RNC announces first round of speakers to GOP convention

posted at 12:01 pm on August 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The RNC and Republican convention organizers have announced some of the speakers for the Tampa event that starts three weeks from tomorrow — but not the most-watched slots.  The Tampa Bay Times picks up the scoop, although there aren’t any real surprises in the list:

Florida Gov. Rick Scott, Sen. John McCain and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice are among seven headline speakers announced today for the Republican National Convention in Tampa.

The first look at featured speakers also includes South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez.

The keynote speaker and others will be named closer to the Aug. 27-30 event, Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus said in announcing the headliners, whom he called “some of our party’s brightest stars, who have governed and led effectively and admirably in their respective roles.”

The Times notices the names not on the list, at least for now:

Noticeably absent from the headliner list are several VP contenders: former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Let me go out on a limb and predict that all of the above will speak at the convention.  The event takes place over four full days, with about six hours of speaking/presentation time each day.  Some of that will get eaten up by convention business and floor votes, video presentations, and so on.  That still leaves about three hours or more each day for speeches.  The released list could go one day and leave some time left over, let alone the other three days of the convention.

Buzzfeed thinks the short list of announced speakers means a few people have lost the Veepstakes:

It’s possible that this is misdirection or that any one of these notables could still be selected for Veep, but this certainly makes their selection less likely.

It’s a good point — but there were only a couple of interesting names on this list.  Kasich isn’t popular enough in Ohio to help anyway, and neither Haley or Martinez have been governor for long enough to be more than a high-risk choice.  Mike Huckabee all but declared himself out of electoral politics last year.  Not much can be gleaned in Veepstakes outcomes from these names.

The inclusion of Governor Scott was pro forma for a convention in a state with a Republican governor.  It would be bad manners not to invite Scott to speak.  So far, though, Scott has kept a low profile in Florida in connection to the Romney campaign, according to the Times, because of Scott’s low approval ratings in the state.  Democrats want desperately to tie Scott to Romney, but Scott’s been a good team player and avoided handing them any opportunities.  If that’s still a worry three weeks from now, Scott will probably speak early in the convention and outside of prime time — which would be a shame, because Scott is pretty good on the stump and will fire up Republicans.

We’ll know more about the rest of the invites later this month, perhaps after Romney selects his running mate.  Romney starts a bus tour this week, and the Tampa Bay Times suggested that it might be in part a platform for rolling out the Veepstakes winner.  I don’t believe that Romney will waste the opportunity to build enthusiasm and attention by announcing early, though.  I’m sticking by my prediction of either August 17th or 20th for that announcement.

Update: A few “why isn’t _____ on the list?” comments in the thread, so let me explain.  This is just the first batch of confirmed speakers; the final list will be much longer.  Some names, like Chris Christie, Scott Walker, Ron Paul, and Sarah Palin, will generate a lot of buzz on their own, so expect the convention organizers to hold off on those names and announce them individually.  For the rest of those national figures who might play into the Veepstakes or Romney’s former primary opponents, they can’t schedule them until Romney picks his running mate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Not only that, but she’s basically dumped any future in elected office for her current status as rightwing media star. It’s kinda too late to go back now, this close to the election.

And would Romney even accept her in the first place? He’d be shown up daily on being conservative by a half-term runaway governor. His ego CANNOT take that.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

verbaluce has a proposition for you….the two
of you team up to form the DELUSIONLAND TICKET.

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Nice picture of Nikki!

*swoon*

petefrt on August 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

verbaluce has a proposition for you….the two
of you team up to form the DELUSIONLAND TICKET.

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’ll consider it when you take a vacation from Dumbassistan.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Everybody pees in the pool.

John the Libertarian on August 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

and some like verbaluce…xblade..take a dump in it….

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I’ll consider it when you take a vacation from Dumbassistan.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

You already conquered that territory friend…

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

You already conquered that territory friend…

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I know, but I’m considering letting you secede.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

You already conquered that territory friend…

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Yes I did, but you weren’t really worth the effort to conquer.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

My point is that she seems to have already burnt the bridge to any working relationship with Romney given her stance during the primary. She doesn’t need to speak at the convention and an invitation to do so would seem really weird on the part of the Romney campaign.

nitzsche on August 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Hilarious.

Did you see Pawlenty’s “Obamneycare?” Gingrich’s & Santorum’s debate jabs?

But Palin is someone Romney just can’t work with. LOL.

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

That would be a disaster. Palin is not viewed favorably by independents.

McDuck on August 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yes, we still remember that Rasmussen poll from a year or so ago that claimed that 20% of all conservatives would vote for Obama’s re-election if Palin were the nominee, and another 10% were unsure if they’d pick Palin over Obama.

Of course, numbers like that suggest to me that 30% of all conservatives don’t really think that Obama’s all that bad.

/snark

Aitch748 on August 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I think Romney should ask Palin to be VP.

nitzsche on August 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don’t think that would be a good idea and I really like Palin. I think maybe Energy Secretary would be nice but I’m not holding my breath.

magicbeans on August 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Wrong again, Dannio. The conservatives will vote for Mitt (ABO) and Sarah has and will deliver some real conservatives to Congress who will be crafting the legislation for him to execute…get it?

gracie on August 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Where do you get your news? Liberals-R-Us?

I just spent over 18 hours at our County Fair [last week] talking to voters, and I met ZERO who were excited about Romney, so I let them know that there would be one conservtive on the ballot if they wanted to cast a vote based on their convictions. That seemed to please them greatly.

After I win my election tomorrow I’ll be getting my invitation to attend our SWM TEA Party meeting of elected delegates, and I may well request to speak on my idea of how we can get unenthusiastic voters to the polls in November. I think they would be as interested as my local TEA Party members have been.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I know, but I’m considering letting you secede.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Yes I did, but you weren’t really worth the effort to conquer.

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Wow! two separate responses….carry on….

ToddPA on August 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

/snark

Aitch748 on August 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Romney thinks Obama’s a nice guy…:)

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Update: A few “why isn’t _____ on the list?” comments in the thread, so let me explain. This is just the first batch of confirmed speakers; the final list will be much longer. Some names, like Chris Christie, Scott Walker, Ron Paul, and Sarah Palin, will generate a lot of buzz on their own, so expect the convention organizers to hold off on those names and announce them individually. For the rest of those national figures who might play into the Veepstakes or Romney’s former primary opponents, they can’t schedule them until Romney picks his running mate.

That makes sense Ed. Thank you.

NotCoach on August 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

go poop on your own party…party of 2 that is…you and gary johnson

gracie on August 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Considering your irrational support for 0bama lite, we know which party you wish to see go more liberal. Sheeple like you always do.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

gracie on August 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

OMG Gracie… its deja vous… Gumby from yesterday morning reincarnated.

VietVet_Dave on August 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Romney supports 0bama’s Individual Mandate, which 0bama stole from Romney in the first place. ;o)

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Romney supports 0bama’s Individual Mandate, which 0bama stole from Romney the Heritage Foundation in the first place. ;o)

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Makes a little more sense now.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Palin Power!

America needs conservatives in charge for a change!

….mittens sux!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

OMG Gracie… its deja vous… Gumby from yesterday morning reincarnated.

VietVet_Dave on August 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Don’t you fret. After the disasterous GOP National Convention I’ll again be working at the grass roots level to get people to go vote for the candidates we TEA Party Patriots support, and during that time the Romney supporters will keep busy with the arduous task of warming their chairs.

Who do you believe will have the most effect on the election this year? Me, the guy who regularly talks to hundreds of voters, or those who stay at home cowering in fear?

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I suspect that ratings for the GOP convention will be dismal unless Sarah Palin is there with a prominent role…….

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

calling us Paul supporters petty when it’s the mittheads who want to keep re-fighting the primaries

Mocking Paul and his supporters isn’t “re-fighting” the primaries because Paul doesn’t put up a fight in the primaries in the first place. He’s a sideshow freak, not the main event.

Paul should be given a spot at the convention, and the first thing you do is make KKK references

abobo on August 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

If Paul were just a racist and anti-semite, he would still have to be banned from the convention. Unfortunately, he is much worse.

In January of 2008, Herr Doktor Paul lied saying he would like the so-called “9/11 truthers” to shut up but he can’t make them. Nine months later, Herr Doktor Paul deliberately chose to put 9/11 truther Jesse Ventura on the stage at his they-didn’t-choose-me temper tantrum he called “Rally for the Republic”.

Four months later, Israel launched Operation Cast Lead when in response to a three year bombardment of heavy artillery rockets, , Herr Doktor Paul put up a youtube video where in he lied about Israels war efforts calling them “preemptive, preventative war”. He also falsely claimed Hamas had only “a few small missiles”.

There is nothing “preemptive” in returning fire after the enemy has shot at you more than 3,000 times in a single year. There is nothing “few” or “small” abut the 1000+ Qassam III rockets launched at Israel (each being six feet long, weighing 200 pounds and carrying a 20 high explosive warhead).

Ron Paul knowingly and willfully promotes the spreading of false anti-American propaganda and he lies on behalf of islamo-fascist terrorist groups. He is a an enemy/terrorist sympathizer and a traitor to his country. He should just join the democrats where they can dig up the corpse of KKK Imperial Wizard Robert Byrd and put it next to him so that Herr Doktor Paul can feel comfortable being with his own kind.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

how many people will mittens have to pay to attend the convention and act enthusisatic?…inquiring minds want to know!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Makes a little more sense now.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

OMG! Heritage created Romneycare?!?! Who would have thunk it. /s

Heritage did publish one article supporting the Individual Mandate, but they quickly reversed course after taking it under further consideration. Romney still supports the liberty robbing Individual Mandate though, Just Like 0bama!

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

one more time:

how many people will mittens have to pay to attend the convention and act enthusiastic?…inquiring minds want to know!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

mittens=obambi!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The only reason the Romney supporters are against Palin speaking at the convention is that Palin would outshine Romney. Bold colors vs pale pastels.

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

magicbeans on August 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Dr. Eric Loewen, Dr. Charles Till or Kirk Sorensen would be better choices for Energy Secretary.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

BTW…President Bush asked not to be invited, he is not involved in politics anymore.
It was in the news for about a week…you didn’t see that?

right2bright on August 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I stand corrected on that. But it doesn’t change my contention that there’s no good reason to have McCain speak.

Right Mover on August 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

For the Ron Paul Supporters:

I’m sorry that thr Willard puppets are attacking you relentlessly and in such a filthy liberal fashion, but you scare them because they KNOW that you could go on to support Governor Gary Johnson this year and Romney has nothing to offer when comparing the records of both men.

Please do not let them cause you to stay home in November. DO get out and vote your convictions instead.

I may not be a big Ron Paul fan but I absolutely respect the efforts put out by his supporters.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

you mean bold colors versus ‘colorless’!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

If it weren’t for carefully controlled and hand-selected crowds being paid to show up, Obama wouldn’t be able to fill a high school gym. In fact, he couldn’t 2 1/2 years ago when he was campaigning in Mass. against Scott Brown.

Right Mover on August 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Palin Power! Palin Power!

Pragmatic on August 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Palin’s not the star of the show here. She’s not our nominee. Drill it in to your head or prepare to spend the next four years whining to an audience of nobody.

KingGold on August 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

You’re right, she’s not the “nominee”….but she certainly is “the star of the show.” Obviously, you can’t accept that nor even wrap your little brain around it.
The main reason that Sarah is not being given a speaking spot, is 1976. The gope will NEVER have the delegates thinking that they’ve pick the wrong nominee ever again.

tencole on August 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Palin will draw the coverage at her mall location for the real keynote…

ChuckTX on August 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

And she would get higher TV ratings, if it were shown prime-time.

listens2glenn on August 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Some of you people are ignorant. Do you know what
a conservative stands for? If you don’t, I suggest you do your
research. If you do, how can you disparage Palin? If you don’t
stand for the same ideals she stands for than you are no
conservative. Your attacks against her define you as either
a liberal or a rino. Attacks against Palin are an assault
on all conservatives.

Palin has shone a spotlight on Obama’s socialist/marxist/communist drive to destroy this country. She has taken political risks,
outed both dems and repubs as to their elitist croney capitalism.
She actually has a record of doing this; she walks the walk.

This election is the last time I hold my nose and vote for a rino.
This election is the last time I vote as a republican; I will change to independent status. I withold my contributions as well.
Not one dime to the repub party.

I would like Palin to have a prominent speaking position at the
convention. Not because of Palin as I am sure she doesn’t care
one way or another. I have three reasons: 1) it would make me
feel slightly better about voting for Romney; I would like to think
he is not petty, that he would understand it would be proper/classy to invite the previous election’s VP candidate, 2) it would prove he has control of the Mittbotts, not the other way around; and 3) it would encourage conservatives to come out and vote because we need the votes to beat Obama.

Amjean on August 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

So we can expect the ballot to look like (D), (R), (I), and (T) then, right? Newsflash… primaries are over… runoffs will be over. There won’t be a choice between an (R) and a (T).

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Who is cowering in fear? Choose your party affiliation. People are going to educated themselves the way they see fit. This is a pretty simple choice now that we’ve seen almost 4 years of H&C with a promise of “more flexibility” if Prince Clown gets re-elected. The ABO vote will be large and people will ask themselves if they’re better off now. People don’t need to be convinced at this stage.

VietVet_Dave on August 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Give it up already. I’m sure she’ll get a spot somewhere, and I’m sure you’ll tune in and slobber over what she’s wearing, how her hair is done, how she walks to the microphone, every word out of her mouth, etc.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Right Mover on August 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I wonder if 0bama stole that idea from Romney the same way he stole Romneycare and rebranded it.

There is nothing origional about 0bama, and nothing conservative about Romney.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Gee, why am I not surprised that supporters of some people, you figure out who, are already jumping to conclusions. Of course if they wanted their idol/politico/hero/heroine/whatever to be in one of these more minor speaking spots I guess that says something about what they think of them..

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM

VietVet_Dave on August 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Go buy a newspaper. Then you can read all about the TEA Party candidates winning their general elections, many of whom got personal support from Sarah Palin.

I wonder where RINO Romney has been. I’ve yet to read about any of his candidates winning a thing.

Allowing ones self to be bogged down by a party affiliation is the first step in becomming one of the sheeple. Best to keep ones options open since the GOP is again pushing liberal RINO’s on We The People. That is why the number of independent voters has grown so dramatically.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Who is cowering in fear?

VietVet_Dave on August 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Apologizes. I forgot to ask you if you were signed up as a GOP grass roots volunteer yet. I KNOW FOR A FACT that they need everyone they can get, and that without more people working to get Romney elected he will lose this year.

If you aren’t going to work for the GOP you have answered your own question.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I may not be a big Ron Paul fan

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

This much is true. Unlike Gary Johnson, Herr Doktor Paul is pro-life (when it’s a pure white baby).

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

And you are also sure Romney will win, right? LOL!

Breaking news!!!

Palin Slams Media, Says She’s ‘Comfortable’ Not Speaking at Convention

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Also worth noting is that there were 27 speakers at the last convention, which is typical. So that means only 1/4 of the speakers have been announced. Everyone needs to get a grip.

Deanna on August 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We already know about how Romney gave money to support Abortions-R-Us. You don’t need to remind us of that.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Some of you people are ignorant. Do you know what
a conservative stands for? If you don’t, I suggest you do your
research. If you do, how can you disparage Palin? If you don’t
stand for the same ideals she stands for than you are no
conservative. Your attacks against her define you as either
a liberal or a rino. Attacks against Palin are an assault
on all conservatives.

Amjean on August 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I like Sarah Palin. She’s brilliant and cunning political strategist as shown by being the first person in more than 50 years to break the curse of the losing VP candidate and come back even stronger than she was she was was first picked.

Speaking personally, there is no hatchet to bury or olive branch that needs to be passed between Mitt Romney and myself. We have a good relationship and I have great respect for him and I am so thankful the GOP has a strong candidate who understands the private sector and what it takes to get the economy roaring again.
- Governor Sarah Palin

I applaud Governor Palin for her heartfelt endorsement of the strong candidate that the Republican party has selected to take back the White House. As well as both her and Governor Romney for the examples they have set of the family values that help make America great.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

idesign on August 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

An obvious role for Palin is to introduce Mitt as the party nominee.

gh on August 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Someone explain to me how Romney thinks he’s going to win with the Palinistas and the Mittbots hating each other? There is way more enthusiasm for Palin than there has ever been for Romney… he could have used our support. I, a faithful donor to the cause, have not given one cent to the RNC or Romney and I won’t. Neither will my husband.

After Palin’s phenominal roll out and convention speech this convention is going to be a huge snoozefest. Really Mitt was your attack plan against Palin and thus her supporters really that smart? Will you use the same scorched earths tactics against Obama or will you go the nice guy routine like McLame?

I have no plans to watch the convention… and happy me, I realize I don’t have to compromise my principles and vote for Romney because I live in CA and this state is a lost cause anyway.

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

And you are also sure Romney will win, right? LOL!

Breaking news!!!

Palin Slams Media, Says She’s ‘Comfortable’ Not Speaking at Convention

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

That doesn’t mean she isn’t speaking, Einstein, just that it’s OK if she doesn’t. And that, incidentally, was in response to the brouhaha she created by complaining to Newsweek about not yet receiving an invite.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Actualy I take it back… I’ve not been a donor to the RNC after 2008, I’ve been a SarahPac donor…

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Mitt has never attacked Sarah Palin. Governor Palin herself has said “there is no hatchet that needs to be buried or olive branch that needs to be passed“.

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Will you be reconsidering that decision now that governor Palin has affirmed her support for Governor Romney and has said that she is “thankful that the GOP has a strong candidate”?

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

What were Romney’s scorched Earth tactics against Palin, again? Why would he have any need to do that, when she didn’t run in the first place?

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Sweet Jesus!

McCain? The guy who threw the last election?

Guess I won’t be watching.

SAMinVA on August 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

MelonCollie on August 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Giggles. Yeah that’s right. She’s too good to be seen with the likes of Mitt and fragile little old Mitt couldn’t handle it. LMFAO!

MJBrutus on August 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I told you , it doesn’t matter since I live in CA and it’s not going to vote for Romney…he doesn’t get our money for the way he and his minions have treated Palin…period.

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Allen West should be the keynote speaker.

lonestar1 on August 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

It is by now common knowledge that Romney’s surrogates were hired
by the McCain 2008 presidential campaign and that they tried
to destroy Palin. I have never heard such crapola against a candidate either before or since then. Nicolle Wallace and Steve
Schmidt, etc. What a pair of DBags!

It is also common knowledge that Romney’s surrogates were behind
the false rumours regarding Caine, the personal attacks on
Gingrich, etc. That’s how they roll; not too much better than
Obama’s Chicago tactics. However, they will probably need these tactics against the one. Some might say “good thing” that they
practiced on their own party.

Palin is thankful that Romney will work hard to get the economy
back on track. She is smart; she knows that without a strong
economy nothing else really matters. Other than that, she knows
what most of us thinking people know, Romney is a rino.

That said, Palin has said that she will support ABO. That is
Romney. I feel the same way.

The repubs will never see a dime of many conservative’s money again. And why should
they change my mind about that? No reason that I can see.

Amjean on August 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Here’s a little back story from 2008 to now…..

it shows clearly who have been pulling strings, and who have condoned the efforts of smearing and damaging Sarah Palin from the get-go.

“So just who is the culprit? Is it Team Romney? or is it Team Rove/Bush?”

“Well, it is both but it started with Team Romney. They started the attacks as early as the convention. It wasn’t until later on that Team Rove saw it as an avenue to also clear the path for Jeb.”

“Need some proof?”

Green eyed Lady on August 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The people from his failed campaign in 2008 started in on Palin immediately even though they were now part of Her and Mc’Cain’s campaign… they tried to anonymously attack her right after the loss whch prompted the Bear in the Woods video about him…Romney saw Palin as the end of his chance at the nomination so he tried to take her out… too bad he wasted all that effort as she didn’t even run and had been telling us all along she would not run…remember you don’t need a title to effect change?

Had Palin run she’d be the presumptive nominee right now and the excitement would be huge that the conservatives finallly had the chance to really fight Obama and his policies…Instead we got a notorious flip flopper, non principled, no conviction, ambitious politician who’ll do or say anythig to get elected, who is pro abortion and gay marriage and the grandfather of Obmacare thorugh Romneycare…I still can’t beleive the GOP RNC Elites screwed us this way…

So it’s more than obvious they don’t want a lot to change, they just want to be in charge so they can pay off their cronies with our tax dollars..

I don’t think Sarah Palin wants to be at that miserable convention… she made that pretty clear by renting out her own space…

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

he doesn’t get our money for the way he and his minions have treated Palin

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

He hasn’t done anything to Sarah Palin. Palin herself said so.

Maybe one or more misguided Romney supporters has offended you personally, but that’s no reason to hold it against someone whom Sarah herself likes and supports.

I like Sarah Palin. I respect Sarah Palin. And when she says that there is “no hatchet that needs to be buried” and that she has a good relationship with Governor Romney, I believe Sarah Palin.

I don’t believe you should punish Mitt Romney for something that Palin says he didn’t do. Sarah mas made it clear she wants Mitt in the White House next January, you shouldn’t punish Sarah Palin by taking away something she wants.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I see we have to turn every thread about the convention into a poor wittle Sawah thwead. Aside from the tens of people on HA nobody really cares whether Palin will speak at the convention. HA isn’t Realsville. The same 6 people just repeat themselves on here and act like they’re a majority. What a bunch of babies. Sawah! Sawah! Sawhaaa! Sawhaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaaaaa!

Meow on August 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

He hasn’t done anything to Sarah Palin. Palin herself said so.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

If you want to run with that knock yourself out…I nor most of the Palinistas are going to be manipulated by your using Sarah’s polite words. She’s not going to torpedo Romney with Obama out in the horizon ready to sail back into POTUS… She hasn’t endoresed him though and, in the same breath as your stated quotes above, said she was concentrating on the down ticket races…

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Romney wasn’t trying to take her out or anything of the sort. And even if that were true, why does it matter since she didn’t run in the first place? I don’t understand why people “connected” to him making some off the record remarks about her is taken so personally by people. It’s politics.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM

There isn’t even any evidence that these people made these comments. Or that these people even existed.

There are commenters here who somehow have managed to not read anything about Senator Harry Reid in the last 5 days.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

WAIT! You REALLY think camp Romney wouldn’t have leaked it that Sarah Palin IS going to speak at the Convention when considering his major problems with Conservative and TEA Party voters today?

Really?

REALLY!!!

Um, do you also believe Mitt when he says the freedom killing Individual Mandate is a Conservative ideal?

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM

CCRWM on August 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I like Sarah.

I respect Sarah.

I believe Sarah

Apperantly, I’m the only one who does.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Support? Sarah is supporting Romney? ROTFLMAO!

I don’t think so, but if you feel better believing that feel free to do so. After all, Romney is also the Conservative candidate. /s

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Romney wasn’t trying to take her out or anything of the sort.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM

From an article written on 10.27.08 at the American Spectator:

ROMNEY ANTI-PALIN

Former Mitt Romney presidential campaign staffers, some of whom are currently working for Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin’s bid for the White House, have been involved in spreading anti-Palin spin to reporters, seeking to diminish her standing after the election. “Sarah Palin is a lightweight, she won’t be the first, not even the third, person people will think of when it comes to 2012,” says one former Romney aide, now working for McCain-Palin. “The only serious candidate ready to challenge to lead the Republican Party is Mitt Romney. He’s in charge on November 5th.”

Romney not only allowed his people to attack Sarah, he also let them give 0bama the 2008 win so he could run this year.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Meow on August 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Storms are brewin in your eyes. Wooooooaaahhh…

*AHEM* Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :D

Funny thing about these whiners is now that Sarah Palin as come out and revealed the truth about her relationship with Romney and affirmed her support for him, they are turning on their messiah and accusing her of lying.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

OMG Gracie… its deja vous… Gumby from yesterday morning reincarnated.

VietVet_Dave on August 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Oh, lookie who’s here, they gave you access to a computer there, at your mental asylum today, your weekly evaluation report must look good, bravo, well done, danno :)…but you know, you still have to take your meds, right….so, do tell, who are the ‘nundreds of people’ you talk to these days, are they real or imaginary? Oh, it’s your asylum inmates, aww, must be bonding day today, this is so sweet…and say, you guys talk politics and debate (is that part of your group activities there?), and then you take turns at impersonating a political leader or something…I get it, and your turn was at 1:22 PM, lovely, this will help improve your social interaction skills greatly, only in the real world people think a little differently and make a tad more sense…but hey, it’s a start….

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

John McCain? Is this a JOKE? He should be erased from GOP history as quickly as possible.

John Hill on August 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

John McCain. Yuck. I will skip that speech, thanks.

bitsy on August 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM

3:45 PM 8/6/12, the juxtaposition of the two photos, Gov Haley and waserman-schultz could not be more ironic.

doublee on August 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Ha…yes, I’m sure the Romney people, in cahoots with the McCain people, tanked in ’08 just so Romney could run this year. Makes perfect sense. /

And what’s with this thing about Romney “allowing” people to criticize her? You have no idea what he di or didn’t allow, and beyond that are you that thin skinned as to believe she’s beyond reproach or criticism?

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Well, no, Romney’s people have been nothing but swinish to Palin for the past three years.

Palin, for her part, has decided to sit back and wait and allow Romney to come to her.

Romney’s people, representing the Stupid Party, believed the Conservatives would have Nowhere to Go in November. Well, Romney’s people are Establishment GOP. Those people normally couldn’t beat Himmler in an Election for Mayor of Haifa, given the galactic nature of their stupidity. They basically expect the cons to come roaring out of the box because of the nature of Obama.

It’s a fool’s errand, and Obama will beat Romney like a drum if Romhey lays back and expects Con turnout as if he were the Second Coming of Reagan.

Romney needs Palin and Palin’s ability to turn out the Base. He’s only NOW coming to the conclusion that Reagan came to in June of the 1980 cycle when Reagan went about the business of burying the hatchet with the Moderates.

This is all of a piece of the Rockefeller/Goldwater story from the Cow Palace in 1964 that we’ve never been able to put to bed. Nixon was able to bridge the gap in 1960 and 1968, while Reagan was able to overcome by sheer force of personality and will. Romney is a moderate from the Rockefeller Wing who got the nomination by dint of money and negative ads. Everyone knows this. Now he has to run as a faux-conservative. He knows that the Movement People know that he’s a big phony.

That’s why he’ll need the laying on of hands from Palin. He’ll need Palin in the field for him, too.

What’s happening now is the outline of a deal between the two parties. Ignore the sniping you see between underlings like HA Posters and outside agitators like Bushtards who want Romney to fail because they want Jeb in 2016. Only look at what you see from Palin herself (who has been generous and conciliatory) and Romney (who hasn’t been trashing Palin as of late).

victor82 on August 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I like the list of speakers so far..I’m sure there will some more good ones!..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I”m not in Palin’s mind but IMO her words may have been good manners/being a team player. What would you expect her to say Romney is a bland AH RINO who should be cut off at the knees before he ruins the country and I’m just the gal to do it.? Sarah never told any of her supporters that they had to be in lockstep with her choices so I’m sure she’ll cope if some of her base doesn’t support Romney

And sorry but Romney does deserve the consequences pf the treatment dumped on Palin by others on his behalf. Didn’t Schmidt go to work for Romney? Ine has to think that Romney had no problem with Schmidt’s trashing of Palin – makes you wonder about his ability to judge someone’s character.

katiejane on August 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

OT: (apologies folks).

Dire Straits on August 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

You might like the video posted on Ace today:

scroll down.

gh on August 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Everybody pees in the pool.

John the Libertarian on August 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Good point!..:)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Why Palin should and will be invited to speak at the convention…….the Cheney’s.

What will happen if Palin is not invited is that every reporter on scene will ask every Republican where is Sarah Palin? Why isn’t she there? Should she have been allowed to speak? How many Republicans want to be in the position of answering those questions. What is the proper answer to those questions. McCain gets to speak but Palin doesn’t? Why?

Not inviting Palin will be a distraction from the conventions message. It will cause a LOT of stress and danger to every Republican there. Why not let her speak.

So pretend you are a Republican and answer why she doesn’t deserve being one of 27 speakers.

KMav on August 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM
If she was to speak @ the convention she would have to do so realizing that that attention-rightfully-wouldn’t all be on her.
No surprise that Gov. Palin would have a problem w/ that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

victor82 on August 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Right on. Excellent summary of the big picture.

rrpjr on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Never let it be said the conservative movement had a shortage of hand-wringers and worry worts. A partial list of speakers which doesn’t even include the Keynote, and watch them go apoplectic!

Adjoran on August 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

gh on August 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Thanks for the link!..Perfect..Made my day and put a smile on my face!..:):)

Dire Straits on August 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

No surprise that Gov. Palin would have a problem w/ that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Care to share what hole you pulled that unsourced opinion from?

katiejane on August 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

No surprise that Gov. Palin would have a problem w/ that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Uh oh…now you’ve said it! /

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

PS. The “Aryan” crack is a bit low, don’t you think?
portlandon on August 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Why did you put the word “Aryan” in quotes? I did not use that word so your comment is nothing but asshattery. Meanwhile, do you have a problem with words like “libertarian” too? If so, you easily offend and if anyone needs a nap it would be you.

Apparently FOX has no problem with someone with a regular program speaking at the Convention. /s
katiejane on August 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM

No and why should they? Maybe we’ll hear from John Bolton too – a regular guest and hopefully a future member of Romney’s cabinet.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Jeb Bush isn’t going to anywhere near the dais at the Republican’s convention, not this cycle at least.

No surprise that Gov. Palin would have a problem w/ that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

She’s been a good soldier. If she’s invited to speak, she’ll do her best to make party gets out the vote in November – and not just for “her” candidates. She’s a team player – period.

Jurisprudence on August 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

katiejane on August 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Is she beyond criticism or something?

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

they are turning on their messiah and accusing her of lying.

Alberta_Patriot on August 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Um… really?

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

that attention-rightfully-wouldn’t all be on her.
No surprise that Gov. Palin would have a problem w/ that.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I disagree. Nevertheless, let me offer my own analysis of a peculiar phenomenon I’ve noticed…

If she was to speak @ the convention posts appear on HotAir about Palin she annoyinglittletwerp seems compelled to offer negative comments would have to do so apparently without realizing that that attention some people-rightfully-wouldn’t all be on her believe Palin speaks for grassroots Republicans and deserves a forum to speak within the party.
By now, it’s no surprise that Gov. Palin annoyinglittletwerp would have a problem w/ that.

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

What? No Dole?

Dole is for indies, right?

LOL!

What a lame first list!

TheAlamos on August 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

LMAO! You’ve never been to a site when it was announced Sarah would appear there. Trust me, there would be more than enough attention on Sarah, maybe even more so than the upcoming VP pick.

changer1701 on August 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Your #1 problem is that you have ZERO access to the people working inside of the GOP. That is why you remain unable to distinguish political talking points from facts.

You could easily change that if you wanted to. Go volunteer to work with the GOP a few days per week if you want to discover the truth. Only your lack of concern will keep you in the dark.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

jimver on August 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Mr. Irrelevant! Welcome back!!!

How are those nonexistant efforts to get Romney elected of yours working out for you? Still keeping that threadbare chair toasty?

BTW, while you were going out of your way to do nothing of relevance in the political arena I spent close to 20 hours talking to voters attending our County Fair. I managed to meet ZERO excited Romney supporters out of the hundreds I talked to, but more than a few were interested to learn more about Gary Johnson. Who would have thunk it!!!

Also, tomorrow I’ll be winning my election for precinct delegate with more than half of the votes cast, and that will get me sent to the next MIGOP Convention so I can make the important decisions for the sheeple like yourself, so do cheer up. ;o)

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Um… really?

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

That post you replied to was not at all based in reality, but that is what happens to the mind of a human being when it gets so close to the contagion known as liberalism.

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM

DannoJyd on August 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

HaHaHaHaHa. You sound like MidwestBarbiePrincesse who thought she was in a position to tell everyone else what to think, say and do because she’d volunteered for a campaign in California – which we were to believe made her an expert, or something.

Buy Danish on August 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

cs89 on August 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

As a Texas-Gawd, I love saying that-I appreciate her help w/ getting Cruz some more visibility. She helped him a lot. She’s helped lots of candidates…and while doing so, once again gets the spotlight shining on her. She needs the spotlight on her. @ the convention that spotlight needs to be on the NOMINEE and his chosen veep-who has much as I hope otherwise will likely NOT be Bobby Jindal I suspect-not on Palin.
When do you think she’s going all Tiffany-Mall rat-because at that venue SHE will be the ‘star’ surround by her adoring fans who will gush over her and her absolutely ‘perfect conservatism’ and take digs at..you know…the guy who will be the actual nominee.
In 2008-I was voting for Sarah Palin.
In 2012-I’m voting for Mitt Romney.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM