Video: Obama supporters stumped on why government should pay for birth control

posted at 2:01 pm on August 9, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Revealing Politics.com sent a cameraman out to meet women voters at Obama’s Colorado rally Wednesday, where he was introduced by the country’s most famous adult woman incapable of making a run to the CVS, Sandra Fluke.

Enjoy:

President Obama told women at the rally that Mitt Romney “want(s) to take us back to the policies more suited to the 1950s than the 21st century.” The president’s advantage among women is quite a bit smaller in swing-state Colorado than nationally, and I think the campaign overestimates Fluke’s power as a symbol of modern womanhood to independent Western women. Not exactly the pioneer spirit, Fluke’s.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

like medial doctors- who in the broad majority describe birth control pills as an important component of women’s healthcare.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You misspelled prescribe.

Right?

Not that it matters:

From 1995 to 2002, the percentage of American women who said they received contraceptive services rose from 36 percent to 41 percent, according to Jennifer J. Frost, a senior research associate at the Guttmacher Institute in New York City, and author of the survey report published in the October issue of the American Journal of Public Health.

(Hint- “contraceptive services” =/= pill exclusively, so the pill is a percentage of that 41%.)

So bayam’s “broad majority” = lester’s “almost all”?

Well done. This is bound to strengthen your other number-based arguments. Bill Gates would be proud.

rogerb on August 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Let me throw out a question from the 1950s. So what’s wrong with waiting to have sex until you are in a committed mariage relationship? Seriously, has our culture completely ignored the benefits of delayed gratification? I think the way we have behaved is disgusting.

jbh45 on August 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The typical marriage age got pushed back about 6 years between 1950 and 2010.

dedalus on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

appeal to authority again?

One trick pony…

tom daschle concerned on August 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM

True, pretty stupid to take into consideration the opinion of medical doctors. There’s really no need when Rush and Glenn have already reached conclusions on this subject. MD’s are really irrelevant.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

What has all of that got to do with making the taxpayers pay for it?

Cindy Munford on August 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

According to physicians? I’ll let you look that one up.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

What a bunch of maroons.

Mini-14 on August 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Once again why talk to bayam – just a one trick pony with his hand out. Ignore him, he has no argument. When do I get my free condoms and when can I stop my girl from aborting my baby instead of just being the one to decide if I have to pay for it?

Hey that’s it!!?? Can men now do financial abortions??!!

Zomcon JEM on August 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Video: Obama supporters stumped on why government should pay for birth control

You could have just stopped right there.

AllahsNippleHair on August 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Video: Obama supporters stumped on why government should pay for birth control

You could have just stopped right there.

AllahsNippleHair on August 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Pulled a bayam there.

AllahsNippleHair on August 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Typical Obama voters. Dumb as dirt, think they’re so caring and want everyone to know it.

bluegill on August 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Funny how they’re so dumbfounded when confronted with rather simple questions about their opinions.

Ukiah on August 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

We need to quit saying “government” and start saying “fellow citizen”. What do you think the answer would be if they were asked if their friends and relatives should pay for their birth control?
And yes I am sure some would still think they should, but I expect it would clarify the question considerably. I keep waiting for a candidate who will clearly state there is no magic tree in DC that tax revenue grows on.

pgrossjr on August 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Libs cannot think beyond a bumper sticker.
They get their tiny little bumper sticker slogans masquerading as thoughts re-enforced every night on the news, in TV shows, movies, magazines and from endless celebrities as well as teachers and professors. Their tiny little pretend thoughts are never challenged within their tiny little world and minds. And when someone armed with a little common sense comes along and pierces their dark little void with a simple but real question founded in truth…. they are stumbled, bewildered and confused. The slogans fall apart. Real thought struggles to awake.

Why should government pay for what goes on in your bedroom if you don’t want government in your bedroom? “Gosh… I , uh… I don’t know? I never heard a question like that before? I don’t know what to say? I’m being forced to… think. Oh, how it.. hurts.

JellyToast on August 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Obama never had to mess with conscience rights.

Obama should have ‘eliminated the middle men,’ declared these contraceptive, abortifacient drugs henceforth free, and have pharmacies just dispense them at will.

“Smartest president evah” could have directly pandered to women without messing with religious freedom.

marybel on August 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

According to physicians? I’ll let you look that one up.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Oh please, Planned Parenthood and Public Health Clinics are available to people who can’t afford the $9 a month.

Cindy Munford on August 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

According to physicians? I’ll let you look that one up.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

So you’re saying that medical doctors who are getting paid less and less through Medicare and Medicaid want the government to make them use those programs to prescribe birth control? Those doctors?

Deanna on August 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

You’re a hack. Do you have any self-respect?

CW on August 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The typical marriage age got pushed back about 6 years between 1950 and 2010.

dedalus on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

And ?

CW on August 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Deanna on August 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Most doctors hate medicare and medicaid and they are dreading Obamacare…

Eighty-three percent of American physicians have considered leaving their practices over President Barack Obama’s health care reform law, according to a survey released by the Doctor Patient Medical Association.

The DPMA, a non-partisan association of doctors and patients, surveyed a random selection of 699 doctors nationwide. The survey found that the majority have thought about bailing out of their careers over the legislation, which was upheld last month by the Supreme Court.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/09/report-83-percent-of-doctors-have-considered-quitting-over-obamacare/#ixzz2366KfoLN

melle1228 on August 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

BAYAM it should not be the Federal governments job. You losers and your claims that women are strong and independent and your whining about government’s intrusion into women’s private lives sure seem ironic and hypocritical in today’s world. In reality you think people cannot care for themselves. I suspect your view of women is one not of respect. In fact it is pretty clear.

CW on August 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

What has all of that got to do with making the taxpayers pay for it?

Cindy Munford on August 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

According to physicians? I’ll let you look that one up.

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

We have.

41% of women “received contraceptive services”.

That 41% includes prescriptions for “the pill”.

That means significantly less than half of all women were prescribed “the pill” by their physicians.

Guttmacher Institute
American Journal of Public Health
October 2008
___

Your turn. Cite your source.

rogerb on August 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

If I can’t afford my car payment or house payment, they take it away and I no longer have use of it. Be careful what you ask for. Maybe there should be a one time expense of fixing you up to where birth control would not be necessary. Put that out there and see how fast they come up with the money. If you are having $ex and cannot afford it, maybe you need to spend more time on your feet and off your back looking for employment.

j bo on August 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Fluke is Aunt Jemima for college girls.

ignatzk on August 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Keep your laws off my body…..

CW on August 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I don’t care. Obama is awesome.

BobMbx on August 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

j bo on August 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

This. Just…this.

There’s already a movement paying drug addicts to get snipped so they don’t pop out crack babies. Why not one that pays irresponsible college students to get snipped so they and their unwanted brat end become public burdens?

MelonCollie on August 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

” Keep your laws off my body…..”. Eh… don’t worry lady in Purple. I will keep everything I got off your body.

Hummer53 on August 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

We have a problem with people starving in this country?

mankai on August 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

bayam on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Your response to being called out for using a logical fallacy is to reengage using the same fallacy.

You are a special kind of f**ktard commie.

tom daschle concerned on August 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Barack Obama, through Fluke’s theatricals, has pigeon-holed “women” into some sort of helpless, unable dependency “pet” of the Left: you own them, you have to feed, bathe and lead them, and make sure they get their shots.

I can’t stand this sort of “helpless dependency” model to define women, per Obama and the Left.

Make an effort to counter that rotten negative stereotype, and the Left will never stop smearing you.

Lourdes on August 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The ONLY time in my entire life that I had any problem with buying a prescription was for a brandname antibiotic (*) two years ago, DURING OBAMA’S PRESIDENCY.

But a friend stepped in and helped me, paid for it himself on my behalf. I never saw Obama or any “woman” or “women’s group” around offering to help.

(*) was a necessary medicine, no alternatives to it, and expensive beyond words.

Lourdes on August 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Obama supporters stumped on why government should pay for birth control

I blame gub’mint schools. Literally.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

This article might be better titled, “Why the nineteenth amendment should be repealed.”

NeverLiberal on August 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

NeverLiberal on August 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Heh. There was an episode of the Man Show where Kimmel and Carola set up a table with a petition to “End Womens Suffrage” and all these women were signing it and walking away feeling real good about themselves. Facepalm.

Buttercup on August 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Logic not strong amongst this sample.

RDE2010 on August 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

” Ah ah ah…thats a good question???’ The best part was watching their eyes spin and steam come out their ears when caught in their own hypocritical contradictions.

morbius on August 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Your turn. Cite your source.

rogerb on August 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Time to let the thread die, eh bayam?

rogerb on August 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Your turn. Cite your source.

rogerb on August 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Time to let the thread die, eh bayam?

rogerb on August 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

The reasoning behind your “Bill Gates said this” posts is much clearer now. It’s so much easier to be told what to think, isn’t it?

Obama 2012!!/!

rogerb on August 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I don’t care. Obama is awesome.

BobMbx on August 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

LOL
This is what my “Progressive” obamabot friends respond when I confront them with facts

Strike Hornet on August 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

NeverLiberal on August 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Symptom, not the disease. Trying to reduce women back to “barefoot, pregnant, kitchen” won’t work. Even reducing voting rights back to WASPs wouldn’t work; and you’d have to literally beat the rest of the population into submission.

MelonCollie on August 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM