Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on August 8, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Here’s a riddle for you.  You hear Democrats talking constantly about the evils of the “Bush tax cuts,” the rates set in 2001-3 for income tax which haven’t been changed since.  Whenever the topic of tax rates comes up, Democrats blame the “Bush tax cuts” for everything from the trillion-dollar annual deficits to the financial collapse of 2008.  With all that in mind, when is a “Bush tax cut” not a “Bush tax cut”?

When Obama wants to take credit for it, that’s when:

Jeryl Bier explains:

Note the wording: “the President’s middle-class tax cut”.  This is the same administration that has balked at referring to the current rates as “the Bush tax cuts,” and now has appropriated that label for the President himself.  And it’s not even a new cut, simply a continuation of current tax policy.  The only answers the president should have received via Twitter should read: “I will spend the $2,200 on the same expenses I used it for in 2012 because my taxes are not being cut.”

Note to President Obama from Reality: this isn’t a tax cut at all, and it’s not an Obama tax rate, either.  It’s the current Bush-era tax rate. Republicans wanted to keep the tax rates exactly as they are, too, only they want to do it across the board.  Obama wants to raise taxes on higher-end income earners, those making $250,000 a year or more.  Maybe we should be asking what he’s going to do with the extra $80 billion a year while he runs trillion-dollar deficits, all the while promising to “pay down the debt in a balanced way.”

There’s a lot of unreality in Obama’s statements, isn’t there?

It’s time once again to show our support for Day By Day and its artist-publisher, Chris Muir.  Chris holds an annual fundraiser to keep the adventures of Sam, Zed, Jan, and Damon coming.  Chris, whose artwork has enhanced the OOTD feature since its inception for Hot Air readers, uses the funds raised for only the continuance of DBD.  As always, the fundraiser has many fabulous gifts available at whatever level one chooses to donate.  If you’re thinking about donating at the Jan/Damon level or above, you’ll get a Last Supper Red vs Blue magnet, which has depictions of personalities from New Media — myself included.  Donating at the Anatoly Level will get you a 9×15 print of the artwork.  Dig deep and be part of supporting the one of the best New Media cartoonists in the biz!

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at [email protected] with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

There’s a lot of unreality in Obama’s statements, isn’t there?

Yes, there is. But, this kind of BS has been working for dems for years simply because (the majority of) the media is complicit in the lies.

While unprovable, I believe that if we didn’t have such a biased media, we wouldn’t be in such a jam, today.

RedCrow on August 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM

what a load of BS. Shameless. Utterly shameless liar.

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Obama’s campaign would lie even if the truth would serve them better. They are the sleaziest, most disgusting example of what’s wrong with this country. I have brief moments of shock when new trashy examples of their dishonesty are exposed. I’m not sure why I am surprised by each new low.

TXMomof3 on August 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM

… you can fool some of the people all of the time. Especially the lap dogs.

VietVet_Dave on August 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM

trace a line of tax rates over the last 10-15yrs and show me where they went down and how you did that. Approving an extension of the previous rates is a maintenance of the status quo.

weak sauce.

Is this the best that you’ve got Axlerod????

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It’s the current Bush-era tax rate.

Trying to make such distinctions with the current administration is like trying to explain quantum physics to a Jack Russell terrier.

In other words, there may be no I in Obama but it is all about making sure he gets all the credit. For example, SEAL Team Six didn’t “get Osama” it was Obama.

Happy Nomad on August 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM

The truth is a stranger to him, when he lies, he speaks his native language.

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM

those are composite tax rates…./

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I love how they take YOUR money and when they give you a little back they act like their doing you a favor ………FU, BO, REID AND PIGLOSI …………..

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

RedCrow on August 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I think it’s provable, RedCrow. I just don’t think it would change anything. The MSM is what it is and will only rest when they are dead and replaced by something else.

swinia sutki on August 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Morning Redcrow, never see you on this early…….:-)

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Anybody who understands math, or is even willing to try to, is automatically disqualified from becoming a Democrat.

backwoods conservative on August 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

There’s a lot of unreality in Obama’s statements, isn’t there?

You could pretty much expand this lack of reality to the universe he happens to occupy as well.

pilamaye on August 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I’d say “Unprecedented” but that’s already taken.

How about “Nerve”?

TimBuk3 on August 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Obama would take credit for the sun coming up every morning if it got pitched to him by one of his minions.

Reality is a TV show for this bunch of bozos and that’s why we’re going to vote him off the island this November.

CitizenEgg on August 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

those are composite tax rates…./

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Ted… you made it almost three days before using that word!
;-)

VietVet_Dave on August 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM

My husband, a yellow dog Democrat (still!), used to say this about Clinton, “he’d rather climb a tree and tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth”. Fits for Obama too.

catquilt on August 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

swinia sutki on August 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

By not provable, I just mean we can’t go back, make them unbiased, then go forward again and check to see if the DC idiots still spent as much, and if half of our society are still good-for-nothing morons. But, you’re right as far as the dying part (let’s hope).

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Hey angry. :)
Yeah, I’ve been kinda busy, and living “normal” hours lately, which is why I’ve missed a lot of (awesome) QOTD action. (Still reading, and sometimes lurking, briefly. :) )

RedCrow on August 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Assume, for a minute, you are among the 40-some-odd percent of people who slurp at the public trough for free. I really wonder if you care since it has zero impact on your life.

These folks are not capable of discerning his lying and deliberate misconception.

VietVet_Dave on August 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

VietVet_Dave on August 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

And some are, as you implied, ambivalent to his lies because they’re getting “free stuff”.

RedCrow on August 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

What did you expect from the party in 2010 who claimed letting the Bush Tax Cuts expire was not raising taxes?

hillsoftx on August 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Note to President Obama from Reality: this isn’t a tax cut at all, and it’s not an Obama tax rate, either. It’s the current Bush-era tax rate.

Another day, another lie by the Democrat leader. Sad. Something even more sad: the average Dem voter regurgitates this lie without the slightest whiff of rational thought.

visions on August 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Mr. Obama, YOU didn’t build that tax cut….

Vntnrse on August 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

slightly reworked old saw… “How can you tell if Obama is lying? Carney’s lips are moving…”

Jerub Baal on August 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Heeeeeeeeers Nancy:

docflash on August 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Unreality?

Not really. He’s so sure that he is a genius he thinks he can just lie his ass off with impunity. And I don’t blame him for that – the Dog Destroying Dimwit has made it this far hasn’t he?

CorporatePiggy on August 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Jerub Baal on August 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Obama can tell that Carney is talking by the vibratory sensation between his butt-cheeks.

swinia sutki on August 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM

viet vet dave;
I’m trying not to make it too hackneyed by metering it out… :)

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Redcrow
Well I miss you wit and comic overtones, hurry back…………;-)

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Lies?

No, not lies. Not at all.

Only lies to the non-believers, perhaps.

To the majority of the population, it appears, it is gospel, writ in stone.

The Progressives have had over 50 years of free rein to indoctrinate the masses through public schools and the NEA.

The Progressives have had well over 50 years of government handouts and other programs designed to keep the masses on the plantation or compel them to support Progressive causes so as to reap more free money from government.

These are the “foundations” of which Obama spoke in Denver in 2008.

Today, Obama could announce that the Romney with the collusion of the GOP has established secret prisons on Mars, paid for by Bush/Romney secret slush funds, designed to incarcerate every person of color in the nation…and nearly 50% of the population would not only believe it, but would rally immediately to oppose it….

I fear we’ve passed the tipping point.

coldwarrior on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

If you like your tax cut, you can keep your tax cut. Just give me credit for it. BHO

Happy Nomad on August 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Thanks, mike.
I miss the “chit-chat” and the tunes, and learning all the interesting stuff all you guys are up to. (PS–say hello to sherm for me.)

RedCrow on August 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Cold warrior
we will find out November 6 if the tipping point has been passed, and if it has we all must be ready to take OUR country back by force……….IMO

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Redcrow
you got it buddy……….;-D

angrymike on August 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Unreality?

Not really.

CorporatePiggy on August 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

What about postmodern reality? Since there’s no general consensus on the precise definition of what it means. lol.

Postmodernism questions the central assumptions of modernism. According to postmoderns, truth is not merely an inherent quality of statements that accurately ascribe properties to the world. Neither is truth limited to what can be verified by reason and the empirical scientific method alone. Instead, postmoderns are convinced that, in addition to reason, there are other ways of knowing — through the emotions and intuition. Postmoderns do not view the world as a realm of impersonal laws, but as historical, relational, personal, and participatory.

Po-Mo-BO

A lie is as good as the truth if you believe it.

Fallon on August 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Riddle me this.

A person consistently takes credits from other’s achievements, blames one’s own failures on other persons or events beyond one’s control. (I suspect nonstop since early childhool.)

How you can call it ‘amateurish’ day in and day out is beyond me.

Sir Napsalot on August 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Heh heh… Ok, I’ll shut the meter off.

VietVet_Dave on August 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM

There’s a lot of unreality in Obama’s statements, isn’t there?

Obama lies. Continually.

The Rogue Tomato on August 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM

How you can call it ‘amateurish’ day in and day out is beyond me.

Sir Napsalot on August 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Po-Mo-BO, Pro?

Fallon on August 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Today, Obama could announce that the Romney with the collusion of the GOP has established secret prisons on Mars, paid for by Bush/Romney secret slush funds, the evil Koch brothers and designed to incarcerate every person of color in the nation…and nearly 50% of the population would not only believe it, but would rally immediately to oppose it….

FIFY.

I fear we’ve passed the tipping point.

coldwarrior on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Yes, I also think the tipping point is now behind us. We might be able to swing back abit this November, but that will only be temporary. There are way too many freeloaders in the system who will continue to vote to keep the gravy train coming.

climbnjump on August 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

If the current tax rates get extended, then Zero will claim it as his middle class tax cut.

Kissmygrits on August 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

This is not an Obamateurism; It is a deliberate, Orwellian lie, like “Freedom is Slavery”.

Buy Danish on August 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM

RedCrow on August 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM

+1 — the media continually perpetuate the “tax cuts” terminology. Obummer is winning this one because he has their help — if you repeat something often & widely enough it becomes true, especially with low-info voters.

KS Rex on August 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

what a load of BS. Shameless. Utterly shameless liar.

ted c on August 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Sorry, ted, but “shameless” doesn’t cut it anymore. We need a whole new word to describe the depths these people sink to, but then, we’d have to come up with a new word almost daily.

I’m reminded of the villain at the end of “The Incredibles,” the Underminer: “I am beneath you, but NOTHING is beneath me!” Nothing, absolutely nothing, is beneath these people.

Kraken on August 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

So after one year…is President Bush going to raise taxes again?

lynncgb on August 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Use the hashtag #2200dollars to share how the former President George W Bush’s middle-class tax cut would help your family next year.

FIFY, Fleecy Preezy!!!

Steve Z on August 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Buy Danish on August 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM

For Obama, the status quo is HIS “tax cut” for the middle-class, but Bush’s “tax cut” for the wealthy.

Since all the Bush tax cuts expire in December 2012, this allows Obama to raise taxes by doing nothing!

Steve Z on August 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

No “maybe” about it. This is exactly what Romney/RNC needs to do. Put the real numbers on the table. Put the National Debt Clock up in the background. Show how much debt we incur on a daily basis and put the $80B up against that to show it wouldn’t even cover two full weeks of new debt. Show that the accumulated debt is 104% of GDP and climbing. Show how much each citizen owes. And what is Obama’s answer? Spend more.

Spending your way to solvency is like drinking your way to sobriety.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on August 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

“I did it or Bush did it?”

Even a snake gets his forked tongue in a knot, swiveling between two lying teleprompters.

Don L on August 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Degenerate in Chief.

“You lie” was the truest thing ever told about RobbingHood.

Obama hates the middle class. He hates the poor and dumb women too.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Obama is a sausage made of Orwell, Pinocchio, Muenchhausen and Machiavelli.

Schadenfreude on August 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I didn’t like the idea of doing this years ago, but I’m firmly of the belief now that liberalism should be illegalized.

MSM hardest hit, along with scumocrat politicians and welfare queens.

Wolfmoon on August 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I said that I was going to use the money from the Bush tax cuts to help pay for added expenses due to Obamacare and the Obama Energy Policy.

malclave on August 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM