Bad news from Zach Galifianakis: What the Koch brothers are doing is “not freedom”

posted at 6:20 pm on August 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Good thing I already hate “The Hangover” or else this would have been bitterly disappointing.

The phrasing is important here, I think.

The comedian is referring to a scene in “The Campaign” in which Ferrell’s character, Congressman Cam Brady, takes a swing at Huggins and accidentally hits a baby.

“We really wanted to highlight the ridiculousness that politics has descended into,” Galifianakis says. “Whether you are on the right or the left, everyone can agree that there are a lot of outside influences in American politics that are not good for the system. There’s just too much money.”…

“I think it is pretty obvious that the Motch brothers represent the Koch brothers,” says Galifianakis, referring to the industrialists known for supporting conservative advocacy groups. “I disagree with everything they do. They are creepy and there is no way around that. It’s not freedom what they are doing.”

“I disagree with everything they do.” Even for offhand conversation, that’s an unusually broad overstatement, particularly since the Kochs aren’t social-conservative warriors of the sort that bien-pensant liberals like this guy viscerally despise. Read Nick Gillespie’s post at Reason from last year noting some of the causes to which the Kochs have donated, on top of the millions they’ve contributed to “medical researchers, hospitals, and cultural institutions.” Galifianakis might hate their free-market philosophy but unless he’s a very unusual liberal when it comes to social causes, it’s not remotely true that he disagrees with “everything they do.” So why say it? For one of two reasons: (1) He hasn’t read anything about them that the left hasn’t fed to him, so he’s willfully ignorant of what they do and don’t support; (2) he knows they’re libertarian and agrees with some of their social positions but feels obliged, whether in solidarity with the left or as some sort of Pavlovian liberal response to the mention of their names, to reject them utterly anyway. In light of his “creepy,” ominous insistence that their advocacy for their causes isn’t freedom, I’m not sure which is worse. If you’re going to kick someone out of the Freedom Treehouse, you’d want to at least make sure you know what their views are first, right? Or does disagreement on any single important issue, like campaign finance, justify rhetorical expulsion no matter where they are on everything else?

Speaking of Pavlovian liberal responses, via Reason, here’s a relevant recent clip from Aaron Sorkin’s latest embarrassing exercise in left-wing wish-fulfillment, “The Newsroom.” Exit quotation from the Kochs’ spokesman, responding to Galifianakis: “Last we checked, the movie is a comedy. Maybe more to the point is that it’s laughable to take political guidance or moral instruction from a guy who makes obscene gestures with a monkey on a bus in Bangkok.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Seems like a crazy way to live your life.

Politricks on August 7, 2012 at 7:18

I must have missed the part where I was lobbying my politicians I have donated to and support to use their office to ban the movie “for freedom”….

private citizen economic action is freedom,

Mayors bullying companies quite another….

You can’t change a morons behavior without inflicting pain….maybe if Grafosgalapogos there needs to get a second job one day he’ll burn his brain learning instead of freebasing his monologues….

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

just another hollywood liberal feeding from the pedophile trough. thats why i haven’t been in a movie theater in 10 years

burserker on August 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Odds are better than even that not a single moron in the theater watching this crapola will have a clue as to the Koch Brothers position on gay marriage.

MNHawk on August 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Holy cow! I didn’t realize the Newsroom was pure propaganda.

AbaddonsReign on August 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Limbaugh says they go back and pretend they handled news stories better than they did when the news actually happened, if that makes any sense. It’s what they WISH they’d said.

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’ve never heard of this guy Zach. Why is this important enough to post on this site?

GMO on August 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

i research crime and discovered that Bain Capital has a children’s charity that has given something like 33 million to a variety of causes including providing bicycles w/all the accessories to disadvantaged kids, supporting education in music through Berkeley College of Music, and supporting the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

evil evil bain-giving money to children’s charity. a company that funds the search for missing children -who can agree with that? it’s not freedom.

and logically , therefore, neither is the billions spent by george soros to inflict his anti-freedom worldview through lavish application of his considerable wealth to influence politics. imagine if he had rather spent that money on feeding and housing the poor instead of on wealthy politicians and a flush political party. but he IS free to use his money for non-charitable reasons while the koch brothers are not to be allowed to do so without being considered freedom killing tyrants?

today evil evil bain’s managing director is a democrat.

but you know it is freedom-people using their own money as they wish, people voicing their opinions and beliefs freely without fear of government driven retribution. that is freedom. someone wanting to take away those freedoms like say socialists and liberals are the deluded pawns using the newspeak- trying to make freedom from government intrusion slavery and government slavery freedom. hypocrites and projectionists every one of them it seems.

mittens on August 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

He’s a zombie mouth breather. Koch brothers hate is standard fare for liberals. He’s just regurgitating all the nonsense about them in an aggregate “I hate everything they do”.

Dash on August 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Guess he never heard of SOROS!
Idiot.

faol on August 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I switched to Angel Soft toilet paper to support the Koch brothers. It seems to me, however, that the cardboard roll thing is larger than other toilet paper companies, giving you less toilet paper. I have not compared them side by side yet, so I’m not casting aspersions at this point. If I’m correct, I hope this Zack whatsisname never finds out, or he’ll finally have a concrete issue to hang his hat on.

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Another movie I will pass on.

Dear Hollywood,

It is so thoughtful that you let me know in advance that you hate me, everything I stand for and think I’m a racist (not this particular actor as far as I know), but a lot of you do.

Much appreciated,

Ex-movie attender.

kim roy on August 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’m sure he has no problemo with Gorge Soros…

Seven Percent Solution on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Yes, again the democratics’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros is not mentioned.

slickwillie2001 on August 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

He’s a moron who’s only repeating Leftist talking points….he probably has no clue as to the Koch Bros stand on social issues. Nothing more to it than that.

But how dumb is it, on the eve of a release of a movie that isn’t tracking that well anyway, to piss off a large portion of your potential audience?

changer1701 on August 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Bad news for Zach Galifianakis: What the Zach Galifianakis is doing is “not entertaining.”

Blacklake on August 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Why do we even listen to these actors when they’re not being paid to recite lines?

CitizenEgg on August 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

We don’t listen to them. Their opinions get foisted on on us.

But do you ever about Patricia Heaton’s views? How much reporting was there over Clint Eastwood’s endorsement. Yet some no-talent ass clown’s hatred of the Koch brothers gets splashed all over the place???

Happy Nomad on August 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

You might check the label for the number and size of the sheets.

Oh, crap. I sound like my father.

davidk on August 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I enjoyed the Hangover but both Zach’s politics and his increasingly poor choice in scripts has left me less and less interested in seeing his movies.

Ukiah on August 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM

His standup is hilarious.

Dante on August 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Galifiniwhatever himself is only repeating what the HuffPo told him to say.

When you enter the discussion/comments on progressive sites, you quickly learn the real problem for the left isn’t money itself in politics: it is anything that blocks the progressive agenda.

That’s why they can say with a straight face that they have no problem with George Soros: Soros’ money goes to support the right (left) causes.

All this talk about the “corruption of politics by big money” is only mouthed by liberal drones like Galifiniakis; the hard left would be just fine if the Koch Brothers were writing checks for MoveOn and Media Matters.

MidniteRambler on August 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yep they won’t get any money from me for this stupid movie..people are talking about it at work and i have to bite my tongue not to say how stupid i think it will be..and how liberal as well..the good thing about the 2 hangover movies is that there is zero politics in it..so Zach was good in them but yeah, this is just over the top liberal garbage that i can’t pay to see

sadsushi on August 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Zach Galifianakis

Uh, who dat?

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

You might check the label for the number and size of the sheets.

Oh, crap. I sound like my father.

davidk on August 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

LOL!

Night Owl on August 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I only wish I had ever heard of him so I could boycott his movies

flyoverland on August 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I had some co-workers who told me “The Hangover” was the funniest movie they had ever seen. So I rented it. My co-workers need to broaden their horizons.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Saw 3 episodes of this and almost subbed back with HBO because that is an awesome clip.

If they say W stole Iraq’s WMD and is storing them in Crawford I will have to sub in with HBO.

HBO – nice start. Please work in a story line about how Chick-Fil-A runs a sideline in gay gas chambers and I will sign on for 12 months. YKIMS.

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Better headline:

“Nobody” says, “nothing.”

Greek Fire on August 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Zach G. is engaged to be married to former professional ballerina. In NYC, New York City Ballet was desperately in need of a new theatre and David Koch stepped up. So now, every NY lib that attends City Ballet sits in the David Koch Theatre. Oh the horror!!!

monalisa on August 7, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Shorter explanation: He’s a liberal. Thinking through his position is not required.

In fact, it’s discouraged. Liberals who start thinking about their positions run a risk of becoming conservatives.

So here is a typical liberal. He thinks the Koch brothers are working against his hero, and therefore they’re evil. Rationality not required.

tom on August 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM

“Maybe more to the point is that it’s laughable to take political guidance or moral instruction from a guy who makes obscene gestures with a monkey on a bus in Bangkok”

What he said.

Ellis on August 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Zach Galifianakis

Uh, who dat?

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

A poor man’s Chris Farley.

Fallon on August 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I certainly hope there are no conservatives working on that gawdawful “The Newsroom” or I might feel obliged to go all Adam M. Smith on them…

“I don’t know how you live with yourself and work here…”

The Ugly American on August 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM

A poor man’s Chris Farley.

Fallon on August 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I have 300 channels and I don’t even know who he is.

Piggy fail.

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM

“I don’t know how you live with yourself and work here…”

The Ugly American on August 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM

There will be very conservative people working on that show and smiling quietly whilst taking their fee.

If you want to work in media, dealing with this kind of output is just something you accept unless you go full on Ron Paul / zombie Goldwater. Which is great if you don’t need the money or care about your career.

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM

He is still funny. I don’t care what his politics are.

tomas on August 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM

He is still funny. I don’t care what his politics are.

tomas on August 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Yeah monosyllabic stoner is a real hard act to get right….

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM

CorporatePiggy on August 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Actually, I work in the industry and would rather work on Kardashians or Toddlers & Tiaras than this progressive fap fest.

The Ugly American on August 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Did anyone else mention that this doofus apparently had no moral qualms about co-starring with a convicted rapist? Because I think any sane person would consider sharing screen time with a guy who did time for rape to be truly “creepy.”

Walter Kovacs on August 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Another movie I will pass on.

kim roy on August 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I had to sit through this and a bazillion other previews a couple weeks ago when the hubby and I saw “The Dark Knight Rises.” It reminded me once again why I hate going to theaters any more — I’m stuck there with no way to fast forward through any of it and I can only browse the Internet on my phone for so long before either my hubby looks daggers at me or the announcement comes to shut it off or put it on silent.

The few minutes I saw of this movie did not impress me enough to even consider renting it. About the only thing I liked about it was that it was a respite from the rest of the look-alike, sound-alike action/war/lots of things being blown up movie previews.

PatriotGal2257 on August 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I’ll never quite understand why it’s so easy for so many on the right to raise hell about George Soros and for those on the left to decry and stomp the ground about the Koch brothers, but yet so had for those on either side to stop for a moment and go, “But wait a minute… No… No… No way! They BOTH SUCK and both seek to manipulate are rights to representation by pre-setting the tables to make sure our politics and politicians represent THEM instead! Wow! I’d never seen it before!”

;)

Boomer_Sooner on August 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM

A poor man’s Chris Farley.

Fallon on August 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

RIP CF

22044 on August 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM

So. A guy who plays an idiot in movies isn’t acting. Not a big surprise.

besser tot als rot on August 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM

NOVA funded by David H Koch. Better stop watching PBS kids.

Kaptain Amerika on August 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Who is Zach Galifianakis?

gophergirl on August 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

More importantly, who cares?

NOMOBO on August 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM

somebody like adam carolla needs to get this guy on his show and have a discussion on such matters as apparently this zeke galiwhatnot dude didnt learn in school, like, about how this whole America/Freedom thing actually works.

Sacramento on August 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Wait.

Will Ferrell is a comedian??

Now that’s creepy.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I liked “The Hangover” but “The Hangover 2″ completely sucked. Having said that, Zach is a pretty funny actor. But, basically, he’s a guy who doesn’t have much going for him other than a talent for making people laugh. Which is great for him because he can make millions of dollars doing that and not have any other clear talents in life. So, whatever he says about anything other than comedic acting is nonsense. And that goes for Will Ferrell too.

KateNE on August 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I’m sure he has no problemo with Gorge Soros…

Actually, Sorkin claimed in Newsroom that the Kochs “could buy and sell George Soros ten times over,” which is a bit of an exaggeration (i.e., lie), considering that Soros and each of the two brothers has just about the same net worth (give or take 20% or 25%, depending on the day and method of calculation).

calbear on August 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Dear Zach,

Thanks so much for setting me straight, and helping me understand these complex political issues. Without your insight, I just wouldn’t know what to do or think. You’ve probably been told this a lot, but you’re such a genius – and I’m really lucky to have learned your opinion on the Koch brothers. My friend told me that their name is pronounced coke – isn’t that funny?

Yours truly

livedemordieintheuppermiddleside

Hill60 on August 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

the dude is sort of funny, at times, but is as politically shallow as they come. I saw a bit from him on how he hates republicans because they’re icky, more or less.

There are some intelligent liberal comedians out thete, but he is not one of them

strictnein on August 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM

“Not freedom”? “Creepy”?

He doesn’t know much about George Soros or his past, does he?

Sterling Holobyte on August 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I don’t go to the movies so I’m not entirely familiar with this guy. But is he the reason why every second hipster douchebag is piling on the pounds and sporting a Grizzly Adams beard these days?

Sharke on August 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Hey Zack! Soros! You know the Hitler Youth guy!

Old eagle on August 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Irony alert: it’s not “freedom” unless I agree with it

Not-a-Marxist on August 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM

I noticed that they didn’t reference George Soros, a multi-billionaire that supports the far left, and turned in his own people to the Nazis during WWII. They must have forgotten.

afotia on August 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Galifianakis is just a stoned parrot, repeating what he thinks he hears from his friends in between tokes. He does not have the slightest idea what the Koch brothers do or believe.

Catahoula on August 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM

(3) He’s an idiot.

Jim Treacher on August 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

A useful idiot.

NoPain on August 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

The good thing about not seeing movies with these turds in them is that I save $25.00 (two tickets, popcorn and drink) and I miss nothing of consequence.

swinia sutki on August 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM

The only time I thought this Zach guy was funny was in the show, “Dog Bites Man” on Comedy Central. He then…like Will Ferrel and others, turned that into playing the exact same character movie, after movie, after movie, after movie.

Oh yeah…Jeff Daniels? I remember him…that’s the guy who had diarrhea on the toilet in Dumb and Dumber right?

Didn’t he pee on Jim Carrey’s back or did Jim Carrey pee on his back when they were freezing on the minibike on the way to Aspen?

That’s who I’m gonna go to for my guidance about politics…that’s for sure.

LtT26 on August 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Went to college with Zach – although I never met him that I can recall– he was a humanities major which, all of those “people” were sequestered in one corner of the campus and not allowed to come out lest their craziness spread.

Defenestratus on August 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Of course we should take our political guidance from an “I wish I were funny” comedian who makes D grade movies with another comic “genius,” Will Farrell. Sheesh!

College Prof on August 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

“I disagree with everything they do. … It’s not freedom what they are doing.”

There, in a nutshell, is the liberal mindset. It’s not freedom unless I agree with it.

GWB on August 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Oh man, that “Newsroom” show is clownish. Does anyone actually watch it because my eyes had glazed over at about 36 seconds, an hour of it would put me in a coma.

Bishop on August 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM

So, the Koch brothers are destroying America? Tell me, how much did George Soros pay you to say that?

/Wonka

ZK on August 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

By unbelievably fantastic coincidence, Zach Galifianakis has said something jarringly liberal in the same week in which a new movie starring him is released. Galifianakis and the movie are now being discussed, and largely trashed, on this and doubtless other conservative blogs. There is a Hollywood maxim, “There is no such thing as bad publicity.” Hmmmm . . .

Gene Hunt on August 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

“Last we checked, the movie is a comedy. Maybe more to the point is that it’s laughable to take political guidance or moral instruction from a guy who makes obscene gestures with a monkey on a bus in Bangkok.” – Kochs’ spokesman

Hmmmmmmm …
Is this like, you know, Gonzo politics vs. “Bonzo Goes to Hollywood”?
Meanwhile, back at the dark ops ranch in ChitcagØ:
AxelRoad is pleading ignorance. Gonzo hit jobs.
AxelRoad cut his teeth on the “off-beat” writings of Hunter Thompson.
At least Hunter Thompson knew that the joke was on themselves.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Bishop on August 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM

It will be the 30-Rock effect. No one actually watches the show, but it wins Emmy Awards because it is so awesome.

weaselyone on August 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

-AP

I hate hangovers too.

weaselyone on August 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Bishop on August 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Based upon the advance preview by Brent Bozell, I thought to hell with it. However, not wanting to be uninformed and anti-intellectual, I did watch the first 40 minutes of the first show. Of course the gratuitous snark is ever-present …
HOWEVER, “Newsroom” is just bad, as in awful, as in not worth another second – much like Beavis and Butthead.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

This the most ink this little jerk will ever get.

SurferDoc on August 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Translation: “I’m a fat neckbeard surrounded by beautiful people & barely getting roles so, I toe the party groupthink.”

roy_batty on August 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

About as funny as George Lopez

jake49 on August 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Zach:

Stick to making movies, for God’s sake. At least then I won’t want to smack you upside the head for being an idiot.

Ryan Anthony on August 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Can you not enjoy a game,movie,play,show,commercial,parade,picnic,celebration,etc unless you know the creators/organizers/directer/player/actors political stance?

Seems like a crazy way to live your life.

Politricks on August 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

There are a lot of products that I buy/use which are produced by people with whom I disagree politically; and it’s OK because their political ideology doesn’t usually impact me in any way.
But I refuse to do business with or buy the products of someone who insults me and others like me and call us names because our political beliefs differ from theirs.
There is not one product that I use which cannot be replaced by one of equivalent quality that is produced by someone who does not insult me. And that goes for everything from guns to ice cream to toilet paper.

Solaratov on August 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM

His standup is hilarious.

Dante on August 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Only to the terminally stupid.

Solaratov on August 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

That’s a rhetorical question, right Allahpundit? Because the democrats have built their house out of lies. I do not know of a single instance where democrats tell the truth about anything. Am I wrong? Can someone enlighten me?

And while we on the truth, the republicans are not much better.

woodNfish on August 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Repeal The Hollywood Tax “Cuts”!

M2RB: The Doors

Resist We Much on August 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Anybody who puts out stupidity like “Visioneers” shouldn’t talk about hating the work of others.

fossten on August 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM

There’s “too much money”–except when there’s not. All hail Georg Schwartz Geo. $0®0$/Darth Tenebrous!

ZG is still full of $k@t0S.

Olo_Burrows on August 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM