps you need to go sit on the sidelines, stop spreading doom-and-gloom, and get out of the way of us who have not given up.

Yoop on August 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I believe I read that Ryan has his CCW, in WI, and took classes in Racine.

To somehow imply that he is a “fud” and not Pro-2A is just silly. It really shows how eager some folks are to avoid admitting how good of a balance he adds to the ticket.

Now, if all the Ron Paul fans can be “big tent” enough, we can all move forward and avoid a 2nd Obama term.

Or would you prefer that to Romney-Ryan? Sometimes I wonder…

FancyFred on August 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM

A good friend ranches down on the Grand River in Little Eagle SD.
He has tons of prairie dogs. They’re ridiculous.
I am so glad where I live is too sandy for them to bother.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM

When I was growing up, there was one place on the highway that had a town. We never did. After I left home, some took root on Dad’s place. Have been trying to help get rid of them for the past 10 to 12 years. He’s poisoned them, have had gun clubs come out and shoot, he got a Varmit Getter but they are just out of control. Very destructive critters.

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Ruger 77 ?

listens2glenn on August 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Huh, not many hunters here at HA, I suppose.

Bmore on August 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I hunt varmints and coyotes.

The deer just frolic and gambol all over the place on our property. A doe around these parts can run to 300 pounds easy. I never knew till I moved out here that deer herds are territorial outside of mating season.

The “Front Forest Bambis” outnumber the “Back Creek Hoods” herd … but one “Back Creek Hood” deer can cause three of the “Front Forest Bambis” to scatter. It is a jungle out there!

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I saw that once. Under-charged factory load left a round in the barrel and the muffled report got overlooked because of other noise on the range. Next round peeled the barrel back like flower petals. But that’s a pretty rare occurrence.

Also saw a gun a friend had that he claimed was damaged by an over-charged factory round. The receiver had a pretty good bulge from the ruptured case.

Yoop on August 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Yoop on August 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Yeah. Just like those damned old Meteorologists who warn of a hurricane where people want to go on a picnic. I wish they would just shut up and let us enjoy the thoughts of a sunny day.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Statements!
===========

Senator John McCain Statement on the Selection of Congressman Paul Ryan as Mitt Romney’s Vice Presidential Running Mate
—————————————————–

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN: MITT ROMNEY AND PAUL RYAN WILL RETURN AMERICA TO PROSPERITY

Boston, MA – Senator John McCain today made the following statement on the selection of Congressman Paul Ryan as Mitt Romney’s Vice Presidential running mate:

“Governor Romney and Representative Ryan are the strongest team to return America to prosperity and to defend our interests abroad. Paul Ryan has proven that he is fully prepared to address our nation’s economic challenges, which have only worsened over the last four years under the Obama-Biden Administration. I look forward to working for the election of the Romney-Ryan team this fall.”
******

Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) Statement on the Selection of Congressman Paul Ryan as Mitt Romney’s Vice Presidential Running Mate
——

Boston, MA – Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) today made the following statement on the selection of Congressman Paul Ryan as Mitt Romney’s Vice Presidential running mate:

“Paul Ryan is a reformer and a proven leader who will be a great partner to Governor Romney in his efforts to get our country, and our economy, back on track. At a time when millions of Americans are still looking at President Obama’s policies and asking ‘where are the jobs?’ Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney will focus on common sense solutions to stop Washington from spending money it doesn’t have and get the federal government out of the way of small business job creators.

“I’m proud to call Paul Ryan a friend, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that he and Mitt Romney – along with our entire Republican ticket – are well positioned to win in November.”
*******************************************************************

Democratic National Committee Statement on Mitt Romney Naming Congressman Paul Ryan as his Running Mate
——————————————

DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Romney-Ryan Economics Would be a Disaster for Seniors and the Middle Class

Washington, DC – Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz released the following statement today on Mitt Romney naming Congressman Paul Ryan as his running mate:

“Today, Mitt Romney named Congressman Paul Ryan as his pick for Vice President. Congressman Ryan has been called a serious person, but he, like Mitt Romney has seriously flawed ideas for our economy that have only failed us in the past.

“Congressman Ryan laid the groundwork in Congress for Mitt Romney’s budget-busting scheme that gives an additional $250,000 tax cut for millionaires while punishing middle-class families with tax hikes of up to $2,000 a year. This tried and failed trickle-down economics scheme is familiar and troubling: cuts to education and other job creating initiatives, ending Medicare as we know it and saddling our seniors with the bill all to pay for more tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. And I can say with no doubt, middle class families and seniors in my home state of Florida want no part of a Romney-Ryan economic scheme that puts millionaires ahead of Medicare and throws the middle class under the bus to give more tax breaks to the wealthy.

“The American middle-class and our seniors cannot afford to go back to the failed policies of the past, and it is unconscionable to ask them to foot the bill for the Romney-Ryan scheme. A Romney-Ryan ticket is sure to take us back and repeat the same catastrophic mistakes that got us into the mess we found ourselves in in the first place.”
========================

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Huh, not many hunters here at HA, I suppose.

Bmore on August 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Bmore:I’m a Partridge Murderer!:)

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

MeanWhile Team Blue Enters the Twighlight Zone!

@donnabrazile :

Please share my latest column.

Rep. Paul Ryan’s dangerous vision
***********************************

http://t.co/vpIpT9Jf #cnn

canopfor on August 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

BTW-that deer is not huge. It’s actually avg to small from the white tail and muleys I’ve seen on my property here in SW ND.
And I’ve got 2 muleys on my wall that would put his deer to shame.

Badger40 on August 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Are you near Mott?

8 weight on August 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

The deer just frolic and gambol all over the place on our property. A doe around these parts can run to 300 pounds easy. PolAgnostic on August 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

awe c’mon now! 300 pounds???

all that said, Ryan is a Wis boy living in corn country (not this year but weather is weather). up around here they actually close schools for the annual hunt!

teejk on August 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

MSM Headline: Ryan Kills Unarmed Deer!

Obama says: If I had a deer that looked into the headlights, it’d look like that deer.

profitsbeard on August 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Ruger 77 ?

listens2glenn on August 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM

SR-556. AR-15 with a scope on it. Have been using it the past two years for this. It’s probably good to 300+ yards; I’m good to about 200. Wasn’t a dud round causing barrel obstruction; I was sighting in after firing about 100 rounds of plinking ammunition and wanting to sight in the HSM Vmax rounds planned for prairie dogs. First round went downrange with no issue, sounded fine, ejected fine. Second round, got a pop and showered with particles. Bolt was blown back and split, magazine was blown off the rifle. Check with a cleaning rod found no obstructions in the barrel. Leaving it up to Ruger to determine root cause.

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I have NO horses in this race.

Of course not. You’re just going to sit in the back of the class and throw spitballs at everybody.

Nice.

What in God’s name would we do without you to tell us what to think?

For crying out loud get over yourself.

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Not to mention the knives in the back from you.

Tomblvd on August 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

You could see the Oh Sh*t in Obama’s eyes.

CW on August 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

All I could see was ‘Duh’.

Siddhartha Vicious on August 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Sounds like the bolt didn’t lock, eh?

justltl on August 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Or bad ammo.
Reloads?

justltl on August 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Bush?

justltl on August 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Conservative: What a nice rack.

Liberal: MUUUUUURDERER!

hawkdriver on August 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

heh

that’s a nice rack on that one.

ted c on August 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

cptacek on August 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Sounds like the bolt didn’t lock, eh?

justltl on August 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

First, to your second question, no, not reloads. This was HSM factory re-manufactured ammunition. Yes, reloads, but not home reloads, so that should not be a factor.

I kind of think your assessment may be what happened, or else the rifle had started to short cycle, initiating extraction before the round had completely fired. I think the latter is more likely (my opinion only, waiting for Ruger to make the determination). I’ve been having failure to extract issues, often requiring use of a cleaning rod to extract the fired cartridge. What I have read regarding that situation is that the timing is slightly off and that to fix that, one should change the gas setting to a lower setting (this is a gas piston system). However, nothing I read indicated that this could become a dangerous condition. If the gun had failed to go into battery, I would not expect the sear would have allowed the gun to fire.

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Damn, I picked the wrong day to go to the fair…
Ryan will be at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines Monday, the same day President Obama begins a three-day campaign trip across Iowa with stops in Council Bluffs and Boone.

lovingmyUSA on August 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Our next task will be to ask Mr. Ryan… where do you find all these huge deer???

He finds them in Wisconsin. Cold weather areas produce large whitetails because the heavier bodies favor survival in harsh conditions. Something most deer hunters know.

MikeA on August 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM

awe c’mon now! 300 pounds???

teejk on August 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

In the past 10+ years out here, yeah a 300 pound doe is not a rarity. My wife has clipped two and my son “head butted” one with his Chevy S10 near the house about 1:00 AM one night. The deer was still alive and he didn’t want to wake me to get a shotgun out of the safe (hidden key) so he grabbed an aluminum baseball bat …

Fortunately, his sister’s comment stopped that idea cold, “You just hit it with a 3,000 pound truck and didn’t kill it – what do you think your going to do with a 3 pound bat?”

The deer was dead by the time he got back to it, in any case.

One of the reasons we know the weight? The deer have gone through windshields killing vehicle occupants and the Sheriff’s Department weighs the animal’s carcass as part of their SOP.

They don’t close schools here because it would cost them too much in Federal funds (which are based on an Average Daily Attendance rate where Total Days in Session has a BIG effect on $$$).

We do have a recurring sickness which coincidentally matches up with the start of the various hunting periods (i.e. bow, muzzle loader, shotgun).

Darnedest thing, medical authorities are mystified. ;)

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM

MikeA on August 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I think AP is more familiar with duck and wabbit hunting seasons.

Be vewwwwwwwwy quiet ….

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Heh, that is so quintessentially a mom thing to say.

libfreeordie on August 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Only if the mom is awesome.

cptacek on August 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

He appears to have been bow hunting in this 2nd Amendment photo.

claudius on August 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

From the article……..

“Even though this particular shot was from bow hunting season, it’s clear that Ryan prefers larger game.”

Just above the photo, in fact.
Perhaps, if you read the article………………..

Solaratov on August 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I didn’t know Ruger made those.

But I certainly agree with your course of action.

(sorry, it took a while to catch your reply)

listens2glenn on August 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Just think of me as the engineer and the chemist in the room, at the same time.

Dude, seriously?

That’s pretty arrogant.

Even for the internets.

Howsabout you just get on the bandwagon and shut it? You can wail and gnash teeth after we win.

flashoverride on August 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Are you near Mott?

8 weight on August 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Sort of. I live on the Cannonball River.

Badger40 on August 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Darnedest thing, medical authorities are mystified. ;)

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I’ve noticed a lot fewer of my HS students are taking the 1st day of the season off.
But I encourage it. What better education than hunting?

Badger40 on August 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

But I encourage it. What better education than hunting?

Badger40 on August 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

The school district I graduated from had accepted the inevitable and made it policy. Bring in your tag and license the week before season and you could take the first day off without it ever going on your record as a missed day.
Was sort of an informal holiday week, as no tests were scheduled that week. Most of the male teachers and a couple of the female ones too would take a day or two off that week to go hunting.

Nathan_OH on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

The 2nd Amendment has absolutely NOTHING to do with our right to hunt. It is about protecting ourselves from a totalitarian government.

RightXBrigade on August 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Nathan_OH on August 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I know a lot of teachers get their panties in a wad about stuff like this.
If the kid keeps up with his work & studies, then it really isn’t my business what a kid does when he leaves screwl with parental permission.
Family time & with friends doing outdoor activities IMO is better than sitting in the classroom.

Badger40 on August 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM

RightXBrigade on August 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I’m guessing you didn’t read:

Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers.
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse.
Voted YES on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1.
National cross-state standard for concealed carry.

Do your homework. It is related.

Badger40 on August 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Do your homework. It is related.

Badger40 on August 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
I’m failing to see anything wrong, or extra-redundant about what RXB said.

That excerpt from Jazz Shaw doesn’t seem to have anything in it that would make RXB‘s comment unnecessary or wrong.

listens2glenn on August 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

You are laughable.

I don’t need your help Legend.

And I know what Obama is.

And I know what Ryan is.

And vote for Obama if you wish.

I’ll vote for freedom.

itsspideyman on August 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Next Obama SuperPAC ad: Ryan murdered Bambi’s father…

MarkT on August 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Eeeuuuh. Not a fan of bow-hunting. But am a fan of Ryan and his Medicare plan. He’s got a plan; all the Dems have is lies. They’re going to keep everyone dependent on Medicare but cut it anyway.

J.E. Dyer on August 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Re the photo of Ryan hunting with a bow, and it somehow being unrelated to the 2nd amendment….nowhere in that amendment is the term “arms” defined. The words “fire” or firearms” don’t appear in it.

runawayyyy on August 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM