New “Red Dawn” trailer: Prepare for the great North Korean invasion

posted at 6:01 pm on August 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace. If you’re wondering why they chose North Korea instead of, say, China, revisit this old post and all shall be revealed. Here’s something I’m not sure I’ve ever said about a movie: I don’t think I can suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy this. Want me to watch a buddy movie starring Bigfoot and Chewbacca as undercover detectives who infiltrate a drug ring to steal the Lost Ark of the Covenant? No problem. Want me to watch a pseudo-realistic war film in which mainland America is invaded by a country that subsists mainly on grass? Nope. Not happening, or at least not without great difficulty. This flick reminds me of the “uncanny valley” in robotics: People can cope just fine with robots that are very lifelike or not lifelike at all, but they recoil at robots that are kind of lifelike. This film is kind of lifelike. You could buy it if the invading army hailed from a great power — the original “Red Dawn” worked fine with the Soviets, and this one probably would have flown with China in the villain role — but these people? As a rule of thumb, if we’re going to imagine an enemy abroad overwhelming U.S. air defenses and landing tens of thousands of paratroopers, that enemy should be capable of keeping a long-range missile in the air for more than, say, 45 seconds. Basic concessions to reality here, guys — that’s all I ask.

Exit question: Would a historical counterfactual work better as a film? E.g., would it be easier to suspend your disbelief for a movie about a hypothetical 1942 invasion of the U.S. by Germany or, more realistically, Japan? I feel like that would be okay, even though it’s now actually impossible rather than just really, really, really, really unlikely.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The song is “Hey Man, Nice Shot” by Filter.

And worked much better in the intro of the movie Demon Knight.

Ukiah on August 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Thank you, Filter, yes…and what can I say…it looks like it will be entertaining…not something I’ve waited years for, heck I probably won’t even see it in the theater…I loved the original but I love stuff like this…anyone remember that network movie, Amerika? Yeah, I liked that, too!

ellifint on August 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

A Word From The Left For Those Lefties, Who Think That Romney Can’t Wait To Start A New War

M2RB: Barenaked Ladies

Resist We Much on August 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I refuse to even click play on that trailer let alone actually watch the movie.

Yakko77 on August 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m with you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

If they had time traveling nazis invading mainland USA, that would be more realistic.

bitsy on August 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Done Already

IMHO, it looks like they just clipped the best parts of both Red Dawn & Amerikka and HomeFront (

With this R.D remake (refuse to call it reboot) they took the plot from Amerika of the Sovs used a F.O.B.S device over the continental US to created a EMP pulse that left us defenseless and open to an invasion.

In the remake from what I remember, the invasion was carried out by a United Korea and allies.

If the movie is going to suck, it’ll be because they’ll try to play the PC Invader card so much, it’ll just bog the whole flow and undercurrent of patriotism that was proudly displayed in the original.

Not to mention the biggest hole in the plot….what exactly do you think the US Navy and the Silent Service will do when they realize that no one is picking up the phone in Washington DC or at the Puzzle Palace?

Yup, they’re gonna give the NK’s as much nuclear material as they can handle…delivered via Air Mail…Navy style.

BlaxPac on August 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I agree Allahpundit..This is so sad to see Hollyweird defame a once great movie!..:(

Dire Straits on August 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I do too, but the released version of the original was censored and I’m still annoyed by that.

Good write up AP. NK? Seriously?

dogsoldier on August 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Really, assuming the Norks could get here, they’d be invading grocery stores and fast food joints. A sequel to the original would have been better than a remake.

sandspur on August 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Dammit. Get out of my head. I was figuring they’d be chasing down Fido.
It should have been Iran, you know, that little country that isn’t so dangerous.

RovesChins on August 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

North Korea doesn’t even have enough jet fuel to reach the US with that many planes or planes with enough range to drop paratroops on the US.

Dumb

crosspatch on August 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Yep. We could throw up a defensive line of mobile KFC outlets and set off open barbeque pits upwind of their rear areas.

crosspatch on August 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It’s bad enough that this movie is yet another remake of an 80′s and 90′s flick…just one of a whole heck of a lot of them lately. And I haven’t seen even one of them where the remake is better either.

With these fictional movies…they at least need a plot line with a basis in reality and remote possibility so that the audience can at least somewhat believe the story could happen, o matter how remote the chances are.

Heck, even China invading didn’t make any real sense. The Soviets in the 80′s? Remotely possible at least.

JetBoy on August 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

heck I probably won’t even see it in the theater…
ellifint on August 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thank you. You have redeemed yourself in my eyes. Like you care. :-)

mapper on August 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I can make it believable. Just add 15 minutes of prologue with deep, heavy music like the shark coming in Jaws.

Then start with the words, U. S. Foreign Policy. In 1979 the Iranians defied the US, being totally without fear of the superpower. Then, they again faced the US in a dispute over atomic weapons. After daring President Carter’s successor to do anything for years, they perfected an A bomb while the North Koreans bought the entire stock of older rockets from Russia.

The US had gutted the military for budgetary reasons, outlawed guns and made San Francisco the capital of a country called New Amerigo de Democrato.

The North Koreans then calculated that it would be easier to steal stuff from North Californians than build their own consumer economy.

This is where our story begins. See?

IlikedAUH2O on August 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

It’s not a bad trailer, but I’ll never pay money to see this because it represents cowardice and greed while the message of the film is the opposite – the irony would be too much.

I could have dealt with the PG-13 rating, and the fact that it’s yet another remake, if China were the bad guys.

Daemonocracy on August 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

dogsoldier on August 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I hear you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Crap! I had a rather decent post and the Interweb ate it.

Bummer.

Ah well. The movie is only gonna stink on ice for the painfully obivous PC checklist they’ll go through.

But, as i stated before: Even if the NK were able to EMP the country, what the heck do they think the Navy will do to them?

I mean not all our ships n subs are parked next to the shoreline; don’t they realize just how much of thier country we would turn to glass?

I’ll see the movie, but it’ll be on someone elses dime….lucky for me, theres still a theatre nearby that serves popcorn with REAL coconut oil, so that alone will let me tolerate the first 30 minutes…after that?…shrug.

BlaxPac on August 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

heck I probably won’t even see it in the theater…
ellifint on August 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thank you. You have redeemed yourself in my eyes. Like you care. :-)

mapper on August 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

~~~~~~~

Lol, I’ll take all the redemption I can get! :)

ellifint on August 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

There was some logic to the original movie, the Soviets moving into middle American via their ally Cuba and they were never able to move outside of that area. But North Korea getting an air force over the US? Ha! Ha! Ha! I can’t wait to hear how they got by our military to land in the US.

Don’t they realize that a lot of us “cling to our guns”? Even if they miraculously landed, they would never make it off the beach. Well, maybe in San Fran they would.

I may see it for the laugh factor, kind of like that movie 10.5.

Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies, being of similar age of the main characters as well as living in the “Occupied Zone” (Colorado), and Patrick Swayze . It’s a shame they thought they could do a remake.

Common Sense on August 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I was not expecting to like this, but the trailer looked good in some places.
Wolverines!

the new aesthetic on August 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I know. I kind of want to see it. And I think I could suspend a lot of belief for Chris Hemsworth. He’s easy on the eyes.

magicbeans on August 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

oops, belief = disbelief

magicbeans on August 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

This is where our story begins. See?

IlikedAUH2O on August 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I would pay to see this. You should be living high on the hog in Hollywood.

Mason on August 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Not enough guts to make it china and or afraid of losing film revenue. NK doesn’t have enough gas to make it across the pacific!

One day hollywood will stop casting pretty boys in tough guy rolls…. but not anytime soon. All you see when you look in their faces is a bleak emptiness of privilege. They ruined spartacus.

I like violent war films so i’ll still watch it sucker that i am.

aniptofar on August 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Lame.

KirknBurker on August 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

America is invaded by a country that subsists mainly on grass?

I think the land of “Choombama” already has invaded.In BHO’s day it was called “Maui Wowie” or “San Simeon”. Tee-he.

NotaSlickFan on August 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I hope they don’t land on Guam, it’s near tipping point

Slade73 on August 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

winnah!

Coolidge_Conservative on August 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

AP. I’ll answer you on Japan and Germany in WWII.

There is absolutely no way Germany could invade even England, and no way the Japanese could invade even Hawaii. Both countries did not have the sea-lift, doctrine, training, troop strength, or logistic support for that.

Even if they did have the sea-lift, their Navies could not protect the merchant ships from being sunk by the larger Navies of the USN and RN. The Japanese did not have enough oilers and a good at sea replenishing technology to go further than Hawaii, except on a one-way trip at the most economical speed.

NaCly dog on August 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Why not Western Samoa attacking us? It makes as much sense as NoKo.

portlandon on August 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Shhhhh. “Red Dawn III”.

Keep that under your hat.

Solaratov on August 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The invasion is lead by Jon Huntsman

tomas on August 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM

AP. I’ll answer you on Japan and Germany in WWII.

NaCly dog on August 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Neither does NK right now. If I watch thisa crap, I am going to need a total suspension of disbelief, just like Senator Clinton say about Petraus.

El Coqui on August 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

They should have made the plot about a President who has communist sympathies destroying America from within, bankrupting it, gutting the military and setting up America for an invasion. Or would that be copyright infringement on the news of the last four years?

maddmatt on August 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

If ‘O’ is reelected and we don’t have control of the senate, lets see in 4 more years if we think this plot is unrealistic…

ChuckTX on August 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM

It could be exciting and believable if the Wolverines adopted a COIN policy toward them.

BL@KBIRD on August 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Oooohh…COIN.

I wonder if that’d work in someplace like Afghanistan!

Solaratov on August 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

BL@KBIRD on August 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I prefer Stallones policy, from the new Expendables 2 Movie…

“Find ‘Em, Track ‘Em, Kill ‘Em”….

BlaxPac on August 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

If they are not going to have the stones to name a credible enemy, then they should make a plot that makes sense. Like have Mexico annex California and the watch Democrats try to negotiate to get it back.

pedestrian on August 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Did NK launch bottle rockets and glow sticks at us in this “movie”? Pass.

Philly on August 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM

And you think a North Korean invasion of the US is unrealistic?

The Democrats would be tripping over themselves to give the sacred land of Aztlan back to the “People Of The Sun”.

MidniteRambler on August 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I would watch this movie if:

A: The high school mascot was the Honeybadgers and not the Wolverines

2: It was an Abrams, Zucker, & Zucker movie

d: Leslie Neilson was alive and played a dual role of both the downed Air Force pilot that becomes their mentor AND the North Korean General.

But since that’s not possible, I’ll accept Val Kilmer in Leslie Neilson’s place but the downed Air Force pilot’s name must be Nick Rivers.

If this happens, the movie gets my money.

rihar on August 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yes. Also they should be opposed by Abraham Lincoln as a steampunk cyborg riding a bear.

sockpuppetpolitic on August 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The Austrailian version of Red Dawn makes more sense, they never tell you who the invaders are.

Patricksp on August 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Stupid.

Arh.

minnesoter on August 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

bitsy on August 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

No, it would have to be time-traveling nazi zombies!

bookman on August 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

More realistic would be for UN blue helmeters coming over to snatch all our guns. UN would get their asses kicked of course, but that would be more believable.

I read this and immediately came up with a plausible scenario. Who wants to make a movie???

Zdad on August 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Trailer was like a subjective walk in 2003 Iraqi shoes.

saL on August 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Zdad on August 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM

If you’re serious, I can ask my crazy cousins. They’ve already done some darn good homemade ‘combat’ and ninja movies…starring in that kind of movie would literally be a dream come true for them. And they know more than a few things about guerrilla warfare and firearms use. (don’t ask.)

Also a suggestion on the movie plot, at least for the opening:

All radio and TV stations suddenly start showing a “lay down your arms” message. A single plane starts dispensing UN paratroopers, who land and promptly face a withering rain of rifle fire and buckshot.

The blue helmets are getting picked off at an alarming rate…but then another plane shows up on the horizon…and another…and another. Cue a massive “oh cr@p” reaction among the citizen-soldiers as well as the people observing them fight, and a near-victory promptly turns into a desperate rearguard holding action to evacuate families and supplies. Show a montage of fighting in various important American cities and notable small towns while opening credits roll. The movie then actually starts in a hidden camp with a mishmash of rebel fighters, from citizen-soldiers to regular armed forces and maybe a stranded Spec-Ops trooper trying to figure out WTF just happened and WTF is our next move?

MelonCollie on August 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Oh yes, and the changing of China to NK in the movie is not only ridiculous but cowardly on the part of the producers. China MIGHT be able to TRY something like this…but anyone who hasn’t lived in a cave for the last 20 years knows that NK is a broke joke.

And as for the Chinese temper tantrums? My response would have been “You’ve kidnapped women for forced abortions, enacted idiotic population-control laws, and routinely steal Western tech because you can’t invent jack. We don’t give a darn if our film hurts your precious feelings.”

MelonCollie on August 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Soooooo it only took me a couple min to enjoy the trailer and rationalize why it was NK and not China…proxy! China could not risk losing a war if the new super-weapon it developed failed. So they gave it to NK along with the equipment for an initial invasion of the W coast. They get to see how the weapon works and they also get to sell us MASSIVE amounts of components when we have to re-equip our dismantled army. This more than pays them back for giving all the equipment to NK. The initial invasion stalls because the equipment was only good for the opening drive and not much else and they are not immediately pushed back because the little armed forces left to the US were busy fighting in Israel/Iran (take your pick). This gives a window of a few (3-6) months for the wolverines story to unfold….

…there, now lighten up and have some fun watching north Koreans get blowed up! (spelling on purpose spelling nazi…u know who u are!)

airmonkey on August 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM

w/e
WOLVERINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CallousDisregard on August 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Harry Reid told me that he knows one of the screenwriters and the North Koreans are assisted by a fifth column made up by the Amish.

Does that help you suspend disbelief?

jtdavies on August 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I admit I’m a little out of touch with the up-and-coming new talent in Hollywood, but is this a cast of nobody’s…?

PointnClick on August 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You mean, just like in the original? :) (I think Powers Boothe was the only “name” in the movie when it came out.)

portlandon on August 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Heh. Where Clinton sold the Chinese missile technology, Obama gave the Norks the secret of the C-5?

Hayabusa on August 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

A goodly chunk of China does sit in SE Asia, but your point is taken. (Not that Hollywood would know the difference.)

ted c on August 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM

If there’s no air defense or local military installation, they do. Night drops are problematic, and you really want to drop as close to your objective as possible.

GWB on August 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Dumb

crosspatch on August 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM </blockquote\
The movie was written and made about China.
But our Chinese overlords said ickschnay to that so they had to restyle the movie to be about N.Korea.

China owns AMC theaters now and if you ever go to one, you, are a traitor.

esnap on August 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Why does it seem Hollywood destroys all great pictures they do a remake of? Total Recall remake is a complete flop and my bet is this one will be also.

JeffinSac on August 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM

At least the Cubans left Cohibas when they high-tailed it back to Havana.

Second thought: If Little Kim is anything like his daddy Obama could use him on the golf course. It’s a dog eat dog game.

catalan on August 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

They say “Korea”
Just think in your mind “China”
Makes more sense that way.

I kind of like the countercultural “roll your own” vibe of knowing that the premise of this movie was a Chinese invasion, and watching it that way. They say “North Korea” and you say “Yeah, sure”, and realize that they ment China all along, but by filming it this way, they are slipping one past our soon-to-be Masters.

Haiku Guy on August 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM

So, NK invades the US because, hummmm, ah, what? Oh yeah, because the 79 Lincoln they use to haul their dead leaders around in for mass funeral parades finally broke down and UN sanctions won’t let J C Whitney ship them any replacement parts.

Wallythedog on August 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

JeffinSac on August 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Because Hollywood is filled with leftists, educated by leftists, who only know how to plagiarize.

Original thought in leftists has been drummed out by our wonderful marxist university system.

Robert Jensen on August 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Alternative history fiction is very popular. Why can’t they make movies like that too?

Also, agreed with Allahpundit re: being unable to suspend disbelief to be able to enjoy this.

Plus the cheesy line by Hemsworth about “we inherited our freedom and now we have to fight for it”, this is something I imagine a liberal screenwriter imagines a dumb hick would say, and then tries to appeal to that dumb hick by making Hemsworth’s character say it.

AlexB on August 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Maybe they’ll be a special edition blu-ray that shows China as the villan?

Until then I’ll stick to the original thank you. Wow way to ruin what could have been a great remake Hollywood.

bigbeas on August 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

This is yet another shining example that there is no more honest to goodness writing talent in Hollywood these days! With all the endless resources out there that could become decent movies (example: The Harry Potter Series, The Hunger Games Series, etc.), Hollywood now has to rely on a bunch of second rate hack writers who I am convinced go down to the local Redbox kiosk, rent out a bunch of movies from like 15 to 20 years ago, watch them a few times and say “OK, let’s make a movie based on this movie and we will call it a …………………….REMAKE!!!

With the exception of the very excellent reboot of Spider Man this year, this approach to quality movie making has failed over and over again. All you have to do right now is head to the theater to see the REMAKE of “Total Recall” to see what I mean here.

This is why there is a very good chance that with the exception of the star draw power of Chris Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson, this REMAKE of “Red Dawn” is going to crash and burn with fans of the original Patrick Swayze film of years before. And this is why Hollywood needs to put out the HELP WANTED sign at every major studio and start hiring good quality IMAGINATIVE writers who will give us new and different films we can enjoy at the theater.

It’s time to stop this idiotic REMAKE frenzy going on out there in Tinseltown! It is now out of control!

pilamaye on August 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Norks with HMMWVs?

Dunedainn on August 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Blue dusk. A war story about russian and cubans fighting in the USA, only this time as emigres from socialist hellholes, they fight along side Powers Booth against the socialist blue states bleeding the red white. That’s how far we’ve fallen these last 20 years.

pc on August 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

No appetite for such a dumb movie…

…especially while we’re in the midst of actually experiencing “Manchurian Candidate II” in real life!!!

landlines on August 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Oh, come on, AP. I’ll have to see this one, just for the hilarity and “moronic” factor. I’d love to see how they make a whole movie about North Korea invading the United States. I’m sitting here laughing. OMG, that’s funny. I can’t wait.

J.E. Dyer on August 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Some of the ink I recall when the original Red Dawn was out was how could Cuba possibly mount an invasion? Clearly they could not and it was absolutely the Russians by proxy. This because the Russians were busy elsewhere around the globe like in Europe, WW3 had begun afterall. The Cuban troops would be more of a distraction to the US that might have a bigger payoff and Russian troops would backfill in later.

But then there is the context to the time that made the original Red Dawn scenario work. Cuban soldiers did have active combat experience all through the 70′s in Africa. They were viewed as tough. Further in 1984, the US was in the midst of the refit & modernization that Reagan brought to all branches of the military. Were we ready for this? We were still in the shadow of Vietnam and there was constant media speculation as to US military competence as well as how awesome the Soviets were. The story was remotely plausible with all that in mind.

But plausibility for this one? Nothing I can think of or want to try to extrapolate. I can only hope the mindless violence and gun play is well done. More likely it will end up as a ~90 minute anti-gun, anti-conservative, anti-US PSA exactly 180-degrees from the original by John “Big Wednesday” Milius.

roy_batty on August 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

roy_batty on August 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I doubt it. Not even leftie sites are thinking this will be propaganda for them; “targeted at the toothless NASCAR crowd” was one phrase that I saw a lot.

IMHO this film will be what exactly what it looks like: a bad remake with highly-improbable combat sequences and a laughable plot.

MelonCollie on August 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

This is going to be the “Death Nail” for the Democates. Because, the way our current regime has selling U.S. down the river, it would not surprise me for an Opposing ideology to have been give enough backdoor data to use our technology against U.S.

However, as a retiree (USAF) with knowledge that the invasion of that shown in the trailer by a single country such as North Korea is a streach. But, the evil alliances that President Obama has formed would.

MSGTAS on August 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

All those NKs look the same to me. Remake of “Clone Wars”?

Roy Rogers on August 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM