Video: “Zero Dark Thirty” trailer

posted at 5:31 pm on August 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

I know, I know, the White House’s relationship to this movie is dodgy (albeit not as dodgy as it once was) and so none of us wants to admit that it looks good. But seriously: How could it not be good? How terribly amateurish would a film about the Bin Laden raid have to be for you not to enjoy it? We all know where it’s going and we all know we’re going to relish that scene immensely, so as long as it doesn’t bog down in heavy-handed foreign policy didacticism along the way, it’s a lead-pipe cinch to work. Some victories are so glorious that no serious artistic treatment of them can fail to compel. There may be “bad” movies about D-Day or Iwo Jima out there, for instance, but if there are, I haven’t seen ‘em.

As long as they do right by the scene where you-know-who gets shot in the face, they’re golden.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Anyone who uses the word ‘zero’ in that phrase doesn’t have a clue.

James on August 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Well, THIS should prop up Obama’s sagging poll numbers, right?

Harbingeing on August 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Anyone who uses the word ‘zero’ in that phrase doesn’t have a clue.

James on August 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Believe me: I have a clue. And I’ve heard that phrase used countless times.

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Dude! Spoiler alerts!

lorien1973 on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Meh. Not interested in re-writing history.

If they want to make a documentary about it, great. I’d love to see that. But a dramatized version that will undoubtedly make some stuff up, no thanks.

ButterflyDragon on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Meh. It’s Hollywood.

beatcanvas on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

December 2012?

They couldn’t get it out in time for the election?

cozmo on August 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

What’s with the gratuitous “birth certificate” remark?

That right there makes me think it’s a “rah rah 0bama” propaganda film.

Rebar on August 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

After The Hurt Locker…I am so disappointed to see Kathryn Bigelow involved in this.

tom daschle concerned on August 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Now that we’re allied with Al Qaeda in Syria and elsewhere, thanks to Obama and other neocons like McCain, Rubio and Romney, this movie seems a little dated.

FloatingRock on August 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Looks good. I just hope the focus is on the heroism of the Seals and not the handwringer who made the least gusty call in history in between rounds of golf.

Kataklysmic on August 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It has always been O’ Dark Thirty.
Zero Dark Thirty sounds…. forced.

juanito on August 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Meh. That trailer didn’t move me enough to want to spend $15 to see the movie. And James, I agree…Joe, it’s “O”, not zero.

kekelaward on August 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Believe me: I have a clue. And I’ve heard that phrase used countless times.

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I’ve always heard it referred to as “oh dark thirty”.

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

That’s because they were made before the era of Obama.

whatcat on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I’m glad Valerie Jarrett finally gave the go-ahead. Gutsy.

RBMN on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The part where TFGRP jumps from 1,000 feet into the compound, without a parachute no less, is epic.

Bishop on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I blame Bush.

trubble on August 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It will be great to learn all these war secrets, tactics and such that the NY Times refuses to leak and report… oh, wait.. nevermind

gatorboy on August 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

We all know the truth…Obama didn’t kill Osama. Somebody else made that happen.

Kingfisher on August 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I look forward to seeing the scene where Obama kills Osama with his bare hands.

Gunlock Bill on August 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

flags of our fathers?

aussiecon on August 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Dude! Spoiler alerts!

lorien1973 on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Rofl.

nicktjacob on August 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I heard on the phone that half the movie is a conversation with 0 on how difficult it was that night he spent making the decision.

pedestrian on August 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Oh dark thirty. What kind of FNG came up with this title?

Immolate on August 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

What happened to “Barry does Islamabad”? Lotsa of sequel potential. It is an election year ya know! Hmph. Guess Axlerod got voted down.

onomo on August 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I fully expect the scene to play out thus:

Just as the SEALs have Bin Laden in their sights, there’s an explosion from overhead. A six foot hole appears in the ceiling, and 0bama himself descends on a rope in full combat gear. Landing between Bin Laden and the SEALs, he levels his weapon, says, “Sorry I’m late. I had to tuck Sasha and Malia in for the night,” and pops two rounds into Bin Laden.

CurtZHP on August 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

No thanks. Didn’t the leaks to make this movie put service men’s lives in danger? I hate to be a wet blanket but I’m not rewarding that.

magicbeans on August 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

He’s Barack Obama and he’s come to save the day:

Kingfisher on August 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Lame ass title for a film. Lame ass trailer with far too much angry yelling, too. Having been in uniform, both Active and Reserve for thirty plus years. I am fully aware of what ‘zero dark thirty’ connotes.

The trailer for ‘Act of Valor’ was much cooler. As is the film. This looks like a steaming pile of s*it! It won’t help get Obama re-elected. Too much time has passed and interventions by Valerie Jarrett noted.

Jack Deth on August 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I expect the trailers to begin with “filmed on location in Crawford, Texas…”

Daemonocracy on August 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I look forward to seeing the scene where Obama kills Osama with his bare hands.

Gunlock Bill on August 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

They told Obama that Osama was a rich guy who didn’t pay his taxes. That always gets Obama worked up.

RBMN on August 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Oh dark thirty. What kind of FNG came up with this title?

Immolate on August 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Well, by getting Zero in the title, it pays homage to Obama.

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

“But the amazing Courage and Bravery of the President to make that call is the whole story!!! Thank you Mr. President!!!!”
libfree, cr666

Strike Hornet on August 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

magicbeans on August 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

+ millions

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I’m glad Valerie Jarrett finally gave the go-ahead. Gutsy.

RBMN on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

LOL

Strike Hornet on August 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

what are you smoking? I have zero interest in this film or it’s trailer. I will never watch this movie as it is completely political in nature.

exceller on August 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

CurtZHP on August 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Your forgot the part where Barry stops and asks the Seals if they like his new combat gear and they say what combat gear, you’re naked.

Kataklysmic on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I rather see a movie like this than another Rendition.

terryannonline on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Hmmm. Osama bin Laden… Liberty Va ‘lance. “He shot Osama bin Laden! He was the greatest of them aaalll.” You think they mighta cg’ed Stewart to play Barry on this one? I may have to go see this one. Barry shoots’em with a winchester we’re sunk come November.

onomo on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

At sometime in the future, a book will be written and these words will be printed in red:

“We don’t need to spike the football”

Second Book of Jarret, 7:45

BobMbx on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

kekelaward on August 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Not in the Marine Corps it’s not, and especially not for communications specialists. “Oh” is a letter, not a number.

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I rather see a movie like this than another Rendition.

terryannonline on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Indeed. Rendition was garbage. If Jake Gyllenhall agrees to appear in a film, it’s a pretty safe bet that it’s anti-American trash.

Kataklysmic on August 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

The trailer makes it look pretty sucky. The kill scene better be amazing if I have to sit through two hours of West Wing. But if Obama is still in trouble by Nov. 1 we’ll probably get to see the real one anyway.

Go RBNY on August 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

For “Col.Potter” on MASH, early 0 hours were expressed as:
“It’s three-thirty in the blessed AM! Even the roosters are comatose!”

whatcat on August 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

SEALS: “But sir! You can’t come along, you aren’t even armed!”

Bark: *flexing his biceps* “Did you get forget about these guns?”

SEALS: “Oooooooo…..”

Bishop on August 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Wonder if they’ll include the scene where the Secret Service collects the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers from his golf cart and drags his ass to the Suburban and on the WH, where they give him the nearest intern’s navy blazer so he can pose for the photo ops in the Sit Room.

Nah, they’ll cut that, I’m sure. Instead, they’ll have him barking orders on, say, the red phone to the Op Commander.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

“..no birth certificate..no cell phone..this guy’s a ghost..”

Sounds like our crapsack POTUS.

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

kekelaward on August 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

On a comm network you use the zero. For slang about the wee hours of the morning, it has always been “O”.

Fartnokker on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

God bless the Navy Seals, but I will never watch this film. Hollywood hates America. Hollywood hates the United States military. Hollywood loves Islamic terrorists that kill Americans. Hollywood loves barack. They’ll have to carry on their love affair with that disgraceful man without my 15 bucks.

Rational Thought on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Was that Jesse Pinkman yelling at the detainee in the background? If Walter White is in this it’s the best movie ever!

happytobehere on August 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

This looks ok..i’ll probably watch it but it won’t be as good as act of valor…

the war movie i’m most pumped about is Marcus Luttrell’s..this right here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/ based off his amazing survival story he’s directly involved in it so it’s going to be good..he says there will be a group of other seals involved and some will actually have roles in it just like act of valor

sadsushi on August 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM

pronounced “oh” dark thirty. Been there done that. Only for work, fishing, hunting. Mostly fishing. Interesting time of the morning. Especially out on or in the water. If the crickets don’t stop as you go along you’re doing well.

jake49 on August 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM

navy seal hack.

Uppereastside on July 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

rogerb on August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

..for us USAF officers, it was “..when Mickey’s big hand was on the..”

(TAKE CARE, Jar Heads! We can make fun of ourselves. But if you try it, we’ll hit you with out purses!)

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Will it show Teh Won NOT wanting to make a move THRICE TIMES?!!!!!

freeus on August 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

the war movie i’m most pumped about is Marcus Luttrell’s..this right here

sadsushi on August 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM

With a $50 million budget and Mark Wahlberg as Luttrell, Lone Survivor could be a very good flick. Didn’t realize they were doing a movie of this. Thanks for the 411.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

What’s with the gratuitous “birth certificate” remark?

That right there makes me think it’s a “rah rah 0bama” propaganda film.

Rebar on August 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

~~~~~~~

That stood out to me, too…and this trailer is extremely boring.

ellifint on August 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Good point.

But there is a very bad Spielberg movie about Munich where all the agents at the end are hand wringing and self-loathing about what they did for their people and their country.

With a few exceptions, that’s just BS.

So you can ruin a big win as a leftist movie maker.

CorporatePiggy on August 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

By the way, here’s the 4-1-1 on that “war room” photo. You know, the one where it looks like all of the administration’s nabobs were shoehorned into some goodam janitor’s closet and The Pantload looks like some clueless Domino’s delivery boy who just dropped off five pepperoni pizzas?

Apparently when the deed was about to go down, apparently they dragged his sorry asss off the golf course and stuck that blue windbreaker on him so his golf clothes wouldn’t show.

How do I know? I got a call from this guy in Hairy Reid’s orifice.

(No lie about the golf clothes stuff, though.)

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

“..no birth certificate..no cell phone..this guy’s a ghost..”

Sounds like our crapsack POTUS.

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hey, knock it off! No birth certificate, maybe, but he does have a Blackberry. And, for a ghost, Obama is way too opaque.

Archivarix on August 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

..for us USAF officers, it was “..when Mickey’s big hand was on the..”

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

LOL.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I’m glad Valerie Jarrett finally gave the go-ahead. Gutsy.

RBMN on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Yes, after putting it on hold three times. Who will play Valerie Jarrett in the movie? Linda Hunt maybe? Martin Short?

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

..apparently..

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Well…I believe the AF general gave Bark a little toy phone to play with and pretend to give orders while the general called all the shots.

Bishop on August 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Artsy.

Bmore on August 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

LOL.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Drat! out == our, of course.

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Who needs Seals when we have:

Soooooooper Barack!

Why not? He’s claimed to fix everything else.

Kingfisher on August 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Released in December? What good is that going to do Obama?

rickv404 on August 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The story you think you know…but don’t.

Seal Team 6 only secured the area so that Barky could burst through the door with his tactical assault teleprompter and bore OBL into a coma. Someone had to come and slot OBL after that – out of mercy.

CorporatePiggy on August 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Meh. Not interested in re-writing history.

ButterflyDragon on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Likewise. Not interested.

rrpjr on August 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Released in December? What good is that going to do Obama?

rickv404 on August 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Commercials for the movie are as good as the movie itself.

lorien1973 on August 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

The War Planner on August 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I can actually back that up.

BKeyser on August 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

The Daily Mail has revealed that British actor Ricky Sekhon is playing Osama Bin Laden in Kathryn Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty. Not only has he been cast in the role, but his work on the film is already complete as Columbia Pictures is looking to keep the details about this project extremely secretive. The actor apparently lost 26 pounds in order to share a closer resemblance to Bin Laden

When asked about the part, Sekhon said, “Yeah, I had a part in it, but I can’t talk about it, as I’m on quite a big non-disclosure agreement.”

Zero Dark Thirty recalls the story of the special operations mission that led to the death of Bin Laden last year. It’s obviously an extremely controversial and sensitive subject for many people, so it will be interesting to see how this movie performs at the box office. Right now, we’re just hoping it’s not another piece of vapid propaganda.

Zero Dark Thirty is set to be released on December 19.

J_Crater on August 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Remember when killing terrorists only created more terrorists? Yeah…those were good times.

Bishop on August 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Bishop on August 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You’re probably right, and they had an actor/commander on the other end, who he thought was the actual real commander, just to make him feel Commander in Chief-ish for a few moments in time, while the genuine commander and troops took care of business without his interference.

That, itself, could make a good movie, along the line of Wag the Dog, but the president’s the one constantly fooled by the generals, etc.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I’d love for this to be free from politcal commentary, but you just know there’s going to be references to how past leaders missed opportunities or didn’t go after him hard enough…there just HAS to be something like that in there. And that will be enough for me to not want to see this movie.

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

The entire cast for that movie looks great and really hope they do that story justice (even though Wahlberg is only 5’7″, gonna be busy with those camera angles).

nextgen_repub on August 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

The Scene:

Ninth Hole, Fort Belvoir, Virginia, Golf Course. President Obama’s tee shot on the par 3 rests in front of a sand trap, thirty feet from the pin. At this hour, Seal Team 6 is en route to Abbattobad.

Caddy: Mr. President, I would go with the pitching wedge. It’s a safe bet. The alternative is your nine iron. Not quite as much back spin, but you need to keep the ball on the green to save par. They are running a little fast today. Why don’t you just go with the Wedge. It’s a safe bet.

Pres. O: I’m the President of the freakin United States of America! Hand me the damn Nine Iron.

Caddy: Gutsy Call, Sir. Gutsy call . . .

BigAlSouth on August 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The Scene:

Caddy: Gutsy Call, Sir. Gutsy call . . .

BigAlSouth on August 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And then Barkster shanks it 90 degrees and retreats to the limo where he proceeds to ‘hotbox’ it with Pookie whilst singing Choomy Choomy Bang Bang.

CorporatePiggy on August 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

There is no letter “O” — if you’re on a radio, you say “Oscar”.

Therefore, “O” (or 0) can only refer to a number. You might say “zero five thirty” to express 0530 hours, but the saying has always been “oh dark thirty” (or “oh my God it’s early”).

clayj on August 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

TXUS on August 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

no prob

sadsushi on August 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Commercials for the movie are as good as the movie itself.

lorien1973 on August 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Better.

rrpjr on August 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for the reminder that a Hollywood director was leaked classified info by a shameless W.H. who wants to win by any means necessary.

Question though – What’s with the “A” in the beginning of the trailer? It looked like the Anarchist’s symbol but that can’t be it. I ask this as a layman who had never heard the phrase Zero Dark Thirty, so I hope you military folks will forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

1. The Oscar award will look so great next to the Nobel Peace Prize.

2. Can’t wait for the Plinkett review on this.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

When are they going to announce this fall’s sitcom of Choom and the Bully?

It has a happy go lucky stoner star that goes around helping everyone in need and an arch villian who is nasty rich kid that holds down people and cuts their hair. In each episode, Choom saves the day by getting one of his friends to ask an unsubstantiated loaded question that the bully cannot answer.

pedestrian on August 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

What’s with the “A” in the beginning of the trailer?

It’s just the production company’s logo.

clayj on August 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

You gotta go down …it’s gotta be that way…

The Ugly American on August 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Believe me: I have a clue. And I’ve heard that phrase used countless times.

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I’ve always heard it referred to as “oh dark thirty”.

Bitter Clinger on August 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Same here.

Red Cloud on August 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’ll buy the DVD….

pretty hard to reward the filmmakers for trying to fete Da Wun….

add in the fact he spiked the football so hard Seal Team Six got collateral damage…..

nah…..

hats off to the Seals and God bless our forces afield

harlekwin15 on August 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Same here.

Red Cloud on August 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Unless the army was playing jokes on the wife and I and the air cargo business as well it is “oh dark thirty” usually followed by a chirpy “Good Morning it’s lunch time!”

anyway I hear that General Manly Throw McMomJeans singlehandedly held down Choombreak Ridge to allow ST6 to escape the compound…..

//forward

harlekwin15 on August 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Okay, I’ll pass on this movie.
Took the grandkids to see the new Ice Age in 3D, it was okay…getting over-worked a bit.
But there was a trailer for the movie Rise of the Guardians, with a kick-a$$ Santa Claus and an Easter Bunny with Hugh Jackman’s voice and Wolverine’s attitude. Looks great! You can see the trailers here…
Hey, what can I say, I like the newer kids movies.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

It’s just the production company’s logo.

clayj on August 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Ah, okay, thanks!

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

The Battle of the Bulge may have been a good movie, but it wasn’t very accurate. Apparently, we won due to our secret weapon, flaming 50 gallon drums of fuel.

BohicaTwentyTwo on August 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

If some of the pilots in Redtails were potrayed by white actors would the outrage ever end? 99% of the SEALS were white on this op. Dont hold your breath for an accurate reflection of that fact.

Thicklugdonkey on August 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

If it’s made by the same guys who did THE HURT LOCKER, hearing the SPEC OPS guys laugh as hard as the EOD guys did will be worth the price of admission.

rotorhead on August 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

rotorhead on August 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Combat engineer buddy of mine(non EOD) said at Hurt Locker……

and in the directors’ cut you can see where james has his cape packed up and ready to go and the entire Engineer branch grabs the idiot ball and looks the other way…..

funny stuff

harlekwin15 on August 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Was it a coincidence that Panetta and Petraeus just happened to be reassigned a few days prior to killing OBL? Or did they piss Valerie Jarrett off enough by presenting him a done deal that Obama had to go through with the mission, but then punished them in the same way that he did Hillary? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

rotorhead on August 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Believe me: I have a clue. And I’ve heard that phrase used countless times.

JoeShmoe99 on August 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Same here…

BigWyo on August 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

gee.

let’s make sure our enemies know as much as possible.

that will help.

how patriotic.

reliapundit on August 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Big Wyo,

I’ve heard both…briefings it depends on the boss….

Air Ops tend to use “Zero”…..

GI to GI I have seldom heard other than “oh” though….

harlekwin15 on August 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM