Portman: “I think I’ll end up staying” in the Senate

posted at 2:41 pm on August 9, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The time is getting just about right for Romney to announce his VP selection — the convention is barely two weeks away — and as Allahpundit related last night, there are reports circulating that Romney has narrowed his choices down to Tim Pawlenty, Rob Portman, and Paul Ryan. I agree that it doesn’t really feel like Chris Christie (or Marco Rubio) is in the running, but if the reports are true, I can’t fathom why for pete’s sake Bobby Jindal’s name isn’t on that list after he’s been stumping steadily for Romney all summer. Harumph.

Perhaps Romney has narrowed his choices even further, however, if Ohio Sen. Rob Portman telling a CNN reporter he intends to stay in the Senate, while he was campaigning for Romney in Colorado on Wednesday, means anything.

“I just got elected two years ago. I think that’s where I’m going to end up staying,” Portman said when asked his thoughts about possibly leaving the Senate and becoming vice president. …

“That’s where I think I’ll end up being.”

Moments before, the senator used similar words, telling a reporter, “We need Mitt Romney. And I will help him all I can. But I’ll probably stay in the United States Senate.”

Playing coy? Stoking the speculation? Staying positive for when he doesn’t get the nod? And of course, it’s also possible Team Romney has yet to decide and Portman legitimately doesn’t yet know whether he’ll be offered the slot, in which case it’s always wise to leave yourself a bit of rhetorical cushion about your focus and commitment to your current job, etcetera. Time shall tell…

Comments

My money’s still on Ryan.

steebo77 on August 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think he’ll stay in the Senate too.

El_Terrible on August 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I’m actually leaning more towards Rob Portman after finding out more about him. He should have his own action figure based on the stuff he’s done. Aside from him I’d like to see Bobby Jindal, but I’m not sold on Tim Pawlenty, so that’s who I expect to get picked. It’s been that kind of election year so far…

CitizenEgg on August 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It seems so obvious that it will be Rubio.

libfreeordie on August 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I think he’ll stay in the Senate too.

El_Terrible on August 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Me, three.

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Of course, VP is President of the Senate, so maybe that’s what he means.

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Not that anybody would notice or has noticed up to now…

Valkyriepundit on August 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It’s gonna be Hillary.

sentinelrules on August 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Of course, VP is President of the Senate, so maybe that’s what he means.

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

+++ I like that thought

CitizenEgg on August 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Pawlenty must be so excited!

Jeddite on August 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Thank God. Portman would be an absolute disaster as VP.

He was “campaigning” for Romney here in Colorado yesterday and was a total dud. His best turnout was a crowd of 38 people. Just pathetic.

Norwegian on August 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I’ll put my money on Tpaw. He dropped out to easily in Iowa and Romney is a long term planner not a last minute decider.

meci on August 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Even though I’m pulling for Ryan, I’m reminded of other head-fake declarations in our time:

Nick Saban – “I will not be the coach at Alabama.”

Bill Clinton – “I did not have sex with that woman…Ms. Lewinsky”

Barack Obama – ….too many to list!

AubieJon on August 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It’ll be Tiny Tim. Book it.

Romney doesn’t have the overwhelming stones between his legs to tell the media to go f**k themselves and pick Palin again, nor does he have the guts to pick Jindal.

So, it’ll be Timmy.

Where’s my blanket? It’s going to be a looooooooooong campaign season.

victor82 on August 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

+++ I like that thought

CitizenEgg on August 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

My wife and I have met him. He’s a nice enough guy and competent. But he’s not bringing any new votes to the table.

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I’m starting to think it might be McDonnell. It’s a state Romney needs, and McDonnell has an incredibly impressive resume. But, jeez, he and Romney look like they were separated at birth, a couple of Ken dolls.

Rational Thought on August 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

He has also said more than once on local radio here (610WTVN), “I’m not interested.”

tdpwells on August 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Rational Thought on August 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

No way. I can’t look past McDonnell’s massive forehead…

Common Sense Floridian on August 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Ayotte.

sentinelrules on August 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Jindal, Ryan or darkhorse.

gophergirl on August 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

McDonnell.

DRayRaven on August 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Rational Thought on August 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’m thinking McDonnell today too. He could definitely swing Virginia. He’s a social con and a fiscal con, and has not only served himself in the Army, he has a daughter who served in Iraq.

He reminds me of Marc Racicot, who was governor of Montana in 2000 and turned out to be a ferocious attack dog during the Florida recount.

rockmom on August 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

New racist attack ad:

Col Allen West beating up elderly white women

Yeah, you just thought Mitt killed my wife was bad….

Imagine a Republican ad using Obama robbing and beating up white people….

Resist We Much on August 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Jindal, Ryan or darkhorse.

gophergirl on August 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Racist.

Common Sense Floridian on August 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

It’ll be RUBIO! to try to win the Hispanics over.

inthemiddle on August 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Rational Thought on August 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

DRayRaven on August 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

rockmom on August 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’ll just add that in terms of pure strategy, I agree with the people saying McDonnell would be a good choice for Romney.

That being said, I’m about convinced his pick is T-Paw.

Doomberg on August 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Imagine a Republican ad using Obama robbing and beating up white people….

Resist We Much on August 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Or white latinos, like his son!

de rigueur on August 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM

From McDonnell’s official bio:

As noted on Fox News in January of 2011, “Chief among the governor’s priorities for Virginia has been job creation.” (Fox News, Jan. 22, 2011) The unemployment rate in Virginia has fallen from 7.2% when McDonnell took office to 5.6% today, which is the 3rd lowest rate east of the Mississippi. Virginia was named in 2011 by CNBC as “The Top State for Business” in the country, with the highest total score in the history of the survey. Since beginning of the administration, Virginia has added 111,900 net new jobs and the number of unemployed Virginians has decreased by 21% (-53,346) since the governor took office.

Governor McDonnell represents Virginia in other leadership roles as well. He currently serves as Chairman of the Republican Governors Association, Chairman of the Southern Growth Policies Board, Chairman of the Southern Regional Education Board, and Chair of the Legal Affairs Committee of the National Governors Association.

It has been a long road leading to this point. But McDonnell has never been alone. For 36 years he and Maureen have been married. They now have 5 children, ages 20-31. Their oldest daughter, Jeanine, answered the same call to military service as her Dad and both her Grandfathers. She completed service in the U.S. Army, including a tour of duty in Baghdad, Iraq in 2005-2006.

Service, honor, hard work. Those are the values that have gotten Governor Bob McDonnell to this point. And they are the values that will define his term as Virginia’s 71st Governor.

Sounds like a perfect match for Romney.

rockmom on August 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Fred?

faraway on August 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….Maybe because Bobby Jindal endorsed Rick Perry, ehh, ahh…the vere worst candidate in the history.

Falz on August 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

It’ll be RUBIO! to try to win the Hispanics over.

inthemiddle on August 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

It will be Biden to try and win older white male imbeciles over.

STAND UP CHUCK!!!

Kataklysmic on August 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

It will be much ado about nothing, once the choice is made.

Only a Sarah Palin-esque choice for the VP spot makes it interesting, but it will be a safe choice for Romney.

Other than that, the media will largely ignore Romney’s VP pick because thy won’t want to bring any attention to it, and besides- Slo Joe Biden is not gonna be allowed anywhere near the spotlight or a microphone.

A VP blackout until a boring debate. Oh boy.

FlaMurph on August 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

From McDonnell’s official bio:

Sounds like a perfect match for Romney.

rockmom on August 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

yes, he has everything that mittens lacks (especially the service and honor parts).

Pragmatic on August 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

It’s going to be either McDonnell or Christie.

Romney has made it CLEAR that he will be choosing someone with governing experience. That leaves out Portman, Rubio and Ryan. Pawlenty has even a softer persona than Mitt, if that is possible, so he is out. I mean, why pick the guy who dropped out of the Presidential race first as your running mate? Jindal? Just nothing special about him that would juice the ticket. He is solid guy but no charisma.

That leaves McDonnell and Christie. McDonnell may be the best choice but Christie has been carrying Romney’s water longer than anyone. Also, Romney needs an attack dog so he can remain the statesman. But then again, McDonnell probably delivers VA.

Flip a coin – one of those two.

mitchellvii on August 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM

He doesn’t want to be accused of murder

faraway on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Seriously, am I the only one who can see through this obvious diversion? The first rule of VP selections is that you try to make it some sort of surprise. Hence the congealing CW that it “must be” one of either Ryan, Portman, or Pawlenty…because they’re going to choose someone else and their non-inclusion on the list of finalists will create some spark and fizz.

And, given that Romney simply won’t choose someone who is untested or unqualified, that actually makes it RATHER LIKELY that the final answer will be Jindal.

C’mon, I can’t be the only guy who sees this, right?

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

But…but…but his wikipedia page has been edited a bunch of times!!!

At least, that’s what some moron stated was proof positive that Portman was the pick.

MadisonConservative on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I don’t believe the short list is THAT short. Someone in Team Romney probably threw that “bone” to the hungry media hounds, so they waste time chasing those three, and ignore the REAL nominee until Romney is ready to announce him.

Romney has nothing to gain by announcing a VP nominee either this week or next week. This week, people aren’t paying attention due to the Olympics. Next week is the lead-up to the Democrat convention. Why would Romney want to subject his eventual nominee to the inevitable bashing by the media during a normally “dead time” in politics? Isn’t it better to keep them guessing, and for Romney to spend more time with all his potential VP candidates and find out who helps him most?

The best time for Romney to announce his VP nominee would be right before the Democrat convention. It would steal some thunder from the Democrats, yet the media would be split between covering the Democrats and the new nominee, which would allow the nominee time to introduce himself to the public without being hounded by the media until after the Republican convention.

As for Pawlenty, Portman, and Ryan, it’s probably none of the above.

Steve Z on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Portman would have been a terrible pick with his past connection to the Bush Administration.

It would have been very easy for Obama to have made the “we’re putting the same people back in charge that caused this mess” line of nonsense, and for it to stick since Portman was indeed Bush’s Budget Director. The GOP needs a clean break from Bush, and I also think a ticket built around Washington “outsiders” has appeal to independents.

Also, Portman will put you to sleep, I think the ticket needs a little more excitement.

BradTank on August 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Just to get conspiratorial, Christie may have been the guy all along. I always wondered why Christie gave us the whole “I’m not ready” song and dance as far as running for POTUS.

Could it be that Romney came to Christie early on and said, “Hey man, if you stay out of the race, I’ll pick you as my VP…”? I think it could.

mitchellvii on August 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM

THANK YOU. I’m not going crazy — at least one other person here sees what (to me) is a transparently obvious head-fake.

I suppose that Christie or McDonnell could also be potential choices, but 1.) it will be a governor; 2.) Jindal really seems like the most likely choice. Pretty much no downsides, tons of upside. If the Dems think they can make any sort of hay out of a goofy SOTU response three years ago they’re foolin’ themselves. Jindal is plenty engaging and will play very well to the middle-of-the-roaders who like the ‘diversity’ aspect as well as Jindal’s obvious intellectual credentials and mastery of issues.

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Steve Z on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That is an incredibly good point.

MadisonConservative on August 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM

C’mon, I can’t be the only guy who sees this, right?

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I hope it’s not Jindal, although he’d be the best choice. It’d be shame to see yet another promising pol go down in yet another squish trainwreck.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM

C’mon, I can’t be the only guy who sees this, right?

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You’re not the only guy who sees it that way, Esoteric. If Romney wanted to make a surprise, “out-of-the-box” pick, Jindal would be the best of the bunch–despite his youth, he’s already in his second term as Governor after two terms in the House, and no one could claim that Jindal is “dumb” as they said about Sarah Palin. Jindal is as smart as they come, and would look like a genius in a debate against Biden!

Steve Z on August 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

If it’s Jindal, though, there is the real danger of a lot of “the ticket needs to be reversed” sentiment going on. Jindal’s more “qualified” than Romney, even at his young age. He’s also got more ideological integrity. So I don’t know if Team R would want to risk that.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Debt 08.03.12: $15,904,628,648,096.12

Debt 01.20.09: $10,626,877,048,913.08

An increase of: $5,277,751,599.183.04
Public debt on 01.20.09: $6,307,310,739,681.66

Public debt on 08.03.12: $11,121,816,561,855.34

Obama has increased the debt held by the public by 76.33% – SEVENTY-SIX & 33/100 in 1,292 DAYS.

Resist We Much on August 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

and no one could claim that Jindal is “dumb” as they said about Sarah Palin.

Steve Z on August 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

“They” can say that about anybody. It remains to be seen if in Jindal’s case enough GOPers would buy into the meme.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Steve Z on August 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

As Rush always says, go against the CW. It’s almost always wrong.

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I’m thinking it will be TPaw and this was all arranged back at the very beginning of the primaries when TPaw very suddenly withdrew after drawing blood with the Obamneycare remark. I think Mitt promised him the VP slot if TPaw dropped out and backed him.

AngusMc on August 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

If Jindal turns out not to have been strongly considered, it will certainly be for the reasons you list. There’s no other explanation unless he has skeletons which I highly doubt.

Kataklysmic on August 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

boy is that ever true!

Pragmatic on August 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Flip a coin – one of those two.

mitchellvii on August 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Yup. Both of them fit well with Romney and both were elected in the first wave of the Obama backlash. McDonnell won more votes than any canddiate for Governor in the history of the state. That has to be attractive to Romney. Both Governors have stellar records on jobs and education reform and getting stuff done in a bipartisan way while still maintaining conservative principles.

rockmom on August 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

AngusMc on August 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

He didn’t “suddenly withdraw after drawing blood with the Obamneycare remark”. He dropped out 2 months later after losing to Bachmann in the Ames Straw Poll.

Bitter Clinger on August 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

ddrintn and Pragmatic are literally the two most predictable concern trolls on this site. I mean, *I* could write their posts for them. (“NOBAMA/NOMITTENS! PALIN/WEST 2012!!”)

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

ddrintn and Pragmatic are literally the two most predictable…

Esoteric on August 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Those are called ‘principles‘ and they don’t change with the direction of the political wind, so they do tend to be rather predictable.

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I’m guessing/hoping Rubio. He’s very popular already, young, charismatic, articulate, and could add a hope-y/change-y vibe to the Romney campaign. He also has been pretty well vetted, having already survived a hotly contested nationalized Republican primary and general election in 2010.

RomRub ’12

The Bringer on August 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM

It’ll be RUBIO! to try to win the Hispanics over.

inthemiddle on August 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

It would be seen as pandering, and that’s exactly what it would be.

Labamigo on August 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Going out on a limb here and predicting Nevada governor Brian Sandoval.

He’s hispanic and can give the GOP Nevada’s EV’s.

playblu on August 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I called it for Petreus, or someone similar, back during the primary. I still think there is more to that rumor than meets the eye.

Mr. Arkadin on August 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

sharrukin

It’s called being stupid, and it defines them both perfectly.

xblade on August 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

….and we all know, your principles are better than everyone else’s.

I wonder if Ocommie thinks he’s a “principled man” ?……..hmmmm…

FlaMurph on August 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Mitt would be wise to conserve and protect every Republican Senator he can.

The real power, after the Presidency, will be in Congress, and there are no guarantees of a majority, unless my reading of the polls is completely wrong.

Mittster is not really inspiring the “fight for me” atmosphere I’d hoped for, and the ‘Romneycare gaffe’ by his underling this week is a real deadfall.

He’s going to need every bit of help he can, and removing even one Rep. Sen. is a mistake.

heldmyw on August 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It will be either Pawlenty or Jindal. I’ll be okay with the former, but I’m rooting for the latter.

If I’m wrong, then when the pick is announced, I’ll quote myself and say “I was wrong.”

JimLennon on August 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

If the VP nominee this year can find the US on a world map, then we’re already leaps and bounds ahead of where we were in 2008 with the Sarah Palin disaster.

bluegill on August 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM