New Romney ad attacks Obama on “gutting” welfare reform

posted at 9:21 am on August 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Team Romney moved to take advantage of another gift from Barack Obama — this one not so much a gaffe but a strange strategic move by Obama and his administration.  A month ago, Obama removed the work requirements and limitations on welfare, one of the few successful bipartisan efforts from Washington in the last generation.  Bill Clinton only reluctantly went along for the ride, but after agreeing to it, rushed to take credit for the reforms and continued to highlight it as part of his legacy after he left office.  Obama unilaterally abandoned that reform, and Romney will start today to paint him as so extreme that he can’t even agree with Bill Clinton:

The Washington Post notices the strategy:

On the campaign trail beginning Tuesday in Illinois and in a new television advertisement, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee plans to argue that the Obama administration is turning the federal welfare program into “just a handout” with last month’s decision to allow waivers to states from welfare work requirements.

This is Romney’s latest attempt to cast Obama as a big-government liberal and to drive a wedge between the president and the popular legacy of one of his Democratic predecessors, President Clinton.

Team Obama objects to this criticism, noting that as governor of Massachusetts, Romney argued for waivers by state on enforcement. However, Romney argues that the waiver requests were intended to quantify the work requirement, not eliminate it altogether.  They also remind the media in an accompanying press release that Obama has long been hostile to the welfare reforms of the 1990s:

In a memo to reporters, Romney campaign policy director Lanhee Chen tried to cast Obama as an advocate for “big-government liberalism.”

“Unfortunately, not everyone was enthusiastic about welfare reform,” Chen writes. “For instance, a man named Barack Obama took to the floor of the Illinois State Senate to announce his opposition. A devoted believer in old-school, big-government liberalism, Mr. Obama had no interest in embracing the welfare reform package that linked welfare to work. Now as president, with an economy struggling, an election looming, and a dispirited liberal base in need of encouragement, he has decided to turn back the clock.”

The question that should be asked is this: why didn’t Obama do this through Congress when he had strong Democratic majorities?  Had this change taken place in the wake of the financial collapse, or perhaps in mid-2009 as joblessness soared over 10%, there may have been a lot of sympathy for at least a temporary waiver of the work requirements.  After all, when Congress and Clinton passed welfare reform, unemployment was pretty low and jobs readily available.  Instead, Obama acted unilaterally in the middle of an electoral campaign in which he’s struggling to bypass Congress and gut the bipartisan welfare reform he’s always opposed.

That gives Romney an easy opening for attack.  Perhaps Team Romney will buy heavily for the coverage of the Democratic convention — and run this ad before and after Bill Clinton’s nominating speech in prime time.

Update:Here’s audio from a 1999 appearance by Barack Obama at Carleton College, declaring his opposition to Clinton’s welfare reform:

OBAMA: “I’m happy to answer about anything. Legal issues, political issues, football. Yes sir?”

AUDIENCE MEMBER: “I was interested in what you said. [Inaudible]”

OBAMA: “That’s an excellent question. Let me take it sort of two fold. The first question which is fairly specific is about welfare reform. As most of you know I think, in 1996 the Republican Congress passed and President Clinton signed a welfare reform bill that essentially ended a 60 year entitlement to welfare. I was a strong proponent of some reform of the welfare system. I would not probably of supported the federal system. The federal bill that was passed.”

At least he’s consistent.

Comments

The ads with Bill and Hillary are particularly effective in appealing to independents.

aunursa on August 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

November 6th just can’t get here soon enough.

gsherin on August 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Gee, does Obama support the freeloaders of America while tearing apart both the responsible producers and the structure that allows them to produce.
That’s the campaign theme I’d run with. You’ll never get the free-loader votes anyway.

Don L on August 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

We need to unleash our class warfare campaign… It will be between the Producers and the Parasites…

mnjg on August 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Um, wouldn’t this be a feature-not a bug-to many people, unfortunately? Hey, I don’t have to work for my welfare anymore…yeah Obama! I think this particular move ought to be wrapped into an ad that focuses on all his power grabs and executive orders.

changer1701 on August 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Welfare dependency-they didn’t build that themselves!

Don L on August 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

redguy on August 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Can’t they do a better voiceover? It nearly put me to sleep in 30 seconds.

Great idea though. They should go after Obama on this.

WannabeAnglican on August 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Would love to see a Romney ad marking the historic anniversary of the US credit downgrade…it’s been a year August 5th, 2011 End it with the Obama “O” logo in Downgrade…

monalisa on August 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

And why would the man who’s never held a real job in his life (until the presidency) support a work requirement for others on the public dole?

Flyover Country on August 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

For anyone who thinks there’s no difference between Romney and Obama, here’s just another one of many MAJOR differences!

LevinFan on August 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Obama, you wanted class warfare… you got it:

working class (includes unemployed) vs. generational welfare class

Bring it!

Laura in Maryland on August 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

changer1701 on August 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

The people for whom it’s a feature not a bug would be among Obama’s most loyal supporters. The ad is targeted to others.

aunursa on August 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Very good ad. Especially since BO is apparently going to try to run on Clinton’s record.

Big mistake by Obama to illegally kill welfare reform.

forest on August 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

[Obama:] “I was a strong proponent of some reform of the welfare system. I would not probably of supported the federal system. The federal bill that was passed.”

What does this mean?

BTW, the Romney ad doesn’t play on my computer. Is there a problem with the link?

Steve Z on August 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

monalisa on August 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Great idea. President Kardashian has been such a disaster that I tend to forget all the terrible things his socialism has led to… the downgrading of our credit being one of them.

Imagine having your own personal credit downgraded. Now relate that to the country’s credit being downgraded.

LevinFan on August 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Why did Barky do this?

Is there a demographic of likely voters who are hardcore welfare queens?

Is this part of shoring up the coalition of the angry, illegal, degenerate, criminal, mooching, victim class?

Probably.

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Pres. Dolebama.

hillsoftx on August 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Inartful and clunky speaking.

ted c on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

. I would not probably of supported the federal system.

OF?
Is there an error in the transcription or is it by the speaker? It is have, not of. It’s basic grammar. If Columbia and Harvard (and Hawaiian prep school) can’t teach you that, you aren’t uneducated, you are stupid. Stupidest president ever.

rbj on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Really? Blaming welfare recipients for the economic crisis? Is this all the GOP has? My confidence grows everyday.

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Where did anyone get the idea that Obama was a skilled orator? His speech patterns sound a lot like Pelosi, who sounds like a drunk.

Is there some reason Fast & Furious, EP, ignoring Court orders regarding drilling, etc. are off the table? Maybe that stuff is for later, but there are so many things to use to go after Obama.

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

How can you be against having basic working requirements and job training requirements for welfare?

Should people be allowed to just sit on their a$$ and do absolutely nothing??

LevinFan on August 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Really? Blaming parasites for the economic crisis?

Yes, really, libtard.

MelonCollie on August 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Libfreeordie: able bodied net takers in our society do share some blame for our society’s financial straits, whether the politics are good or not, it is the truth.

earlgrey133 on August 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

You REALLY think that large numbers of people who choose not to work, but instead live off the incomes of people who do, helps our economy? Is this more liberal math? They spend the money they are given which stimulates the economy!

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The ad’s literally write themselves when this man speaks. Romney, Rove, etc… better have piles of ads ready to go in September.

Just show the average person that works hard everyday that Obama wants to do nothing but tax them to death so that he can give hand-out’s to his “middle class” and increase the salaries and pensions of public employees, and no sane person would want to vote for him.

milcus on August 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Outline for us the issues you have with the the physically and mentally-able having a work req’t to receive welfare. We await your enlightenment.

hillsoftx on August 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Another add idea.

Does Obama like poverty?

Does Obama like broken families?

Does Obama like government dependency?

He must, becuase Obama hates Welfare reform.

WisRich on August 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My confidence grows everyday.

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

In light of news about David Plouffe taking money from a company working with the Iranian government and the new scandal that broke today involving the boy king’s administration, so is mine you hypocritical lying coward, so is mine.

Flora Duh on August 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Pres. Dolebama.

hillsoftx on August 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I like it. I like it a lot.

tru2tx on August 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

…the presumptive Republican presidential nominee plans to argue that the Obama administration is turning the federal welfare program into “just a handout”

Obummer’s ploy likely plays very positively with his base of freeloaders, most of whom have not paid taxes for much longer than 10 years. Good strategy, unfortunately.

KS Rex on August 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

November 6th just can’t get here soon enough.

gsherin on August 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I assume that presupposes the Democrats will be defeated.

Any sane electorate should vote the Democrats out in a landslide; however, it seems to me sanity is a scarce commodity in much of our nation.

Californians keep putting union puppets in their state legislature and Nancy Pelosi in Congress. Illinois keeps voting in criminals. Massachusetts may elect Elizabeth Warren, a liar and a socialist. Nevada keeps voting in the lawless and despicable Harry Reid who’s kept the Senate from passing a budget in 4 years.

I hope the Romney campaign and the RNC get it in high gear immediately, or November 6, 2012 may get here too soon.

MessesWithTexas on August 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

All anyone has to do is look at BO’s daily schedule, and it’s obvious that he would never support a work requirement for anyone including himself:

Obama Schedule || Tuesday, August 7, 2012

by Keith Koffler on August 6, 2012, 9:44 pm

11:00 am || Receives the Presidential Daily Briefing
4:15 pm || Meets with the White House Rural Council to discuss ongoing efforts in response to the drought
4:30 pm || Meets with Secretary of Defense Panetta
5:20 pm || Attends a fundraiser; The W Hotel, Washington
6:20 pm || Attends a second fundraiser; The W Hotel, Washington

He’s actually do some ‘work’ today, but what is that period from say noon til 4:15 about? Lunch and a nap?

Cody1991 on August 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Why did Barky do this?

Is there a demographic of likely voters who are hardcore welfare queens?

Probably.

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

It’s a waste of time. There is absolutely no evidence that they’d ever vote on the content of his character. If they possible might, he wouldn’t be appealing to them.

Don L on August 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

And who do you blame for the economic crisis professor?

Oh, that’s right, those greedy Wall Street Bankers. The ones the boy king and Holder didn’t prosecute because of cronyism inside the Department of Justice and political donations made to Obama’s campaign.

Yes, “my confidence grows everyday.”

Flora Duh on August 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

What does this mean?

Steve Z on August 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I think what our ever-so-intelligent-and-articulate president was trying to say is that he supported welfare reform, but not the specific type of reform that required welfare recipients to actually work or look for work.

Barry’s idea of “reform” probably would have been to give welfare recipients bigger checks every month, or to loosen the minimum requirements — such as removing the “Are you a U.S. citizen or legal resident?” question from the welfare application form, so that illegal aliens could qualify for welfare payments without having to go to the trouble of buying fake ID first.

AZCoyote on August 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

End it with the Obama “O” logo in Downgrade…

monalisa on August 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The “O” should be setting behind the horizon…with a new day dawning!

freedomfirst on August 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Punish people who succeed. Reward people who fail. Sounds like a plan.

The Rogue Tomato on August 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

rbj on August 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

That was probably transcribed, and that’s how he said it !
His grammar and vocabulary simply drives me bonkers.
There are so many examples, I can’t list them all.

pambi on August 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Don L on August 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Good point but he does seem to be building a coalition of [insert pejorative]

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

More than likely Obama’s order to change an existing law was illegal, as Congress was again, by-passed. President Romney will void all of Obama’s executive orders as soon as he is sworn in.

Amazingoly on August 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Is this all the GOP has? My confidence grows everyday.

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I’m not a registered Democrat, I don’t particularly like Democrats, I don’t think you’ll see me on this board defending the Democratic party anywhere.

libfreeordie on January 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

rogerb on August 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I wish they HAD pointed out the illegality of the EO, here.
Did I miss it ??

pambi on August 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Yeah, but Romney gave some lady cancer so I guess we call it a wash, huh?

tims472 on August 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Once again, I am underwhelmed by a Romney campaign ad. Nowhere near as good as AXR or RNC ads.

Time to hire some new ad people, Mitt. I’m sure Ron Paul’s people are available. Or bring aboard some of AXR’s talent.

Dammit, we need to start going for blood.

JohnGalt23 on August 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

This is Romney’s latest attempt to cast Obama as a big-government liberal

Like the latest attempt to cast Mt. Everest as a mountain?

He’s a fuc*king leftist, you RINO idiot.

The paleolithic stupidity of Republicans could finally be leading them to extinction.

rrpjr on August 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Work requirements for handouts are very popular. If the leftists want to think otherwise that’s a good thing.

forest on August 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

rogerb on August 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Good catch! There will be A LOT of democrats pretending they’re not in November. I cannot even tell you how many people I know who voted for Obama who now say, “Obama? Oh, hell no. I never voted for the guy!” Gives me a good laugh.

And on that note, my young adult kids and I have a little fun with our own little election-year psy-ops when we’re out and about in our very liberal town. When we’re in a crowded store:

Kid will say: I’m so ashamed I wasted my first vote ever on Barack Obama! It just embarrasses me so much. My friends and I always lie now and say we just didn’t vote.

Me: It’s OK, hon. You’re young. You believed his lies. Lots of people did.

Kid: I know, but gosh. He turned out to be sooooo sleazy, like that Nixon guy we studied in AP history.

Me: Well, you can vote him out this time around.

Kid: I know. My friends at college and I cannot wait to do that! I don’t know anyone who supports him anymore.

Of course, the Kid didn’t vote for Barack, but you should see the looks on the faces of the precious O-bots around us. They just want to cry. And maybe, just maybe, a few of them will see that it’s OK to admit the error of their ways!

Rational Thought on August 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Obama is breaking every law and rule he feels like breaking. Spending money we don’t have. No longer deporting illegal aliens. Overregulating energy. And now he’s unilaterally dismantling welfare reform? How can he do that, just because he feels like it? When a Prez can do what he feels like, and rules and laws don’t matter, then we become ruled by men, not laws. Some people are favored, and others not, on a whim of a person. Outcome is then based on who you know, not on what is right. We become like a third world country.

Paul-Cincy on August 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Gee Lib, do you have kids? If you do, when they refuse to do their chores, do you give them candy in order to train them how to get along in life?.

KW64 on August 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Paul-Cincy on August 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That’s it in a nutshell.

rrpjr on August 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

The ad — finally a sober, quiet, truthful ad. No ominous music, no demagoguing, no attacking someone’s personal wealth, no personal references at all. Just plain facts, so people can decide if they want to support welfare, or welfare to work. Your choice.

Paul-Cincy on August 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Welfare enslaves people’s minds and lives. I don’t know why most liberal people can’t see that. It has completely devastated the African-American community since LBJ. I guess people are content to live as sheep under Big Govt.
Maybe being raised to work has clouded my mind.

RadioAngel on August 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Maybe being raised to work has clouded my mind.

RadioAngel on August 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

RA it is a feature not a bug of the trap they designed.

LBJ makes Tammany Hall look like a glee club in history…..

they hate the US’ influence in the world so they undermine our economic engine….

they hate Capitalism so they burden it with more and more dead weight in the cart

they pay the poor just enough so they can have a few toys but cut off aid the minute they start to steer their own boat rather than ride in the welfare barge…..

Decent people want to work and grow, mocchers want to eat the seedcorn.

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

November 6th just can’t get here soon enough.

We will know by 8:15 PM PST November 6. Either the worst time ever or one of the best. The potential horror is discerning.

sdbatboy on August 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

The ’96 welfare reform did more to lift people out of poverty than any other social program reform. I can see how you might have a problem with that. The work requirement, um, worked. So did limited benefits to people. The safety net isn’t a hammock.

lorien1973 on August 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

With Billy now deployed into little Bammie’s campaign, this is a time bomb for Bammie. Let’s hope the old media lets a few questions on this slip out and Billy jumps on it.

He might be willing to reluctantly support little Bammie, but not at the expense of his legacy.

slickwillie2001 on August 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

rogerb on August 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yep; she’s just concerned.

slickwillie2001 on August 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

About this ad.. there’s something tame, temperate, and this is consistent with the idea that Romney wants to be Mr Temperate and reasonable on all issues, Mr. Find the Center that Offends No One. Unfortunately, with his failure to support Chick Fil A he offended certainly more than half the conservative base. But if you “play to the middle” in an etch a sketch “median voter theory” fashion, offending the base isn’t an issue.
Back to the ad. It’s not making the point in an emotional way that is going to get people really upset (and thus win votes). It’s kind of sterile matter of fact, educating the voter, but that’s what the news is for.
And O’s gutting of welfare reform is now down near the bottom of the list of the major transgressions of Obama, I would think. Stick first to attacking O for the out of control govt spending, and, frankly, to attract Dem leaning independents, go after O for his unlimited support of gay marriage and the (perverse) new morality. These are now much much bigger issues. Welfare reform is yesterday’s news in comparison to immigration, O’s war on energy, etc etc. Well, if you are going to cover welfare in an ad, make it emotional and effective, not dry and pointless.

anotherJoe on August 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Romney leaves – ’99
GST closes – ’01
Woman dies – ’06

Obviously, it’s all George Bush’s Mitt Romney’s fault!

Haiku Guy on August 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

It is my understanding that no Executive Order, can be contrary to existing law. Obama’s waiver on Welfare work requirements negates much of the welfare reform legislation passed in 1996 under Clinton. In this case can’t Obama be charged with Contempt of Congress?

Dasher on August 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Obama is the worst of the worst.

jqc1970 on August 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Dasher on August 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

“I won”…

right2bright on August 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Yup.

Because, libfreeordie, you and your Obama Party are screaming and demanding that people who go to work and act responsibly be forced to pay for those who want to get drunk all day, want to play baby all day, and want four welfare-subsidized apartments while they refuse to pay their own taxes.

Your problem, libfreeordie, is that you don’t see a single thing wrong with any of that. Indeed, as a gay black person, you think the government should be paying you double welfare checks at straight whitey’s expense and that you shouldn’t have to work at all.

And that’s what Obama promises you, which is why you are stuck like a remora to his rear.

northdallasthirty on August 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Of course they do.

This is the Pelosi delusion.

This is the Obama delusion.

This is the Obama Party’s mantra.

This is what Obama and his fellow “progressives” honestly believe. They think that the secret to economic growth is putting everyone on welfare and taxing the living bejesus out of the productive.

Why? Because they never have to pay for it. They don’t pay taxes; they just take the free money.

northdallasthirty on August 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Foolish finish to the voice-over …..

It is: “… Mitt Romney will restore the work requirement because it works.”

It should be: “… Mitt Romney will restore the work requirement because IT’S THE LAW AND it works.” (And splash IT’S THE LAW on the screen when it is said.)

Call the man out for what he is! Another missed opportunity.

Carnac on August 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

libfreeordie on August 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Do you teach the art of Fallacious Argumentation?

Wow pathetic. It is worse when one considers that you are supposedly a professor.

CW on August 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM