Video: Now you’re just Obama that I used to know

posted at 4:01 pm on August 9, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

With the song being run ragged over the radio waves, parodies abound — but I’m posting this one because I actually think it pretty accurately portrays the mood of disappointment and disenchantment young people are feeling with President Obama these days. Not to mention, the classic Hopenchange background is a clever take on Gotye’s original music video, and the lyrics (“the change I got is that I moved in with my mother”) are pretty darn witty:

Not exactly the energized, youthful enthusiasm of 2008, is it? ABC talked with the two Harvard grads behind the vid:

In a video posted online this week, Justin Monticello and Ryan Newbrough, both Harvard University graduates, replaced the lyrics of Goyte’s hit summer song “Somebody that I Used to Know” with a downtrodden ballad mourning Obama’s unfulfilled promises. …

“I think the main goal that we had in making this was first to be funny and reach people but in general just to kind of highlight a few of these things that we thought were less dependent on the political circumstances and more dependent on Obama’s will to do things,” Monticello told ABC News. …

“People feel they had invested so much in Obama on what he had said and what he was capable of and it just hasn’t happened that way,” he said.

The Harvard graduate-turned-director said that he and  Newbrough, the video’s co-creator, were “swept up” in Obama’s fervor last election but are undecided on who to vote for this year.

Yikes. It’s not like these guys are hardcore conservatives, and they don’t seem like they’re completely politically ignorant, either — they’re just two of the many young people enthralled with President Obama’s message the first time around who have come to find that his promises haven’t been all they were cracked up to be. While President Obama still seems to be leading with the youngest voting generation, the enthusiasm is not what it was in 2008. How will the loss of so much youthful vigor affect Obama this November? It hasn’t been looking too good so far, especially if it means the more numerous older generations are being propelled to the polls in greater numbers:

The enthusiasm of the Millennial Generation for Obama, who is now 50, fueled his election victory four years ago. Though still backing him, younger voters have lost some of their ardor while seniors have become significantly more engaged than in 2008 on behalf of the 65-year-old Romney — and they are much more likely to vote.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is really just a testament to young voters and how stupid they are, right? It’s not really an Obama dig.

lorien1973 on August 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

If they don’t support those things and they voted for him it’s kind of on them.

libfreeordie on March 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM

rogerb on August 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

When you’ve lost Harvard-educated 20-somethings…….

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I’m finding that more often than not the youth who are dissappointed in Obama are dissappointed for entirely different reasons than conservatives and libertarians… and that lessens my encouragement at these sorts of displays of that dissappointment. Most of them are unhappy because they want more socialism than he has delivered.

gravityman on August 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

That two (2) Harvard grads would’ve believed in the promises of the Commie, in the first place – is indictment enough.

It breaks my heart that these ignorant, Harvard grads were left holding their genitalia in their hands – by the Commie.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Awwwww. Shiny object no longer shiny.

*single tear*

kim roy on August 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM

She wasn’t stimulated by his package…it happens…

moc23 on August 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Sidebar:

I have to laugh my ass off, knowing that Mommy and Daddy, no doubt, indoctrinated these imbeciles in the Utopia of Communism, but, also, financed these ignorant souls, all the way through Harvard, and now have to move them back home.

Ignorant in, ignorant out.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM

One November day that now seems so long ago
When I was not so smart you know
A smooth talking man came before me
And spoke of all the things he would do for the country
He would chase away all the blue
It seemed like he knew just what to do
He would heal all the wounds
And give us all silver spoons
It seemed like such a dream
I never even suspected it was all just a scheme
“Come vote for me!” he said with such a smile
“Just get high on my hope and change for a while”
But now I understand
Now, now, now I understand
He’s nothing put a lying destructo con man

Cheshire Cat on August 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM

My gaydar just pegged out

faraway on August 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Awwwww. Shiny object no longer shiny.

*single tear*

kim roy on August 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM

LOL, love it!

The simpletons.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’ll say it, Bwwwaaaaaa

D-fusit on August 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

It’s about time many of these kids finally woke up!

LevinFan on August 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

The song is insipid. They lyrics, while mildly amusing, more aptly demonstrate the utter ignorance of these bubble-dwelling children bubble-dwelling parents than they demonstrate some substantive disappointment in Obama’s “policies”. This clearly shows that generation to be a mile (okay, 1/2 mile) wide and an inch deep. Here’s hoping they all stay home in November if they’re inclined to continue to support this despot.

totherightofthem on August 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

And yet he didn’t even vote in 2008 despite all his starry-eyed adoration.

tdpwells on August 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Whenever I see these parody videos of half naked dudes, I no longer feel bad about my body. :P

lorien1973 on August 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

“Of” bubble-dwelling parents. And, I should have added YMMV, with regard to the insipidness of the song. ;)

totherightofthem on August 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

President Zero is longing of the days of Obama Girl.

Deano1952 on August 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

These people thought that Obama was going to fart jobs and prosperity. Well, the unicorn dreams haven’t turned out, and I have no sympathy for them.

A minimum of research could’ve shown them that Obama was going to be an effing disaster of epic proportions, but they wanted to be cool and hip and not racist and vote for the black guy. And this is the result. Thanks, yoots.

crazy_legs on August 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Good Lord, I can’t stand that song.

bmmg39 on August 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

The Harvard graduate-turned-director said that he and Newbrough, the video’s co-creator, were “swept up” in Obama’s fervor last election but are undecided on who to vote for this year.

Still stuck on stupid

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

OBAMA – 5-STAR GENERAL IN THE WAR ON WOMEN.

Mutnodjmet on August 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Good Lord, I can’t stand that song.

bmmg39 on August 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I liked the original a lot more before it hit mainstream radio thanks to Glee got played every 5 minutes.

tdpwells on August 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The sad part is, they simply want him to return to the one of 4 years past. No way these two aren’t voting for the One again.

All he would have to do is put up the columns, stand next to looney clooney and they would be all in. They ate up his lies, and will again.

That is actually how stupid they really are.

so-notbuyingit on August 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

the part about weed was funny

Slade73 on August 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I thought this was incredibly funny.

My favorite line: “Sometimes I think Peace Prize winners shouldn’t have a kill list.”

And I even loved the reference to Romney’s dog strapped to the car.

magicbeans on August 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Obama, who is now 50,

51.

itsnotaboutme on August 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Lame. He’s upset that Obama hasn’t been as hopey and changey as he promised. Never mind the total destruction of the economy, the crony capitialism, the politicization of everything, the demeaning of the office of the President, 2 dead border agents and 300+ dead Mexicans, $5 TRILLION in new debt and chitting all over the Constitution……….he just wants the Obama he thought he knew.

WTH? And where did this dunce get the idea that a half term senator, part time guest speaker and a full time community agitator was capable of anything? Yeah, sport that’s what you get when you vote for someone because of a couple hip campaign slogans, a neat poster and the fact you think having a half-black dude as Prezzy of the United Steezy would be really awesome.

HumpBot Salvation on August 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I met a man, Objangles, and he danced for me
In 1930’s old new deal shoes
With short hair, a flashy shirt and creased pants
The old new deal soft shoe
He tap danced so high, tap danced so high, then he lightly touched down

I met him in a ward in Chicago
I was So down and out
He looked to be the Messiah of the age
As he spoke right out
He talked of hope, he talked of change
But then he laughed and just clicked heels instead

Mister Objangles
Mister Objangles
Mister Objangles
Dance!!!

Cheshire Cat on August 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Good Lord, I can’t stand that song.

bmmg39 on August 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I like how it gives his side, then her side, then you realize he’s a huge douche. Happy ending.

lorien1973 on August 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

the part about weed was funny

Slade73 on August 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’m re posting this for posterity.

Slade73 on August 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Young and stupid… Obama would receive in 2012 the same percentage of the youth vote thayt hereceived in 2008 but less youth would be voting in 2012 than in 2008 so he would be receiving less actual vote from this group. He may lose as much as three million votes nationwide from this group alone for simply showing up in less numbers than they did in 2008.

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Harvard? Our supposed luminaries for the future…. I mourn for my children and the fate of my country.

Skwor on August 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Hopefully he will go back to his campaign promises and I will put my support behind him again,” Monticello said.

The video goes on to criticize Obama for failing to close Guantanamo Bay, stimulate the economy, having a “kill list” and stepping up the prosecution of drug users.

In other words they wanted a full socialist and are sad that Obama only delivered slightly modified European socialism.

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Makes me think of a relative that said to me “I voted for my pocketbook” My response…”YOU SURE DID”

MontanaMmmm on August 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Exactly right. They’re whining in this song about not being taken care of. Thirty-five to be the new voting age. So you can die for your country, get drunk in your country, and then vote in your country. CHRIST!

ahlaphus on August 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

..boy, on another level, these naive young folks, by hitching their wagon to such a dim star, are in for another forty years or so of heartache and disillusionment if they don’t don their big boy/girl pants/panties.

One feels — much as a parent would feel about his children — a profound sadness for them.

Haunting melody though. AND I gave it a 80 because it had a good beat and was easy to dance to.

The War Planner on August 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

His mind is still in the Soros clouds and his talk is still all make believe
Oh lord, the man’s a fraud, he’s a flim flam man

He’s wrapped himself up in a big beautiful box making out like he’ll give out more gifts than Santa Claus
Oh lord, the man’s a fraud, he’s a flim flam man

Oh yeah, the beautiful gent, you know he’ll leave you with hardly any medical care and nary a cent
But maybe he can heal the sick and pay your bills with his charm

His Marxist plans may be back up his sleeve but his talk is still all make believe
Oh lord, the man’s a fraud, he’s a flim flam man

Cheshire Cat on August 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

crazy_legs on August 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, but they soooo wanted to believe in the rainbow sh!ttin unicorn that they forgot to do the research. I teach my kids that you need to do your own research and not be fooled by empty promises made by charlatans. I hope they learn that lesson. I’ll show them this video tonight to gauge the reaction. I know my youngest will howl with laughter at these fools, she really gets it and she’s only 13.

D-fusit on August 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Hey how do ya think the kids feel, when their parents moved in with them.

jake49 on August 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm….Michael Savage may have been right all along. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

NickDeringer on August 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Translation: Yeah I hate Obama and he is a liar, but I am voting for him again!

melle1228 on August 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

And, according to ABC, they’re still undecided as to who to vote for!!!

ahlaphus on August 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Video: Now you’re just Obama that I used to know

Hmmm, another way of putting it: Obama acted Stupidly.

ToddPA on August 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

MontanaMmmm on August 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Was their pocketbook feeling overburdened with all that money in it? Because if so, problem solved.

tdpwells on August 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM

“I need Obama like I used to know”

These dopes didn’t wise up. They’re just looking for a new drug.

rhombus on August 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM

“Alright, it gets a laugh, but in all seriousness can you even articulate what you two would have done with Guantanamo?” Cho asked, referring to the song’s line

-CNN

Ben Hur on August 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM

yeah, these kids are stupid, but they’re earnest.

thereby making them earnestly stupid.

Slade73 on August 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It’s a success because I saw it on a liberal site, and the comments were furious.

Marcus on August 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM

tdpwells on August 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Lost his house.

MontanaMmmm on August 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM

New Grads in “Maybe Barkster isn’t actually Jesus Christ after all SHOCKA!

Seriously, sensible people wouldn’t highlight their abject stupidity in this way.

CorporatePiggy on August 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Dude kinda looks like Rachel Maddow and the chick..Mika from Morning Schoe.

HumpBot Salvation on August 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Hey how do ya think the kids feel, when their parents moved in with them.

jake49 on August 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

They probably moved in with their mommy, since they couldn’t find a job.

Was that Julia whose head became Obama’s left ear?

Steve Z on August 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Now I need Obama that I used to know.

Well, that’s cool and all, except for one thing: That Obama never existed.

Pablo Snooze on August 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I had forgotten the utter inanity “We are the ones you’ve been waiting for”.

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

That man you thought you knew, tool, never existed. 30 minutes of honest research and a little historical literacy could have told you that four years ago.

rrpjr on August 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

lorien1973 on August 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

That’s how I see it, but I don’t think that was the intention of the video. It’s saying “he’s changed”, but what really happened was “we fell for the obvious bullshit”.

The Rogue Tomato on August 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Sigh….could have been much more clever…
It was not a dig about Obama, more a call for more Obama….finish the things he did not do…

albill on August 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I thought these Ivy League schools were supposed to educate some of our best and brightest. Judging by how many of this bunch voted for Obozo I’m questioning their intelligence. I’ve seen checkers at the Wal Mart with more smarts than these two.

neyney on August 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You should see the video of them on CNN.

Ben Hur on August 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I doubt CNN ever grilled Obama as much as they did these kids.

Shtetl G on August 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

The Obama that they used to know . . . never existed. He was a marketing creation of David Axelrod, sold to ignorant and willing dupes, like these two.

AZCoyote on August 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Aww, this was cute and clever.
But now the song is stuck in my head again.

LASue on August 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Harvard University graduates,hmmmm,can they make a good pizza?

docflash on August 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

You didn’t build that, so we’ll unburden you from it !

Yes, He’s outright said it !!
NOT gonna go over well !!

pambi on August 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

“Hey, you stupid kids…it takes time to ‘heal the earth and lower the seas…you dopes!!!!11111!!!”
~Barkey

Strike Hornet on August 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Emotional, gullible and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Good Lt on August 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM

You didn’t build that, so we’ll unburden you from it !

Yes, He’s outright said it !!
NOT gonna go over well !!

pambi on August 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

..reminiscent.
Last weekend, Hannity ran one of his one-hour special show that focused on Obama’s broken promises in three areas: the space program, the Keystone pipeline, and coal. Not a big fan of Hannity, I found this show to be nonetheless very interesting as he replayed the promises (A.K.A., blatant lies) that crapsack uttered.

Most chilling/revealing of all was where his actions over the past 47 months directly and devastatingly went back on he pledged in speeches to the folks at Cape Canaveral.

The War Planner on August 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM

pambi on August 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Sorry, forgot the OT part.
This window was open, is all.
;-)

pambi on August 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

He was always the Obama that you used to know–you just didn’t really know him.

Dunedainn on August 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Another day, another disastrous poll for Mitt…

This time from CNN…

Obama 52
Romney 45

Obama destroys “electable” Mitt among Independents by 11 points.

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

gravityman on August 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

AND! He didn’t lower the sea levels.

Alabama Infidel on August 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Another day, another disastrous poll for Mitt…

This time from CNN…

Obama 52
Romney 45

Obama destroys “electable” Mitt among Independents by 11 points.

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Too bad Democrats can’t over-sample themselves at the voting booths, isn’t it?

Good Lt on August 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

but are undecided on who to vote for this year.

If you are not sure maybe you should just stay up late the night before and sleep in the next day. Mkay? Thanks!

tims472 on August 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

They didn’t make that.

Ronnie on August 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

OT: The people on The Five are stupid. They are blaming Soptic. Obama’s team is ready to pounce on the the heartless right wingers.

faraway on August 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

faraway on August 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

So stop watching it.

Kill your television.

Good Lt on August 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Another day, another disastrous poll for Mitt…

This time from CNN…

Obama 52
Romney 45

Obama destroys “electable” Mitt among Independents by 11 points.

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Oh well. But thanks for letting me know. I won’t waste any more of my time or money supporting that Romney character. You’re a good guy.

LASue on August 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Another day, another disastrous poll for Mitt…

This time from CNN…

Obama 52
Romney 45

Obama destroys “electable” Mitt among Independents by 11 points.

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

And right on cue..here comes hopeyandchangey.

HumpBot Salvation on August 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’d hate to be wearing all of that body paint. Just sayin’.

a known dangerous urinal on August 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Kinda late to the party on the “Obama That I Used to Know” vid Erika.

Rush’s “More About Mitt” is clearly the best parody of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViUkppnjq8

Lawdawg86 on August 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM

ask gumbeyandpokey how much he was looking forward to the coronation of John Francois Kerry in 2004.

The polls were even more favorable for him over Bush.

Obama doesn’t stand a chance. LMFAO!

tom daschle concerned on August 9, 2012 at 5:37 PM

aww, where’s upperyeastench to comment about how thrilled the youth is to obama…

jimver on August 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I don’t know. I’m heavily into social networking and I still see a trend of most young people leaning Obama or simply like me, not having much hope in our two party system at all. With that said, I dont think a lot of young people are paying attention over the summer, I do think youll see a lot more activity once BET/MTV start rolling out their “Rock the Vote” campaigns. Dont worry, itll be tons of songs,tshirts and buttons coming soon.

Politricks on August 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The original song sucks. The parody is weak. Weak parody of bad song = total suckage.

AngusMc on August 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Translation: Yeah I hate Obama and he is a liar, but I am voting for him again!

melle1228 on August 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You forgot, …”because those evil republicans are only about making money for themselves; and they want to take away our ability to buy contraceptives…, well, at least they want to take away our ability to have the taxpayers pay for our contraceptives and abortions; and they hate homosexuals and want to invade their bedrooms and stuff; and they hate black people and don’t want black people to be able to live off the taxpayers like us hippie white kids do; and….”

Sterling Holobyte on August 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Do you want to know what is more telling from this video…

… It’s that even with a Harvard education, these two don’t realize that Obowma got everthing that he asked for and more with his executive orders.

The resulting damage to our economy and Country was by design based upon his Marxist/Socialist ideology and disdain for this Country’s history…

… They were sold a lie wrapped up in propaganda and pop culture, and are bummed now that the fairy tale didn’t come true, but still refuse to see the truth that is Obowma.

Pathetic…

Seven Percent Solution on August 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Link along with demo info, please?

And no, I shouldn’t have to go get it. You are lamely trying to use it as a club so you provide the facts.

kim roy on August 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

don’t seem like they’re completely politically ignorant

I don’t know whether they’re ignorant or stupid. They are at least one of those, in spades.

burt on August 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

He was never the Obama you used to know kid. Now suck it up, quit looking for someone else to solve your problems and get a job.

29Victor on August 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

burt on August 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

They voted for someone with no experience, no record of accomplishment and no core beliefs because he said things that made them feel good. Now they feel bad so they make a song, because making a song makes them feel good. There is no intellect there.

Oh, and “spades” is rrrrraaacccccciiiisssstttttt

29Victor on August 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Pathetic…

Seven Percent Solution on August 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

and funny in a pathetic sort of way.

Fallon on August 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Link along with demo info, please?

kim roy on August 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

No D/R/I breakdown.

Del Dolemonte on August 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

“Now I want Obama that I used to know”

So, they want lied to again?

boomer on August 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I got to the first chorus then had to bail. Yuck.

Kid, you never *knew* Obama ’cause you never did your homework on him. You just blindly believed what the MSM told you instead of finding out about the *real* man. The facts were out there – you just had to do a little looking on your own. Hell, it wasn’t hard – at the very least, you could have looked at his voting record during his cup o’ coffee in the Senate. Hard left and “present” is all he voted there. Ever. How is that transformational change, you idiot?

You got duped, kid. Get used to it – have a strange feeling it’ll be a recurring theme in your life.

HEY, RUBE!

RedNewEnglander on August 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Best part: “He’s a jackass …” at the end… LOL

PointnClick on August 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

No D/R/I breakdown.

Del Dolemonte on August 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

RV not LV, so you can assume a 5 point shift to the D side over what the election will actually show… so it’s more like a 2 point spread for a prediction of the election, not 7.

Unless we think 2012 will be a huge turnout year… I’m not seeing that.

gekkobear on August 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

HEY, RUBE!

RedNewEnglander on August 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I don’t think that would’ve changed his mind about voting for Obama.

Sterling Holobyte on August 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Another day, another disastrous poll for Mitt…

This time from CNN…

Obama 52
Romney 45

Obama destroys “electable” Mitt among Independents by 11 points.

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

And the same day, another disastrous poll for Barry…

Rasmussen, back to the pre-jobs report bounce numbers:

Romney 47
Obama 43

Proving once again that getting excited about August polls is a fool’s game. Not that I’m calling anyone a fool…

IamDA on August 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM