Obama now leads Romney by 11 among independents in new CNN and Fox News polls

posted at 8:01 pm on August 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Don’t focus on the topline numbers since it’s hard to gauge how reliable they are. The Fox poll has O leading 49/40 based on a sample of D+9; last month he led 45/41 with a sample of just D+4. As for CNN, they’ve got Obama up 52/45 but provide no partisan breakdown with which to judge the sample.

What to do, then? Let’s focus on the indies. CNN:

The margin of error increases for a subsample, as you can see, but that’s a lot of cushion for the Unicorn Prince. No mystery where it’s coming from, either: According to CNN, 52 percent of indies have an unfavorable view of Romney now compared to just 40 percent who had one in May. Fox sees a similar overall margin:

Lots of undecideds there, obviously, but the trendlines in Romney’s favorables aren’t encouraging after a solid month of Bain-mania. CNN’s and Fox’s numbers, respectively:

Amazingly, The One’s not paying much of a price yet for negativity. When asked if Romney has attacked Obama unfairly, the response is 44/50 between “has” and “has not.” Obama’s numbers are almost identical at 45/49, suggesting that perceptions on this question are still breaking along predictable party lines. Maybe that’ll change in the next week or two; this poll was conducted over the last few days, before the sleaze-tastic steelworker ad really started buzzing.

I don’t like the looks of either of these numbers, though:

Of the last four elections, only Clinton in 1996 had more lopsided numbers on that last question. (On the other hand, by a margin of 52/37, voters expected Gore to defeat Bush as of mid-September 2000.) Here’s the key question: Given that Romney and the constellation of conservative Super PACs have yet to really unload on O, there’s obviously going to be some movement in his numbers down the line just as there’s been movement in Romney’s numbers now after the Bain attacks. But how much? The two sides aren’t similarly situated; Romney’s an unknown quantity for most while Obama’s been the most famous man on the planet for four years. Not only does that make it harder for the GOP to define him than it was for him to define Mitt, but it gives O a much simpler task with regard to the shrinking pool of undecideds. Those people are already wary of reelecting him (that’s why they’re undecided), so they’re essentially Romney persuadables. Romney needs to persuade them, but all Obama needs to do is keep Romney on the defensive and keep the campaign dumb and nasty so that those persuadables stop caring and stay home. It’s incredibly cynical but it’s his best bet. If you believe these two polls, it’s working okay so far.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who ?

jimver on August 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Rassmussen

gophergirl on August 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

For a sec the thought that he meant someone other than just Rasmussen…

jimver on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

ddrintn do you not want to defeat Obama? Or are you more concerned about taking pot shots at Romney? Honest question.

wargamer6 on August 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Let me use a little salty language on ya. I don’t give a f*** about Obama, I don’t give a f*** about Romney. I don’t give a f*** about Red, I don’t give a f*** about Blue. I care about changing the direction of the country, which is headed off the cliff. And a damn Dem Lite isn’t going to do anything to stop — STOP — the descent. NOTHING. Get over this personalizing the thing into some Obama-is-Satan claptrap. Obama isn’t the disease, he’s a SYMPTOM.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I’ve maintained that Romney’s shirking of the Chick Fil A issue [and immigration] has SERIOUSLY hurt him with Dem leaning independents, and Dems

Totally agree. It’s always been a RINO fallacy to maintain that dodging controversial issues is smart startegy with independent voters. Reagan demolished that fear-based nonsense but yet it persists. Reagan didn’t monger or demagogue such issues, he just said what he believed and it was always common sense and resonated with people sick of cowardice and canned political answers. How do you think he won so many independents and democrats?

But the repercussions of cowardice are inescapable and cross political boundaries. Romney’s appallingly gutless (and appallingly worded) dismissiveness of the Chick-fil-A matter, his misreading of its cultural importance, seriously hurt him. It was about free speech and Romney didn’t get it — at all.

rrpjr on August 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

rrpjr, so that we and Romney wins, what you’ve just said needs to be put up in lights, to have a hotair blog post devoted just to that, to be foremost in the mind of the talking heads at fox news.

anotherJoe on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I read an interesting statistic today. This is for the ABR’s trolls.

While governor of MA, he vetoed more bills than all of his predecessors combined. He had an 85% democrat legislator working against him.

I won’t call him a true conservative, but this claim he is no different than Obama is complete and utter nonsense.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Who knows, sharrukin? “Boy Scouts should be allowed to keep gays out, but gays should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts.” Pffft. It’s Romney showing more of his fatal disease.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The difference between Obama and Romney on this is so subtle that most people won’t even notice.

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

The Boy Scouts have taken all kinds of grief from the gay mafia. They’ve taken all kinds of grief because their Scout oath is, “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.”

Why not just say its a private organization that can set their own rules?

The Boy Scouts know a Dem is never going to support them, but the organization probably hoped the Republican nominee would at least not publicly disagree with it.

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

No one believes you. So why don’t you just leave before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Well that answers my question. I just wonder when you’re going to start attacking Obama.

wargamer6 on August 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Not at all, the same that Obama is not finished when Romney is leading him in the Rasmussen poll by 3 or 4 points. The very powerful point that I am making and you are ignoring because it does not fit your delusional universe is that Daily Tracking polls like Rasmussen and to a lesser degree Gallup that each poll over 30,000 people each month are vastly more accurate than biased media organizations where each of these organization poll once each month, they insanely oversample democrats in their polls, and they poll less than 1/30 (one over thirty) of what Rasmussen and Gallup each poll each month…

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

When did I say that either of these polls cited are correct? My gut feeling is that if the election were held right now, Romney would lose.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

+100

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Obama (like it or not) has a VISION for America.

Romney is the next in line pathetic RINO the gop foisted on the base. And hey Palin, thanks for not having the stones to run against President Train Wreck.

I’m thinking if Obama wins in November I’m just going to quit work, sit on my arse and complain about the rich and get latched onto the teat o the Federal Sow.

TEATERNami on November 6th!!!!

PappyD61 on August 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

LET’S REPEAT AUTO BAILOUT SUCCESS ‘WITH EVERY INDUSTRY’…

Why aren’t we talking about what Obama said today in Colorado…if this doesn’t frighten everyone with a brain in this country, nothing will.

gracie on August 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Wait a minute. Didn’t you believe those that said Romney is The Only One Who Can Beat Obama?

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

No more than the polls that say X can beat Y.

It’s a *poll*. Its about as telling as the survey card one fills out when shopping online or in a catalog. Sometimes people are honest about what they will or won’t do…sometimes they’re not.

But either way, it’s *not* the same as asking every registered voter “who are you going to vote for” because even that won’t reflect true because some folks may not be able to vote that day for one reason or another.

Before you say it, let me save you some trouble. I’m not a Romney supporter and he wasn’t my 1st choice, but if he’s got the delegates then I will support him as the nominee OVER Obama, because out of the two, Obama is clearly the worse of two choices…effin dot period.

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

“Tell ya what gumboy, here’s a wager for you.

I’ve been here at HotGas since the first day it went live.

If Bambi wins the election, I’ll come here, write that you were brilliant and I was not and congratulate you on the win. Once I post it, I’ll leave here, never to return.

If Mitt wins, you do the same.

Wager?

BacaDog on August 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM”

That’s a very fair bet. But you don’t even have to leave if you don’t want to. If I lose, I’ll say whatever you want me to and leave.

gumbyandpokey on August 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I also don’t give a f*** what a bunch of Rombot brownshirts believes. I’ve been commenting here for quite a while. You find some pro-Obama, pro-left wing statement I’ve ever made, let’s have it.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Romney wasn’t my first choice either, Perry was. Now the goal is to defeat Obama.

wargamer6 on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Why not just say its a private organization that can set their own rules?

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I agree. The GOP doesn’t have much interest in reversing the social tide that has created Obama, they just want to cash in and need a conservative base to put them in a position to do that. So they mouth empty platitudes and never back them up.

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

rrpjr on August 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

This is what those of you who disagree with this issue need to realize.

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Oh, good grief Have you really never thought that someone was wrong, but also recognized that they had the right to make that decision? It is a perfectly logical position.

McDuck on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

MITT is NOT likeable.

And how did that European Vacay work out for you Senator Dole…..I mean Governor Romney.

PappyD61 on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

You’re an unpleasant person and a lying troll. I sincerely hope you have the ban hammer dropped squarely on your head.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Whatever, ya little totalitarians. Let it come. You can’t argue with anyone with FACTS, so you squeal for the Ban Hammer.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

LOL, hilarious. So tomorrow or the next day when Rasmussen shows that Obama’s in the lead by 2 or 3 or 4, it means Mitt is FINISHED!!!!! Right?

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I don’t think that’s possible at this point (the poll results I mean).

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Who do you consider to be trolls?

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM
anyone who doesn’t care for mitt. same as it always was.

rik on August 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

What do you expect? Half of the country is on some form of government welfare.

Labamigo on August 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I don’t think that’s possible at this point (the poll results I mean).

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Well, Obama led just the other day. The polls are volatile. As always. But Romney supporters are so accustomed to seeking self-validation through Gallup and Rasmussen, they can’t handle anything but rosy scenarios.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

That was a meme during the primaries and was rebutted at the time.

And I can’t believe the silliness of calling people who don’t like Romney trolls. It’s a very weak ad hominem.

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Andrea Saul: Strippers and cross-country skiers get free health insurance under Romneycare.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Who do you consider to be trolls?

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM
anyone who doesn’t care for mitt. same as it always was.

rik on August 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yep.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Don’t fight it. It’s Luv!!

rik on August 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

And [on top of Chick Fil A], illegal immigration, well, Romney was a spit fire about it during the primaries, but we haven’t seen much of that Romney since he secured the nod.

AllahsNippleHair on August 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Mitt seems to have definitely etch a sketched that out. But that’s not going to win the spineless waffler an election. You can’t eat your cake and have it too. He’s going to spill his cake all over the floor, and slip and fall on it, and spill the cookies on what he was trying to eat. Take a stand!

anotherJoe on August 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

anyone who doesn’t care for mitt. same as it always was.

rik on August 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

That’s at least the third time I’ve asked the question. When people start throwing around generalities of calling everyone on a thread who criticizes Romney a troll or moby, then I want specific names. I haven’t gotten one yet. If and when I do, then I want to know why exactly that label is accurate.

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Nice try, but you’re not gonna convince the ABR trolls of anything. They’d rather re-elect Obama than have someone other than whomever they supported win, and that’s the bottom line.

changer1701 on August 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

LOL! What ever you say Obama closet voter. You’re a fraud and you’re angry because we all now it.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I’m not referring to those who don’t like Romney or simply criticize his policies or past choices. Heck, I am no fan of Romney. I am nearly referring to those who scream at the top of their lungs that he is a raving liberal like Obama. He’s not.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Okay, so no color Crayolas for you then… :o)

No sh*t. Why the heck do you think most of the posters here want this Administration gone?

But no one is claiming that Romney is George Washington Redux. OTOH, calling Romney a “Dem Light” isn’t going to make Obama more palatable either.

Again, you want a purity that isn’t avalible to the people right now. Sure I would love to hear Romney come out as Reagan did back in 1980…but then you’ll be the ones leading the charge saying “he’s flip flopping on issue X..”.

You may not like Romney, but you, me and the country have NO chance with another 4 years of Obama.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

No, he’s the PRESIDENT, who’s policies as of the last 4 years, have NOT made the country better….you wanna double down with the same guy holding those dice?

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I’ve been labeled as such, and I’ve asked for specific comments I’ve made in support of Obama and/or liberal policies. I haven’t received one response, other than the little totalitarian Pure Thought patroller’s remark above.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I agree, somewhat…but if you dig into most of the polls the LSM is putting out, there is some serious sampling questions that need to be asked, or at the least broadcasted.

I may be fooling myself, but the LSM has a vested interest in re-electing this moron and I don’t believe anything they put out there.

Call me crazy (and I have been called worse), but I don’t think this election will be as close as the degenerates would like you to believe, IMHO.

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I heard the same thing in 2008. If the elections are so damn important and so damn life-and-death, why offer up squishes and assorted other losers-before-it-begins as the alternative?

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Come on. You’ve got a GOP establishment which doesn’t care if Obama or Romney wins, or if spending is cut, or if the size of government is decreased. They just want to control the purse strings and committee chairs and the like. The whole thing is rotten.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Eeyore-pundit, stop blogging for the night and go have a beer. It’s Friday eve in mid-August. Relax.

runningpundit on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

No one is saying that he is as bad as Obama. He isn’t. And most of us who criticize him will vote for him because, again, this is a lesser of two evils election. But since this is a site that encourages political discussion, those who whine that all who don’t agree with them are trolls, are rather juvenile.

Rose on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Because Rasmussen Daily tracking poll and to a lesser degree Gallup Daily Tracking poll are by far the most accurate polls for the reasons and they are vastly more accurate than the other media polls that I explained few times in previous posts on this thread. It is not that we are seeking a “rosy scenario” it is that we are seeking Accuracy. It is you who is seeking rosy scenarios through the laughable media polls that are insanely oversampling democrats and poll 1/30 of what each Rasmussen and Gallup poll each month…

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Rose on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Lesser of two evils? Seriously?

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I take that back. The GOPe does NOT want change of any kind, really. They’re as in love with the status quo as the Dems are. Which is why ANY threat of a reformer appearing is going to be slapped down immediately. I don’t care if it’s Palin or anyone else.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I’m not seeking anything. I’m having a good laugh at all you Mittbots who seemed to have put SOOOOOO much stock in polls showing Mitt to be Mr Invincible Electable Inevitable, and now all of a sudden polls are meaningless. It’s hilarious.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Lesser of two evils? Seriously?

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Yes, seriously. Otherwise Mittfans would be telling people WHY they should vote FOR Romney rather than against Obama.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I’d also like for Romney in 2012 to have the guts to support Chick-fil-A and the 1st Amendment.

INC on August 9, 2012 at 9:07PM

Hi INC. I just wanted to say thanks for sticking up for me yesterday with my “off topic” post. And, of course, I am in agreement with you about Chick Fil A. This is insane what Romney is doing.

anotherJoe on August 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Lesser of two evils? Seriously?

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

She was making the point the Romney is silent on socials, and that’s important to her, and I as well…

idesign on August 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Rose on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Yes…yes there are those people. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you miss a lot of their posts. Though if you read HotAir dailey they’re not hard to miss.

Again, I am not calling people like you a troll for disagreeing or lacking enthusiasm for Romney. I am calling those people(and they do indeed exist within the Hotair walls) trolls who claim he’s a flaming liberal who’s no better than Obama.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Social issues…

idesign on August 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Liar.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Oh hell, you want answers to questions that those in the Party itself can’t answer, other than to say “this is politics, and you tend to get the candidate you work/don’t work for”.

Again, if you can name a viable GOP candidate (NOT 3rd party, please!), that was in the race prior to the Convention that would win, then lets hear. Otherwise, this is what the majority wants as our Rep.

I don’t have to like it, but there you go.

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

And using your same line of thought, i can apply that to the DNC. Now what?

They both can be bad, but right now, only ONE is in power, and that one was in complete control of the Government for at least 2 years…again, do you want to double down on THAT???

ddrintn, Believe me, I understand how you feel, but right now you have to consider whats important.

A 3rd party option is NOT available. We can’t afford to stay home; Do that and we might as well not even bother with campaigning for anyone.

The system isn’t broken so much as its just running without a Commander at the helm….and even then, Horatio Hornblower himself would need time JUST to slow us from the direction we are going towards, and before we can even stop.

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM

wow from reading some of these comments it appears the rombots have morphed into brownshirts. Polls are meaning less this far out. But the rombots love the polls. they have for years. The dems know this by the way and so they will use your poll loving against you. To discourge you.

Mitt would be up by 15 pts right now if he reached out to his base instead of chasing those unicorn indies across the nation. While Mitt tries to be Mr. Moderate, he loses 2 conservatives for every indie he picks up.

Oh well its his election to lose at this point. I guess we will sit back and watch how well he does just that.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yes polls are meaningless except for Rasmussen Daily Tracking poll and to a lesser degree Gallup Daily Tracking poll… It is that simple…

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Actually you’re just an obnoxious liar who likes to derail threads who should be banned not for offering a differing opinion but for being an obnoxious liar who likes to derail threads.

We already know you plan to vote for Obama so just cut the act. .

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

LOL!

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Liar.
ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Projection from an ashamed closet Obama voter.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I think you pretty much hear that here ( and many other places) everyday. I know I don’t have a problem stating the facts.

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I want to point out to those who are bemoaning that Romney was no where to be seen on the all important chicfilA day, and the media was so busy covering fat people in line to get chicken, (you go girl) that they missed covering any of the content of the speech Romney gave in Poland. Nine hours of coverage of ymmy chic, a few minutes to mention Romney’s trip to Poland and to Tsk that it was a stupid trip.

I guess they might have found some chicfilA at an airport, but not here in Boston, they got Legal Seafood at the Boston airport, get some yummy Lobstah.

Fleuries on August 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

ddrintn on August 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Then, you might AS well throw up your hands and go home. Because no matter who you want as a candidate, they’ll never get in, in your opinion.

But lets say they did, and then what? You’ve been around as long as I have; so you’ve heard other that have come forward as “reformers” only to turn out to be feeding at the trough as much as the other piglets.

But in spite of that, you still voted for some of them, and some of them actually made a difference.

If Romney wins in Nov, I know its only the beginning. It’s up to the Party rank and file to hold him & the Leadership accountable for every day they “don’t” fulfill our wishes…

Squeaky Wheel, Grease. Should it be that hard, or that much *more* work? No, but that’s moot. It’s more important to get the country right again that cry on about how much work its gonna take, know what I mean?

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Registered voters, over-sampling of Democrats…..ho hum. Meanwhile, a real pollster, Rasmussen, has Romney +4.

jan3 on August 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Please. It wouldn’t matter how much reaching out to the base he did, you and others would still say it’s not enough.

changer1701 on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Thank samples have anything to do with poll results?

Poll Result Sample
Gallup Obama +2 Dem +3.5
Rasmussen Romney +4 Dem +1.5
CBS/NYT Romney +1 Dem +4

CNN Obama +7 Dem +13
FOX Obama +9 Dem +9
Reuters Obama +7 Dem +11
Pew Obama +10 Dem +19
NBC Obama +6 Dem +11

kevinkristy on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

He’s a fraud. The dude is an Obama supporter posing as a concern troll to derail threads. He does it every time.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

The ineptness of Team Romney and cover MSM is providing Obama is starting to concern me.

bw222 on August 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Polls still don’t mean anything yet. Let me know the numbers after labor day.

Amazingly, The One’s not paying much of a price yet for negativity.

This is one of the things that bother me about Republicans. Yes..of course negativity works! It always has!

Negativity also means going on the attack, showing aggression, etc. Basically the Democrats are lying their asses off, making stuff up out of thin air about Romney, and in general punking us, and so far our best response is…No Fair!…Stop Doing That!…Apologize!…How Could You!…You Lie!….etc…oh brother…

This is how they role and how they always have rolled. Romney better find his inner mean self that used to do all those pranks…and fire away.

William Eaton on August 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

There are times you guys make me want to stop reading hot-air, seriously. I mean for goodness sake, learn how to read a poll!

Look at the internals of this poll.

34% of respondents have either never heard of or have no opinion of Harry Reid, and he was in the news heavily at this poll was taken.

33% have never heard of Bahner

42% have never heard of or have no opinion of Chris Christie

58% for Pawlenty

72% for Portman

In short, at least a third of the respondents in this poll are no information voters who have paid, “zero,” attention to the campaign. They may technically be registered, but its not very likely they’re going to actually VOTE. In fact, given how many of the respondents voiced zero knowledge of current political figures, I think a fair number of these people probably lied about being registered.

Between this, and the incredibly unrealistic +D skew among respondents, and its obvious that this poll isn’t worth the paper its printed on.

For context, a few days ago there was a DailyKos/SEIU/PPP national poll, taken over the weekend, that showed Obama only up +2% nationally. The big difference, THIS poll had a fairly realistic registration breakdown.

Or you could look at Rassmussen, who had the most accurate results in 2004, 2008, and 2010, whom show Romney up 4% nationally. If Obama had a +10% advantage with independents, there’s no friggin way you could possibly get a result like that.

Stop putting out these junky shock polls. Pick one or two pollsters you have reasonable faith in, and use them to check against one another. Everything outside of those should be largely ignored, because they’ll only confuse you.

WolvenOne on August 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Right now, he’s got TONS more cred than UES.

But even if he was (and I don’t see him as such right now), that doesn’t mean that a comment that i disagree with strongly should go unanswered…hell, maybe i might even change his mind!

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I’m sorry but I don’t know what UES means.

He’s been doing this for awhile and was exposed awhile back.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

jan3 on August 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Rasmussen was wrong in a big way in 2010. He missed the entire wave election. all polls are simple snap shots on a given day at a given time. they are meaningless. And if you try to run your campaign by polls you will lose because like Mitt has been lately you are always a day late and a dollar short. By the time the polls tell you want to say or do , the moment has past you by. this by the way is why Mitt will most likely lose. Obama is just attacking and seeing what sticks. He might look at the polls AFTER his attacks are launched. They did the same thing in 2008 agains tMcCain/Palin. And once they find what works they will just drill down and use the media and their campaign cash to drive it home.

Unless Mitt attacks and [play offense he is done. Oh yeah and don’t expect the VP to tip the balance either. The people they are talking about couldn’t move the needle by more than 1% either way.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

WolvenOne on August 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Are Ed and Allah playing good cop bad cop? Allah posts this crap without looking at the internals then Ed destroys these polls in the morning by analyzing the internals.

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

WolvenOne on August 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I couldn’t agree more. And it pisses me off that Fox puts out this stuff without the qualifiers.

I imagine it’s for ratings, but then that just makes them the same as all the others…damn…

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

A Womens twisted need to be serviced by “Bad Boys”……that itch will be the the end of everything…..you go girls.

All Hail the Messiah

dmann on August 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

changer1701 on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

sure you keep on believing that. Never in my life have I seen a candidates supporters intentionally push people out of their tent. Let me know how it works out.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Rasmussen has Romney ahead by 4. Gallup has Obama ahead by 2 with Obama’s last weekly approval rating at 45%, well outside the range of electability. Rasmusssen has his approvals at 46%. By contrast, the Fox poll has Obama’s favorables at 55%, the highest since Bin Laden was shot. There’s no way that is true; these are seriously flawed polls.

breffnian on August 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Actually Rassmussen over estimated Republican support very slightly, but still got more races right in 2010 than any other pollster.

Not sure how you can say they missed the wave election.

WolvenOne on August 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Thank samples have anything to do with poll results?

Poll Result Sample
Gallup Obama +2 Dem +3.5
Rasmussen Romney +4 Dem +1.5
CBS/NYT Romney +1 Dem +4

CNN Obama +7 Dem +13
FOX Obama +9 Dem +9
Reuters Obama +7 Dem +11
Pew Obama +10 Dem +19
NBC Obama +6 Dem +11

kevinkristy on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Exactly… In addition that Rasmussen and Gallup are Daily Tracking Polls unlike the other media polls where each media organization polls one time each month with the insane oversampling of democrats. So based on simple statistics Rasmussen and Gallup poll around 30,000 people each where as a media organization poll has a sample of only 1,000 people… So for any person with an IQ over 90 it is rather easy to see that Daily Tracking Polls like Rasmussen and Gallup are vastly more accurate than any other media poll because they poll daily and they poll 30 times more people per month than any other media poll… Rasmussen Daily Tracking poll is also superior over Gallup Daily Tracking poll because he polls Likely Voters where as Gallup poll Registered voters which favor democrats by 3 points on average…

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Just a question, but who has been pushed out of the “tent”?

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

UES=UpperEastSide

Sorry about the confusion jawkneemusic … :o)

BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

What do you mean Rasmussen missed the wave of 2010? Rasmussen had the GOP ahead by 12% the week before the election and was the first in 2010 to give the GOP a consistent lead.
Just like in 2012

breffnian on August 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

breffnian on August 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

didn’t take a close look at Fox’s poll, but you’re correct. Gallop and Rassmussen are highly respected when it comes to approval ratings, and they’re about in agreement with each other. Fox on the other hand is way outside the margins here, which renders their numbers far too suspicious to be usable.

There is no way, whatsoever, that Obama’s approval has shot up to post Bin-Ladin shooting levels. Particularly not when the unemployment rate has actually been going up.

WolvenOne on August 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I will, because it’s true. Some have decided they’re taking their ball and going home regardless, and there’s not anything Romney can do (short of morphing into a completely different person) to change that.

changer1701 on August 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Just a question, but who has been pushed out of the “tent”?

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

It’s easier to give you an example. This is and has been the standard fare of the Mitt supporter for the last 4 years.

Now those people standing in line at Chickfila were most likely a vast majority of potential Mitt voters. but instead of talking those people up, his supporters degrade them, call them names (fat). and if they aren’t calling them fat they are calling them stupid or hicks or whatever.

But I don’t really blame them. It comes from the candidate and his team and filters down to his supporters. Call it eleitism if you want. this thought process of the Mittbots that they are inherently better than others. It drives people away.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Bret Baier read a long statement from the poll director, that basically said that typically, more people self-identify on these polls as Democrats, depending on things going on at the time of the poll, and it’s typically 5%, but this time is was 9%.

Perhaps more independents are identifying themselves as Democrats, or maybe some Republicans are simply “on strike” when it comes to the ubiquitous polling we’re seeing, and are not answering the calls, or refusing to state.

Why aren’t Rasmussen or Gallup picking up this trend in their daily, rolling-average polls?

Reno_Dave on August 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

rrpjr on August 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

A Reaganesque answer by Romney could have been…

“Look, evangelical Christians don’t like -my- beliefs either, but we can disagree in an atmosphere of mutual respect. It’s one thing for advocacy groups to protest Chick-fil-a’s social positions, that’s their 1st Amendment right. It’s something else completely when American political officials start making threats of government action against free speech.”

…but he won’t say something like that because he’s a gutless moral coward, politically speaking, always has been, always will be.

ebrown2 on August 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

the gop convention will be an opportunity for those who love America to DUMP MITTENS and put conservatives in charge for the change America needs now and deserves…does the gop establishment have the spine to realize the mistake they’ve made and do something about it? … if not, they deserve the milquetoast that they get!

America deserves better…dump mittens now!

Pragmatic on August 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

He’s a disappointed Palinista who blames Romney and the GOP for his disappointment. He was reasonable until Palin decided not to run. I wanted Palin to run, but it didn’t happen. Most of the Romney haters are Palinistas who can’t get over it and blame everybody but Palin.

Gelsomina on August 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Reno_Dave on August 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

They have picked this up…

During July, 34.9% of Americans considered themselves Republicans. That’s down from 35.4% in June and from 35.7% in May.

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Reno_Dave on August 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Do they release their polling samples for the daily polls?

changer1701 on August 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

If this is true, Obama’s support in Northern VA has dropped by 11%, he will lose VA and the election and his smear campaign against Romney isn’t working.

breffnian on August 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Just like in 2012

breffnian on August 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

All pollsters get it “right” the day/week before the election. Look at his polls weeks and months before. He was calling for a modest pick up in seats.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Reno_Dave on August 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Because both Rasmussen and Gallup daily tracking polls are vaslty more accurate than the media polls where each media organization conduct a single poll once a month and some time longer than that. Would you believe Rasmussen and Gallup daily tracking poll who each poll 30,000 people a month or do you believe a media organization poll that poll only 1,000 people a month… It is simple statistics here and not rocket science… Which is more accurate a poll of 30,000 people a month or a poll of 1,000 people a month?

mnjg on August 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

UES=UpperEastSide
Sorry about the confusion jawkneemusic … :o)
BlaxPac on August 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Aaaah, gotcha. ;)

jawkneemusic on August 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Gelsomina on August 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Bingo.

changer1701 on August 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

wargamer6 on August 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

He will continue to live his fantasy of Palin 2016.

bayview on August 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

They have picked this up…

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I didn’t leave the party the party left me.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

So the fact that Romney did not insert himself into a ridiculous, media driven event, makes him un-inclusive (is that even word?).

Sorry, but I could care less about this media driven crap!

ccrosby on August 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

He will continue to live his fantasy of Palin 2016.

bayview on August 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

And Palin 2020 after that, and Palin 2024 after that.

MelonCollie on August 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

mitt is a twit and a nitwit

Pragmatic on August 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I didn’t leave the party the party left me.

unseen on August 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Exactly and we are talking about self identified voters in many of these polls. They may be registered Republicans but now consider themselves independents. This is also happening to the Democrats as well.

sharrukin on August 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM