Bad news from Zach Galifianakis: What the Koch brothers are doing is “not freedom”

posted at 6:20 pm on August 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Good thing I already hate “The Hangover” or else this would have been bitterly disappointing.

The phrasing is important here, I think.

The comedian is referring to a scene in “The Campaign” in which Ferrell’s character, Congressman Cam Brady, takes a swing at Huggins and accidentally hits a baby.

“We really wanted to highlight the ridiculousness that politics has descended into,” Galifianakis says. “Whether you are on the right or the left, everyone can agree that there are a lot of outside influences in American politics that are not good for the system. There’s just too much money.”…

“I think it is pretty obvious that the Motch brothers represent the Koch brothers,” says Galifianakis, referring to the industrialists known for supporting conservative advocacy groups. “I disagree with everything they do. They are creepy and there is no way around that. It’s not freedom what they are doing.”

“I disagree with everything they do.” Even for offhand conversation, that’s an unusually broad overstatement, particularly since the Kochs aren’t social-conservative warriors of the sort that bien-pensant liberals like this guy viscerally despise. Read Nick Gillespie’s post at Reason from last year noting some of the causes to which the Kochs have donated, on top of the millions they’ve contributed to “medical researchers, hospitals, and cultural institutions.” Galifianakis might hate their free-market philosophy but unless he’s a very unusual liberal when it comes to social causes, it’s not remotely true that he disagrees with “everything they do.” So why say it? For one of two reasons: (1) He hasn’t read anything about them that the left hasn’t fed to him, so he’s willfully ignorant of what they do and don’t support; (2) he knows they’re libertarian and agrees with some of their social positions but feels obliged, whether in solidarity with the left or as some sort of Pavlovian liberal response to the mention of their names, to reject them utterly anyway. In light of his “creepy,” ominous insistence that their advocacy for their causes isn’t freedom, I’m not sure which is worse. If you’re going to kick someone out of the Freedom Treehouse, you’d want to at least make sure you know what their views are first, right? Or does disagreement on any single important issue, like campaign finance, justify rhetorical expulsion no matter where they are on everything else?

Speaking of Pavlovian liberal responses, via Reason, here’s a relevant recent clip from Aaron Sorkin’s latest embarrassing exercise in left-wing wish-fulfillment, “The Newsroom.” Exit quotation from the Kochs’ spokesman, responding to Galifianakis: “Last we checked, the movie is a comedy. Maybe more to the point is that it’s laughable to take political guidance or moral instruction from a guy who makes obscene gestures with a monkey on a bus in Bangkok.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah I know that Frisbee there has a really good grasp of even elementary school civics….

//Jim Dangle

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Zack hates tp for his bunghole?

LtGenRob on August 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Zach who???

Steve Z on August 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Beware Greeks giving financial advice.

Lost in Jersey on August 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Zach who???

Steve Z on August 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Zach Snufolupogous George Snuffalupogus from ABC’s cousin….

he played the wooly mammoth on the flintstones…

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

If Janeane Garofalo married Zak Galafinakis, she’d be Joe Garagiola.

Rixon on August 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Who is Zach Galifianakis?

gophergirl on August 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Who gives a damn? He and Ferrel are both a couple of idiots.

Terrye on August 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Okay, I refuse to see anything this man is in, because I refuse to give him anymore money. I just wish he’d said this before I bought “The Hangover”.

ladyingray on August 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

If he’s going to be the same jackass he was before, why did he change his name from Jack Black?

trubble on August 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I approve of the Koch brothers getting rid of the unions.

Alberta_Patriot on August 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I’m sure he has no problemo with Gorge Soros…

Seven Percent Solution on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

14:59 minutes.

Oil Can on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Who gives a damn? He and Ferrel are both a couple of idiots.

Terrye on August 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

and not even useful ones…

Ron “Have I been funny in the last 4 years once” Burgundy approves this massage

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The libs always need their boogeymen.

portlandon on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The Kochs beat me to it: Zach Galifianakis? The guy in the movie with the monkey and the transsexual?

phelps on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Exit quotation from the Kochs’ spokesman: “Last we checked, the movie is a comedy. Maybe more to the point is that it’s laughable to take political guidance or moral instruction from a guy who makes obscene gestures with a monkey on a bus in Bangkok.”

Pretty good slap-down.

Bitter Clinger on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

New strategy from the National Socialist Left?

Label freedoms as something else that can be eviscerated?

Guns are “Assault Weapons” so they can be banned.

Free-speech is “Hate Speech” or “Not Freedom” so it can be banned.

Chip on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

If he commented on Obama’s attack on freedoms and the power of Congress maybe I’d give him some slack. Dude’s no doubt been effected by drug use…much like our President.

CW on August 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Galifianakis works with Kanye West. Who cares what he thinks?

Big News: retard has retarded opinion.

jaime on August 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I hate everything everyone in Hollywood does. So there.

CycloneCDB on August 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Beware Greeks giving financial advice.

Lost in Jersey on August 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Heh!!

Bitter Clinger on August 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Question: how does one “do” freedom? Last I checked, freedom is the lack of restrictions on one’s actions, not a set of actions themselves.

Stoic Patriot on August 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I find Zac G. creepy. I disagree with everything he does (including the two Hangover movies).

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I’ve never heard of him, but obviously, Mr. Galifianakis has dogshitforbrains.

Pork-Chop on August 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Yet he has no problem with George Soros..

interesting the hypocrisy exhibited by idiots in Hollywood

theblacksheepwasright on August 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

LOL at the newsroom

El_Terrible on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know. They won’t get a dime from me for that movie! I will spread the word on it.

Rockshine on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

New strategy from the National Socialist Left?

Label freedoms as something else that can be eviscerated?

Guns are “Assault Weapons” so they can be banned.

Free-speech is “Hate Speech” or “Not Freedom” so it can be banned.

Chip on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Their potential overreach if reelected will be awesome to behold…

since the leftoids will not be held accountable by the press if the voter doesn’t hold them accountable I am pretty certain we may as well just go on ahead and change Old Glory to the Ogabe symbol since the ash heap he leaves won’t be able to be put back to what he inherited when he took office.

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Zach Galifianakis makes Ted Baxter look intelligent.

SWalker on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

“I’m not a person, but I play one on TV.”

-Hollywood

portlandon on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Slow news day? Who really cares what the Hollyweird crowd thinks? Why even give them the ink?

obsessedinga on August 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

One more opinion from Hollywood’s Idiot savants. Thanks Zach. Now send in Roseanne, Cher and Sean Penn on your way out the door.

TheStatistQuo on August 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Just another way overrated vapid Hollywood celebritard reprobate spouting off stupidly because he can.

If he was clerking at a 7-11 — like he should be but either blew the right person(s) or knows someone in the business and managed to get hyped into a ‘celebrity’ by a competent P.R. company — nobody would care what he thinks or says.

FlatFoot on August 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

The old fashioned test pattern looks more appealing everyday. Hollywood sucks.

earlgrey133 on August 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

i like him. wish he would not say stupid things

Drunk Report on August 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Warning: don’t watch the Newsroom clip if you value your brain cells.

Hey remember when liberals were pissed about Obama’s 3-1 cash advantage in 2008, the massive financial contributions of unions to the Democrat party, and all the Soros money in politics? Yeah, those were the days. /

Effing hypocrits.

Kataklysmic on August 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

The libs always need their boogeymen.

portlandon on August 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Yep. For 8 years it was “Halliburton”, but then they became toxic after…

1. People found out that Democrat Presidents also gave Halliburton no-bid contracts, including the two most recent ones (the O’bama no bid contract was for work in Iraq in 2009, but was magically cancelled).

2. OpenSecrets.org divulged that many Halliburton employees, including a Senior Vice President, heavily donated to O’bama in 2008.

3. Leftist Sugar Daddy George Soros bought $61 million worth of Halliburton in 2007.

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Man o man, I’m glad I read the comments before commenting. I do not know who this is. I felt like, “Am I the only one who doesn’t know who this is?”, I have absolutely no idea why I should care what this stranger thinks. Any stranger for that matter. Sorry Allah.

Bmore on August 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

He’s creepy too.

lexhamfox on August 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Is it unusual that Scalia and Thomas didn’t recuse themselves?
If they had Citizens United would have lost 4 to 3.

tehn tuhn tohn tonh!

El_Terrible on August 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Who is this ‘Zach Galifianakis’ and why should we care?

Corporal Tunnel on August 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

This movie looks lame, though the baby part did make me chuckle (God, that’s sick of me!)…more the reference to the baby’s iron jaw, actually.

ellifint on August 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

“I’m not a person, but I play one on TV.”

-Hollywood

portlandon on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Nicely done!!

Bitter Clinger on August 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I’m guessing that the “good news” from leftist nut-job, degenerate and perv Galifianakis is: Everything done by george soros, the reincarnation of the worst of the Third Reich and d-cRAT socialist BILLIONAIRE sugar-daddy, is A-OK GREAT.

TeaPartyNation on August 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

You know what’s funny? That Zach Galifianakis isn’t.

Every read his bios at IMdB or Wikipedia? The guy has been en extreme Leftist from birth. He’s a red diaper baby. He was raised to be an “intellectual” idiot – not unlike Obama.

Jurisprudence on August 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Freedom is what Bill Maher does , right Zach ?

burrata on August 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Wow that Newsroom clip was just paaaainful. I was waiting for everyone seated around the table to start giving the Kochs down twinkles.

Go RBNY on August 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM

He played an ignoramus, mal-developed dope in Hangover and how were we to know he was really that guy!

tomshup on August 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Shut up and make me laugh retard-boy!

the new aesthetic on August 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

i have no idea who Zach is, but do the leftist morons think that the Kocks contribution to the BEST study is evil?

like lemmings, the left follows a pattern, unable to discern the consequences of their actions. Herds do go over cliffs…and i’m sure that Zack et al. are perfectly happy to go over whatever cliff they are told to…yes, they are that stupid

but, more to the point…this country should not be governed by vaudevillians and mistral shows. At one point in our history these people would have ‘performed’ at the edge of town, then moved on.

r keller on August 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

It’s not freedom what they are doing.”

How does one do freedom ?

burrata on August 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

How does one do freedom ?

burrata on August 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I’ve gawt some pointuhs…..

//Bawney Fwang

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM

another mindless Celebrity endorses celeb President in 5….4….

I love how these times smoke out these people that are at war with Traditional American values. They want to drag us all into Sodom and Gommorah in a Hollywood glam sort of way, of course.

Thanks Zach whoever you are.

PappyD61 on August 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

But injecting subtle and at times near subliminal messages in movies isn’t creepy?

ButterflyDragon on August 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Ok. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. You know how libs throw a hissy fits when religious figures make political statements. They yell theocracy! I think conservatives should be more vocal about the immorality in Hollywood and link it to Dems. The fact that Democrats get so much financial support from moral degenerates in Hollywood disgusts me. And I think the Hangover movies are part of the moral trash Hollywood dishes out.

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

The only thing worse than that tool (and the truly unfunny ‘Hangover’) are the people on our side who say “I don’t have to agree with him politically to go see his movies.” Just…Don’t…Go.
If only this guy would have started saying this sh*t before I rented that unfunny, overhyped piece of garbage.

AmeriCuda on August 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Someone emailed me this a week or so a go. Said it was one of the most powerful statements they had seen made in a while. They didn’t know who he was but they agreed with him. I must confess I didn’t remember who he was at first. I had to look him up. While looking him up, I realized who he was and where I had seen him before. Here.

I just looked up the gentleman in this post. It seems he is of the similar stature as the man I linked to. So remind me again why we care what either of them says or thinks.

Bmore on August 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

And you know, just the other day I was wondering to myself, “Gee, wouldn’t it be great if I knew Zach Hellifino’s opinion about the Koch Brothers?”.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Holy cow! I didn’t realize the Newsroom was pure propaganda.

AbaddonsReign on August 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

“Creepy”

Zach is obviously a product of the Scooby-Doo generation.

BobMbx on August 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Instead of paying to this this guy’s latest BO flop go rent WIN/WIN. My favorite movie from last year (along with Winter’s Bone) and funny as heck.

AmeriCuda on August 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Ever notice when these marxists talk about what is not freedom but they never talk about what they believe IS freedom.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on August 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Ok….it takes a lot to make me chuckle, and you did it.

BobMbx on August 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Sit down and shut up you miserable useless actor.

BoxHead1 on August 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

and Will Ferrell?……….Buddy the elf was the only decent thing I think he’s ever done.

This new movie is nothing more than Hollywood mocking Christianity……..so original…..yawwwwwn.

BTW when we go to the polls on November 6th……how about we all go with a Chik-Fil-A product in our hands?

Chik-Fil-A voters aren’t playin chicken this Fall!!!

PappyD61 on August 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

“… here’s a relevant recent clip from Aaron Sorkin’s latest embarrassing exercise in left-wing wish-fulfillment, “The Newsroom.”

Not even if you paid me…

… well, if you paid me.

Seven Percent Solution on August 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Koch brothers using their money for politics = NOT FREEDOM

George Sorros using his money for politics = BEAUTIFUL FREEDOM

The Notorious G.O.P on August 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hmmmm. Who would I rather have the financial support from successful businessmen like the Koch brothers or the moral degenerates from Hollywood who sell violence and sex? Um, the Koch brothers?

terryannonline on August 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

This is the game libs play when they know what we already know that their guy kind of sucks. If it’s a Republican President it’s all bad. If it’s a Democrat President and he’s bad the most they will admit is what you see above. Whether you are right or left (insert some general comment of displeasure).

DaveDief on August 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Burn.

jawkneemusic on August 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

BobMbx on August 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Glad to be of service.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

…so,we made stuff up.

James on August 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Is that REALLY a tv show? So glad I killed mine.

ronsfi on August 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

If Janeane Garofalo married Zak Galafinakis, she’d be Joe Garagiola.

Rixon on August 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

and their kids would look like hairy guinea pigs.

arnold ziffel on August 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on August 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Let’s give the Koch boys credit where credit is due- for financing the most convincing study yet that AFFIRMS the existence of man-made global warming.

bayam on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

TRANSLATION: I’m a Kool Aid drinker. I am of the ‘intellectual elite. I know nothing personally about the Koch brothers, other than what I’ve been told by other liberals. End of thought process. Rinse and repeat.

GarandFan on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

“We really wanted to highlight the ridiculousness that politics Hollywood has descended into,” Galifianakis says. “Whether you are on the right or the left, everyone can agree that there are a lot of outside influences in American politics, especially Hollywood, that are not good for the system. There’s just too much money.”…

iwasbornwithit on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

bayam on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

see you next winter Buy’em by the way….

why don’t you AGW cultists believe in the 1930s?

“SCIENCE!”

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Since Will Feral is in the movie, I was not going to bother (even with Netflix.) I thought about watching Hangover 2, but I won’t now. Show up and support your candidate like Clint Eastwood did, but otherwise, please just shut up. Loose lips equal kiss of death when it comes to Hollywood.

jazzuscounty on August 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I’d take guidance from The Onion’s “Area Man” before this guy.

SomeCallMeJohn on August 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

But when a company does what the Koch brothers do in favor of a liberal Democrat, then that’s okay.

Lawrence on August 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

An unknown comedian thinks he can help his career by offending 50% of the viewing public. Must be looking to capture a very small niche market. Not that there’s anything wrong with that; most would-be comedians don’t have big market appeal, anyway and are happy playing to tiny audiences.

obladioblada on August 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I actually tend to agree with the sentiment that there is too much money in politics but I don’t pretend to know the solution without stepping on someone else’s right to free speech.

Anyway, the “too much money” sanctimony coming from a guy that’s made millions as an actor whose best known movie is one where he pretends to make an infant j*** off is really galling.

iwasbornwithit on August 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Before the advent of mass media, as the old saying went: Every village needed a liberal. Now, that wasn’t strictly true, as one fool could usually only entertain a few people at a time – and even then they had to work in shifts.

But once liberals were able to record and distribute their antics, suddenly a single PROFESSIONAL buffoon became capable of doing the work that used to keep thousands or even millions of amateurs busy.

Of course that resulted in a gigantic increase in the efficiency of the entertainment industry. Unfortunately, it also rendered the vast majority of liberals utterly incapable of being of any potential value to society whatsoever. But at the same time, they were left with the same yearning, desperate need to feel important they’ve always felt.

So here we are.

logis on August 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM

The funniest part of this is that Zach called someone else ‘creepy’. Probably the thing he’s known for most is being creepy as hell.

Kevin M on August 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Repeal the evil Republican Eisenhower’s tax cuts.

Dusty on August 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

She represents all that is good in America.

What a sweet, dignified, professional and patient woman. Everything I wish I could be.

She will go very far in life.

Key West Reader on August 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

If Janeane Garofalo married Zak Galafinakis, she’d be Joe Garagiola.

Rixon on August 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Be nice. Jo Garagiola.

CW on August 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

bayam on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You certainly like the fallacious arguments don’t you?

CW on August 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Sounds like your typical lazy leftist – he has no idea who the Kochs are, but knows that all the “beautiful people” are supposed to despise them.

BD57 on August 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

bayam on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Sorry, Minerva, but according to your own link, that study is only halfway complete, and the second half of the study will tell us much more than the first phase, as the first phase only dealt with greenhouse gasses. The second phase will deal with ocean surface temperatures, as well as exploring mankind’s role in climate change.

How can a study that is only halfway completed be considered “Settled Science”? And how can a halfway done study be “most convincing” and how can said half-term study “AFFIRM” anything?

Using your type of “logic”, I could also claim that even though she only served a half a term as Alaska’s Governor, Sarah Palin’s executive experience in that time is the most convincing proof or her capabilities, and AFFIRMS that she’s qualified to be President.

INCOMPLETE

Del Dolemonte on August 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

So when liberals were saying don’t eat at chick fil a because of a guys political views that was an attack on free speech but in this very thread people are saying don’t support movies because of an actors personal views. Hmmmmm ok….

People on both sides need to stop over reacting. John Stewart had a bit last night about trying to not support a product because its made by someone you politically disagree with is dam near impossible

Can you not enjoy a game,movie,play,show,commercial,parade,picnic,celebration,etc unless you know the creators/organizers/directer/player/actors political stance?

Seems like a crazy way to live your life.

Politricks on August 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Zach Galifianakis: What the Koch brothers are doing is “not freedom”

Okay, I know who the Koch brothers are. Who or what exactly is a Zack Galifianakis and why should I care about his opinion? Please tell me this isn’t another low life Hollywood type thinking that anybody gives a damn about his opinions. You know the way the ever charming Roseanne wanted Christians to choke and die on their Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

Seriously, what is it about the commie coast that gives these low intelligence idiots with a little bit of fame the idea that they anyone cares about their opinion on anything? Hey Zach- Shut up and do whatever the hell it is that you do.

Happy Nomad on August 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Key West Reader on August 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Derp.

Wrong thread. My eyes.

Sorry :o)

Key West Reader on August 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You certainly like the fallacious arguments don’t you?

CW on August 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

when all you have to offer is crap BS burgers get tasty

harlekwin15 on August 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Yeah, those rotten Koch bros…employing all those people (many cleverly disguised as union workers). Acting all capitalistically ‘creepy’ and greedily generating money that they feel they can use however they want (after taxes of course). Man those guys really get in my grill too Zack. It’s not like they’re making people smile and laugh like funny actors do. They’re just bad bad men who shouldn’t enjoy freedoms the way normal people do.

okay that’s about as much sarc as I can muster without throwing up in my mouth a little. Why do we even listen to these actors when they’re not being paid to recite lines?

CitizenEgg on August 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

bayam on August 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I much prefer these writings by activist scientists that prove that the whole thing is a made-up sham.

spinach.chin on August 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Key West Reader on August 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Lol!

Bmore on August 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I’m experiencing some ambivalence here…

As tired as I am of Hollywood humps delivering lefty political harangues, I certainly appreciate those individuals self-identifying just whom I wish not to give my money to.

M240H on August 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM