Rumor of the day: First Romney fundraiser with VP “may” be in Florida on Sunday

posted at 7:50 pm on August 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yes, yes, I know — pure speculation, as thin as tissue paper. Get used to it. No less than Karl Rove thinks the pick could come as soon as Friday, so the full force of VP frenzy will soon be upon us. Don’t be surprised if we’re a little more lax in relaying rumors than we usually are in the meantime.

The source:

Ana Navarro was Hispanic co-chair of McCain’s 2008 campaign and Huntsman’s campaign this year. She knows people — and one person she’s known for a long time is Marco Rubio. BuzzFeed described her as a “top ally” of his when she hinted back in June that Romney advisor Stuart Stevens, a former Crist advisor, might have leaked the news in May that Rubio wasn’t yet being vetted for VP. If she’s telling the truth here then there’s every reason to suspect that Rubio’s the pick: She knows him and his circle well so she’s well positioned for an inside scoop and, needless to say, a big rollout fundraiser in Rubio’s home state shortly after the announcement makes perfect sense.

Or, maybe she knows nothing and is blowing smoke in order to build buzz for her preferred choice. She’s obviously no great fan of Stevens; this would be a way to get back at him for the perceived slight in May. As I say, my friends: As thin as tissue paper. By way of a possible preview of the campaign trail, via Bryan Preston, here’s Rubio showing off his attack-dog skills earlier today. Excellent stuff, especially in light of The One’s sleazy smear this morning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

FeralCat on August 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I should have figured as much!

INC on August 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Rubio suffers from the “Tallahassee stink,” loose Campaign Finance laws, politicians living on special interest dollars, which apparently Rubio did and the Democrats will use to smear him as corrupt.

john.frank on August 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I will, in advance, assert that Palin compares favorably to whoever Romney picks as his VP.

Paul-Cincy on August 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Michele Bachmann has as much evidence that Huma is connected the Muslim brotherhood as Harry Reid has that Romney didn’t pay his taxes for 10 years. full of crap.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You sound like harry reid. Let me take a “wild guess” – you didn’t do the reading assignment that Inc was nice enough to prepare for you, did you?

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I am behind Jindal, but I think it will be McDonnell. Portman is possible, but McDonnell is a successful governor and I don’t think Mitt would want to choose a GOP senator and risk losing that seat.

Petraeus would be interesting, but I am not convinced that will ever happen.

Philly on August 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I’ve read Bachmann’s stupid letters. Absolutely no proof of anything in them.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I don’t know too many people standing with Bachmann except you.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM

GOP Establishment Joins with Left to Mainstream Radical Islam and Marginalize Michele Bachmann

RUSH: Now, folks, one other thing here. Michele Bachmann… Louie Gohmert is one of the other Republicans. They wrote private letters to select individuals asking questions about the security clearance process, and they used Huma Weiner as an illustration. It was not Michele Bachmann who decided to go public with the letters. Now, isn’t this what congressmen on the Intelligence Committee ought to be asking if there are national security violations or problems involved in the security clearance with somebody with such close ties to avowed enemies?

Full Interview: Mark Levin talks to Andy McCarthy about Bachmann, McCain, and Muslim Brotherhood

Link to statement & letters:

INC on August 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I’ve read Bachmann’s stupid letters. Absolutely no proof of anything in them.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM

There you go again. – Ronald Reagan

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Cal Thomas

Suppose Michele Bachmann is right?

If you revile Rep. Bachmann, perhaps former British Prime Minister Tony Blair is more to your liking. Charles Moore of the London Daily Telegraph writes that Blair “… now thinks he underestimated the power of the bad ‘narrative’ of Islamist extremists. That narrative—that ‘The West oppresses Islam’—’is still there; if anything, it has grown.’ It seeks ’supremacy, not coexistence.’” Blair also expressed fear that “The West is asleep on this issue.”

Blair’s view is echoed in Battle for Our Minds: Western Elites and the Terror Threat, a new book by Michael Widlanski, a specialist in Arab politics and a former journalist for mainstream publications such as The New York Times, the Cox Newspapers-The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and The Jerusalem Post. Widlanski’s main point is that political correctness has stifled the West’s ability to understand and fight terror.

INC on August 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM

We need Rubio in the Senate. Please select Ryan.

ctmom on August 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I’ve read Bachmann’s stupid letters. Absolutely no proof of anything in them.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Reid said that Romney did not pay any taxes for 10 years. Michelle Bachmann never said there was proof that Huma Wiener was a traitor, just that all MB ties, which she has plenty of, should be looked into. So don’t equate Michele Bachmann to harry reid. It’s you who are acting like harry reid.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM

We need Rubio in the Senate. Please select Ryan.

ctmom on August 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM

We need Ryan in the House.

Please select Allen West.

/One can dream.

IrishSamurai on August 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Actually Reid said he wasn’t sure if the rumor was true he was just doing the lovely job of spreading the smear.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If Rubio is the pick, I will now have to hold my nose and carry a barf bag into the voting booth. I’m really as sick of the Hispanic stuff as I am of all the homosexual noise. What experience does Rubio have to be the Vice President? He is weak tea, in my opinion, and a Bush puppet, to boot.

MustLoveBlogs on August 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM

INC on August 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So, the support is three links to Andrew McCarthy? The guy who sees more conspiracies afoot than does Alex Jones?

Whenever I see Michelle Bachmann and Louie Gohmert’s name both on something I just roll my eyes at the combined mass stupidity. I guess the GOP needs its nuts to counterbalance all the liberal nuts, maybe?

AngusMc on August 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I got Romneys VP mobile app, so I will know before anyone(except the others who have it too). heh.

southsideironworks on August 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM

AngusMc on August 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM

There was a bit more than that.

INC on August 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I checked Intrade about 20 minutes ago and Rubi was at 12.3%. He is now at 11.9%.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Too bad the Republicans don’t have a minority who is a natural born citizen and military veteran who would so enrage the left that they would forget all about Romney so he could campaign on the offensive. Man, that candidate would be perfect. Yup, it’s just too bad.

Buddahpundit on August 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I like me some Rubio!!! As long as it’s not Pawlenty. Nice guy but totally boring.

Mangofish26 on August 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM

AngusMc on August 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM

So all you have is to try to pull a harry reid and smear Andrew McCarthy *, who knows about a million times more about Islam than you do, and what he knows is not all wrong like Rubio and McCain.

* Andrew McCarthy – most notable for leading the 1995 terrorism prosecution against Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and eleven others. The defendants were convicted of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and planning a series of attacks against New York City landmarks

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Good news for Romney is that stocks are heading for a cycle top…

Another couple spikes in interest rates like today should do it…

Dow should be trading below 12000 on election day…

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I like Rubio but I want him to stick around the Senate for a bit and then go back to Florida to be governor. After we see how he holds up, than go for the big prize. Not now.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM

My choices in order…

1)Rubio
2)West
3)Christie
4)Ryan

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

My choices in order…

1)Rubio
2)West

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

This makes no sense as Rubio and West have very opposing views on Islam, the Muslim Brotherhood, CAIR and Michele Bachmann. Like day (West) and night (Rubio).

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Allen West backs up Michele Bachmann on the Muslim Brotherhood infiltration inquiry

This means, whether he mentioned Rubio’s name or not, he put Rubio to the ground.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at

9:42 PM

Hi Vordaj,

I am looking at the candidates that will help us win not some of their positions…

Rubio would bring the Hispanic vote which would guarantee Florida and puts New Mexico, Nevada in play and will put Romney over the top in Colorado…

West is interesting…
Since he is all black and not half black like Obama I think he would put a schism in the black community and either they don’t turn out or a lot of them vote for Romney/West based on the fact he is 100% black and holds more socially conservative positions which black people are inherently socially conservative…

I personally like West better, but just want to WIN!!!

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Intrade seems to be moving in the last 30 minutes. Portman and Pawlenty still leading the pack, but Portman gaining some and Pawlenty dropping some. Ryan and Rubio in the running, but way back, and Ryan gaining and Rubio dropping.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I personally like West better, but just want to WIN!!!

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I know and it is imperative that we get Benito Mussolini II out of the White House.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My choices in order…

1)Rubio
2)West
3)Christie
4)Ryan

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

timmytee on August 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My choices in order:

1) Me

2) you

3) anybody but a politician

shar61 on August 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Wow!!! Pawlenty and Rubio really dropping in Intrade now and just in a matter of minutes. Someone knows something we don’t or sure thinks they do.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Pawlenty was the worse one in the primary…

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I kinda take Andrew McCarthy pretty seriously on islam.

wolly4321 on August 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM

What is with all the Rubio hate on this site? Geesh.

1nolibgal on August 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

A Floridian………..oh please let it be Allen West, make my dream come true………

angrymike on August 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

What is with all the Rubio hate on this site? Geesh.

1nolibgal on August 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

It’s a matter of hating the muslim brotherhood which McCain and Rubio have de facto sided with and even to the point of attacking those who are against the muslim brotherhood.

VorDaj on August 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM

And, to be such a newbie on the national stage, Rubio has the identity pandering down to a fine art. I do not trust him; he’s clay in the hands of the old guard.

MustLoveBlogs on August 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM

So it’s based on nothing but a second-hand rumor that doesn’t even specify who the pick is?

What are you? NBC? ABC? CNN? NYT? Harry Reid?

So my guess is no nimrod fly-by-night polling group linked to George Soros published a phonied-up poll to report on, leaving only unsubstantiated rumors to write about?

Adjoran on August 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM

T-Paw is possible. He seems to have more personality lately. I think Romney will choose a governor. The GOP House and Senate members should continue to occupy their seats in a Romney administration.

Philly on August 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I’m fine with Rubio. He can garner the Roman Catholic and Hispanic votes.

I’m sorry to think we lose a GOP US Senator, though. We need both Houses to repeal Obamacare.

I’m sure his wife is a fine lady – a good wife and mother. But I saw her on tv a few months ago and she was painfully inarticulate and nervous. She needs coacthing. I just hope his family can withstand the viciousness of the attacks from the left. We will have to keep them in our prayers.

dukecitygirl on August 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

My choices in order…

1)Rubio
2)West
3)Christie
4)Ryan

MGardner on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I would prefer West as my first choice, then Rubio. Ryan is fine. Christie – no way.

dukecitygirl on August 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I don’t want Pawlenty or Portman, they don’t bring any passion to the ticket. Besides, no one knows Portman, I’m from Ohio and I didn’t care one way or the other for him. The vp candidate should look like he/she could become president at any moment. Joe Biden is not what we are looking for. Condi Rice is my choice, she looks presidential and has the brains Slo Joe never had. But I will vote for whomever it is, even my dog Smokey.

megthered on August 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The only bad choices would be:

(1) Petraeus
(2) Portman
(3) Rice
(4) Pawlenty

The rest of the choices I have heard I could live with….

William Eaton on August 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Romney’s VP slot – even if he wins- is a career ending position for whomever is chosen. Rubio would have to be an idiot to jump ship on his senate seat.

Look at the history of the VP……… Future loser,, rejected by the voters

FlaMurph on August 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I think Walt Longmire will pick……………………Vic as his running mate. Branch is an opponent and Ferg is, well, Ferg.

She is loyal and reliable and capable. She’s also easy on the eye, to boot.

Somehow Mitt found time to star in a new A&E program and run for POTUS. Like him in both roles.

JoeinTX on August 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

terryannonline

Why would she have evidence for something she never claimed?

Having said that, if you want to play stupid(assuming you’re playing), having a brother, mother and father in the Muslim Brotherhood is quite a bit more evidence than Harry Reid simply pulling an unidentified, nonexistent mystery man/woman out of his azz.

xblade on August 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Real slick, HotAir…screen refresh, right in the middle of a f____ video. This is getting old, fast.

Dirt McGirt on August 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

So Rubio raves about Romney’s family credentials and “solidly grounded” principles, while Mitt is pronouncing his support for gay marriage and gays in the boy scouts.

Family man? And these are supposed to be the good guys? What a sick world we are leaving our children and grandchildren and that, I’m afraid, we did build ourselves.

Don L on August 8, 2012 at 5:33 AM