Quotes of the day

posted at 10:06 pm on August 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is trying to shift into high gear, but elections experts say his campaign seems to be stuck in second

Given the ailing economy, Romney should be faring much better, political experts say…

Worse, political experts say, is the somber news for Romney that only 45% of those polled by CNN said that the economy would get better if Romney were elected — two percentage points below Obama’s number.

***

I could list other gloomy figures for Obama, but they all leave me with one question: So why is Obama still ahead in the polls? And not just in national polls, but also in key states that are needed for an Electoral College victory.

Shouldn’t Romney be wiping the floor with Obama? By the measurements Romney uses again and again in his speeches — prolonged high unemployment, a failed economy and the unpopularity of “Obamacare” — shouldn’t Americans be rallying around Romney by a significant majority by now?

After all, how long can Romney wait to catch fire? The election is only about three months away. True, Romney gets the opportunity to make a stirring convention speech — but so does Obama.

***

We are therefore witnessing a well-rehearsed and coordinated and almost balletic exercise in voter suppression, as Obama and his helpers spend hundreds of millions of dollars convincing middle America that Romney is a rich elitist who made a fortune in rapacious finance capitalism, and whose concern for the bottom line trumps transparency, compassion, and community. The objective of this campaign is to tie Romney down, Gulliver-like, with connections to the most lurid aspects of Bain Capital and the global economy, thereby hobbling his ability to make his case and dragooning white voters into apathy.

The chief objective of any candidate is to define himself positively and his opponent negatively. Romney has allowed the Obama team to define him in their terms. He has three opportunities—his vice presidential pick, his convention speech, and his performance in the debates—to seize the initiative and escape the fetters Obama has constructed. Failure to do so would leave this close election to chance. Romney risks John Kerry’s fate…

Mitt Romney did not kill Joe Soptic’s wife, but the Obama campaign is effectively killing Mitt Romney’s reputation. It may be ugly. It may be dishonest. But if it succeeds, like all killings it will be irrevocable.

***

The polls suggesting he’s seven or nine points behind are surely wrong, but given that there is only one national poll that shows him ahead, we have to presume Romney is behind. He should presume he’s behind. And given that there’s no good reason whatever for Obama to be leading, one can only presume that Romney’s strategy in July and now in August is not working

So here’s why he should be talking about other things, releasing plans, giving speeches on big topics — because it’s the only way he can control the discussion. If he says the same thing about the economy every single day, he bores. He provides nothing new for anyone to fix on. He has to feed the beast.

***

There’s no need for despair — many independent and uncommitted voters have yet to tune into the race, which still holds several influential milestone events (VP pick, conventions, debates, etc). But if these numbers don’t get significantly better within the next six weeks, it’ll be time to worry. The Weekly Standard’s Jay Cost argues that this race remains Romney’s to win. But the fact that he’s trailing or (best case) roughly tied at this stage means that his campaign must start making their moves. They need to make a sound running mate selection and nail the roll-out. They need to develop a strategy of countering the relentless tornado of attacks while still driving a meaningful and resonant message. They can’t merely rely on glum economic numbers to win the race; voters have grown accustomed to Obama’s great recession. Americans don’t like it, but they’re not sure if Romney would be any better. The spending geyser that will finally be allowed to legally burst after Romney is nominated will certainly help in this process, but Team Romney cannot allow the status quo to play out up until the convention. The other side is out of ideas, is playing dirty, and is winning. Romney bills himself as an accomplished problem-solver and turnaround artist. His biography bears that out. It’s time for a turnaround, governor.

***

When is the last time you heard what someone on the Romney campaign was saying and thought, “Geez, that’s pretty sharp. Smart insight. He/She is a pro.”

I’ve followed the Romney operation pretty closely and only two people I’ve come across inside the campaign really impressed me. One of them was shunted out the door in reasonably short order. The other one wasn’t brought on until fairly recently…

[I]t is pretty striking how a guy whose primary credential is his businessman’s ability to master an organization has surrounded himself with so many folks who seem to be more valued for something other than ability.

***

As influential as they are, Limbaugh, Coulter and Erickson don’t set the agenda for Republicans. But their reactions underscore the continued fragility of Romney’s relationship with the conservative world. When Romney hews to a strongly conservative line, he is fine. But when the former Massachusetts governor sends any signal — a poorly worded phrase, a staffer’s mistake — that sounds like something a conservative would not say, some of his critics on the right immediately recoil and say, “See — I knew he wasn’t one of us.”…

[T]he problem hasn’t gone away. And it will likely flare up again in the future, when Romney messes up the answer to a question or one of his aides mangles an appearance on television.

The worries expressed by Limbaugh, Coulter and Erickson aren’t nit-picking. They are concerns about the very nature of Mitt Romney and the people he has chosen to run his campaign. Maybe those concerns are mistaken or misdirected. But Limbaugh is right: At this moment, deep down, Republicans and conservatives are not united, not under Mitt Romney or anyone else.

***

A senior Romney advisor brushed off recent polls numbers that show Mitt Romney dragging behind President Obama, reminding reporters here today, “It’s the middle of the summer.”

“There have been three polls over the last 36 hours showing us down from anywhere from 6 to 9 points or so,” said the staffer, who declined to go on the record, during a briefing at campaign headquarters.

“Guys, it’s the middle of summer. It’s the doldrums. It’s the middle of the Olympics,” the advisor said. “There’s not been any national news, anything that would push these numbers from minus three to minus nine points. That’s a huge shift. You have to have some kind of precipitating event to move numbers like that.”

***

[C]oncern is one thing for Mr. Romney; panic would be another, and it is not yet warranted. If Mr. Obama is really ahead by somewhere in the mid-single digits, we should be seeing more confirmation of that in the coming days. More likely, this remains a two or three point race instead.

The recent national polls aside, the numbers in this race have been exceptionally stable. That’s actually a bad sign for Mr. Romney: the harder the numbers are to move, the more robust a small lead is. But it’s still a small lead, and the conventions, the debates, and Mr. Romney’s vice presidential selection all lie ahead.

When should Mr. Romney really get worried? There are only a few days between the Republican and Democratic conventions this year, but candidates typically get a bounce after they hold their party conventions, and Republicans will hold theirs first. It’s usually a high-water mark for the opposition-party candidate, and if Mr. Romney does not at least pull into a tie with Mr. Obama during polls conducted during that interim period — and preferably, poll ahead of Mr. Obama by a couple of points — it might be time for him to hit the panic button.

***

Republicans, especially in the pundit and strategist class, need to take a deep breath. Yes, Mitt Romney has been behind in most of the polls, both in the nation as a whole and in swing states. Yes, there is some evidence that the brutal and unscrupulous ad campaign by the Democrats is hurting his numbers. Yes, the press has been emphasizing his gaffes and alleged gaffes.

And yes, the air is now thick with advice about how Romney needs to reboot his campaign. Some of that advice is even coming from people who wish the campaign well. Many conservatives are urging Romney to make a bold running-mate pick to shake up the race. Others say he needs to offer more policy detail.

Many of the suggestions for veeps and policies are good ones, but Romney shouldn’t take any of them out of panic. The race remains tight, and Obama is below 50 percent both nationally and in the swing states. Romney is running a competent campaign that raises funds effectively, develops its messages and mostly stays on them, and can be trusted to execute its strategies well.

***

“I might be the skunk at the picnic, but I’m going to say it and I’m going to say it clearly,” Ingraham said, “Romney is losing.”

Ingraham went on to note how there have been decisive conservative victories in purple and blue states like Wisconsin, New Jersey and Virginia over the last three years, it is clear that Romney is failing to make the conservative arguments that led to victories in these states.

“If the election were held today, Mitt Romney would lose,” said Ingraham.

***

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I’m saying McDonnell. Just makes sense, though Jindal would have been great.

KCB on August 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Is that me up there^^^^^???

KCB on August 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I can’t help myself…. I have to play this for Ryan… JUST IN CASE…

ON WISCONSIN!

I must say… I just love the idea of taking WISCONSIN and turning it RED!

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Nice. I’m from VA, and I think the term is “Man up”.

KCB on August 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I have always found it remarkable that so many folks don’t consider Va the South. Talk about low info idiots. Lol!

Bmore on August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hi Jackie! Happy Friday!

KCB on August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

KOOLAID2
where have you been? You had me worried…………

angrymike on August 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The War Planner on August 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Its very good to see you, too, War Planner!:)

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Most importantly, Romney needs to abandon, and I mean quickly, the “median voter theory” (cater to the middle) that his driving his campaign. This scientific study debunks the median voter theory as an effective way to run a campaign: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080808105004.htm
Romney has neutered himself politically. He has decided to systematically try to narrow it down to just being about the economy. If he would get to talking and campaigning on the gamut of issues that people care about independent voters would empathize with him on specific issues, stand with him in camaraderie on these issues, and they wouldn’t dote on Romney’s personal issues like his finances or his alleged tendency to run away from key issues.
Romney must be bold and conservative. He must not purposely try to retract his ideological persona. Reach out to voters on single conservative issues like gay marriage and obamacare and immigration; they may not agree with you exactly on every issue, but if you take bold convincing stands, they’ll go ahead and vote for you based on that single issue or two that they care about.

anotherJoe on August 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Sir[?], I promise you that what remains significient [sic] is easy to understand IF you’ve been following politics as looong as I have.

DannoJyd on August 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

..I understand as I am not exactly a babe in the woods in this field either. I have worked on a fair share of campaigns myself.

You post some good stuff here and it is worth reading but — and I mean this in the nicest possible way — it would be better received were you a little less condescending.

..and thank you for the sir; reminds me of my old USAF days.

The War Planner on August 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

From Mumbai?

jaime on August 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

KCB on August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Good evening, Ken. How are you this evening?

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Bmore on August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

More so over the years. Get away from D.C. and Richmond and wow, what a state. I’m digging Texas now in a big way too. Fortunate.

KCB on August 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Its very good to see you, too, War Planner!:)

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

..at my age, it’s good to be seen, ma’am.

:-D

The War Planner on August 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Some reports out of Columbia, SC. that Gov Nikki Haley just left the PGA event in Charleston on a Romney charter…HMMM, could she be the unnamed “wild card” ????

AmericanPatriot70 on August 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Bmore on August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

The Old Dominion. The Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge mountains! One of my favorite places in the country! SO beautiful!

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Bmore on August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Yeah, but its that easterny south. Sweet tea, mint julips and lots of fru-fru.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

cozmo on August 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Good to know your CV, by the way.

The War Planner on August 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

ROTFLMAO! Since when has CV been relevant?

When working in politics at any level you start to learn things. The longer you assist the more you learn. People that stay home learn only what the liberal media wants them to learn.

When I lived in ChiTcago I learned how the democrats did what they do to win elections. I sometimes use that information to my advantage as the people in Michigan are mostly ill informed of how those efforts work.

Last Tuesday the democrats had ZERP lawn signs near my polling place. By some miracle there were GOP signs there. Who would have thunk it?

DannoJyd on August 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

B
Virginia is the south ………WEST Virginia …….

angrymike on August 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I Am Weary, Let Me Rest

jaime on August 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM

racist, I could just feel the undercurrent of hatred for our charismatic, young president.

arnold ziffel on August 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Doing well. Always nice to see you here!

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Doing well. Always nice to see you here!

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Sorry. You know who you are. :-)

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hi Guys and Gals….

… Soooooooooooooooo, what’s been going on around here lately?

Any new news…?

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on August 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

arnold ziffel on August 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Is there anything I can do to assuage my guilt?

Please?

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I’ll be back later, but if not night all…….;-)

angrymike on August 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Carry Me Back To Old Virginny

Published 1878

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Is there anything I can do to assuage my guilt?

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Peanut butter and nana’ sandwiches all around would be a good start.

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

angrymike on August 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Goodnight, Mike! Until we meet again!

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

You guys familiar with this?

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Only a LIBERAL would fail to recognize who Cigarman is, and I do appreciate Governor Gary Johnson’s efforts since he continues to take votes away from 0bama.

Go ask your mama. She WILL know who Cigarnam, the Democrat POTUS, is.

Does it embarass you that your posts prove your ignorance in the area of American politics?

DannoJyd on August 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM

You happen to be related to Joanna? If not, you two would fit well together. Same snarky know-it-all attitude, same lack of grace.

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

..and thank you for the sir; reminds me of my old USAF days.

The War Planner on August 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Sir, some of the comments posted to me by the stay-at-home Sketchy supporters might make my own posts a bit more terse, yet I NEVER devolve into spreading sophmoric liberal filth via my posts. I also never lie since I consider that to be a bad habit that causes a person to devolve. Maybe I’m just too lazy to spread lies…

I know I upset some of the guests here in Hot Air, but I give them a reason to do better than I. If they do not like me they can always prove the courage of their convictions and do as I do. If they cannot I hope they feel ashamed of their lack of conviction. The former is what I try to accomplish, but the latter gives a bit of comfort since I am tired of doing their share of the work for them.

My #1 reason for coming here at all is to discover reasons to pass along to voters reasons to vote for Romney as that will guarentee our taking back of the Senate. I’m still looking for those reasons though, thus I’m looking at the other candidates running for POTUS. We definitely need something.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

ROTFLMAO! Since when has CV been relevant?

DannoJyd on August 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

..well, in your case, it’s good to know that you HAVE the experience to back up what you say — as opposed to, say, The Pantload whose CV is, apparently, a mile wide and n inch deep. (And I am inclined to accept you at your word, therefore value your opinion.)

I hope ZERP == ZERO and that belies some overconfidence on their part.

I would value your analysis of the Ulsterman piece on the Romney campaign leaking the good swing state internal polls to scree with Valerie Jarret. I have been turning up a lot of stuff like that lately and it gives me cause to think that there’s a reason Romney isn’t panicking and Obama is.

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Not a lot to comment about today really. There seems to be more p*ssies pretending to be on the right side of the isle out there planning for Romney’s defeat than I’d ever have imagined. He’s the nominee, but some people won’t support him.

If Romney wins in November, my wish is that these hand wringing do nothings would just go away, but they’ll find something else to hand wring about I’m sure.

No point in arguing about it, opinions are opinions and everyone has one. Some are just whipped before the game is even on. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to have to depend on any of these type of people in a war, they’d be the guys like that one creep that watched his buddy get slaughtered by a german in “Saving Private Ryan”. He stood there, cowering, with a loaded rifle on the stairway, trying not to get in the nazi’s way as the nazi made his way from the scene.

It’s one thing to bicker during the primaries, but FFS, that’s done with.

Whatever. Whine on. I’ve got better things to do.

Wolfmoon on August 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

No… but that’s pretty cool!

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I agree with the premise, and the attitude. :)

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Sorry, I was gone for a while.
But thanks — at least someone is hearing me! :-)

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

DannoJyd on August 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

If that floats your boat than I am glad I could help.

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Romney is losing. He dove in the polls right after he dissed the base, and Dem leaning independents, and Dems (including blacks) on Chickfila. Seriously.

anotherJoe on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Peanut butter and nana’ sandwiches all around would be a good start.

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Well, that’s a little much. I was thinking more of telling some hateful lie about Mitt Romney. Would that do it?

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Sorry. You know who you are. :-)

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Gohawgs on August 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

..fairly put and understood.

I feel like we’re in that scene in Patton where he tells the Soviet general he “will not drink with a Russian son of a b|tch” whereupon, the general calls Patton a son of a b|tch.

..so, as one son of a b|itch to another: на здоро́вье!

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

anotherJoe on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Handwringing aside, suggesting Chick fil A has anything to do with him being behind is silly. Obama’s advertising is probably the main culprit.

changer1701 on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I dunno’, you are the one asking and a peanut butter and nana’ sandwich is pretty hard to beat.

How hateful of a lie is it?

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

How hateful of a lie is it?

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I don’t really have one in mind, but I’ll take suggestions from the commenters and tell the most hateful one. How’s that?

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

and a peanut butter and nana’ sandwich is pretty hard to beat…

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Blue Bell chocolate chip ice cream and pretzel sticks…

Gohawgs on August 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

angrymike on August 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

…been in Hilton Head since last Friday…family all gets together once a year at some time shares (or we would never see each other…Texas, Virginia, Michigan…this way we force ourselves). I always had a goal to respond on EVERY thread on HA since I started…couldn’t keep it up for a day or two …so I’ve been lurking all week…and it’s been tough to just lurk and not try for the ban-hammer with the new trolls popping up!
(I see Yeasty has inflamed her Virgina and you guys have let it Whinny all week on every thread…no one made it shave… use hot sauce or Ben Gay…and you have to keep the pores open on that one… or it just pisses everywhere!) (:->)

KOOLAID2 on August 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Actually I’ve read several of your posts and agree with you frequently.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Gohawgs on August 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

:-)

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

How’s that?

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Also, I think arnold should have preference since he was the one who called me out on it.

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

KOOLAID2,

How was Hilton Head?..Never been

Gohawgs on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

anotherJoe on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

changer1701 on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

..take over, Charger, I am too depressed to carry on; am going to go slit my wrists! I think I have an old pack of rusty Gillette Blue Blades around somewhere so if I don’t bleed out at least I’ll die of tetanus.

Good night all.

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

OUCH! That piece is posted in a pretty choppy manner, but here are a few points from it:

First off, who is the WHI that is being talked to? I’m always leery of unnamed sources.

“WHI: They are running against everything and running for nothin’.

The same could be aid of the Romney campaign today.

WHI certainly does not sound like ANY political insider I’ve ever talked to. Those tend to speak down to people and not use filthy language, or the word ‘aint’.

Romney done good…

Really? This is a supposed insider working for the Romney camp? I don’t think so. It sounds more like a false report ‘leaked’ by an 0bama supporter pretending to work for Mitt, and/or one delivered by Larry the Cable Guy.

The tactics are pretty spot on, but the person delivering the ‘facts’ stinks of liberal tendencies. I would remain skeptical if I were you.

One tried and true tactic is to make your opponent, or his/her voters feel overly confident. Could that be behind the article?

All I know for sure is it doesn’t add up.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Sweet Virgina

Stones.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

angrymike on August 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

..hey, Mike. Thanks for visiting my blog. I tried to follow your link but could not find it. It you come back, pass it along!

*opens medicine cabinet*

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Don’t you dare, Sir! We rely on you to rally the troops around here! Goodnight, War Planner! Sleep well! :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Romney just threw away Florida for nothing. He doesnt even get Wisconsin out of it.

Dole/Kemp ’96= Romney/Ryan ’12

Flapjackmaka on August 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

..just kidding, ma’am. I really do need a good shave.

BCNU!

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Is there anything I can do to assuage my guilt?

Please?

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Yes sir. You have to watch Al Sharpton for one week and we’ll see if that helps. :)

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Whenever H faces problem with toilet I am always very careful to call my nuclear physicist friend for his technical expertise on plumbing….

if my brain needs surgery I am most certain to call up at random a general contractor who usually makes brick walls to use the bone saw and just dig around at random…..

if the car is broken and will not the Big Eared Usher from the fancy office in DC says go into “d” for “forward” I call my friend Rocco Lampone the Painter and freelance customer relations consultant from new york…

it is always funny when Rocco threatens to break my fu&^I&g legs if you goof off and call her asking me to fix the car again call a mechanic…..

so one thing harlekwin knows, knowing that my reasoning is so sound if I told you I had managed to have the largest account my Sub Factory has ever handled showing 1.4+ trillion dollar and growing account deficits going on ad infinitum comrades who would I call?

a) the evil man with nuclear cancer causing gaze who is a puppy abusing cuthroat venture capitalist who started his 78% suuccessful at turnarounds from the edge of the abyss finance business with money from salvadoran death squads as the Goofy usher from DC keep telling me…..

or

b) the Goofy looking usher from DC whose main job prior to getting the big eared cartoon role at DC disney was being straight man for a stand up comedy act by a song and dance man named Jerry Wright “organzing communities” and oh was the guy handling the accounts….?

Choose wisely comrades.

harlekwin15 on August 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Dang, you are a mean one.

Should have gone for the peanut butter and nana’ sandwiches when you had the chance jaime.

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I don’t think Jindal is the one, but I’ll throw out some cajun anyway.

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Alright Mitt, you just need to pick someone who wont make the elderly scared

>ryan

Ya blew it

Flapjackmaka on August 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Oh, Arnold! I think that’s cruel and unusual punishment! Can’t we afford to be merciful? Just this once? LOL!

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I’m sorry. I’d rather gouge my own eyes out and stick an ice pick in each ear.

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

If that floats your boat than I am glad I could help.

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Consider doing more in this election cycle so as to help yourself. If not you, who?

..so, as one son of a b|itch to another: на здоро́вье!

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

LMBO! Cheers! [had to look that up]

I do consider myself to be a whirling SOB at times, but I’m learning to curb that. I blame it on my growing up in ChiTcago which has caused me to become a recovering dem-0-holic of over 20 years…

I’m getting tired of reading at Hot Air. I know it isn’t their fault there is no good news about Romney, but still… Maybe I’ll take some time off and return after the next GOP meeting on Thursday.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I’ve got some cajun !

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

When do you think the Sunday News shows are taped, and how long do you think it takes to get a guest to appear on those? Have you seen the ratings those shows get?

Even Friday would have been a better choice, but not much better.

DannoJyd on August 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Um, the Sunday news shows, such as Meet the Press, are feed LIVE to the stations at 9:00 a.m. Eastern. They can “bump” guests/switch topics accordingly.

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM

AZfederalist on August 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I dated Grace. She is a witch, so I dumped her.

I consider relevance to be much more inportant than kissing the tail section of the stay-at-home sheeple, yet I always manage to show my support of those working to change the shape of America today.

Maybe you heard this. Respect is EARNED!

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Dole/Kemp ’96= Romney/Ryan ’12

Flapjackmaka on August 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I find that it is most effective when counterfeiting fabrege eggs to wait until after the egg has hatched to try to put the bunny suit on the chick comrade….

what I mean is….

The sub factory seems to be running at between 15 trillion to 165 trillion dollars in the hole depending on who is counting and by Tsar the sub is taking on additional water at 1.7 trillion a year….

of and the big eared usher who you are convinced will convince my older comrades down in the ornage groves to hate that young paul Ryan fella…

well it turns out that the Big Eared usher rammed a bill through with the shrewedest shew from the zoo back when carried thors’ hammer to steal half a trillion bucks from the nice old ladies and men….

turns out comrade that that even led to them acting british and buying some tea or something…..

the goofy big eared usher from DC gets really angry when I ask why Tea parties bother him so much, mutters something about blasted heaters….

maybe the big eared usher from Dc plans on “venture socialism” with steel mills or something….which would be nice since the cancer eye beam guy seems to target steel workers’ wives with his Cancer Ray eyes that reach across time and space…..

or as babushka once intoned: there’s many a slip twixt the cup and the lip…..

No I don’t know what she meant…I told you she used to drink rocket fuel and chase it with napalm….Russian women are a tough bunch.

Dos Va Donya

harlekwin15 on August 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I have been out-cajuned!

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Good night War Planner!

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM

So what? Are you trying to say people sit in their cars, or drive around for hours and listewn to those shows?

Discover the ratings those shows get. You will not be at all impressed.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

lol. He should have.

O/T yesterday was the 70th anniversary of the worst USN defeat (IIRC)–three US cruisers and an Aussie at Battle of Savo Island.

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Valse de Balfa

Balfa Brothers

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Angel Band

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I am too depressed to carry on; am going to go slit my wrists!

Good night all.

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Stop that! We haven’t given up yet. Not by a long shot!

Sleep well. You’ve earned that.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

BCNU!

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

‘Nite The War Planner

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Dole/Kemp ’96= Romney/Ryan ’12

Flapjackmaka on August 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Wow, sure didn’t take the ABRs long to condemn the Ryan pick given that it isn’t even official yet.

But, as I wrote in an earlier thread, even if Jesus Christ came down from Heaven to run as Romney’s VP, the ABRs, along with the MSM, will turn it into “Romney blew it!” and “this shows how desperate the Romney camp is.” So, it’s to be expected.

Nonetheless, you should at least hold your fire until the pick is official — all the *signs* could be a little *too* convenient, as in deliberately designed to make the MSM and ABRs read to expect (and attack) Ryan, but turn out to be a total head fake with the pick end up being someone else to catch everyone off guard.

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

So where is DIRE STRAITS this evening?

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Damn, used to be I could remember their names.

Houston, Canberra and the other two would be close, but they would be guesses at this point.

When the US took over the four modified Spruance class cruisers bound for Iran after the revolution the lead ship was renamed for the admiral who died leading that battle. Forever after known as the “Dead Admiral” class.

It was also Nagasaki day. Another anniversary mostly overlooked.

cozmo on August 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Discover the ratings those shows get. You will not be at all impressed.

DannoJyd on August 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

No, I was trying to say, nicely, that anyone who is the least bit politically aware knows the Sunday morning news shows are LIVE not TAPED for the exact reason to accommodate “breaking news” — the exact opposite of what you were trying to say when you said the pick should have been done FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE LATEST if Romney wanted to dominate the Sunday morning news shows with the announcement.

You really should try to keep up better with the points you are trying to make.

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Carry Me Back To Old Virginny

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Loved that.

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I am too depressed to carry on; am going to go slit my wrists!

Good night all.

The War Planner on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

It seems most certain that the fella with the cancer beam eyes who donated one fortune to the charity world to craft another with other evil puppy munching vulture capitalists must be a dumb man….

his organization had what in your silly baseball terms a .750 or so batting average is it?

yes, so of course he must not know a thing about analysis or negotiating or have been all over the nation and have a feel for currents or anything….

Far better to give up and let my friend the big eared usher from DC Disney continue steering the ship of state uncontested, so be sure not to tell any of your friends that despite being a goofy usher he has a friend that looks like a stuntman from barney miller that has guys who report to him that are complicit in the “retirement” of 302 people….

that would be rude wouldn’t it?

Far better to just let them win, that way the big eared usher can keep trying to get over the island by lifiting the boat with his mind…..

hey oh look they found another 11 trillion dollars worth of water leaking into the hull…..

give the nice cartoon eared usher a chance to learn the controls….he’s come so far in 3.5 years I am certain another 4 is all he needs.

harlekwin15 on August 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Nagasaki Day…hmmm…Kikuchio to Mohshimasu

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

All he had to do was pick a bore like Portman. Romney cant handle excitement and energy on his campaign

Flapjackmaka on August 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Did you? Its VERY old. Still, a sweet old tune.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You really should try to keep up better with the points you are trying to make.

Dark Star on August 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Georgi Snarfolaupagus and his little special needs companion are like a well oiled machine when it comes to accuracy and ethics in the reporting “breaking news”…..

I love how they were so clear on reverse engineering the Colorado shooters’ entire psychological profile based on a blogger tip.

I know that if instead of being a sub factory worker I was blessed enough to make half a million dollars or so reading a teleprompter for a living I’d be sure to take Kos’ word for it in campaign season on anything without checking…..

Da H is a journalism student at George mason why do you ask comrade?

harlekwin15 on August 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

You Are My Sunshine

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Saori Yuki…Yuuzuki

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

How was Hilton Head?..Never been

Gohawgs on August 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

…it’s beautiful Gohawgs…every community should be laid out like this place. Vegetation hides the commercial strips….everything blends into the landscape. People like to come here for golf…I like the beach.

KOOLAID2 on August 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Did you? Its VERY old. Still, a sweet old tune.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Yeah, it was great. I like the barbershop quartet sound. I was A) either thinking about doing a barbershop night here, or B) did a barbershop night here. I don’t remember.

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

‘Nite, All

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Down In The Valley/Birmingham Jail

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Saori Yuki…Yuuzuki

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Very very good. QOTD, my favorite music appreciation class.

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

jaime on August 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I like Barbershop, too. Goodnight, Jaime. Thanks for the tunes! :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Went with something contemporary.

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I’m glad you like it. She’s very famous. I think her voice is remarkable.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Saori Yuki…Yuuzuki

That was pretty cool!

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

harlekwin15 on August 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I fear your creativity is wasted upon the hoi polloi here, but I sure have enjoyed it, Tovarich

LegendHasIt on August 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Really excellent, Ken.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Did someone hurl an insult??

KCB on August 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM