GOP chair: I hope Palin speaks at the convention

posted at 1:11 pm on August 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

“I can’t make that announcement tonight,” RNC chair Reince Priebus told Greta van Susteren last night on Fox when asked about Sarah Palin’s chances of landing a speaking slot at the Republican national convention in Tampa. “I think a lot of her,” Priebus replied, “and hope that she does speak.”  Politico picked up on the exchange:

If Palin does speak, she would join other prominent GOP women whose national profiles have risen since Palin was pushed onto the national spotlight after McCain chose her as his running mate. In addition to Rice, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez also will be speaking.

Palin told a reporter July 25 from The Tampa Bay Times that she’d “have an announcement in a couple of days” regarding the convention, though no announcement came.

The convention organizers are using a roll-out strategy to maximize media attention on selected groupings of speakers.  Yesterday they rolled out a list of seven Republicans with confirmed speaking slots, none of them a surprise or much of a game-changer.  Today, the group released three higher-profile names that balance interests from different wings of the party:

Former Sen. Rick Santorum gave Mitt Romney a run for his money during the Republican primaries. In return, Santorum will get a major speaking role at the Republican National Convention, organizers will announce today.

Convention organizers will also announce they are giving major speaking roles to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin and Sen. Rand Paul, the son of Rep. Ron Paul, another of Romney’s more dogged rivals.

Handing Santorum a prime speaking slot is a hat tip to his underdog presidential campaign. The under-funded, little-known former senator notched a surprising upset in Iowa, where his brand of social conservatism played well among activists. Santorum has been aggressive about wanting a speaking slot. “I have no doubt that we’ll have some role at the convention,” Santorum told CNN last week in an unusually forward statement.

National Journal believes that Rand Paul’s invitation to a prime-time speaking slot will satisfy Ron Paul delegates at the convention:

Picking Paul looks like a particularly elegant solution to what might have been a thorny problem. Ron Paul’s campaign didn’t gain traction with voters, but his supporters understood party rules better than other campaigns, giving them the opportunity to win delegate seats at county and state party conventions. Had Paul won a majority of just one more delegation, he would have been allowed to be formally nominated for president, which could have been a hurdle for organizers trying to arrange an event that will serve as a Romney coronation.

I’m not so sure that will satisfy those delegates.  I’d bet that Ron Paul himself will get a prime-time slot, as well as Newt Gingrich, both of whom made it through most of the primary process challenging Romney for the nomination.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, and Rick Perry, either.

Today’s announcement was most interesting for the grouping.  Setting aside the relatively unknown Mary Fallin, we have one speaker for the conservo-libertarians, one for social conservatives, and one for center-right pragmatists.  That’s a pretty good trick, one that underscores the strong desire for unity at the Republican convention.

Regarding Palin, I’d guess that her invitation will be promoted on its own.  If Priebus wants her to attend, the organizers will clearly extend the offer.  In case anyone questions Preibus’ desire, Breitbart’s Larry O’Connor asked Priebus to weigh in on the Palin-Cheney debate, and he falls squarely in Palin’s camp:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Everyone always focuses on the presidential election so much, but a lot of times the Congressional elections make the biggest difference. For all the times that Palin is mocked as stupid or shallow, she never seems to lose sight of that.

Right now, when the best we can hope for is a President Romney, the Congressional elections are probably the most important thing happening this time around. Right now, we’re being ruled by executive order because te Republicans have the House, but the Democrats have the Senate and the White House. A conservative Senate and House would strangle a lot of Obama’s radicalism, even if he were to win re-election.

If Romney wins the election, then a conservative Congress might actually be able to repair some of the damage from the last 6 years.

I don’t know if Palin’s stategy to turn the Congress more conservative will work, but it looks like our best hope right now.

tom on August 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I just use the “ignore” button!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Me to for the most part. My argument on this thread was not about the politicians, just the strategy. Seems like a no brainer to me but apparently the “Frum-ians” are too emotionally involved in the argument.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

That was the topic of discussion I was engaged in when I last got on here to comment. I’ve since left work commuted 60 miles, made dinner, watered the garden, watched some awesome beach volleyball and gymnastics and just got a chance to log back in to see the responses to my earlier comments. I decided to comment back. I see you haven’t left your chair.

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

gracie on August 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

gracie on August 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I think Sarah will get to speak at the GOP convention..:)

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Probably. It’s not a deal breaker one way or the other, just smart politics.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I bet it frosts your chaps that Gov. Romney endorsed, donated money to and campaigned for Christine O’Donnell.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Why would that bother me? Are you drunk? I like her. I didn’t know that about him so thanks for the info.

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I think Sarah will get to speak at the GOP convention..:)

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I think you are correct. ; )

Bmore on August 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Am I drunk? Interesting debate tactic.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Probably. It’s not a deal breaker one way or the other, just smart politics.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I hear you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Interesting debate tactic. hic

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

It’s interesting that you like Christine O’Donnell but not Gov. Palin. Statistically speaking that is an unusual combination of preferences.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I like Palin alot more than her followers but I can’t very well vote for someone who doesn’t run now can I? She is in the public arena and not exempt from criticism but I’ll bash Romney for a while if you’ll feel better. I’d rather not as he’s the party nominee and I’m not sure if you’ve heard but there is a really important election this fall and I’d like him to win. Gasp I’ll just put that out there I know how unkewl it is to support the nominee who is running against a radical communist but I’m unkewl like that.

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Good night. Debate yourself for a while if your not too shitfaced to operate the keyboard.

Meow on August 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Steelman fading to 3rd (91% counted):

Todd Akin 202630 36%
John Brunner 166670 30%
Sarah Steelman 161874 29%

JFS61 on August 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Good night, sweet dreams. I think if you look back on this thread you will find that I have not criticized Gov. Romney at all, nor do I think that having Gov. Palin speak at the convention is anything more or less than smart politics. I don’t recognize your name but I hope you comment more often, interesting interpretations.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Analysis by Mr. L’s Tavern:

Romney & RNC Playing Silly Game w/Sarah Palin & GOP Convention Invite

john.frank on August 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

The thought of watching liberals and Palin-haters heads explode is just too sweet.
She will ignite the base and inflame the left and the GOP establishment. What’s not to love?

swinia sutki on August 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I know. If you are going to take swipes at political sycophants you have to be consistent. Go poke bluegill with a stick.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Very good point!..:)

Dire Straits on August 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I’ve never been as sycophantic toward Palin as Basilsbest has toward Romney. Yet I don’t think you’d call that one a kook or a “Shriner”, would ya? I think that’s because you’re a kooky Red Team Shriner… :)

ddrintn on August 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

ddrintn on August 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I think the difference is that Basilsbest was pushing an announced candidate while we know that Gov. Palin isn’t running for office right now. He was “selling” a product that people could buy. He’s not my idea of a promoter but maybe he swayed some. While I think you just want her efforts to be recognized, I believe some think you are still hoping she is going to run this time, as in a fantasy. Therein lies the “kook” tag. Are Shriners consider kooks or somehow odd?

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, right. Try saying you don’t support Romney. “TROLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! SOCIALIST!!!!!!! O-BOT!!!!!!!”

ddrintn on August 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Now the prime accusation if you criticize Romney is that you want Obama to win, that you will accept destruction of the country because Mitt’s not perfect. /s

Palin supporters are supposed to accept the constant harping about her even though she isn’t actually on any ballot but they’d best not have any negative comments about the guy who will be on the ballot – you know – the guy who lost the nomination last time to McCain? Sudde4nly he’s exempt from any comment other than fawning?

katiejane on August 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

katiejane on August 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Yep, we are suppose to rallying around the Republican flag bearer now. And I don’t have any problem with that at this point but I will never understand how insulting her help him. I consider it counter productive.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

“be rallying” Sorry

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I agree, Miss Cindy. My take.

kingsjester on August 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

kingsjester on August 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I wonder what the Post person wanted her to wear while serving food to people? There are some people she will never please, unfortunately they have a national forum.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM

There was a poster at C4P who indicated that they were “friends” with the writer of the WaPo piece. They also expressed a degree of diedain for Palin’s clothing – how it wasn’t proper or dignified. No answer as to what was wrong with casual clothes at a BBQ

katiejane on August 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

katiejane on August 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

As a person who has worn tall heels all of my life, I can attest that flats don’t work. I’ve been unemployed for the most part for two years and my feet don’t like flat shoes. So before they make fun of those wedges they should walk a mile with her feet.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It is indeed. I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that Meow is a MOBY, but it certainly does seem odd.

ddrintn on August 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Basilsbest is so over the top with his praise of Romney that it cracks me up. But if we’re throwing around the accusations of “cultists,” he certainly seems to meet all the criteria.

Frankly, I find the whole “cult” insult pointless. Everyone has their supporters. I don’t understand the fulsome praise of Romney, who is at best potentially adequate. But if you’re going to accuse one group of supporters of being cultists, don’t be surprised by pushback.

tom on August 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Nobody is hoping that. We are trying our best to protect her brand. maybe you’ve noticed that even though she didn’t run, the attacks from the RINO camp and Romney haven’t stopped. They ran story after story about how bad choice as a veep she was and now this disgrace about speaking at the convention. Why is she of all people barred from the convention? Why does Dick Cheney go to national tv to expressly criticize her on hyporcitical grounds?

Of course, we also recognize the reality that Romney won’t win in November anyway and a milquetoast veep is not going to cut it.

promachus on August 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

promachus on August 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

It is unthinkable that, considering where we are, that Obama could be reelected. But I fear you might be right. As for all the rest, there is a reason the GOP is called the stupid party. I don’t know why VP Cheney did what he did but I don’t think it was incidental, politicians, especially extremely seasoned Republican politicians, don’t make that kind of “mistake” with the press. I am hoping it was calculated to let Liz Cheney disagree to shore up support for a future run. As for a VP choice, Gov. Romney is better off going milquetoast since anyone with a spark of life will be destroyed.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

The ship has sailed from ’08, serious voters and Americans are on it and heading to a Republican victory in ’12 with the nominated candidate.

While some have been analyzing and sympathizing with Palin for four years, the rest of us have been living in reality under a bizarro administration that needs to be relieved of their duties in November.

salem on August 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Curious because in 2012 I distinctly remember more than one Romney surrogate praising Obama will be better than Mccain/Palin. What happened then?

promachus on August 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

tom on August 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yep, double standards abound, even on “our” side. As for Meow, I don’t know what that was all about but I don’t believe I have ever been accused of drunk blogging before. Pretty funny. She might want to try that approach on someone a bit newer around here but I did laugh and laugh.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Obama would be re-elected. Period. There’s no way Romney is gonna win. He’s a sacrifical lamb this cycle, he just doesn’t know it yet.

promachus on August 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

promachus on August 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

If Mitt doesn’t start standing with Americans on issues, and if he picks another NE Moderate as his VP, November may be very ugly.

kingsjester on August 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM

promachus on August 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I think that makes us the sacrificial lambs or rather the entire country.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

What it’s about Cindy is not you. I know you think this is your own private Instant Messaging service and anyone who doesn’t comment at least 500 times a day is a newbie. I tried to debate you on a comment you made earlier and you declined to stand up for your own statement. I responded to a comment directed at me and you inject yourself and laugh like a lunatic over what my evening schedule? You were sober when you typed that? My bad. I was just having some fun poking at a deciple of Savior Sarah who carries on all day about his fantasy that Sarah is some puritanical TruCon while calling everyone else on the planet a RINO. I gave a valid example to the contrary and got the reaction I expected. Ignore the fact, counter with “Mitt did it too’ while you provided the obligatory false assumptions about my opinioins and put words in my mouth. It’s too bad yourself and the members of your flock can’t tell the difference between “hating and attacking” Palin and poking fun at the zealots most of whom make this forum unreadable anymore.

Meow on August 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Sarah Palin represents the apotheosis of intellectual strength in the Republican Party. Comparable only to George W. Bush. To not let her speak would actually help Romney!

richardporter on August 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Are Shriners consider kooks or somehow odd?

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I’m sorry for the confusion!..I was not referring to the Shriners International..I was referring to “shriners” who possiblaly have a “shrine”..:)

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

ddrintn on August 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I’m pulling for the GOP candidate Mitt Romney..So if that makes a kook so be it!..I can live with that..Anybody but Obama!..:)

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Are Shriners consider kooks or somehow odd?

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I’m sorry for the confusion!..I was not referring to the Shriners International..I was referring to “shriners” who possibly have a “shrine”..:)

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sorry!..Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

LOL! I didn’t even realize you had said it. I should have gone to look. Too funny.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Meow on August 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Feel free to ignore me, I am going to ignore you. Far to emotional.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

lolz..Sorry I should have been more clear!..:)

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Feel free to ignore me, I am going to ignore you. Far to emotional.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I’ll ignore who I want. I don’t need your blessing to speak my mind.

Meow on August 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM

No, my fault. I thought we were having an exciting story about Free Masons or something.

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM

tom on August 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

What is odd is you are attributing Cindy’s misconceptions of me as my beliefs. Those are her words not mine!

Meow on August 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Cindy Munford on August 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM

lolz..I hear you!..:)

Dire Straits on August 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM

tom on August 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

And another thing Tom, not that you actually read my comments but you must be of the impression a MOBY is someone who wants the Republicans to win right as I clearly stated I do. If you’re going to call someone a MOBY find out what it means first Moby. Hint it’s not an acronym.

Meow on August 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Meow on August 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I TOLD YOU that you post like a liberal. Now maybe you will take more time before you post and actually read your words before submitting your comments.

DannoJyd on August 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Meow on August 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

This cat criticized Bmore for ‘talking about his life’.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Lolz!!! I love you man!

Bmore on March 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I don’t need your blessing to speak my mind.

Meow on August 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Excellent! I believe in absolute freedom on display.

Schadenfreude on March 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM