Video: The greatest ad ever?

posted at 8:21 pm on August 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via LauraW at Ace’s site, a new entry in the surprising recent ad trend involving people being scarred for life. The last spot I saw that was as genuinely funny as this was … I’m tempted to say the Darth Vader Volkswagen Super Bowl spot, but that was less “ha ha” than “tee hee.” This one? Ha ha. Can’t wait to find out in the next few days how the idea for this came together within Ragu’s creative team. It feels like a joke someone made while the writers were sitting around a table late at night looking for a real idea, and then the more beers they drank and the more they thought about it…

We’ve all been there, though, haven’t we? An inopportune barging-in to mom’s and dad’s bedroom followed by a warm bowl of guilt pasta. No, just kidding. No one’s been there. No one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Okay, I’m a prude. Is this really necessary? Everything has to be about sex? Even the perpetually libidinous Don Draper* on Mad Men said that “sex sells” is for lazy people.

*Yes, Don Draper is real, at least, when I want him to be for commentary on advertising.

DrMagnolias on August 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Would Dad really be home at that time?

WisRich on August 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM

No, but the next door neighbor or someone else was, and Ragu sauce ain’t gonna help the kid with that. Note that the boy cried out, “Mom”, and not “Dad”.

TXUS on August 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM

That ad team had a lot of those nights. Look at some of the other ads when this one ends. Some are laaaate-night ad team weird.

“Piano Kid – Ragu asks”

eeyore on August 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM

DrMagnolias on August 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I don’t think you are a prude. I just think that some people have been desensitized to seeing such sexual innuendo that something like this seems “cute” to them.

Anyway, I am glad I started making my own spaghetti sauce(the jarred stuff always made me fill sick and I couldn’t stand to smell that junk in the dishes afterward). And I wouldn’t buy Ragu now even if I needed some sauce in a pinch, especially after seeing this ad. Marketing fail.

Sterling Holobyte on August 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the most traumatizing aspect of that ad: she BROKE THE SPAGHETTI before putting it in the water!

That’s unforgivable and I’m not even Italian.

Steve Keeley on August 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I can drink that stuff right out the bottle!

The pasta vector is unnecessary.

Zesty!!

Sherman1864 on August 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Maybe he saw that his mom was on the Rag-eeeewe.

justltl on August 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Please don’t ban me.
I have internetourette’s.

justltl on August 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Maybe he won’t end up an only child.

AshleyTKing on August 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Geez, I thought that I coined a new term with that internetourette’s, but it’s already on the Urban Dictionary.
Nevermind.
Nothing new under the sun.
Carry on.

justltl on August 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Made me laugh. And reminded me of a story when my daughter who was about 7, went to use the bathroom at a restaurant in Gettyburg PA. She came back and said they had toy machines on the wall.

Dad asks, “But you didn’t buy any?”

Daughter says, “I used my own quaters, Daddy.”

Facepalm, hand it over.

hawkdriver on August 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

See now that would make a funny spot.

Bmore on August 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Funny in a juvenile way, but I give thumbs down. I don’t think most parents would care to explain it to their rugrat and I prefer more wholesome stuff on the tube. What adults choose to watch when kids not around is another matter.

Southernblogger on August 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM

We don’t buy Ragu and this ad won’t make us any more likely to. Less, perhaps. Of all the possible reasons why a kid would need a plate of comfort food, I have to think they skipped a few to arrive at that. We may not have much, but we have the sense to use the lock on our bedroom door. Dumb ad.

swinia sutki on August 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

swinia sutki on August 7, 2012 at 5:43 AM

But what about the transparency thing?

Just kidding!

Sherman1864 on August 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM

So after watching this ad will kids who see their mom making spaghetti with Ragu say to their mom, “Did you have sex with dad?”

Mom thinks to herself – never buy this pasta sauce again….

—————–

In the ad – After mom and dad notice that the son caught them having sex in bed, where and how did they come up with the idea that opening a bottle of Ragu “solves” the problem?

My first thought when watching the ad was that mom and dad were using Ragu in the sex act…

albill on August 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Come on.. that’s border line funny. “HAHA” funny? Gets a small chuckle from me.

Maxlugar on August 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Ha Ha funny?

AP must be working through some childhood issues. Good luck, friend.

socalcon on August 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I thought this was a parody at first. This ad is terrible.

Write Wing on August 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I LOLed. Saw it last night on TV watching a movie. The advertisers are getting better LOL!

upinak on August 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Yeah, I didn’t think it was all that funny either, much less appetizing except maybe in a Truman Capote kind of way.

But since we’re on the subject, how about “Good morning, sweetie, Mommy’s lonely….”?

Seth Halpern on August 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Not funny. And besides, the kid would NOT be looking at either of them at the table and smiling, he’d be staring at his Ragu with a vacant look on his face.

James on August 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

From the look on the kid’s face to the Ragu pouring from the jar, I couldn’t help but think of the kid vomiting. Not the best ad association if you’re selling a food product.

alflauren on August 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I don’t get it.

corbeck on August 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Looks like that’s the moment Barney Frank turned gay.

Texyank on August 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Frankly, I don’t think spot should have made it past the first script revision/rewrite.

I’ve seen better juvenile humor – this is just plain bad… kinda like their sauce.

Hill60 on August 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

poorly executed, tasteless, and smart parents lock their door.

sothinbelle on August 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

One of my all-time favorites is the “alien in shipping” commercial for FedEx, which you can view at http://www.visit4ads.com/details.cfm?adid=13762n . It’s classic.

KyMouse on August 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Well, the Fed Ex commercial “alien in shipping” is gone from the above site, but I just found it here:

KyMouse on August 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Dumbest commercial on tv.

Redford on August 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The only people who watch TV anymore are apt to find this ad amusing.

aloysiusmiller on August 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM

It’s not that funny unless you listen to the style and lyrics of the song, by the way. If you’re watching without sound, you’re missing half the fun. Or, well, 3/4, maybe.

Tanya on August 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM